Plekanec: ‘Got to go back to our game’ (Video)

Plekanec

(File photo)

Things haven’t been pretty since the Canadiens nailed down a playoff spot last week and followed it up with back-to-back humiliating losses.

Since they clinched the spot, their intensity, concentration and work ethic levels have dropped markedly “with the results we see. It’s not complicated,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said after the Philadelphia Flyers handily beat the Habs 7-3.

“There’s no work ethic out there right now. We don’t pay attention to detail. It’s disappointing,” Therrien said.

Asked if he was worried about the team’s defensive play, which has been sub-par over the past two games, Therrien said he wasn’t “because I know what we’re able to do. We just have to pay attention to details, increase our intensity level, increase a lot of things that we’re not currently doing.”

“We’ve just got to go back to our game,” said forward Tomas Plekanec. “We’ve got to start skating. We’ve got to start winning the battles. That was our key for the biggest part of the season. We were winning the battles. We were on the puck. We were skating. We were faster than the other teams…and we definitely didn’t play like that tonight, that’s for sure.”

You can hear what Plekanec had to say below:

You can hear what Brendan Gallagher had to say below:

You can hear what Andre Markov had to say below:

1. nychabsfan says:

Could everyone just step back and calm down .
    Clearly they came unprepared for these games and they paid the price ,
    pardon the pun.
    All I ever hear is the MC fans are the greatest fans in the world .
    the minute there is a slide so many posters on here fold like a cheap tent.Coincidentally these will be the same people who will be extolling the teams virtues when this little mess gets turned around ,and it will .
    They have enough talent in place and who is the idiot who says trade
    Subban .As for Pleks,he has been this teams hardest working player and under the radar leader.If Price can’t pull it off then we have a situation similar to 2010 and Budaj will step up and the concerns of a 6 million dollar bench sitter is MB’s to deal with in the off season.Also,Beauleau ,to my understanding is not a fracophone,he is an Ontairio Boy with a french last name n’est pas ?

2. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

The Habs have caught many teams unprepared for them this season and many teams in the East have suffered multiple injuries like the Rangers, Devils and Pens etc. Now it’s crunch time and everybody’s playing hard and hungry and the Habs are folding. I’m very disappointed in this crew. They will be out in 4. It’s time for MB to get a legit big-time goalie and get rid of Moen, DD, Kabs and Gio and bring in a legit brawler like John Scott or Bordeleau who can also play some hockey and a legit power forward like Lucic. For f–k sake don’t bring up Beaulieu or Tinordi. They are not ready for the NHL and it doesn’t matter that one’s a francophone and both are 1st round draft picks. Pateryn is way more ready than those 2 put together. Trade Subban and Gio to the Oilers for 1 of either Yakupov or Taylor Hall or RNH AND Paajarvi and/or throw in Price and take Eberle and Ryan Whitney.

3. The Puckhound says:

Tomas Plekanec should show up.. .he’s been brutal for the past 12 games along with the other centerman Desharnais…TOO small

• KenD29 says:

could not agree with you more re Plecs! For goodness sake, he was plain awful on one of the PK goals. A PeeWee player could have done better. He just needed to get in the way of the Flyers forward to push him towards the boards and what does he do, a little stick swing and then before you know it, puck is in the back of the net.
      To quote Plecs from a couple of seasons ago ” Played like a little girl”!

All About Work Ethic

4. le but says:

dont put all the blame on Price,with a team playing that bad,no one could save them. too many mistakes and lack of help cost you.got to pull up their socks and move on.

5. AceMagnum says:

Just how much crap can Carey’s bed hold?

6. Habcouver says:

6 more games before the new season to get back on track – I am excited and do trust the habs get it together. They’ve exceeded all of our expectations in the shortened season, regardless of how the chips fall or stand from here on.

Waiting patiently for #25

7. stevied123 says:

Seems that emelin was helping #79 more than the other way around… Also seems the pacioretty is sorely missing the space cole was creating for him (not that i dont like the trade). Keaton ellerby (price’s cousin) was available for a 5th round pick he went to florida.. We missed the boat on sestito and torres, moen is here to cash checks and white is a phsycho. This years team is a work in progress, did everyone think this was all going to continue? I just hope we dont get embarassed in the playoffs.. But this team seems to thrive on being counted out…… Ghg

8. AH says:

See Gally during that interview, usually smiling all the time, man did he look pissed! Probably thinking “man how much longer am I going to keep getting destroyed with no protection?”

9. habsfan0 says:

That’s a long walk Boone is taking his dog on.
    Where is ALN?

• Laramy87 says:

Do you really need an ALN after that loss? 1 word – Embarassing. There thats all you need to know about last night.

I sure as hell hope the Habs figure this out, this is not how the habs should be playing heading down the stretch drive. The leafs could pass us and we could end up starting on the road

10. habsfan0 says:

Is Michel Therrien still the coach?

• Timo says:

You know, as much as I dislike Therrien, damn, this one is not on him. Players need to get whatever is that stuck in their rear ends out and start earning their pay.

I dislike Therrien for many thinks but tonight it is all on the stiffs that looked liked they were still celebrating making playoffs (some effing achievement) a bit too much.

11. nunacanadien says:

shrimpgonta

This is the time when veterans need to pull the team. And Habs are saddle with the same useless heartless veterans from the last year. Gallagher can’t carry this team. Plekanec, Gionta, Moen, Markov (urgh), Gorges, Pacioretty, Price FFS, have to get their shit together and lead by example, instead of stating recycled cliches with sad puppy eyes in front of the cameras.

• AH says:

So true Timo, where is the leadership on this team? This is where I really question Gionta’s ability as a “Captain”. He’s consistently one of the worst forwards out there. Oh and who are the assistants, Markov and Gorges..enough said.

• D Mex says:

IF you watch the most recent edition of 24CH, believe you will hear MB state, again, that this season is about evaluating the team, and it’s unlikely that team leadership will be overlooked.
        Obviously enough, it’s a process that can’t be completed overnight, but nothing I have seen to date in MB, or the team he is surrounded by, leaves me to doubt that the right observations will be made – and dealt with – in due course.
        For context, I look to places like Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, and come away feeling just fine about MB and his management team – every time.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Timo says:

Guaranteed that whatever conclusions they come up with most of us here could have told Bergevin before the season began. There will be some truly “shocking revelations”.

• D Mex says:

I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that it’s a virtual guarantee that Bergevin would ignore inputs from an eternal cynic IF he were to hear them in the first place.
            You DO realize that not all NHL management teams are as inept as those you see in Alberta, don’t you ?

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Shite Timo …like I said, I like You …but You’re hound dog persona is also very very tiresome

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…no :) this time

…I went on a rant, but after posting I decided whatever I say to You is a waste of breath Tim

• Timo says:

I don’t “get my jollies”. Contrary to the popular believe it truly pisses me off when they lose. I truly care whether they win or lose. The reason I talk trash about them is because I don’t care one iota about them on a personal level. I don’t know them. I never met them. I don’t relate to them. I can’t relate to them since they live in a world I’ve never been to. So to me they are nothing more than commodities that provide entertainment (of sorts).

I know if something went bad in my life, if I struggle, none of these guys would even know about it, just like they don’t know when I write shit about them on some web forum. Their lives don’t become better or worse when I call them names. Nothing that I do on this forum on in the rest of my life impacts them in any shape or form. So don’t feel too bad about them. They will get by.

So again, I’ve said this several times before, I want them to win as much as you do, or perhaps even more. For some sick twisted reason I want to see CH win the stanley cup. I wish I didn’t, but that’s a personal issue I need to work on.

Meanwhile, I will be reacting in the same way when they win and when they lose. Again, it does NOT affect any of these players on any level.