As in Stuart.
The Red Wings defenceman, who will become an unrestricted free agent at noon tomorrow, was the most popular Plan B option among callers to the CKAC morning show today.
They think he’d make a good number four D on the Canadiens. This was Stuart’s role in Detroit, teamed with Niklas Kronwall.
A former first-round draft choice (third overall) by San Jose in 1998, Stuart was dealt to Boston in the Joe Thornton trade. The B ruins couldn’t sign him and dealt Stuart to Calgary with Wayne Primeau for Chuck Kobasew and Andrew Ference.
Last summer Stuart signed a one-year contract with L.A. for $3.5 million. The Kings dealt him to Detroit at the deadline for draft picks.
Other suggestions by CKAC listeners:
• Wade Redden as number four D (too expensive!)
• Markus Naslund (Interesting possibility)
• Brendan Morrison (Canadiens have enough small centres)
• Corey Perry, a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet for Anaheim’s RFA (Terrific player, but he’s the future of the Ducks … and Brian Burke would fly a 747 into the Bell Centre if Bob Gainey stole him)
• Sean Avery (you gotta be kidding!)