Picard is a bargain

One of the good things about the salary cap – from a team’s perspective – is that there are some bargains out there.

The Canadiens added veteran defenceman Alexandre Picard on the weekend and he signed a two-way contract which will pay hinm a meagre $600,000 if he sticks in the NHL. That’s less than the $850,000 he made last season in Ottawa and Carolina. Picard will collect $105,000 Cdn if he plays in Hamilton. He and Curtis Sanford are the only Bulldogs earning more $100,000 and that’s a recognition of their veteran status.

Juniors want Avtsin

Bruins cap situation, after signing Seguin

Anthony! how many Summit game tickets do you need. At least I don’t have to mail them to Cape Breton. CLICK HERE

Fan Summit Updates

2. naweed235 says:

Well, atleast we know for sure that Gorges will NOT be the captain… My moneys on  Gionta

P.s i got that from his interview on RDS

3. ZepFan2 says:

He wasn’t exactly “decent” in the playoffs.

He was -12.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

4. lenny says:

impossible, nobody hates them more than us

5. WarHero says:

Picard is worse bro, trust me on that. Ask ANY Sens fan. lol Also, at least MAB could score and was decent in the playoffs :)

————————————————————————

6. Curtoph says:

As badly as MAB scared the sh*t out of you when he turned over the puck?

7. WarHero says:

Finally back from vacation!

I like the Picard signing for the price and the extra depth. He will most likely play on the 3rd pair (if at all) with the big club. The biggest downside he has is his turnovers. I watched him play a tonne here in Ottawa and can’t count how many times I tounge lashed him for giveaways.

————————————————————————

8. Caper says:

Hamilton is not Laffs territory. They hate Toronto as much as the rest of us.

9. aemarchand11 says:

Bring em back to Halifax. HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) has grown quite a bit since the last time the AHL was around these parts. The Mooseheads are great, and when they were playing well the arena had pretty solid attendance.

If the Habs farm team was there, I would get season tickets in a flash!

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

10. B says:

They draw more in Hamilton than the Marlies do in Toronto.

The location is central and very near a major airport which is good for expediting retreival of call ups.

If they want more attendance then perhaps they could lower the ticket prices, but they seem to be happy enough at their current price point. Montreal has plenty of $s and I think there are bigger priorities with their farm team than just maximizing revenue there. There have been some rumours about the owner possibly moving them to a new facility being built in Laval, but nothing more than rumours so far.

11. observer says:

They’ve tried it before with the Voyageurs and just did not draw in Montreal. But a top Junior A team like the Jr. Canadiens of the OHA once were certainly did draw in Montreal. In fact even had a bigger crowd one Sunday night vs. Oshawa than Habs ever did to that point.

12. lenny says:

anywhere in Laval would be good, although they may take away from the juniors….but at least in Quebec…maybe quebec city?

13. nightmare_49 says:

The Enforcers / David Staples / The Cult of Hockey

The Oilers can try to rely upon so-called team toughness, but real deterrence doesn’t come from the fear of having to face Ladi Smid and Jason Strudwick in a fight, as willing as these two are to stand up for their teammates. Deterrence comes from having to face a Marty McSorley or a Dave Semenko.

Get over it! The Blackhawks are still in good shape / by Adam Jahns / Chicao Sun-Times

Move on, get over it and get to know Jack Skille, Bryan Bickell, Jake Dowell, Viktor Stalberg and, of course, veteran goalie Marty Turco.

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Q of the day.

Should the Habs move their AHL franchise and if so where?

The Bulldogs seem to be drawing like 40 fans a game out in Maple Leaf country, despite having one of the best teams in  the AHL.

If our prospects were playing right here in Montreal it would draw huge crowds, especially when the team is doing well. They could play Friday nights and Sunday afternoons at the Bell Ctr.

On the other hand they could go fly the red white and blue banner in the Maritimes as they once did.

15. nightmare_49 says:

What’s in a Name?

by Robert Vollman / Puck Prospectus

16. SlovakHab says:

4x No and Gionta.

17. Rudy says:

I don’t miss Bob Cole!

18. Bugs says:

If he doesn’t use it, Numo, that means he doesn’t have one.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

19. Number31 says:

He does have a rocket from the point but he never really uses it. Drove Sens fans up the wall.

20. Muckbringer says:

ohhh…ohhh

21. avatar_58 says:

Man…….I miss hockey :(

22. matmacat says:

wow that’s so offensive. You’re a dick.

because you changed your avatar 4 times tonight

24. Muckbringer says:

WoW….my mind spinns, please, tell me why im less of a hab, please?

25. Bugs says:

Epic fail.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

26. Bugs says:

A taller Bergie??? You mean a taller Bergie WITHOUT a missile from the point?

Why not a shorter O’B?

Or a wider Gorges?

Or a younger, not-as-competent Hamr?

…younger bergie…

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

27. A. Berke says:

you know nothing about hockey.

and you do?

Ali B.

28. Say Ash says:

This is what you have to do with Gomez, and then his play becomes a treat. Similarly, once I ignored MAB’s defence, he became a superstar.

29. WarHero says:

Only 13? That’s not bad for MAB, lol

————————————————————————

30. SmartDog says:

You win for being succinct.

And I agree 100%!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

31. WarHero says:

I’ll have to check my finances and get back to you Ian. Vacation and moving have kinda tapped the wife and I dry.

————————————————————————

32. madcap_habsfan says:

really? thats the  first time i heard that ..i don’t know , my money is on gionta, i don’t know why i just think he’s the one they picked

33. madcap_habsfan says:

i have been looking for one as well apparently there were some downtown at the eaton center and at the local mall out near me they had a bunch of red ones  …and you don’t live in mtl so that’s no help but i’ve been told the exist

34. Castor says:

Honestly, if Gomez was making 3 million, he’d be my favourite player. It’s hard to ignore his salary, but if you do, he’s great.

35. WarHero says:

Did you not see the “(if at all)”? Also, keep in mind that Markov is hurt for the first 2 months or so and Picard has more NHL games under his belt then any of the boys in Hamilton. He may (but I doubt it) see some third pair action.

————————————————————————

36. light_n_tasty says:

No x 4, Markov.

37. Bill J says:

ARGH! were and all it’s other versions, are my Achilles heel I must admit lol

38. G-Man says:

1. No 2. yes 3. no- vacation time 4. no. 5. Most probable: Capt. Gomez

39. Number31 says:

1. No.

2. No. Even Hawks fans admit to overrating him. I’ve watched him many times this year and frankly I don’t like his style at all. I find his play sloppy, almost everything is “solved” by a paddle down, rebounds go wherever, a rather typical Euro-style goalie (ie sits on his goal line), his glove hand is usually upside-down, and say what you will about their low shot-total but he has zoned out many times too (just didn’t matter since the Hawks already had 5 on the board). Frankly there are other options out there for a better price (or even the same price). And I’m not just saying that because I’m a Turco fan :p

3. This speculation about a hold out is bollocks and, well, speculation created by news hungry bored journalists who have nothing else to do with their summer and seriously lack in any Habs news so they feel they have to use their opinions of made up malarkey to fill articles instead of just getting a blog. He could be waiting for his birthday to sign for some reason. He could be waiting until he comes back here to sign in person. He could be busy at camp training and will do it after. He could be a little bit preoccupied with family considering the Cariboo region of BC is practically entirely engulfed in flames so I think he’s got his mind on something a little more important right there…

4. Hell no.

5. Whoever they pick is fine by me but if it were my choice and those were the only two options I’d go Gionta C, Markov A.

40. ooder says:

I was thinking just that the other day… get them to play with each other (lololol that sounds funny)

and bring them up as a unit in the near future.

make a KLA line, it won’t be the KLM line but good enough :)

——————

88 is the new 23

41. showey47 says:

1) no,too big and too young to give up on. Would develop properly if he was allowed to make the same mistakes and still play like mab did.

2)If i was running the hawks,yes. Huet should have been dumped over a month ago.

3)Price isn’t officially a holdout till training camp starts.

4)he would probably be useless in JM system.

5)gio.

42. Mr. Biter says:

Hey, i liked MAB, the most exciting player in hockey. Feared by all goalies at both ends of the ice.

43. RGM says:

Well Bill I guess he showed you.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

44. mbplekfan says:

Picard will spend most of the season in the pressbox or in Hamilton. I pick Hamilton.

45. Muckbringer says:

load it with leafs best players over the last 48yrs

Yes. Gomez. A great edition.

Wrap your pea brain around that.

47. punkster says:

Oh, this otta be good.

So tell us what you think. What would habstown do if he were GM?

FREE TIMO!

48. yathehabsrule says:

Then please enlightnen us to your thoughts on the topic, oh wise one.

Not sure if you watched any hockey after the Olympics, but many felt that he began to show his value as the season progressed and through the post-season. We’ve yet to see the offensive numbers comparable to what he had in Jersey, but his two-way play is certainly an asset.

Don’t forget that injuries had him playing with different players most of last season.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

49. habstown says:

you’re a joke!  Gomez a great addition?  you’re too funny. HAHAHAHAHAHA

you know nothing about hockey.

Since you’ve corrected me on the fact that it indeed was a trade and not a signing, my bad, I must inform you that the expression is correctly spelt as it were. :p

51. Storm Man says:

Molson Coors Q2 profits up 27 percent maybe now we can sign Price :)

52. SeriousFan09 says:

That would be an awesome line to watch, please let it be…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. Number31 says:

At that price I don’t mind Picard so much now. He’s essentially a taller MAB at a cheaper price so whatevs. I just hope he’s not out there when we need O’Byrne to throw some hits around…

54. Bill J says:

Then I would far prefer Leblanc join him in the AHL.

And MAYBE – Kristo wants to join the party, and the future #1 line in MTL gets some ice time together in HAM.

:D

Avstin – Leblanc – Kristo.

Leblanc & Kristo have played together too :D

55. SmartDog says:

1. No.  I like O’byrne and think he’s worth his salt.

2. No

3. I agree this is a red herring.  So no…. and as people said he’s not a hold-out.  Wrong word. Though he is our last important signing.

4. I’m surprised more people aren’t tempted by Ryder at 2 million.  I am… but I agree with the majority – no.  Only because I think he’s a square peg and can’t seem to find the hole he fits in.

5. Markov.  I favor Cami or Pleks actually.  I love the way these guys talk more than anyone.  I like they way their moxy and I see them talking to younger players a lot.    But I’d take Marky over Gio because I think Marky is the anchor while Gio is a leader in a different way.  I also fear having our leader be the smallest guy in the league.  More attention, more slashes, more hassle is not what Gio needs IMHO.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

56. Muckbringer says:

dont want to sound sarcastic, he is indeed an asset

57. Bill J says:

LOL

OK

Philip, a member as of this post for 5 days and 7 hours.

Likely born in 82 judging on your fan since.

You my young friend know QUITE a bit less about hockey then I do.

There is ultimately no point in discussing this any further. Goodbye Noobie.

58. Muckbringer says:

sure, just dont send him in alone

59. Bill J says:

Gainey didn’t sign him (before uninformed young minds believe this somehow lol)

Gainey traded for him, to essentially be the “center-piece” as it where to build the team around.

11 players in one day, is “chemistry clean house”.

Gomez & his work ethic is what started this rebuild, and I for one could care less if Gainey messed up the first 5 years, he started the 6th with a bang.  And I like it much more then ANY Habs team I’ve seen in the last 15 years, and yes that includes Theodore’s great season.  Because they played as a team.

I agree HH, if we stop worrying about the Cap issue.  AS we are clearly not GM’s and should not worry about it, Gomez is a great asset to this team.

60. Bill J says:

#4 – Paper Airplanes.  Those would be expensive Paper airplanes I tell ya.

;)

61. Muckbringer says:

agreed, we couldve traded price and others for vinny with his cap hit…WHEW!

62. Bill J says:

lol @ baby-sitters.

Boone IS the baby-sitter.

Seen anything from Hickey, Mio or Stubbs?

LOL edit

Hickey clearly is on the case since this thread was made by him, lol but I meant in general.  Seems like Boone was the one keeping us busy :)

63. punkster says:

Not if you and PB go on a tear.

FREE TIMO!

Time for H²’s 2¢? As much as people go on and on about Gomez’ salary and his supposed poor numbers (yes I see intangibles) I for one am glad to have him on the team. Just comparing him to Ryder as has been done tonight on these pages shows just how valuable of a player he really is. It’s a great signing IMHHO by Gainey, salary cap notwithstanding. ;-)

65. punkster says:

I’m going to look at these questions differently than some of your others, take a kind of step back rather than let my Habs familiarity cloud my answers.

1. No. OB is young, he’s big, he has skills and he’s learning, things all teams look for in a solid D man. It is often pointed out here that Ds take time to mature. Give him more ice time and let’s see how he performs this season.

2. Tough one given the timing. Yes, if he was in the mix when we traded Halak because he is likely a more capable choice than Auld. But the timing wasn’t right so, no I wouldn’t take him now.

3. No. You assume the hold-out is Price. Others assume the hold-out is the Habs. There are other explanations out there as well (it’s the holidays, or, the deal is essentially done anyways, or, the Habs are shopping him, among other things). It’s a business decision for all parties concerned so I’m not holding that against anyone.

4. Yes. Again this is an easier one when you stand back.

5. Gionta.

FREE TIMO!

66. Jbird says:

1) Nope

2) depends on many too many things.

3) No – and like has been said, he is not a hold out.  If he does not sign by camp then yes it would reflect very poorly on him – I would suggest reconstructive brain surgery for him if he did that.

4) No

5) Gionta

67. Bill J says:

I don’t normally answer these, but eh… I do want to hear your answers though BTW ;)

1. NO, not today anyways.  Totally depends on the development of the youth down in HAM.  Development of Tinordi, and whether Gill wants to return after this season.

2. NO.  No reason to start the young goalie competition again, it IMO did not work for the Habs.  And created a sh!tstorm of a debate in MTL about a position that really never was the problem in MTL.  Scoring WAS the problem, and I believe a delay in team chemistry is to blame.  This season will be better IMO.

3. I do not believe it is a hold out as much as him considering his options. IE he may have several contract offers on the table, term, salary being the two main points.  This is just my personal speculation.  So to answer your question, NO… Because I believe he is thinking about it, and I respect him for that.

4. Hell NO! – NO NO NO NO, we do not need paper plane throwing players on this team.  The various elements that made the 2008-09 & previous seasons rather “inconsistent”, have almost all left.  And frankly speaking the Habs are better as a result.

5. Given the choice of THOSE two particular candidates, GIONTA. Because while Markov seems to be a perfect fit.  The team captain in the absence of speaking french, MUST be a good English speaking communicator.  As the team Captain is often required to speak to reporters.  Markov has improved, but IMO when comparing these two, Gionta gets the edge.  Personally, I think Cammy makes a better Captain.  He lives in the “area” as compared to ANY of the other candidates, LOVES the media and handles himself extremely well at it also.

What ever happened to the night out on the town? Surely you can leave us kids alone with baby-sitters for a few hours.

Does Chara go undercover in this reality show?

70. Muckbringer says:

x#2

71. Muckbringer says:

maybe

youre mad

they know its gonna happen so why rush

id only take ryder on a break away

anybodies guess

1. Not until the trade deadline and only if an opportunistic enough situation presented itself or was made.

2. I can make anything work however I wouldn’t go for Niemi while Price is still in play.

3. I don’t see it as a Price hold-out. Very little details have been divulged and anything up to this point is purely speculation.

4. Ryder makes Gomez look like a steal. So no!

5. Neither. I’d rather Plekanec for some odd reason! But if I only had the choice, Markov if he gets signed and can stay healthy otherwise Gio. All good choices however. I think Gomez, Gorges, Gill and Cammy are candidates too.

73. Muckbringer says:

sorry, to answer your questions better

3, no