Photos: Carey Price’s new mask

In a very special way, Carey Price’s new mask celebrates the Canadiens’ centennial – in fact, the Habs only turn 100 on Dec. 4.

It features paintings of some celebrated Canadiens numbers on the left and right and magnificent likenesses of Hall of Famers Gump Worsley on the left and Ken Dryden on the right.

The problem is, it wasn’t supposed to be Ken Dryden. It was supposed to be Jacques Plante.

I had a fun chat with Toronto-based designer, artist and painter David Arrigo this evening about the mixup; he feels terrible about it all, an honest mistake having created a truly one-of-a-kind mask. But mistake and all, Price loves it and will wear it before it is sold at some point down the road for charity.

The story is here, and below are five photos of the mask courtesy of Arrigo. Check out his website here for more of his work.

(Price is back in red Vaughn Velocity pads this season, by the way, saying, “I look as big in red as in white.” No time for superstitition, he says.)

Images below courtesy of David Arrigo:

1. notbigbird says:

Why do they never heed this advice? Drives me crazy.

2. punkster says:

Warning:

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

(We now return to our regularly scheduled programming)

3. 4 habs 2010 says:

have you taken a look at the hab’s goalies recently. Price is a joke! minor leaguer at best. At what’ guarantee do you have  that 3 smurfs will out score a big leafs team?   the joke is this year’s edition of the team with the most midgets. habs in 10th pace!

4. ParrySoundHabber says:

I’ve gigged at Lee’s but i’m not familiar with Gilmours…I’m used to backstage dressing rooms with comp booze and food ;)

5. camel_larry says:

leafs D will be very difficult to play against this year

leafs D is fantastic

“habs fans will be dreaming about (their D)”

“Im a freaking panzy who cheers for the leafs”

“ I see the habs winning only 2 games vs the leafs”

RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

BUGS! COME QUICK! RED ALERT!! REEED AALLLEEEERRTT!!!

AAAH!!!!

TML = Too Many Losses

6. Habscore says:

yea after two of those expensive drinks ..i get more excited and scream more!! lol  and then it makes me wanna go to the washroom so i stop right there

—– go habs f*ckin go, AMEN!!! —–

7. Habscore says:

LOL!

—– go habs f*ckin go, AMEN!!! —–

8. Mr Dobby says:

Hahahahahahhaha, that’s great. Freaken pansy.

9. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I don’t know about the bar (I am 15) but I have been to Bloor Street a lot of times. I love the sight..the skyscrapers etc. Sort of like a mini New York. lol

Wait for Price to bloom…it’s his ‘Prime Time’ in 3-4 years.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Their D is tough but Montreal’s set up a strong D-group as well and with Montreal boasting Offence, the series will be a split of 3-3, or perhaps 4-2 in Mtl’s favour but a 6-game sweep highly unlikely I think for either side.

Montreal has enough fast skaters to move past their slower D and bang pucks in.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. chuckles3 says:

Off topic, anyone here ever go to Gilmour’s on Bloor Street here in Toronto? Any good?

I hear it’s the only Habs-friendly bar around, and it seems like I’ll have to drop in to watch the season opener before going to see Sufjan Stevens across the street at Lee’s

12. carey31price.com says:

AWESOME! Love the article and the photos!

13. choover says:

Komisarek has the Bruin flu.

14. sYstem21 says:

So true, problem is they make me scream more…and cost a fortune..thank god for my flask ;)

————————
    Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien haut.
    Vive La Sainte-Flanelle!

15. matmacat says:

Just finished watching the leaf bruins game on justin.tv.  Got a glimpse at leafs fans.  They were just as bad as the habs fans on that server, nothing but unfounded statements.  That said, Khadri looks very promising.  I wish we had gotten to him first!

16. andrewberkshire says:

Same here, I usually need an overpriced drink just to be able to talk by then!

17. sYstem21 says:

Totally! My voice is usually shot by the 2nd period, lol!

————————
    Vive La Sainte-Flanelle!

18. likehoy says:

article between cammy and gomez getting some chemistry

gomez seems good with the media.

- thanks for everything, saku koivu.

19. sYstem21 says:

I’ll be there with bells on screamin’ “Go Habs!” at the top on my lungs at the end of the national anthem like I always do from section 321 (those of you in the press box, listen for it!)

Whoot!!!!!! Here we go again!!!!

————————