Photos: Carey Price’s new mask

In a very special way, Carey Price’s new mask celebrates the Canadiens’ centennial – in fact, the Habs only turn 100 on Dec. 4.

It features paintings of some celebrated Canadiens numbers on the left and right and magnificent likenesses of Hall of Famers Gump Worsley on the left and Ken Dryden on the right.

The problem is, it wasn’t supposed to be Ken Dryden. It was supposed to be Jacques Plante.

I had a fun chat with Toronto-based designer, artist and painter David Arrigo this evening about the mixup; he feels terrible about it all, an honest mistake having created a truly one-of-a-kind mask. But mistake and all, Price loves it and will wear it before it is sold at some point down the road for charity.

The story is here, and below are five photos of the mask courtesy of Arrigo. Check out his website here for more of his work.

(Price is back in red Vaughn Velocity pads this season, by the way, saying, “I look as big in red as in white.” No time for superstitition, he says.)

Images below courtesy of David Arrigo:

1. oshawahabsfan says:

Next to watching it at home, it would be your best bet in Toronto. Been there a few times, the atmosphere is great and it’s nice to know you can catch a game a meet some fellow Habs fans for a beer in downtown Toronto. Be sure to go early there was no seats left when I went last year and I got there right at 7:00

2. Exit716 says:

You mean the stupid penalty he took in game four of the Philly series in 2008 just after the Habs came back to tie the game 2-2, leading to Briere’s game winner on the PP?

3. TorontoHabsFan says:

I think you mean Kilgour’s, it’s on the same side of the street as Lee’s (don’t want you getting lost and missing the game before going to such an awesome concert! :)

It’s pretty good, they’ve corrected some of the television issues by putting up two new flat screens not behind the bar. It’s pretty good, and on opening night there’s sure to be lots of habs jerseys in attendance.

4. ManApart says:

Nice site, but don’t get the Price obsession. I hope he does well, but he’s been hard to cheer for so far in his career.

5. Bill H says:

I’ve been to Gilmour’s.  Its a small screen behind the bar.  Arrive early for a decent seat.  Its Habs friendly, but the night I was there, there wasn’t much excitement in the room.  But at least its not the leafs on the tube.  That’s what you get everywhere else in TO.

6. ParrySoundHabber says:

Thanks for the link! I noticed it just now but i appreciate it very much…peace

7. G-Man says:

Please go to Laffs Upside/Down and their legions of laffs D is fantastic fans. Gimme a break- they have no goaltending and no offense. Their D better be fantastic or they won’t win many games, will they?

Beliveau is the best that ever was.

8. A Concerned Follower says:

I too have to miss the season opener because of Sufjan Stevens. One Last “Whoo-hoo!” for Montreal!

9. notbigbird says:

Why do they never heed this advice? Drives me crazy.

10. punkster says:

(We now return to our regularly scheduled programming)

11. 4 habs 2010 says:

have you taken a look at the hab’s goalies recently. Price is a joke! minor leaguer at best. At what’ guarantee do you have  that 3 smurfs will out score a big leafs team?   the joke is this year’s edition of the team with the most midgets. habs in 10th pace!

12. ParrySoundHabber says:

I’ve gigged at Lee’s but i’m not familiar with Gilmours…I’m used to backstage dressing rooms with comp booze and food 😉

13. camel_larry says:

leafs D will be very difficult to play against this year

leafs D is fantastic

“habs fans will be dreaming about (their D)”

“Im a freaking panzy who cheers for the leafs”

” I see the habs winning only 2 games vs the leafs”

TML = Too Many Losses

14. Habscore says:

yea after two of those expensive drinks ..i get more excited and scream more!! lol  and then it makes me wanna go to the washroom so i stop right there

—– go habs f*ckin go, AMEN!!! —–

15. Habscore says:

—– go habs f*ckin go, AMEN!!! —–

16. Mr Dobby says:

Hahahahahahhaha, that’s great. Freaken pansy.

17. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I don’t know about the bar (I am 15) but I have been to Bloor Street a lot of times. I love the sight..the skyscrapers etc. Sort of like a mini New York. lol

Wait for Price to bloom…it’s his ‘Prime Time’ in 3-4 years.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Their D is tough but Montreal’s set up a strong D-group as well and with Montreal boasting Offence, the series will be a split of 3-3, or perhaps 4-2 in Mtl’s favour but a 6-game sweep highly unlikely I think for either side.

Montreal has enough fast skaters to move past their slower D and bang pucks in.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. chuckles3 says:

Off topic, anyone here ever go to Gilmour’s on Bloor Street here in Toronto? Any good?

I hear it’s the only Habs-friendly bar around, and it seems like I’ll have to drop in to watch the season opener before going to see Sufjan Stevens across the street at Lee’s