Philly awaits before all-star break

The Canadiens will not practise Monday, flying to Philadelphia midday with a game Tuesday night at Wells Fargo against the Flyers.

It will be Montreal’s final game before the all-star break, though there is a practice scheduled for Wednesday in Brossard, subject to change.

We’ll set up Tuesday’s game with updates Monday.

1. Julie H says:

Practice at Brossard on Wednesday. I hope it’s in the afternoon so I can leave work early and go watch.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

2. Mattyleg says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Engqvist (holy god, that’s a tough one for the ol’ ‘Keyboarding 101′ skills!) play next season. I love his shutdown work. His reach looks nearly Gill-esque! How long is that jeezly stick? I hope he decides to put some bulk on that frame. 6’4” and 197lbs?? What a stringbean! Fill out, sonnyboy, and you’ll be a great presence.    —Hope Springs Eternal—

3. SeriousFan09 says:

I like Engqvist’s potential as a defensive forward, once he adds about 20 pounds to his frame. He’s going to need more muscle just to protect himself in the NHL and be able to check effectively.

4. sam says:

Halpern must be coming back, then. Engqvist’s a centre, White a right wing.

5. The Teacher says:

I am surprised Engvist got sent down. He impressed me in the two games I saw him play (one of them live). He certainly seems like a better option than White and I expect him to make the team next year out of camp.

I think they kept White up for the Philly game.

6. Bill says:

I really don’t understand management’s travel policies. If they travelled either on gameday in the morning, or two days before gameday in the evening, then they could have a practice on the day before gameday, to work on things like respectful goal celebrations, shoot-out poses, and how to preach the system. It’s really shortsighted and old-school of Martin and Gauthier to schedule travel days on these crucial “day before game day” days. It will ruin the young players. Typical. Obviously I am joking and just needed to criticize something, sorry.

Full Breezer 4 Life

7. Dave Stubbs says:

We’ll pass the recommendations along, Bill.

In fact, it’s NHL policy that a team be in the city of a game the night before the game, in case rotten weather plays havoc with flights.

There are a few exceptions: preseason games for one, Boxing Day games for another. On Dec. 26, a team can charter out that morning so they needn’t be away Christmas night.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

8. Chuck says:

I guess that JM is using the possible cancellation of the Wednesday practice as an incentive to play well Tuesday night. Win, and you get and extra day off over the All-Star break.

9. Exit716 says:

I bet teams must love the chance to have an opportunity to sample the night life of Columbus by flying in the day before a game.

10. Mattyleg says:

I’ve heard the Yarn Barn stays open late the night before a game to accommodate them.   —Hope Springs Eternal—

11. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Engqvist the untypeable looked decent.

It’s building – this team actually seems to have prospects that could play in the NHL next year. It’s prospects that score that worry me, but then again, there is good potential already on the roster if any of them can get unstuck. I’m a little worried at my becoming optimistic about the Habs. It no longer feels natural.