PG’s buzzwords

Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is all smiles at Monday’s news briefing.
Dave Sidaway, Gazette

Late-afternoon update: Lars Eller did not participate in the 5
p.m. scrimmage at Rookie Camp. RDS’s Renaud Lavoie reports it’s a 10-day-old abdominal muscle knack. Eller will be
re-evaluated tomorrow.

Later afternoon update from Stubbs: I saw Eller skating alone with Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend at Brossard on Friday morning. That might explain update above.

• AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier | Lars Eller | Ian Schultz | P.K. Subban | Louis Leblanc | Brendan Gallagher | Ben Maxwell

•  •  •

Team identity and leadership core.

Pierre Gauthier stressed
these points frequently during his 47-minute media briefing, preceding
the opening of Rookie Camp in Brossard.

Carey Price is “more
mature” and “really fits into the group” in the Canadiens’ room. The
goaltender’s success, Gauthier added, will depend largely on the support
of his teammates.

Wearing a charcoal suit and a tight grin,
referring to everyone in the Canadiens’ organization as “Mr.” (it
sounded funny in the case of P.K. Subban) Gauthier seemed more at ease
than his predecessor, media-wary Bob Gainey.

And why not?

Gauthier’s team is undefeated, and “we have a better knowledge of who we are and what we can accomplish.”

In his opening remarks, Gauthier cited an “impression of optimism” that’s carried over from the Canadiens’ success in the playoffs.

Gauthier spoke about 17 holdovers – “not including Mr. Subban” – giving the Canadiens “quite a bit of stability”.

“We like our leadership group,” Gauthier said, promising a captain would be named – by management – before the season begins. The GM said the Canadiens are blessed with “emotional” leaders who “care about the team.”

No names were mentioned, but the group surely includes Andrei Markov, Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges, Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Hal Gill.

Gauthier made frequent mention of Larry Carriere, a hockey man of “enormous experience”, whose familiarity with defence, the position Carriere played in the NHL, will be an asset to player development. The GM also mentioned Randy Ladouceur’s experience as a Dman.The remarks suggest this was perceived as an organizational deficiency.

Gauthier expressed confidence that Markov would make a full recovery from knee surgery. He said the Canadiens had no hard and fast rules against negotiating contracts during a hockey season, adding that preliminary discussions have begun on a new deal for Markov.

Gauthier described the anointment of Carey Price as the team’s Number 1 goaltender as a difficult decision that came down to “who is the person we want to go forward with, middle and long-term.”

Although 21 players are on one-way contracts and the other two roster positions are generally ceded to Subban and Lars Eller, Gauthier said “there are positions open on the team.”

“Coaches tend to look at a 28-man roster,” Gauthier said. “No one is guaranteed a job. A lot of things can happen.”

Gauthier described the team identity as predicated on speed and “intelligence”, which the GM says is moving the puck efficiently and knowing what to do with it.”

Asked whether the playoff loss to Philadelphia exposed a lack of team toughness, Gauthier cited Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago as successful teams who have maintained winning formulas based on a consistent identity.

Take that to mean we won’t be watching the big, bad Habs any time soon.

Other points:

• Jeff Halpern is a right-handed faceoff specialist whose PK abilities will lighten the load on Tomas Plekanec and Scott Gomez.

• Brock Trotter remains on the team’s protected list.

• Louis Leblanc made his own decision about leaving college for junior hockey, as did Jarred Tinordi. It is important, Gauthier said, for young players to choose environments in which they can excel and build their confidence.

• The Hamilton Randys, Cunneyworth and Ladouceur, are two NHL vets who were captains and are capable of developing “professionalism and leadership” down on the farm.

1. Sheldon says:

No need to fly into the bug zapper, although it’s sooooo beautiful. We’ll know what the fortunes of this team will be after about 20 games after the requisite annual gelling takes place. If Price doesn’t show a marked improvement, SisterCanadien might very well be right.

2. JIMVINNY says:

Boy, did I ever want this to be a Nadal-Federer final.  For Nadal to have the chance to complete the grand slam against arguably the best player ever, it would have been very exciting.

Just imagine.  First time two men to have ever met least once in every grand slam final, and rafa has won at least one of each of the other three.  Could have been all four….

3. RJ says:

The coddling continues with the statement that Price’s success “depends largely on the support of his teammates.” This is the first of many excuses Gainey and Gauthier will use to explain Price’s poor play.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

4. JD_ says:

When Kordic knew that the neutral zone was when the play was called, it was always the time when the goalie should have known the glove-side. Therefore, I think that when you say Gionta and Cammy are either making that change before or after Christmas, I agree.

5. BJ says:

As in “Green Giant”?

6. mike g says:

Tampa wins the trades they don’t even make, that’s how good Stevie Y and Boucher are.

Actually, you know the Halak trade to ST-Louis? Guess who won that trade….Not MTL, and not STL…

That’s right, Tampa won that trade. They also won every other trade in the NHL this offseason.

And btw, Chelios was gonna go for the record of games played and oldest player to even play in the NHL. The reason he retired was because ATL was the only team offering him a contract, and they play in the same division as Tampa. Chelios was scared of the Lightning, so he retired.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

7. Danno says:

BGL is now Green

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. Danno says:

Phil Michelson looks okay

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. JD_ says:

Don’t recall comin’ across a blindly loyal fanatic on here.

For certain, there are guys who are consistently positive but, even then, I see criticism doled out from the same, even if on a very infrequent basis.

But blindly loyal fanatics who come on here day after day spoutin’ the same tripe over and over? Haven’t seen it. Bit too much straw in that man.

10. BJ says:

What about BGL? Gray and sickly? I don’t think so…..

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Eff Green, plays like a forward and pays lip service to D, can’t believe he wastes space on the Norris ballot.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. mike g says:

You speak only the truth….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

13. DD says:

It’s kind of hard to take you seriously, when half of the players you mention, did sign on with Montreal as UFAs, of their own free will.

It’s too bad Gauthier couldn’t shop around you, although I don’t think there’s much of a market for sniveling defeatist loser like you.

14. pic1983 says:

Dude, you’re pretty bias towards philly…shouldnt accuse someone of being bias when you yourself are bias.

15. SLONCOLD says:

Gotta disagree with ya. We all know and Mike_G will agree too, that Stevie Y  and Boucher never lose out on a trade or player evaluations:-p

16. gloveside says:

While I have to agree that the overly negative guys really annoy me as well, the blindly loyal fanatics equally drive me bats. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with what the team has done and the whole Price/Halak thing has been a real bellwether topic to see the fans divided. You have to admit that what has gone on in Habland over the past few years has been less than kosher. When did just making the playoffs become okay in this world? Whatever happened to the Habs frame of mind that anything less than a Cup was a failure. We might as well be Leaf fans if we are going to lower the bar that much. Don’t forget that this has been a barely average team over the last 5 years – 1 great regular season, 1 great playoff run, 3 embarassing flop years. Some of us find it hard to see where this team is going and the confusion about identity, both at forward and in net, has not done much to alleviate that confusion.

17. punkster says:

Thing is, if he ran the proper line changes from the beginning when Gorges is paired with anyone but Markov then you’d have AK and Pleks doing what they’re paid to do instead of trying to cover for the Price’s weak side ’cause we all know Gainey puts him in instead of running the Gomez, Gionta and Cammy smurfs that Gauthier never won, ever, in any of his previous jobs. Definitely before Xmas and maybe sooner.

18. Mikey_39 says:

I was just thinking of the series of mtl-was.  Remember how cocky they all were when they went up 3-1 against us? Especially Green. He was basically saying that we were a joke team, and that it was a given that the series was over…kicking us while we were down.  I lost soo much respect for that team.

19. HabsFanInTampa says:

Forget to take your meds today, Nuna?

20. Mark C says:

Nope The Hammer isn’t his dad, but his brother is Mr. Nasty Jeff Schultz of the Caps.

21. gloveside says:

Sorry, double post…

22. Psycho29 says:

23. pic1983 says:

I just think that the magic evaporated after the first two round upset.  Back to back 7 game series against the two top teams in the East certainly made us easy pickings for the flyers.  Especially when the referee’s are using their post-season whistles (as in NOT using their whistles).

24. SeriousFan09 says:

I rarely saw Pacioretty shy away from the physical play when I was watching him in Hamilton, I think the issue was when he first came up, he didn’t have the muscle and while he would try and play the physical role he did in Hamilton, so he found his trying to play the physical edge wasn’t working since so many people could outmuscle him and shied away since it was just leaving to him getting smashed.

I’ll keep an eye on him this season in Hamilton, hope to see he keeps up the physical play. This is the first seaosn he’ll be playing where he’s above two bucks on the scale.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. Storm Man says:

Anyone who knows hockey said that was a good deal for the Habs. Desjardins is a good AHL goalie with a catchy french name.

26. Psycho29 says:

This is your brain on drugs.

I think it’s because of NON-fans like yourself that players don’t want to sign here.

I have never seen a positive comment on here. I think I will do like Ian and put you on ignore from now on.

27. JIMVINNY says:

I think he has a bit of Mr. Burns to him.  If he were balding, with that nose, he’d be cast as a live action Burnsie for sure.

28. mike g says:

If you ask me, Max is scared of the physical play….

I can’t count on one hand how many times I saw him engage in a physical play, or put his head down and crash the crease. Along the boards he was very soft and frail. He would often stop when the defenseman cut him off at the boards, and wouldn’t try go through the hit.

In that case, you cann add all the weight you want. When the problem is between the ears, there’s nothing you can do.

Some guys, even big boys, are affraid of gettin dirty.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. SLONCOLD says:

via tsn:

“He needs to get stronger and build his confidence on who he is as a
    player. We didn’t really ask him (to go to junior). It was his decision.
    Our thought was, ‘go where you think you can have the most success.'”

i like the we didn’t really ask him part…

30. PeterStone says:

he was pretty well viewed in the TB organization a couple of years back.  They were touting him as the goalie of the future.  Pretty big guy, and pretty mobile.  let in some softies tho.  How this unfolds who knows, but that was a nice calculated risk.   I like what PG has done so far .. calculated risks and youth.

31. MathMan says:

“In his opening remarks, Gauthier cited an “impression of optimism”
    that’s carried over from the Canadiens’ success in the playoffs.”

Let’s just hope the impression of optimism created by the ECF finals doesn’t blind the organization to the impression that came from the team’s level of play throughout the regular season and the playoffs — that this was a team that played pretty badly, got dominated routinely, and had a LOT of work to do.

32. flowerpower_74 says:

“The team played together with Halak quarterbacking passes.  When do you ever see Carey Price pass a puck that starts a decent play?  Hardly ever, Price doesn’t know how to pass the puch to save his life.”

Habs will gel as a team.

33. flowerpower_74 says:

Habs will gel as a team.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Karri Ramo has won his first two games with Avangard Omsk in the KHL, Habs clearly win the Desjardins deal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. namgel says:

Ooooooooooo the Leafers are cutting us apart on Teeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssnnnnn

I’m gonna love watchning them finish in 15th again.

36. Habscore says:

LOOL!! hhmppf!!…I just choked on my not-so-amazing anymore Big Mac lunch!!

37. slamtherimtim says:

i think what your tring to say is , WHAT A BUZZ KILL

38. JD_ says:

It makes me think that when Markov is playing that the passing that involves Gorges is the same way that JM has the line changes doing what was working when the players were involved. I am hoping that when the team is up that any time either Cammy or Gomez is setting up behind the net at the same time they know the refs are working the faceoff circle. Reminds me of John Van Boxmeer and the way he had to pass whenever the 3rd line went to the bench to avoid the offsides, even when Gainey played before he was GM and was still not sure if the shot was going to the net. Hopefully, when the new goaltending rules make the players realize that the third period is when JM will try to take the timeout when the players don’t make the pass out of the zone and either Gill or Hamrlik play near the crease. As you say, this could happen before or after Christmas.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Pacioretty really didn’t get a fair shake his first time around either, goes to the AHL after one NCAA season, than he immediately gets yanked to the Habs to plug holes in the sinking ship that was the 08-09 Habs, than bounces around under two coachs and then is injured the second he gets back to Hamilton practically. The guy shouldn’t have seen the Bell Centre ice in 08-09 or even 09-10 maybe but he did because of roster issues before he had the conditioning for long seasons or the level of the game. JVR not getting fairly rated as the 2007 2nd overall pick, Max-Pac got jumped up pretty early as a 22nd overall pick as well.

Their stories aren’t that far apart in terms of having to adapt to the game, but JVR had the advantage of just being naturally stronger and more talented.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Danno says:

I think PG could be the stunt double for Stock Day

Maybe it’s the sh!t-eating grin.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. adam76 says:

I find all vegetarians look like that – gray and sickly.

Are you just screaming at the Moon because you thought it was square!

I really don’t want to waste my time again reading stuff of the most negative on high!

43. mike g says:

Concerning JVR, it wasn’t a disengagement in the playoffs…

It was his 1st year in the NHL, and he never experienced a workload like that. Playing a full season of 82 games, plus another 20+ games in the playoffs isn’t easy for anyone. Players run out of gaz, especially young rookie who’ve never played that much hockey in 8 consecutive months. Plus he battled a couple of injuries all year. If you watch some Flyers games, you’ll notice JVR throws his weight around, goes in the traffic areas, and plays physical. He scores dirty goals, and will be an excellent player once he’s able to manage the workload of games and performance. Not this year, but next year he will be a fixture of their top 4 forwards.

Once again, I never said Carcillo was a perfect hockey player. He’s a douche IMO, but not calling him tough is crazy. He fights almost every 3 games, and not against Gaborik everytime. He fights heavyweights. Yes, every few games he does something stupid, but he’s still a tough player. He dishes out big hits, takes big hits, and fights. That for me is a tough player. Nothing to do with Laps.

And between AK and Pouliot, IMO Pouliot will have a better year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. Chuck says:

“Haha! I faert een yar gee-neral da-reckshun!”

45. says:

Nuna, Adam76, Tony, and many others.  No one cares what you write any more. People don’t like to hang around with people like you. It’s what society calls social outcasts.  You represent that guy that goes to a party and people talk to but the entire time they say to themselves, “how do I get out of this conversation.”

Some day you are going to say something important, and no one will listen.

Then you expect people to feel sorry for you.

Well you know what, I don’t feel sorry for you.  You brought it on yourself.  Goodbye Nuna, you just don’t matter anymore.  Maybe you and Adam76 can hang out.

Good Bye Nuna (sniff sniff, a tear drops to the floor and Shane walks away from the conversation)  :)

They Call Me Shane

46. GrimJim says:

Shout out to whoever said this earlier this summer but it’s the best description of the troll’s posts:

“More NUNsense from nunacanadien”

47. mike g says:

I taste your gaz in my mouth…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

What was a joke is that Lapierre was made a pariah of the NHL for that by TSN, but Carcillo purposely scrapping with a guy like Gaborik was like ‘eh, whatever’ along with his blatant acting whenver anyone’s stick comes close to his face, you want to call Carcillo tough, you have to give that marker to Lapierre is what I argue. He played hard in the playoffs when it mattered and 08-09 was a banner year for him, Carcillo is opportunistic, tough when it suits him to do so, so I wouldn’t call him a particularly tough player on the ice.

I don’t put all the players over the top, but I do like to see their talent extended into what I can think they can achieve, I see talent in action and I respect it. I acknowledge some young players need more time to come along. I don’t expect both AK and BP to both have big scoring campaigns this year, I’m hoping one of them pulls it out and justifies staying on but both of them? I’m not betting on it at all. I’ve been arguing against insane expectations from the kids for months now, reminding people the whole rush-job on prospects blows up in the team’s face basically every time. However I am tired of reading that a 23-year old goalie is washed up and a 21-year old player like Max-Pac is a doomed waste of space.

JVR will likely be a better player than Max-Pac, but that’s easy to say since anyone drafted 2nd overall compared to 22nd is likely going to be better and Pacioretty thus far has had a messy development path due to management jumping him out of NCAA after 1 year, than lifting him out of AHL with barely half a season there. ATM though, I wouldn’t call JVR a particularly tough player considering his complete disengagement during the playoffs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. Harani says:

Don’t miss the USOpen Men’s final at 4pm ET. Now that Novak’s had an extra day to rest up, promises to be an excellent match. Anyhow, my money on my love Rafa. Vamos All The Way!

“It must be love!”

50. joeybarrie says:

Is this even English? Half I don’t understand and rest is ridiculous. That being said it might be my fault since I don’t speak Stupid.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. punkster says:

You know, last night I got caught up in a bit of a discussion with Bugs regarding the various types of fans found here. And I was preaching for tolerance under the assumption that there are fans on both sides of the spectrum; those who are too rosey or those who are overly critical. Then I slept on it and considered some advice from other sources. And you know what I realized? I realized that constantly negative fans such as yourself, while you have the right to spout your constantly negative drivel, REALLY ANNOY THE HELL OUT OF ME…and many others here.

So, on behalf of all the others here who find you and your ilk unbearable with your insufferably, boringly negative, vomitous, malodorous and just plain nasty comments, let me figuratively drop my pants and issue forth with flatulence quite loudly in your direction.

52. Fire_Laraque says:

Or Melanoma but i’m pretty sure he wasn’t speaking of my kitchen counter top.

53. Fire_Laraque says:

Wasn’t watching that show unfortunatly.  But does your answer mean no?

54. Chorske says:

except when it comes to beatings. or polyps.

55. Mr.Hazard says:

What a weird lookin’ guy lol. He looks like a caricature.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

56. Chorske says:

57. habaddict_andy says:

You give Nuna a bad name.  Now I will start refering you to more of a
    Eeyorecanadien.  No matter what sign of positive we hear, sugar coded
    or not, everything just turn to rain and gloom for you.

Here’s to cheer you up.|STL|home

58. flowerpower_74 says:

They did support Price as much as Halak last year, the only difference was GOAL SUPPORT…where the team scored a lot more goals with Halak in nets than with Price in net.

59. flowerpower_74 says:

60. mike g says:

And Lapierre smashing Nichol into the boards against SJ wasn’t garbage?

Listen, you and I both know our hockey. But when it comes to the Habs, for some reason you put our players over the top when comparing them to other across the league. With you, it’s like the Habs can do no wrong.

I never said Carcillo is the best at anything, or a good human being. All I said was he is a tough player. If you can’t admitt to that, then I don’t know what I’ll have to say.

And JVR will be a better player than Pac one day. It has nothing to do with where they were drafted, as we all know that late round picks sometimes outperform early picks.

All I was saying was that Carcillo is a tough player. I wasn’t attacking the untouchable Habs players.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

61. RGM says:

What on Earth are you babbling about?

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

62. flowerpower_74 says:

63. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

64. Bugs says:

I would also take four things over one thing every day.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory:

65. GGtheHab says:

Good Point, and forget about Boston, how close were the Flyers to not even being in the play-offs in the first place..

66. nunacanadien says:

Ta na na, da na, na na na, oh don’t you hate the funeral music that accompanies a Gainey or Gauthier interview?  Actually its the death knell for the Habs wonderful collection of mish mash bits and pieces, alas this is all you can get when the NHLPA knows you treat you star goalies (not Price) like dirt.  No wonder players don’t want to sign here, not when you spend all last year toiling to get into the playoffs only to be traded to the Blues, poor Halak.  What player in their right mind would want to come to Montreal, knowing last year’s blow up was because of Price?  So the death knell is tolling for you Cammy, Gomez and Gionta, and today Gauthier reaffirmed this.  The death knell is tolling for you Gill and Gorges if you can’t stop those rebounds from going in, and God help you if a player gets past you to get a clean shot on Price which is always guaranteed to become the floater goal late in the 3rd period that extinguishes the lead and deflates the Habs til they lose their lead.  So any bets on when the blowup part 2 will start occuring?  Before Christmas or after Christmas will Gauthier begin shopping around for players he think would fit the Carey Price mold.

67. RGM says:

You aren’t kidding – I’ve already assembled a list of almost 20 without breaking a sweat.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

68. Mark C says:

I know nothing! NOTHING…about that.

Your always on the ball Chuck.

70. Chuck says:

A “Hogan’s Heroes” reference! Great show!

Love your humour boys.!

Was Schultz’s father a German prison of war guard in Stallack 13.?

73. Chuck says:

I wouldn’t bother; nobody’s liver could handle such abuse.