PG’s buzzwords

Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is all smiles at Monday’s news briefing.
Dave Sidaway, Gazette

Late-afternoon update: Lars Eller did not participate in the 5
p.m. scrimmage at Rookie Camp. RDS’s Renaud Lavoie reports it’s a 10-day-old abdominal muscle knack. Eller will be
re-evaluated tomorrow.

Later afternoon update from Stubbs: I saw Eller skating alone with Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend at Brossard on Friday morning. That might explain update above.

• AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier | Lars Eller | Ian Schultz | P.K. Subban | Louis Leblanc | Brendan Gallagher | Ben Maxwell

•  •  •

Team identity and leadership core.

Pierre Gauthier stressed
these points frequently during his 47-minute media briefing, preceding
the opening of Rookie Camp in Brossard.

Carey Price is “more
mature” and “really fits into the group” in the Canadiens’ room. The
goaltender’s success, Gauthier added, will depend largely on the support
of his teammates.

Wearing a charcoal suit and a tight grin,
referring to everyone in the Canadiens’ organization as “Mr.” (it
sounded funny in the case of P.K. Subban) Gauthier seemed more at ease
than his predecessor, media-wary Bob Gainey.

And why not?

Gauthier’s team is undefeated, and “we have a better knowledge of who we are and what we can accomplish.”

In his opening remarks, Gauthier cited an “impression of optimism” that’s carried over from the Canadiens’ success in the playoffs.

Gauthier spoke about 17 holdovers – “not including Mr. Subban” – giving the Canadiens “quite a bit of stability”.

“We like our leadership group,” Gauthier said, promising a captain would be named – by management – before the season begins. The GM said the Canadiens are blessed with “emotional” leaders who “care about the team.”

No names were mentioned, but the group surely includes Andrei Markov, Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges, Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Hal Gill.

Gauthier made frequent mention of Larry Carriere, a hockey man of “enormous experience”, whose familiarity with defence, the position Carriere played in the NHL, will be an asset to player development. The GM also mentioned Randy Ladouceur’s experience as a Dman.The remarks suggest this was perceived as an organizational deficiency.

Gauthier expressed confidence that Markov would make a full recovery from knee surgery. He said the Canadiens had no hard and fast rules against negotiating contracts during a hockey season, adding that preliminary discussions have begun on a new deal for Markov.

Gauthier described the anointment of Carey Price as the team’s Number 1 goaltender as a difficult decision that came down to “who is the person we want to go forward with, middle and long-term.”

Although 21 players are on one-way contracts and the other two roster positions are generally ceded to Subban and Lars Eller, Gauthier said “there are positions open on the team.”

“Coaches tend to look at a 28-man roster,” Gauthier said. “No one is guaranteed a job. A lot of things can happen.”

Gauthier described the team identity as predicated on speed and “intelligence”, which the GM says is moving the puck efficiently and knowing what to do with it.”

Asked whether the playoff loss to Philadelphia exposed a lack of team toughness, Gauthier cited Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago as successful teams who have maintained winning formulas based on a consistent identity.

Take that to mean we won’t be watching the big, bad Habs any time soon.

Other points:

• Jeff Halpern is a right-handed faceoff specialist whose PK abilities will lighten the load on Tomas Plekanec and Scott Gomez.

• Brock Trotter remains on the team’s protected list.

• Louis Leblanc made his own decision about leaving college for junior hockey, as did Jarred Tinordi. It is important, Gauthier said, for young players to choose environments in which they can excel and build their confidence.

• The Hamilton Randys, Cunneyworth and Ladouceur, are two NHL vets who were captains and are capable of developing “professionalism and leadership” down on the farm.

1. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

What’s even more ironic is he calls people lefty fascists.

2. RS says:

Of all the bitchin’ on this site, I’m surprised more people don’t bring up “The Curse of DiPietro”!

He had a great playoff in 93. We haven’t won the cup since we shipped him to Toronto.

3. mike g says:

That was a joke from the start…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s him or Kesler from reports, Kesler gets credit for the grittier game and the heart-and-soul game (can’t say I would call it that, don’t see VAN enough to call it) so he may get it as more the lead-by-example style of leader.

What will suck is Sedin getting the C will start up some more irrational xenophobia as people mock the Canucks on the choice. Nobody deserves to put up with the xenophobic crap only the NHL establishment allows.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. SmartDog says:

My thought exactly.  It’s PG’s job to give everything a positive (but not unrealistic) glow.

It’s like on the first day of school.  ALL the kids have shining little faces and are full of potential and eager to learn.  Only later to some of them become troublemakers and shitheads.  :)

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

6. mike g says:

I’m not sure exactly who, nobody knows…

But I think alot of those guys will hit the market, due to one reason; the salary cap. Many teams want to retain alot if not all of their best players, but teams have mismanaged the cap over the past few years and will be forced to bite the bullet.

Teams like Boston would surely love to keep Chara, but they’re already over the cap for this year. Plus they’ll have to keep Bergeron, who will surely get a raise, etc…

The salary cap is really starting to take it’s effect this year. Teams never thaught it would be this hard to manage, but alot of players aren’t signing anywhere yet due to cap issue. Is it normal that guys like Guerin isn’t signed yet, or that Comrie signed for half a million?

Teams can want every single player in the NHL, but if their cap is screwed up, which most teams’ cap is, those players will take their time to find the best deal possible.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

7. TorontoHabsFan says:

I thought Stevie Y’s brilliance was so unparalled that he’s been getting players to pay him for the pleasure of playing under his supervision!

8. mike g says:

OMG, sooo true….also:

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, Stamkos will score 167 goals this year.

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, Gagne will never miss one more NHL game. Guy healed him with his powers.

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, Tampa will be forced to play in the Buccaneers NFL stadium because 90,000 people will want to attend every game.

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, terrorism and all religious wars will end, forever.

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, in 24 years the Habs will be the 2nd best team in NHL history. Tampa will win 24 straight Cups, and surpass the Habs with 25.

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, someone will win Loto-Max this week.

- Thanks to Guy Boucher, you wasted your time reading this post, because the guy hasn’t accomplished anything in the NHL yet people seem to think this man is Jesus Chr*st himself, but just dressed in a suit and coaching the next best team in the NHL.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. Mike Boone says:

Just some Sunday funnin’

10. Harani says:

Roberto Luongo has given up Canucks captaincy. (via @mirtle twitter) No surprise there it would seem. But Lou better start playing upto his level again. Henrik Sedin the potential No.1 candidate to replace him!

“It must be love!”

11. Mike Boone says:

Rookie camp jitters. Thanks for the heads-up.

12. PrimeTime says:

If any GM just said or did anything remotely what the fans think he should do or say he would be packing up his desk pretty quickly. He’s not there to “mother” the fans.

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

13. TorontoHabsFan says:

Follow up question: “When do you plan on signing Metropolit’s linemate Paul DiPietro?”

;)

14. TorontoHabsFan says:

Well yeah, this year was one of the weakest in league history, if not the weakest. I’m not sure comparing anything to this year’s is a fair comparison :)

I just don’t see next year’s as all that much stronger to be honest. Who do you think will make it to July 1st?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

When did the Capitals trade Jeff Schultz to Montreal? I believe we have Ian Schultz on the Habs prospect chart.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. PrimeTime says:

Yesterday Boone posted Metro’s opening numbers in the Swiss League and eluded to wondering why PG didn’t re-sign him and said it would be the media’s first question to PG today??? Curious to know who asked such “brilliant” question and what was the response? Does that “journalist” still have a job??? C’mon Boone, please share….or were just having a liitle fun with us on a quiet Sunday?

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

17. Nina76 says:

JD.THANK YOU!!!!!!you are right he was merely a gleam in his father’s eye.I wish there more bloggers on this site like you.As I was taught as a child growing up if you cannot say anything nice about someone,say nothing at all…………..opinions yes…….bashing NO!!!!!!!!!      GO MY HABS GO!!!!!!!

18. TorontoHabsFan says:

Yeah, ultimately I think the need for room on the top six for our young guys trumps the need for Gagne.

Although his ability to put in goals with regularity is extremely tempting :)

19. mike g says:

Compare that to this years list. After Kovy, Marleau and Pleks this year, Colby Armstrong was considered a top UFA.

That tells you enough about the strength.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. Mark C says:

Won’t be able to afford him.

Thanks to Guy Boucher, Gagne will re-discover his scoring touch while playing with Vinny and will plot 50 goals. Gagne’s production will price him out of virtually every market, yet Stevie Y will re-sign him to a 3 year $3M AAV contract. :)

21. saskhabfan says:

Just like virtually every other player in the nhl. Not very observent are you? Only 47% of the time?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

22. alestar says:

He probably thinks his agent is Patrick Roy…LOL!

XXIV…and counting

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Even if he does stay healthy, what about the year after? Not enthused about adding Gagne, seems like a move to mollify the Francophone media and fans rather than one in the team’s best interest based on the class of FAs available.

That’s the other issue, we may need room for Avtsin next season and others the season after, Gagne is taking up a roster spot when we already have Gionta, Gomez, Pleks and Cammy locked up long term, you need room for the kids and Gagne’s fragility makes him unattractive for me.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. Chorske says:

only with more jam

25. mike g says:

PG’s job isn’t to tell Price what do to through the media…

If he has something to tell Carey, he will call him or meet him and talk. You, me, and the media have no business knowing what they discusss or what his expectations are of Carey.

All PG has to do is sit infront of that crowd and answer questions like a robot, with answers he and every single other GM repeats every year to all the same questions.

I really don’t think PG has to publicly say Carey has to play up to par this year. Common sense tells us that.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

26. Mike Boone says:

Right. Carve Price a new one on the first day of Rookie Camp. Gee, I wish you were the general manager.

27. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m not sure about characterizing the UFA crop as one of the strongest in history. It looks pretty weak to me (once you take away the players almost certain to re-sign – Chara, Thornton, and Richards).

Who do you see as the big names likely to be available?

28. mike g says:

French “superstar” = French media illogical pressure….

Immagine the Habs get a bargain and sign him to a 4 year, 2 mill per year deal. Fine, I’m good with that.

But Immagine if he gets knocked out open ice, gets another concussion and is out for the season. All the members of the french media will all start saying we need FRENCH CANADIAN enforcers now to protect our FRENCH CANADIAN “superstar”.

Then, when he’ll be in rehab in hopes to return to the lineup earlier, they’ll go crazy once he suffers a setback due to his glass brain. They’ll rant that we need francophone doctors here in QC, because Gagne will suffer another concussion due to his effort of translating English to French.

Then when Gagne skips a PP, they’ll rant once again.

Then when he’s not chosen for a shootout, yup you guessed it.

Ah, the media.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. HABZ24 says:

subban and markov together will be amazing to see. drop the puck!!

30. rocketsglare says:

Gauthier’s reference to Price being “more mature” and that he “fits into the group” remains to be seen.

It would have been more revealing of Gauthier to have stated that Price must begin to play up to his

abilities and potential and that he alone through his play will find success rather than placing the burden

of that success squarely on his teammates.

Still protecting Price it would appear.

31. TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno, if he can stay healthy this year, I might be convinced that it would be a good move.

Of course if we did sign him long term, that would make it pretty difficult to find ice time for our offensive prospects in two years time – at some point we’ll need to find icetime for Eller, Leblanc, Kristo, and Avtsin. Even if they go the “third line made up of young offensive talent” route that will still leave one player needing a spot (Eller moves to the wing and replaces Pouliot/Kostitsyn?)

(I can honestly say that this is the first time in a long time – maybe since we drafted Hainsey and Komisarek – that I’m extremely excited about the depth of prospects we have)

32. Chorske says:

Couldn’t agree more, Mike. No Gagne necessary here.

Only cloud on that horizon is that IMO the top free agent on that list (if he makes the list at all) is Markov.

33. mike g says:

If the Habs offer Gagne that contract, I’ll go insane…

Next years UFA group is so far one of the strongest in the history of the NHL. Alot of impact players and superstars will be available, if not re-signed this year.

So if we shoot 4.5 bananas at Simon, I will join the “bash PG group”.

Say all you want about him being a good player, but if I’m building a team I’m looking for players that actually play and are not always watching from home in a dark room due to 164 concussions.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Good god I hope not, we not need to add an injury-prone player to the roster at that cap hit, doubt the team could afford it either or that Gagne wants to play in MTL, he’s had chances as a free agent before but like everyone else, he went for the money.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. TorontoHabsFan says:

Anybody catch that Simon Gagne interview the other day where he repeatedly said that he was looking forward to playing in Tampa Bay for ONE year?

Anybody else thinking that Kostitsyn won’t be tendered a contract and his $3.25m cap hit will go towards offering Gagne a $4.5m/yr 3 yr contract?

36. OneTimer says:

Argument backed with fact. Mike G wins

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Always take a GM who thinks it’s his job to manage the team over one who thinks it’s his job to manage the media.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. RGM says:

Not much to choose from in Leafs land for the past few decades.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

39. mike g says:

The Leafs have no legends…

So no, the kid couldn’t find anyone else to put on the mask; his agent is on it by default.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

40. HabFanSince72 says:

I like PG.

Sensible guy like his predecessor.

41. gloveside says:

So you are saying…

I should consider the “blindly dis-loyal negative fans” as well? You may have to help me define that. Myself, I’m hardly blind in my assessments. I base my “negativity” on actual stats and previous occurances. I’m calling out the “blindly” positive fans who base their assessments on speculation alone [My favourites are: Price will show how great he can be this year because he was picked 5th overall or Price will be great because Gainey says so or because Fleury wasn't great at the beginning of his career either]. Tell me why Price, unequivocally, deserves to be the Number 1 goalie in Montreal. It’s not based on previous career resume. It’s blind faith.

As for the 5 year plan, I said in my previous post that the last 5 years seen a total of 1 great playoff run – last year’s team that needed a super-human effort from shot blockers, Halak and Cammy – all playing above their career bests just to make it that far. For a while last season [and the season before] it looked grim for the Hab’s playoff chances. I don’t see lightning striking twice, but I’d love to be proven wrong!

By the way, not sure what a “fo ther finals” is.

42. adam76 says:

Epic agent love.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t know about that, who wants to brag they got their guy on the Loafs farm team…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. fbkj says:

im trying to deconstruct what your saying here without making any reaches or erecting a straw man and you know what… its VERY difficult..

45. likehoy says:

maybe it was part of his agreement with the agent.

roy gets only 5% of the contract but gets his face on the mask.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

46. Harani says:

Leafs prospect Jussi Rynnas put a picture of his agent, Allain Roy, on his mask. Roy says: “I couldn’t believe he really did that!” Wow! He couldn’t find a better legend?

“It must be love!”

47. HabFab says:

I thought your theory was 25 games.

48. saskhabfan says:

Only 5 goalies had over 40 wins last year. Does that mean 25 teams had losing records? For someone who claims to be an observer you kind of miss alot of rather basic hockey info.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

49. saskhabfan says:

Imagine that,hockey is actually a team game.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

50. observer says:

40 wins is winning less than half your games – so you predict habs to be sub- .500 again?

51. observer says:

what pressure? he’s already a rich man and set for life even he he never works another day.

52. Mark C says:

No matter how good a goalie is, I don’t think they should play more than 60-65 tops. Of the 8 goalies who played more than 65 games and made the playoffs, only Craig Anderson posted a better SV% in the playoffs than in the reg. season. Guys like Fleury, Brodeur, Luongo, and Nabokov “seemed” worn out during the playoffs.

53. pierre lapuck says:

Speaking the truth is hardly coddling.  No goalie can acheive success without a team in front of him committed to defensive responsibility.  For all you guys who are just waiting for him to fail I have only one question…..how will that make you happy?  Your team will be in the dumper and then what?  Why not just stay off the bandwagon and cheer for the Lightning or the Panthers, every one of thier fans will think you’re geniuses because they haven’t learned enough about the game to have forgotten anything.  You won’t break yuour ankles jumping on and off the bandwagon and when the Habs win the cup you can be suitably unimpressed, blame it on luck and good fortune, and continue on your deluded, negative, myopic way.

54. RGM says:

What a concept for a team game – the success of one player is dependent upon that of those players around him. Imagine that! Shocking!

It’s funny – nobody ever says anything like “Cammalleri’s success depends on the support of his linemates” as if Cammy’s going to put a 40G season without any help at all.

This anti-Price crap is ridiculous. Is it really asking too much for some people to at least wait until, oh I don’t know, the season starts before burying the Montreal Canadiens’ goaltender?

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

55. mike g says:

Did I ever say that?

You don’t find it a little odd that they’ve lost to the 8th seed Habs last year in 7 games, took 7 games to beat the 7th seed Rangers in 2009 and then lost to Pittsbugh in 7, and lost to the 7th seed Flyers in 7 games in 2008? I’m sorry, but there’s a problem somewhere.

When you’re having seasons of 100+ points and blowing everyone away, but then can’t beat 7th or 8th place teams, there’s a problem.

They’re a mirror of the Sharks.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

56. SLONCOLD says:

well i think if price is all this and that you would want him to be a goalie who can play 70 games but i don’t think there should be a rush to get him that many games this year. My expectation is for price to keep us in games and help out the team when they’re flat and really just keep the habs in games.

57. Mark C says:

Out of those 5 goalies, only Ryan Miller’s playoff SV% was close to being as good as his regular season SV%. For a goalie to get 40 wins they need at least 65-70 starts, which are too many, IMO.

58. nick says:

Ya thats the spirit… lets string the kid up before the season even starts.

OR… We could let the puck drop before we start pissing and moaning…

Either way the poor kid is screwed. Unless he does anything short of win the cup, “fans” will forever say he’s MTL’s weak link, overrated, etc etc… regardless of his performance.

59. SLONCOLD says:

40 wins is a huge number only 5 goalies accomplished that last year and it is very closely tied into you team as well. i still find it crazy that Evgeni Nabokov is not in the nhl this year.

60. Sheldon says:

You’re expecting a mondo season out of Alex Auld?

61. Sheldon says:

True, but it sounded like the right thing to say. I’m more worried about the fact that this year’s campaign ends in an odd number. Recent history suggests that the Habs bite the massive root when that happens. Dare I remind you of the Centennial Suckfestapalooza?

62. JD_ says:

Ah yes, Nina76. I remember you. Easily the most epic profile on HI/O.

Was a fan of the game when PG was merely a gleam in his father’s eye. Has been around long enough to remember the Maroons.

Tip of the hat, ma’am.

63. MathMan says:

Correct. Even if the Habs play well enough to rack up 40 wins, which is in itself very dubious, there’s absolutely no way Carey gets enough starts to get there.

64. SLONCOLD says:

he’s a still a good player. gotta love that shot PP totals

65. The Cat says:

Yeah, we all know the habs would have won that series 9 times out of 10. Come on!

66. JIMVINNY says:

Well after that amazing bounce pass him him right in the athletic trainer, he didn’t know what the trapezoid to do.

67. Mark C says:

Will we know what this team is after 20 games? That’s what everyone said before last season. Montreal went 9-11 over the first 20 games last season, yet ending up 3 wins aways from playing for the Cup. The first 20 games told us jack about the team.

68. ManApart says:

You are pretty dead on in this case and SeriousFan is out in left field once again. You were just stating the Flyers are a very tough team and Carcillo is a tough player. Both very true. SeriousFan likes to take a fact and try to see if he can make it a falsehood. It’s just his hobby.

69. db says:

He’s stating the obvious while saying nothing at all.  It’s the same for every goalie, it really does depend on the team in front of him.  The difference is going to lie in how many wins can Carey steal?

Anybody else notice we only have 6 non North Americans?  AK, Pleks, Eller, Hamr, Spacek, Markov.

How many more after next off season?

70. The Cat says:

We all know what type of pressure he’ll be under, I think Gauthier said the right thing actually. It is just the beginning of the year.

71. pic1983 says:

Me too I would have loved to see it.  I love the way those two play the game, especially because they have such contrasting styles of play.  Seems to me like Federer is on his way out.  He had a great run, but he just cant dominate like he used to against the tougher competition.  One of the best players, if not THE best, in the history of the sport IMO.

72. Nina76 says:

gloveside….I have to agree with you, I to get very tired of some of the stupid remarks on this blog. I cannot for the life of me figure out if you are not a HABS fan then say the XXXX off.We like opinons but we don’t have to be insulting………….Yes I agree we have waited 5 years for nothing the promises never happened……………I always hope that we will not wait another 5 years.WIN OR LOSE I WILL ALWAYS BE A HAB FAN!!!!!!!!!

73. SLONCOLD says:

40 win season lol i’m not sure teh habs can pull that one off let alone carey

74. punkster says:

Well JM sure as hell didn’t think it was the heat when he rolled only 3 lines after Laps laid that hit on the other guy before the 3rd goal in game 3 because the pass from Hamrlik really showed how age and experience can sometimes be a factor unless Gauthier, who never won anything, ever, spoke about the future. Definitely before Xmas or sooner.

FREE TIMO!

75. JD_ says:

That was sooooo beautiful.