Penguins’ Staal practises in full equipment

AUDIO: Dan Bylsma | Sidney Crosby

Injured Pittsburgh Penguins centre Jordan Staal took part in his team’s optional workout this morning at the Bell Centre, one day after having skated briefly in sweats. He was injured in Game 1 of this series, the top of his foot having been slashed by the skate of Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban, something that required surgery immediately after the game.

Staal, one of the big presences on the Penguins penalty kill and an important part of their overall plans, looked good with gusts to very good during the optional, which involved about a dozen skaters and two goalies (but not Marc-André Fleury).

Head coach Dan Bylsma wouldn’t commit to a time frame for Staal’s return, but the centreman did look good and Bylsma made special mention of a couple of quick-burst plays through the defence that Staal made in four-on-four drills.

Re: the audio linked above: listen particularly to the last bit of Crosby – good stuff to a question from CTV’s Paul Graif

1. HNS says:

If he cut his toenails properly, he would not have problems with ingrown toenails.

2. hockeylegend514 says:

I wish markov could do the same. BTW Mister Stubbs i must say you are the sports writter i love to follow the most!

3. spcbrass says:

How about we all bring a box of tissues to the game tomorrow night and when Cindy cries to the refs we rain down tissues on the ice?  On a related note, enjoy this picture of the Pittsburgh Penguins Top Secret Training Facility!

4. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

my thoughts exactly!!!

5. wotever says:

good stuff to a question from CTV’s Paul Graif

Uh who?

I’m assuming you mean his answer to the high stick to the head.  Possibly the only real non-canned robot response I’ve heard from Crosby ever.

Still.  Someone should tell him that it wasn’t Gorges that him in the back of the head.  And that it wasn’t intentional. And it’s a game.

I’m not the rabid fanboi here (“it’s not the band I hate, it’s their fans”), but personally I would be showing my kids elsewhere than Sidney Crosby as a role model, right now.  He’s going through a hard time and not dealing with it well.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

6. Say Ash says:

Didn’t they use the conditioning guy as a scapegoat last year and toss him?

7. Shublips says:

Staal returning to the lineup would make a big difference to the Pens lineup.  He is a key cog and would be a second line center on any other team in the league.

Regardless, the Habs have to stick to their game but on Thursday, they need to get more bodies to the next and pick up more second chances and rebounds.  That is the only way they’ll score and how then need to play to beat the Pens.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

8. mike g says:

Is it just me, or does it seem like someone has put a jinx on the Habs?

Since we finished 1st overall 2 years ago, we’ve been a team killed by injuries. It really sounds weird, but something is up and I’ve never seen this before.

Last year, Lang slices his ankle. Then Guillaume was gone for almost 2 months. Then Tanguay busted his shoulder. Then Koivu, and finally Markov was smashed on the last day of the year. We went into the playoffs depleated, and the regular season was filled with injuries.

This year, we’ve seen it all. Of course it had to start with Markov again, bye bye ankle. Then Gionta went down with a broken foot. Then Gomez pulled his groin. Then AK46 cracks his leg. Then Cammy busts his kee. We traded for Pouliot, and he came along with a busted wrist that needed about a month of rest. Metro, our leading PP goalscorer, gone with a busted shoulder 2 weeks before the playoffs.

I’m not sure about you guys, but I can’t remember seeing a team struggle so much with injuries in back-to-back years. And it’s not as if it’s our 3rd/4th line guys sitting out of the lineup, it’s our key/best players always getting hurt. Is it a curse? One year of luck like this, ok. But 2?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack