Penguins’ Staal practises in full equipment

AUDIO: Dan Bylsma | Sidney Crosby

Injured Pittsburgh Penguins centre Jordan Staal took part in his team’s optional workout this morning at the Bell Centre, one day after having skated briefly in sweats. He was injured in Game 1 of this series, the top of his foot having been slashed by the skate of Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban, something that required surgery immediately after the game.

Staal, one of the big presences on the Penguins penalty kill and an important part of their overall plans, looked good with gusts to very good during the optional, which involved about a dozen skaters and two goalies (but not Marc-André Fleury).

Head coach Dan Bylsma wouldn’t commit to a time frame for Staal’s return, but the centreman did look good and Bylsma made special mention of a couple of quick-burst plays through the defence that Staal made in four-on-four drills.

Re: the audio linked above: listen particularly to the last bit of Crosby – good stuff to a question from CTV’s Paul Graif

1. spcbrass says:

How about we all bring a box of tissues to the game tomorrow night and when Cindy cries to the refs we rain down tissues on the ice?  On a related note, enjoy this picture of the Pittsburgh Penguins Top Secret Training Facility!

2. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

my thoughts exactly!!!

3. HNS says:

If he cut his toenails properly, he would not have problems with ingrown toenails.

4. wotever says:

good stuff to a question from CTV’s Paul Graif

Uh who?

I’m assuming you mean his answer to the high stick to the head.  Possibly the only real non-canned robot response I’ve heard from Crosby ever.

Still.  Someone should tell him that it wasn’t Gorges that him in the back of the head.  And that it wasn’t intentional. And it’s a game.

I’m not the rabid fanboi here (“it’s not the band I hate, it’s their fans”), but personally I would be showing my kids elsewhere than Sidney Crosby as a role model, right now.  He’s going through a hard time and not dealing with it well.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

5. Say Ash says:

Didn’t they use the conditioning guy as a scapegoat last year and toss him?

6. Shublips says:

Staal returning to the lineup would make a big difference to the Pens lineup.  He is a key cog and would be a second line center on any other team in the league.

Regardless, the Habs have to stick to their game but on Thursday, they need to get more bodies to the next and pick up more second chances and rebounds.  That is the only way they’ll score and how then need to play to beat the Pens.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

7. hockeylegend514 says:

I wish markov could do the same. BTW Mister Stubbs i must say you are the sports writter i love to follow the most!

8. mike g says:

Is it just me, or does it seem like someone has put a jinx on the Habs?

Since we finished 1st overall 2 years ago, we’ve been a team killed by injuries. It really sounds weird, but something is up and I’ve never seen this before.

Last year, Lang slices his ankle. Then Guillaume was gone for almost 2 months. Then Tanguay busted his shoulder. Then Koivu, and finally Markov was smashed on the last day of the year. We went into the playoffs depleated, and the regular season was filled with injuries.

This year, we’ve seen it all. Of course it had to start with Markov again, bye bye ankle. Then Gionta went down with a broken foot. Then Gomez pulled his groin. Then AK46 cracks his leg. Then Cammy busts his kee. We traded for Pouliot, and he came along with a busted wrist that needed about a month of rest. Metro, our leading PP goalscorer, gone with a busted shoulder 2 weeks before the playoffs.

I’m not sure about you guys, but I can’t remember seeing a team struggle so much with injuries in back-to-back years. And it’s not as if it’s our 3rd/4th line guys sitting out of the lineup, it’s our key/best players always getting hurt. Is it a curse? One year of luck like this, ok. But 2?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

9. Fansincebirth says:

WHAT?!?!?!?!

10. vic says:

Has PK pulled a groin?

11. topher5468 says:

A good question would have been ” Hey Sid, Why are you such a whiny little bitch”. I would have loved to hear him answer that question.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

12. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

almost wet myself with that one!!! Very funny!

13. kempie says:

I guess a couple of stitches counts as “surgery”.

14. StevieRay says:

He didn’t help NJ much … last thing we need is another tempermental Russian …especially with his price tag ..

The K brothers are enough of a head case !

15. mike g says:

UMMM…he was NJ’s best player. By far.

Ask anyone who watched that series. He was the only one who cared on the NJ squad. Not even guys like Elias, Brodeur, Parise, or Langenbrunner showed any heart.

Kovalchuk cared, he wanted to win.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. keepthefaith says:

Kovalchuk cared so much he tried to win the thing by himself, never passed and never scored when it counted. Add 11 million dollars to that fact and no thank- you Kovy 2.

17. StevieRay says:

I had thought that by adding Kovechuk .. NJ would of been a CUP favourite .. pretty dissaponiting I’d say .. maybe he upset the team chemistry  there .. we’ll see what Lou does with him ..

18. Fansincebirth says:

The Oilers went down faster than a……

19. Ton says:

they call it parity. build teams to get in the playoffs and anything can happen. we been getting in the playoff regularily. you got to believe.

20. mike g says:

I know it’s called parity. Let’s just not think that just because we’ve had success in the playoffs this year, that it will translate into a great future…

We have to continue to build. Don’t tell me we can’t still use a player like Kovalchuk. Sign him, beause if we have a guy like that in a game like yesterday, it makes the world difference. Healthy PK and Markov and Spacek helps too.

But, even with a few additions nothing is guaranteed. Let’s not get our hopes up too high. Let’s enjoy the ride, and take it how it comes for a few years.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

21. Fansincebirth says:

Now you be careful out there Jordan. Wouldn’t want you to take a wicked slash to that foot…..

22. mike g says:

Awsome news!

Yesterday we lose Markov forever, we lose the game, and now Jesus Christ has magically healed Jordan Stall!

Man, it must be great being a Penguins fan. Never a moment of doubt.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

23. Say Ash says:

And we were fortunate to have Caesar in town last night. Did anybody else catch the refs look up at him – checking for a thumb-up or thumb-down?

24. Ton says:

sure they would love to grab the next two games. think of it this way there only half way there! we as hab fans need to come to terms that we are capable of now winning series and playing with the best of them. we are 3 to 4 players away from becoming a year to year contender.  we now have one of those players in pk, 3 to go.  1 to 2 forwards with size and one more proven scorer. (trotter, kristo, etc) go habs staal or no staal.

25. mike g says:

Really…

Well, I hope you are right. Because just a few tiny years ago, that’s exactly how the Oilers thaught. They had a nice young group of players ready to take it to the next level. They made the Cup Finals, game 7 actually, and lost. The future was so bright…..Oh wait, that’s right, they’ve sucked since.

Those Oilers cam crashing down faster than an airplane with no fuel.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

26. Storm Man says:

Staal must have got his Q-Ray bracelet today.

27. Say Ash says:

Staal sits out until the Pens lose a game. Why not?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Jagr yesterday signed a one-year extension to keep paying in the KHL. I love his quote: “Next year, I will be 39; I don’t believe many clubs would like to have me on their team. One has to be realistic.”

The extension is reportedly for $7 million. Yup. Keepin’ it real.

28. havok says:

Olli Jokinen will sign in the with Dinamo Minsk

29. Fansincebirth says:

No need for them to look up, they’re wired in.

I saw Bettman’s lips moving and the ref’s nodding in agreement…..

30. mike g says:

Nope, but I saw Lemieux creep under Bettman’s table a few times…

Wonder what he was doing…?? Maybe the thumbs-up had something to do with the “climax” point in the “hockey game”…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack