Penguins’ Shero beats Habs’ Bergevin for NHL’s GM award

Marc Bergevin had a very successful first season with the Canadiens, but it wasn’t enough to win the NHL’s GM of the Year Award.

The Pittsburgh Penguins’ Ray Shero won the award Friday, beating out Bergevin and Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks.

Other award winners announced Friday were:

Ottawa’s Paul MacLean won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s coach of the year after leading the Senators to a 25-17-6 record.

The Chicago Blackhawks’ Jonathan Toews won the Selke Trophy as the best defensive forward.

The Tampa Bay Lightning’s Martin St. Louis won the Lady Byng Trophy as the league’s most sportsmanlike player.

The Detroit Red Wings’ Henrik Zetterberg won the NHL Foundation Player Award for community service.

The Boston Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy for leadership and humanitarian contributions to the community.

Minnesota Wild goaltender Josh Harding, who has battled multiple sclerosis, won the Bill Masterton Memorial trophy for perseverance.

Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson won the Mark Messier Leadership Award.

Beginning at 7 p.m. Saturday during a live pregame TV special on CBC, the winners of the Hart, Calder, James Norris and Vezina trophies, along with the Ted Lindsay Award, will be revealed. The Canadiens’ Brendan Gallagher is a finalist for the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s top rookie, while teammate P.K. Subban is a finalist for the Norris Trophy as the best defenceman.

Game 2 of the Stanley Cup final between the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins starts at 8 p.m. Saturday.

NHL award winners and finalists, NHL.com

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. keithmacv says:

Oops…you’re

2. keithmacv says:

Hab fan in leaf jungle…

Prust was a leader and a major emotional spark plug on this team this season. If you cannot see his value than your a fking moron.

3. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Bergevin being nominated was a courtesy to Molson. This guy has done nothing of significance which showed any real results. Prust was an OK signing but he paid way more than other GMs would have for a middleweight. A waste of cap space. Prusty is a nice guy but he can’t fight the guys who need to be fought. Moen and Prust are the same (why have 2 when the cap is going down?)and both are useless for the real tough slugfests against Lucic and other big guys. Shero had the guts to go for broke and he lost but it takes courage and character to put all your chips in. MB insulted the only star he has (and he will pay big time when PK becomes an UFA), signed 4th liners and an aging miniature d-man who scores into his own net with ease. He didn’t deserve the nomination. Bryan Murray did a better job as did Doug Wilson.

4. Bash says:

Great lies of all time?

“My finger got stuck in glove.”

“I didn’t know who it was.”

“I didn’t know where I was on the ice.”

“That wasn’t my arm.”

“I wasn’t penalized so I didn’t do it.”

“It was an accident when I hit him. My shoulder made contact with his head when we he turned towards me.”

Others?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

5. adamkennelly says:

Trade for Matt Martin and Jamie McGinn…sign Bickell and Tarnasky.

all 4 are doable and our Habs would be primed and ready to push back against all comers…

• Marc10 says:

Who would you trade?

• adamkennelly says:

my list of trade-able assets include Gorges, Bourque, Gionta, Moen, Diaz, Weber, Leblanc, Kristo, Kaberle and required 2nd round picks to get the deals done. Obviously some of the guys on my list are of no value to anyone – other than a team trying to get to the cap floor (i.e. NYI)

10–4 Shane!

When I know our date, I could order other tickets for more home games close to our picked Summit game for people who want them!!

7. JUST ME says:

Although i understand that he is from another era i think that it is unfair that Scotty Bowman`s name is not in the poll cause the results would have been totally different.

Just saying that cause the poll does not show any clear winner between candidates but back then he would have been the one and only obvious choice.

He would get my vote as would Jacques Demers or Pat Burns, for some reason I look at that list of coaches and my reaction is “meh”. I think I will abstain from the vote this time. Granted I am hoping that in time I will gladly put a check mark besides MT’s name.

8. frontenac1 says:

@UCE. Read your link re/Chara. Agree 100%. Good work amigo. That golden age of Gretz and Mario was right after the Habs Golden age. There was no Instigator Rule back then. That rule has made the game more dangerous with cheap shots, lack of respect and little fear of retribution IMO. The skilled players could work their magic without being targeted like today.. Saludos!

• Chris says:

I honestly don’t think the instigator rule has anything to do with it.

Watch an NHL game from the mid 1980’s. Hardly any forwards skated backwards through the neutral zone. Today, every NHL forward basically defends like a defenceman.

Another issue in the 1980’s was what Chrys Goyens and Allan Turowitz called “the disappearing veteran”. In the early 1970’s, NHL players were playing (and in some cases excelling) well into their 30’s and even early 40’s. By the 1980’s, players were disappearing by age 30-32. Teams were loading up on cheaper kids whenever possible to save money. Kids bring energy and speed, but they are often defensively inept. This is one of the reasons that many historians give, looking back, for the anomalously high scoring output of the 1980’s.

The game was emphatically not any cleaner in the 1980’s then it is today. Remember Chris Chelios on Brian Propp? Billy Smith or Ron Hextall on just about anybody?

Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon? Dave Brown on Tomas Sandstrom?

Ken Daneyko was guilty of a lot of cheap shots throughout his career, and Scott Stevens trademarked the blindside head-shot. The difference was that we didn’t know how brutally dangerous those hits were and celebrated them.

I think people have to be careful about convoluting the scoring prowess of the 1980’s with the instigator rule. The instigator rule has tried to remove a lot of the pointless fighting in the game, ableit unsuccessfully. Players can’t throw a clean bodycheck these days without a teammate rushing to their “defence”.

But the scoring exploits of Lemieux (who took an absolute beating in the 1980’s), Lafontaine (whose career was ended early by a cheap shot), Gretzky and Yzerman were the product of goaltending that would be considered abysmal by today’s standards and a more wide-open game due to a lack of skilled players.

9. jols101 says:

If Horton dresses tonight does anyone actually believe the Hawks won’t be running him every opportunity they get with the intent on hurting the shoulder so he can’t play? Of course they will. This is the NHL playoffs. The Stanley Cup final. Winning is everything. There is no ‘play fair award’ in the Stanley Cup final.

I just spoke with Dr. Richard Kimble and he has reviewed the Crosby videotape. He has indeed confirmed that it wasn’t Chara who hit Crosby but rather it was indeed Frederick Sykes. Yup, the man with one arm, we need to catch this fugitive.

Bob McKenzie is making it sound like PK did indeed win Norris and sounds like Huberdeau wins Rookie and Ovechkin the Hart.

• Marc10 says:

Yeah… It was pretty easy to figure out as only the winners were called to Chicago.

• adamkennelly says:

irritating that Gallagher won’t be getting the Calder…Huberdeau??? what impact did he have on that team?

• punkster says:

Well, he was MOARBIGGER than Gally…so there’s that.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Mattyleg says:

Looks like another Raycroft/Ryder situation.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Marc10 says:

True dat. Most nights our man Gally was a standout on the ice. Don’t know that you could say Hubidoo was as much.

• Chris says:

What was Gallagher’s impact?

Huberdeau was a very good player that was surrounded by a crap cast. Team success doesn’t factor into individual awards, because it is largely out of the hands of the individual player.

Huberdeau, Gallagher, Yakupov and Saad all played equivalent roles for their teams with relatively similar success. I would argue that the guys that got screwed were Justin Schultz and Jonas Brodin, who both played a much larger role on their teams than Gallagher.

Brodin was the #2 defenceman on the Minnesota Wild and was played on the penalty kill, the power play and at even strength. Justin Schultz was a defenceman that finished tied (with Saad and Galchenyuk) for 5th in rookie scoring, only 1 point behind Gallagher. Since Gallagher is there basically for his offence, it stands to reason that a defenceman that gets basically the same number of points is just as valuable if not more so.

A great day in Southern Ontario, beautiful sunshine, hope everyone else is experiencing good weather out there. To all the Fathers in the HI/O family, I wish you guys a Happy Father’s Day Weekend!

Gotta go hit the links shortly and try defend last years tournament victory. (Thankfully there are 3 others in the 4some to help make victory possible)

13. savethepuck says:

It is absolute BS that I can watch the first 2 days of the US Open on TSN from 10:00 AM ( ADT) until they are finished. When it comes to the last 2 rounds, I have to wait for the “major” American networks to show it.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Habfan10912 says:

Same here in the States. No broadcast on ESPN this weekend. NBC picks up the broadcast at noon.

Yup! It is a real peeve of mine as well. Woke up this morning hoping to watch end of 2nd round for the guys, only to realize they weren’t covering it.

• adamkennelly says:

nothing to do with you being in Canada…ESPN is not covering any of the wknd play – that’s the feed TSN was getting. We all get to watch from 1 till late…should be a fun day of watching these pros play like the rest of us.

14. thebonscott says:

Dear MB, don’t forget about chris stewart in addition to bickell

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

15. jols101 says:

Chara is a beast.

I get that we have to hate him; he plays for the Bruins and he broke Patches’ neck on a cheap, dirty hit. However, I would love one of him on the Habs blueline.

I hope Tinordi can become half as nasty, intimidating and effective as Chara. I would be elated if Tinordi could achieve that.

16. JohnBellyful says:

As if we need further reason, we all should be rooting, hoping, praying that PK is announced as the Norris Trophy champion tonight. It points to team success at the highest level — at some point.
    Nineteen of the past 20 winners have at least one Stanley Cup ring, the exception being Karlsson, of course. That’s the highest percentage among the major award categories over the past 20 years.
    Selke winners are next, with only two not having won a Stanley Cup — Peca and Kesler.
    Hart Trophy winners, on the other hand, include Lindros, Theodore, Thornton, Ovechkin (twice) and H. Sedin.
    Calder Trophy winners have the poorest record of eventually becoming champions, with eight still looking for their first ring: Alfredsson, Berard, Nabokov, Heatley, Mason, Myers, Skinner, and Landeskog (of course, with half of this group it’s still early in their careers).

We were greatly entertainment by our club this year and we will be even better in the fall with this new management team, now in place.

HIO MEMBERS!!
    Don’t forget to stay tuned for when the new schedule comes out. I will be picking a game date for our weekend SUMMIT in Mtl. at the end of Oct. Those that have already purchased their tickets from the cancelled game last fall, will have replacement tickets given to them.
    For others that want to participate in Montreal for the HIO Summit weekend with us in Oct., please stay tuned for information on all our weekend events and game tickets.
    Ian

HIO fan contact site—Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

18. Hobie Hansen says:

News flash: If the Canadiens played the Penguins in the playoffs they’d all be trying to hit Crosby is the jaw too people!

• Mark C says:

Maybe. I doubt they would have sucker punched him and then lied about it. Chara is such a punk.

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh Hobie say it ain’t so. We’ve watched with horror for the last couple of seasons the total lack of respect NHL players have for each other. There is NO room in ANY sport for purposely trying to injure an opponent. That is exactly what Chara was trying to do. It wasn’t a message, it wasn’t intimidation, it was purposely trying to seriously injure an opponent (like he did with Patches) to give his team a better chance of winning. Totally classless and against all spirit of sports.
      While I have nothing to refute your claim that a Canadian player would try to hit Crosby in the jaw, I would hate to think that one would. As a matter of fact I’d hate to think of any professional athlete trying that.

• punkster says:

Well since neither of us has proof for or against that I’ll say this…I’d like to think most pro players would not stoop so low and of those who would, like Chara, Cooke, Orr (fill in your favorite cheap shot artist here) I can’t think of anyone on the Habs roster who fits the bill.

I can understand body checking Crosby…hard…but anyone who would target a player who has concussion issues and a fragile jaw, with a cheap shot to the face, well that person is a gutless scumbag puke.

But then look at who we’re talking about here…he targeted Max for what he clearly hoped was a career ending hit into a stanchion, he tried desperately to punch Emelin in the face in that one sided fight…he’s a puke.

On this I believe we can agree.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

19. Habfan10912 says:

From the results of the poll to the right it appears Guy Carbonneau has a lot of family members who are members of the HIO community.

• neumann103 says:

Really?

My response to those poll results was “Jeez, a lot of the HIO community must have been in elevators where Alain Vigneault got in – and then farted”

I guess people naturally overrate Julien because he happens to be behind the bench in the Stanley Cup Finals right now, but how many of those guys would you actually want coaching the Habs?

I still think it is unfortunate that Gillis did not panic and fire Vigneault a year earlier, then the Habs could have hired him

“Et le but!”

20. Lafleurguy says:

I’d guess if Chara were jostling with Mark Stahl, he would poke him in the eye.

“May you live in interesting times.”

21. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. I wonder what hurt Bergevin more. The DD signing or the Price extension?

• Lafleurguy says:

My @@ answer is the Mike Zibanejad kicked-in sham goal.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Pretty sure the Price extension would help him. Considering all the GMs in the league were stating Price was the best in the league before he had a bad finish to the season?

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny that perhaps if the voting were held after the playoffs the result may have been different.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think most hockey people look at the Canadiens defence with Markov, Bouillon, Diaz and Gorges and figure out that it’s hard for Price to get on a real good roll.

It’s a very long night for a goalie when his defence is four or five inches shorter and 20lbs lighter than the guys they’re trying to keep away from the Montreal net.

One day, hopefully, Price has a real defence in front of him.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree. I think he tends to overplay at times to compensate for the lack of defense. Confidence may be an issue because of it as well.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Exactly.

• neumann103 says:

the average guy they are trying to keep away from the front of the net is Josh Gorges sized.

I understand the desire for a big crease clearing defenseman, and that players like Gorges and Markov perhaps don’t play as “big” as they actually are, but the focus on “size”seems to lead all too often to the reductionist magic height cutoff for the NHL of 6′ 1″

I also think that coaching was a big factor in this year’s defensive zone coverage. The aggressive puck pursuit on the boards not only led to a lot of openings in the slot, in front of the net and the back door play, but the scheme seemed to confuse some players – notably Gorges.

Combined with the penalty killing scheme, this was a major factor in defensive lapses. I don’t know if both were directions from JJ Daigneault, but if so, replacing him would be my first knee jerk panicky reaction vs discarding players like Diaz, Markov and Gorges (Boullion? not so much)

“Et le but!”

• neumann103 says:

Oh, and i agree with Jim’s point which you echo about Price and confidence in the D.

In the last few weeks of the season there were a lot of plays where it seemed that Price did not fully commit to the shooter at least plausibly because he did not trust the defense to take away the pass, or cover the open man and the puck ended up in the net because Price looked handcuffed on the shot, or the pass made it across.

EDIT: But again, I think that really weird coaching decisions on defensive zone schemes created this, much more than a lack of 1.5 inches in height and 7 pounds weight on selected defensemen

“Et le but!”

Not that I needed another reason to root against the Bruins, but the Chara shot on Crosby’s jaw is more ammunition indeed. To think a few months back those two were standing side by side behind Donald Fehr as unified brothers.

23. kirkiswork says:

In other sporting/political news, concerning the turban ban in Quebec, Pauline plants her foot squarely into her mouth…..again.
    Keep it up.

• Propwash says:

The fact that the situation was used as wedge politics disgusts me, but then again, that’s the modus operandi of the PQ.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Marc10 says:

Yeah… There was really no need for her to get involved in this… Leaving that up to the sporting bodies would have been a better move.

As much as I’m not a fan of religion, I don’t know that kids playing kick around need to be prevented from having a good time. As long as the safety of others isn’t threatened or that the basic integrity of the game isn’t compromised, this should fall under ‘les accommodements raisonnables’ that the whole commission thingy was going on about.

Tolerating a minimum amount of nonsense is part and parcel of living in a healthy society. Our dear premier would do well to focus on what really matters and leave the divisive side show politics to the side.

24. Maritime Ron says:

As a follow up to uce’s post, here was wondering why Crosby lost it on Chara in Game I of the Bruins-Pens series.
    At first, there was a belief that Crosby was just being Crosby – yapping and whining to try and get his team going.

Leave it to TSN to find the tape.
    One can clearly see that prior to that, Chara targeted Crosby’s recently broken jaw with a solid left hand punch just under his face shield while Crosby was being held by Bergeron.

The pic of the Chara targeted punch of Crosby’s jaw:

The actual video at the 3:00 mark

As is Chara’s Modus operandi in all similar events, he denies culpability by stating there was no penalty on the play, and then challenged the TSN crew to actually prove it was HIS OWN arm and punch.

Dear Zdeno,
    Even though you are alien Klingon huge, every dog has his day.

• scavanau says:

This evidence will only endear him more to Bruins fans

• Propwash says:

The numbers on the jersey on the arm in the punching motion is evidence enough.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• AndyF says:

I’m not a huge fan of Crosby’s, but wow — *that* was a dirty dirty move by Chara. I guess as Habs fans, we all remember how Chara had claimed that he didn’t even know it was Pacioretty that he had pasted into the stancheon a few years a go.

I hope Chara’s future reserves him a fitting fate.

• kempie says:

Chara’s right out of it all the time. He never has any idea who he is or who’s on the ice or where things are or what’s going on. It’s a pretty fast game ya know and sometimes he just loses track of what’s going on.

• New says:

That’s all the NHL and Shanahan are interested in. Everybody loses it but Chara lies easily and often when he does. The NHL likes that.

But the game is for big boys and before Crosby took off the shield he knew it would happen and accepted that. The argument is with the officials. These guys can’t keep up, and if you’ve ever been in a melee you know it is sometimes hours later before your brain gets the message through. Your brain doesn’t multitask (that is nice term for scatterbrained), it prioritizes. So if you see a job ad for someone who can prioritize you know they just fired the multitasker. If the ad is for multitasker then you know the boss is one too :-)

25. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t know why this keeps happening, but my post won’t stick on here. No profanity, no excess links, word count sort of decent. If any mods can contact me and tell me what I’m doing wrong, I’d love to find out. I want to learn. I will improve.

I stayed up way past my bedtime working on the Zdeno Chara punch on Sidney Crosby. It angried up my blood.

Follow the link below if you’re interested.

• Marc10 says:

I agree, but that’s what happens when you play under Gary’s House Rules in the playoffs. Anything goes.

… and you either build a team to play that game or get rolled in 4. Ask the Pens how that worked out. it’s the second year in a row they don’t play by Gary’s Rules.

I wish things were different, but that’s how it is. The Hawks fortunately seem to have just the right mix. Hopefully MB is taking notes.

• Strummer says:

If these are “Gary’s Rules”, why then is “Gary’s Boy” Crosby the victim of said rules?

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Fransaskois says:

Read your article, watched the hit on Patches again….. ready to start some fisticuffs.

Maybe I’ll just start watching more international hockey, don’t really like the direction the NHL has been going in. It’s a shame the changes after the lockout only lasted so long as I feel the style of play has been making it’s way back to the older 90’s style since that time.

26. Marc10 says:

If the Pens manage to sign Letang, they are going to be so top heavy it won’t be funny.

I would expect League revenues to climb sharply in any event, but still Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neale,… They’re going to need to buy out Fleury to be able to fill out the rest of the team.

And why did Shero win GM of the year?! I’m stumped. Iggy was handed to him. Morrow was useless… Weird?!

• Un Canadien errant says:

The voting occurred before the playoffs, when everyone agreed he’d been very shrewd, and had assembled an unbeatable roster. Remember Paul McLean, openly wondering why we should bother playing the games, and saying we should just give the Pens the Cup?

27. The Jackal says:

Has Timo said that MB lost because he signed DD and Drewiske yet?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

28. Un Canadien errant says:

A great piece on an oddball story, about a man who wanted to walk from Seattle to Rio for the World Cup of soccer, dribbling a soccer ball all the way there. The author treats it as more than a trivial event that ended tragically. Worth a read.

29. Sportfan says:

We could use another Mats Naslund!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

30. Sportfan says:

LOL Feaster says they have to win at the draft and the FA, anyone else think he lost before it started?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. Sportfan says:

Still see Gally and PK winning!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. NCRhabsfan says:

Good call by NHL voters. A decent first year for MB but not good enough for an award.

33. sweetmad says:

For information there is no E after the G in Gorges,it is an eastern European spelling.
    Every one wants to trade this player or that,but nobody agrees on who it should be,I am just glad we have a GM and not run by a comittee HIO people there would be war.
    You all go on about whiskey and single malts,when I was on my master of wines course,we had a lecture by the head of the whiskey federation,he said that the best from a technical point of view was a highland and a lowland blend,because you get the best from both whiskeys,but of course the best is the one you prefer,as for Laphroig it is supposedly classed as one of the best,myself I can’t stand the stuff,on this course we had some of the best and the oldest,stuff you can’t buy and it made me ill.
    GO HABS GO

… and on top of that McQuaid scored to send Bruins to the Stanley cup finals. Freakiddy frack!

Bergevin was even considered? You have got to be kidding me.

36. Thurston says:

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere before, but LeBrun says the Habs “covet” Bryan Bickell but doesn’t think they will overpay to get him.
    Also, there were “rumblings” the Canadiens might contemplate making Carey Price available but LeBrun shot down those rumours.

• Timo says:

I believe that. Habs only overpay useless soft tiny forwards. Not big tough guys or best defensemen in the league.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Moen is not small and Gorges is a D-man…

• The Jackal says:

I see what you did there. The good old contrapositive.

Actually I don’t even know if that’s what you meant.
          Damn LSAT conditional statements are following me around everywhere.

Every time I see or hear the word “if,” I shudder.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

37. Un Canadien errant says:

These guys are really good, I’m surprised they haven’t been discovered by American Idol yet.

38. frontenac1 says:

Sounds good piper. Thanks for the tip!

39. SmartDog says:

5 GM Questions:
    1. Which is MORE important for MB to pick up – grit or scoring?
    2. Which ONE free agent signing would you MOST like to see?
    3. Who is harder to see as a Hab? Nathan Horton, Andrew Ference, Clarke MacArthur, Dustin Penner
    4. Which top 6 F or top 4 D Hab would you be most ready to trade to bolster the Habs?
    5. Would you make an even bet that at least ONE of the following is GONE by October: Moen, Gionta, Gorges?

SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SlovakHab says:

1) What’s more important, arm or a leg? But if I have to choose one, I think our top-6 scoring could use some physicality. That’s why all that cry for Clowe/Horton/Bickell/Clarkson type of player. I could definitely imagine that.
      2) Bickell, although that’s unlikely for a reasonable price.
      3) For me, definitely Ference.
      4) Desharnais, and it’s not even close. On D, Joshy Gorges.
      5) No, I reckon the will be all Habs until the end of 2013, at the very least.

• Harditya says:

1. Scoring.
      2. Won’t happen, but man, Damien Brunner. Ideally..Jeff Schultz, but Habs have already re-signed Bouillon and Drewiske.
      3. Nathan Horton, though I am not a fan of Ference and Penner at all.
      4. Desharnais/Gionta/Gorges
      5. Gionta

• SlovakHab says:

You point to scoring in 1., but then want to get rid of Gionta in 4/5.?

Gionta scored 79 goals in 222 Habs games, and can be good for another 20-30 if healthy next season. That’s still a top-6 scorer.

• Harditya says:

I never questioned Gionta’s ability to score in the past, he’s been one of top goal scorers every year for the Habs, WHEN healthy. BUT.. after two surgeries done on the same location..that too within back-to-back seasons, one would assume his play would deteriorate. Not like he’s getting any younger. And for what he brings, his cap hit is huge. Unless he re-signs for 3 M, that’s quite a bit for a perimeter player. And I feel, with the Habs in a re-building stage it’s time for the young players to shine. Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Pacioretty and even Desharnais had more points than Gionta in the regular season. Gallagher, Eller and Chucky undoubtedly deserve more ice time. And Gio is not a third line player, thus..someone will have to be shipped.

• Phil C says:

Gionta’s surgery is on the other arm this year, and I don’t think he is a perimeter player, he goes to the net as well as anybody, just ask Reimer. But you are right that durability may be a concern given his age and style of play.

• SlovakHab says:

As per Phil C.

Next season he still will be useful and needed. We can move on in 2014.

• NCRhabsfan says:

I agree with Phil C, he is not a perimeter player, he’s a spectator. He will never again be a significant player on an NHL team over any meaningful period. He may enjoy a few good games here and there on the few occasions when he’s healthy, but that’s it. You do not win a stanley cup with Gionta as a guy you count on. That he’s one of the top goal scores on the Habs when he’s healthy actually speaks to how poor other Habs forwards have been, not how skilled Gionta is. He’s not even close to being an elite scorer when compared to true elite scorers on other NHL teams.

• Habfan17 says:

Let’s put this in perspective, Gionta, yes he scored 14 goals, but the Habs need someone who can score at about a point per game pace. They also need more size. I like Gionta, but in looking at his playoff scoring, he had 2 points and was minus 2 this season. His point came on the PP which means he did not score at even strength.
          In 2010-11 he had 5 points in 7 games and was minus 6. 2 points came on the pp which means he had 3 points at even srength while giving up 6. That is not good for the playoffs and will not lead to winning. The Habs need players who can score at even strength while keeping the opposition of the board. Gionta does not do this.
          Habfan17

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

1. Grit
      2. Clarkson…perfect for Max and DD.
      3. Andrew Ference and his finger…
      4. F: Plekanec-replaceable by Eller
      D: Markov if not going to be resigned.
      5. Moen should be gone…

• Marc10 says:

Great questions as always…

1. Scoring… you can get a bit of grit with your scoring (harder the other way around)
      2. Bickell
      3. Ference – I really hate that punk, but Penner would make Moen look dynamic until the playoffs
      4. Gio, Gorges – both untradeable though (Eller or Yemmy would likely get you the best return but I wouldn’t trade either unless we get a can’t miss prospect to slot in at #2Center or #2-3-4D)
      5. No. They’re not moving… but Moen might go later.

40. frontenac1 says:

Thanks Dunboyne! Don’t think I’ve tried that one yet. Looking forward to sampling the fine nectar of Scotland and playing a few rounds of golf with the Mrs. Saludos!

• piper says:

Fronts, try to visit the Belhaven brewery at Dunbar. Great pints.

• Fransaskois says:

If you’re swinging by Edinburgh, you NEED to stop in at Holyrood 9A. Absolutely incredible burgers and beers. It’s very busy at night but you can usually stop in before 5pm and get a good table and fast service. Brewdog on Cowgate is also a great pub if you’re looking for a longer (very long) list of local brews.

The weather’s been great lately but be prepared for some nasty days, hope you enjoy your trip!

41. SlovakHab says:

I had nothing better to do than playing with Capgeek so I bought out Kaberle and traded Desharnais for 7th round pick in 2022.
    Signed Horton, Halpern, Dupuis, Regin and Scuderi. Alternatives to them are Bickell, Stalberg, Armstrong and Ian White or Douglas Murray.

FORWARDS
    Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m)
    Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
    Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
    Peter Regin ($0.800m) /
    DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
    Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
    Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
    Davis Drewiske ($0.638m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($6.500m)
    Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
    OTHER
    Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,873,333; BONUSES: $2,697,500
    CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,124,167

• SmartDog says:

nicely done

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Dust says:

I think you are low on how much it will cost for Dupuis and Horton. I think Horton will get at least 5 mil on the open market and Dupuis is coming off a career year he will get 3 mil. Just my thoughts.

• SlovakHab says:

Yeah, they can cost more.. I just worked with their current salaries.
        If Dupuis is too expensive I’m happy to retain Colby Armstrong. But we definitely need a Horton/Clowe/Bickell/Clarkson type of players.

• Marc10 says:

Other than Dupuis at 1.5 it works. I’d pass on Scuderi (and wait for a D man at the deadline if we’re there…) and either go for Dupuis or Stallberg or Bickell.

You might be able to trade DD to Dallas to reunite him with Cole, but I doubt it.

• SlovakHab says:

with Emelin out, we need a top-4 d-man now.
        otherwise we are sellers at deadline.

• Marc10 says:

Need yes, but that’s where Tinordi steps into the deep-end. I don’t think MB goes after Scuderi.

IMO, it’s going to be band-aid D until Yemmy returns (and it’s still pretty weak until Beaulieu and Tinordi come into their own… assuming Beaulieu’s off ice troubles and work ethic don’t let him down…)

• piper says:

Who’s the sucker that gave you a 7th rounder for Desharnais?

• Un Canadien errant says:

As long as the 7th-rounder is protected to be in the top-24 picks of the round. If it’s in the bottom half, 25th-48th, it should convert into a 6th rounder automatically.

• NCRhabsfan says:

You got too much for DD. Who was stupid enough to trade a 7th round pick for him in 2022?

42. JoaquindaPark says:

This is a travesty. Fred Shero just bared the cupboards to get Iginla, Morrow and Murray, and lost. Then he turns around and rewards everyone by signing Bylsma and Malkin. Now he is left with $7M to sign 7 players including Dupuis and aforementioned. If the Pens are still a force in two years maybe then he should get this award.
    Bergevin meantime got rid of Cole, controlled Subban, got rid of Gomez and will do same with Kaberle. No worries Marc. The next two seasons will show you are the best. Go Habs!!!!

43. Un Canadien errant says:

Just got a fresh, brand-new copy of “Coach: the Pat Burns Story.” I’d asked for an inter-library loan, but the girls decided to buy a copy for our library instead. They treat us real nice.

I didn’t know it was a recent book, published in 2012, I thought it had been around for a while. I’ll try to blast through it and post a review soon.

———————————————————————–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

UCE, did you review the Darcy Jenish book? If so, have you a link?
      (If you’re still talking to me, that is! I think I inadvertently walked you into something. Apologies.)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not at all Mike, we’re tight. I was trying to caution you against that, but I won’t step into that bear trap.

Never heard of the book you’re mentioning, I’ll google it.

If you go to my blog, I’ve archived the book reviews I posted on here. Just search “book review”, they should pop up, on Bob Probert, Theo Fleury, and R.A. Dickey. I never posted reviews on “The Game” by Ken Dryden, and “Robinson for the Defence”, which I re-read and read over a year ago. I’ll wait a year and re-read and review then, I guess.

———————————————————————–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers, Normand.
          Big fan of Dick Irvin. Jenish would need to be as good or I wouldn’t commit any of my limited and precious (reading) time.
          Another really fine one — though its content might put off readers on this site! — is “Leaf Abomination” by the Star’s Feschuk.
          Of course The Game is in a league of its own.

44. deuce6 says:

This site is adding the awards as a live update..Last update was 2hrs ago…They list all of the winners up to the last minute and when it comes to the Calder they simply have Br….As in starting to type Brendan Galllagher..Take a look:

——————
    Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• HabFab says:

Check out TSN story below.

• deuce6 says:

??

The link just directs me to the NHL main page on TSN..No mention of Huberdeau winning the Calder..

——————

• HabFab says:

Check out the Insider video.

• deuce6 says:

Yea, thanks..Just seen the vid on the right..

I just seen this link and what was typed and thought there was something to it..

——————

45. frontenac1 says:

@lafleurguy. I love Lagavulin amigo! In fact my wife and I are going to Scotland in Sept. And are going on a 4 day excursion on the Whiskey Trail. Lagavulin is one of the stops. Its our 30th anniversary. She booked it, what a gal eh?

• mksness says:

ahhh lagavulin. one of my favs

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Where does Laphroaig register with ye? Such a weird experience: you open it, it smells exactly the same as a turf fire, then you drink it!

Congrats on 30, Front, and enjoy Scotland. Any diversions to Ireland, let me know.

Ozmodiar might be here, endlessly comparing pairs of Guinness and Murphy’s.

• boing007 says:

I had some Laphroaig with my uncle in Normandy a long time ago. My first single malt experience. A memorable one.

Richard R

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wow! What a place to start!

I know it’s not whiskey, but when in Normandy did you also sample calvados?

• boing007 says:

@Dunboyne Mike

My uncle treated me to a bottle of 16 year old Calvados while I was there. We also drove past a factory in the Pays d’Auge with the windows rolled down. Mmmm. There were thousands of tiny apples baking in the sun in a nearby field. Hopped over to Deauville, Trouville, Caen, Lisieux (Sainte Thérèse). Saw the Normandy calves grazing in the fields. My uncle insisted that I take several photos of them. Love that Normandy veal.

Richard R

• Lafleurguy says:

Hi Front, not surprised by your appreciation of one of the “toughest,” but most satifying whiskies around. Enjoy your trek on the “Spy” trail.

“May you live in interesting times.”

46. SlovakHab says:

Alfredsson gives up when down 1-3 to Penguins, wins NHL leadership award.

47. JohnBellyful says:

The Toronto Star has its anti-hit list, the Oscars have their Razzies, and, in case you didn’t know, the NHL has its Atrophies (for players with diminishing talents)

1.) Bat Masterton (awarded to a player whose prowess as an enforcer is exaggerated) –
    2.) Hartless (awarded to the player whose commitment to his team and sport is sorely lacking) –
    3.) Frank J. Sulky (awarded to the player whose moodiness poisons a team’s chemistry) –
    4.) Lady Blyng (awarded to the player more concerned with looks than performance) –
    5.) Caldera (awarded to the first-year player with the most explosive temper) –

The recipients will be announced tomorrow but if anyone has some inside sources …

• GrimJim says:

Chara for the Caldera
      SKost for the Hartless

• Steven says:

Bat: Konopka
      Hartless: Probably one of the Kostitsyns
      Sulky: Heatley(still love that guy though.)
      Blyng: Seems like Avery would fit here nicely if he was still around
      Caldera: Chara, no doubt

• Rad says:

Here is what my sources are telling me re the Atrophies:
      The Bat Masterton is going again to 2-time winner Ryan White
      The Hartless … Michael “WhoDunIt” Cammalleri
      The Frank J. Sulky undoubtedly goes to Brendan “the Kid” Gallagher
      The Lady Blyng recipient is Andrei “the Bald” Markov
      The Caldera … Nate the Great Beaulieu

Hope this helps :-)

48. HabFab says:

Check out the Insider on TSN if you missed.
    – PK gets Norris but Hub gets the Calder
    – Bickell will be pursued by MB big time if the Blackshawks can’t resign
    – and see why Sydney flipped at Chara during game 1. Nothing new to Hab fans;

49. deuce6 says:

Signing Desharnais and Carey Price to such lucrative deals were errors, IMO…

Just for the record, both starting goalies in this year’s SC Final don’t make as much as Price, combined..

——————

50. Habsville says:

Thee awards are financial decisions. Now a team with Malkin and crosby, who’s GM grabbed Jerome beats a team with a Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher . Of course handing PK the Norris will handicap our GM in two years

51. habsfan0 says:

It was resigning DD in the middle of the season that cost Bergevin the GM of the year award.

52. frontenac1 says:

@ jols. Gorges! Thanks amigo! Damn thumbs are getting numb after the Vodka cocktails. Saludos!

53. jols101 says:

Poor G(e)orges. No respect. His name gets mangled more than any Hab.

54. JF says:

I don’t really see how Shero wins the best GM award. In 2012 the Penguins were one of the favourites to win the Cup, as they were this year. They didn’t win it or even contend for it either year, and I’m not sure they were significantly better this year than last. As for Shero’s deadline additions, I think the team would have been better off without them – or better off by adding some depth and grit to their bottom two lines rather than adding the fading stars they did. I’m not saying Bergevin should necessarily have won the award, but I think he improved the Habs more than Shero improved the Penguins.

• Lafleurguy says:

A case of “premature deliberation” JF on the part of the voters, because the playoffs showed how Chiarelli and Bowman built more leak-proof teams than the Penguins.

“May you live in interesting times.”

55. frontenac1 says:

Some people want to trade Georges? Really? He blocks more shots than any Hab,Hits, Takes hits to make a play, and drops his mitts against bigger guys to protect his team mates and you want him traded? What about Weber,Diaz and Kaberle? Soft and useless.

56. Maritime Ron says:

The Best GM Award should be one voted on only after the playoffs.
    Sometimes standing still instead of making panicky moves or loading up a team with too many former captains is best.
    The best 2 GMs are the ones left standing right now.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

CBC : Vote: Pick the NHL’s 2013 award winners, Part 2

…according to CBC’s cross-Canada results, PK and Gallagher are a lock :)

• habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Marc Bergevin will be pulling for or against Subban to win the Norris?

• Lafleurguy says:

Against. If he ever was a Habs fan, that had to be put aside for sound business reasons. Interesting that P.K. has retreated from being a Kypreos-confirmed winner to a “finalist” once again today.

“May you live in interesting times.”

58. Lafleurguy says:

Is Burly Ok? Hope nothing serious happened.

“May you live in interesting times.”

59. GrosBill says:

Maclean wins the Jack Adams
    Toews won Selke
    St-Louis won the Lady Bing

And me: First

Edit-It only showed Shero as winner at first so this info is now listed above. How to ruin my “first” post HIO

• Lafleurguy says:

He must have had some strong games in the regular season but Jonathan Toews doesn’t stand out among many other fine shut-down forwards who are also offensive threats during the current playoffs.

“May you live in interesting times.”