Pens on ropes after gong show in Philly; Canucks on brink

gong

Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, hardly an innocent bystander on this afternoon, stands over some of the human wreckage at Wells Fargo Center on Sunday.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

Old-time hockey, some were calling it. Perhaps, if old-time hockey involved chasing opponents around the rink, trying to decapitate them. Or crosschecking a guy in the throat after he’d levelled someone else with a terrific, clean bodycheck. Or meant pulling hair. You know, just the regular stuff.

When the smoke cleared, and there was plenty of it, the Pittsburgh Penguins had almost fully imploded Sunday afternoon in Philadelphia, losing a gong show 8-4 after two nights earlier having lost 8-5 on home ice. The Flyers now hold a commanding 3-0 lead with two days off until Wednesday’s Game 4.

Elsewhere:

• In Los Angeles, Jonathan Quick’s shutout goaltending was one goal better than that offered by Vancouver’s Cory Schneider, the Kings’ 1-0 win over the Canucks putting L.A. up 3-0 and moving last spring’s Stanley Cup-finalist on the brink of elimination.
• In Detroit, former Canadien Sergei Kostitsyn scored what would be the winner and the Predators hung on for dear life to defeat the Red Wings 3-2 and take a 2-1 lead in their series.
• In Sunrise, Fla., the Panthers clawed to a 4-2 win over New Jersey, tying at 1-1 the series between Florida and the Devils.

Meanwhile, New York Rangers’ Carl Hagelin was suspended three games by the NHL for his Saturday elbow to the head of Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, while the Senators’ Matt Carkner was banned for one game for his punching-bag routine on New York’s Brian Boyle in the same game.

1. Marc10 says:

The Halak comments crack me up. It used to annoy me that the deal would continuously be second guessed but the absurdity of some of the posts has won me over.

Maybe HIO should set up a separate section for the comic material that’s being generated from the ‘Little Slovak that could (or couldn’t)’.

Keep up the good work fellas!

• HabFanSince72 says:

This may be harsh but St.Louis’s fortunes have turned around nicely since his injury.

I wonder what Allan Walsh is tweeting these days.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• The Cat says:

If that ends up being the case, perhaps itll be good for Halak to have a chip on his shoulder, but looking at last nights game, its pretty hard to say Elliot was the difference maker, SJ won 2-1 at even strength. The PP was more the difference, but the bottom line is that its all about outdueling the goalie at the other end.

2. MattZ says:

Crazy ending in San Jose… Sadly for the Sharks, that’s probably as close it they will get, the Blues have too much depth.

• Clay says:

Great team…if only they had a goalie or two :D

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Duracell3 says:

It’s weird they list Halak as a lower body injury, very much looked like his neck.

• Clay says:

I thought so too…maybe the knee got twisted? Maybe they’re lying to mislead the opposition or cover up a possible concussion?

__________________________
          ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Duracell3 says:

I had similar thoughts, seems to be too little for a concussion, but his reaction was also very strange. He looked like he was in a lot of pain, then fine and ready to go, he tells the trainer to leave, and then a second later is going off the ice. At this point in the series I’d be surprised if he played again at all even if he was 100%, but then I don’t know the dynamic of the coach’s choosing I guess.

3. Stormin says:

Quebec Remparts lose again to Halifax and have blown a 3-0 lead in series it is now tied at 3 games. Grigorenko is looking awful. Nathan Mckinnon And local boy Jonathan Drouin are looking great both only available in next years 2013 draft. Douin 2 goals and 2 assists tonight and a plus 3, Mckinnon 1 goal and 2 assist and a plus 2. Grigorenko -2

4. sreuel says:

If all that I am reading in the paper and web. The Habs are getting permission to speak to this guy and that that guy. But there has not been any report that Roy has been asked just speculation

5. sreuel says:

So if Elliott takes the blues along way. Does this mean Halak loses his job next season

6. sreuel says:

When we replaced our coach why didn’t we ever do it with Ken Hitchoch. Look at what he has done but again he took a young team who would listen

7. EricInStL says:

Look aty this video at the 2:57 mark, how many goals could the present NHLers score if goalies had that type of equipment ?

• Stormin says:

Classic video,,,,I have been saying that for years, no more crossing the blue line and beating the goalie, ala Lafleur, Kurri, Bossy, most goals now are ping pong deflections or garbage goals in front of the net. Goalie equipment has morhed over the years, but so has players sticks and equipment , but i think i would be ok with some type of reduction in goalie equipment size

• EricInStL says:

I’m pretty sure you can make pads that are safe enough but are more cylinder in shape than rectangular. Also reduce the spring in the new sticks. Just a bit…

• Chuck says:

Gotta love those transparent boards!

___________________________________________________

8. Stormin says:

St.Louis Blues Logo is pretty cool and looks awesome on their away whites

9. ProHabs says:

Just got in from Wanda’s. Gomez was in there shelling out dead presidents like it was nobody’s business. I think he is enjoying his offseason.

10. Michael says:

Wow, Marchand’s diving would make Max Lapierre blush. How on Earth do Bruins’ fans complain about opposing teams diving (whether it’s true or not) and not see this crap? Marchand looks like a soccer player out there! I mean, it’s one thing to try to exaggerate an actual (or borderline) infraction, almost everyone does that, but this is nuts! Couldn’t help but notice Cherry didn’t have much to say about him.

• EricInStL says:

from what I saw in the 3rd, the refs didn’t fall for it and the commentators on TV made fun of him.

No use getting worked up for nothing.

• Mark C says:

You clearly don’t know many Bruin fans, these people deny the existence of diving on their team, yet more than willing to make fun of other teams that dive.

• EricInStL says:

I do know and anything the Canadiens did was cause for ridicule, I remember the hit on Spacek and them saying he was faking it.

Remember fan is short for fanatic, every team has their set of nuts. The difference is our comes in french and english.

Leighton is on re-entry waivers. Let’s grab him again.

12. Chuck says:

Trade Hammer!

___________________________________________________

13. The Jackal says:

They got lucky with that deflection, Washington will get the next one.

14. Mavid says:

cue the bruins falling everywhere..in hopes of a penalty call

15. Adidess says:

I don’t get the savagerie that passes for toughness in these playoffs. How tough do you need to be to suckerpunch somebody?

That’s what Carkner did. That’s what tough guy Lucic just did. Disgusting!

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

16. The Jackal says:

What BS. Boston is the worst team ever arrrrg.

17. EricInStL says:

Marchand the new Lemieux ?

18. Stormin says:

Hamrlik scores own goal for Boston, damn

• Chuck says:

Best tip of his career. Too bad it was past his own goaltender.

___________________________________________________

• Stormin says:

Your right that was as good as it get for a deflection goal, lol

19. mb says:

Oh come on. Not HIM.

Go tie it, Caps.

20. EricInStL says:

Washington goated Lucic into a penalty.

21. Mavid says:

hahaha what a beauty of a tying goal!!!!!!!!! Go caps go

22. The Jackal says:

I hate Boston so much, so f ing much! I hope they get eliminated so bad!!!

23. Mavid says:

I am with TomNickle on this one..from what I saw Calkner sucker punched Boyle, then wailed on him while he was down..what pissed me off even more is during his interview he quoted Boyles size and then said “I don’t understand why he did not defend himself” with this stupid grin on his face..Calkner is a good fighter and that whole incident made him look like the calbre of Chris Neil..a tool..

24. Ali says:

@TomNickle I get what you’re saying and I respect your opinion. I don’t think equivocating real life to hockey makes sense. Nobody wants to see a Bertuzzi/Moore incident. But what Carkner did is no different from the hundreds of fights this year where the person starts swinging without waiting for an invitation (usually after a big hit or a similar incident to karlsson/boyle). I feel Boyle was trying to draw a penalty which is why he didn’t drop his gloves.

• Stormin says:

That is exactly what Boyle did, He could have answered the bell , but decided to turtle for the power play, I dont recall Karlson asking Boyle to wash his face with five punches the game before, I am sorry but in Hockey you have to answer when you attack the other teams star player

• TomNickle says:

Thank you Ali. But here’s the difference for me between what happened Saturday and what happens during the season.

As you said during the season it’s usually reactionary, so it happens during play or after the whistle as a reaction to a specific play. But here is what Carkner did.

1. Clinched with Boyle.
      2. Shook his glove off well out of Boyle’s view.
      3. Grabbed him at his far side and punched him twice starting with his hand held hidden along side his leg.
      4. Jumped on him, pinned him and punched him more while he couldn’t defend.

• Ali says:

I don’t think I agree with you on the intentions (I think it just unfolded that way, went to grab him, challenged him again, dropped his gloves and started throwing thinking that he was giving him no choice but to fight. The shots after he was down I don’t accept, and are deserving of a penalty and the one game suspension. That much I do agree with.

• TomNickle says:

Consider for a moment that Carkner was not dressed for game one and this occurred on the first shift of the game.

The majority of that episode was very much by design.

• Ali says:

No disagreement there. Same thing as dressing Konopka. Intention was to confront and to make sure they knew not to do that again, not to sucker punch.

25. clubdehockey says:

Question: doesn’t the goalie have to be in his crease for icing to be called?

I thought this was a rule; however I’ve seen icing being called on multiple occasions during these playoffs while the goalie was out of his crease (usually when he’s on his way to the bench for a 6th attacker). Are these all blown calls or am I incorrect about this rule?

• Michael says:

The goalie doesn’t have to be in his crease, he just can’t feign an attempt to play the puck or change his mind while motioning like he’s preparing to play the puck. If he’s out of the crease before the icing occurs, he is allowed to retreat to the crease without nullifying the icing.

Check 81.3 http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26494

• Duracell3 says:

Which is somewhat different than IIHF rules where:

d) No Icing shall be called when:

6. Once the goalkeeper leaves his goal crease or when the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease during icing situation and moves in the direction of the puck

26. Stormin says:

Anderson makes a glove save on Callahan break away drops it out of his glove to his defense man and Cole says did Anderson get a piece of that or did it go high , Bob Cole time to retire but you are too funny

27. TomNickle says:

I think for the late game tonight I’ll go out to a sports bar. Maybe I’ll go out to the parking lot and if a drunk decides to put his hand in my face I’ll come back the next night with a friend of mine who’s served some time in prison.

Maybe my friend walk along side the gentleman who put his hand in my face the prior night, put his arm around his shoulder and then punch him twice in the face after getting a good grip on the other side of his head. For good measure, since you know, he put his hand in my face the prior night, maybe my friend will then jump on this guy and punch him repeatedly until enough bystanders can restrain my friend.

Sounds like justice to me.

• Ali says:

did your friend challenge him to a fight first and did the bully decline?

• TomNickle says:

THANK YOU. That’s the exact reply that I was looking for.

Now tell me. In what way does that matter? Had my friend told the gentleman that he was there to fight him and the man said no, does that make it okay for my friend to pummel him?

• Ali says:

in real life fights rarely happen like that. They usually are chaotic, and nobody asks permission.

• TomNickle says:

Exactly. They don’t happen like that too often, because that would be a mugging.

• Ali says:

bar fight does not equal mugging. I’ve been mugged, and i’ve been in fights. two different things. there are sometimes unwilling participants in fights, but there is always an unwilling participant in a mugging.

• TomNickle says:

And Boyle was an unwilling participant.

I’ve been in fights and in hockey fights. What exactly does that say? That I was a willing combatant. Brian Boyle wasn’t in a hockey fight Saturday night, he wasn’t even given an opportunity to fight back.

He was suckerpunched, twice, and then punched some more while he lay motionless on the ice.

And that’s a hockey fight?

Get real.

• Stormin says:

BOO HOO let me know what bar panzies like you go too

Boyle turtled

• Ali says:

i was walking down the street and had some real baggy pants on and some guy shot a rubber disc at me with a stick he was holding. What a dick! You can’t analogize sports to real life. There are referees and linesman and teammates, not some dark alley outside a bar.

• TomNickle says:

There are real lives at stake.

• Ali says:

This wasn’t bertuzzi. I think what Asham did was more dangerous than Carkner.

• TomNickle says:

And I’m sure you would feel no differently if you replace the name Boyle with Subban.

• Ali says:

I think alot of people here would feel differently if Lucic had that done to him by Laraque as well.

I wouldn’t have Ali.

I haven’t seen a lot of people weigh in on this topic, but the people I’ve discussed it with haven’t had a problem with Carkner’s actions and I couldn’t be more disgusted.

This is essentially justifying what Chara did to Pacioretty and what Bertuzzi did to Moore.

• ZepFan2 says:

@ Tom Nickle

Don’t you mean replace the name Karlsson with Subban?

If Boyle doesn’t want what happened to him to happen again, don’t do a Marchand on Karlsson.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Stormin says:

@zep Exactly, if you are going to go after a teams star in game 1 of a playoff series , you have to expect you are going to have to answer to that in the future of the series. Boyle did not rise up too high on the stand up guy meter, for attacking Karlson and then for turtling when he should have answered for his behavior. In hockey we call this a rat a guy that stirs the pot and then refuses to fight or worse turtles @ Tom Nickle

28. Mavid says:

Galley can hardly believe it…I think he may cry soon…

29. Ali says:

if i ever got the chance to interview Campbell i’d always close with “would you like to say hi to your dad…er..parents?”

30. Mavid says:

@tomnickle so true just go to a leaf/hab game…

31. JohnBellyful says:

Cherry was his usual egregious self tonight, this time attacking people who dare suggest the vicious kind of hockey being played these days is an alarming development.
    Au contraire, he said – yeah, that one caught be by surprise, too – the NHL is no different from what it’s always been: ruthless.
    As proof he showed a couple of clips, a brawl between the Canadiens and the Nordiques, and a fight between Pierre Bouchard and Stan Johnathan.
    It’s only reporters and dilettantes who have no regard for the exalted place violence has in hockey.
    I was prepared to dismiss Cherry once again for being a neanderthal and making selective use of non-contextual historical data to support maintaining the status quo, which is a couple of steps removed from anarchy.
    But then I went to the archives as well and found out the addled coach knew whereof he spoke: the NHL has ALWAYS been this way! Check it out:

1933 – Eddie Shore decapitates Leaf rookie Darwin Kopeckny in the Bruins’ season opener “to send a message.” It’s the first documented head shot in NHL history. Shore is fined $500 – a hefty sum at the time – and ordered to pay half of Kopeckny’s funeral expenses.
    1937 – Hulking five-foot-nine forward Rooster Thigpen of the New York Americans slices open Detroit Red Wing netminder Wesley Turnbull’s jugular vein during a goalmouth scramble. Photos taken by UPI photographer Rip Dinsmore show Thigpen removed his right skate and drew it across Turnbull’s exposed throat. He received a two-minute penalty for goaltender interference.
    It would be another 50-plus years before goalies make neckguards part of their gear, and another 60 years before the NHL bans the removal of skates for the purposes of committing an assault.
    1943 – The famed Klu Klux Klan line – Reggie Klu, Bobby Klux, and Billy Klan – run roughshod over a league that’s missing many of its notorious enforcers who have been dropped behind enemy lines to wreak havoc. (Unfortunately, they are dropped so far behind enemy lines that relations between the Allies and India begin to fray). In the meantime, the Klu Klux Klan line – who were known as the Klan-Klu-Klux line the first two years they played together until a sports editor bungled a headline – commit mayhem at will. The crippling manner of their forechecking leads to the introduction of the jockstrap, although there is some resistance at first among players who fear their manhood will be called into question (a question that invariably is rendered moot by the third period when playing unprotected against K, K, and K).
    1972 – Bobby Clarke slashes Valeri Kharlamov’s ankle in the Summit Series, setting in motion the fall of the Soviet Union and the influx of lazy Russians who displace Canadians from the rosters of NHL teams.

There’s more but right now I’m writing a letter of apology to Mr. Cherry for doubting his knowledge of the game and its history.
    When will this unenlightened hockey fan learn, I ask myself.

— “A little song, a little dance, a little history for the fanz.” –

32. smiler2729 says:

Henrik Lundqvist must have a dozen horseshoes stuck up his arse tonight.

_______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
    The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

33. Mavid says:

I guess some of the fans did not get the memo stating that the Gladiator is dumb..now they have some kind of superhero thingy wandering around the place..

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah, he’s Robo-douche
      _______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

34. Mavid says:

I was at a complete loss as to why Laich got a penalty..then I remembered they are playing the Bruins..and it all made sense…I have never cheered for washington any harder that I do right now…

35. Mavid says:

they interviewed Eugene just before the game, I thought for a moment that he was sober..then he claimed Ottawa is Canada’s team, and those of us who had not jumped on the bandwagon needed to get on..then I knew he was in fact drunk again..

36. TomNickle says:

Brian Boyle scoring what will almost surely be the winning goal in this game is evidence of karma.

• Stormin says:

Tom i am not a Ranger or Senator fan but did you not see Boyle’s multiple punches to Karlson face in Game 1 with Karlson doing nothing in return or to deserve the greeting

• TomNickle says:

Read below. I’ve watched what Boyle did twice now. It deserved a two minute roughing penalty. He didn’t drop the gloves, didn’t put anything resembling significant force into a single punch. It was a move to agitate.

• Bill says:

Chuck was nostalgic about the Sens Gladiator, and you are Gnostical about their Karma. I agree with both of you.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Stormin says:

enough said I guess Tom your one of those rat players who thinks he can bop you in the head with no repercussions

• TomNickle says:

Nice reply. I think that hiding dropping your glove and suckerpunching a guy twice while clinched with him and then jumping on him and continuing to hit him while he’s down and out is gutless.

That makes me a rat does it?

Jesus some people on this site are clueless.

37. TomNickle says:

Zenon Konopka is one of the worst players I’ve seen in the NHL.

38. Mavid says:

I could never cheer for ottawa, their fans are just too stoooopid

39. Mavid says:

glad to see I am not the only one that finds this game a tad boring..at one point in the first they were cheering “leafs suck” perhaps the white and blue uniforms of the rangers have them confused..and they think they are playing the leafs..does anyone else see that the crowd cheers and you have no idea why…

40. Stormin says:

Finally they mention that spectacular save Anderson Made, instead of just talking about the review or if Spezza put his hand on the puck in the crease

41. The Jackal says:

Anyone cheering for Ottawa? I kind of am as it seems Vancouver will be eliminated and it seems wrong to have no Canadian teams after the first round… Would be nice for Bettman’s goal of selling the game in the states too so I want a Canadian team to ruin his dreams.

• TomNickle says:

Not after Carkner’s parade Saturday.

Was just a response to Boyle doing the same think to Karlson in game 1

• TomNickle says:

What damn world do you live in when a glorified facewash is equal to sucker punching a guy twice while hiding dropping the glove on the right hand, then jumping on him and hitting him four more times while he’s laying on the ice?

I’m sorry, but this tit for tat argument in these circumstances is as idiotic as I’ve ever seen on this site.

That WAS NOT an eye for an eye, it was not justice, not tough and not called for. It was the single most disgusting thing I’ve seen in hockey since Bertuzzi/Moore and I’ve watched a lot of Milan Lucic.

• Stormin says:

enough said your one of those rat players who thinks he can bop you in the head with no repercussions

• Stormin says:

Ottawa yes hoping for them to do well, dont really cheer for anyone but the Habs though. Kind of like watching the Flyers they seem to be a real tight team, and no more Richards who i could not stand nor could his team mates in Philly

42. Stormin says:

Lucic attempts to slew foot Laich while fighting for position during faceoff, then throws Laich to the ice and the ref gives them both a penalty

43. Clay says:

Anderson demonstrating some fine goal-tending here.

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Stormin says:

That was a great save he made on the play that went upstairs for a review. the announcers did not even mention the fact that he made a great kick save before the puck almost found its way into the net

• Clay says:

Yeah – that’s the save that led me to post that :) Really great save.

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

44. Mark C says:

Didn’t like some of the calls in the Caps/B’s game then I saw who is one of the refs. All is explained.

Ok, this Ottawa game is boring.

Caps are up by a goal. GO CAPS!!!! Please please please knock out the Bruins. Plee-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-essssaaaa!!!

47. ProHabs says:

Wow, this years playoffs is all thanks to COlin Campbell, Shanny and the Bruins winning the cup last year. Hockey is now 10% skill and 90% goon show. I am just glad that no one I really care about is playing in the NHL and getting his brain turned into mush.

Ottawa, Spezza, boring!!!

49. FanCritic says:

Someone mentioned bringing back Vigneault from Vancouver – if he can’t get it done with the talent he has in Vancouver just imagine him in Montreal….

• Bill says:

Without top goal-scorer Sedin (concussion) and depth scorer Hodgson (traded for truculent Kassian), I don’t know that Vancouver is much more talented than any other team. Only had three 20 goal scorers this year and one 30 goal scorer … even the Habs had two! Yet somehow they were the second-highest scoring team in the NHL this year. Good coaching?

And defensively, they were one of four teams this to allow fewer than 200 goals against. Good coaching?

Vigneault ran a high-powered offence without huge individual performances, and simultaneously had one of the top D systems in the league. Sounds good to me.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Apparently once a team reaches “elite” status the only factor in evaluation is playoff success. Injuries, opposition, compete level etc. do not mean a thing.

• HabFanSince72 says:

As I mentioned before he won his division 5 years out of 6 and the league two years running. He went to game 7 of the finals last year and lost to the league’s favourite team.

And I agree this is a solid team but not stacked like Pittsburgh or Chicago were when they won the cup.

The evidence is that he is a very good coach.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

The only thing that concerns me about him is that he at the very least condones and often times gets in on the whining and complaining act that is very familiar in Vancouver now.

I don’t know if that’s him, Gillis or ownership but somebody is leading that crying train. I’m leaning toward Gillis because I didn’t really notice it so blatantly until his arrival.

Assuming it is Gillis, Vigneault has to get his players away from that kind of consistent complaining if for no other reason than the kind of hockey that’s played this time of year.

On another note, he isn’t exactly without great personnel Bill.

Sedins, Kesler, Booth, Burrows, Hansen, Raymond, Hodgson(gone I know), Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Salo and then Luongo and Schneider.

He’s had a hand in developing those players but it’s also widely been reported that he and Hodgson weren’t getting along. Keith Ballard was an elite defenseman before getting to Vancouver(with the Panthers of all teams) and he couldn’t make things work with Grabner who is now a top six forward.

Every coach makes mistakes but I don’t know that I’d call him an elite coach.

As for hiring him to coach the Habs. I’d be warm to the idea if I knew for a fact that he understood this habit of complaining has held his current team back and that history can’t repeat itself with that scenario in his new destination.

• FanCritic says:

Bill – I guess it boils down to Goaltending and Quick is the difference right now – still don’t want Vigneault….

• Marc10 says:

As always Bill, good post. I’d nuance that a bit…

1) Vancouver has upper crust talent in the Sedins, the odd D and Kesler (for a second line center he’s up there…)
        2) They are balanced – all NHL level and deep bench
        3) They are big and strong so they have fewer injuries to their elite core

That said, their special teams are well staffed and well coached.

I like Vigneault. He’s a good coach, he’s experienced and he seldom gets outcoached. His problem is he doesn’t have a big time goalie and his two superstars are softer than Cottonelle! You can’t run from that…

50. zorro says:

No class Don Cherry showing Stan Jonathan bashing Pierre Bouchards head and driving it into the ice, on coach’s corner.

• piper says:

It’s Dons only highlite of his coaching career. Big Pierre was as tough as they come in that era. All the tough guys loose a big one near the end of their career.

51. Chuck says:

Call me nostalgic, but I was hoping that the Sens
    would have trotted out their Spartan again,
    ___________________________________________________

52. Strummer says:

Let’s hear it for the Nashville Hab-Pred- itants!

hip hip SK!!
    hip hip AK!!!!
    hip hip Frankie Cube!!
    hiphip Skillsie!!!

“It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

53. slapshot777 says:

Why in the hell are we always talking about trading Price. We have a good to possibly great goalie. Where as other teams on the lower rungs don’t have that.

While teams like Toronto are further behind then Montreal mainly because of goaltending. With a good GM and a good coach we can pick up a few pieces and can turn this team around.

Without all the injuries that occurred this season this teammate worst was stills playoff team. A meaner stay at home defensemen like a Cory Sarich and a couple of players who can get you 15-20 goals with a little size and we can weather a year or two until our prospects gain experience and our team will be a force to be reckoned with.

54. hab_skill says:

Trade Price to Columbus for Rick Nash. Then trade down to about the 9th spot and draft Malcolm Subban. We could get a lot in return by trading down. Just some fun thoughts… Don’t take it too seriously.

• nickster13 says:

No thanks.. Nash is a perennial loser and is on the downswing of his career.
      I do appreciate the dialogue creation however!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

55. VancouverHab says:

He’s from Montreal and he’s perfectly bilingual.

He’s the elite choice, imho.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

The Habs finished last for the first time since 1940. The Oilers deliberately put out a non-competitive team and were once again rewarded with the number one pick. The Canucks and Pens could get swept in round one.

Yet the most embarrassing performance of the 2011-2012 NHL season is without a doubt Brendan Shanahan’s.

Where his predecessor was merely corrupt, Shanahan is completely clueless.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

57. Mavid says:

asking Sid that question in the first place was stupid..lots of players have moved gloves, sticks or whatever out of reach and nobody asks them what they were doing..I thought it was funny…all he missed saying was “DUH”
    haters are gonna hate, if he doesn’t fight he is a weiny, if he fights he is a loser…if they scrutinized other players the way he is I bet you would see the same thing…so much pressure at such a young age, and I think he handles it really well…he is always sitting in his stall..really? wow..how lame…..speaking of lame..you can still get tickets to the Sen/Ranger games..sad..

58. slimjim111 says:

Crosby should stop whining and grow a pair.

Or someone should put us out of our misery and deal with him.

59. H.Upmann says:

This has little to do with actual hockey, but I think I might be the only one who gets annoyed with Crosby always doing his interviews SITTING in his stall, and never standing. Shouldn’t matter, but it’s just a little annoying thing LOL…

60. FanCritic says:

Pittsburgh is losing because right now Philly is better up front, better on “D” probably about even in goal. I picked Pittsburgh to win the cup, that looks like it’s out the window….

• smiler2729 says:

Amazing that one blown offside (Briere’s goal) in Game 1 could end up derailing arguably the best team in the playoffs…

It’s way more than bad goaltending, it’s a Crosby-Malkin thing, the team loses its identity when both are playing.

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

• The Jackal says:

Well they won with both in the lineup so I don’t know if that’s true, it’s their D and the fact they are letting the Flyers get in their heads.

• Clay says:

You’re right. They should unload Malkin to the Habs, to alleviate the imbalance.
        (For Weber and a second!) :D

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Ton says:

i have not followed them closely……..is this a sudden thing or did they show signs of weakness on d???? lots of cracks thats for sure…..no way that is fixed as quickly as it needs to be

61. The Dude says:

When Halak was our best player he got traded….thus good-bye Cole!

62. smiler2729 says:

Did Sidney Crosby sound like a petulant kid after yesterday’s game or what?

When asked about Voracek, “cuz I don’t like him, I don’t like any of them”.

C’mon Sid, dude, you’re laming out…

_______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
    The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

• D Mex says:

Yes, he did. Maybe Milbury was on to something …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Shane1313 says:

I think he’s tired and frustrated.
        Caught him at a bad time too.

• D Mex says:

Cole appeared tired and frustrated lots this season, and his team had a few bad moments of their own, but he managed to stand on his feet in front of the cameras and conduct himself like a pro.

Too bad the poster boy doesn’t see fit to do the same …

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• Clay says:

But the hockey ‘intelligentsia’ isn’t continuously going out of their way to shit on Cole like they are with Crosby. Combine that with the playoff meltdown, and I’d like to see how you’d react in his place.

__________________________
            ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Max says:

Yup,I agree. He sounded like a spoiled,snot faced 12 year old. Even his facial expressions seemed so immature and childish. It wasn’t pretty.

• The Jackal says:

That’s too bad Sid has that attitude. Any of you guys seen 24/7? It is displayed there too. He is a great player but he acts very entitled, as if he should get special treatment (which he does anyway).

• Max says:

I guess that’s what happens when you’re told starting at age 5 that you’re the best and actually probably are the best.Especially in a hockey mad country like Canada. This guy has felt entitled from the time he was able to wipe his own arse.

I wonder if Senators will have their gladiator at the game tonight.

64. Kooch7800 says:

@boing007, I am quite familiar with teamwork thanks. I take it you are not if you think the goalie is the issue with this hockey team….

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

65. 69HABS says:

“Halak was our true #1 goalie” – Yeah right!

Lets see what Halak “Can’t play 5 games in a row without stinkin up the joint” would do in Montreal this season!

This is the best worst season in NHL history. HIO is the most competent inept site on the Internet. I am the softest HardHabits at HIO. The Habs were the unluckiest lucky team last season. Price is the best worst #1 in the league. Halak is the worst best #1 in the league. My farts are the sweetest smelling stinky ones in the world.

EOTP prints some the of the smartest idiotic articles in the blogosphere.

67. since1988 says:

REPORT: WILD GRANT PERMISSION TO HABS TO TALK TO MACKASEY http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393366

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    – Mathieu Darche

• smiler2729 says:

I think he’d be the man if the Habs don’t go for the sexy pick as GM and hire what they need.

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

• boonie says:

Impecible credentials, but if we’re going to promote a scout/player development type to GM, wouldn’t Timmons deserve some consideration? Does he speak French?

68. Trisomy 21 says:

Carkner went about this the wrong way, what he should have done was just bashed Boyle’s face into the glass. Message sent and it’s a hockey play.

69. Castor says:

Blame the goaltender: The dummies guide to hockey.

Ok Fleury has been bad.

70. otter649 says:

Sens Zenon Konopka fined $2500.00 for trashing talking The Rangers in the warmup with part of the TT done when NBC was trying to conduct a player interview (Boyle ?). The team also fined $10,000.00……..

71. Kooch7800 says:

Ron Hextal…really. That is interesting

From the fourth period.com
    CANADIENS EXPAND GM CANDIDATE LIST
    TheFourthPeriod.com
    The Montreal Canadiens are exploring every possible avenue when it comes to selecting a new General Manager, with several new people popping up as candidates.
    TFP has learned that Detroit Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill is a person the Canadiens would like to interview for their vacant GM post.

The Habs are seeking permission from Detroit to interview Nill, a process that would likely take place after the Red Wings’ playoff season is over.
    Earlier this week, prior to this news breaking, TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta explained why Nill would be a perfect fit for the Canadiens.

However, it’s uncertain if the Red Wings would be willing to grant the Canadiens permission to speak with Nill, a request they’ve denied from other teams in the past.

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday that the Habs have sought out permission to speak with Kings assistant GM Ron Hextall and the team’s President of Business Operations Luc Robitaille.

Kings owner Tim Leiweke told the Times, via email, that he’s had several conversations with the Habs, but like Detroit, nothing is expected to proceed until the Kings’ season is over.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

72. kempie says:

HIO should have a Halakometer that displays how many times the word “Halak” appears in a thread. This one’s getting up there.

• Cal says:

You mentioned the word twice, so start at 3….

• Strummer says:

You could also start a drinking game – take a drink whenever Jaro’s name is mentioned here.

Edit- I misssed the irony in my own post- Halak doesn’t drink!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Chuck says:

Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak Halak… etc.

___________________________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

Molson would probably go for that game strum. :)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t we already have a Konopka drinking game?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

73. pmaraw says:

so… filip forsberg? we need a lw’er and i doubt we get yakupov… as much as i’d hate to pass up on dumba, i think our current d mixed with a few of our prospects looks pretty solid (if we sign that stay at home tough sob). i just cant help but feel like a swede named forsberg is gonna be anything but great. here’s a highlight clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcPlRac–z4

• Kooch7800 says:

We could also trade one of our current D prospects to go after Dumba….

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Habfan10912 says:

Weber? Diaz? …….just kidding. Seriously, with all due respect Kooch, why would we trade a D prospect for an even younger D prospect? If he’s that highly touted we could use the third pick for him, no?

• Kooch7800 says:

Some D prospects are better than others ;) Dumba is a big moblie kid who reminds me of Shea Weber and is just as good of hitter. Beaulieu, Tinordi, Mac Bennett, Nash are all Decent but I don’t think we are as stacked back there as people think we are…..
          Emelin still needs to work on his D. Markov will be gone in two years so we may still have some holes back there.

Emelin-?
          Jorges -PK
          Tinordi-Beaulieu

Yes, though, you are right in the fact that you could just draft him which is not that bad of an idea. I am not overly enthused by the forwards in the top 5

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com