Penguins move into first place with win over Bruins

The Pittsburgh Penguins knocked the Canadiens out of first place in the Eastern Conference with a 2-1 win over the visiting Boston Bruins on Sunday afternoon.

Sidney Crosby, with his 13th goal of the season, and Joe Vitale scored for the Penguins and Tomas Vokoun stopped 31 shots as Pittsburgh won its ninth straight game to improve to 22-8-0 and move two points ahead of the Canadiens (19-5-4). Boston trails the Canadiens by one point with a 19-5-3 record.

Evgeni Malkin missed his fifth straight game for the Penguins with an upper-body injury.

“It seems like it’s always different guys, so that’s what you need in order to have success consistently,” Crosby told reporters after the game. “We’ve been getting that lately. Our depth is a big part of our success. We need to continue to show that.”

The Penguins played the final two periods without defenceman Kris Letang following a collision with the Bruins’ Brad Marchand.

Crosby leads the NHL scoring race with 13-35-48 totals in 30 games and is eight points ahead of teammate Chris Kunitz, who was in second place following Sunday’s game with 18-22-40 totals.

The Canadiens were given the day off Sunday following their 2-1 win over the Devils Saturday night in New Jersey and will return to the ice at 11 a.m. Monday in Brossard as they prepare for Tuesday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Canadiens then travel to Long Island to face the Islanders on Thursday, before the Sabres visit the Bell Centre again on Saturday.

Next week the Canadiens are in Pittsburgh on Tuesday and Boston on Wednesday.

Buckle up the chinstraps.

The Canadiens announced Sunday that they have signed defenceman Darren Dietz to a three-year entry-level contract. The Canadiens selected Dietz in the fifth round (138th overall) of the 2011 NHL entry draft. The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder has 24 goals and 34 assists in 72 games this season with the Saskatoon Blades. He also has 100 penalty minutes and is a plus-9.

(Photo by Vincent Pugliese/ Getty Images

Jarred Tinordi’s hard work pays off with first NHL point, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens vs. Devils photo gallery

A St. Patrick’s Day hangover for Montreal sports fans, by Jack Todd

Penguins top Bruins 2-1 for ninth straight win, by The Associated Press

Crosby or Stamkos? by Stu Cowan

Some interesting facts about Sidney Crosby, by Stu Cowan

1. jols101 says:

What do people think about Chris Stewart from St.Louis. He is available apparently. St.Louis asking for a top 4 dman in return.

He is a RFA next year, so we could re-sign him as well. He is playing lights out this year knowing a big contract will be the result though. I wonder what he will ask for next year as a RFA?

2. Old Bald Bird says:

New thread. I still don’t know why the HIO staff can’t/won’t tell us.

Ok, time for new article?

4. habs001 says:

28 games worth of result are significant in a 48 game season but if the season is 82 games not so much…More important than adding more players for the playoffs is the fixing of the pk and maintaining the pp…..More likely than not most of the playoff games the Habs will play will be close games in the third and the chances are the pp will drop a bit but if the pk is like the 19th rank that is today that could have a significant impact on a series….

5. mark_ID says:

Why is it that Rielly is being called up to the Marlies right now, and yet Galchenyuk next year would still be stuck in the OHL if not with the Habs?

I thought the player had to be 20 in order to play AHL……Rielly is still 19 at the moment. Chucky is a month older then him also.

“I think I may have found a way to get us Bonds and Griffey, and we really wouldn’t give up that much” – Costanza

• habs001 says:

Noticed Hab fans on other sites dishing Rielly compared to Dietz but i believe Rielly played fewer games and on a much weaker team…………For posters who follow junior more how close are the 2 d in talent and skill?..draft wise big difference

6. Sportfan says:

Look at the standings out west! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/
    Chicago and Anaheim are far from the rest of the pack while everything else seems up for grabs and look at Winnipeg!!

• Phil C says:

That hurts the rental market for buyers. Nobody will want to sell if they are still in it. Even if they have no chance, it is tough for your fan base to accept throwing in the towel.

• B says:

Chicago has more than twice as many points as Colorado. Then again, Montreal has more than twice as many points as Florida (and a game in hand).

–Go Habs Go!–

• B says:

Good story, thanks for the link. Looking forward to watching Saskatoon in the Memorial Cup.

“He recorded nine goals and 24 points with a plus-28 rating as the Blades went on a franchise-record 18-game winning streak from Jan. 27 to March 1.”

–Go Habs Go!–

7. LizardKing12 says:

A lot of people seem reluctant to trade away picks and prospects at the deadline to stock up for a playoff run. The reason being that they don’t want to jeopardize future success. However, we have such an abundance of picks and prospects that within the next few years we won’t have enough space for them! Prospects need ice time to develop and there just might not be enough to go around.

Here’s a quick list of Habs prospects (not counting Chucky/Gally) by position:

Center: Leblanc, Dumont, Bournival, Nattinen, Fortier, Vail, Pribyl, Walsh
    LW: Archambault, Hudon, Bozon, MacMillen
    RW: Qualier, Avitsn, Holland, Kristo, Collberg, Nystrom,
    D: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Nygren, Bennett, Didier, Stesjkal, Sullivan

All these guys are at some point going to be fighting for ice-time in Hamilton and some of these guys are going to be forced to play out of position or outside the top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen. Also consider the fact that we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and they will also be joining the dogs in 2 years. There just aren’t enough spots available for all these guys to get the ice time needed to develop into NHL caliber players.

Furthermore, there isn’t exactly an abundance of spots on the Habs for these players to graduate to. Pleks, DD, Eller and Galchenyuk will all be with the team for years to come and have the center position locked down for the top 9. On defense PK, Gorges, Emelin and Diaz all look to be here long term. As far as top 6 wingers go Patches, Bourque and Gallagher are all going to be here long term.

So when we are looking at possible spots open on the Habs roster there is one top 6 winger role, 2 dman spots and no center openings. There are a few spots open in the bottom 6 but Moen and Prust are here long term and I wouldn’t be surprised to see White extended for 2-3 years. Archambault, Hudon, Bozon, Holland, Kristo, Collberg, Leblanc, Dumont, Bournival and Vail will all be fighting for top 6 spots in Hamilton and 1 available top 6 opening in the NHL. Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Pateryn, Dietz, Nygren and Thrower are all expected to be NHLers and they will all be fighting for 2 spots.

The way I see it a lot of these prospects are becoming redundant, especially since we are drafting 6 players in the top 3 rounds this year. We are better off packaging some picks and prospects to bolster the team for a potential cup run than to let them waste away. IMO Tinordi, Beaulieu, Hudon, Bozon, Kristo and Collberg are the most likely to crack the Habs roster in coming years. Everyone else is expendable if it means having a legitimate shot at the cup. I’m not suggesting we trade all of them but parting with 1-2 draft picks and 2 maybe 3 prospects is by no means going to leave the cupboards bare.

• Loonie says:

I echo myself enough that I probably shouldn’t give you hell for doing it eh?

• LizardKing12 says:

I’m not quite sure what you mean by that. I’ve just been reading a lot of posts about wanting Bergevin to stand pat and I think that would be a bad move. Opportunities to compete for the cup don’t come along every year. Right now the only teams I see challenging us in the east are the Bruins and Pens, I see no reason why we can’t get passed them unless they improve big time at the deadline and we stand pat. We have a log jam of prospects right now and IMO there just won’t be enough spots for these guys to develop properly, why not ship out a few of the mid level prospects for a player that could potentially help bring the cup back to Montreal!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree about Bruins and Pens being the chief challenges. But if the Sens continue to punch above their weight, wouldn’t they be someone to take seriously as well?

8. Lafleurguy says:

Of the current GMs, who has been the least successful?

9. Habilis says:

Question:

Once Sarnia is done for the season, does Galchenyuk then become eligible to be sent down to Hamilton?

I’m not asking because I think the kid should go anywhere, I’m just curious about the rules.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tyler Myers is an interesting topic. His rookie year he gets 48 points, plus 13 and plays all 82 games. Second season, he avoids the sophomore slump somewhat and produces 37 points and finishes the season even while playing 80 games.

He then gets injuries and has a decent output of 26 points in 55 games while finishing plus 5.

He is still filling out physically and has some talents, but has been egregiously overpaid and overpaid early also. His contract of 7 years 38.5million pays him 12 million in the is the first year with 10 million being a bonus. His contractual payout becomes reasonable at the middle point of his contract while his cap hit remains 5.5million throughout.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually turns his career back around and plays good hockey. I wonder if Buffalo dares risking moving him, if I was Buffalo I think they have to hang on to him, too much potential. If they do trade him, someone could end up getting a pretty good defenceman for a long time.

• Lafleurguy says:

I would guess this contract irks the Sabre vets more than Erhoff, Leino and Co.

“May you live in interesting times.”

All the more reason I give MB a ton of credit for the contract he signed PK to. And when PK hits the motherload with his next contract, no vets in the room can bitch or moan.

• ed says:

for years Buffalo has been laughed at for NOT paying their players, for not playing in the Big leagues’ salary game.

that is what I heard from people who supported the Sabres.

now they sign Vanek and Myers (and others) and they are criticized for paying too much or signing players too early.

Gerald, I would have signed both Vanek and Myers – I think both are terrific impact players.

And yes, I argued to sign Subban as well.

I had no problem based on what Subban had done since the 2010 playoffs to reward him at 4.5 million for 2 years. No problem whatsoever.

And I stand by that position.

C’mon people. Where are the line combos? Where are the line combos after the NHL13 trades?

Pfft!!!

My work is done here. Now that we’ve accepted the occasional Tank™ the Habs are no longer hands tied behind their back trying to make 8th place while betting the farm to boot.

Do the Habs need to make a last minute deadline rental trade? I do not think so. Not in the least. Do the Habs need to make tweaks to improve the club moving forward? Yes indeed.

The only moves that should be made by this year’s deadline should satisfy the latter condition otherwise forget about it happening.

While I can’t believe I am going to say this, I will. Heard Marty McSorley this morning talking about the Sabres and I actually think he may have been on to something. He mentioned that he had heard that when Pegula/Regier started writing blank cheques to all the UFA a season ago, that it created some jealousy amongst the players in the room. Specifically to some players whom had been with Buffalo for years, and perhaps had sacrificed bigger dollars to help the team per se.

I bring this up in regards to how MB is essentially I think trying to ensure not overpaying anybody, and when someone does get the “big” contrat, that everyone on the team will buy into that player being deserving of it.

Hockey is more than a collection of a talent, it is about a group/team who are cohesive and everyone buys into the team/system.

• Sportfan says:

That is a really good point and to be honest that is how most of the GM and owners should be dealing with players

• Loonie says:

Goes back to Lidstrom and the Wings and how I think(could be wrong) that Bergevin is setting up a similar pay structure with Price at the top of the scale.

While Price did have the pedigree and earned a lot of rope at a young age he had to deal with the biggest controversy this team has seen in years and was under the most pressure any Hab’s been under in recent memory.

With nobody else able to compete with Price for his role on the team and no comparable player at his position within the organization Bergevin can in my view justify not paying anybody a higher AAV than Price while he’s on his current contract.

At the time when Price is up for renegotiation Bergevin can again ensure that nobody on the team makes more money than Price and adjust his salary based on cap inflation.

I believe very strongly that as long as Price is a Hab, no other Hab will make more money.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ah yes, let’s call that the Vince Ferragamo Effect.

13. Old Bald Bird says:

All of the trade talk is fine, but it’s still a crap shoot. Trades guarantee nothing. If it is to be done, it must be done with wisdom and forethought, for this is not the time to go for broke IMO, like the Preds more or less did last year. I also think that better trades might be available in the summer due to the falling cap. I don’t think too many teams will be willing to part with key players this year because the cap is going down next year — unless they are already out of the running of course.

• Loonie says:

Trades for NHL players guarantee a heck of a lot more than banking on prospects and draft picks do.

Philosophy.

1. Don’t trade your blue chip picks or prospects.
      2. Everything else is available at all times.

I could give two licks about what kind of player Pateryn or Vail will become. These are the reasons I don’t care……

Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Eller, Bournival, Subban, Diaz, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Dietz.

If I can put together a package like(hypothetically) Pateryn, Ellis and a 2nd or 3rd for Ryan Malone you bet your behind I’m making that deal as Habs’ GM.

I’m not doing a deal like that every week, month or year. But I’d jump at the chance to make a deal like that with a deep pool of prospects.

• New says:

When you’re winning everybody looks good to fans and hopefully other GM’s. For instance the time to trade say, Theodore, is when the team wins (May 2002) not when his failings come to light. Then you get a kid named Rick Nash who may turn into something or not.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I wouldn’t disagree with this at all, but I think different people have different things in mind when discussing trades, whether they involve rentals or not. So it is good to define the parameters as you have just done.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Loonie, love the idea of Ryan Malone on the team, he’s a piece that completes the puzzle, brings some attributes and skills we need.

One problem is he has two more years after this one on his contract, at $4.5M each, which is essentially the same as Erik Cole’s contract. Ryan Malone is a year younger, and his game will resist aging more than Erik’s, but I wonder if Mr. Bergevin wants to take on that contract.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Trades guarantee nothing”…especially when it comes to high priced rentals. Unless you are trading a rental, I don’t believe in trading at the deadline for a major piece because the market values are artificially high.

BTW if you have to go broke at the deadline, you have not done your job as an organization and your team is probably not good enough to win it all. Nashville should have addressed its scoring issues in the summer not at the deadline.

• Loonie says:

That’s really only a half truth. You’re really generalizing rentals as a uniform group of futility.

Last year Andrei Kostitsyn scored 16 points in 26 games for the Predators after getting him from the Habs.

Sergei Samsonov had 14 points in 20 games for the Panthers as a rental two years ago.

Chris Campoli had 7 in 19 games for the Blackhawks the same year.

7 in 14 for Dennis Wideman for the Caps.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

True rentals do produce in some cases but they should be acquired as tweeks not major additions to a roster. Nashville should have addressed their scoring issues before the season started. If Ryan Suter did not want to sign in the summer, he should have been dealt for scoring. They gambled when the odds were against them and they lost. Did anyone really believe Andrei K., Gaustad, Radulov and Hall Gill were going to help Nashville win the Cup? Two second round picks and one first rounder down the drain…

• Loonie says:

The Gaustad move was awful in my opinion but that franchise has been good and not great for some time.

They obviously believed that with Suter moving on their window was closing. They made some moves in win now mode.

You may find it stupid but they tried to do right by their fans who haven’t experienced a championship.

Every case is different.

14. Mr. Biter says:

Actually going to be down in Minneapolis from Wed. to Sunday for work and the” Frozen 5″ is on. Can’t go to the 1st UND game on Thursday, but if they win they play U of Minn at 7:05 on Friday night and tickets would be impossible to get. If they win that one tickets will be cheap for Saturday’s final as the Gopher fans will be dumping their tickets.
    So If Boone and Hickey could swing the Gazette to get me a press pass for the 2 games (probably unlikely after the “RiverDance” post) I could do a Boone like report for the UND games at the Frozen Five.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

You have my blessing, will you be doing a live blog? Hope you can score tickets, and make sure you verify with Kristo that he is to sign a contract with Habs soon after his season. Thanks for taking of this for us Ron!

• Mr. Biter says:

If I get tickets or a ‘Press Pass” a live blog would definatly be in order. Actually with a Press Pass the Live Blog would be from my laptop not the accursed smart phone. I might also have some access to Kristo and would ask him about his future plans. Thanks HIB.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re slipping HiB. What you should have said is that Biter should go up to Kristo during a fan session or other opportunity, and have him sign an autograph. On a standard player contract.

Done.

10. Anaheim
      11. Dallas
      12. Calgary
      13. Edmonton
      14. Colorado
      15. Columbus

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Juice says:

That is last week’s ranking…new one comes out today…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

16. habfan53 says:

After 28 games can we now say that maybe Gainey and Gauthier were not all that bad.
    Yes they both had issues, Bob I felt was never the same after the loss of his daughter and Gauthier had the personnality of a rabid dog. But to give them proper credit ALL of the current players with the exception of Prust, Armstong, Ryder and Bouillon were drafted or traded for by them .
    Were there mistakes along the way? YES !!!
    The Gomez trade being the big mistake. I really did not have a big problem with bringing in Kaberle he was traded for to give an extra punch to the PP and he has done that.
    This year with the emergence of Emelin and Diaz, Kaberle was a luxury and now with Tinordi redundant . Don’t forget that Gainey traded player favorite Craig Rivet for Josh Gorges that trade worked out well.
    ALL of the new players this year; Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pateryn, Tinordi and Dumont were acquired by both Gainey and Gauthier.

Marc Bergevin has done a GREAT job since coming on board last year. He has brought Geoff Molson back in favor, how many were willing to hang him ( Geoff) in effigy last November through April.
    Marc made an excellent choice in bringing back a more experienced Michel Therrien. Again most contributors here disagreed with that move.
    Neither Gainey nor Gauthier will claim like Brian Burke did with the Leafs that this is their team but they did have a lot to do with its success

• commandant says:

Galchenyuk was not acquired by Gauthier. He was drafted after the firing.

That said, overall, Gauthier’s hockey moves were more good than bad (Eller, Cole, Diaz, Emelin, Bourque, and others).

However the biggest problem was that Gauthier didn’t know how to manage. He made mistakes in the HR component of the team, in pissing off players, media, coaches and fans, and creating a toxic environment that did not lead to a winning atmosphere in the dressing room or on the ice. For that reason, his firing was much deserved.

Trading players mid game, firing coaches an hour before the game, telling the media that hiring Cunneyworth was a mistake, lying about injuries, not talking to the media regularly, not conducting contract negotiations except at specified times, going bare bones on the scouting department and not having directors of player development, and of player personnel. All of it was toxic and needed to be purged.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• B says:

Bergevin was GM when Galchenyuk was drafted.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Kooch7800 says:

Galchenyuk was drafted by MB and Timmons. Gautheir just helped us get that low in the standings to make it happen.

Gainey wasn’t as bad as people made him out to be an the Goat made some good moves as well. I am much more comfortable with the new system of playing as well as the management though than I was under the previous reign.

Gainey’s major blunder was the Gomez acquisition. We lost a stud D man but lets face it in the future that is one position that the habs are sitting pretty well with Depth wise in a couple years.

I am interested to see what the future brings. MB’s trade of Cole is looking like a genius move now and will even further down the road. I wonder what else he has up his sleeve

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• JUST ME says:

I used to think like you and excuse the poor management with as many reasons as there were situations. It is only after Bergevin took over and structured the team of coaches that i realized that Gauthier and Gainey just did not put the tools in place for the team to succeed . For that, they are responsible and must be blamed cause we need to learn from our mistakes.
      I am 100 % sure that if Gauthier was still there the team would do as bad as last year and god knows what player would not be here and what AHLer we would end up with.
      All the players you named were suggested by Timmins and signed by the habs .

I am a die hard Habs fan. Have been for over 40 years and always will be but i am not blind either and do not find much to excuse Gauthier. Gainey is still a man that i respect a lot but i do not know if he is that good with the business side of things . I think he is too good a guy and let`s things go even if he shouldn`t.

• New says:

I think Serge Savard and Geoff Molson deserve credit. They hired the man they thought best suited and then let him do his job. Halfway through half a season:-) it looks a lot better. People are trying to groom players rather than allowing them to find their way. Carbonneau may delight in saying 20 year olds making 1.5 are pros and don’t need babysitters but it reflects a philosophy better suited to a team of 30-38 year olds.

Gainey and Gauthier made a huge mistake that can’t be forgiven. They hired Martin. Then replaced him with a man who thought Martin’s plan worked. That means Gainey and Gauthier thought it worked, making the same mistake twice.

I think when you have a financially successful product you should have a structure that supports it, rather than a head office supported by the product. Then everyone wins. Lots of suits make that mistake. Mr. Molson and M. Savard don’t make mistakes like that with money, just the heart.

• Habilis says:

Most of what you said is true enough. However, Galchenyuk was drafted by Bergevin, not Gauthier. Would the Goat have taken Chucky anyhow? Probably, because he trusted Timmins. Either way though, that was MB’s call.

I will give credit where it is due with regards to Gainey/Gauthier, they did make some decent roster moves. However, I believe that the Habs’ success this season has more to due with the culture change than anything else. Without MB at the top, that simply doesn’t happen.

• Lafleurguy says:

Like a butcher chopping rabbits, I’m going to split hairs. After Columbus picked Ryan Murray, it was a no brainer (calling Feaster) to pick Chucky.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• GuyDoon says:

The Rivet trade got the Habs Gorges and a 1st, that turned in Pacioretty! One of the better trades I’d say.

17. I know lots of reasonable folks will disagree, but even if we have a chance to win it all this year, I’d be really reluctant to deal top prospects for rental players. Obviously it depends on what we give up and what we get back, but I’ve been having a lot of fun watching a really good team this season, and I’m excited about the promising prospects coming down the pipeline to replace the Markovs, Giontas, Bouillons, etc. in the next couple of years. I’d hate to go back to watching mediocrity three times a week — and even if it means a parade in June, being a Habs fan may just be less fun if we end up back in the doldrums of the late 90s. Of course I know the Cup is every team’s ultimate goal — but I’d rather have a carefully grown team that competes every year than clear out the farm for one good shot.

I also feel like, by definition, trading prospects for a star is a losing proposition. Anaheim doesn’t deal a guy like Bobby Ryan unless they’re getting a few guys in return who can all be impact players — if not now, then down the road. Several good impact players > one really good impact player. Therefore if you average all your players’ impacts over time, teams almost always get more for a star than he’s worth — especially in a bidding war at the deadline. It seems much better in the long term to develop your own prospects into stars, and if a cap crunch or a roster logjam forces you to move them, you can then deal your own Bobby Ryans for more players of the future: buy low and sell high. You may not get the instant gratification of a Cup right now, but in hockey as in life, jumping at instant gratification is usually a pretty good way to muck things up.

• Cal says:

I’ll take the Cup win now, thank you.
      We’ve already suffered 20 seasons of crap. Don’t trade for rentals, though. Let the team that brought us to the dance get the chance to win it all.

• The Cat says:

The ‘go for it now’ mentality needs to prevail as opposed to ‘this is a juggernaut in the making’. Im pretty sure the fan in Florida thought his panthers were going to be a force in the future…You just never know.

• I’d love a Cup win too — I just don’t want to mortgage the future to get it. And it’s true that you never know — that’s why I’m cautious about the gamble I guess. As much as next year would suck if we dealt the future to win today, it would suck all the more if we dealt the future and didn’t quite win this year. Even a fantastic team probably only has at most a 15-20% chance of winning the Cup at the outset of the playoffs. Imagine dealing Tinordi, Collberg and a 1st for two months of a Bobby Ryan-level player — and then losing in the 2nd round…

• ont fan says:

And Nashville. What’s in the cupboard? With UFA’s and aging stars that’s one thing, but this is a whole different deal.

• Maksimir says:

I’d take a Cup now… but I don’t think a trade would solidify that with this current line-up. So I’d rather MB be still work on building a stronger core in the next two years, and then make the trade for that player to put the Habs over the top.

18. Lafleurguy says:

The comment below that Larry Robinson may be able to get more out of Tyler Myers got me thinking, “Is there a junior program famous for churning out good defensemen comparable say to Joe Paterno’s past reputation for producing NFL-calibre linebackers?”

Stumbled across this list of alumni defensemen from the Kelowna Rockets:

Alex Edler, Josh Gorges, Duncan Keith, Kyle McLaren, Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Sheldon Souray, Shea Weber. Good program, good recruiting, or both.

“May you live in interesting times.”

19. shiram says:

Rumours are that Ed Jovanovski would announces his retirement today.

20. LeHabfan13 says:

I really don’t think we are ready to win a cup. we’ll probably do a good job. No trades unless it’s a player for the future. Don’t part with any of our young players. Something we’ll regret later on.

Go with what we have. we may surprise a few teams along the way and who knows win it all. LA did.

• Loonie says:

Again. This is a counter intuitive opinion in my view.

The idea is nice in theory.

You can only stockpile so many players at certain positions before you’re doing your prospects more harm than good. Prospects and young players need ice-time to develop.

We can’t have 8 defensemen in Hamilton next year. In two years we can’t have 15 forwards there either.

Some young players will have to move. It doesn’t have to be tomorrow but it will have to happen at some point.

• There’s definitely a point at which it isn’t useful to stockpile more prospects — and I agree that that point is reached when you can’t get them the ice time they need, at the level they need, to develop. I don’t think we’re there yet, though.

On D: next year I wouldn’t be surprised to see our corps look something like: Subban, Diaz, Gorges, Markov, Emelin, Tinordi, with maybe Bouillon as a 7th. That leaves Beaulieu, Pateryn, Nygren, Ellis and Dietz in Hamilton, with possibly Thrower moving up too. That’s 5-6 guys in the AHL: great depth, but not a logjam.

At forward: in Hamilton next year, the only promising forwards are likely to be Holland, Leblanc, Dumont (if he doesn’t move up), and if they’re even eligible, guys like Hudon, Vail, Bozon, Collberg, and possibly Kristo if he doesn’t find his way somewhere else. Again, that’s 8 forwards, and some of these guys likely won’t even be there: great depth, but not too much to hinder development.

• Loonie says:

Stejskal too. And if Bennett leaves school you have to find a place for him.

Dietz, Thrower, Beaulieu, Ellis and Pateryn is a strong possibility. Two of them are going to be playing bottom pairing minutes.

• HabFanSince72 says:

This might be a silly question but couldn’t we just buy a second AHL franchise? Or barring that loan some of our players to another AHL team?

Timmins is so good we need a bigger farm.

• wjc says:

Lehabfan, a correct assumption, they must keep to the course and not get carried away. Still much work to be done, for years of success.

wjc

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Maybe there could be another contract-UFA trade…for example Bourque or Moen. Maybe MB thinks the Habs can live without them and trades him for a good UFA? Jut speculating…

21. Lafleurguy says:

Trading for elite players this close to deadline day is like buying mouthwash after clearing security at the airport. Pricey and can leave you with bad taste in your mouth. If there are delays, what you bought won’t go very far.

A rose of a trade by any other name would smell as sweet. But if the rose gets injured or doesn’t produce then HIO will crap all over it.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Loonie says:

With next year’s cap it won’t just be rentals available.

There are a lot of teams that need to shed salary for next October.

• Lafleurguy says:

Then 2 steps. Would the acquired player be value added to this year’s team? Is the cost reasonable? For example, Jarome Iginla would definitely make the team better. What’s the asking price? If Feaster wants P.K., no deal. Markov?…..we’ll think about it.

“May you live in interesting times.”

22. mark_ID says:

I have a feeling that Price will play both games against Buffalo, while Budaj will get the road game vs. the Islanders.

23. thebonscott says:

Brady Vail to get professional try-out contract with hamilton, they can certainly use the help and brady the experience.

Subbang baby yeah!!!

How is that possible?

I saw the same happened with Morgan Reilly for the Leafs.

• Lafleurguy says:

Almost certainly, you’re going to find out for the rest of us T. Perhaps the CBA gives clubs the option of a PTO or ELC, DYT*?

“May you live in interesting times.”
        *don’tyouthink

• thebonscott says:

that way he gets experience, but it doesnt burn a year of a real contract

Subbang baby yeah!!!

• Loonie says:

I’m asking how teams can do it under the rules.

I was under the impression that he had to be under contract for the Habs to do this.

• thebonscott says:

The PTO (Professional Try Out) contract is a minor league contract of up to 25 games, but can be terminated earlier. I believe players on PTOs would earn at least the AHL minimum salary for the duration of the contract and would be covered by the teams insurance. Since mtl has his rights, he is only able to do this through their ahl affiliate.

Subbang baby yeah!!!

Thanks

• commandant says:

This is how the teams do it under the rules without burning a year of an ELC.

This is only available for CHLers and NCAA guys whose teams have been eliminated.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• B says:

The Dogs have 15 games left this season.

–Go Habs Go!–

Ed – I can’t reply below.

How good is Tavares? Well he certainly has saved Brad Boyes’ career.

Tavares’ line has a combined 74 points. The other 11 Islander forwards have a combined total of 81 points.

25. LeHabfan13 says:

IMO Ottawa is the most dangerous team to play against. They probably have the best coach in the league …. as far as beating them. Your never safe.

Man, is it ever windy here right now in Slowville.

My golden retriever, Faith, is preparing for a possible landing in Oz. I hope they have good internet reception there. And an LCBO store.

As long as we finish ahead of Boston, we will be second seed in the conference.
    I think we will take the Bruins, if we can stay healthy.
    Our kids, including Tinordi now have the confidence and discipline to do battle with the Neanderthals and come out on top.
    We are now reaping some of our very young talent being developed in Hamilton. Next years team is going to be fantastic!

• thebonscott says:

Just beat boston, that is the main goal, whatever it takes.

Subbang baby yeah!!!

• Haberoooo13 says:

Plus Ryder at practice today
      Bourque, Prust and Weber skated with conditioning coach!

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Timo says:

Habs can totally take the Bruins. I am sure Therrien will be able to get his team focused on scoring and pressuring Bruins’ D rather than engage in stupid goon antics. Bruins will lose their shit and come undone.

I hate the Bruins with every fiber in my body.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

As long as the league/refs don’t allow Boston to get away with their usual dirt, then Montreal can dictate the kind of game it is and the rest would unfold as you say.

• wjc says:

Ian, you think that Tinordi has the experience and confidence to take on the Bruins. He has played just one game and is barely 20 or so, he needs a year or so in the NHL to handle that bunch.

Do not underestimate the Bruins, they have it all. The Canadiens are still climbing the hill to that spot. Finishing in the playoffs maybe in the top 4 would be realistic.

Young talent take time, and I am thinking people on here are becoming delustional like typical fans of sport.

wjc

28. thebonscott says:

what does everybody think about finding a way to get tyler myers on the habs??? they could have kabs and weber LOL

Two people who need to walk the plank – Feaster and Regier.

Buffalo might be able to do a quick rebuild but Calgary is dead in the water.

• thebonscott says:

But isn’t calgary just one player away from greatness??? :)

• HabFanSince72 says:

If Calgary don’t have a fire sale they are idiots.

I wonder what Iggy would fetch. There would be a bidding war because not only would Cup contenders want him, they wouldn’t want their rivals to get him.

Recall that the Broons gave up a prospect (former #1 pick Joe Colborne) a first and a second to get him.

Or that Paul Gaustad fetched a #1 pick.

The best trade for Calgary would be to a bubble team that fails to make the playoffs – Toronto or NY Rangers say.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Me Myself and Mike Cammy, Iggy, Jay Bou, matt Stajan, Lee Stempniac, Cory Sarich, and Kipper…

Move them all.

• 24 Cups says:

Here’s an interesting question. Iginla just happens to turn 35 on July 1st this summer. He will be an UFA on that exact day. Will that make his contract a +35 deal? Or will the dates be extended due to the late June Cup final?

• jmsheehy19 says:

“If Calgary don’t have a fire sale they are idiots.”

Said everybody but Feaster for the last 3 years.

30. adamkennelly says:

If MB is not going to go out and get a real Bruiser to protect our young lads and keep Prust from having to fight the monsters – what do you guys think of Matt Martin? Nice and big, young, can fight and put up goals…like Travis Moen from 8 years ago…

31. thebonscott says:

check out this article, i really like boyle, well even more now.

• 24 Cups says:

You have to love Boyle’s size and he is signed for next year.

On the other hand, he’s shoots left and can’t beat out Halpern for a 4th line job on a team that is listing in the water right now.

There’s lots of talk about who the Habs should bring in right now but during the summer I’d like the team to think about moving Moen. If the team ever gets a full line-up, I’d love to have MT sit Moen down for a few games just so he gets the message.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Moen makes too much for what he is bringing.. in years past he was able to fill in on the top lines, now with the Habs added depth, he is nothing more than a 4th liner.

I agree with sitting him.

32. LeHabfan13 says:

… This is how I see this week shaping up for the Habs …

Tue: Buffalo @ Montreal = Win
    Thurs: Montreal @ New York Islanders = Loss in O/T or SO
    Sat: Buffalo @ Montreal = Win

33. ed says:

when we play teams like the Islanders, I would suggest that Subban take on Tavares every time he’s on the ice.;

I like Subban’s skating against Tavares. I like Subban’s compete level against his old friend as well.

• 24 Cups says:

Great point, Ed. The Isles are basically a one line team so why not pit your best against their best.

BTW, I’m assuming that Tavares will be going to the Olympics next year.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Yes! JT, Stamkos, Subban, Price, Giroux will be on the team.

• ed says:

Tavares deserves to be on the Olympic team and Subban is playing his way right on to that team as well.

Subban’s ability to stop, change direction, and then react extremely quickly to someone like Tavares who ‘sneaks” his way into great passing lanes, sets Subban apart from Markov (since Markov is somewhat slowed by the surgeries).

Then, when you add Subban’s great stick work, poke checking and gathering loose pucks, Subban becomes the perfect defender against Tavares like players.

Subban is also stoked, extremely motivated, to shut down his old buddy.

I think we beat the Islanders quite easily once we stop Tavares.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Also, stay out of the box. Maybe sit White and have a word with Eller.

Last game, all Islanders’ goals were PP.

34. All this chat about adding a big forward and we traded away Cole, who was a hero last year. Yes, I get the cap space issue and Ryder, despite being derided (pun intended) has put up plenty of assists here. So why rent one and potentially lose some valuable pieces when we need more pieces to run deep into the playoffs? (stable, shutdown defense, need Diaz back a seasoned Tinordi. Need a consistent Price, yes, he makes me nervous especially when he plays against the Islanders. Must be the mothballs at the Coliseum, a healthy Prust and a return of Bork, Bork, Bork to his pre-concussion form. Where is the depth if these guys are out longer?)

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Loonie says:

Not that I’m advocating getting a rental but the rookies have been a huge part of this team’s success so far.

They’re unlikely to be used often in the playoffs and even if they are it’s likely their scoring dries up.

We’re counting on them a bit too much if our goal is a deep playoff run.

• Yup! Gally11 is going to start nursing his bumps. How many more cross-checks to the ice can he take without taking a convalescent day? As for Chucky, he’s already been tagged and covered, resulting in a dry up of points acceleration. Still has nice moves, but considering other top picks have been returned by other teams (Matteau, Grigorenko back to Quebec) I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s also sent down to preserve him for next year. Not that I would advocate that. Girgorenko wasn’t happy with his 5 minutes a game and Chucky, IMO needs more TOI to mature.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Loonie says:

Galchenyuk isn’t going anywhere.

Sarnia’s done the regular season and isn’t too strong heading into the playoffs. That move would have the potential of him only seeing another seven games or less.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Oldschool, take a look at Galchenyuk this week while thinking of Sean Cotourier. This past week he was playing deeper into games instead of sitting for a more “defensive” minded player.

I saw several occaisions where he clearly looked like a clone of Eller in the second half of a game, focusing on defensive responsibilities and using his speed and skills to break up plays.

He is showing the poise of someone who knows what it will take to play a regular turn in the playoffs, while still having the opportunities for offence when the circumstances present.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Gally27 says:

Hope you are joking. He is up for good. Playing well last few games after a little bit of a wall was hit.

• Rugger says:

The 1986 Habs did quite well with Rookies playing big roles in the play-offs (Roy, Skrudland, Lemieux, McPhee).

• Loonie says:

If memory serves Lemieux was the only one who had a really high impact.

I could see Gallagher being excellent in the playoffs but I don’t think Galchenyuk will. They physicality really picks up in the playoffs, harder to get the puck in space too.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree Oldschool. Bourque is a big part of this team’s potential play off run. The Bourque from this season that is. :)

• We’ll see who comes back after the concussion. Any news on his return? How ’bout Diaz? I read a TSN report that Diaz will be longer and he too wasn’t impressive last year. I remember all of the Swiss cheese comments last year about Weber and Diaz and this year, we are all pleasantly surprised as to who came back from Schweiz.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

35. Say Ash says:

Anybody got a vidcap of Mark Tinordi watching Saturday’s game? My google fu is failing me.

• Habfan10912 says:

He looked very unhappy. Not sure if it was nerves or if the Devil crowd was heckling him. I’ll look for a video.
      As an aside they had a bus load of folks from Quebec City who were wearing Nordiques jersey’s and were very vocal in their rooting interest for the Devils. A bus load of tourist from Quebec City to Newark? Hope they didn’t pay much for the trip. :)

• Sportfan says:

I’m surpirsed the Nordiques fans didn’t just go to Ottawa, they must have provoked the Devils crowd just a bit. It’s funny cause Expos fans did that last year at a Jays game and are planning on doing it again this year, but unlike Hockey the Jays fans supported the Expos fans. I feel Nordiques won’t get the same hopitality that the Expos fans got :P

• Probably right. At the last Islanders game, there were a bunch of Rangers fans getting under the skin of Long Island fans. The Nordiques fans are probably supported by the Marois family trying to stir up a revolution against Montreal, so that they can come in and say: “Voici les vrai experts de nos sports national du Quebec” and the Americans will simply scratch their heads, pull out a pistol and take ‘em all out! The Americans here don’t get the animosity between Quebec and Montreal and frankly don’t care.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Sportfan says:

The funny part is when it comes to baseball rivalries are there like Boston-New York, Toronto-New York, Chicago-Chicago and Montreal had the Marlins, Dodgers and the Jays. The Jays and Expos there still is a respect level hockey is completely different. For the Devil fans having Habs fans might have annoyed them, but the Nordiques fans may have made them more annoyed haha

• Yeah, they were all in a kerfuffle! it pissed the Islanders fans off too when half the 10,000 fans it seemed, were from Montreal. My daughter and I had our Habs jerseys on and were high fiving every Habs goal. Should have heard the heckles! Too bad there were only three that night!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Mattyleg says:

He looked fat.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Kudos to habsfan0 (Curly or Phil) for pointing out this article, good read.

37. I won’t be going to the Coliseum this Thursday, since last week, we got pasted by Moulson/Tavares and the Islanders. Don’t know why the have our number this year. Meanwhile, Miller and the Sabres are pissed and may take it out on us without Bork, Bork, Bork, Prust, Diaz and Ryder…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

38. Habfan10912 says:

I don’t know about any of you but my parental instincts have me worried to death about our friend Front. Yesterday must have been like his Super Bowl. Gosh, I hope he’s OK. :)

39. …and next week it’s back to back Boston and Pittsburgh. Those two games will decide how big the Habs Cahones are this year.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• habsfan0 says:

And both games on the road.

The MOTHER of all measuring sticks.

• Habfan10912 says:

We’ll show up. The Cahones have already been proven. No more measuring sticks games for this bunch. The team will show up to play nearly every night. The question may be does the club have the talent neccesary but the Cahones stuff has been answered long ago.

• True. They have come back from behind enough times this year to turn this cynic into a believer at least of their cohesiveness and commitment to winning. Don’t know how they keep doing it without the sheer talent of Pittsburgh. Behind them by 18 goals and two games at hand and last year we couldn’t buy goals like the Dogs this year!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

The more I watch of the Oilers, I am thinking of all those top young talented players they have, Eberle is the best. He may be Tavares light or is that Tavares Leger?

Speaking of which, how does Coors Light get past the language police in Quebec, shouldn’t the light be in french?

41. habsfan0 says:

Sabres,Islanders,Sabres this week.
    No less than 6 points will be satisfactory.

• HABSsince92 says:

Yes but the Islanders have owned the Habs this season so I think 4 or 5 points with a couple of Bruins losses mixed in would be a good week lol

____________________________________________________

PK please sign.

• Max says:

The habs can’t handle Tavares and especially Moulson for some reason.That dirty looking greaseball always manages to find open space in front of the net or a free lane to the net and pokes a few easy ones home every game against the habs.

I am willing to accept 5, but would prefer 6. This is like the King of Trap Weeks!

• habsfan0 says:

The way I look at it is this: Both Buffalo and the Isles are non-playoff teams.The Habs are making a run for 1st place in their conference. You MUST be able to beat these teams, trap game or no.

By the way Gerry,did you read the article in the Buffalo News this weekend about the Habs? Very flattering to Marc Bergevin & company.

• Habfan10912 says:

Do not count the Islanders out of a playoff spot. They have some very talented forwards. If they get any kind of goaltending they might make life very difficult for the Rangers, Flyers, Leafs and others who are fighting for their playoff life’s.

• Sportfan says:

I hope we can figure out the Islanders this time around or at least stop them

42. Ozmodiar says:

I think MB will acquire a 4th line C before the deadline. I don’t think White or Dumont instill confidence just yet. My guess would be a pending UFA who’s good on the dot.

Boyd Gordon? good faceoff %, blocks shots, kills penalties
    Brian Boyle? good faceoff %, hits, history with Prust, big (while not a great fighter, he won’t be pushed around)
    Nate Thompson? roughly even faceoff %, good role player, can chip in with some points, most likely to be available of these 3 players

Going into the playoffs I could see:
    Bourque – Pleks – Gio
    Pac – DD – Gally11
    Gally27 – Eller – Ryder
    Moen – ??? – Prust
    (Arm, White)

(d corps trimmed to 7)

43. Loonie says:

With relation to firing coaches and executives or trading underachieving players this season, keep in mind it’s a 48 game schedule and we’re only halfway through it.

There’s only one guy in the NHL who should be fired based on his actions this season and his name is Jay Feaster.

Signing a player to an offer sheet without understanding that he and the draft picks would inevitably be lost with no return is reason for an immediate termination.

• ed says:

according to Feaster, (and I grant you he might be full of B.S.) the management team DID discuss the implications of the new CBA, and the fact that 2 games had been played in the KHL.

again, according to Feaster, the Flames were prepared to officially challenge the NHL on this rule.
      if Feaster’s story is true, he would not necessarily have to be fired over this.

• commandant says:

He should be fired.

He never called the NHL to clarify the rule and if it would apply.

You also don’t make the move, with what is at best a 50/50 legal challenge in mind as your plan. You are rolling the dice with disaster on the line.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed says:

considering that not one media outlet, not one internet site, including you guys, had ever mentioned this new rule would take effect on this player because of his 2 game stint in the KHL,
          I think it is more likely than you think that Feaster’s claim would have placed the NHL in a very bad position.

I agree that on the surface it looks bad. But the circumstances surrounding this mistake, the new, unpublished CBA, make the mistake somewhat more controversial.

maybe Feaster went higher up in the Flames organization and received their “blessing” to proceed against the league on this one??

in that case, he would not be fired.

• Loonie says:

It wasn’t a new rule. Any player last season who played in Europe after that January deadline and wanted to come back to the NHL had to pass through waivers prior to joining the team they signed with.

• The Jackal says:

That’s exactly right, ed.
            People just like to believe the story as Feaster being an idiot. As much as we like to bash GMs here, the truth is that no one rolls the dice on a deal like that. No one who knows contract law and is experienced in such an area would advise anyone to make that move without being certain that it would not be subject to the consequences that we are now aware of. Add to that the fact that Feaster still has a job, and well… that story is just hot air. If he really f-ed up, then he would not be forgiven for such a blunder.

Let’s move on!

How’s that Eric?

Bill Daly confirmed that O’Reilly would have gone on waivers and the same rule applied with Nabakov(Wings, Isles).

Feaster absolutely screwed up. If he left the rule interpretation to somebody else and they screwed him, he still screwed up.

If the league misled him, that’s a different story.

• The Jackal says:

Loonie. I cant’ assure you that the league screwed up, but you don’t make those choices with partial information or roll the dice. If he really screwed up, he would have been fired.

I think the league was covering its ass when it said how it would apply. Feaster’s team was dead sure that the clause would not be interpreted how it supposedly would have been. Anyhow, it’s over now, but I don’t buy that he or his team would screw up that royally.

• Phil C says:

In a lock out year with the CBA still cracked open, this seems plausible to me.

It also makes me wonder if Feaster was just doing Colorado a favour and knew that it would be matched. He has connections to to the Av’s front office.

• Loonie says:

So he took the risk that he might lose the player and the picks and was willing to challenge the NHL in court.

Who says he had a good chance of winning that battle?

That was a move that could have set an already bottom feeding franchise back another year.

44. PrimeTime says:

Add a big dman and big top 6 forward without trading any top prospects…..Man, that should be easy. Nobody wants those player types heading into the playoffs!!! I’m sure MB is on the phone daily, as are all GM’s, and will best decide his course of action with the mindset to go deep into the playoffs but remain a contender for the next few years while adding more assets.

Hopefully Fonzie reads the lastest from Larry Brooks, this article should help create a wonderful post game dynamic between the two, especially if the Rangers lose again tonight.

• Lafleurguy says:

I get the impression that Torts is an overly extroverted Jacques Martin. Not very supportive of young players. Both have been effective coaches, but in the bad seasons for their teams, man do they look bad themselves.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• ed says:

last season, much to the chagrin of Larry Brooks, the Rangers finished #1 in conference with 109 points, and lost in 6 games to the Devils in the East Conference championship.

Fonzie was the coach.

I can’t stand Tortorella either, but Brooks has been trying to get him fired since his first season in New York.

If there’s anything that annoys me more then an arrogant pice of crap like Tortorella, it’s a media buffoon who tries to run a coach out of town.

I say a “pox on both their houses”.

Only difference is Tortorella’s job is on the line, and everyone cheers for Brooks as he digs the knife deeper and deeper.

• Marc10 says:

Sather screwed up doubling down on overpriced aging talent at the expense of character and grit. #FAIL

Torts is a victim… and a whiner. He’ll be canned.

I love them both only for the entertainment value they provide post game. Did Frank give you permission to use his “pox” on both of them?

• Cal says:

Tortorella constantly keeps the heat on himself. He protects his players that way, save for when he feels the whole team is letting him down. His “act” in NY is probably done if they don’t make the playoffs. Could the Rangers’ woes be called the “Nash Effect”?

• Loonie says:

He wasn’t exactly protecting his players when he lambasted Gaborik and Richards to the press.

• Cal says:

There’s a waste of cap space right there. Overpaid and underachieving. I think I’d have already burst a blood vessel or two watching them dog it.

• Loonie says:

Those players have 40 points in 50 in games. Not production that justifies salary but there’s plenty of time left.

46. Phil C says:

I am surprised how many want the Habs to stand pat, even JT, who I normally agree with. But the goal is not to stockpile prospects and picks, the goal is to win the Cup. A lot things need to go right to put together a great team, and this year the planets are aligning for the Habs. It is a window of opportunity that could close again for a while. Two years from now, they may have to trade a centre because they will need a big raise. But not this year, they have four guys that could be top two on most teams. We will be saying “remember when we had Subban AND Markov on defense? That was great, we should have gone for it then.”

And the best part is how often are you a contender AND have extra picks in the stockpile? The answer is almost never unless you go from worst to first like the Habs. They can afford to trade some picks and still do well in the next draft.

Standing pat would be a huge mistake. A mismanagement of surplus assets and a mismanagement of a rare opportunity. Even if you do not want to mess with a winning lineup, they can at least add some veteran depth. It would be cheap and could make the difference when the inevitable playoff injuries come.

Even though my opinion matters not, I am back and forth on the concept of making moves for the playoff run. I continually watch this team go out and win games, all the while wondering if they are really capable of beating Bruins or Penguins in a 7 game series, and wonder if adding 1 or 2 pieces would really change that perspective much.

Having said that, I am glad that so early in MB’s mgmt. career he seems to have wisdom and patience (can’t hurt having Dudley in his ear), and I trust if he sees a deal which would help the Habs without critically hurting the future then so be it. But I am not prepared to endorse moves just for the sake of moves, many trade deadline deals projected to have huge impacts, end up providing little.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – The trade deadline is 17 days away. For me, the biggest question has to be the health of Diaz and Bourque. I don’t think there is any way the Habs can win three rounds without these two guys. Their health may decide the team’s fate and MB’s actions at the deadline.

• NL Hab says:

Absolutely. A lot of factors come into play on April 3rd. I’m not a big fan of trading away draft picks, for rentals. However, as Phil mentioned, its not every year that your team is playing so well together and are considered to be a serious threat. A lot of tough decisions to make for Marc Bergevin. We just have to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along. If we can get our team fully healthy going into the playoffs, I would be happy with our current lineup. The biggest glaring hole for me is the lack of a big stay at home shutdown defenceman.

Et Le But

Agree Steve, and getting those two back as we discussed on the last page is like making trades for a good dman and a powerforward.

• Phil C says:

Your opinion matters here! Outside of that, none of our opinions matter unless… Rick Dudley, is that you?

• Cal says:

“It would be cheap and could make the difference when the inevitable playoff injuries come.”

Actually, Phil, trades at the deadline always come at a premium price. Not worth it. Teams will ask too much for their vets and that vet may or, more probably, may not help the Habs win.
      The Habs can be deep for a long time if they don’t begin mismanaging their assets. Doing trades just for the sake of appearing to be doing something is the hallmark of traders like Holmgren. All splash, no substance.

• Phil C says:

You are right that draft picks are valuable, but I don’t think a 2nd rounder is too much to pay when you have 3 of them. They don’t always work out, but sometimes they do ( ie Guerin, Stuart, Kelly).

• Loonie says:

With Trevor Timmins at the helm picks should almost be regarded with higher value than some of the prospects that aren’t progressing well or aren’t likely to have a huge impact. Then there’s the added factor that there are some prospects like Nygren and Kristo that could be lost with no return.

If Bergevin can add pieces that aren’t necessarily rentals and include one or some of Kristo, Nygren, Pateryn, Thrower, Bennett, Holland or MacMillan to get it done, it would be great because he’s giving up pieces from positions of organizational strengths and or letting go of prospects who aren’t likely to be long-time, high impact Habs.

If that kind of a deal can’t be made a combination of the second and third round picks could get a nice player.

This team won’t suffer dire consequences from letting go one or some of its non-blue chip prospects.

• NL Hab says:

I don’t think they stand pat. Bergevin knows there is a fine line between winning the cup now and not trading away our future. I think we add a big D man and a big forward. There is a lot of players in play now and by April 3rd, there should be more of a divide between sellers and buyers. I would like us to get a Jason Chimera type forward, big fast guy who can play on any line. And we need a big stay at home defenceman. Most people think that we need to hit a homerun with a Corey Perry, Jarome Iginla or Chris Stewart type player. To acquire these players will require us give up a lot of picks and prospects. We stay away from these guys and go with depth moves. I think we have enough offensive forwards and offensive defenceman, but we are missing a bit more grit on the back end and on the 3rd/4th line.

Et Le But

• Marc10 says:

There’s room to add depth and they’ve got the goods to do it with plenty of D in the system. I suspect Bergie is looking at how the Bruins added Horton, Kelly, Peverley and Dr Recchi without damaging their team vibe (as loathsome as it is).

My shopping list if I’m MB:

1) A big and tough bottom six guy who can forecheck
      2) A big D to clear the front of the net

I’d look at outcasts in Washington, NYR (if they don’t make it), Philly (if they don’t make it), Dallas, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary.

• HardHabits says:

If it’s a 3rd for Guerin type of move I am all for it. If it is a 1st and a 2nd for Tanguay type of move I am all against it.

The good news is the Habs have depth and have assets they can manage. A far cry from the past when the Habs had little by way of depth on the team and little by way of depth in the prospect pool.

I remember a bunch of teams making plays for Hossa only to have the 3rd time be the charm and that was the team that went all in for a long term deal as opposed to just opting for the rental.

Bergevin has stated that he isn’t interested in rentals and would only go for a player that fits in with the long term plan. Making a move just because it’s there is not bright. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don’t make.

• Loonie says:

I think the good thing about the Habs situation is that if the team gets healthy Bergevin may only look to add depth on defense.

That doesn’t typically come at a high cost.

Jim Matheson with his look around the league. Chris if you are still online, you will certainly enjoy his compliment to Datsyuk as the 2nd best player in the NHL behind Crosby. Some interesting tidbits from Jim.

48. commandant says:

Mitch with a look at the possible future logjam for the Habs at Centre and the potential solutions.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

49. habstrinifan says:

The recent posts re Sergei K. have prompted me to go ahead and post this despite my reservations… for it does some calling out of some posters here.

First let me admit that I am one of the people who evaluated Sergei K. as having tremendous upside… talent (stickhandling, speed, shot) and size and ‘grit’ to be a top level NHL player. While I dont recall absolutely and totally blaming the coaching/handling here in Mtl, I will admit that I thought he was being ‘mishandled’ and misused here in MTL. Well it seems that Sergei’s failures are due more to Sergei’s attitude/drive than any coach’s attitude towards him. So it is easy for me to say I was fooled by this player.

Now for the contrast which may draw some ire from the posters who have been sanctimonious re this issue. So be it.

I read recently two posts (and this is a popular theme here) which sanctimoniously proclaimed P.K Subban to having now ‘passed their test’ of goodness. According to them, the appearance that he ‘left money on the table’ to be a HAB; the suppressing of his un-Gorges-like personality; the Benedictine environment and transpersonal teachings of the deipotents in our hockey tabernacle (and this dates back to JM days) are solely responsible for the P.K we now see.. skilled yet duteous.

I have never seen a post here which unequivocally gives P.K his due. Simply put, there has not been, within the last 5 years, a rookie who has come into the HABS system and has overcome an attack of his ‘very being’ and risen to confound all his critics by doing it their way and proving time and time again his innate drive to be stellar and force the recognition of his underlying ability and dedication to his ‘job’ as a hockey player.

And no one can point to a public statement of P.K lashing back. Even the seemingly mild mannered Weber chastised the organization for not playing him even though he was ‘better than many’ who were being played before him. Even the virtuous Pacioretty establish his terms with the ultimatum ‘make me a top six or leave me alone’.

All P.K. has done is simply accepted.. and worked.. and proven.

So shut up with the inordinate “who has sculpted P.K..” Every single individual benefits from the wisdom and guidance around him. But give P.K his due. P.K has sculpted P.K.

This is evident in that little clip now on CH24. And recently, for the very first time, you saw a pushback by P.K, when he said “I have never been given anything.. I have earned my ice-time… etc etc”

Finally got that off my chest. I can now deal with the sanctimony of those who see all the ‘good’ that has been done to and for P.K by.. (fill in the blank) , which I know will continue.

• ed says:

if you have never seen a post here which unequivocally gives Subban his due, you have not been reading my posts.

all I can do is write them, I can’t force you to read them!

• Habitforming says:

Well said, and bullseye true in all aspects!

• New says:

Trini – Do you have any idea how many point per game 23 year old D-men are in the league and playing 22 minutes a game?

You are definitely correct. PK has sculpted PK. The difference between this year and last however is too marked to deny that PK listened, or is listening, to the new management and coaches. (The hold out at the start of this season was a bad decision. Everything isn’t about now, but the future which arrives faster than most would like.) A PK selecting shots rather than looking for an opportunity to blast away is a PK who scores three times more frequently. A PK not trying to do it all himself is a PK not caught out of position. Did PK just decide to do that? Or did someone take the pressure off and PK listened?

PK Subban has enough talent to enable a satisfactory NHL career, make a lot of money, and go on to be a hockey analyst. Or PK is the next Dickie Moore, Bobby Orr, what have you. When the Habs hit a losing streak we’ll see which it will be. Hopefully that doesn’t come for another 20 years or so when PK Subban has a courtesy seat at every Habs home game just below his retired number or is behind the bench himself.