Penguins devoured, now on to turkey

Habs give thanks for win

Price didn’t suck – Jack Todd

Gui! not in shape

• Go McGill! Mike Babcock gets four-year extension

• Look who tops Darren Dreger’s rookie list

The Oilers are hot

Ribeiro arrested for public intoxication. “Officer, I was just practicing my diving, honest!”

• Habs prospect Maxim Trunev

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

And how’s this for showing some holiday love:

1. petrov14 says:

Thanks for the link. Imma enjoy some leftovers while watching some hockey!

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

2. adam76 says:

Agree 100% – blind support is the reason the Leafs have not been to the cup final in the expansion era.

One thing you have to remember – a high percentage of the posters here are generation Y – who were raised by helicopter parents. They don;t fully understand the concept of criticism.

3. quentin_stuckley says:

i think p.k. is the real deal.  he comports himself well, and doesn’t shy from the media.  he seems like a stand up guy, or more, like a happy child, and that is refreshing in a way.  but then i see him on the ice jawing/barking at the opposition, and i’m like, “damn!  this kid’s hungry, and isn’t showing any fear.”  i love it.  then after the game he’s all composed again.  it’s like jeckyl and hyde.  he’s great.  he looks poised on the ice.  he doesn’t look like he panics, and it doesn’t look like his teammates panic when he goes on a rush.  plus, he’s fast enough to get back.  and his on my fantasy team, so i hope his play continues.  can’t wait for that first point.  been close.

4. Xtrahabsfan says:

Its fans like me who want to go all the way to the finnals”It’s been too long” and you need talent ,heart ,size,vision ,skill,speed and every game CONSISTENCY for that to happen….

5. petrov14 says:

Someones never been to the drunk-tank.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

6. rocketsglare says:

Hey, Jack, Cammalleri does not owe you or anyone else an explanation about the stick incident. It’s over and

done with. Cammalleri has moved on. So should you. Maybe you should spend more time on the positives of

Saturday’s game and how the team showed no quit.

Your praise of Price was underhanded and insincere. Give him a brake. All you do when it comes to Price is co-

mpare him to Halak, as if Halak where the gold standard for goaltending. Well, for one, Halak is gone and like

any other netminder, is far from that gold standard. So, since Price is our man for the next two years, I think

you should be behind him. At least give him a chance to prove himself this season.

7. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh… yes.

It’s basically a law against being a drunken a-hole in public.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. Mattyleg says:

So no-one liked my poem?!

Bah. No-one liked Citizen Kane when it came out either…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. adam76 says:

You are kidding, right?

10. B says:

FYI, since being released from the Canuck’s camp last month, Fischer has signed on with the ECHL’s Florida Everblades.

The Everblades are affiliated with Tampa and Carolina. I wonder if Julien Brisebois had anything to do with giving Fischer a chance on the Everblades?

11. quentin_stuckley says:

yep, and yep.  i thought eklund uses improbable rumors to get hits?  i wonder if the GMs or people around the team have fun with him from time to time serving up crap cakes of information.

12. habs fan from stonyplain says:

its fans like you who are going to ruin carey and run him out of town, does the name steve penny ring a bell or are you to young. Jaro is never going to repeat what he did last spring and when carey keeps having a career year then what are you going to say

13. Mikey_39 says:

I just heard about that.  You can get arrested for being drunk?

14. quentin_stuckley says:

double post.  that’s my hit tactic.

15. Xtrahabsfan says:

I think Jack Todds  RIGHT ON ! I can’t believe how many other Habs  athletes have been slagged by the fans on this blog site  but don’t touch  hockey God Price… Carey Price has shown NO CONSISTENCY  and two games mean sheit. I hope the kid can turn it around but WE TRADED THE WRONG F’N GOALIE PERIOD! Now as for Jack Todd, well he’s no different than all of us Franco  hating hamerlickinSouray assed son’s o lil titted Jaro bashers…..Just Riberioing!

16. quentin_stuckley says:

gone?  yes.  forgotten?  never!

is it productive?  not really.  does it make sense?  kinda.

gui! will always be talked about.  he’s a homeboy, and homeboys will always be talked about whether they play/played for the habs or not.  it makes sense.  it’s interesting to me.

halak will always be talked about because of his on ice performances and his being a really nice guy.  if anything i’ve learned on this site, it’s how long the memories of habs fans are.  it’s a product of the teams 100 year long existence.  with so much past, it’s hard to stay in the present.  as for following past players, don’t we all look to see how former habs fare in games.  i do.  for me, once they go through the organization, and i’ve invested time cheering them on, i feel on some level as if i’ve adopted them, for lack of a better word.  when they leave the fold, i want to check on how those guys are doing.  maybe it’s just me.

17. Slovak says:

Todd wrote what he thinks, it is his personal view, he does not want you to think it is the only truth… His boss thinks that his view is worth to be in media and so it is… I don’t see any problem there and some of you are crying here like Crosby on the ice…

For what?

Everybody needs critical point of view to become better and HABS needs to be better to get the Cup, don’t they?… Blind support leads to another decade of waiting, because it is pressure that elevates people to perform at their best… and pressure comes from being critical…not overprotective…

18. lefreak says:

pro tip : he does it on purpose to mask the fact that he is not a really good writer. It is the same formula Eklund uses to get hits applied to print journalism.

19. Jbird says:

With you %100.

20. quentin_stuckley says:

21. quentin_stuckley says:

any person in public office is fair game to criticism and ridicule.  it’s part of the job.  as for todd using the former president in an attempt, an attempt mind you, to be funny so be it.  it doesn’t ruffle my feathers, if anything it only shows the limitations of todds ability to be funny.  some people are one trick ponies.  if they can’t think of anything else, go back to the tried and true.  for todd it’s george w., i guess.  but it’s early in the season, maybe he’ll get some more material.

i do agree with what a poster typed earlier.  even though this is an article to ‘praise’ price, he still dedicated a good portion of the article as to price’s shortcomings, as if to say: ‘sure, he won this game, played brilliant against crosby and company, made highlight saves to keep the habs in it, BUT he still has suck potential.’  i felt this article was nothing but a big BUT job by todd.  to each his on i guess.

i do find it odd that todd made use of the phrase: ‘a game price didn’t deserve to lose,’ in reference to the penguins game as well as the toronto game, if i’m not mistaken.  funny.  it seemed like last year there were many games in which price deserved better fates.  i think most goalies with a .912 save percentage would feel they played pretty well.

correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t the aforementioned save percentage mean he stopped, on average, 9 out of 10 shots faced.  not too shabby.

22. Praj12 says:

Couldn’t agree more! Todd has never liked Price and sometimes I get the feeling that he is a leafs fan.

He probably never played hockey in hos life either.

I stopped reading his negative comments a while back.Boone is getting to this point also.Arm chair coaches that know hockey only because they watch it on tv.

Why do we keep on talking about Gui! Who gives a #hit about him ot Halak for that matter. They are gone and forgotten. Let’s talk Habs as in habs inside out not halak inside out!

23. larisalapointe says:

I get what you’re saying, and you’re right,  but Carey Price seems to have outgrown that stage, if there was such a stage?  I have two daughters but all my friends who have sons, because we talked about it, say if their children were handed a million dollars and stardom overnight they would become wh*res for sure.  If he’s still doing it, then it would be irresponsible. But judging from his body language and performance, he seems in top shape.

Besides, what is rumour and what is truth? He could have just been struggling with all the expectations.

24. lefreak says:

Jack Todd could really use some Ritalin and a thesaurus.

I’ve never really put much stock in the purposefully inflammatory opinions he is know for, but reading one of his “articles” must be the closest you can come to experiencing tourettes without having it.

Do you guys actually have editors?

25. makka83 says:

and he wrote only 2 sentences complimenting Price. The rest is to show how much he struggled!!!! Or talk about what W meant! LOL!

26. habitual says:

Well  …. not really.  Young players are young people, and people deserve to enjoy life – but as highly paid professional athletes they also need to live a lifestyle that is in concert with their responsibilities as an athlete.  They get paid extremely well, and with money and privilege, should come responsibility.

I’m not saying I know anything about Carey or his lifestyle, but to say it another way, if any athlete goes out and gets pissed the night before he is to play, that is not acceptable.

Neither you nor I make anywhere near pro dollars but I wouldn’t go paint the town red the night before a presentation before 20,000 customers. Would you?

27. ZepFan2 says:

now, boys and girls, our class for today:The letter “J”

J is for journalism. It’s also for jerk, jabrone and last but not least…Jack-a$$.

“it shows he is at least fair-minded.”

Thanks for the laugh.

– Steven Tyler

28. makka83 says:

Well, Todd is not a good writer. He keeps repeating stuff over and over. He comes off as a whiney/bitchy/angry man.

Even when praising Price, he used the bulk of the article to highlight Price’s bad run and bad playoff record.

What good writer writes &&&&&&&&& in his articles? And the Gorges W. part… was that supposed to be funny?

Also a writer wrould know that if W = win then L = LOSS (not lose!).

This guy has grammatical errors in his articles and you’re telling me he’s a good writer?

29. larisalapointe says:

And besides which 20ish year old young man isn’t doing or dying to do what these young athletes do? Nothing abnormal here. If athletes are to be judged on their private lives, then most of them would be hated.

30. ZepFan2 says:

Happy T-day and more importantly, Happy B-day!

– Steven Tyler

31. M.Neil says:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&& now, Jack Todd, our class for today: the letter “L.” for loser, lout, lousy, looney, and lack luster.

Read more:

A pat on the back is only inches away from a kick in the ass.

32. alestar says:

So Gui showed up to camp out of shape and is playing his way down the lines…why does that not surprise me? Same pattern as when he came up with the Habs. I’ll take Benny any day over Guimauve.

Fearless prediction: Guimauve will punch his ticket out of Minny within the next 2 seasons…

XXIV…and counting

33. Bob Barker says:

Hindsight is 20/20 but it would have been pretty sweet if we had taken Perron and Giroux over Pacioretty and Fischer

34. marlboro says:

I agree, pretty sad though,  if that’s all Todd can come up with.  Shows his level of creativity.

35. RGM says:

I hope Saku scores a hat trick.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

The problem is there’s not much to say about sporting events after the fact. One team won, another lost. We all saw it, or can see the highlights on the web. Sportswriter’s gotta come up with something.

37. marlboro says:

Really, It’s cool, I respect eveybody’s opinion.  Some things he did were wrong, I know…  thats not my point though. I come to Habs I/O (or read the soprts pages in a Montreal new paper) to talk Canadiens. I don’t get what Carey Price’s game has to do with George Bush, even if a War Criminal is your opinion.  Know what I mean?

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah the cowards were the ones who doused Napalm on Vietnamese peasants. And the ones who ordered them to do it.

39. Caper says:

I find Todd to be an angry man and wrote him an email after an article he wrote following the Habs dismissal in the 2009 playoffs. I noted to Todd that he appeared to have a “hate on” for Price. To his credit he wrote me back almost immediately and he continued his ‘work” on Price. He indicated that in his position as a writer in Montreal, he was privy to info on Price’s night time habits. I have no doubt that he does however, his tone is very bitter and in my opinion, almost personal.

40. Jbird says:

Might not of been YOUR president for 2 years but he’s still a war criminal.  – just bugging you . . . . sort of.

41. B says:

Don’t forget the other former Habs in the Blues vs Ducks game, D’Agostini for the Blues along with Koivu, Chipchura and Mara for the Ducks.
    It is also worth watching Sherbrooke native David Perron who the Habs passed up on for Pacioretty.

42. Stuck_in_To. says:

And Todd lost me when he became a sports writer. As for a good writer … “highly-caffeinated, staccato approach” or repetitive one-trick poney … I strongly disagree. Strong opinions are fine when they are backed up with facts and salient observation. Otherwise, it is just loud-mouthed grandstanding.

43. marlboro says:

I agree with you..What the hell is the George Bush reference for..We get it, he didn’t like him.  I had to put up reading his SPORTS article for 8 years, with his total lack of respect for MY President.  Todd doesn’t even live in the U.S, he’s a draft dodging coward…with a big mouth! But, I believe in Freedom of speech, so have at it.  But the guy hasn’t been the President in 2 years!! And has completely disappeared off the grid.  Give it a rest.  It’s not like the current one is performing Miracles.  Write about sports please! Or go work for MSNBC, you’ll fit in over there with all their high ratings. Ya Loser!

44. fbkj says:

wont argue with that

45. shootdapuck says:

Bitterness toward anyone making over the minimum wage is not the essence of eveything you write!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

46. Keith says:

Yeah, maybe I went too far and I apologize for that. But I still don’t like the guy or his writing style. He’s always stiring up S**t.

47. habsgod says:

HAPPY THANKSGIGVING TO ALL MY FELLOW HABS FANS ON THIS SITE! get to enjoy my birthday today knowing that we are 1-1 and on the season ,and we should be 2-0 we will be 2-1 on wednesday after we our home opener against the lightning!thit will be another belated birthday gift from my canadiens! i love the way price has played,cammalleri is the man(and my favorite current hab),ellar looks awseome,p.k. will win rookie of the year handsdown, i also think that cammy and pleks are 1 of best duo’s in the league.

48. Danno says:

Todd lost me when he started saying you shouldn’t say “we” when talking about the Habs as in “we” beat the Penguins on Saturday.  Then he wrote that piece saying it’s okay to boo Carey Price after his first pre-season game and I thought that was a bit mean-spirited on his part. But to each his own I guess.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

49. joeybarrie says:

Turkey stew??? You have captured my attention even more than Jack Todd. What is in this Turkey Stew of yours?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. joeybarrie says:

I agree with everything you said except for the GOOD WRITER. I actually think he sucks. It’s filled with nonsense and he is uninformative. As you said its an opinion. If I wanted a crappy opinion in a funny style I would watch Don Cherry. For me Todd misses the mark, and continues to use controversial topics to garner attention.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. Danno says:

Check out the NHL Channel (free preview until Oct. 24) has the following today…

The Blues (and you-know-who in nets) against the Ducks this afternoon. 2:00 Montreal time.

Other games include: Rangers/Isles, Bruins/Coyotes, Penguins/Devils, Hawks/Sabres, Avs/Flyers, Panthers/Canucks.

Also available on your PC from this site.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

52. joeybarrie says:

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. Bill says:

There are two groups who don’t like Todd: coworkers and readers. Coworkers know him and have their own reasons, and I assume some of them like him and some don’t. Maybe he’s a jerk or something, how would I know? I’m a reader and, just based on what he writes, I don’t see the problem. It’s the same old thing. There is a strange group of fans who think that to love the team you have to love all the players, all the coaches, and the entire management team … and you have to love all of them all of the time.

The Habs may be a religion to some, but Gauthier is not God, Martin is not the pope, and it’s Carey Price, not Jesus Price, as I’m sure he’d like us to know. It’s not rude to critique or analyze – though it obviously can be done rudely, which is detestable – and in fact trying to figure out how the team might improve is a big part of the fun.

Todd didn’t say “Price didn’t suck”. He said Price was so-so in Toronto and tremendous in Pittsburgh. I’d basically agree with that. I’d add that the Toronto loss certainly wasn’t his fault, just to be clear. Overall, I think the assessment was reasonable, at any rate, and coming from Todd, an on-the-record Halak fan who thinks the Habs kept the wrong goalie, it shows he is at least fair-minded.

Then there is Todd’s writing style, which I would describe as a highly-caffeinated, staccato approach to sports journalism. It’s not for everyone, obviously, but at least it’s clear and to the point. It’s an opinion column, so expect opinions, you know? Hey, he’s no Mike Boone … but he’s still good writer 🙂

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. Jbird says:

Shows he made a smart choice at one time in his life.

55. TOEmastro says:

Socialist is just a commie with a job! j’accuse!

56. Mike Boone says:

I’m a raving socialist. Wanna make something out of it?

57. Mike Boone says:

58. Propwash says:

Turkey tastes better. Penguins taste like whine.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

59. fbkj says:

im no fan of todd but thats pretty low, especially in hindsight… avoiding a war if youve enlisted is one thing… but these were entirely different circumstances…

60. shootdapuck says:

Draft dodger and a raving socialist!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

61. Keith says:

And a Draft Dodger too. What does that tell you about his character.

62. notbigbird says:

He seems to be able to get out of a muddle and find plan B quite well.

63. Mattyleg says:

The Ballad of Guigui LeGros

Wild ex-Hab, name of Guidoune,

to camp swelled up like a balloon,

his groins, they got strained

his coaches look pained,

his fan club ain’t over the moon.

grinder called Cal Clutterbuck

Gui at hoggin’ the puck.

your heart give a wrench

Gui’s warming the bench?

Nah, we Habs fans just don’t give a…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. says:

And this is where I stopped reading Todd’s article.

Two nights after a decidedly so-so outing in Toronto, Price came up
    with a superb effort against the Penguins. Better still, he got the

Happy Thanks Giving Day, we had our supper yesterday, so today I make my famous Turkey stew!!

They Call Me Shane

65. RGM says:

Nebraska, sayeth the Wikipedia.

66. SmartDog says:

A smart and skilled player like Subban is extremely coachable. He just needed to WANT to spend more time in his end.

In fact, Subban IS a thoroughbred.  That’s exactly what it is, you don’t need to movitate him, you just point him at a situation and now and then reign him back from destroying it with too much power.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

67. Mattyleg says:

Yes, he’s American. Don’t remember where from.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. SmartDog says:

Pretty sure Todd IS American.

Reminds me of a marketing buddy of mine. (I’m also in marketing.) Nothing he does is at all subtle. His pitch is always “CHEAPER, BETTER, & FASTER”!!!  LOL

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

69. habs03 says:

Thanks for the link, I knew he wasn’t as bad in his own end as some people made him to be, but I never expected him to be this good right away on D, he uses his body  to protect the puck so well, and I love how he just flips the puck high in the air to clear the zone at times.

70. Curtis O Habs says:

Good point.  He seemed the need to remind the reader that the flyers eliminated the habs last spring.  Would anyone reading the article not know that?

I have watched him develop for years, and use to laugh at all the comments about him being a liability in his own end. He is so quick that he can play in both ends at the same time.

We are witnessing the start of our next super star in the hockey mecca city of Montreal.! I knew it 5 years ago.

Check this out..  rookie list

72. habs03 says:

I’m amazed by how good Subban has been in his own end, this guy can reallly play in his own end. I can’t wait for Markov and Hamrlik to be back so Picard and O’B can join Darche fulltime in the pressbox.

73. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I hadn’t read Todd for a while, and only started looking at it again before the season started. I’ve noted people disliking his work, and didn’t have an opinion either way. Reading it, I see what looks like a US talk show approach to the subject – anger people, and wind up the already irrationally angry. That ought to sell around hockey in Montreal!

So Gui is a fat slacker destined to play on a line with Kyle Wellwood. Maybe when he retires, he can come back home and run a gym, with an attached hair cutting salon to be run by Sergei K.