Penguins devoured, now on to turkey

Habs give thanks for win

Price didn’t suck – Jack Todd

Gui! not in shape

• Go McGill! Mike Babcock gets four-year extension

• Look who tops Darren Dreger’s rookie list

The Oilers are hot

Ribeiro arrested for public intoxication. “Officer, I was just practicing my diving, honest!”

• Habs prospect Maxim Trunev

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

And how’s this for showing some holiday love:

ONb5waVYAGM

1. petrov14 says:

Thanks for the link. Imma enjoy some leftovers while watching some hockey!

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

2. adam76 says:

Agree 100% – blind support is the reason the Leafs have not been to the cup final in the expansion era.

One thing you have to remember - a high percentage of the posters here are generation Y – who were raised by helicopter parents. They don;t fully understand the concept of criticism.

3. quentin_stuckley says:

i think p.k. is the real deal.  he comports himself well, and doesn’t shy from the media.  he seems like a stand up guy, or more, like a happy child, and that is refreshing in a way.  but then i see him on the ice jawing/barking at the opposition, and i’m like, “damn!  this kid’s hungry, and isn’t showing any fear.”  i love it.  then after the game he’s all composed again.  it’s like jeckyl and hyde.  he’s great.  he looks poised on the ice.  he doesn’t look like he panics, and it doesn’t look like his teammates panic when he goes on a rush.  plus, he’s fast enough to get back.  and his on my fantasy team, so i hope his play continues.  can’t wait for that first point.  been close.

4. Xtrahabsfan says:

Its fans like me who want to go all the way to the finnals”It’s been too long” and you need talent ,heart ,size,vision ,skill,speed and every game CONSISTENCY for that to happen….

5. petrov14 says:

Someones never been to the drunk-tank.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

6. rocketsglare says:

Hey, Jack, Cammalleri does not owe you or anyone else an explanation about the stick incident. It’s over and

done with. Cammalleri has moved on. So should you. Maybe you should spend more time on the positives of

Saturday’s game and how the team showed no quit.

Your praise of Price was underhanded and insincere. Give him a brake. All you do when it comes to Price is co-

mpare him to Halak, as if Halak where the gold standard for goaltending. Well, for one, Halak is gone and like

any other netminder, is far from that gold standard. So, since Price is our man for the next two years, I think

you should be behind him. At least give him a chance to prove himself this season.

7. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh… yes.

It’s basically a law against being a drunken a-hole in public.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. Mattyleg says:

So no-one liked my poem?!

Bah. No-one liked Citizen Kane when it came out either…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. adam76 says:

You are kidding, right?

10. B says:

FYI, since being released from the Canuck’s camp last month, Fischer has signed on with the ECHL’s Florida Everblades.

The Everblades are affiliated with Tampa and Carolina. I wonder if Julien Brisebois had anything to do with giving Fischer a chance on the Everblades?

11. quentin_stuckley says:

yep, and yep.  i thought eklund uses improbable rumors to get hits?  i wonder if the GMs or people around the team have fun with him from time to time serving up crap cakes of information.

12. habs fan from stonyplain says:

its fans like you who are going to ruin carey and run him out of town, does the name steve penny ring a bell or are you to young. Jaro is never going to repeat what he did last spring and when carey keeps having a career year then what are you going to say

13. Mikey_39 says:

I just heard about that.  You can get arrested for being drunk?

14. quentin_stuckley says:

double post.  that’s my hit tactic.

15. Xtrahabsfan says:

I think Jack Todds  RIGHT ON ! I can’t believe how many other Habs  athletes have been slagged by the fans on this blog site  but don’t touch  hockey God Price… Carey Price has shown NO CONSISTENCY  and two games mean sheit. I hope the kid can turn it around but WE TRADED THE WRONG F’N GOALIE PERIOD! Now as for Jack Todd, well he’s no different than all of us Franco  hating hamerlickinSouray assed son’s o lil titted Jaro bashers…..Just Riberioing!

16. quentin_stuckley says:

gone?  yes.  forgotten?  never!

is it productive?  not really.  does it make sense?  kinda.

gui! will always be talked about.  he’s a homeboy, and homeboys will always be talked about whether they play/played for the habs or not.  it makes sense.  it’s interesting to me.

halak will always be talked about because of his on ice performances and his being a really nice guy.  if anything i’ve learned on this site, it’s how long the memories of habs fans are.  it’s a product of the teams 100 year long existence.  with so much past, it’s hard to stay in the present.  as for following past players, don’t we all look to see how former habs fare in games.  i do.  for me, once they go through the organization, and i’ve invested time cheering them on, i feel on some level as if i’ve adopted them, for lack of a better word.  when they leave the fold, i want to check on how those guys are doing.  maybe it’s just me.

17. Slovak says:

Todd wrote what he thinks, it is his personal view, he does not want you to think it is the only truth… His boss thinks that his view is worth to be in media and so it is… I don’t see any problem there and some of you are crying here like Crosby on the ice…

For what?

Everybody needs critical point of view to become better and HABS needs to be better to get the Cup, don’t they?… Blind support leads to another decade of waiting, because it is pressure that elevates people to perform at their best… and pressure comes from being critical…not overprotective…

18. lefreak says:

pro tip : he does it on purpose to mask the fact that he is not a really good writer. It is the same formula Eklund uses to get hits applied to print journalism.

19. Jbird says:

With you %100.

20. quentin_stuckley says:

jack.

todd.

lameo.

21. quentin_stuckley says:

any person in public office is fair game to criticism and ridicule.  it’s part of the job.  as for todd using the former president in an attempt, an attempt mind you, to be funny so be it.  it doesn’t ruffle my feathers, if anything it only shows the limitations of todds ability to be funny.  some people are one trick ponies.  if they can’t think of anything else, go back to the tried and true.  for todd it’s george w., i guess.  but it’s early in the season, maybe he’ll get some more material.

i do agree with what a poster typed earlier.  even though this is an article to ‘praise’ price, he still dedicated a good portion of the article as to price’s shortcomings, as if to say: ‘sure, he won this game, played brilliant against crosby and company, made highlight saves to keep the habs in it, BUT he still has suck potential.’  i felt this article was nothing but a big BUT job by todd.  to each his on i guess.

i do find it odd that todd made use of the phrase: ‘a game price didn’t deserve to lose,’ in reference to the penguins game as well as the toronto game, if i’m not mistaken.  funny.  it seemed like last year there were many games in which price deserved better fates.  i think most goalies with a .912 save percentage would feel they played pretty well.

correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t the aforementioned save percentage mean he stopped, on average, 9 out of 10 shots faced.  not too shabby.

22. Praj12 says:

Couldn’t agree more! Todd has never liked Price and sometimes I get the feeling that he is a leafs fan.

He probably never played hockey in hos life either.

I stopped reading his negative comments a while back.Boone is getting to this point also.Arm chair coaches that know hockey only because they watch it on tv.

Why do we keep on talking about Gui! Who gives a #hit about him ot Halak for that matter. They are gone and forgotten. Let’s talk Habs as in habs inside out not halak inside out!

23. larisalapointe says:

I get what you’re saying, and you’re right,  but Carey Price seems to have outgrown that stage, if there was such a stage?  I have two daughters but all my friends who have sons, because we talked about it, say if their children were handed a million dollars and stardom overnight they would become wh*res for sure.  If he’s still doing it, then it would be irresponsible. But judging from his body language and performance, he seems in top shape.

Besides, what is rumour and what is truth? He could have just been struggling with all the expectations.

24. lefreak says:

Jack Todd could really use some Ritalin and a thesaurus.

I’ve never really put much stock in the purposefully inflammatory opinions he is know for, but reading one of his “articles” must be the closest you can come to experiencing tourettes without having it.

Do you guys actually have editors?

lol

25. makka83 says:

and he wrote only 2 sentences complimenting Price. The rest is to show how much he struggled!!!! Or talk about what W meant! LOL!

26. habitual says:

Well  …. not really.  Young players are young people, and people deserve to enjoy life – but as highly paid professional athletes they also need to live a lifestyle that is in concert with their responsibilities as an athlete.  They get paid extremely well, and with money and privilege, should come responsibility.

I’m not saying I know anything about Carey or his lifestyle, but to say it another way, if any athlete goes out and gets pissed the night before he is to play, that is not acceptable.

Neither you nor I make anywhere near pro dollars but I wouldn’t go paint the town red the night before a presentation before 20,000 customers. Would you?

27. ZepFan2 says:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

now, boys and girls, our class for today:The letter “J”

J is for journalism. It’s also for jerk, jabrone and last but not least…Jack-a$$.

“it shows he is at least fair-minded.”

Bhahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

28. makka83 says:

Well, Todd is not a good writer. He keeps repeating stuff over and over. He comes off as a whiney/bitchy/angry man.

Even when praising Price, he used the bulk of the article to highlight Price’s bad run and bad playoff record.

What good writer writes &&&&&&&&& in his articles? And the Gorges W. part… was that supposed to be funny?

Also a writer wrould know that if W = win then L = LOSS (not lose!).

This guy has grammatical errors in his articles and you’re telling me he’s a good writer?

29. larisalapointe says:

And besides which 20ish year old young man isn’t doing or dying to do what these young athletes do? Nothing abnormal here. If athletes are to be judged on their private lives, then most of them would be hated.

30. ZepFan2 says:

Happy T-day and more importantly, Happy B-day!

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

31. M.Neil says:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&& now, Jack Todd, our class for today: the letter “L.” for loser, lout, lousy, looney, and lack luster.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Well+deserved+Price+Penguins/3652963/story.html#ixzz12429WPIp===================================================================

A pat on the back is only inches away from a kick in the ass.

32. alestar says:

So Gui showed up to camp out of shape and is playing his way down the lines…why does that not surprise me? Same pattern as when he came up with the Habs. I’ll take Benny any day over Guimauve.

Fearless prediction: Guimauve will punch his ticket out of Minny within the next 2 seasons…

XXIV…and counting

33. Bob Barker says:

Hindsight is 20/20 but it would have been pretty sweet if we had taken Perron and Giroux over Pacioretty and Fischer

34. marlboro says:

I agree, pretty sad though,  if that’s all Todd can come up with.  Shows his level of creativity.

35. RGM says:

I hope Saku scores a hat trick.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

The problem is there’s not much to say about sporting events after the fact. One team won, another lost. We all saw it, or can see the highlights on the web. Sportswriter’s gotta come up with something.

37. marlboro says:

Really, It’s cool, I respect eveybody’s opinion.  Some things he did were wrong, I know…  thats not my point though. I come to Habs I/O (or read the soprts pages in a Montreal new paper) to talk Canadiens. I don’t get what Carey Price’s game has to do with George Bush, even if a War Criminal is your opinion.  Know what I mean?

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah the cowards were the ones who doused Napalm on Vietnamese peasants. And the ones who ordered them to do it.

39. Caper says:

I find Todd to be an angry man and wrote him an email after an article he wrote following the Habs dismissal in the 2009 playoffs. I noted to Todd that he appeared to have a “hate on” for Price. To his credit he wrote me back almost immediately and he continued his ‘work” on Price. He indicated that in his position as a writer in Montreal, he was privy to info on Price’s night time habits. I have no doubt that he does however, his tone is very bitter and in my opinion, almost personal.

40. Jbird says:

Might not of been YOUR president for 2 years but he’s still a war criminal.  – just bugging you . . . . sort of.

41. B says:

Don’t forget the other former Habs in the Blues vs Ducks game, D’Agostini for the Blues along with Koivu, Chipchura and Mara for the Ducks.
    It is also worth watching Sherbrooke native David Perron who the Habs passed up on for Pacioretty.

42. Stuck_in_To. says:

And Todd lost me when he became a sports writer. As for a good writer … “highly-caffeinated, staccato approach” or repetitive one-trick poney … I strongly disagree. Strong opinions are fine when they are backed up with facts and salient observation. Otherwise, it is just loud-mouthed grandstanding.

43. marlboro says:

I agree with you..What the hell is the George Bush reference for..We get it, he didn’t like him.  I had to put up reading his SPORTS article for 8 years, with his total lack of respect for MY President.  Todd doesn’t even live in the U.S, he’s a draft dodging coward…with a big mouth! But, I believe in Freedom of speech, so have at it.  But the guy hasn’t been the President in 2 years!! And has completely disappeared off the grid.  Give it a rest.  It’s not like the current one is performing Miracles.  Write about sports please! Or go work for MSNBC, you’ll fit in over there with all their high ratings. Ya Loser!

44. fbkj says:

wont argue with that

45. shootdapuck says:

Bitterness toward anyone making over the minimum wage is not the essence of eveything you write!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

46. Keith says:

Yeah, maybe I went too far and I apologize for that. But I still don’t like the guy or his writing style. He’s always stiring up S**t.

47. habsgod says:

HAPPY THANKSGIGVING TO ALL MY FELLOW HABS FANS ON THIS SITE! get to enjoy my birthday today knowing that we are 1-1 and on the season ,and we should be 2-0 we will be 2-1 on wednesday after we our home opener against the lightning!thit will be another belated birthday gift from my canadiens! i love the way price has played,cammalleri is the man(and my favorite current hab),ellar looks awseome,p.k. will win rookie of the year handsdown, i also think that cammy and pleks are 1 of best duo’s in the league.

48. Danno says:

Todd lost me when he started saying you shouldn’t say “we” when talking about the Habs as in “we” beat the Penguins on Saturday.  Then he wrote that piece saying it’s okay to boo Carey Price after his first pre-season game and I thought that was a bit mean-spirited on his part. But to each his own I guess.

49. joeybarrie says:

Turkey stew??? You have captured my attention even more than Jack Todd. What is in this Turkey Stew of yours?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. joeybarrie says:

I agree with everything you said except for the GOOD WRITER. I actually think he sucks. It’s filled with nonsense and he is uninformative. As you said its an opinion. If I wanted a crappy opinion in a funny style I would watch Don Cherry. For me Todd misses the mark, and continues to use controversial topics to garner attention.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. Danno says:

Check out the NHL Channel (free preview until Oct. 24) has the following today…

The Blues (and you-know-who in nets) against the Ducks this afternoon. 2:00 Montreal time.

Other games include: Rangers/Isles, Bruins/Coyotes, Penguins/Devils, Hawks/Sabres, Avs/Flyers, Panthers/Canucks.

Also available on your PC from this site.

52. joeybarrie says:

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. Bill says:

There are two groups who don’t like Todd: coworkers and readers. Coworkers know him and have their own reasons, and I assume some of them like him and some don’t. Maybe he’s a jerk or something, how would I know? I’m a reader and, just based on what he writes, I don’t see the problem. It’s the same old thing. There is a strange group of fans who think that to love the team you have to love all the players, all the coaches, and the entire management team … and you have to love all of them all of the time.

The Habs may be a religion to some, but Gauthier is not God, Martin is not the pope, and it’s Carey Price, not Jesus Price, as I’m sure he’d like us to know. It’s not rude to critique or analyze – though it obviously can be done rudely, which is detestable – and in fact trying to figure out how the team might improve is a big part of the fun.

Todd didn’t say “Price didn’t suck”. He said Price was so-so in Toronto and tremendous in Pittsburgh. I’d basically agree with that. I’d add that the Toronto loss certainly wasn’t his fault, just to be clear. Overall, I think the assessment was reasonable, at any rate, and coming from Todd, an on-the-record Halak fan who thinks the Habs kept the wrong goalie, it shows he is at least fair-minded.

Then there is Todd’s writing style, which I would describe as a highly-caffeinated, staccato approach to sports journalism. It’s not for everyone, obviously, but at least it’s clear and to the point. It’s an opinion column, so expect opinions, you know? Hey, he’s no Mike Boone … but he’s still good writer :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. Jbird says:

Shows he made a smart choice at one time in his life.

55. TOEmastro says:

Socialist is just a commie with a job! j’accuse!

56. Mike Boone says:

I’m a raving socialist. Wanna make something out of it?

57. Mike Boone says:

Nebraska

58. Propwash says:

Turkey tastes better. Penguins taste like whine.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

59. fbkj says:

?

im no fan of todd but thats pretty low, especially in hindsight… avoiding a war if youve enlisted is one thing… but these were entirely different circumstances…

60. shootdapuck says:

Draft dodger and a raving socialist!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

61. Keith says:

And a Draft Dodger too. What does that tell you about his character.

62. notbigbird says:

He seems to be able to get out of a muddle and find plan B quite well.

63. Mattyleg says:

The Ballad of Guigui LeGros

A
    Wild ex-Hab, name of Guidoune,

came
    to camp swelled up like a balloon,

both
    his groins, they got strained

and
    his coaches look pained,

and
    his fan club ain’t over the moon.

A
    grinder called Cal Clutterbuck

replaced
    Gui at hoggin’ the puck.

Don’t
    your heart give a wrench

now
    Gui’s warming the bench?

Nah, we Habs fans just don’t give a…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. sholi2000.com says:

And this is where I stopped reading Todd’s article.

Two nights after a decidedly so-so outing in Toronto, Price came up
    with a superb effort against the Penguins. Better still, he got the
    win.

Happy Thanks Giving Day, we had our supper yesterday, so today I make my famous Turkey stew!!

They Call Me Shane

65. RGM says:

Nebraska, sayeth the Wikipedia.

66. SmartDog says:

A smart and skilled player like Subban is extremely coachable. He just needed to WANT to spend more time in his end.

In fact, Subban IS a thoroughbred.  That’s exactly what it is, you don’t need to movitate him, you just point him at a situation and now and then reign him back from destroying it with too much power.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

67. Mattyleg says:

Yes, he’s American. Don’t remember where from.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. SmartDog says:

Pretty sure Todd IS American.

Reminds me of a marketing buddy of mine. (I’m also in marketing.) Nothing he does is at all subtle. His pitch is always “CHEAPER, BETTER, & FASTER”!!!  LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

69. habs03 says:

Thanks for the link, I knew he wasn’t as bad in his own end as some people made him to be, but I never expected him to be this good right away on D, he uses his body  to protect the puck so well, and I love how he just flips the puck high in the air to clear the zone at times.

70. Curtis O Habs says:

Good point.  He seemed the need to remind the reader that the flyers eliminated the habs last spring.  Would anyone reading the article not know that?

I have watched him develop for years, and use to laugh at all the comments about him being a liability in his own end. He is so quick that he can play in both ends at the same time.

We are witnessing the start of our next super star in the hockey mecca city of Montreal.! I knew it 5 years ago.

Check this out..  rookie list

72. habs03 says:

I’m amazed by how good Subban has been in his own end, this guy can reallly play in his own end. I can’t wait for Markov and Hamrlik to be back so Picard and O’B can join Darche fulltime in the pressbox.

73. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I hadn’t read Todd for a while, and only started looking at it again before the season started. I’ve noted people disliking his work, and didn’t have an opinion either way. Reading it, I see what looks like a US talk show approach to the subject – anger people, and wind up the already irrationally angry. That ought to sell around hockey in Montreal!

So Gui is a fat slacker destined to play on a line with Kyle Wellwood. Maybe when he retires, he can come back home and run a gym, with an attached hair cutting salon to be run by Sergei K.

74. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

They made a huge mistake letting Johnny Oduya and Paul Martin go.

Volchenkov is a solid shutdown d-man but he cannot create any offensive chances. Tallinder, I thought, was a decent signing.

75. adam76 says:

Come on HIO!  Posting a “suck a clock” vid?  Lets keep it classy.

76. SeriousFan09 says:

Tallinder’s a decent signing but for your 2nd pair , Volchenkov can pair with a puck-mover and give him the impact play, I swear if we had Volchenkov paired with Markov… Oh we’d have teams needing to change their underwear going across our blue line but Volchenkov doesn’t have an ace puck-mover to balance out.

Oduya was part of the neverending price for Kovy II and Martin, well he saw his chances being a lot better with a rising PIT than a fading NJ, can’t fault him for that.

77. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good post, bud.

Oh, you betcha Randy Carlyle will be in trouble if this continues.

They’ve scored 2 goals and allowed 13 in 3 games.

I don’t like their decision of playing Cam Fowler this year, should’ve played in minors for a year, but given their depth issues on D, it’s understandable.

They really miss Scottie Niedermayer.

78. Xtrahabsfan says:

Whats that you say …2 -3  goals in 6 periods for Halak? Ya what a fluke .Blues just beat Philly and Ducks to start season 2 -0-0=4 pts….

79. SeriousFan09 says:

No good afternoon games by Habs? Ahem. Losin’ the memory in old age are we :p

I hope the Ducks get it going soon, I know Koivu’s going to always be a guy who will go all-out for wins but he shouldn’t have to be that guy at this point in his career for a team. Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan need to prove they’re worth 16 million on that top line.

80. TomNickle says:

Yep….and only 80 games left in the regular season.

Give him the Vezina already!

81. Xtrahabsfan says:

Was that vid directed at Pricebots?;)

82. SeriousFan09 says:

It is a titanic, beyond all-measures effort to stop 13 of 14 shots in a game your team outshoots the opposition 53-14.

83. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well, it IS Sean Avery.. so I guess there are a few exceptions ;)

84. TOEmastro says:

to be fair, that could mean anything

Olé, olé, olé oleé

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Fowler’s in ANA for the same reason Dmitri Kulikov got rushed out of the Q after last year’s draft for FLA, broke-ass sunbelt teams need puck-movers.

86. Exit716 says:

The Blues need all the fans they can get. Go cheer for St. Louis. We won’t miss you.

87. deuce6 says:

LOL..Halak is a good goalie, but the way the Blues handed the Ducks their bills today, they could have hung a jersey on the net and still won..

I watched the game and half way through the 3rd, STL had a 46-10 shot advantage…I guess that was all Jaro, though..

88. larisalapointe says:

Not worth commenting

89. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha very true. And man that just reminded me – approx. 2 weeks left before Markov returns to the line-up.

90. adam76 says:

Price was the right choice.  Did you know Price is 16 months younger then Halak?  Did you know that Price is taller?  Has better hair?

91. ZepFan2 says:

“Lets keep it classy.”

That would mean you have to go.

Buh-bye!

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

92. TomNickle says:

The NHL ruling on the a Devils cap circumvention isn’t only a slap in the face to a man who helped shape the “new NHL” that Bettman so eagerly desired, but yet another ridiculous inconsistency in the NHL’s disciplinary processes that make the league office so easy to dislike.

Ultimately, a great number of players, coaches, fans and executives were punished for something they had no control over and an organization that certainly won’t be controlled by their current GM will have to deal with the consequences.

Complete garbage.

As for Volchenkov with a puck mover, yeah.  Ditto

93. adam76 says:

Oh dude, “epic” burn.

94. larisalapointe says:

Not only that, he’s way more talented.

1-800-HELP-TROLL

95. LA Loyalist says:

I am losing my memory. I put a bag of flour in the fridge the other day. I have no idea where my night-driving glasses are.

Yes, they need to get it going. The problem with parity and so many 4 point games it doesn’t take much to get in a big hole. Those 5 or 6 games they lost right after the Olympics last year proved their undoing even though they were playing great near the end.

Same thing this year, and for us, also. Nobody can afford to drop even 3 or 4 games in a row.

Koivu has been great. And you’re absolutely right he should be able to enjoy himself without having to carry the team.

I’m going to watch their next couple of games more closely and see how things look.

I still have a picture or two to post for you from meeting Koivu – I’ve not forgotten that. :)

Happy Thanksgiving. I forced my wife and kid to have turkey last night. They think I’m weird.

96. SeriousFan09 says:

Penguins 1st win coming against a NJD team dressing 15 players due to injuries and cap crunch.

97. TomNickle says:

We may be laughing at the expense of those Penguins today, but they’re gonna be a really tough out in April.

Much better on defense and much more talent flanking their centremen this season.

98. fbkj says:

he also earns less money, thus enabling us to sign plekanec, avoiding the threat of lapierre being our second line center

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Doesn’t take long to get in a hole, NJD are looking at 0-2-1 and they can’t afford for Brodeur to be off to a slow start with PIT, PHI and a potentially stronger NYR squad in the division. MTL will also need to prove their mettle against the TBL this Wednesday to stay ahead of the game, albeit if Hamrlik is back in the lineup we enjoy a nice edge on the defensive line and goaltending.

Koivu, I just hope he can land on a Contender before he’s done, that guy deserves a proper Cup run, brings it harder than almost anyone and is .89PPG in playoffs.

Thanks btw, My Thanksgiving involved 1240 KM round-trip between Brantford and Montreal to see the family for a couple days and we skipped the Turkey this year and went with Duck. Turkey 20+ years in a row, just gets montonous doesn’t it ;) Double-dipping on the Thanksgiving eh? Better spend some extra time skating with your kid to burn it off :p

100. LA Loyalist says:

sarcasm alert!

sarcasm alert!

101. ZepFan2 says:

Compared to what? The “nonsense” you post!?

Still here?

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

102. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends how Tangradi handles his first NHL season and Comrie, well he’s a wee bit of a headcase at times, more concerned when Staal gets back really because while not that good, he’s still 2x as good as any of Malkin’s usual linemates. Michaelek for PIT has a potential seperated shoulder from today’s match though, could cost them for a while losing one of their main upgrades on  D. Cammy can still kill ‘em and Lapierre, Subban just drive those guys off their games.

Right now, I think the Habs need to test the rest of the division, haven’t played BOS, BUF or OTT squad-on-squad and the Division title is on the line, need to do better than win 8 of 18 games against them and 5 of those being against BOS which I don’t think will happen with the addition of Horton and Seguin.

103. habsgod says:

lapierre wouldn’t have been the second line center ,i still believe we would’ve got ellar in a price deal too ,so he would’ve been the second line center

104. krob1000 says:

Same old PEns team….add Jordan Staal and then their usual deadline winger and they are instantly a force again.

105. TomNickle says:

Moving Malkin to the wing was the right move immediately.

Tangradi will be fine.  He’s going to be a very good pro.  He won’t wear down as the season goes along and he has a scoring touch to go with his edge.

Comrie is his usual self.  He’ll be inconsistent, but useful.

Their team is going to be a lot better in my opinion.

Michalek and Martin are huge additions in the long run.

106. Duracell3 says:

Man, the Ducks are BRUTAL. Good to see Koivu and Halak doing well though.

107. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

In 2 games, Halak has faced 44 shots.

Price has faced 62. Defence has been a factor, bud.

Good for Jaro though, I wish him a very successful year in St. Louis.

108. TomNickle says:

Martin, Michalek and Tangradi make a big difference in my opinion.

Dustin Jeffrey may end up being a big addition later on in the year too.

109. adam76 says:

If you play dark side of the moon with game 4 of the 1976 Stanley cup finals, the two totally sync up.  For realz.

110. adam76 says:

It was about a million difference – both could have been signed.

111. krob1000 says:

On D they added Martin and MIchalek but lost Gonchar…who was their Markov.  I take those as wash….as Gonchar even hobbled and old is better than Martin….MIchalek helps but those arent hgue improvements to me when you lose Gonchar. Tangradi is going to be a keeper….not sure how much of a diff maker he’ll be this year though.  Mst be nice to have that much talent up the middle that they can just randomly add guys to the lineup and it just works.

112. Danno says:

There’s no guarantee Halak would have signed with Montreal for the same amount that he did with St. Louis.

113. fbkj says:

“lapierre wouldn’t have been the second line center” okay this sounds pretty absolute… lets continue reading “i still believe we would’ve got ellar in a price deal too” mmmmmm this is a tad less absolute…

now even if this would have panned out, plekanec being replaced by ellar, at this juncture, is a bad move…

he didnt have a guaranteed spot going into trading camp

114. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends on team strategies, it only took so long for the super-line in OTT of Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley to lose their magic as the NHL figured out how to freeze them out, one can imagine a lot of teams studied the game videos of the Habs-Penguins series on how the Canadiens focused in and shut down Crosby and Malkin. Pens need wingers to finally start lifting some weight or they’ll get frustrated more often in the long run.

115. fbkj says:

Only when you do the math in hindsight

at the time many were wondering if we could sign pleks and EITHER goalie

116. king ddd says:

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

117. joeybarrie says:

Obviously you didn’t see the game today. Good for Halak, but I could have beaten Anaheim today in the St. Louis goal. They almost had more goals than Anaheim had shots…

Price has a .919 SV% and we are missing half our defense. Give it a rest dude, your gettiing pretty pathetic.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

118. ZepFan2 says:

And there it is…nonsense.

But, that’s how you “roll”, eh.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

119. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL Gamecenter offering FREE access for tonight’s matches!!!

Go to NHL.com and enjoy some high-quality broadcasts.

120. joeybarrie says:

Guess you didn’t notice how we only have 700k in cap space… EXACTLY HOW COULD WE HAVE SIGNED PLEKS AND HALAK??? HOW WOULD YOU COME UP WITH THIS EXTRA 300K??? Oh that’s right. JUST BECAUSE WE THINK IT, ia can OBVIOUSLY happen… Thats how ARMCHAIR GM’s work… That’s why our GM’s first name isnt TONY.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

121. fbkj says:

this is without signing halpern, but yeah, tading halak sucked, but it gave us more options than trading price…

if the money was there, they would have signed halak, but here we are…

122. adam76 says:

Free till the 24th, the quality is streets ahead.

123. adam76 says:

Do you really believe the only reason Halak isn’t in Montreal is because of the cap?  Things could have been restructured to allow both Pleks and Halak to stay.

124. adam76 says:

Lots of great NHL players don;t have the brainpan to play in Montreal.

125. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s not working though, I registered for the free trial and it’s still telling me to pay up when I try and watch.

126. fbkj says:

well look at how it went down, total buyers market goaltending wise, not so much top six forward, you got one guy who could go to arbitration, one guy who cant and another guy who could walk entirely… trading halak we can debate back and forth if it was the best move but its obvious it was a pre-emptive move before their negotiating options start being dictated by the market… its easy to say “trade halak bad! price sucks!”

but its also lazy and without thought

127. Bill says:

Probably you feel that way because every bum the Habs trade comes back to Leclair us over and over again. Every team the Habs play it seems some ex-hab is there on the scoresheet. The first game, for instance, Komisarek and Grabovski both picked up assists.

That said, I am not too worried about D’Agostini. I actually hope he has a successful career, as he always tried his best in Montreal. I feel less charitable towards Latendresse, who slept through games (once nearly literally) with the Habs, then turned into Cam Neely after being traded to Minny. What a maroon.

I also wish the best to Saku, Tanguay, Begin, Lang, Higgins, Kostopoulous, Metro, Chipchura, Streit, Halak and a whole bunch more.

Full Breezer 4 Life

128. adam76 says:

I purchased last season, no regrets.  Worth the 160 dollhairs – and cheaper then upgrading to digital cable.  I do my hockey on the PC, and torrent everything to one of these:

129. SeriousFan09 says:

Short on funds currently, but I’ll see if I can have my family toss in and make it my Christmas gift. Outstanding quality I must say, nice for my 22″ LCD monitor to not feel like it’s a 1970s TV.

130. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Exactly! Same here!

131. Danno says:

SF, Try calling your signal provider. They will probably flick a switch and give you your free trial over the phone.

132. PrimeTime says:

same old same old……why not change your handle to either Xtrahalakfan or Xhabsfan. You add nothing hockey related to any thread.

133. joeybarrie says:

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR NHLGAMECENTER….  They trick you into a free trial. Then you already agreed to a full year. THEN, you already agreed to a renewal, and you can ONLY cancel at certain times. SUCH A DIRTY tactic. DONT DO IT…. THEY SUCK…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

134. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t actually own a TV right now, everything’s off my PC.

Working now anyway, I guess it just takes a little bit for the account to activate.

135. fbkj says:

agreed i signed up like two years ago and still havent figured out how to cancel, sent a few emails, no avail, then i forget about it then im on the road and realize i still have an account and use it to watch an odd game, then get mad realizing im still paying for this, then try and cancel

rinse repeat

sigh

136. LA Loyalist says:

… and no way can Halak ride a horse OR rope a calf. It’s the little things that count.

“I thought we were discussing waitresses on Bishop St.”

137. fbkj says:

i get it you live in the states where spouting out things like this counts as slanderous fun for some bizarre reason, but who cares… thibault played the drums, brisebois raced cars, kovalev flew planes, shanahan volunteered for the fire department… people in this world do things… get over it it only makes you look creepy

138. saskhabfan says:

More like 21 months but as usual i always have to prove you wrong. Perhaps halak should not have demanded a trade through the media if he really wanted to stay so bad. At least price didn’t demand a trade no matter how badly the fans and media treated him,he’s the one who commited to a 2 year deal while halak hid behind his agent. So who is the better team player,the one who gets his agent to twitter a trade demand through the media and probably causing dressing room distractions in the process or the one who agreed to a 2 year deal knowing he is going to scrutinized the entire time? No brainer.

139. LA Loyalist says:

Geez, not to always pick on you, Tom, but Price fans are like the CBC on election night – they vote in Newfoundland and you call the election before the rest of the country has even voted.

Price played a good game against Pittsburgh – a game we would have lost 2-1 if not for Cammi and a VERY lucky goal by Gomez.

He made a great stop on Malkin and some great glove saves I only saw on replay, but I feel much more optimistic than I did in training camp.

But I wouldn’t plan the parade just yet. And no reason to make snotty comments about Halak, he left it all on the ice for us here in Montreal and deserves better from the fans which I presume includes you.

call to complain: 1-800-DETH-THRET

140. saskhabfan says:

We both know it has nothing to do about riding a horse but who is riding it. If it was halak doing something that could be considered any kind risk the whiners would say its ok. The ones who are bitching that halak is gone seem to forget he asked to be traded.

“maybe i did,maybe i didn’t” -jaro halak when asked if he demanded a trade.

141. saskhabfan says:

Halak isn’t here because he asked to be traded,where were you when his agent cowardly twittered halak’s trade demands through the media? What kind of message does this send to the rest of the team? If you don’t like your current role on the team get your agent to demand a trade through the media? If you really think about it what he did doesn’t make him much better then sergei.

142. fbkj says:

thing is i dont mind debating why he was traded, its certainly one with merit, what halak did for the team was simply incredible, but its the pack mentality that is so boring, that if you like option A) then option B) is therefore bad

ive always said that rooting for political parties was akin to rooting for sports teams in some peoples minds… when you throw objectivity out the window, what is the point of debate…

its just sad

143. fbkj says:

halak didnt ask to be traded, thats simplifying things and also making honest debate difficult

he was a soft spoken kid who did a phenomenal job and never complained all that much regardless of what role he was given, its unfair to whitewash his stance based on his agents twittering

i support price and i understand why halak was traded but this too is an unfair spin

144. Number31 says:

St. Louis money here is about 4 million.

145. fbkj says:

i take it you dont actually follow walsh on twitter

he spews nonsense all the time

please dont illustrate his tweets as being some kind of clandestine plan by halak

146. Mattyleg says:

“DAGS got 2 goals today for blues, why do i have a feeling hes gonna pull a last year latendresse.”

What, turn fat and get demoted?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

147. Mattyleg says:

Wow, that’s amazing!

Quick, let’s go back in time, and undo the past!!

Get into your orange jumpsuit, I’ve powered up the energy-tubes!

…I can’t wait for the rest of the season!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

148. B says:

I am curious and have a couple of questions for you:

• How big are the HD downloads for each game? (I currently have a limited number of download GBs per month)
    • Does the picture look good on a big HD TV? Similar to HD broadcasts on cable or satellite?
    • Can you watch the torrent during the game, or do you have to wait until the game / download is over to stream the torrent to your HDTV?
  149. TomNickle says:

That comment was in relation to Jaroslav Halak.  I certainly don’t feel like you’re picking on me.  If you don’t understand the root of the conversation you aren’t much of a threat to debate what I’m talking about now are you.

150. TomNickle says:

I’m much more of a Habs fan than I am any specific player of this team.  They may come and go, but I stay loyal to the team and wish all of its members not named Darcy Tucker all the best.

You assume that my sarcastic comment about Jaroslav Halak’s two goals in two games is some blind vote of confidence in Carey Price.

For somebody who replies to a large majority of my opinions you seem to be forgetting that I’m of the opinion that the quality of our goaltending right now is very close to irrelevant and has been for two years.

Our inability to fill the #3 and #4 spots on defense with adequate personnel is the biggest problem with this organization in my opinion.

But supporting a player who is ridiculed on this site on a daily basis while performing admirably in his job is hardly a vendetta against Halak and even less of a love affair with Price.

Responding to somebody who commented on Halak’s two goals allowed through two games with a sarcastic remark is called for when that goaltenders’ team had nine powerplay opportunities in their first game and only allowed 14 shots the next.  Facts are facts.  Carey Price’s quality of opponent has been stiffer and quality of play in front of him has been lesser.  That’s not making an excuse for Price, because his play hasn’t called for any.  And hasn’t called for any since he got into the National Hockey League.

Halak being better last season didn’t make Price poor.

151. Shiloh says:

If you’re in Ontario there is a provincial law against a “negative option” fee for service. It might cost you $50 for a notarized letter from an attorney, but you may want to do it – and don’t pay them. At some point they will have to talk to you.

152. LA Loyalist says:

Well, I appreciate the considered and thoughtful response. I think we have somewhat different priorities but we are cheering for the same team, after all.

I am cheering for Price, but one game doesn’t make up for 2 years of mediocrity. Hopefully he’s turned the corner and will build on it.

As for the blind optimism towards Eller and Pouliot let’s hope at least one of them comes through, they certainly seem to have the tools, but Eller especially in an unknown and I don’t understand how anyone can have a + or – position on him before Christmas.

I’m with you on building from the D out. I think one of the best things about PK, aside from him being fun to watch, is he gives the opp something to worry about besides Markov (once he’s back) and we REALLY need a Rick Green or Serge Savard (later in the more defensive part of his career) back there. Hammer I think though useful is past his prime.

I think it will be Tinordi, but that’s probably 2 years out and I don’t want him rushed.

anyway, thank you, I think I understand where  you are coming from now and will keep that in mind.

153. larisalapointe says:

I think if Halak had stood on his head all the way to a Stanley Cup, he would not have been traded obviously, and Pleky would have stayed as well. (with all the bonuses paid though, there would have been major dumping of personnel) This team does not have the depth of Chicago to have survived it though.

I crunch numbers for a living and anything is possible.  I believe it was a choice to keep Price based on his future potential which they have said publicly is just around the corner. And yes, they saved money in the meanwhile. PG has said as much. Not to say Halak doesn’t deserve to be a number 1. They both do and it was getting stressful for both goalies, and the public who became divided. Both wanted to play fulltime. A decision had to be made. So in fact both goalies were ready to be traded. What a problem to have? 2 great goalies. Some teams don’t even have one.

But how long is it going to take for people to move on?

154. fbkj says:

if your cheering for price why do you go out of your way to put him down at every turn

hell you put him down in between the turns too, you hate the guy and only conscede when you go over the line when someone calls you on it in a way that is fair, meaning, at least to me, you cant or choose not to correct this knee jerk reaction on your own…

155. fbkj says:

thats different circumstances

having won the cup, losing pleks wouldnt have hurt as much imo

were not far off in opinions

156. HFX-HabFan says:

Eller isn’t an unknown if you follow the entire league.  He was one of the best rookies in the AHL last year, playing on a lousy Blues affiliate, and was taken in the first round of the ’07 draft.  Along with Boedker, he is arguably the best young hockey talent Denmark has ever produced.

157. larisalapointe says:

Losing pleks would be a disaster. Ppl criticized him alot last playoffs but the guy was everywhere doing everything.

If the team had a few more like him, we wouldn’t be discussing goaltending ad nauseum.

158. fbkj says:

i meant in the glow after a cup win, losing pleks, would not have had such outrage, as losing halak would have

but agreed and my point all along is that pleks is WAY harder to replace than halak

159. larisalapointe says:

LA man come out of the closet already. If you supported Price, you would never call his performances mediocre.

160. shootdapuck says:

If they don’t have a CC number it will be difficult for them to do anything.

The “Free” Game Center registration does not require a CC.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

161. Everlasting1 says:

You’re the most insincere and hypocritical one here. You run your mouth up until last season’s playoffs, and disappear thru the entire playoff run. You continue to run your mouth again after the ‘trade’, and after every Price ‘win’. So transparent..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

162. larisalapointe says:

We’re on the same page.

163. Everlasting1 says:

Same page diff book.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

164. larisalapointe says:

Both books are about loving the Habs and supporting them.

165. fbkj says:

how are they different books we expressed ourselves basically the same way, without much differential and have reached the same conclusion…

you are the one who is the diff book, living in toronto :)

166. fbkj says:

no no same book

same page

same home

167. larisalapointe says:

Thanks!

168. Everlasting1 says:

Once again you misinterpret. Diff book than others’, such as myself.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

169. fbkj says:

once again your asking quebeccers to beg for you to speak english

think about how epic that is

so i will ask resoundingly

HUH?

you declared that someone i agreed with, that we were on the same page but a different book, you didnt say you were diff book

you said we were!

scroll up if you think im bullshitting!

170. TomNickle says:

I disappear through the entire playoff run?

You’ve proven once again that you know not of what you speak.

171. Everlasting1 says:

What part of my french don’t you understand?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

172. Everlasting1 says:

Tell that to the tourists.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

173. TomNickle says:

Are you drunk?

174. fbkj says:

the whole what the fuck it is your trying to say part

175. Jbird says:

DAGS is not fat.

176. Jbird says:

Most trades do not come back to haunt.  Ribireo is the ultimate positive: negative by subtraction!   Higgins. Courtnall. . . . . some though . . . . .DAGS is gunna be good.  .The Sault!

177. Everlasting1 says:

D’Agostini rips one lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

178. Shiloh says:

I think he was accusing Avery of being a pecker puffer – not that there’s anything wrong with that.

179. petrov14 says:

D’Agostini? Really? Nice shot…..

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

180. andrewberkshire says:

Anaheim needs a better defense corps. This is ridiculous. Hiller is left out to dry every game, and only Visnovsky can bring the puck out of the zone. If D’agostini scores something is wrong.

181. spos080808 says:

“It took a pair of bizarre goals 24 seconds apart, but Price deserved this one after a performance that was worthy of Jaroslav Halak”

This is the problem with the Montreal media. What a joke!

182. TomNickle says:

That team has a slim to none chance at prolonged success.  Two blue chip prospects and one of them couldn’t beat out Yannick Weber for icetime at the Olympics.  The other has serious defensive and toughness question marks, and is a defenseman himself.

Future is not very bright in Duckland.

183. oshawahabsfan says:

Holy Montreal connections Batman! Koivu scores, Chipchura fights, D’Agostini scores, Mara fights

184. Danno says:

And Thingamabobbin in nets. Who must be bored silly with only 8 SOG.

185. RGM says:

Mike Cammalleri begs to differ – he figures that Price’s performance was worthy of Price. Guess whose word I value more?

186. andrewberkshire says:

I wouldn’t go that far at all. In fact I’d say their future is quite bright with a top line set for years that’s among the best in the NHL and a solid clutch goaltender. What they need is an ownership group willing to spend to the cap to improve the team.

187. TomNickle says:

So they have one forward line and…………….?

Sbisa and Fowler

And Hiller.

And they’ve had 5/6 of this for over three years.

They’ve done nothing to build and improve their team over the long haul in the last 4-5 years.

188. habs03 says:

ahaha I love James Wisniewski, I wish we had him instead of Spacek.

189. andrewberkshire says:

They also have players like Emerson Etem and Peter Holland coming through.

190. TomNickle says:

Andrew, seriously.  They have zero organizational depth.  Quite close to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to a bright future.

Their division rivals specifically are light years ahead of them when it comes to upcoming talent and current roster and franchise depth.

Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix and Dallas.

They are in for a rough half decade.  Maybe longer.

Nothing wrong with Wisniewski calling Avery a gobbler for Thanksgiving. It’s all in the holiday spirit.

192. oshawahabsfan says:

Yeah I didn’t think saying Halak makes a save would go with the other events haha, although with the little amount of work he’s had, it almost would

193. larisalapointe says:

On another note, I really like Darren Dreger….he seems to call it as he sees it without bias.

And Subban is the bundle of joy we have all been waiting for.  hahahaha

194. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Holy cow…I thought Andrew was exaggerating – but then I looked at the boxscore of the Blues-Ducks game.

Shots are 46-9 in favour of St. Louis with 12 minutes left. 46-9!

Holy F…flying donkey!

195. TomNickle says:

He took Tomas Kaberle in the TSN insiders fantasy draft.

I can assure you he has a bias.  I can’t say whether or not it’s personal, but if it isn’t, it’s professional.

196. Propwash says:

Als spanked the Stamps 46-19

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

197. larisalapointe says:

I guess he has to please his bosses. lol

I’ll rephrase, one of the least obnoxious.

198. observer says:

In 1956 at McGill Stadium the Montreal Alouettes defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 82-14, seven days later in Hamilton the Tiger-Cats beat the Alouettes 50-14. A swing of 104 points.

In 2010 at McMahon Stadium the Calgary Stampeders at home defeated the Montreal Alouettes 46-21,today, ten days later in Montreal the Alouttes beat the Stampeders 46-19. A
    swing of 52 points.

199. TomNickle says:

I think you might qualify as over analytical.

You should analyze that statement.

200. observer says:

Of course! Players on other teams are so discouraged as they know Halak will just knock away any shots they direct on the St. Louis net so why waste your energy and why bother shooting?

201. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha so true!

But seriously the Ducks D is beyond pathetic – Jaroslav Spacek is a Norris candidate compared to them.

202. observer says:

??????? Why have you ever seen such a big reversal in the next meeting the next game between 2 teams as the 1956 one? This one today was huge and only half the reversal of that one. BUT when you see a team blowout another team – everyone says “we killed them” – so next time they meet “oh we are much better than them” YES! Me posting that destroys the simpleton that calls itself a fan!!!!! I understand why it upsets you.

203. Harani says:

Shots are 50-12 for the Blues…is Anaheim that bad?

“It must be love!”

204. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hiller got pulled after allowing 4 goals on 34 shots.

Don’t know why – he’s not to blame.

Shots are 52-14 now…

205. TomNickle says:

Upset me?

You’re a very confused person.

I made a joke.

206. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

2 goals for D’Agostini.

207. TomNickle says:

He’ll get another seven in the next 10 games and follow that up by going pointless in the next 40 ;)

208. observer says:

Blues look like they’re going to have a great year. Picture it – Just like the first 2 years after NHL expanded Habs vs. Blues in Stanley Cup finals.

209. Harani says:

Devils icing 9 forwards against the Pens. That’s just bad!

“It must be love!”

210. sholi2000.com says:

Horrible defense on that team.  They obviously had no interest in playing today.

Oh I love center Ice!

They Call Me Shane

211. TOEmastro says:

What a SH** kicking in St.Louis, and they salute the crowd. awesome

212. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Ouch, not a good way to start the season for Martin Brodeur. 0-1-1, 5.29 GAA and a .813 save %.

His team’s not helping either.

213. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That would be awesome and I betcha that series would skyrocket the TV ratings of the channel that will preview them.

214. Slovak says:

Blues look like they are running on atom energy… I wish Habs play like this against weaker teams… especially against Leafs

215. Everlasting1 says:

Really impressed by this Blues squad. They seem like a well rounded, well coached and disciplined team. Not to mention exciting to watch.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

Unlike Mario Tremblay their coach knows when enough is enough. It’s to spare the goalie.

217. TomNickle says:

Good time to tell your team that you aren’t going to put your goalie through hell.

99 times out of 100 the goalie getting yanked is a message to the team, not to the goalie.

218. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good point – makes a lot more sense.

219. RGM says:

Is this a consequence of their horrible cap management?

220. SeriousFan09 says:

Lou hasn’t acquired any blue-chip D talent since Rafalski and Niedermayer departed and he hasn’t addressed the issue of future goaltending. The guy doesn’t even care what happens after him anymore, Brodeur retires, I’d bet does Lou.

221. SeriousFan09 says:

Ouch, but accurate remembering his Habs tenure.

222. SeriousFan09 says:

I hope the Ducks do something soon, Getzlaf is going to screw me in two pools, I know Koivu’s going to bust his *** and come through where I have because he’s used to lifting mediocre teams but Getzlaf isn’t an every-night player. That and Hiller’s my top goalie in Storm Man’s ESPN League, I’m going to get killed there if this doesn’t turn around and Dipietro doesn’t have the common courtesy to go on IR so I can use Roloson.

223. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Saku is their best player right now. 2 goals in 2 games.

He is the only one creating any sort of offensive chances.

224. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

They need to ink a starting goaltender.

Brodeur isn’t getting much help – there is no ‘defensive’ system with the arrival of new coach.

He’s old plus he can’t handle playoffs on top of playing 70+ games each year.

That’s why they choke in first round of the playoffs every time.

His back-up is a 37 year old Hedberg. There’s a goaltending issue in NJ.

225. SeriousFan09 says:

They just don’t have any good defencemen, it’s fine to open up your offensive game if you have some top Ds to cover things up and control it from the back end. Older Brodeur who never really had to stand on his own thanks to The Stevens/Niedermayer/Super Trap era and it’s a recipe for early collapses.

NJ’s management just doesn’t give a crap anymore, they just keep betting it all on #30 each season and expecting their luck to change around.

226. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s Saku for you, everything through sheer force of will.

227. LA Loyalist says:

It was a good move to pull Hiller, it’s not a question of fault – when the team doesn’t show up you don’t want your goalie to take a psychic beating or risk injury when the game is out of reach.

If Roy had been pulled in that fateful game against Detroit the history of The Montreal Canadiens would have evolved entirely differently – not to bring up a horrible topic.

And afternoon games are weird – I can’t remember an afternoon game where Habs played well. I don’t know what it is with some teams.

Certainly Ducks have some problems on D and were thinking the offense would carry them. I wonder if the coach will be on thin ice if they don’t get it together by the 5th or 6th game?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

228. LA Loyalist says:

do you remember those “total points” CFL home and away playoff games? They used to have some bizarre point swings, too.

But that’s Canadian football and that’s why we love it!

229. Slovak says:

Watch Halak today, last game with Flyers there were some people from Montreal in the crowd…

PS: This is the only site where people discuss every single word towards their beloving team – even from the clown like Cherry…more than 200 hits unbelieveable…:))

Relax :)

230. nightmare_49 says:

S – I’ll certainly will be tempted to switch from the Als game to Saku’s Ducks play Jaro’s Blues at 2:00pm on the free preview.

Jaroslav Halak is already huge in St. Louis. [BND]

231. SeriousFan09 says:

Saku Saku Saku… Sorry Jaro but I have Getzlaf and Saku in a couple pools so you’re goin’ down.

232. nightmare_49 says:

The Edmonton Oilers were very fortunate last night as their three goals were all tip ins and they only muster 13 shots at home compared to 28 by the Panthers, besides the fact that the Horcoff goal looked like it was kicked in.

The Oilers have few forwards that know what they are doing in their own end, that combined with a porous D will send Khabibulin on the vodka.

233. Danno says:

I hear Guimauve Tenderness has perfected his famous wrap-around.

Wrapping his lips around Pepsis, pogos and poutine.

234. habstrinifan says:

Leave it to Lats to find a good ‘poutine’ joint in Minny.

235. Malreg says:

“Wrapping his lips around pepsis”

Did anyone else read that in the wrong way?

236. SmartDog says:

LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

237. adam76 says:

Watchng this roster take shape, how good would Moore look on this team?  Gauthier has done an outstanding job helping rebuild Tampa Bay.

Wednesday will tell a lot on how this team will preform.  Does Price have the mental ability to play at home in a hostile environment?

238. Mike Boone says:

The Bell Centre is a “hostile environment”?

239. SeriousFan09 says:

Moore’s a plug player in the NHL and we seem to have several players filling in rather well for his job, Boyd and Halpern are both doing his job quite nicely as the situation calls for it.

Tampa Bay is where they are thanks to the Welfare NHL system that benefits a loser, hence their access to Stamkos, Hedman and the reason they got Lecavalier in ’98. Their defence is still thinner than MTL’s is even with our injuries right now and their checking lines are maybe half as capable as MTL’s. That first PP unit may be hellish but MTL boasts one of the best PK units in the league at the same time.

240. aemarchand11 says:

About as good as Halpern?

2010-2011

241. pmaraw says:

are you mad? did you go out and buy a habs moen jersey?

242. Bill J says:

To those who replied to this post, allow me to shed some light on adam & his posts.

Timo has Adam pegged!

243. JF says:

Jack Todd (whom I usually ignore) mentions Mike Cammalleri’s refusal to comment on the actions which led to his suspension.  I admit I was surprised by his taciturnity when the suspension was announced.  I had expected him to offer some sort of apology, to say that he regretted his actions, and that as a veteran he should have kept his emotions in check.  My computer was down last week, so I don’t know if there was any discussion about this on HIO, but I was disappointed in Cammalleri.  I can understand that he was bitter about not playing in the opener, but I think that both his actions on the ice and his reaction suggest a degree of selfishness.  I love Cammalleri and I don’t at all endorse allegations out of Calgary last year that he is a selfish player, but I think the Habs made the right decision in not making him captain.  He obviously had a hot temper which he needs to control.  Hopefully this incident will help him to do that and to focus on what he does best, scoring goals.  I like his reaction when he scores; his face expresses determination rather than triumph – determination to go out and score another one.

244. larisalapointe says:

Mr. Boone, why did you make me read Jack Todd? lol

245. Mike Boone says:

Hey, no coercion involved. It’s a free country.

246. habstrinifan says:

You know you are a HABS fan when you worry that Latendresse’s season opener goal was his first of fifty and then guiltily return to ‘sly’ smugness when you read that, like Manny, Lats is being Lats.

You know you are a HABS fan when you read rave reviews from Rangers camp re ex habs ,Ryan Mc Donaugh and the other ‘star’  D prospect, and then guiltily breathe a sigh of relief when team 990 takes up a minute in its “20-20 update” to ‘assure’ you that both have been returned to the minors. Which team has a radio station that administers to the psychosis of it’s fans like that eh.

You know you are a HABS fan when you ‘hope to hell’ that it is REALLY early in the season and the two wins by the Leafs dont mean a damn thing… like please please let the leafs SUCK.

You know you are a HABS fan when you read good things about Dominic Moore and Jaro Halak and still feel so appreciative of their playoffs efforts that you kinda dont begrudge them ‘some success’ but please please dont let HALAK shine on the same night that Price… well I better not go there.

You know you are a HABS fan when you feel comfortable to stop having qualms about Ryder scoring in Boston and SK in… where is SK. See! My SK psychosis is completely cured.

You know you are a HABS fan when you feel that Bettman is against the HABS and see irrefutable evidence of that in the schedule. I mean Tampa Bay (Boucher) against the HABS as opening night game. Messiah Boucher who gave us PK and knoweth how to play against him. I feel like Elaine in Seinfeld looking for the sponge… only I am having a hard time finding valium anywhere within 90 minutes of Montreal.

You know you are a HABS fan when you are getting such a hate-on for vegetarians you are beginning to see the protein-rich benefits of cannibalism. I mean name one team, anywhere in the MACHO world of contact sports, whose GM and ‘still on the payroll tough guy’ are so into ’fruits and vegatables’.

You know you are a HABS fan when you couldnt bear to watch the Leafs-Habs game and only dared follow it via Boone’s Game Blog cause you knew in the pit of your stomach that the puny habs would be beaten to a pulp by the ‘truculent’ Leafs goons. They weren’t of course, but they still lost and you avoided going postal by seeing it live. One day, soon, when Markov and Hammer are back and Eller and PK are rookie sensations and Cammy is tearing up the league and Ryan Whyte is up for a ’look see’ and you KNOW that HABS are gonna KICK Leafs butt… then you can grab a beer and watch a Leafs-Habs game without fear of harm to yourself or others. No homo-sapiens were hurt in the creation of this imagery… just Leafs.

247. SmartDog says:

LOL A good read.

And all true!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

248. Danno says:

That was pants-pissingly funny!

249. larisalapointe says:

hahaha, I just thought it was going to be different with him this time. Not your fault, but mine.

250. Jbird says:

Not coerced, but tricked into thinking it would have been worth while reading? This column/blog by Eric Engles would have been a more reputable read to post.  Step your game up Boone! ;-)

251. Mike Boone says:

My man Eric is a fine fellow, but he’s not in Todd’s league.

Which league is that, the Douche League?

253. Danno says:

Penguins devoured. Now on to turkey.

Will it be duck soup for Halak this afternoon?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Who plays the St. L. Blues today.? Is it on the tube?

255. HabFanSince72 says:

The Bell Ctr crowd is  bipolar with attachment issues. One minute they love the players too much, the next they hate them.

If the Habs was a friend and the Habs fans were the girl he’s been dating, we’d advise him to get out of that relationship ASAP.

256. adam76 says:

The bell centre sounds like my first wife.

257. pmaraw says:

I dont know Ian, but I think the duck soup might be a dead giveaway

258. Danno says:

Anaheim at 1:00 Ian.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Dead duck soup, you can’t give it away!

thanks.

thank you sir Danno!

261. Danno says:

Try this Duck Soup.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Your pretty quick my friend. never saw that before.

263. Danno says:

You’re welcome Ian, but I checked and nobody seems to be carrying the game on TV or online. Too bad. Maybe someone out there can find it for us…

264. Danno says:

Ian, a friend at the office took me out for some duck soup last week.

But I got stuck with the bill.

265. Mike Boone says:

But the NHL channel is on Free Preview.

thanks Mike, I’ll check it out

267. DavidKB says:

The game is listed on the following link.

268. Danno says:

Great! I did not know that. Thanks Mike!

269. Danno says:

That would be 2:00 Montreal time…

Rim-shot please!!!

271. SeriousFan09 says:

RW Brendan Gallagher continues to make his case to be a WJC forward by notching his 8th goal in 9GP in the WHL so far this season, he also has 7 assists, if they want to bring along a guy who can score, he’s making an argument to be there.

272. habsfansince91 says:

Can’t tell you how much i appreciate you giving us updates on the prospects everyday. Thanks a lot.

273. Bill says:

On a related note, Louis Leblanc played here in Moncton against the Wildcats on Saturday, and was invisible. I see in the paper that he scored a goal yesterday against the Sea Dogs in St. John though.

Full Breezer 4 Life

274. SeriousFan09 says:

My pleasure, I always find it good to focus on the prospects, they are the future of the Habs after all. Always a good story with these guys as well, Gallagher all of 5’8″ and tearing up the WHL, the roughest junior league there is.

275. SmartDog says:

I love the Ghallagher signing.  I think the kid has it.

The tough thing about focusing on prospects is when they get traded away.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

276. Ayan_SB says:

Tony Marinaro

According
    to my sources expect Montreal Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov to
    return to Habs lineup this Saturday, Oct 16 vs Ottawa.

36 minutes ago

277. SeriousFan09 says:

If true, rock on! Ottawa, you’re getting messed up on Saturday.

278. RGM says:

And on this day, I give thanks.

279. RGM says:

They were just here in Halifax the other day too – because I completely forgot to check the schedule to see when they were coming to town I missed it. But hey, I would have had to miss an exciting evening of….hmmm, what did I even do on Friday? Ah well.

280. SeriousFan09 says:

Wasn’t a good weekend for Louis, an assist on Friday night and a goal on Sunday over a 3 games in 3 night schedule. People need to temper expectations with him. He’s had a couple huge nights in the Q so far but a couple times he’s also been outshined by fellow Habs prospect Phillippe Lefebvre who was undrafted in the same year as Louis but got signed out the 2009 rookie camp.

281. Bill says:

Speaking for myself, I have zero expectations for any skater the Habs draft, so Leblanc won’t feel any pressure from this fan. You couldn’t ice a decent starting five from Timmins’s picks on this squad. Someone scouts the goalies pretty well though.

Full Breezer 4 Life

282. 902Hab says:

I’m sure you didn’t miss much, the moose have been pretty lackluster the past couple seasons.

283. Castor says:

Actually it’s his other son…but I know Tyler and I’ll tell him

284. lefreak says:

tell tyler that i used to enjoy cracking him on the football field.:p

285. fbkj says:

the photoshop gods are crying :(

286. adam76 says:

Nope – Halak.

287. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Buffalo and Ottawa both lose – good news for us.

Buffalo is now 1-2-0 and Sens are now 0-2-1.

288. Chuck says:

Sweet. Now if someone could just beat those darn Leafs!

289. Danno says:

Flyers winning 4-2 a minute to go. :0(

290. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That was a very weak goal let in by Anderson on Carter for the game winning goal. Similar to Gomez’s goal on Fleury.

291. Danno says:

I was thinking the same thing. Too bad. The Avs had momentum until then.

292. HabFanSince72 says:

Chris Lee (how in heck is he still reffing!!!) completely screwed the Avs.

Carter ran into the Avs keeper Anderson, and rightly got goalie interference, called by the other ref. But, out of the blue, Lee decides to give Anderson  2 for diving, eliminating the power play for the Avs with 1:33 remaining.

Thing is, Lee did not call the penalty until the play was blown dead 10 sec later. If there were concurrent minors play should have been stopped right away.

Very fishy.

293. SeriousFan09 says:

Chris Lee making a suspect call? Say it ain’t so!

That call was crap, Carter has arm wrapped around Anderson’s, that was hardly an embellishment, Carter isn’t a small guy and Anderson wasn’t planted.

294. Watsatheo says:

Cammalleri/Nino highstick and slashing incident edited:

295. fbkj says:

the photoshop gods are smiling :)

296. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hahaha! I’d like to play hockey with a lightsaber!

297. avatar_58 says:

Haha awesome

298. RGM says:

Not quite as awesome as the one from last spring, but excellent!

299. Number31 says:

That totally made my day!

300. Dwayne33 says:

I love reading most of  the comments posted on this site. There are some real good points and interesting reads, but unfortunately, there are some annoying and meaningless ones. For example, there are a lot of people who will not let the “Price vs Halak” thing go. I wish people would finally drop this. There is nothing we can do about it. What’s done is done! Our team made their decision, so we all should live with it, and cheer our team on. I wish Montreal would have never traded Patrick Roy, wish they would have drafted Denis Savard instead of Wickenheiser, should have kept John Leclair (he was just hitting his prime), I could go on and on, but what is the point. I love my Habs no matter what. We don’t live in a perfect world, people make mistakes. Our managers and coaches are no different. It is called being human. I have the NHL package and I watch every Montreal game (I have been for the last number of years). Personally, this years team is tremendous and a hell of  a lot of fun to watch. We had a great playoff run last year(I know we all enjoyed it), but I think this years team is even stronger than last years. The core of the team is the same, but we added size and role players in guys like Boyd ,Eller,and Halpern.. A great win against Pittsburgh and if Cammy wasn’t suspended against Toronto we would be coming back to Montreal 2-0. So, I wish more people on this site would cheer and enjoy our team for what it is, instead of what it isn’t!

301. TOEmastro says:

Well said. all that’s left is.. Olé, olé, olé oleé

302. 902Hab says:

I agree 100%. I’m not sure i’ve ever seen a fanbase so divided. It’s almost as if there’s a couple different teams to cheer for. I’ve been a long time reader of this website but held off signing up because I know comments on here will just make my blood boil. Why I caved I dont know but we’ll see how it goes haha.

go habs go!

303. gloveside says:

I agree that it’s well past the time to move on and we should. Just a quick note to say why I think it continues. Being a Habs fan for more than 40 years, I remember a time when we made trades that always worked out for us. You presented quite a list of players you (and all Hab fans) wish we never traded (I could add several to that list). What we, as Hab fans have seen, or rather, haven’t seen, is a trade in which we win it outright or just come out even. It’s been a while since we stole someone from another team and it seems more and more that we end up on the losing end of these trades. Halak is just another in the long line of trades that has a bit of an odour to it. It’s tougher to let go when we’ve seen this before. Just sayin’. Move along, now. Nothin’ to see here.

304. Xtrahabsfan says:

At the same Dwayne ,if Price fails epically bringing the Habs crashing down with him “after all it only been two games “are you saying that all us fans should gladly accept it and not demand changes….I mean after all,they did trade the better tender at this point and for no f’n reason…So we should be accepting sheep ? Is that what you all want ,eh ..Why don’t we give Steve Harper a lifetime contract as King or something while we’re at it,lol Look-it if Price pulls it off ,I’ll be the happiest fan here…I was one of the first who wanted him to replace Huet here,but a lot of stuff has happened since then ,and a lot of gambling as well and if it don’t pan out I demand accountability,the same accountability that’s thrust on you and I for our actions and choices ….I mean really where is it written that in order too be a great fan you have too be Helen Keller or some Disney Lemming bout to cliff dive?eh…… /p>

305. emann_222 says:

Well – I can’t say that I enjoy this extended break between games – especially since we JUST got under way. But the game on Saturday showed a lot of positives. Price being one, and a step-up on defense being the other. Would love to get other’s opinions …

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com