Pat Burns is alive

But not well, as we know.

Burns has been battling cancer.

Numerous Tweets erroneously reported the former coach had died this morning.

Bob McKenzie sets the record straight.

Damien Cox explains how it happened.

1. Bugs says:

I saw the movie “Green Zone” last night. That’s the exact question the reporter-lady (in for Judith Miller) asked Matt Damon when he asked her if she had checked the Pentagon Special Intelligence officer’s story about WMDs. She didn’t. It was the Pentagon, ferpetessakes. And…well…you know how that turned out.

A radical example, I know, but still, I refuse to believe that it’s journalistic POLICY not to check certain stories just because the source is Mr. Big or Mrs. In-the-know.

So yes, you’re supposed to double-check, if not Eklund, then perhaps, oh, I dunno, the Burns family?

I find it odd to have to explain this…

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

My happy hour was a nap after work. After that needed rest a protein drink, a bike ride to the gym, an hour of back and shoulders super-sets and then a bike ride back. That’s a lot of endorphins and serotonin. Much better than alcohol. :)

3. Storm Man says:

The key word was start. I guess your still going strong at happy hour ;)

4. fbkj says:

Lucic and Sturm for Markov, ZOMG?

You seem to forget the 80’s too quickly. You were no punk. You were a mod!!!! Some things never change.

A coin? He’d could be 50/50 that way. Eklund is like 3% accurate or 1 for 33, if that, maybe he’s more like 0.003%. Eklund just says whatever to get attention. Next thing he’ll just be putting a bunch of white space in his articles. ;-)

Eklund Rumour Generator

I thinks thou dost feign indignation too much.

Gender is a reality. Equality isn’t. I am not saying that it is right or wrong I am just pointing out my perception.

As for your other premise, that would make a great Bruno skit. Somebody call Sacha Cohen.

8. Storm Man says:

What does Eklund know? He flips a coin to start a story.

9. Sheldon says:

Watch out boyo! BALLS has been given orders to “Timonize” you! I’d start looking over my shoulders!

10. kordic says:

God Bless You. Thank you for being a wonderful person and hockey guru.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

11. Mike Boone says:

Oh please!

Cliff Fletcher is not some guy in a bar whispering in your ear.

An experienced, respected NHL executive tells a group of reporters that something has happened.

Are they supposed to double-check with Eklund?

12. Bugs says:

Aaahh, the death of journalism, apparently, it’s nobody’s fault that sources aren’t checked and stories not verified anymore.

Got to hand it to Cox though, it’s really hard not to sound stupid when explaining how you screwed the pooch but somehow, he pulls it off.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

13. Storm Man says:

It is common sense for a man to act like a man in a locker room not like a little boy.

14. Storm Man says:

Way too much pubicity on this matter. NCAA football has tons of reporters from major networks in locker roms all the time. I don’t understand why this is such a controversy as a Jet’s player said something about Ines Sainz and it was another reporter that complained about the matter not Ines, Some people take things so damn seriously.

15. Exit716 says:

Just let Cooke fight Evander Kane a few more times.

That was the best fight of last season.

16. Exit716 says:

Gee. I know bloggers get little respect from the Mainstream Media. What about this new mantra of Rush, Report and Retract?

Absolutely sloppy and embarrassing.