Pat Burns is alive

But not well, as we know.

Burns has been battling cancer.

Numerous Tweets erroneously reported the former coach had died this morning.

Bob McKenzie sets the record straight.

Damien Cox explains how it happened.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

I was ill-tempered through most of my life, but you know what? I learned some self-restraint and not to open my smart mouth in every situation. These guys are supposed to be getting ready to be professionals and they should at least be prepared to act like them.

Perhaps the male reporters at the same time should swear an oath that none of them are homosexual? That might be considered inappropriate to have a homosexual reporter in a male locker room as well. Either boot all reporters out of the locker room or skip this gender bias crap. Self-control isn’t impossible.

2. Danno says:

Zinggggggggg!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

When she dresses with restraint then I would imagine the men might be expected to do the same. The bottom line is it’s a men’s locker room. She shouldn’t be in there. No more than a man should be in a women’s locker room. It’s common sense. Expecting men to curb their enthusiasm is a non-starter.

4. Danno says:

If there is such a thing as a Pulitzer Prize for sports writers I think Bob’s piece deserves a nomination.

It really moved me.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. JSP1990 says:

Seriously! And I’m sure you remember all those times when Kovalev would just have his helmet come flying off at the lightest touch. Buckle down the damn strap! And yeah the last thing I thought in OT of the gold medal game is come on Nash knock Backes out! I mean come on. I want this game to be about the skill it takes to play it. Any moron can go out there and punch. Not many can dangle like Cammy!

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Exactly what I thought during the Olympics, extremely entertaining hockey, common-sense stuff like enforced visors and no-touch icing, the IIHF for their own tournaments is now mandating that you can’t play if your helmet comes off so players will have to securely strap them on (a revelation!) Some of the greatest hockey I’ll probably see in my lifetime and the last thing I was thinking was “Man, I hope Backes and Nash fight !”

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Or the men could you know, dig deep down into themselves and behave with an ounce of self-restraint.

8. JSP1990 says:

Sounds like you and I think alike in that guys like Boogaard and Orr are goin the way of the Dodo. Personally, whn me and my Dad watch hockey we prefer the skill and hits to the useless fighting. Especially in the WJC or Olympics where fighting isn’t tolerated. I would rather give a guy like Pyatt a job over Carcillo anyday. Guys like that belong in beer leagues imo.

Women reporters should not be allowed in men’s locker rooms, period. Nothing sexist about that.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh that never gets old.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

IMO, probably because he’d look even dumber if he says “lucky hit” and then Kane just knocks his jaw off next time they meet, he may try and fight again to try and prove it, but saying it and then getting a busted beak or jaw will really be humiliating. I doubt he’d go with Boogaard, “Boogeyman” is there to go at it with guys like Orr. Heavyweights only match with themselves and waste our time doing so in those nothing fights.

12. Rugger says:

I’ve always felt that taking our Cooke etc is the wrong approach.  Take out the equiv. of Savard, say Malkin and maybe Pitt gets rid of Cooke on their own.

13. SLONCOLD says:

love that clip:-)

14. SLONCOLD says:

the way i see it is teh team should inforce a proper dress code when interviewing the team in it’s facilities. That being said, that still does not give the right to men or women to be dis tastefull with remarks or gestures.

could you imagine boone in the borat swim suit? yikes….

15. JSP1990 says:

I’m with you. I’m surprised that Cooke hasn’t already tried to say that it was a lucky punch. I really want round 2 with him and Kane. lol. And him goin up against Boogard, as much as I hate him, would be hysterical. Though of course Cooke is too much of a chicken to do that.

Unfortunatly, I’ve never seen “The Rocket”, but I really want too.

16. habaddict_andy says:

I’m sure internally CTV will make sure the message is heard that they cannot do that if they want to be a trusted broadcasters.  This is a bad publicity for CTV news.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

17. SLONCOLD says:

surprised punks doesn’t show up as *****

18. SLONCOLD says:

don’t worry one day cooke will get what’s coming to him…

19. SeriousFan09 says:

That was the hockey punch of the decade IMO, rookie getting bullied by a punk, floors him when Cooke figured he’d get to just punch the kid around a bit. I hope Kane tunes Cooke up again in the future in case Cooke tries to prove it was a lucky shot.

Man, now I’m having flashbacks of Avery getting leveled in “The Rocket” :-), good times.

20. huge_polar_bear says:

I’m not sure that painting all Montreal journalists out there with the same brush is fair.  Just like in any job there are those who do it right and others that do it wrong.  It is too bad that the latter group is the one that gives the industry a black eye.  It’s the same in every profession, one postal worker goes on a rampage and the expression to this day is “going postal”.  Someone finds documents in a dumpster left by a hospital employee and all of a sudden the privacy minister comes down hard on all hospitals.  I’m sure if you look in whatever field you are in it’s the same thing, the bad apples mess up and the rest of us pay for it…

All that being said what an embarassing day for TSN / CTV…

21. Bill J says:

I could be wrong (after all the post was deleted) by I, like another poster below read it as SD was referring to some of the Posters (fans) here not the HIO Staff.

Hope that adds clarity to your day Mike.

;)

22. JSP1990 says:

I see both sides. It’s not hard for the idiot players to keep their mouths closed, but she’s in there parading around dressed like that in front of football players. What can you expect? Still though, Clinton Portis wasn’t even involved and had to open his mouth to the media wih an idiot comment. I really can’t stand most NFL players.

23. JSP1990 says:

Why does tat not surprise me? lol. Maybe, maybe not indeed! But I would love to see him with the “C”. Even if I was pulling for Cammy. And as for Marc Savard missin camp, ya feel for the guy don’t ya? Can’t stand how dirty Matt Cooke is. There’s no reason to play that way. I hope Evander Kane gets that punk again soon.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Marc Savard will miss training camp as he has been diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and is not fit to play. In the meantime, Cooke will be at the Pittsburgh Tankers camp and is reportedly already excelling at drills for hitting players from behind.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Next thing you know those uppity women folk will be wanting to vote.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

How does “Maybe, maybe not” grab you? Unconfirmed by the Habs but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Chances are Habs leaked that to distract the press from focusing on the goalie situation or La Presse blowing smoke, we’ll know soon enough.

27. cautiousoptimist says:

Well, that’s not fair.  CTV gets things wrong by accident.  FOX distorts the truth on purpose.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  28. light_n_tasty says:

Seriously?  Even if he was talking about the staff at HIO, so what?  Seems like it was an accurate description, judging by your reaction to the post.

29. Anonymous says:

even when they’re playing.

30. JSP1990 says:

So I’m confused…..is Gionta gonna be the Captain or not?

31. Chuck says:

How 19th century of you.

32. LeeFree says:

I had a tear in my eye when CTV aired that last night. Pat and his family have enough on their plate. To see this type of journalism all in the name of earning ‘brownie points’; shame on those who have no feelings of others. Research and facts are the very first things you learn in this profession. Too bad that some will stoop this low!

Bless you, Pat. Prayers are being continued.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m pretty sure SD was talking about the Commentariat and not the Habs I/O Staff.

34. adam76 says:

Women should not be allowed in the locker room, period.

35. mchab33 says:

Off track here but in light of the recent publicity regarding Ines Sainz and her being uncomfortable in the workplace (interviewing naked Alfa male NFL players in their locker room!) due to long gazes and inappropriate comments I was wondering if Stubbs or Boone walked into the Habs dressing room wearing spandex shorts would they be offended by the comments they would endure?

I know I’m not allowed to stay certain stuff at work but the locker room?  I’m not saying the Jets players are in the right but it’s not like it’s Oprah swinging a microphone around here, this lady is a knock out and her attire doesn’t leave much to the imagination.

I say give the guys back the locker room and leave the interviews till after the showers!  We guys need somewhere to hide and be ourselves!

36. Clay4bc says:

I read that post…I got the impression that he was referring to the posters as “punks”, not you writers (if it is indeed the one I’m thinking of)…

Well, one of us misread it, anyway.

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

– George Orwell –

37. Chuck says:

“Burns always believed the glass was a defenceman’s best friend, that
    any time the D-man was under pressure, it was put the puck high, hard
    and off the glass. I jokingly used to call it the “Pat Burns Breakout”
    and he would tell me to go (expletive) myself.”

That was one hell of a piece, Bob.

38. adam76 says:

drunk with power:)

39. Fire_Laraque says:

Hear hear!!!

40. Clay4bc says:

Don’t sweat it – I got fooled too, and I did do a google search after I read the news the first time.There were numerous stories of his death…

__________________________

– George Orwell –

41. CBrady12 says:

It’s funny how you can literally rip the canadiens players, management, other posters, pretty much anyone to shreds, you can talk about their personal lives, tell complete fabrications, call them names, accuse them of things they’ve never done, but you take ONE knock at Montreal sports press….

42. Malreg says:

For those too lazy to read this great article, here’s a little excerpt:

“At 12:25 p.m., my phone rang. It was none other than Mansbreek(Pat Burns), and he didn’t waste any time getting to the point: “If anyone is going to tell them all I’m still alive, it’s got to be you, because you’ve always done it for me. Here we go again. They’re trying to kill me before I’m dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I’m dead. I’m not dead, far (expletive) from it. They’ve had me dead since June. Tell them I’m alive. Set them straight.”

43. TomNickle says:

This isn`t a problem in Montreal or Canada alone.

Editors and writers are ridiculously desperate to get information to press first and accuracy comes second.

Speculation is the new truth.

44. HabsFanInTampa says:

So now CTV is the Canadian version of Fox News.

45. Mike Boone says:

Knock to your heart’s content.

But call us “punks” and you’re deleted.

Clear?

46. SmartDog says:

WHY WAS THIS DELETED??

I made a post about this being a banner week for Montreal Sports reporting but it was deleted ?????

I mean… the Habs are NOT a federalist plot (and the numbers in Camp support the Habs encouragement of francophones), Gionta is NOT the Captain, Burns has NOT passed away….

Does knocking the Montreal sports press get me deleted?  Can’t wait to find out!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

47. habaddict_andy says:

I’m not sure if your joking.  If you are that’s not funny at all.

48. CBrady12 says:

Read Bob McKenzie’s article about Pat Burns…One of the best McKenzie articles I’ve ever read.

49. derfab says:

And we wonder why messengers sometimes get shot?

50. cautiousoptimist says:

CTV now reports:

“Subsequent reports that he had died set off an explosion on social
    media, including Facebook and Twitter, as thousands of people spread the
    erroneous news.”

They neglect to report that the “erroneous news” came from them.  Classy.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  51. bwoar says:

That hasn’t been true for over a century and a half, the facts have never been very important to any of the media.  If it wasn’t ad bux, it was / still is political bend.  Looking for facts?  Hit the library, friend.

52. soperman says:

The “V” in CTV stands for Vulture.

_________________________________________________________________

“You want to keep weening de Coupe? Then sign zee great Pew-sie!”

53. havok says:

LOL yeah I hear you…
    But in this digital age I try to look at various sources, not just one…

54. Ice Storm says:

Yes, Pat Burns is alive and well…  I just got back from visiting with him… He was wearing his Gionta jersey with the big C on it… we were hanging out with holdout Carey Price, helping Pat write a good speech for his wake later this week…

Fight the good fight Pat…

Combination for success: 46-14-13

55. habaddict_andy says:

If we would have to start fact check reports on news paper, it would not be good.  What would be next, papers labeled as trust worthy at a corner of their front page in bright red?

56. havok says:

I am not taking a bullet for them, no way LOL, but I should’ve waited until maybe a family member confirmed it, before getting wrapped up into it..

Media is obsessed with the “scoop”, we usually brush it off because its about who is Captain or who is traded etc, but now its a mans (who has a family) life…

I guess thats what makes it different…

57. Sith says:

That was great. I really liked the end.

Thanks for sharing.

58. TheDagger says:

You shouldn’t have to fact check something you read in the news.  If it is being reported in the newspaper you should be able to take that as the truth.  Media hacks.

59. habaddict_andy says:

TSN reports what Pat said regarding the news of him.  “Here we go again,” said the three-time NHL coach of the year. “They’re trying to kill me before I’m dead.”

60. Say Ash says:

“I’m not dead, far [expletive] from it.”

Today has made Burns’ legend even bigger.

61. Storm Man says:

Oh well the press dropped the ball again……. What else is new today?

62. JD_ says:

Pat Burns evokes Mark Twain, who famously once said, “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

63. SmartDog says:

It’s not your job to fact check.  Media professionals – it’s THEIR job.  And with their share of the pie shrinking and fewer dollars for fewer jobs, they gamble with their stories, the truth, and our trust.  The media as we know it is dyring.  But don’t take a bullet for them.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

64. havok says:

I just felt like an idiot, here I was sharing my Burns story, sending out condolences, and myself, though not a reporter, didnt fact check, I ma sure he’d allgive us a smack in the back of the head if he could LOL..ahhh well

65. bjmmn says:

From TSN… “They’re trying to kill me before I’m dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I’m dead. I’m not dead, far (expletive) from it. They’ve had me dead since June. Tell them I’m alive. Set them straight.”

Gotta love an attitude like that!

66. Kooch7800 says:

“I’m not dead, far (expletive) from it. They’ve had me dead since June. Tell them I’m alive. Set them straight.”

- Pat Burns.

I love this guy

67. StevieRay says:

the ” T ” ..twits … as for the “C”..i’ll leave that to your imagination.

Disgusting piece of Journalism ..if you want to call it that . So they apologized.. big deal .. words are cheap ..that’s the problem now adays with a lot of things ..no accountability

Fired the SOB …I also read on the Star website that Cliff Fletcher at the Laffs training camp stated this whole fiasco …what a guy

68. Kooch7800 says:

Pat Burns is a battler.  I wish him and his family the best.

He is/was the real deal

69. TheDagger says:

Hang in there Pat, everyone knows you’re a fighter!

Other than that, here is Gerry Dee (X Alumni I must add) and PK Subban going at it in the gym, funny stuff.  Man has PK ever bulked up!

70. Windwalker says:

all the best Pat…to you and your family  peace

71. SeriousFan09 says:

Let’s hear it for irresponsible journalists trying to break the news of a man’s death!

Disgusting.

72. light_n_tasty says:

If they have to check their facts, how will they be the first to break the story?

73. Danno says:

I agree Robert. It’s one of the finest pieces I’ve read in quite some time. It was posted below and here is the link…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

74. Robert L says:

The Bob McKenzie story on Burns is one of the best pieces of writing ever at TSN. Read it.

Wouldn’t it just be great for Pat if someone got Esa Tikkanen’s reaction to this whole mess?

75. madcap_habsfan says:

TSN reported he’s at home surrounded by his family :( still so sad, cancer is such a terrible evil thing

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

76. RGM says:

Truer words have never been spoken. There aren’t a lot of things in this world that I hate, but cancer tops the list.

77. SmartDog says:

There are some people that no matter how tough they are are just hard not to like.

Burns is one of those guys.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

78. lavie says:

CTV is famous for jumping the gun announcing this kind of news. This was not the first time and won’t be the last time.

79. lefreak says:

the gazette ran with the story…just as much at fault as CTV imo.

fact check before you publish…or be like la presse.

80. Clay4bc says:

I was thinking the same thing…and HIO ran the story as well – I even commented on it before it was deleted.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

81. kempie says:

Just a quick thank you for all the good wishes. My little man was born Wednesday at 2:01 pm. Very small but very healthy. His name is Aiden, Rory and his physical stature suggests a speedy winger in the Cammy kind of style. I also think we set some kind of record with only 2.5 hours of labour. All three of us are doing very well and I can’t find very much to complain about. Avatar will change soon.

82. Say Ash says:

Congratulations, and get him shooting right.

83. mike g says:

Congrats!

And winter’s coming in 3 months, get him on skates!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

84. JD_ says:

Awesome news, K.

The circle of life.

Kids are the greatest thing I’ve ever experienced. Soak up every minute.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Congratulations!!!

Better start him on BioSteel and get him an Easton Stick.

86. Kooch7800 says:

Congrats Man

87. madcap_habsfan says:

congrats to you and your wife :)

88. mike g says:

CTV should hire Francois Gagnon then…

He botched the news of Gionta being captain yesterday….

On a side note, get well Mr. Burns.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

89. andrewberkshire says:

A lot of media types should be embarrassed with
    themselves right now, but instead you have idiots like Damien Cox
    blaming Cliff Fletcher instead of the people who told Fletcher a lie.

90. Danno says:

I miss the days when journalists didn’t jump the gun and you could trust the newspapers

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

91. mike g says:

I miss the same thing…

IMO, the problem is that everyone’s just out to make a name for themselves. If they pick up some crumbs, they’ll bake a cake with it so that just incase that news becomes concrete, they get credit for breaking the news.

We saw that with Francois Gagnon yesterday and the Gionta affair.

We saw that 2 years ago when those dummies on L’Antichambre said on live television, that the whole hockey world would be shocked once they wake up the next morning because news out of the Habs was gonna be released. In the end, nothing happened, all that came up was that AK and his bro were apparently “involved” with certain “people”. No big stories, nothing that was gonna change the Habs forever and ever, as was earlier suggested that day.

We saw it with Tony Marinaro “breaking news” that Andrei Markov blasted CP in the room one day, and that they might have faught. Once again, nothing happened with that news, and the players laughed it off.

Those are just a few examples, but once again IMO, they happen because reporters/journalists are just trying to get their names out there. To me, these are nothing more than a cry for popularity. You’ll never see respected guys like Bob Mckenzie doing this, or reporting “breaking news” stories that turn out to be nothing…

I guess that’s what the internet universe does…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

92. cautiousoptimist says:

Totally agree with you — but have those days ever existed?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  93. Habscat says:

I know the feeling. I have not been around the site too much in the last few months because I moved back to Halifax to look after my father after he was diagnosed with colon cancer. He had his surgery in May and has now started chemo here at the house. The fight is a daunting one, but the hope that someday cancer will be defeated is an enlightning one! Keep up the fight Pat Burns, and Go Habs Go!

http://gushuecards.webs.com/ http://ronthecat.webs.com/

94. observer says:

Whoever started and spread this rumor is one piece of work.

95. Mike Boone says:

Cliff Fletcher: personally trained by Sam Pollock, contemporary of Scott Bowman, about 100 years in hockey, close friend of Pat Burns.

But obviously an Enemy of the People who, if he had any honour, would shoot himself.

96. observer says:

But someone he trusted must have told Fletcher? Remember that night a few years ago when all the media reported and early newspaper headlines announced  “all the trapped coal miners in West Virginia were found and are alive”.

Only to announce several hours later they they all had died.

Or remember when all the media reported on the Raelian cloned baby to be presented to the public.

No wonder the holier than thou media has little respect anymore.

One word. Irony.