Pat Burns funeral Nov. 29 in Montreal

The funeral service for the late Pat Burns will be held Monday, Nov. 29 at 2:30 pm at Montreal’s Mary Queen of the World Cathedral, 1085 rue de la Cathédrale. A release from the New Jersey Devils says that Pat’s family will receive condolences beginning at 1:30 pm.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be sent in Pat’s memory to Maison Aube-Lumière, 220 rue Kennedy nord, Sherbrooke, QC J1E 2E7.

From our friend Rick Moffat of CJAD Radio-800, give a listen to this wonderful piece combining the voices of Pat Burns with Carey Price and former Burns-coached players Hal Gill, with Toronto, and Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez, with New Jersey.

1. LA Loyalist says:

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read all day. Of course it’s also the first thing I’ve read, as it’s only 06:30 here.

“I coach hard work” Pat Burns

2. The Teacher says:

To be a devil’s advocate, I believe Gomez’s cap hit is not the same as his actual salary. I think Dallas would enjoy that trade to meet the cap floor yet still not pay out as much.

3. slapshot777 says:

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Dallas has financial hardships, part of the reason they haven’t talked with Richards about a new contract is the ownership situation. Gomez’s contract is probably a non-starter for them with a strict internal budget.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

5. habs4ever2894 says:

To Montreal: Brad Richards

To Dallas: Scott Gomez

2nd round pick 2010

6. avatar_58 says:

By the by – I’m no Leaf fan, but am I the only habs fan who found that first goal to be BS? Intentional off-side? What the hell does that even mean? I doubt Kadri *wanted* to be off side on that pass. He didn’t look down and was over the line. Oops. So it goes to the other end and we get a shorty on a lucky bounce.

MAYBE it’s just me, but “interference” and “intentional off side” rules make my blood boil. They never make a lick of sense and seem to be called at random intervals. Seriously. This time it helped us, but could easily have been called AGAINST us.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

The latest report is the swelling hasn’t come down enough for the definitive tests, he’s heading to the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday for final evaluation.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. samTHEman says:

Markov supposively passed an MRI test this friday in Cleveland. No official release from the team yet on the length of his absence and severity of the injury? I`m guessing we`ll hear something tomorrow.

9. LA Loyalist says:

Koivu has 9 goals already. Gomez has 2.

Oh, I forgot, Gomez isn’t supposed to score. Just everyone around him sucks.

“I coach hard work.” Pat Burns

10. breast-cancer-treatment says:

Brush up on your rules before making a comment which you are totally wrong. It was no BS call it was the right call. The Leafs made a pass from thier own zone and when Kadri recieved the pass he was alredy accross the Habs blue line therefore putting himself offside. There was no intentional offside just offside. Since the pass came from within the Leafs zone the face off takes place from where the pass came from. This was the correct call. You should read your rules next time before you make a BS call. To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

11. ha_bs 24 says:

Yah I agree Pat Burns was the man oh and nice call.

12. Danno says:

Pat Burns will be known as a fighter who fought a brave battle to the bitter end. But through it all, he had a heart of gold and he never backed down. RIP Pat Burns.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. volcano62 says:

R.I.P. Pat Burns. The hockey world already misses you!

14. adam76 says:

While I found his “hissy fits” to be disrespectful to the game, Pat Burns cared more about the sport (and winning) then most current NHL coaches.  That drive is impossible to manufacturer.

RIP Pat.

15. Bill J says:

Adam, here’s something I don’t understand about you.

Why in the world do you not proof read what you type, think about what you are saying before clicking the “Post comment” button.  Seriously man…  Hissy Fits ?

Your mistaking Hissy Fits a child throws, for Burns’ passion for the game, and desire to call a spade a spade.

Burns was an expressive coach, who got his point across quite clearly when officiating screwed up a call.

He fought for his team, and his team’s fought for him.  Which gave him success..

I would welcome with open arms a coach “like” Pat Burns again, JM seems to have done some excellent work.  Much better then this city has seen for MANY years now, but make no mistake.  Jacques Demers included, Pat Burns was the best Head Coach Montreal has seen since Scotty Bowman.

Price no longer has a Glove side issue.

16. TommyB says:

Hissy fits?  Seriously?  Hockey is an emotional game.  Not everyone goes through the paces like robots.

17. sh00n says:

Hissy fits? That’s flat out passion, not fits.

For all the people that have called out Price for looking like he doesn’t care from his supposed poor body language; there’s going to be people calling out Pat Burns for throwing a “fit”?

Wow.

18. ooder says:

a man dies from cancer leaving his family and the first u bring up is his

“hissy fits”

pathetic

——————

88 is the new 23

19. Psycho29 says:

The man battled Cancer for years with dignity and you find something negative to say about him?

Why am I not surprised. You spent months on this site posting unsubsantiated rumours about Carey Price’s off-ice behavior…..

20. BJ says:

If anyone knows of an internet link for the Als-Argos game please pass it on. I’ll be watching from Germany.

21. sh00n says:

I was there and it was absolute silence. Someone tried to say something and almost the whole arena went “SHHH!”

22. Willy the bum says:

It was so emotional and powerful when the Bell Centre took a moment of silence, and the whole building was shut off of any sounds… only like a pin drop you can hear but it is so ’cause everybody stood and remembered one of the greatest coaches in our hockey club history.

I was almost into tears when I saw the game on live feed (I was in the office on a job); both teams afterwards played with heart (mostly) but none the less played for Pat Burns.

Thanks Dave for the CJAD link; love the Gill line when Burns yells if either the team has won or lost.  Burns is and always be a man of passion.

23. fofe510 says:

There is a misprint in the article.  It says Hal Gill played under Pat Burns in Toronto, when it was actually in Boston.

24. Puck Bard says:

Hard not to get teared-up over that. Thanks Dave.

25. purehabitry says:

Hissy fits?!A man that coached in the NHL and won over 500 games,and a Stanley Cup, not to mention managed the egos of todays pro athletes does not throw hissy fits. What a ridiculous comment.That was passion and the desire to win every time the bell rung.

26. sam says:

you got two emotional extremes right there. of course different people are gonna call different things.

27. LA Loyalist says:

You know what? I think I agree with you, I was royally pissed when he left.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned that some of Burns’ ranting was calculated and tactical and he thoroughly knew what he was doing and what buttons he was pushing.

If you read anything about Bowman you’ll know he was highly sophisticated in how he tweaked different players and the psychology of the team. He was probably more sophisticated than Burns but there are similarities.

I don’t think JM’s personality suits the culture of Montreal, if you want to know the truth, which is all about passion.

Read Larry Robinson’s memoirs if you want some insight into Bowman, and some VERY funny stories.

God bless you Pat.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

28. Clay4bc says:

Agreed…

__________________________

I had some hockey taglines, but I don’t know where the puck I put them.

29. ha_bs 24 says:

Tomorrow is a big day and game lets seek another shutout over the Philadelphia Flyers.

P.S. Lets go Habs!

30. habguy says:

would you settle for the flyers bombing the habs?