Parros taken to hospital after suffering concussion (Video)

HIO pic Parros

(Photo: Dario Ayala, The Gazette)

The mood was sombre in the Canadiens’ dressing room after the team’s 4-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs, a game that saw George Parros taken off the ice on a gurney after falling on his chin during a fight.

The team announced after the game that Parros suffered a concussion, was conscious and alert and in hospital for further tests.

Parros fell during a fight with Leafs’ forward Colton Orr and appeared to be knocked unconscious. It was Parros’ first game with the Habs, having missed the preseason matches as he recovered from rotator cuff surgery last May. The Habs acquired Parros from the Florida Panthers in July.

“Anytime you see a guy go down no matter what team (he’s) on it’s pretty scary so hopefully things are alright and we’ll bounce back,” said Canadiens’ captain Brian Gionta.

Coach Michel Therrien called it bad luck what happened to Parros and not something that occurs often.

“I heard that he was alert when he got to the dressing room so that’s a good thing.”

When the Canadiens started the second period, they took penalties that broke their rhythm, Therrien said.

“You can’t take six minor penalties after two periods and have the tempo of a game,” he said.

The line centred by Lars Eller, who scored two goals, was the team’s best Tuesday night, Therrien acknowledged.

“They were the best because they skated. They were the best because they were the fast on the puck. That’s the reason they had success tonight.”

You can hear what Gionta had to say here:

You can hear what Daniel Brière, who played his first game as a Hab, had to say after the game here:

And you can listen to Eller here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. nash_habsfan says:

Get better big guy, wish it was a different result to your first game as a Hab!!!!!

People bash that your style of play doesn’t belong in hockey anymore but there not the ones on the ice risking it for the fans.

2. yakhab says:

I have a solution!
    The NHL should adopt woman’s hockey rules
    Absolutely :
    no contact
    & no fighting

3. subbaniac76 says:

Sooo done with price and his reliable bs! New goalie asap!!

4. Habilis says:

So we won all the fights, but we lost the game. Now we know how Leafs fans usually feel.

Seriously, how do they still have fans? Because I got absolutely zero satisfaction from the fight wins, and I was thinking that even before Parros fell. The fights are just so pointless now. Maybe there was a time when they were necessary in the game, policing from within and all that. But that time is long gone.

5. savethepuck says:

Hate it when every time I make a long post, it ends up buried at the top of the last thread, so;

Yeah I’m a glass half full guy, but maybe I saw the game differently than some, and it makes me sleep better at night and doesn’t make me get so worked up over a regular season loss. It’s an 82 game season and there will be games when breaks go the other way. I’m not even going to bother arguing with those who are blaming Price, I’m starting to realize it’s a waste of time, like beating your head against a wall. It was a crazy hockey game, seemed like both teams were playing run and gun and giving up a lot of glorious scoring opportunities at both ends. Habs went down 1-0 on a 5 on 3 PP but the Habs fought back and tied it up ( on an incredible patient hockey play by some Diaz guy that most here hate ). The kid line then tied it up and things were looking good. Leafs tied it on a great shot by Phaneuf and then went ahead on a short handed goal by Bozak. That goal rolled off Markov’s stick at the blueline, and Carey may of cheated a bit thinking Bozak was going to deke to the forehand before he went high blocker, but I’m not going start blaming anyone because it’s pointless. The backbreaker was the 4th goal, which was one of the luckiest bounces you will see pop back on the stick of Mason Raymond. This was one out of 82 games that either team could of won, if the Habs are well below 500 after 20 games, I’ll start to worry a little.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

6. jedimyrmidon says:

So the Habs-Leafs 3-4 game is the lowest scoring game of the night.

7. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Just got back from the game (and the pub). A few quick thoughts:

The hush after Parros went down was profound. And while it was mostly concern for his well-being, it was also real despair over the Cdn’s lot. We just can’t buy a break. And by the way, it looked to me like an uppercut by Orr that knocked Parros out before he hit the ice.

Speaking of not being able to buy a break, that refereeing was God-awful! i’m not one for blaming the refs… usually. But that was truly ridiculous tonight.

Danny Briere was a big disappointment. And I have finally come around to agree with others here that DD simply isn’t able to handle the physical contact required to be effective.

Liked what I saw from Gionta-Pleks-Bourque. They got the most attention from Carlyle, but they showed flashes along with rust. There is promise there.

The EGG line was brilliant. No question.

Markov? I am still holding out hope. Yes, that was a horrible blunder, and it is obvious that the Achilles surgery is severely limiting him. I know others who have had that injury/surgery, and it requires a complete change of skating style because the tendon is now so tight. But I am hoping he can still be at least 60% the player he was.

And Price…? I think it is hard to blame him for the goals. But, damn, it sure would be nice to see him make that crucial save once in awhile. And I thought Stéphane Waite was working to keep Carey more centred in goal? Yet, there he was sliding dramatically across far beyond the shooting lane. Sigh.

This was a hard one to take. Gawd-damn Leafs!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• jedimyrmidon says:

Price made quite a few very good saves. He made one spectacular one in the first. He was very good.

The only goal I thought the team could have used saving on was the breakaway one (3rd goal). In the same theme of bad luck, it was Tyler Bozak on the breakaway, the ONLY Leaf to score a shootout goal last season.

The 4th goal with the puck bouncing off Bouillon’s skate to Raymond’s stick was just such bad luck. He read the cross ice pass perfectly… and then that bounce happened. Nothing he could do.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, admittedly, it was the breakaway I was thinking of. Too many bad shoot-out memories. Really wanted him to stop that one. The whole game turned on that.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• jedimyrmidon says:

Wouldn’t say it turned on it. Leafs got so lucky with the 4th goal. And some of those non-calls. Things mysteriously don’t go the Habs’ way.

• Phil C says:

There was no uppercut, watch it again.

8. Stevie.Ray says:

Repost:

On a scale of 1-10 for the difficulties of the goals scored Against tonight I would rank them:

First goal: 6/10
    A 5-on-3, where an attempted backdoor pass takes a couple unlucky bounces off the inside of Prices leg and into the net. Unlucky but should have protected his 5 hole better.

Second goal: 8/10
    A cross ice pass followed by a hard wrist shot placed just under the bar
    Glove side. Price going opposite way of shot. Would be a tremendous save if he had made it, but that’s a shot that’s going in 9 out of ten times.

Third goal: 7/10
    A shorthanded clear breakaway. I maintain that a breakaway save has more to do with the forward screwing up than what the goalie does. Price a little shallow but Bozak made a good shot

Fourth goal: 9.5/10
    Two-on-one pass that get unfortunately bounces right back to the passer after Price already made his move. Almost an impossible save to make. Unlucky.

I don’t have a grade for all of the great saves Price made tonight, but his average rating for difficulty of goals is 7.625, and didn’t allow any softies.

Anyone agree? I’m going to keep track of this all year because it seems sometimes people on here think Price gives up nothing but softies.

• Adidess says:

Tonight is not a night to pick on Price, but…

On the breakaway, you’re probably assessing the quality of the shot that was released rather than the behavior of the goalie leading to the shot. Bozak would not have had as much net to shoot at, if Price didn’t passively back down deeper and deeper into his net and make himself smaller and smaller. If Price challenges the shooter more, that potentially leads to more of a rushed shot with less precision. Just saying.

Just because you assign those numbers doesn’t mean they are accurate.

• habsfan0 says:

Backing up into his net on a breakaway is a flaw that I thought Waite would have worked on with Price.

It’s a work in progress, I guess.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I agree that my numbers might not be accurate. It’s hard to assess everything that is going on and in the end it’s subjective. I like to think that I am in a +/-1 range, but I posted it to hear what others think

• Fransaskois says:

1) Stopping a back door pass on a 5-3 with a bouncing puck is not easy. The fact that it trickled in is the only part that makes it look like Price’s fault. 8/10

2) If the shot’s going in 9/10 times, I’d rate it at a 9/10. He needs to improve his glove positioning though.

3) The guy’s on a breakaway, Carey’s at nearly his most vulnerable position. He played the deke and was too far back in his net. The odds of him (or any goalie) stopping this type of scoring chance is low. 8/10

4) Total defensive breakdown but, I think he’s got a chance to commit to the shooter a little more and trust his defence. He made the save but missed the “bounce”. 8.5/10

I thought Price was pretty outstanding tonight. A couple of really spectacular saves and a really solid positional game. He looks more compact and more in control than I’ve seen him be in years. He needs to work on glove positioning and some rebound control but, overall, he had a great game. I think you really need to define the situations better with this ranking system though, it’s pretty subjective.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I knew that “9 out of ten times” line would bring me heat ;)

The way I saw it was that it was a saveable shot. A very very difficult shot, but saveable nonetheless. I tried to save 9s for very unlikely saveable shots, and tens for impossible shots.

But for the most part our ratings were in the +/-1 range

• The Dude says:

3rd goal shows you guilty pleasures…Price withdrew to his net with out challenging and looked like deer in headlights = goal. Price is not a $ 6.5 mill per season goalie,sorry.

• Kfourn says:

You’re a true idiot….sorry

_______________________________________________________
        Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• yakhab says:

Ah finally a little bit of positive
      cheers Stevie.Ray !

9. jedimyrmidon says:

I have to say, I saw glimpses of a very effective 4th line with Prust-Moen and Parros. Eller had a shift with Prust and Parros, I think, in the first and they were causing the Leafs all kinds of grief.

10. habsfan0 says:

Where’s About Last Night?
    How far is Boone walking his dog tonight?

I wonder if there will be a single game against leafs this season where Habs won’t have at least one injured player.

“Therrien called it a bad luck…” – Therrien is a effing bad luck. Him and Bergevin.

12. Sportfan says:

Hope you heal quickly George and that your back on your feet 100% healthy.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

You can all flame me and call me names or whatever… but this team is an effing joke. All 3 of Bergivin’s prized acquisitions sucked each in its own unique way. Murray gets injured by dragging his fat ass along the ice. Parros ridicules himself by falling on his own face. Dany eff you back to philly Briere was more invisible than Desharnais, who I really would like to see in Parros’ place.

And this is just a first game. Only the beginning.

Markov – great play there bud. Probably was slower than Murray trying to catch Bozak.

First and second line did squat because hey, they had to play against bigger tougher guys and not some AHL rookies in the pre-season.

Pacioretty is probably injured too… not that it matters… not that he did anything constructive prior.

Basically more of the same. More embarrassment against the laffs, Bruins to come… it will be just as bad as last season only will last longer.

14. SUMO says: