Parros released from hospital; out indefinitely

The Canadiens announced an update on George Parros’s medical condition Wednesday morning, saying he has been released from hospital, has a concussion and will be out indefinitely.

Parros was engaging in his second fight of the night with Toronto’s Colton Orr when he lost his balance and landed face first on the ice during Tuesday’s season-opening 4-3 loss to the Maple Leafs.

“He has a concussion and he’s in the hospital,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the game. “He showed a lot of character and it was just bad luck.”

Parros had to be stabilized and taken taken from the ice on a gurney, but the Canadiens said he was alert when he was taken to the dressing room. He was then transported to the hospital where he was held overnight for observation. The preliminary indications were that he didn’t reinjure his shoulder. He underwent rotator cuff surgery in the off-season.

“We’ve seen too many of those incidents in this building,” said Lars Eller, who suffered a concussion last year when he was hit by Ottawa’s Eric Gryba. “When you see something like that, you just hope that he’s okay and you think about his family. When that happens, you try to refocus but it’s hard to think about hockey.”

Parros sent out a tweet Wednesday morning, writing: “Thanks for all the well wishes everyone #classyfollowers”

You can follow Parros on Twitter by clicking here.

The Canadiens have the day off Wednesday and will practise Thursday afternoon in Lac-Megantic. Their next game is Saturday night at the Bell Centre against the Philadelphia Flyers.

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Habs fall short in season opener, by Pat Hickey

A fresh start with a poignant pause, by Dave Stubbs

In the Habs Room, by Pat Hickey

Game Recap, canadiens.com

Hockey fans’ dreams enkindled, by Brenda Branswell

Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Kid line growing together, canadiens.com

Some NHL GMs say it’s time to lose fighting, TSN.ca

Leafs and Canadiens fight, fight and play a little hockey, nationalpost.com

Parros injury dims rivalry game, ESPN.com

Canadiens listed at 28-1 odds to win Stanley Cup, Stu on Sports blog

1. Bill says:

@Alvin: No. The rule on hits to the head has nothing to do with whether the hit is blindside or not. It used to but it doesn’t anymore.

• johnnylarue says:

Hey, a player could potentially circumvent that language by claiming he didn’t hit, but rather “punched” the guy in the head with his shoulder…

2. Puck Bard says:

@Garbo:

I appear to not be able to respond to your last comment. So I will say I {sort of} agree… they are grown men. And, yes, let’s keep this civil and maintain a healthy discussion.

The fighting issue is very polarized.

But we still love our Habs.

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…JT is one of the most enjoyable reads a Habs Fan can enjoy, so I take no pleasure to debate her intelligent and talented mind

…but, to eliminate fighting from NHL hockey is more complicated than simply forbidding any form of fisticuffs from it’s rules

…the NHL brand is very unique relative to junior, university or international hockey played in a short series …comparing them is like comparing persimmons to cumquats, or something to that effect :)

…NHL hockey is a completely a different beast than the ‘pure sport’ of junior, university/college and international hockey

…NHL hockey is a commercial visiting circus, a Broadway play, a Breaking Bad episode, a sky-jump, a drama, an orgasm …not only a ‘pure’ sporting event

…owners are in it for money, plus the ‘pleasure’, not innocence and medals

…the Fans ? …they just want to be entertained

• johnnylarue says:

That’s incredibly disillusioning, but nonetheless spot on, Surrey.

I think the pinko/panty-waist/starry-eyed nancy boys like me who’d rather focus on the Olympics-grade display of spectacular talent and sportsmanship–i.e. the “purity of the game”–believe that style of hockey could be just as appealing to the masses as the Circus Maximus we are instead invited to enjoy.

Ultimately, a line in the sand will be drawn: either the sport gets cleaned up, or people like me will find something else to do with their time. (It can’t be that hard, can it!?)

And I’ll stick my head out and say this: if I see another player get carried off the ice in a stretcher this season, regardless of the cause, I won’t watch another game. And you lot will be freed from my cloying pacifism for the remainder of the year. ;)

4. Danno says:

The debate continues…

Fight Thoughts

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

5. Danno says:

Go Flyers

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. PrimeTime says:

If fighting is the most entertaining to the fans, as some say, and an integral part to winning then why aren’t the fighters the highest paid players?

7. twilighthours says:

I just can’t believe that 20-year-old habs1992 has been in multiple hockey fights, and nor do I value his poorly written and expressed opinions.

And that’s confirmed.

• habs1992 says:

LOL so you are saying there is no way possible that I grew up playing hockey for 14 years of my life since i was 4. And in those 14 years hockey there is no possible way I could have gotten into 7 scraps. Are you serious/

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Bozo McBozo says:

Middle school girls in SoBro have more violent tilts!

• punkster says:

I think he may be.

Are you Twi?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
        but…
        ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• twilighthours says:

Here’s what I’m saying:

1) questions end with question marks (“?”)

2) there is a world of difference between a fight in minor hockey, where one punches a caged helmet with a gloved hand, and a junior or NHL fight. Please don’t compare the two

3) you make my HIO experience worse. Congratulations

You got all that, sport?

• johnnylarue says:

I’d have gone with “junior”, myself, but “sport” is more on topic I suppose…

• habs1992 says:

lol in my 7 fights not once did either of us have are helmets on my friend, that is why i smashed my head on the ice, you be amazed how easy those helmets come off, and in 2 of them me and my opponent respectfully took our helmets of first, and the linesman allowed us to go at it, Also I never would punch with my glove on, id be throwing pillows with those things, and I think you make my HIO more enjoyable cuz you make me laugh

I support Carey Price
          “Habs Insider”

• Bozo McBozo says:

True, even north of border, the number of leagues where fighting is acceptable is very limited. Also, if you remember all your fights, you either won them all or just didn’t have that many in the first place.

@Below: I stopped playing slow-pitch during the Regan era.

@Below: The nuns taught you how to take a punch, while non-existent sideburns were pulled!

• habs1992 says:

That is right, that is why I remember all of them because I won every single of one of them, and when me and my buddies are having a few beers it seems like we always talk about our days playing hockey. As they were great times. And Bozo where I played the Linesmen almost always let the guys go at it. I was maybe stopped by the linesman 2 or 3 times my whole time i played minor hockey.

I support Carey Price
            “Habs Insider”

• Ron says:

You know BJ, I think you need 2 mins for instigating. You’ve had more raps too the head and arms from the nuns and its starting to show. :D

8. Garbo says:

The fighting issue is simple. If it is going to end, it has to start with the players, and the players want it in.

If the player’s union didn’t want it, it would not be there. Plain and simple.

Why is everyone so concerned, if the players aren’t. If its fine by them, its fine by me.

• habs1992 says:

I agree if the players who are playing dont want it in, I will have no problem with them getting rid of it .

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Puck Bard says:

Garbo, I don’t know you, and don’t want to embarrass you, but that is possibly the worst argument I have ever heard. You are defending enforcers the same way you would defend prostitution.

• habs1992 says:

Wow do you really want to start that debate, I disagree with you big time

I support Carey Price
        “Habs Insider”

• Garbo says:

Who are you to tell the enforcers that it is in their best interest to forgo their livelihood to save themselves from a couple potential concussions?

And I hate to break to you, but you may be quite surprised to learn of the Supreme Court of Canada’s views on prostitution. And I’ll go out on limb here and suggest our Supreme Court Justices are much brighter lights than you my friend.

You premise your attack on my reasoning with an supremely flawed argument. But this is not the place to debate the legality of prostitution.

Edit: Sorry, I did not mean to “embarass” you

• Puck Bard says:

Wow Garbo. Let’s take this off-line and not bore these people: johnallore@gmail.com

Supreme Court and prostitution? Over-reach (this is hockey, No?) You might want to take a look at my website and then decide wether to take me on with women’s rights:

Step off the gas, Garbo.

• Garbo says:

Completely agree, let’s keep this to hockey. I have no interest in your website or discussing prostitution with you (in case I wasn’t clear enough before). You opened that can of worms.

I understand the argument that big dumb people “fall” into hockey because the money is attractive and there is little else they can do. Therefore it is arguably not a choice. This has been analyzed and discussed to death in the case of NFL linemen.

Whether that argument has any merit or not, in this instance, we are talking about an ivy league educated man who specifically studied in collective bargaining and employer-employee relations. And if he still chooses to fight, why do you think you have any right to take that away from him? Why do you think you know better than him?

• twilighthours says:

This is not the argument – not mine, anyway. Mine is this: hockey doesn’t need fighting to be a great sport, to hold its players accountable, or to settle the score and protect the little guys. Hockey doesn’t need fighting at all.

• Garbo says:

I agree. But I don’t really care. If someone wants to earn their living that way, I will not stand in their way.

• johnnylarue says:

But you will implicitly condone their behaviour by watching them and, consequently, by continuing to pay their salaries.

• Garbo says:

As do you. But unlike you, I’m not opposed to it.

Like I said, I don’t think hockey needs fighting. But I really don’t care if the players want it in or not.

• johnnylarue says:

Therefore, “If the Murderers’ Union gets together and decide they are willing to live with the risk of life imprisonment, I’m 100% behind them if they want to go on killing.”

And that’s why murder is okay!

9. WVHabsfan says:

Only fight in my life was in a hockey game.

10. Puck Bard says:

@Danno: you appear to be getting your wish.

11. habs1992 says:

Did Philly just score……………..oh wait it was a fight, thats why the crowd was going nuts.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

12. Danno says:

Schenn just did the same flip to the ice that Orr pulled on Parros

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. JohnBellyful says:

Operating on the mistaken notion that the NHL will someday realize it needs to do more to clean up its product, I humbly offer this, suggestion No. 79, in my ongoing campaign to become the league’s director of player safety:

What is the league policy when a player is suspected of having suffered a concussion? He is taken to a “quiet room’ to be evaluated by a team physician employing a variety of tests. The player’s small motor skills are tested and he is asked a series of simple questions to determine if he still has his wits about him.
    But isn’t that akin to closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, if in fact he has been injured?
    Or, to give it a more modern context, as useful as changing your passwords after a hacker has emptied your bank account and maxed out your credit cards? (The answer’s yes, so let’s move on.)
    The solution, then, is to be proactive, to intervene before players come to blows. As soon as two players square off and are about to bash in each other’s heads, the linesmen intervene and escort them to a “quiet room” to argue their case before an arbitrator:
    “Ma’am, he rode me into the boards from behind as I was trying to play the puck.”
    “Is that true, Number 28?”
    “I rubbed him out, which is permitted, and he wouldn’t have got his bell rung if he hadn’t turned his back on me to draw a boarding penalty.”
    “Ma’am, that is an outright lie. I knew a vicious hit was coming and I braced myself. And when it did, I took exception and said so in no uncertain terms by raising my fists to signal I wished to discuss the issue man-to-man.”
    “Ma’am, he neglected to tell you he speared me in the ribs as he got up, to catch my attention.”
    “Upon which he hit me over the
    “Gentlemen, gentlemen, let us move on. There’s only 23 minutes left in the game and I’m sure you two would like to play another shift.”
    “Well, we’ve already played our shift for the period. It would be nice to go sit with the boys, though.”
    “Yeah, that’s the best part about playing hockey, the camaraderie.”
    “That’s great, gentlemen, it’s nice to see you share the same sentiment. Do I have your word you’ve set aside your differences, then, and won’t cause any more problems this evening?”
    “Yes, ma’am.”
    “Yes, ma’am.”
    “Well done, sirs. Now shake hands and pat each other on the bum as you go out.”

I don’t how see how the league or players’ association could object to pre-concussion arbitration meetings to prevent post-concussion examinations. They’ve been working with arbitrators for years. This is just another service they could provide.

14. Danno says:

Canucks whale not pleased with having to pay the tab

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

15. HabFab says:

So how many here, have every had a hockey fight?

16. WVHabsfan says:

Just heard that Tinordi broke Ashton’s nose

17. WVHabsfan says:

I now officially hate the Leafs. I grew up and live in the US. I knew they were rivals with the Habs but I never rooted against them until now. Pulling for the Flyers tonight

18. Eddie says:

The reason why there is fighting in the game is simple:

None of the parties who have a vested interest, the players, managers, owners, fans, advertisers, etc, none of them have ever stood up against fighting.

This is a work safety issue, like helmets and visors, like spearing and high sticking.

On work safety issues, usually the union would take the lead. The owners would then follow, because it is in the owners’ interests to keep their players safe.

But the union does not take the lead, nor do the owners feel a need to take fighting out of the game.

We can argue the “immorality” of fighting, but until the union and the owners get together on this, it’s really not going to happen.

19. Haberoooo13 says:

To those for fighting (and yes I have been against it now for about 10 years), is it hypocritical of the NHL to try and ban headshots but ok for bare knuckle punches to the jaw and skull?

PS I am not a “nancy” just like I am sure you are not “neanderthals”.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

20. Propwash says:

A game misconduct for fighting is an excellent compromise.

Also, wanna see excellent, fast paced, exciting hockey? Look no further than the WJHC. THAT’S how NHL hockey should be played.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

21. piter says:

I laugh at where Stu says “While Parros was engaging in his second fight against Orr, Parros lost his balance and fell face first on the ice”. More like Orr pulled Parros down by the jersey, after getting body slammed to the ice. He didn’t want to be the only one that hit the ice, so he didn’t let go. I’m sure he didn’t want to slam Parros’ face into the ice, but he did pull him down intentionally. I saw a replay where the announcers said that Parros had his eyes closed because he thought a punch was coming from Orr, I say he knew he was getting face-planted. Just my opinion.

• Danno says:

That’s exactly what happened. Why is everyone repeating an obvious fictitious account of what happened? Therien said what he did because he didn’t want to sound like a whiner. But the sportscasters have eyes in their heads yet refuse to open them. Why is Orr getting a free pass?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Mr. Biter says:

It was a freak accident that Parros was injured during the fight. His one arm was under Orr and his other was going forward to hit Orr so he had also lost his balance. Orr did what everyone does when they lose their balance and are falling down, grab something (in this case someone one) to get your leverage and unfortunately this led to the injury. I don’t like Orr (or any leaf), but IMHO he did not drag Parros head down to ram it into the ice. And I still like fighting in the game.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Danno says:

It’s cool. We can agree to disagree.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Mr. Biter says:

Not disagreeing with anyone, just giving the facts as I saw them. Ya we’re all cool. If your in Thunder Bay and want Japanese food, try Tokyo House. All you can eat buffet and Sushi for $23.95 and there was no animal shelter around the corner.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• piter says:

Who said anything about dragging Parros’ head down to ram it in the ice? Not me. All I said is he intentionally pulled Parros down. I even said I didn’t think it was on purpose. You must have mis-read my post. And I’m all for fighting too!

• Mr. Biter says:

I agree he pulled him down. When your falling down you grab at the closest thing and that was Parros to try to regain your balance.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• JO says:

Habs didn’t play a bad game last night. The short handed goal was what gave the leafs a better chance of winning and that’s the way it turned out.

22. Puck Bard says:

Habs played a bad game last night: That is all.

Now, on to other business… maybe I’m late to the game but,

Who is this ass-clown on TSN named James Duthie?!

23. Danno says:

Leafs vs Flyers tonight.

Hope they pound each other into a fine powder.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

24. The Dude says:

Blocking shots is way more dangerous than fighting because you can’t predict puck movement with all the variables ‘players…sticks’ along it’s journey past Price :) .Remember Gorges head shot??? I figured he was toast and given a couple of inches, maybe ??? But that’s OK eh? And that’s why I’m calling Bull-crap to the fighting in NHL issue and I also think Parros”University Educated ” is happy “not this morning” to be a well paid Pro Athlete all these years because of how things are. This is NHL hockey and if you no like ,you no watch…period. If you want ‘flag’ pro hockey start a new league and good luck with that! I can see it now… Tolar Cranston as league president and Skating with the Stars in between periods…Montreal’s team too be named”Le Poutine”and coaches corner carried over with Don Cherry,ya baby!

• habs1992 says:

+1, I dont want to watch Eurpoean hockey, or Id watch the KHL, go watch that you nancy’s, I WANT NHL HOCKEY.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

25. DipsyDoodler says:

Should goalies wear masks?

Now I know a lot of them do nowadays, and it may reduce the incidence of injuries, but it isn’t part of hockey. Hockey is played without head protection.

If they make goalie masks mandatory, what next? Helmets for all players? Then what? Communism?

So what do you think? Are you for this new nannyism or not? If you don’t like to see a goalie get his faces smashed by a puck watch tennis.

26. habs1992 says:

This game is great the way it is, why try to ruin this great game we have. No one has been killed because of it and I dont even know why there is this debate.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

27. habfaninottawa says:

Revenge tactic, sorry

28. habfaninottawa says:

I think a far better solution to “cleaning up the game” and discouraging the dirty illegal plays would be concurrent and escalating penalties. 2 minutes or more in the box, regardless of goals scored. If a player get more than 1 penalty in a game, make it 3 or 4 or 5 minutes. Also make the linesmen true referees and able to call penalties.
    Using violence to deter violence never works. War doesn’t prevent more war. And fighting in hockey doesn’t prevent players from taking liberties with other players. Fighting is used as a renege tactic, nothing more.
    Chris Nilan himself said today on TSN 690 that it is the utter lack of respect between the players that causes the serious injuries and dirty plays.

29. Haberoooo13 says:

@ Alvin…I don’t live here…just here for a week and it’s way too hot

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

30. Habfan10912 says:

In an attempt to move away from some of the debate here would anyone care to give me a critique on Bourque’s play last night? I didn’t care for what I saw and I’d like to check my eyesight.

31. 100HABS says:

I think the option of a game misconduct for fighting is an excellent one. It still allows tough guys to go after some player being too aggressive and/or taking cheap shots at our star players. But it would remove the staged fight that only Toronto Make-Believe Fans like. Well, maybe Bruins fans too. And the Flyers. But that’s it.