Parros, Murray return to Habs lineup vs. Panthers

George Parros and Douglas Murray will be back in the lineup when the Canadiens visit the Florida Panthers Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and Carey Price will start in goal.

Michel Therrien announced his lineup after Saturday morning’s optional skate, adding that defenceman Jarred Tinordi will be a healthy scratch. The Canadiens will be without centre Tomas Plekanec, who returned to Montreal on Friday for what the team called “family reasons.”

Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo, who suffered an upper-body injury in a 3-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes Thursday night, won’t be in the Florida lineup. Dan Ellis will get the start in his place and Scott Clemmensen will be the backup.

Habs vs. Panthers preview, NHL.com

Game notes

Habs should give Markov three-year contract, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs without Plekanec in Florida, by Pat Hickey

Another spoonful of victory for Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Were cookies the key to changing Habs’ culture? Stu on Sports blog

Mike ‘Dream’ Weaver fitting in with Habs, Stu on Sports blog

If the Stanley Cup playoffs started today, NHL.com

Saturday’s playoff-clinching scenarios, NHL.com

Seven straight losses for Leafs, NHL.com

1. GenerationYHabs says:

Anyone happen to know a site where I can watch passed episodes of 24 ch on?

2. Danno says:

test
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. DipsyDoodler says:

Boone’s Liverpool did well today: all three of their title challengers dropped points.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Next week will be fun, my Bayern Munich boys taking on Manchester United. I worry the team i cheer for is too heavily favoured. The Premiership is far more interesting this year with the close battle at the top of the table.

Unbelievable that Chelsea lost to Crystal Palace.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Arsenal wasn´t really challenging but this was a fantastic day for Liverpool and Boone isn´t the only LFC fan here…

4. Ozmodiar says:

Just saw the Bozon presser.
    Great to see that he’s out of the hospital. Very scary stuff.

5. Buzz Lightbeer says:

I’ve never seen a #6/7 D-man have such completely bi-polar views from a fan base than Murray. Half seem to think he is a complete pylon,a wasted roster space and a total liability while the other half love the Crankshaft and want him back next year. I would probably lean on the laters views. Maybe i’m not looking at the whole picture but seeing that last time we had a somewhat physical defenceman was Paul Mara i’m glad to have him aboard.
    Anyways i just find it an odd case of how much differing of opinion fans seem to have of him.

• Starlight says:

Come the playoffs I’m pretty sure (Okay I know jack squat) he be of more value to us. More than Briere.

• Steven Snell says:

He plays best when he doesn’t have to touch the puck. Like ever.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s because some are very, very deep into this “we´ re too small” complex. Others focus on the fact that he´s a horrible player whose size and physical play don´t make up for his flaws.

Or perhaps some of us don’t like watching our goalie receiving undue hits. Glad it is cut and dry and that my view displays my lack of hockey knowledge.

Edit: I recongnize Murray has huge shortcomings, but indeed he does provide something we lack. I personally think it should be either or between Frankie and Murray, never both.

I would prefer he be our 7th dman, but at present I believe he is our 6th dman.

• Dulljerk says:

I agree with you, and more. I think Doug Murray is a very good stay at home defencemand. When he hits you in close, you go down. He sticks to the basics, somebody has to.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

Why does media keep refer to Plek’s absence “for family reasons” when it seems like it is known that he had a baby? Is there more to the story?

So Bruins started a new winning streak? Argh.

8. jamman says:

Eller can’t bury.

9. Maritime Ronn says:

Mavid…Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf
    ——
    Good to see you back.
    :-)

10. zephyr says:

I’d like to see us win often b4 the playoffs start. I’d like to see us peaking for the playoffs. I agree the leafs would be better off getting a lottery pick. their def would never stand up to the bruins. Detroit or Columbus might give the b’s a run for their money tho.

11. habs1966 says:

Does anybody know why Plecky stayed in Montreal?

12. thehammer says:

Does anyone have any idea when playoff tickets go in sale ?

13. twilighthours says:

Finally got around to reading the cookies/culture article, and I get blindsided by jack Todd. The silly comment on vegan meals was typical.

14. Mavid says:

mmmmm Parros..yep I am ok with that.. :evil:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

15. Mavid says:

I don’t mind the Leaf’s either..my hate is divided up (pretty equally) between the Sens and the Bruins..I work and I am friends with several Leaf fans and they are very reasonable..well except for one..but the Sens fans..thats a whole other story..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

16. Storman says:

Olympic stadium looks fantastic jammed with baseball fans..,,hmmm
    Downtown stadium July summer evening looks and feels amazing, and then my dream is spoiled and i am woken up by a huge Bud Selig fart..

17. Maritime Ronn says:

@ rhino (or anyone else)

Just a few questions re your EOTP reference.
    Curious, because I do not follow them, or know who they are.

1) Have any of the EOTP writers played, coached, scouted, water-bottled, or been a part of a management group or GM for any team at any level in any part of their careers?

2) Have any of them had Professional NHL Hockey Writers credentials that have allowed them privileged access to the room and the players?

• Un Canadien errant says:

My take is that they’re very informed fans who blog about the team, with a heavy slant towards analytics. Some of the members here had their run-ins with the Editor in Chief when he used to post here, so they generally are not positively inclined to that site.

I like their site in the dog days of summer, when they cover things like development camps and list the top prospects in the organization, but aside from that I get all I need over here.

• rhino514 says:

One of their writers (I think we all know who) writes quite arrogantly, and has labasted the habs for acquiring Murray, for not playing Eller ahead of Desharnais, for mistreating Subban (writing open letters to Bergevin and Therrien regarding this subject no less! I hope MB didn´t get too stressed out upn reading them), for asking for therrien´s resignation, and sundry other views which have turned out to be, regardless of advanced stats inclusions, completely misguided.
      So I agree, they shouldn´t be given much weight.
      But it is curious to say the least to see objectively with stats support, HOW good Beaulieu was when he was up here.
      This is why I suspect there may be a character issue holding him back.
      Tinordi, I understand more, as he is being rotated, and i get a guy like Murray being used against the Bruins or Leafs.

• habnonymous1 says:

Hey Ronn,

If you haven’t been there for a while, the game previews are good:

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi
        habnonymous1

No doubt those fellas are smart – as are you, so are you in the recruiting process?
        ;-)

• habnonymous1 says:

Ha!, but the pay isn’t very good.

I should get Florida Panther Scott Gomez’ agent:

Gomez has scored 6 NHL goals in the last three seasons, while drawing $17.6 million pay. ( from capgeek )

2 of those goals were for the Habs who have paid/will pay him a total of $16 million from 2011-12 to 2014-15.

There should be a special category in the Hockey Hall of Fame – or a new Gomez Trophy – for most $/goal.

18. jamman says:

Iginla reaches the 30 goal plateau for the 12th time in his career. Impressive.

19. DominicanHab says:

I am curious as to how many people on here want the Leafs in the playoffs as opposed to not making it.

Personally, I want them to squeak in. Don’t get me wrong, I hate the Leafs but that hatred also makes it fun to watch them in the playoffs. That coupled with the fact that it will take some of the media pressure off the Habs is going to make me not cheer on the Leafs in their remaining seven games, but rather not be disappointed if they win

• ffenliv says:

At first, I wanted them in, because as I’ve said before, I wanted my Leaf fan friends to enjoy themselves.

However, after their recent slide, they’ve all turned on the team and want them to fail hard, to get rid of the ‘dead wood.’ So, going along with their desires, I now root for Leaf losses, which has the added benefit of feeling good.

Having no love for the Bruins, though, and seeing that they did go to game 7 OT last year against the Leafs, maybe them getting 8th and giving Boston a hard time would be worth it, just for the entertainment value.

• twilighthours says:

I’m indifferent. I try not to confuse my dislike of the Toronto-centric sports media (of which there are many) with my dislike of the team (which is merely a mild displeasure).

I think we take the anti leaf rhetoric too far.

After all, it’s not the bruins.

• Steven Snell says:

I absolutely want them to make it. I dislike them, but that’s softened over all their years of ineptitude. Most of my friends are Leafs fans. Good people. Misguided, but good people all the same who deserve to watch their team compete. It makes things more interesting for everyone if Montreal and Toronto are in the playoffs. That Leafs/Bruins series last year was really enjoyable as a Habs fan because no matter who loses, it’s a victory.

• JUST ME says:

At first i wanted them in. Just for their fans. Although they have a tendancy to be loud (to remain polite) they have endured more than their share of stupid moves and repeated downfalls.

But when they signed the orange cone i changed sides. How stupid was that move ? Let say for argument`s sake that Phaneuf was good . Since the leafs never made it in the playoffs with him except for last season when they still found a way to make history, you need major changes starting with the one supposed to be the leader, the captain. Instead they signed him ,long deal big bucks ,stupid stupid move. Now they are stuck for years ! So if this is the fate they want so be it and may they roth in hell…

• JF says:

I want them in because I think they’re less dangerous than, for example, the Redwings. If they make it, they’ll be in a wild card spot and face the Bruins or Penguins, either of whom would destroy them (unless Fleury has anther playoff meltdown). Their defensive structure is so poor that I can’t see them doing any damage, whereas the Wings are one of the teams I’d rather not face.

• D Man says:

I could never, ever wish any good on the Maple Leafs.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Habfan17 says:

I want them to squeak in. If the draft lottery has changed and all teams missing the playoffs can move up to first, I would hate the see the leafs pick there!

Habfan17

• HabsPooch says:

If anyone’s a true Habs fan, you would want the Leafs out. Upsets happen in the playoffs and this Leaf team has had horseshoes up their butts this season and still have a good shot of making the playoffs even though they’ve lost seven straight. Never feel sorry for them. Ever!

20. Bill H says:

Being a Montreal fan living in Toronto, my head wishes no ill will on the Leafs and wants them to do well. But in my heart, well, that is another story. I think its because they have been so hopeless of so long, that its more entertaining to make fun of them than to cheer for them.

That said, Leafs need to lose tonight. What hope do they have to pull off 4 wins against Boston? It will be an embarrassment. They are better off missing the playoffs and getting a top 15 draft pick in June.

• Danno says:

I love the idea of the Habs being the only Canadian team in the playoffs. It’s driving the HNIC boys nuts.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Un Canadien errant says:

If they divested themselves of the truculence, of the Colton Orrs and the Fraser McLarens, if that puke Nazem Kadri would clean up his act, if Dion Phaneuf stopped cross-checking Brian Gionta and then running away from Brandon Prust, I wouldn’t have a problem with the Leafs.

I also hated the Leafs when they had dirty players like Nick Kypreos and Wade Belak and Darcy Tucker, but aside from that, beside the incessant hype from TSN and HNIC lately, I don’t really mind the Leafs.

But this season, yeah, I want them to lose, if only so that Randy Carlyle gets canned, and they move away from the faux-toughness, all the slashing and elbowing and interference and staged fights.

• MannyR says:

As a former Montrealer living in TO it gives me great joy to see the Leafs choke again.

21. rhino514 says:

Interesting article on EOTP about how Tinordi and Beaulieu are too good for the AHL.
    I don´t think we will ever find out why Beaulieu is still in the minors. His goals against stat is insane and the best on the habs, though it is a very small sample.
    The thing is, even if he does have a maturity issue, toiling in the monirs at this point isn´t going to help; they should deal with it at the pro level and try and sort it out; habs have a good room and plenty of guys who set an example.
    There are some red flags here. Players with these types of issues, if they turn out to be true, simply don´t end up doing well on the Montreal Canadiens; maybe on some other teams, but not here.
    Let´s hope it´s just a case of learning to play defensive defence; but the stats indicate this isn´t an issue.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I haven’t seen Nathan play lately, but he and Jarred were definitely not too good for the AHL for most of the season. They were downright invisible, and the Bulldogs play-by-play team became more vocal about that as the season wore on, that those two were expected to be leaders on this team, and instead it was Greg Pateryn who was doing the heavy lifting.

Considering what we saw from the Wings, all their young players, especially Gustav Nyquist, who’ve toiled quietly in the minors, I think it’s imperative to let our kids prove that they’re ready, that they’re indeed too good for the AHL, before we graduate them.

We said we’d be patient with our prospects, this is the time to be resolute. Even at the cost of subjecting ourselves to more of Francis Bouillon, Douglas Murray and Mike Weaver. Leave the kids in the minors, let them learn and mature, let them become men ready for the bigs, before we bring them up. It’s too soon to think these guys should be our saviours now.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t get this. I thought this prospect showed he was ready when he was up? To me, he didn’t seem at all out of place.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He did show great skill, but I think this is where Marc Bergevin’s pearl of wisdom, about never regretting bringing up a prospect too late, but often regretting bringing one up too soon, applies.

Could Nathan have sustained his play beyond the dozen or so games he played? Did the management have doubts about that? Did he have “nothing left to learn” in the AHL?

My genie wish for Nathan is for him to spend the summer in Brossard, training with Michaël Bournival and Jarred Tinordi and Alex Galchenyuk, and to pick up some of their mojo and attitude and work habits, and he comes into camp in ripping shape and impresses. He then starts the season in Hamilton and piles up the points, is a leader on and off the ice, he’s on the powerplay and penalty kill and he’s tough to play against and sticks up for his teammates, and halfway through the season he forces the Canadiens’ hand and he gets called up to stay.

• rhino514 says:

I get you, and those EOTP guys are indeed rascals and troublemakers. Yet Beaulieu played well during his stint and was already a better player than the 3 guys you mention. Maybe his teamates in Hamilton simply can´t take advantage of his feeds? They don´t seem to have much of a club in the way of offence.
        And why indeed hasn´t Pateryn gotten more games with the big club if he´s been that good?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t know that Greg Pateryn is “that good”, when I watched games he didn’t really stand out. One noticeable detail though was that for a while, he and Patrick Holland were on the first wave of the powerplay on the blue line.

I think we need to not consider our boys being in Hamilton as ‘penance’, an insult. Let’s buckle down and accept that a prospect can stay down there two or three seasons and learn the game, mature, like they do in Detroit.

Greg is a big right-handed shot, he’s playing big minutes, he’s progressing. He’s not spoiling like a bunch of bananas down there. When he’s ready, he’ll get a shot.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I agree. I also don´t want to see Bouillon or Murray in the playoffs. Beaulieu still has to learn but at least he can skate and move the puck. We also wouldn´t have to overplay Markov and Subban on the PP as he could give us a real decent second pair with Emelin. Giving Gorges, Bouillon and Weaver PP time is more than ridiculous and for some kind of reason Therrien absolutely doesn´t want to try a forward in that spot.

22. howiemorenz7 says:

Go Wings. Go ‘Jackets. I’ve always hated the Leafs. I remember the verbal jousting between Conn Smythe and us: “If you can’t lick ‘em in the alley, you can’t beat ‘em on the ice.” Yeah, well Conn, lick this.

As for MT and his revolving D, I just wanna shake him. Make up yer mind, get your pairs together and ride ‘em into the playoffs, and give PK at full time partner not named Cube Bully until Gorges comes back.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

23. habs001 says:

Still unlikely Leafs make the playoffs but if they do they could play Pitts not just Boston

24. Habilis says:

Holy crap, those 4 teams are so bad that the Devils actually have a real shot now. They sit at 76 points and have 2 games in hand on the Loafs.

And check out who they play to close out the season:

@ Islanders
    Panthers
    @ Sabres
    Caps
    @ Canes
    Flames
    @ Sens
    Islanders
    Bruins

One tough game and it’s the last one of the season, at home, and the Bruins are bound to be resting everyone.

Utterly amazing that they are still fully in the race with 76 points and 9 games to play.

25. jimmy shaker says:

C’mon washington…..take advantage of these game in hand on the leafs for the love of goodness. I hope detroit and c-bus cooperate tonight.

Parros nets his first goal tonight and danny B gets one as well.

shaker out!

• CJ says:

It seems as though nobody is stepping up to seal that eighth seed. A Leafs win tonight and they will be back in the driver’s seat.

• ABHabsfan says:

Put him in front of the net on the PP, give Gally a break from the beatings he has been taking

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habcouver says:

Holtby and the Caps are melting down in the 2nd.
      Ovie s approaching Yak’s record for +/- futility.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Storman says:

I am actually not upset if leafs win tonight,, because with the following scenario A leafs win tonight coupled with Detroit losing again on Sunday to Tampa,, Montreal could clinch at least 3rd in the Atlantic division and hence an official playoff berth by beating Florida tonight and Tampa on Tuesday or gaining 3 of a possible 4 points in our next 2 games, combined with the 2 losses this weekend for Detroit, they would only be able to get to 94 max the same as the leafs,,Not taking into account possible loser point losses though,, lol, should clinch sooner than later in most scenarios..

• jimmy shaker says:

Basically the habs are in….it’s just a matter of who gets home ice. Next order of business is the leafs not making the playoffs. Not sure why some on here actually want taranna to win. The next best thing to seeing montreal win is seeing taranna lose. This should be every habs fans desire….am I wrong?

shaker out!

• Storman says:

Pressure mounts very quickly this time of year,, teams lose a couple in a row,, another team goes on a run, and pushes to win out,, forces pressure to mount,, I will take the absolute clinch over the yes we are 98% sure in, also the quicker we clinch a spot,, the pressure releases on the boys,, and we can look at resting player options.. as far as leafs go really I love the rivalry,,but i really don’t care if leafs win if it helps us clinch earlier..and a Leafs Habs match up eventually once again in the playoffs would be amazing as is every Bruins Habs match up.. Habs playing the Leafs right now on ESPN CLASSIC in a classic overtime quarterfinal match up from NHL 1979 playoffs on ESPN classic..

• HabsPooch says:

You are correct. Baffles me there are some that have some compassion for at team that has Kadri and Phaneuf to make the playoffs???

• jimmy shaker says:

@monmick….I’m just gonna go ahead and pretend I didn’t read what you wrote!

shaker out!

26. Danno says:

This classic will need an update soon.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

27. CJ says:

Good afternoon folks.

Back from the museum and lunch. Heading for a pregame nap with the family….

Is this the George Parros farewell tour? Anaheim, check. Florida, check. So, this should be it I guess. Hopefully he goes out on a high note. No need to throw down, just skate 6-7 shifts and call it a night. Fast forward three months and George can call it a career.

Front and others know how much I respect the enforcers and the role they play. That said, this has to be the last of the franchise chasing the guys who are at the end of their careers. If we want to carry a capable deterrent in our 23 man roster, and I hope we do, let’s look at Gadzic or Rechlizc. Listening to Marc Bergevin’s interview with Knuckes, I agree, nobody is giving these guys away. You want to get bigger and tougher, you need to draft or sign and develop these players. Crisp, Nevins, Mac, Fournier, Thrower, Tinordi will all help in this regard. I’m sure there are more to follow. In the interim, let’s pick up a young, hungry fighter who is not injured (Parros) or unwilling (Larouque).

Shout out to Front, Hobie or any other fan of pugilism, check out the fight from the Tri-City Kelowna game last night. Dalton Thrower’s brother….. If anyone can throw in a link, it would be appreciated.

I look forward to connecting with everyone later, following the nap. Cheers, CJ

28. Habcouver says:

Caps are down 1-0 to the Booins. They need our support to move ahead of the Laffs!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Habilis says:

The wild card “race” is beyond pathetic at this point. I’ve never seen 4 teams that want it less.

Only reason one of them will even get to 82 tonight is because the Loafs play the Wings.

Freakin war of attrition is what it is.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

Ideal scenario for playoffs? Certainly not seeding 1 to 16, then pairing off top vs. bottom. Ideally, each division champion gets in, plus two wild cards from each conference, doesn’t matter which division. Seed 1-4, play semis and a conference final, then a Cup final.

Ensure there are referees at the game so that infractions are called, and the best team wins.

Done.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• icemachine says:

I like the 4 rounds, but would be happy with a best of 5 for the first two rounds and only Conference finals and Cup Finals being best of 7

• Starlight says:

Much too logical.

• DominicanHab says:

Way too much playoff revenue lost. The owners would never go for it

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, the operative word there is ‘ideal’.

It will only happen when you fine folks revolt and install me as a benevolent dictator, the NHL’s version of Plato’s philosopher king.

• CJ says:

Hi Norm. What you have described is essentially what is happening this year. Every GM in the league is opposed to this format.

Personally, I don’t mind the 1-16. Logistical nightmare (LA versus the Habs as an example), but it should generate a Cup final contested by the two best teams. The existing format could have (arguably) the two best teams – Blues and Blackhawks or Bruins and Habs – meet in the second round.

I always regarded 1-8 in each conference as a logistical compromise to 1-16. Lastly, there needs to be a mechanism to address the imbalance that currently exists with 16 teams in the east and 14 in the west. 1-16 helps to accomplish this.

Food for thought. CJ

30. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Parros? Is Florida going Goon in the dying days of their season? Eliminated, and their best forwards are out with injuries. Oh wait… Parros was a Panther. Okay, never mind.

31. Un Canadien errant says:

Habs playoff chances are listed as 100% by Sports Club Stats. Not mathematically guaranteed, but essentially they’re in, think of their chances as 99.999999%.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’d clinch a playoff spot first before discussing possible matchups.

• It’s all about support, excitement and how bad this teams was and then with two moves the Habs look different, and sure of themselves. Bringing in Vanek, made one line better, and the team set at all 4 lines. It’s perfect. For sure the team isn’t looking ahead, but as fans this is exciting. They look great. Just need the defense to get on board, and Jim’s your uncle! :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• DipsyDoodler says:

According to the stats site we have clinched it. Not officially, but because the teams chasing us play each there we apparently can’t finish out of the playoffs.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

33. icemachine says:

So we get Bob Cole and Greg Millen calling tonight’s game, nothing like a 10 second delay between the audio and video :)

34. habsfan0 says:

So,when is the earliest the Habs can clinch a playoff spot?

• Storman says:

lets say Montreal wins tonight 93 points,, Toronto beats Detroit,, that would mean Toronto max total would be 94 with a win out season, and Detroit would be down to 96 max with a win out,, So Montreal beats Tampa on Tuesday to get to 95 closes out Toronto from catching us, and we would need Detroit to lose to Tampa on Sunday after losing to Leafs Saturday night, bringing down there max to 94,, so Montreal could in that scenario clinch at least 3rd in the Atlantic and a playoff berth on Tuesday at 95pts in that scenario.

35. GGtheHab says:

this should clear up the confusion…and it isnt 3 vs 4 and 5 vs6, it just worked out that way…it is actually the 2-3 seeds in each division playing.

36. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I want to see Parros go first in the shootout tonight.

37. SA - #25 says:

Hope it’s not a too serious problem with pleks and his family, we need him in the lineup soonest, he’s a very important part of the team going forward!

38. UKRAINIANhab says:

Should be a good game tonight on Hockey night in Toronto between the Leafs and the Wings. Since our Habs are going to beat the Panthers of course I will be channel flipping between games. I watched the leafs last night and lets just say that they are not a playoff team.

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Hickey writes that PK is not the most valuable D-man on the Habs…this might be the most stupidest thing he has ever written.

40. dhenry1234 says:

Does anyone know how many points the Habs need to 100% clinch a playoff spot?

• Oleg Lupien says:

8 more points will get us to 99 and that will absolutely guarantee a spot. The most points Det, Col, and Wash can get is 98 (off three of them would have to go 9-0 in their last nine games to get to 98, so we’re are in a great spot barring a sudden 5 game pointless streak).

• GGtheHab says:

5 more…if wash, det, tor and clb all win out..3 will likely do it though

• Storman says:

Detroit, Washington and Columbus still could finish with 98 points max,, so Montreal would need 99 like Pittsburgh just attained and clinched,, but of course that number will come down to probably 94 or 95 points or less realistically..

• Maritime Ronn says:

As of today, the Habs have 91 points.

The 7th and 8th place tied Columbus/Detroit/Washington all have 80 points in 73 games.

That type of pace shows that 89.9 – 90 points is good for the playoffs.
      91 points would be a lock.
      Habs are a Lock.

Leaf fans have to be concerned today:
      If even a low of 90 points gets a team to the playoffs, they would need to finish their last 7 games with a record such as 4-1-2 then pray 2 of the 3 teams mentioned above don’t go on any type of a winning streak

• Rugger says:

Actually it is only 7 not 8 because Habs own the tiebreaker (ROW) and the bubble team (Wash) cannot match the Habs ROW even winning rest of games in regulation.

Edit: also if Detroit, Wash & BJ’s have any games against each other that would lower the number too as all 3 will need to pass the Habs for them to miss. I am too lazy to look up the schedules.

• ckazanas says:

Habs magic number is 4, that is any combination of habs wins and individual losses in regulation by Columbus, Detroit or Washington totaling 4 and the habs clinch. So at the moment we need 99 points to clinch but if any one of those teams loses a game we need 97, etc

41. Maritime Ronn says:

Re Parros in the lineup.

Here’s hoping that Florida just relaxes tonight and plays out the string…and tough guy Krys Barch doesn’t do anything stupid where clothes branded ‘Violent Gentlemen’ Parros feels a need to respond.

Barch has gone toe-to-toe with Lucic and Eric Boulton…the guy that gave Parros his last concussion.

Barch and Parros were not teammates last year in Florida – and this may be an opportunity for a soon to be 35 year old guy like Barch, to prove that he deserves another contract of the NHL minimum $550,000 USD next year.

Interesting.
    A guy that plays 5 minutes a game in the NHL – that never scored more than 4 goals or 9 points in an NHL season, belongs to the supposed masses despised top 1% of US earners… Consider that the medium (midpoint) US ‘household earnings’ last year was $52,000…..

42. UKRAINIANhab says:

Parros in for Pleky. Thats quite the downgrade lol

43. SA - #25 says:

If this is the playoff set up 1-8 2-7 3-4 5-6 the #1 & 2 teams get a easy ride, that don’t seem fair guess they are rewarding 1&2 for finishing at the top …

44. PrimeTime says:

Posters talking playoff match ups. Nice! Where are those that “guaranteed” the Habs would NOT make the playoffs!! The myopic view of some fans is very entertaining….I want to hear from them again or do we have to wait until the Habs are behind in a series???

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

45. Storman says:

The season is not a balanced schedule you play more games within your divisions, and conferences,, the play off format tries to stay as close to DIVISIONAL BRACKETS as possible.. The only crossover are if the 2 wildcard teams come from the same division.. In that scenario the team with the most points in the conference plays the weakest wild card team.. if you are a wild card team and you crossover to the other divison bracket, there is no re-seeding, hence say Detroit and Toronto make the playoffs this year as wild card teams with the Leafs being the last qualifier,, The Leafs would play Boston,, The Red Wings would crossover and play Pittsburgh,, but if the Red wings were to upset Pittsburgh they still would stay in the Metropolitan division bracket there is no re seeding..Hence Detroit could become Metropolitan division champions in that scenario, and then play the Atlantic division champion Montreal Canadiens for the right to go to the Stanley Cup final..obviously 2nd place plays 3rd place automatically in each divisional bracket, and in a perfect NHL world 1st place would play fourth in the division except when there is a crossover wildcard,, hope this helps….

• Shamrock says:

Thank you for that Storman ,, no re seeding,, so this could mean, you can have two two Playoff division Winners coming from same Division,,Like Montreal winning the Atlantic against Boston ,, and Toronto winning Metro against Philly and Montreal could Play Toronto in the Conference Finals is this a possible scenario ..

46. ProHabs says:

Why is it 98% chance that Habs will play Tampa Bay in the first round.

IF Montreal is 3rd in the conference shouldn’t they play the team finishing 6th.

IF Tampa is 4th in the conference shouldn’t they play the team finishing 5th.

47. Habfan10912 says:

There are days on HIO that seem to shock the memory board of my small mind. The baseball memories being shared on the site today is one such day.

After a 3 hour drive, my Dad, brother and I arrived at Jarry Park. We quickly exited our car, my brother and I exited about getting our tickets and finding our seats. My Dad, hobbled by a knee injury, struggled to keep up with his 2 rug rats.

As we continued our walk my Dad said, “Hey boys. Look! Its Jackie Robinson.”.

“Aw come on Dad!”, we said not knowing the history of Robinson with Montreal.
    “What would Jackie Robinson be doing at a Expo game?”

Now Dad was probe to be a bit if a jokester so my brother and I weren’t falling for this.

Jackie must have heard us and he stooped dead in his tracks. Turned and looked at my Dad and smiled. My Dad did that parent head nod. Robinson noded back as if to say OK kets have a little fun hear at the boys expense.

Prior to the game the PR announced Jackie Robinson to throw out the first ball. There came the man we had seen in the parking lit. My brother and I looked at each other with shock!

We looked over at Dad and he just had this grin on his face not saying a word. On the trip home my brother and I were quiet. Dad? He just grinned all the way home. x

• Reminds me of this time a friend of mine drove me and my two little ones to a Mets game this past summer. Baseball for those who enjoy it is no less special than hockey. We will never forget what you did for us Jim, just like you will never forget Jackie Robinson! :)

GoHaBsGo

#5 All Time, NUMBER 31, CAAAAAAREY PRIIIIIIIIIICE

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Habcouver says:

Thanks for sharing, Hf and sholi.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

48. CHicoHab says:

Markov-Emelin
    Gorges-Weaver
    Subban-??????

49. Plekasuares says:

Yes!!! No Tinordi! No costly errors….

• docketrocket says:

Not like Duncan Keith last night, for example. Only people like Subban and Tinordi make blue line errors in the NHL.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya it’s not like we’d we want Tinordi to get more NHL experience so he doesn’t make as many errors or anything? He should be perfect every night already!!!

• likehoy says:

not the best time of year with major points on the line to be christening young guys

• Hobie Hansen says:

A game against Florida without Luongo? Is there really much of a difference between Tinordi, Murray or Bouillon. I’m not mad he’s not in there. The original comment was a bit silly, that’s all.

• B says:

@Dave_Stubbs:
        If Tinordi sits Sat., it’s part of MT’s plan to rotate him w/ Murray, Bouillon. “We communicate w/ them. They understand” MT says

Therrien said yesterday there’s no reason (read: punishment) to pull a D for another, but rather part of a rotation

–Go Habs Go!–

50. DipsyDoodler says:

Gomez has more points than Clarkson.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

51. D Mex says:

Here’s a bit of nasty business from the Q :

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• B says:

Speaking of the Q, Nevins with a goal and an assist last night helped Rouyn-Noranda win 6-2 and eliminate Quebec (who finished 15 points ahead of them). Tough guy Nevins had 3 goals and 3 assists in that 5 game series. A good combination of grit and skill.

–Go Habs Go!–

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

I understand someone needs to sit, why Tinordi?

53. Strummer says:

Hickey makes a good argument for re-signing Markov.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

54. Habfan10912 says:

First to hope George and Murray keep things calm tonight.

55. CJ says:

I grew up with a young man who was drafted and could have filled the role. My grandfather and his father used to work together, partnering on projects in the automotive shop, scraping money together where they could. Funny, when we played hockey against each other growing up they always sat together.

As I got older (17-18) I used to watch him play while he was with the Peterborough Petes. He became the captain and formed a part of a massive defence, dubbed the twin towers, with Kurtis Foster. He simply hammered everyone in the OHL including future teammates Chris Neil and Brian McGratton. He was drafted by the Habs, but never played a single game within the organization at any level. He was a late bloomer, but is still in the league today…..

Matt Carkner

56. DipsyDoodler says:

He’s the only forward available.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

57. Mavid says:

yea I was thinking of some other reasons..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

58. Loop_Garoo says:

Weise would still be hurt, Moen probably too as its likely Parros wouldn’t have been on the ice. This idea that Parros can see the future and would have stopped the check that hurt Weise is odd.