Parros in, Pacioretty out for Habs against Wild

The Canadiens skated Friday morning in Minnesota as they prepared to face the Wild Friday night (8 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690) and coach Michel Therrien confirmed that George Parros will be in the lineup, playing on the fourth line with Ryan White and Michael Blunden. Parros has been sidelined since suffering a concussion in the season opener on Oct. 1.

Max Pacioretty, recovering form a lower-body injury, won’t be in the lineup against the Wild, but might play Saturday in Colorado against the Avalanche (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Carey Price will start in goal against Minnesota and Peter Budaj will start in Colorado.

Brandon Prust (upper-body injury) and Daniel Briere (concussion) made the father/son road trip, but neither player is close to returning to the lineup.

Parros (photo above) shaved off his trademark moustache on Thursday as part of “Movember”.

“I feel lighter and quicker (without the mustache), but less manly,” Parros joked to reporters in Minnesota after practice. “I feel good. I’m at the point where I can get back to playing with confidence. I’m not going to rush it. That’s important when it comes to this type of injury. I’m ready to play.”

Parros sent out this tweet after practice: “I will be auctioning off my game used sticks from every game for the month of @Movember … Stay tuned for details”

You can follow Parros on Twitter by clicking here.

The Wild has three Quebecers on its roster: forwards Torrey Mitchell of Greenfield Park and Jason Pominville of Repentigny, and defenceman Marco Scandella of Montreal.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Wild preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Wild’s reworked lines ready for Habs, Minneapolis Star Tribune

All systems go for Wild, minnesotawild.com

Players’ wives, girlfriends discuss “Movember” (video), Canadiens.com

Guess the ‘stache, Canadiens.com

Varlamov to start Friday for Avalanche, NHL.com

Accuser says Varlamov was “laughing, having fun” during assault, SI.com

Varlamov should step aside, Denver Post

1. frontenac1 says:

The fights in the NHL have gone downhill recently. I miss the good old bench clearing Donnybrooks!The AHL farm team of Chicago Blackhawk had a couple and the KHL had some but, Damn! Let’s get some Nordiques/Habs shit going again.

2. Phil C says:

Subban is eligible for arbitration next summer. Given that very real possibility that the team may have to argue PK’s worth in front of an arbitrator, shouldn’t they be careful what the say about him in public? Maybe just give vague, non-committal comments that are neither positive nor negative? You know, exactly how Therrien has been answering questions about PK?

3. JUST ME says:

I thought that the Canucks would turn the page on the Sedin era by either letting them both go or one of them. They will be 40 at the end of their new deal.
    Personnaly i have always thought that the Canucks were looking at the wrong place when they were wondering about trading Roberto. I just do not think that the Sedins have what it takes to lead the team to the cup even as twins ! Man what i would do with twins ! Oops sorry!

7 million a year each is way too much . They could have had much better with 14 milions to spend. Just my 2 cents…

• Chris says:

Not sure that you can do much better than the Sedins for $14 M. That is the going rate for guys that are perenially near the top-10 in league scoring. Only Crosby and Kesler have higher average ice times per game than the Sedins this season.

By the way, their deals end when they are 38, not 40.

4. Say Ash says:

Parros is one of the few guys that actually looks better with the ‘stache. Movember reminds us every year that most do not.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Ozmodiar, shiram, you guys are saying that buying out Daniel Brière would cost peanuts since he’s already on a buyout. Can you point us to a source that explains this rule please, because I’ve never heard or read of it before, and because you just made my day or maybe my week.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

6. sweetmad says:

Thanks Front for your words in the previous post,wish I was wise,the things I said about PK,to me just seem like logic and good sense.Now I come here and again there is talk about relations between, PK and MT,when are people going to realise, that anything,anything at all,said by the media is to be taken with a pinch of salt,example Iggy going to the Gooins,when he went to the Pens.

I cannot understand how people are so guillable,things like PK was hated in the room,garbage,a person like PK,can be exasperating at times,but there is just nothing there to dislike.You can’t expect a whole team,to spend the amount of time that they do together,not to have disagreements,case in point look at HIO.

When you get to my age,and experience,you need proof of everything,I don’t believe for one moment MT has a down on PK,might be that MT has very high expectations of PK, because of his level of talent,and cannot understand PK’s exhuberance and flamboyance,sounds to me like any adult man,and young man relationship.

These are people with their own quirks and foilables,as long as they have the interests of our beloved HABS at heart,that is all that matters.As for the media,they have taken over where the old fashion music halls left off,good for a laugh,not much else.

Sorry Boone,but the media can make a sideways glance,mean the world when it means nothing at all.
    GO HABS GO

• habcertain says:

if you go back to Therrien’s quotes, what has come out of his mouth when he was on AC, you see that he was not a PK supporter and was quit critical about many facets of the person/player. Therrien may have been good coaching boys in Granby, not sure about men in the pros. I suspect he never thought he would get another shot, which to me was why he was a little over the top about PK.

• Old Bald Bird says:

People are just asking questions. That’s all. I wonder, for example, why I have never heard, or can’t recall hearing, a positive PK comment form MT … and MB hasn’t exactly been effusive either. We sure seem to hear such comments about other guys on the team. Tough love? How much development does a Norris winner need? I am simply puzzled by things and most of what I read on this site (not you) are condescending remarks re those who are attempting to discuss the matter.

• habcertain says:

I think he simply doesn’t like him, and you are right about the lack of praise for the team’s best player, makes absolutely no sense.

• sweetmad says:

I don’t hear MT praising anyone much,sometimes he will say a good thing about a player,but that is the only answear that he can give to the question asked,listen to the question’s asked by the media when it comes to PK.

Don’t you think, that if the team or a player hears these things,being said in the media,they will listen for them when the coach speaks,and what could be said as a perfectly innocent way,could be misconstrued.I don’t think we help our team in any way,by adding to this.

I know the players don’t have time to read all the rubbish said or printd about them,but you can be sure their families do.
          GO HABS GO

7. Kooch7800 says:

So trying to figure this out in my mind and getting a headache….

Lappierre gets 5 game for a hit from behind that looked more like an accident and Ashton gets 2 games for a hit from behind.

I am ok with Lapps getting 5 but Ashton should have as well

Lapps hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIO8ShhkJTc

Ashton hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ls37v5fyYk

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• keviathan says:

I definitely think the Ashton hit was more reckless/dangerous, even though the outcome wasn’t as bad. It seems like NHL discipline is getting more and more random…..unless you believe in the conspiracy theories. Which I do.

With Emelin set to return soon-ish I’ve been watching a few of his hit compilations on youtube, talk about a guy who throws clean, solid hip check, he knows how to take someone out without going for the head:

• Kooch7800 says:

Emelin, Subban and Murray all hit relatively clean.

I can’t wait until Emelin is back. Tinordi will be physical as well but he needs to fill out some more and gain some confidence.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• keviathan says:

You could add Bouillon to the list as well even though he doesn’t bring the same size + weight as those three.

PK has a tendency to leave his skates on big hits which could get him into trouble one of these days….but otherwise yeah we’ve got some solid bodies on D and here’s to hoping Tinordi will be a beast in another year or two!

• Just a Habs Fan says:

PK misses most of the attempts to hit people….I don’t see where he is a feared dman for hits…I know he has a couple of really jarring hits over the past couple of years but really he does miss most of them and takes himself completely out of the play often.

• B says:

Lapierre has a history, Ashton does not (yet).

–Go Habs Go!–

8. awesomerino says:

Christ, 49% of HIO users think MT’s doing the right thing by leaving PK off the PK? Watch more L’Antichambre, I dare you.

• johnnylarue says:

There’s an important distinction to be made between “doing the right thing” and “not making a mistake”, which is how the poll question is phrased.

And speaking of semantics, I don’t understand what all the fuss is about: anytime Subban is on the ice, it’s “PK Time” in my books! The kid’s already averaging 24 minutes of PK Time per game–how much more do you really need!?

9. Habs_101 says:

I think next year we have plenty of cap space to maneuver, and accommodate anything MB wants to do… the cap is likely to be 70.2 million next year based on early reports, and taking the revenue from all years before the last lockout and using the cap increase then.

Couple that with the fact that we have so many UFA’s and we have a lot of options for next year.

For me, I would be buying out Briere (suck it up MB!) take the 333,333.00 cap hit for two seasons. Re-sign Markov, Subban, Eller, Leblanc, and White (One of Diaz of Boullion as depth – whoever will take no raise to stay). Let Gionta walk and trade DD to anyone for anything… UFA —> Matt Moulson (5.75 million).

Potentially;

Moulson – Galchenyuk – Gallagher
    Pacioretty – Eller – Collberg
    Bournival – Plekanec – Bourque
    Prust – Leblanc – Moen
    White

Markov – Subban
    Tinordi – Gorges
    Emelin – Beaulieu
    Bouillon/Diaz – Pateyrn

Price
    Budaj

I have Markov signed to a two year 9.5 million (4.75 per 5 and 4.5) Subban at 60 million (7.5/8years) Eller 8 million (2 year bridge), Leblanc and White at 750,000. Total cap hit would be about 67.5 leaving us a great amount of wiggle room, I think this line-up looks very similar to ours now, but it is bigger, younger and still has enough veterans when you consider everyone will be a year older next season!!

Cheers,

GO HABS GO!

• aharon says:

And you want us to get our asses kicked? Where is the muscle?

Kovalchuk never gives up

• Habs_101 says:

What is softer about this team than the one we currently have?

Moulson > Gionta
        Collberg > Briere
        Leblanc > DD
        Tinordi > Bouillon
        Beaulieu > Diaz

This is strictly in terms of size (height and weight) although I think the argument could be made that at this time next year it will ALSO apply to overall skill AND potential.

If you are really concerned about toughness we can re-sign Parros… between him, white, prust, moen, and tinordi I think we should hold our own if we need to play a really physical team.

I think this team is better than our current version in almost every measurable facet. BUT, just my opinion.

GO HABS GO!

• Kooch7800 says:

Colberg isn’t NHL ready.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habs_101 says:

Collberg WASNT NHL ready… he needs to play on NA ice. He has all of the tools to be successful. I certainly think he should get a 10 game try out next year in Briere’s spot- a bonafide top 6 role ( I dont think he would be any worse than Briere had until his injury).

Then we will determine if he is NHL ready, another year of development will be great, he is only 19!

GO HABS GO!

• galchenyuk27 says:

whos this moulson you speak of

• mrhabby says:

Briere will not be bought out..come on.
      Iam sure Geoff Molson would just love to cut another cheque after paying off Gomez and Kaberle not to play for his team. Talk about a PR disaster.

• Kooch7800 says:

Briere if he continues on the same clip as he has been may be a buy out target. I still can’t believe they signed Briere. The writing was on the wall for this guy and he is done. he should retire

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

10. wjc says:

Remember Cole…..oh my god, 4 years, he will be terrible his last two years…….oh wait…..he is long gone……all that fretting for nothing.

wjc

11. Say Ash says:

I heard from a completely unreliable source that Downie was seeing Varlamov’s lady, hence the trade. It beats the Sochi conspiracy theory, at least.

• johnnylarue says:

That Sochi conspiracy thing is hilarious stuff. I love seeing their bizarre ‘feuding villages’ Dark Ages mentality being applied to contemporary global politics.

(To be clear, I’m referring to the Old Boys holding power over there, and not to the Russian people in general…)

• awesomerino says:

That’s not all it beats.

• sweetmad says:

I think this is another case of bad rumours,I don’t really care,who sleeps with who,as long as they play good hockey.

I don’t like the fact that Varlamov hit his lady and I hope he gets jail time,but repeating things like this is ruining the reputation of who could be a very good lady.I wouldn’t blame her if she did sleep with another man,after living in an abusive relationship.

Don’t point fingers unless you have been there,take it from some one who knows.
      GO HABS GO

12. wjc says:

People talk about G.M.’s with personalities. Selke and Pollock, who operated in a system where there were 5 other teams and signing players at 13 years old, in a french market that idolized ‘the Rocket, with the right climate and atmosphere for hockey.

Chicago, Detroit, New York and Boston had kids growing up wanting to play basketball, baseball and football and they all had to come north to Canada to get there talent.

That being said, they both had very distant and private personalities. Selke even raised rare chickens as a hobby (how weird is that) imagine of Gautier had done that.

These guys had all the advantages, and Pollack quit, because he knew the draft was going to make Montreal like any other team.

Every other G.M. from that time as had to work in an entirely different playing field, with 29 other teams competing for players through a universal draft that assures no one has an advantage.

So comparing era’s is unfair.

wjc

13. johnnylarue says:

Anyone else think it’s an extremely reckless move for Parros to suit up for his first game back from a concussion WITHOUT HIS FACE MATTRESS??? Talk about asking for trouble…

14. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Jeez, some people are so wrapped up in instant gratification that the miss the finer points – great post by Chris.

It may make people feel a lot better to gripe about Briere and how he is singularly responsible for tooth decay, NSA and the ACA but c’mon!

He started slowly (a bit gimpy?) and is now hurt … so what? He is going to have plenty of time to heal and it is the last 30 games that is going to matter.

He is not going to be bought out, sent out on an ice flow etc. MB/MT have a plan about how he will be used (see DD) so you can vent all you want ONCE but after that it comes off as echo chamberism.

Same goes for the young defence. Think back to the wretched millennium habs and how the Hainsey/Komisarek/Markov struggled … it happens, which is why you try to develop them in the AHL if possible.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• galchenyuk27 says:

I think bergevin picked up briere for playoff scoring mainly we sucked so bad last year in the playoffs he had to do something. he knows this team is playoff worthy without briere, but that just gives us an extra weapon. We don’t have cammy anymore and briere has cammy like numbers in the post season. We all know cammy will b available at the deadline this year, so would you rather have cammy back or briere in the line up personally id like to have both playing for my playoff team.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Briere has averaged about 1 point per game over his entire career in the playoffs…two years ago he exceeded that but the rest not so…last year he played 2010-2011 he had 9 points in 11 games…he isn’t close to what he once was…he is a small player way past his prime….. he won’t likely be mush of a force going forward. Check out his stats in playoffs.
        Google this :
        danny briere playoff totals by the year

15. rhino514 says:

I understand the usefulness of Murray against the leafs, Bruins, Sens, and maybe the Flyers, and Kings, but otherwise I think Bouillon is a much better defenceman and does not play small either.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Rhino, I think the sense is that you want the third pairing to have a bit of size to fend off the pack animals of the fourth line, trying to cause mayhem in the zone, leading to turnovers and crease traffic.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• johnnylarue says:

I want to agree with this, and mostly I do…

It’s just that that guys like Murray (and the much more well-rounded/complete Yemmy) make opposing forwards second-guess a lot more when entering the zone, forechecking, etc. It can give your D-squad an important psychological edge, which can often have a more significant impact on a game than simply “working hard and not making mistakes”, which are Cube’s main attributes.

16. ClutchNGrab says:

As per Darren Dregger:

@DarrenDreger :If I were picking the CDN Oly team, Subban would be on it. Based on intel gathered, at this pt, he’s a longshot…behind Boyle and Letang. Doesn’t mean P.K won’t make the Oly team, but, management concerns with high risk play still outweigh his offensive strengths.

Now I will let Boyle alone since he played in the Olympics in 2010, but what’s the logic behind Letang being less of a risk than Subban. It’s a small sample but in four games, Letang is minus four in a team that dresses Crosby and Malkin.

Calling them equal just because of the experience factor would be laughable by itself, but saying one is less of a risk, that is just ridiculous.

Not to mention their history of concussions.

• habcertain says:

to let the reigning Norris Trophy winner sit at home would open up an onslaught of criticism, especially if they don’t bring home the gold, can’t see it happening.

17. Luke says:

Well, folks, I’m gonna try and get Beer day started a little bit early.

A quick stop at the pub and off to see Eklbad tonight. He looked very good last year, I wonder how he looks now.

Enjoy the evening’s entertainment (whatever it may be)!

18. Chris says:

Looking at the numbers, Montreal is living dangerously right now.

Since their 5-3 win against Columbus two weeks ago, here are some telling statistics:

Team record: 3-3-0
    Goals for: 12
    Goals against: 10
    Shots for per game: 26.5
    Shots against per game: 32

On the personal front, the Habs have a few guys that have gone cold:

P.K. Subban: 6 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 4 Hits, 8 BS, 10 shots
    Brendan Gallagher: 4 GP, 1 A, 2 Hits, 7 shots
    Lars Eller: 8 GP, 0 G, 2 A, 19 Hits, 19 shots
    Alex Galchenyuk: 9 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 3 Hits, 16 shots

It’s pretty easy to get pessimistic with numbers like that.

So what’s keeping the Habs alive while they deal with injuries and the struggles of their prized kids, who are being forced to deal with opponents keying in on stopping them?

Obviously, stellar goaltending by both Price and Budaj has been critical, but that has been there all season.

Brian Gionta: 7 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5 hits, 19 shots
    Tomas Plekanec: 7 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 2 hits, 23 shots
    Michael Bournival: 7 GP, 3 G, 4 A, 8 Hits, 18 shots
    Andrei Markov: 7 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 4 hits, 21 BS, 11 shots
    Josh Gorges: 9 GP, 1 G, 3 A, 15 hits, 30 BS, 6 shots

With the exception of Bournival, the guys carrying the team of late have been the team’s leadership brigade: Gionta and Plekanec have been driving the offence, while Markov and Gorges have been sacrificing their bodies and playing sound defensive hockey. Throw in the the heroics of Price and Budaj all season long, and you’ve got a team that is playing New Jersey Devils hockey.

When the kids got off to a hot start, many Habs fans were busy dreaming of dumping Gionta and Markov at the deadline, and trading Plekanec to make room for Galchenyuk, and dumping Gorges because he’s useless.

Now, when the going got tough, we see why those guys are worth their salaries. They are the ones who are helping the team find a way to gain important points at a time when their roster isn’t all that intimidating.

A day will come when the Habs don’t need all of Gionta, Markov, Gorges, and Plekanec. But that day hasn’t come yet. Those 4 guys ARE the leadership of the Montreal Canadiens. Trading any of them away would be a massive mistake. I don’t see Gionta re-signing in Montreal at the end of the year. But this team, with the returns of Pacioretty, Prust, Emelin and Moen, can easily go on a run in the playoffs.

I still think the Habs need another proven goal-scoring winger, preferably with some size. Scott Hartnell, who is struggling in Philadelphia, might be a good reclamation project but the contract he is on is hideous. Matt Moulson will be dangled by Buffalo for picks and prospects, and maybe he is worth going after as a rental. The bidding on him is going to be fierce, however.

• JF says:

Excellent post. I totally agree.

• Maksimir says:

Nice post….

I know Subban will bounce back but I hope Galch & Eller don’t continue this cold streak much longer. Mabye Eller will have a repeat of his 4 goal game against Minny? Though I’d rather see 4 goals over 3-4 games instead.

On a good note, Varlamov is in tonight which means Giguere tomorrow? I think its time for Colorado to come back done to earth. They remind me of last’s year’s Habs: not as bad as the previous season but playing over their heads in the current one.

• rhino514 says:

The habs don´t need another proven goal scorer.
      They are probably the only team in the league that can put nine offensively capable guys in their top nine….plus have Prust on the fourth line, who scored a couple of goals when given quality minutes and could play third line in my book. And that´s not including Briere, who is an unknown factor at this point.
      The habs have not been this deep offensively since the early eighties.

• Phil C says:

“I still think the Habs need another proven goal-scoring winger, preferably with some size.”

I thought that too until Bournival started playing so well. Not only has he been productive, but he is responsible in his own end and seems to have chemistry with Plekanec. If everyone is healthy, the Habs have:

Galchenyuk-Gallagher
      Bournival-Gionta
      Pacioretty-Bourque

Who would you replace with a guy like Moulson?

• Chris says:

Bourque, Desharnais (letting Galchenyuk play centre), or Gallagher (and boy am I going to catch flak for that inclusion). Bourque is inconsistent with his effort, but he can be physical and is decent defensively, things that are important in the playoffs.

Desharnais can be a good player on the right team. That team is not Montreal, as they already have other guys of the same ability. I think a guy like Desharnais would thrive in Florida, Nashville or some other offensively challenged team where he could get some better minutes without the pressure of being a Quebec-born centre of the Montreal Canadiens.

Gallagher is consistent and feisty, but he’s not really built for the playoffs. He was easily one of the weaker forwards for the Habs in the playoffs. His +/- was deceptive, as he was one of the few remaining in the blowout loss after all the penalties, allowing his numbers to get inflated the wrong way. But he’s easily pushed off the puck, and is probably the worst defensive forward on the team. Moulson, at this point, is a much better player. Were it not for that bloody contract, I would take Hartnell over Gallagher, truth be told.

I love smaller players, as you can tell from my favourite players list. Koivu, Petrov, and Lebeau have all been favourites. I love what Gallagher does too, but I’m still not sold on him as a complete hockey player.

Windows do not come open very often. Price seems to be on his game this year. If that continues, this might be one of their best chances to go on a run, and they need to get tougher up front if they are going to survive three or four rounds.

All good points, getting Max and Prust back helps a great deal as well.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It’s a well balanced team. Are the other guys picking it up because more attention is being paid to the EGG? Maybe that will switch around again.

• Phil C says:

This is a good point. The success of the Eller line has allowed the Plekanec line some more room to be successful. This is the value of having secondary scoring, it is tough to stop both scoring lines. The scary part is that they might have three scoring lines once Pacioretty is healthy.

• habcertain says:

we have not been that impressive and easily could have a losing record, except for some stellar goaltending, as you point out. I think we will struggle to get to the dance, unless our sticks come alive.

19. Chrisadiens says:

I wonder if I can get Charles Provost Linten to sing the anthems at my wedding? Boone can you pass him my email address? :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Saw your posts down below about playing the Coldplay song, just don’t tell her that the name of the song is “Fix You”, if you do, better tell her that you think she will do that for you!

I mentioned down below, do L and I get to hold the flags when the song starts?

20. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I fully expect Parros’s ‘stache to be it’s usual size and thickness by tomorrow night’s game.

21. Sportfan says:

Parros really is a great guy, the stick idea for charity is a great one. He fits into the Habs class list very well.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

22. Ozmodiar says:

For those stressing over Briere’s contract next year….

Because he’s already collecting buy-out money, if he were bought out next summer, his cap hit would be $333,333 for 2 years.

That’s it.

23. Sportfan says:

Sedin Twins extended for four more years, I don’t see them ever splitting up, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habilis says:

It’s cool, I agree. I’m still amazed by the fact that Burke pulled it off way back when.

It’s also a little creepy. I get that they’re twins and as such have some kind of bond I’ll never understand, but the way they answer “we” to every question is a little off-putting.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It might seem so from a distance, but they really are brothers though. They’re always hacking at each other and dissing each other, even in interviews, it’s kind of funny.

ie: “Henrik, tell us about that pass you made to set up the goal in OT.”

“Well, Ryan did all the work and got me the puck in the slot, and I knew Daniel was at the back door, I’m just glad he didn’t mess it up for once.”

They do stuff like that all the time. So I don’t get the creepy reference, maybe it’s a perception thing from afar, but they’re both really good guys who are very active and respected in the Vancouver community. It’s great that they will get to finish their career as Canucks.

• Habilis says:

I’m not trying to insult them as people in any way. I think they’re both great players and great people from everything I’ve ever read.

Twins who look that much alike and answer questions with “we” just creep me out. It would be true for me of any twins, I guess. I just see them the most because I’m a hockey fan.

Well thinking about it now, hot lady twins, I’d probably be OK with. ;)

24. frontenac1 says:

I hope Danny Boy well,but am I the only one who hasn’t missed him at all?

25. Luke says:

Today’s news blast:

4 years at 28mm each for the Sedins.

Parros auctioning of his game used sticks for month for Movember.

26. Habsrule1 says:

I’ve never been a huge Briere fan and not a big fan of his even now. That said, I find it comical that many of you have decided he’s garbage after 8 games with a new team. I agree that at that age, players rarely improve, but can we be realistic about a guy who has played 8 games? I still think he can help the team.
    He’s definitely being proven right when it comes to players not wanting to play here due to the ridiculous expectations. Crap on the guy after 40 games…not after 8.

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

Can I still hate the cap hit he brings though? Cause that’s a pretty high cap hit for the player he is.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, ok.
        I’m not thrilled with the signing, but it is what it is, and I don’t deem it a total waste until we see a decent sample size.

Go Habs Go!!

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

This has nothing to do with his performance thus far, and everything to do with Bergevin stating that the team needs to get bigger and develop younger talent, and then signing a 5,9 36 year old guy with a concussion history and rapidly diminishing numbers since 2010-11.

And why did he sign him? To hand the torch to at the start of the season?

Where do you think M. Bournival would be if Briere hadn’t got injured? Playing on a top line? No. And who would you prefer was playing on that line?

4 million dollars would help a lot in signing Subban and Markov right now.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

27. shiram says:

Vancouver CanucksVerified account ‏@VanCanucks

JUST IN. Canucks re-sign Daniel and Henrik Sedin for 4 years.

28. frontenac1 says:

Parros can take it easy tonight.Crankshaft can handle the Tilts,

29. Luke says:

Varlamov starts tonight against the Stars.

30. SmartDog says:

I was just looking at CapGeek.
    It’s amazing how much they wasted on Briere at 4 mil. Consider that Patches is 4.5 and Pleks is 5.0. Ridiculous.
    Signings like that make Gainey and Gauthier look competent.
    Consider for example that Briere being in the lineup might keep us from extending Markov for another year. Who would you rather go without?
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Max says:

Gauthier was a very good gm.Personality of a turd, but a solid hockey mind.That personality is what got him booted out of Montreal.

Gainey was a great player but an average to below average coach/gm with the charisma of a 2 week old tomato.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Your historical revisionist skills must be excellent if you are going to make the argument that Gauthier was a very good GM. My God! One of the worst ever.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• ooder says:

he made some not bad moves… but a very good gm?
        spacek for kaberle
        GOMEZ FOR MCDONAUGH

both awful blunders IMO

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I’d even add Halak for Eller. Not for the end result, but for the fact he never even tested the market. A lot of rumours out there as to why he did it that way. But bottom line: another of the Goat’s bizarre decisions.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Habsrule1 says:

The Halak trade was good. Just because we didn’t know what we were getting doesn’t mean he didn’t. That’s called scouting. It’s not like after 1 playoff run and 6 months of very good hockey, we were going to get a superstar for Halak.

I still hate Gauthier though. Bad moves and terrible personality.

Go Habs Go!!

• Stevie.Ray says:

Well, A) there is no proof that he never tested the market other that I think one GM saying he didn’t know Halak was available, and B) he knew the player he wanted, and got him, and C) there is no way to know what he could have gotten for Halak, and D) goalies traditionally don’t go for much (that’s why the Luongo ordeal lasted longer than anybody wanted).

• wjc says:

Simple….Eller to good to pass up……done deal!

wjc

• Stevie.Ray says:

He didn’t make the Gomez trade.

I made the argument Gautheir was a good (not great) GM long before he was fired and it looks like the angry mob is starting to see things my way.

The Kaberle trade was his worst move but it cost us nothing other than cap space.

• wjc says:

Doug Harvey was traded way back when…want to debate it. Was it right, was it wrong. Won something like 7 Norris trophies in a row.

Come here Mr. Harvey we traded your ass to the last place Rangers. Thanks for excellent play for us….now good bye, we are done with you.

Mr. Plante…thanks for all the vezina trophies….we traded you. to the last place New York Rangers……now, now no need for tears…..tootle lou.

See how sports work…here to day…gone tomorrow. Make a trade you might regret……Leclair anyone…..The NHL is full of stupid trades that did not work out…..such is life……aw the beauty of hindsight…perfect world if only…………………

wjc

• danimal72 says:

Wasn’t he the pro scout for Gainey? Goat would have definitely been a big part of that decision…

• wjc says:

The G.M. who said he did not know Halak was available, is probably lieing. He had to know the Canadiens were going to go with one goaltender. They were not going to spend 11 million dollars on one position.

He should have inquired, but did not do his job. Eller was available and the scouts said…..TAKE HIM, FAST, BEFORE HE CHANGES HIS MIND”, you can now see why!

wjc

• wjc says:

Power play needed help fast……Spacek was on his last legs, good deal that could have worked.

wjc

• Stevie.Ray says:

Only PP quarterback in the league that was available for very little. PP was drowning and there was no timetable for Markov’s return (well there was but it consistently got extended, but that was hardly PG’s fault as much as the doctor’s and simply bad luck).

• Kooch7800 says:

Gomez was Gainey at the helm but I think PG was advising

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ian Cobb says:

I think Briere will be Bergevin’s 1st OOPS. He may catch the fire, if put with the right two line mates. Who? But so far he looks lethargic.

(new word of the day)

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, a big oops. It was one for optics (I.e. language appeasement) , not for skill. Terrible signing, and that’s not just with hindsight. A waste of cap space and roster spot.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• 100HABS says:

1st oops? How about the Desharnais signing? And I kinda like Desharnais, but that was too much money….

• wjc says:

You people want perfect and you will never get it. If something turns out great it is …..hip hip horray. If it does not….you say boo.

So if it turns out, you take it for granted, if it fails you come acrossed as all self riteous. Remember hind sight is perfect. Making decisions before you know is called taking a shot.

Brier has not had enough time to fit into a new team and new system. Why not give it some time. Besides he only has one more year left on his contract…..not a big deal.

wjc

• Ozmodiar says:

The Briere contract won’t prevent the Habs from signing key players.

They can buy out Briere (I mentioned this on the last thread).

• wjc says:

You might be worrying too much. The Brier signing could still be a good signing. Looking to far into the future, in a sport where things change fast, may not be wise.

The fiscal manoverings may seem complicated they tend to work themselves out.

I think Brier can turn this around when he is healthy again. Time will tell. If the Canadiens followed the fans they would sign no free agents for fear of making a mistake. You play hard, go all in, and usually it works out. Remember it is a long season and playoffs could prove where depth comes in handy……we will see!

wjc

• Habsrule1 says:

Exactly. Any UFA signing can be a disaster, unless of course someone from this site suggests it. Then it can’t miss.

Go Habs Go!!

• habcertain says:

he is one more head shot away from calling it a career, there’s the buyout?

31. Old Bald Bird says:

Eric Engels ‏tweeted this, spread over 2 tweets. I don’t know if it adds to our discussion or not, but I think it’s a slightly different point than what has been raised so far.

“I have never said there is an issue between Subban and the coaching staff/management team but #habs should concern themselves with allowing this to be common perception.”

• wjc says:

Suban says ‘Montreal is a tough, tough market,’….what do you suppose he means. Perhaps everybody over analysis’s everything. He is paid to play hard, try to improve and take care of what he can take care of.

Does he want to discuss every little hic cup in a long long season. I will let you answer that yourself.

wjc

• Habsrule1 says:

Heard a clip from 24CH yesterday where MT was reaming out the whole defense. What’s the problem with that? Even when he used f-bombs with PK….big f’ing deal! Why are we so concerned with that?? I use f-bombs with my best friends and even my brothers on occassion. We still get along great. That stuff happens.

Go Habs Go!!

• Old Bald Bird says:

Are you disagreeing that “habs should concern themselves with allowing this to be common perception?”

• wjc says:

I don’t think it is a common perception, just some people making something from nothing….as usual.

The Canadiens cannot answer all hysterical tweets etc. they have better things to do I would hope.

wjc

• Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t think Eric Engels, Brian Wilde or Bobby Dollas (they have mentioned it too) are your average hysterical tweeters. Rightly or wrongly, there’s a definite perception out there. People are just wondering. That’s all.

• habcertain says:

it never turns out well when star players don’t get along with management, and Engels is right, if it festers, one of the two won’t be along for the ride. this has been all supported by Therrien’s opinion of PK, before they gave him the job.

32. mdp2011 says:

I have to say that those are some pretty wives in that video.

33. Stevie.Ray says:

Daniel Brière n’a plus de maux de tête depuis 48 heures. Les voyages en avion au Minnesota et à Denver sont un bon test pour ses symptômes.

And for us unilinguists:
    Daniel Briere has not had any headaches for 48 hours. Air travel to Minnesota and Denver are a good test for symptoms.

• mdp2011 says:

Good news.

• Max says:

Glad to hear that he’s feeling better and wish no ill will on the guy, but he han’t done much thus far and isn’t the team stuck with the cap hit even if he hopefully retires?

• mdp2011 says:

So you would rather that he continue to have concussion symptoms for the next two seasons just so the Habs can get some cap relief? OK.

• Max says:

To be honest,I’m a diehard habs fans and my loyalty always remains with the Montreal Canadiens.I have no tingly feelings towards Briere and I just care about the CH at all costs. It is what it is.

• Habcouver says:

I’m sure no one would really wish one anyone to have lingering concussion symptoms. I hope Briere makes a full recovery and proves he deserves to don the CH on his chest.
            I will admit that over the past month, I have been getting annoyed with seeing Briere’s presence on the canadiens.com wallpaper. I would prefer to see Chucky, Gally, or Bourni displayed.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Kooch7800 says:

Maybe they can trade him when he gets back for a case of beer…

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m happy to hear that. I’ve read that Multiple concussions lead to more multiple concussions. I still hold out hope that he’ll help the power play.

• --Habs-- says:

He gives me a headache every time I see him on the ice!

“Habs” on my license plate!

34. mrhabby says:

Great to see the big guy in and nice job by MB to lock up Emelin on a very reasonable deal. In a few years with the cap going up it will be great value even more than he is today.

35. Chrisadiens says:

I scoured the internet and cannot find out the name of the song they play at the Bell Centre when the flag kids and the Habs step out onto the ice.

Little help here? I need the song for a certain event coming up in the near future. :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

36. Luke says:

He (Parros) kinda looks like Bruce Campbell there…

37. Fransaskois says:

For a brief moment in time, I thought I was first.

38. Curtoph says:

What will Parros do without his mighty stache?

39. Kooch7800 says:

“Keep your stick on the Ice”