Parros gets green light from doctors

After enjoying a day off on Friday, the Canadiens returned to the ice Saturday morning in Brossard and got some good news concerning George Parros.

“I got the green light from the doctors to play in a game,” Parros, who has been recovering from shoulder surgery, said on the team’s official Twitter account.

And fans watching in Brossard might not have recognized Ryan White, who is known for the long hair flowing out of his helmet, but showed up at practice with a new style: a shaved head.

The lines at practice were:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-Prust-Parros
Bournival-White

The defence pairings were:

Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Tinordi
Markov-Diaz
Murray

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs building team chemistry, Canadiens.com

Michel Therrien’s post-practice press conference, Canadiens.com

Players speak after practice, Canadiens.com

Habs are a work in progress, by Pat Hickey

Nothing personal for Gallagher, NHLPA.com

Atlantic Division preview, Canadiens.com

Point-St-Charles honours Gump Worsley, by Stu Cowan

How Lorne Worsley became “Gump”, Stu on Sports blog

Former Habs find new jobs, by Pat Hickey

NHL’s reaction to line brawl defies common logic, by Pat Hickey

Tribute to photographer Denis Brodeur, SI.com

1. Bill says:

@JP and anyone else who cares: Is our prospect pool that deep?

The Habs have two can’t miss prospects in Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Beyond that, there are solid maybes in Pateryn (potential 5-6 D)and Bournival (potential 3rd/4th liner).

Those posting “future line combos” that include players like Dietz, Ellis, Thrower, McCarron, Collberg, and Lehkonen are seriously dreaming. Its possible none of those guys will ever stick. Go back five years or ten years and see what kind of future rosters people were posting. Sobering.

I don’t think the talent pool is that deep, and at forward I would say it’s quite shallow, and I’m not one of the HIO pessimists at all. That’s just my honest take on it.

• Eddie says:

Absolutely agree Bill.

• HabFab says:

I rate them somewhat different but agree we have 2 “shouldn’t miss” and about 8 “solid maybes”

• rhino514 says:

If they can hang in there until Emelin comes back, and if he is more or less himself when he comes back, I think it´s a decent defence, complemented a by a top tier offence.
      I´m a bit nervous going into the season, but there is some upside possible. Maybe Markov will be ok defensively for the first 40 games; maybe Tiny will adjust fast. Boullon is an tough Dman when he is fresh. Maybe Gorges will be better this year. A couple of these things happen and we will be ok.

• neumann103 says:

Bill,

I agree on D. Two can’t miss guys. Several possible bottom pair guys and a few high risk offensive possibilities.

I disagree on the forwards. I generally expect only around 30% of these guys to make it but given the depth of various forward cohorts it is reasonable to expect 2 scoring wingers, 1 big tough two way forward and 1 depth 3rd/4th line forward with offensive upside in the next 3 years or so.

Plus whatever else gets added.

“Et le but!”

• third generation haber says:

@Bill,

I totally agree with you, but I was including our players 26 and under.

My future lineup includes: Price, Subban, Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretti, Eller, Beaulieu, McCarron, Fucale, Colberg, DeLaRose, Leblanc, Bournival, Emelin, first round picks 2014, 2015.

Besides them, I think Thrower, Pateryn, Dietz, Lehkonen, and Bozon all have a chance of making it.

If you follow the habs top 25 under 25 on EOTP, our group has greatly improved over the past 4 years.

j.p. murray

• Mark C says:

Relative to other teams prospects pools, Montreal’s is deep. Not the best nor the deepest, but way better than average.

• habstrinifan says:

Add Crisp. I hope when Crisp makes the team in two years or make the NHL I dont get the ‘shot in the dark’ comment. Likewise I will accept eating crow if he doesnt.

Edit: I read one review which describes him as lazy. I have not seen additional writings supporting this and do not know if he is os is not. But if that is true then my expectations for him are null and void.

2. olematelot says:

Fucale stopped 34 shots and 10 shooters in a 2-1 shootout victory last night.

3. HabFab says:

For the Pricebots that can read French, the Journal de Montreal has done a very intensive series of articles about Carey. His youth, family, community, etc.

• Eddie says:

it seems like all of the controversy has been sucked out of this franchise. Price gets a new goalie coach, check. More fighters in the lineup, check. More francophones on the team this year, check.

no wonder this place is dead. there’s nothing left to argue about.

• HabFab says:

That is one bet I would never make ;)
        With the Habs it is just a comment, bad game or even not enough great ones away. I can remember back to the 70’s when we had such a powerful squad and the b!tching that occurred for everyone of those 8 or 12 losses per season. Heck even for the ties!

• JF says:

When you add in the fact that DD hasn’t sucked so far….

• Eddie says:

He looks good doesn’t he? He has a jump in his step, like he’s gotten quicker from training in the summer. And Briere was praising him like crazy the other day….”a pleasure to play with, first on all those pucks…”

• JF says:

He had apparently gained about six pounds last year, thinking it would make it harder to knock him off the puck. Instead, it only made him slower. So he lost it this summer. He looks quite a lot faster, and he doesn’t fall down the way he was always doing last year. I think he’s looked great so far. Patch also; he seems to be playing with more of an edge. And with the way Brière controls the puck in the offensive zone, that line is going to be extremely dangerous.

4. Gormdog says:

I think Danny Briere is going to suprise everyone and finish in the top three of team scoring… Put him on the second wave of the PP to help control it down low, as opposed to the first wave up high with PK… And he will be pretty solid for us. You can see how high his hockey IQ is during this preseason, even if he has slowed down a bit.

Also… Breaking Bad! Sad to see it go as of tonight but it`s been a helluva run

• Eddie says:

I was watching RDS last week and they predicted Briere will LEAD the team in points this season. I don’t think many will be surprised if he’s top 3.

He will start the season on the FIRST power play line that will include Desharnais and Pacioretty.

• JohninTruro says:

Agreed Eddie.

• Gormdog says:

Well I`ve seen many people talk about how much of a waste of money the Briere signing was, how we threw away all the Cole contract savings…

People in your top 3 of scoring should make MORE than 4 mill so it seems like a great deal to me…

And I realize he will be slated on the top unit but I think thats a mistake… With him and Desharnais you have the potential to dominate puck control down low and hit Patches in the slot… I never though Patches/desharnais was the right set of forwards for Markov/Subban on the PP

• Eddie says:

you’re correct. I, for one, did not like the Briere signing. I thought we should have added a bigger, tougher, and more aggressive presence to our top 9 forwards, considering we already have Gionta, Desharnais, Plekanec and Gallagher as undersized.

but Briere will put up the points. he will play top line minutes. he will play 1st line power play. and he will be a big Star in this town!!

• habstrinifan says:

What would have been the greater surprise. That RDS would not have selected Briere or that Briere actually ends up leading the team in scoring. I think there is a good chance he could.. but whom else did you expect RDS to pick.

5. frontenac1 says:

Whitey shouldn’t have cut his hair. The last time he did it, he lost his mojo and got benched.

6. Eddie says:

2 days before the start of a new season.
    Is there anyone out there who believes this team can win the Cup THIS YEAR?

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Does our opinion matter more than what we have already heard from MB?

• on2ndthought says:

Can? Of course, every team can. Is likely? Probably not yet; all the cards would have to fall right, and a few teams have better cards. That said, whoever wins the cup this year will have all the cards fall right.

“a cannonading drive”

• HabFab says:

Bookmakers say 3.5% BUT not impossible just highly unlikely…

How do you like that :) Practicing my beating around the bush just before “bird season”.

• third generation haber says:

Not a chance in hell!

Price will have to return to form for us to make the playoffs.

In one year’s time, when Markov and Gionta (11.75 mil. combined) are off the books, we’ll be able to start retooling.

Our strength is in our players 26 and under. If we can hold onto and develop these players without making any panic trades (See Kaberle, Gomez, Roy, etc.) then I believe we will become a perennial contender like the Wings.

Hopefully ownership, the fans, and the media will give Bergevin the patience needed to build true depth.

I, for one, love keeping an eye on our prospects. Our pool may not have been this deep since the late 80’s.

j.p. murray

7. Habs_Norway says:

Noooooo, Ryan, nooooo!
    Grow it back!

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

8. habstrinifan says:

Habs/Bulldogs should convert Morgan Ellis (a two defenceman) into a forward or at least intoo a player in the mould of former short-term HAB Dandenaeault. It could be his surest route to the NHL, in my opinion.

• Eddie says:

Trini are you based in Hamilton? You seem to have a lot of opinions on the prospects. Just wondering?

• habstrinifan says:

No I am not. I focus on a few guys, especially the non ‘marquee’ guys who everybody just trots out for each ranking and I do a lot of reading and watching youtube on just those guys. I also look at the ‘needs’ of the team as it may pan out and also take nuances into consideration. One nuance for instance is that Crisp had a major injury in his draft year but scored well in the OHL in his one full year and was a well thought of prospect before that injury. Also his performance when healthy was not incredibly out of sync with players drafted higher than him. I checked that with about 5 players drafted higher this year. Of course Crisp is one year older and that gives him an advantage in that comparison but those other players are given an advantage by many in the ‘natural talent’ quota.

It should be noted that Crisp did impress both MB and MT this year way beyond his ‘ranking’ in the depth chart.

I have been lucky. If readers remember I was among the first, if not the first, in touting Gallagher.. long before his first camp. I was ridiculed for it too by at least two posts.

One player I would have had ‘highest’ in forward ranking if he was able to add a bigger muscle mass (which I just dont think he can because of body type) is Hudon. If this guy was say 6.0 and a little sturdier of frame.. then in my opinion he would be the HABS next star forward. As it is he most likely will not be an NHLer.

Bottom line I have no reason to believe in my choices more than others. It’s just that these past two years I ‘picked’ Gallagher and Bournival as ‘will surprise in camp and should make the team’.

I also did not see Tinordi not making the team but that was almost a consensus position before camp.

I am just fed up with linking to all these ‘great blogs’ with supposed in depth analysis and dedicated ‘followers’ of the prospects and see time and time again the same unimaginative and uninvestigated analysis and ranking. It does NOT help the ‘fan’ conversation at all … some of these rankings.

And while I have ‘opinions’ re marquee prospects like Beaulieu and LeBlanc and have let them slip once or twice, you will find me less involved in discussion on their chances.

9. Sportfan says:

WOW Biznasty got his ten game suspension reduced to 3 games WTF does that mean Clarkson is next?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• HabFab says:

Biz got his reduced due to the fact he was involved in a line change as it occurred and he had video evidence to back that up. Clarkson clearly came off the bench to get involved and as Bobby Mac said “He got nada to proof otherwise”

10. HankHardball says:

They just announced they’re changing the call letters of TSN 690 to CJAD 2.

And in keeping with the CJAD policy of being MTL’s FOX News wannabe, they’ll be replacing Tony Marinaro with a simulcast of Tommy Schnurmacher.

11. HabFab says:

Seems like a quiet morning at HIO so let’s take a look at the kids after a week or two playing;

QMJHL

NCAA
    Season has not started

Europe
    Collberg – 1GP – 0 + 0 – 4 PIM
    de la Rose – 6GP – 1 + 2 – 2 PIM
    Lehkonen – 6GP – 3G + 3A – 0 PIM
    * all three playing in the top divisions

12. Bill says:

@Burly: This is what I’m always taking about. The coaches are made because Rolston got fined for putting Scott on the ice at that specific point int the game. And no one had ever gotten fined for that before.

So once again, the NHL is making up rules as it goes. I actually agree with the spirit of this one: the problem is, you know that they are going to do this fine just this one time. The next coach who throws a goon out at a similar time will be ignored.

13. DuckDodgers says:

Colby has 2 goals in 6 games with Vaxjo/(Sweden). Because he profiled him at length in an August 13th article, Pat Hickey omitted mention of him in the article above.

“May you live in interesting times.”
    Correction: Dave Stubbs profiled Armstrong. Don’t know why Pat Hickey left him out of his article.

14. DuckDodgers says:

Some Brandon Prust facts:
    -now 29 years old, will be 30 in March
    -passed over as an 18 yr. old, taken in the 3rd round by the Flames
    -played as an overage junior (London Knights), best junior year, 19 goals, 269PIM
    -3 AHL seasons (best, 17G, 294PIM)
    -6 NHL seasons, 4 NHL teams (best, 13G, 160PIM)
    -110 PIM in 38 games with the Habs last year
    -played a full 82 game season, three seasons ago.

“May you live in interesting times.”

15. HabFab says:

Something to start the blood this morning;

16. HabFab says:

Brady Vail was the big scorer in the Juniors last night with 2G + 2A.

17. GrimJim says:

It wasn’t just me, That Arcade Fire movie after Saturday Night Live was just weird,right?

18. zip by says:

took in the bulldogs/marlies game in coburg tonight

can’t say anything stood out as a positive – this was a squad of hamilton tryouts by and large.

tokarsky looked iffy on both goals – unscreened shots from around the blue line – mayer was better except his stick handling behind the net was heart stopping on several occasions

holland scored a nice pp goal – but he really looks like a bean pole – needs some bulk

andrighetto showed some nice hustle – thrower and ellis played solid if unremarkable games – nystrom had a few moments

nattinen was invisible – courtnall showed hustle but has no hands

fournier fought to a draw…

not really much to report – a dull game over all – seemed like the marlies were also fielding longshots

19. mrbell04 says:

Playing nhl 14 and just heard how they recount the chara on paciorrety hit. “What a smack!” doesn’t seem to be in good taste.

20. ths says:

I would have no problem sitting Gionta and inserting White

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• FishOutOfWater says:

that doesn’t even make sense

• third generation haber says:

I would have no problem switching White with DD, forcing DD to earn his ice-time, and giving more toughness to the top 9.

DD on the fourth line would then be able to play on the perimeter while his line-mates crash the corners.

I seriously doubt Therrien will ever hold DD accountable, not until there is greater Quebecois representation on the team.

j.p. murray

• mount royal says:

Ridiculous comment. Desharnais looked excellent in preseason and should put up serious points this year. To accuse Therrien of some kind of bias only shows your own bias.

• third generation haber says:

Since my mother’s family is Quebecois, I probably don’t hold a bias against Desharnais.

If you recall last season, Eller was benched early on. Desharnais, and Markov for that matter, never seem to be held accountable for their mistakes or disappearing acts. Similarly, Subban used to get punished while Cammalleri was given a free pass.

If I have a bias, it’s against softies.

I did hear that Desharnais played well in preseason; it’s the fact that he was completely invisible during that playoffs and hasn’t got 1% of Gallagher’s grit and fearlessness that bothers me.

How does he warrant his ice-time, PP time, or line-mates???

If Ryan White were given more of a chance (not that he’s a star), he might not have to get his head punched in by giants to maintain a roster spot.

j.p. murray

21. Bill says:

I was talking to Nathan Beaulieu’s high school English teacher today. She says he’s a really good kid and one of her favourite students ever. She had less complimentary things to say about Jacques.

I realize this is a very tiny piece of information, but it’s at least actual information, and we’re all about the close scrutiny here on HIO, right?

Full Breezer 4 Life

Saturday night without hockey is just not right. Does anyone know if Tremblay and Roy talked yet?

23. Sportfan says:

Green light to beat up maple leafs? Nice!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Let PRUST center the 2 kids before they are sent to the infirmary, and put WHITE between PARROS and MOEN, and please for the love of …. get DIAZ out of there before he screws it all up again….., he is a weakling …insert MURRAY without question.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
    GALLAGHER = FUTURE HAB CAPTAIN

25. thebonscott says:

is the preseason bulldogs game televised, i am in hockey withdrawal

For the sake of all that is right, please put the comment box on upper right of page!!!!!

So is there a photographic evidence of Ryan White’s new hair style. I bet 2 dollars he looks uglier with no hair than with a hay pile he used to have on before.

27. carolinahab says:

As the article below illustrates I think we did a disservice to the club and to Louis LeBlanc by sending him down so early. Hard work in the off-season and natural talent should be cultivated. I think this may very well come back to bite us in the butt. Hope LeBlanc shows enormous character and proves management wrong.

• Caesar says:

Didn’t they handle Pacioretty the same way and looks like he’s ok.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Very dramatic, but guys get sent down. It’s part of the game. He’ll learn, or not. If he doesn’t, so be it. Lots of guys haven’t.
      He’s entitled to the paycheque they signed him to, but everything else has to be earned, and I hope he earns a spot on the team. Hard work in the off season and natural talent applies to every guy with brains who gets to that level , but our Louis has yet to shine at the AHL level, which makes one question what he’d do in the NHL right now. He’s young. There’s time.

• Bill says:

Bleacher Report … worst site ever.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Based on this article Bill may be right regarding their insight. How is it a surprise that MT put Briere and Desharnis and Pacioretty together from day 1. It may not be the wisest alignment but knowing MT it is absolutely not a surprise. Just as it is NOT a surprise how he has coached his PK in the pre-season.

It’s like they have not been watching.

I haven’t looked to confirm this impression, but it also seems to be that Gallagher with DD and Pacioretty, as a line, was far less successful last season than the article said. Maybe I am the one who is/was wrong but I do know that I was frustrated enough with the line to write many times against its use.

28. Danno says:

GP looks like one of the dad coaches at a Peewee hockey game
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

29. Tis Himself says:

My kids just uncovered a bug in the NHL game that allowed me to have a stick-swinging fight with Wayne Maki and Phil Kessel. Let’s just say that after slashing Maki across the ankles, Phil got “Teddy Greened!”

• HabFab says:

Was that the same hockey stick you were using to keep those two karate experts in line?
      Heck, they must be getting old enough soon to send off to College.

• Tis Himself says:

Big boys Frank. Just two more years in HS. Told them both that if they don’t go to college, their mother and I are getting his/her “get lucky” cars. As far as the karate thing, they never acquired the nasty they need to take me down.

• HabFab says:

Buy them some rubber wrap my friend. My 31 year old son (likes older women, what can I say) just left here after informing me that his 17 year old stepson may have started that miracle that would make me a great grandfather at about the time I used to believe I would become a grandfather. Unfrigging real!

• Tis Himself says:

Oh, there is no “family plan” in my house. My responsibility was to get you through high school and, if able, pay for college. They don’t get their backsides in gear and they will have to wait until I croak to cash in.

Oh, by the way, Congratulations!

• HabFab says:

No congrats please. Not Dr confirmed (please God). Shell shocked but as my son said “At least you weren’t a grandfather at 31″… poor SOB!

• stevieray says:

Lucky for Maki that ” hold me back …hold me back Kadri “…didn’t Eddie Shore him

• Haberoooo13 says:

None of that composite junk in W. Maki’s hands!

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

30. habstrinifan says:

Did anyone see this story about a reduction in this guy’s 10 game suspension to 3. It’s on TSN.CA. Any relevance to Clarkson… or did he forego appeal already.

31. Bill says:

Eddie, I agree with you about the defence. Subban is the only top two guy we have, and Markov is the only other top four guy we have.

Some here want to put Tinordi on the top pairing. But being huge is not the same thing as being ready to be The Man.

Our defence should really look like this:
    _______ Subban
    Markov _______
    Tinordi Diaz

32. jols101 says:

FYI, I know it’s not our Habs but CBC is showing Wings/Leafs tonight at 7 bells.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My sincere apologies to Stu Cowan for crediting the Gumper articles to Dave Stubbs …I’m gettin’ old if I can’t see Your byline correctly Stu :)

…both Yourself and Dave’s writing make HIO a must for Me

34. HabFab says:

The reaction after Markov hit the Crossbar to force the Coaches into a 5 lap skate… priceless;

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…man I love reading Dave Stubbs, especially when He reminisces about Our past Players

…One can feel a sincere love from Dave of the Canadiens and the Guys that gave Us the memories that bonded Us to this Team, whether or not many of Us have ventured off to other provinces and foreign lands

…I’m older than Dave, so I connect with every such story He writes so well

…many sports writers write with such formula and might as well be writing a book review than a heart-felt coverage of a team they sincerely love themselves

…when I was a kid, especially My teen years in NDG, I would drive down to Pointe St. Charles to slum, as well to play hockey …it was a hard-scrabble place for anyone from the outside

…later as a designer at RCA Victor’s Head Office on Lenoir Street, only a few blocks from where Pat Burns grew up, I spent My lunch times walking the gritty neighborhoods and eating in local mom and pop restaurants

…many solid people have come out of the Pointe in spite of the Pointe

…I miss Montreal, because Montreal is the Pointe and so many unique other parts of a wonderful mosaic

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Is there video of that Markov shot?

37. jols101 says:

Most “experts” have the top 3 spots in our Atlantic division going to the Bruins, Red Wings, and Senators. I think the Wings and Sens are getting way too much credit. They both have solid teams but are in no way shoe-ins for 2nd and 3rd IMO.

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…barring injuries …I predict 30 to 50 goals for Patches …and 10 to 20 goals for Bournival this season

…overall, if the rest of Our Players play to Their potential, offense (a balanced, spread-out offense) should not be a problem this season

…plus a solid contribution from Our back-end (PK, Markov, Beaulieu when He will be called-up, plus I believe the Tin-man will also surprise Us offensively potting a few)

• Eddie says:

Did you notice that once you got past Subban there’s not much to speak of on defence? Markov could not pivot or accelerate like a top 4 dman once we got past the 30 game mark last year, Gorges is really not a top 4 and neither is Diaz. Emelin is a 4 once he returns but he’s not a #2 or #3, and Tinordi and Beaulieu are raw as can be.

This team is missing a legit #2 dman for sure and really missing a legit #3 dman as well. Unless Markov comes all the way back we are missing bodies all over our top 4 defence.

• ebk says:

Marlkov obviously isn’t as good as he once once but basically what you are saying is that there is 90 defenseman in the NHL better than Markov. That’s hogwash. Markov and Emelin are as good a second pairing as there is in the NHL and they might even be better than a few team’s 1st pairings.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the Calvary is comin’ from Hamilton in time

…true, Markov is not what He was, but offensively He should be reasonably productive, especially with a man-advantage

…defensively, the D will be an adventure, and Carey an unknown quantity

,,,but offensively, hopefully We will compensate

• The Dude says:

Well ,we shall soon see if the Price is right or wrong according too your D prospective ?

• HabFab says:

From my limited viewing, Markov’s skating is looking better.

• Eddie says:

maybe better Habfab, but it’s not great. he is no longer a great skater.

this team is missing at least 1 and possibly 2 more top 4 d-men.

the scoring is balanced. we do not have the horses on the back end to be a true contender.

39. Chuck says:

Thank goodness the Habs aren’t playing tomorrow night, or the league scheduler would have been Heisenberged.

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

40. John Frodo says:

I see a Stanley Cup team.
    For further explanation.

41. B says:

Pre-season Stats:
    Tied for 3rd with 6 points are Pacioretty, Subban, and Desharnais.
    Tied for 4th with 5 points are rookies Bournival and Pateryn

Montreal is 6th in pre-season goals for with 22 and tied for 4th worst in goals against with 21. The Hab’s PP is tied for 3rd with 7 PP goals.

Washington leads in pre-season fights with 17, Montreal, Toronto and Buffalo are tied for 2nd with 13 each.

–Go Habs Go!–

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ha, DD Our first-line centre ?

…quick, anyOne near Timo’s home to check if He’s passed-out ?

43. NCRhabsfan says:

Hickey’s article is right on. Shanahan has followed up a hall of fame hockey career with a hall of shame career as an executive. I think they should bar him from the hockey hall of fame based on the damage he’s done as a league executive.

Three exhibition games for repeatedly swinging your stick at another player? It is the equivalent of giving a public servant a four day suspension with pay between Christmas and New Year’s for some egregious offence; he gets paid, he didn’t want to work those days anyway and there was nothing important going on at the time. It is a joke. Why didn’t they just write him a check to reward him for the entertainment value?

This decision will be trotted out again in a couple years when former players living with handicaps because of injuries suffered while playing in the NHL sue the NHL for gross and reckless indifference to player safety. The NHL is going to lose that one big, because at the end of the day they really don’t care about player safety, and Mr Shanahan isn’t going to look so clever when a court starts looking back over his rulings to decide how many hundreds of millions of dollars to award the plaintiffs based on his reckless disregard for safety.

44. Un Canadien errant says:

Apparently Michel Therrien makes his players do an exercise where they have to be on the goal line and from there hit the opposite net. If a player misses, all his linemates or players of the same position have to skate a lap. Nice end of practice exercise, spurs competition, good stuff. A wrinkle in that drill is that if anyone can hit the crossbar, the coaches have to do five laps.

This morning, you guessed it, Andrei Markov hit the crossbar right off the bat, the first time that’s happened to Coach Therrien in twelve years. The coaches did their laps, to the cheers of the players.

“I’m starting to worry”, said an exhausted Michel Therrien, “they seemed to enjoy it a little too much.

Brandon Prust practiced, says he’s fully recovered, and that his ailment had nothing to do with the scraps he’s had so far in camp.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Adidess says:

Sounds like a fun practice. Only Emelin and Drewiske were not there, that’s a good sign.

• B says:

Note that Pat Hickey wrote about this in a Gazette article as per the first link listed above. I only mention this because some folks like me, who do not read French very well, may prefer to read Hickey’s article instead of trying to fumble through Godin’s.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Every time I try to scroll up to there, I get sidetracked by the 15 most beautiful women in sports.

I think my Adblock is starting to weaken.

EDIT: Actually, I can’t find the Pat Hickey article on this? Help?

EDIT 2.0: Never mind, got it, it is the first article in the lineup, about the Habs building chemistry.

45. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

If we can get Parros to play as big as Gallagher, man, that’d be something!

46. mdp2011 says:

Interesting tidbit from agent Allan Walsh on twitter regarding new CBA.
    “@walsha: Nuances in new CBA-NHL salary (but no bonuses) count against a teams cap if they keep player from start of season. If team calls player up, salary and bonuses count against the cap. Figure this out for entry-level players with significant performance bonuses. ”

So looking at Chucky’s salary on Capgeek, his base salary is 925000$, with 2.3Mil as bonus. So safe to safe that he stays all year, the Habs might have an extra 2.3 mil in cap space, interesting.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Does that mean Boston is getting Iginla for a ridiculously low cap hit? I’m pretty sure something like half of his 6M$ contract is in bonuses.

• HabFab says:

- Everything counts against the Cap including Bonuses
      – There is a change in the new CBA regarding Bonuses
      – Old CBA, total of Bonuses had to count against the Cap up front
      – New CBA, there is a Bonus Cushion which allows the Bonuses to exceed the Cap DURING the season http://capgeek.com/canadiens/
      – IMPORTANT point, if you end up exceeding the Cap at Season’s end due to pay outs of your Bonus Cushion. It is taken off the top of your next season’s Cap.
      – Using Chucky as an example; his Base Salary ($925,000) plus his Signing Bonus ($92,500) count immediately against the Cap but his Performance Bonuses ($2,3000,000) falls under the Bonus Cushion http://capgeek.com/player/2339
      – Based on the Performance Bonuses parameters that Chris researched. A good year would net Chucky about a third of that total. He would have to be one of the top 20 or so in scoring plus win an award and the Stanley Cup to get the full amount.
      – so at the end of season, the bonuses he actually earns have to count against this season or off the top of the next season’s Salary Cap.
      – +35 contracts are the same in a team being able to use the Bonus Cushion
      – be careful of Allan Walsh ;) and my 4th point would be what he is referring to
      – hope this helps. If not consult a Labour Lawyer…

47. naweed235 says:

I don’t get it… Keeping Bournival makes no sense… The 4th line is already too crowded with Prust, Moen, Parros and White. I get it that he played well and the team wants to show that they are legitimately giving him a chance but unless there is a trade, it’s impossible to fit him in for an extended period of time

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Moen, Parros and White are not good enough to play on the top three so with probable injuries, Bournival will play.

• on2ndthought says:

Not every player will play every game. Some competition for game time is good. When we play teams that don’t goon it up, MT can insert the speed-skill guys. He’ll get his time or be sent down.

“a cannonading drive”

48. Adidess says:

I am pretty sure the Trini-Bournival love affair has been discussed in the previous thread since yesterday’s announcement that the rookie is staying with the big club for now.

But I’ll say this. If Bournival stays on beyond 10 games (edit), I will make an executive decision and name Trini the top HIO scout for the year :)

When everybody else was telling us things we already know, Trini was obsessively talking about Bournival and his ‘unrecognized’ promise. He might have been ridiculed in here a couple of times by ‘real scouts’.

Maybe Trini’s obsession was like a big swing in the dark that turned out to work (at least for now). But kudos nonetheless! -)

49. B says:

I noticed Brendon Nash is in Hartford with Kristo. I decided to look up some other former Dogs D: St.Denis is in Springfield (the Falcons, not the Isotopes), DeSantis is in Finland (HIFK Helsinki where Klubertanz was last season) and Carle is in the KHL again (7 points in 8 games for Zagreb – ahead of Cheechoo, Willsie, Montador and Glumac on that team). I read Klubertanz also signed with Zagreb this season, but he doesn’t show up on their stats page. Henry is with Duesseldorf again in the German league.

–Go Habs Go!–

50. Ghosts of the Forum says:

When Emelin comes back, I’d like to see him play with PK

• on2ndthought says:

He’ll probably slot back in on Markov’s right side, provide some protection. I like your idea, give PK the ability to wheel out; and scare anyone in the neutral zone carrying the puck.

“a cannonading drive”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Good idea. Emelin is also better on the left.

• Adidess says:

How things have changed! It’s true that I’d be more comfortable with Emelin playing those top 2 minutes than I am with Gorges right now. But you’re right, the coaching staff will probably put him back with Markov since the pairing allows both of them to play well (though Emelin isn’t playing his strong side).

51. Chris says:

Hmm…looks like I have to find time to get to the Storm game tomorrow afternoon. Should be a doozy…two of the favourites to vie for OHL supremacy (Guelph and London) going head to head, with plenty of future NHL talent dressing for each team.

Keep an eye on Brock McGinn this season…he reminds me of Ryan Callahan: smaller player but he hustles all over the ice and has great wheels. Callahan had perhaps a bit more offensive talent, but McGinn is one of the hardest pound-for-pound hitters I’ve ever seen in the OHL. His checks are absolutely ferocious.

52. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hoping Parros is only in for games against the Leafs, Bruins and teams of that ilk. Don’t see the point of having Bournival in the press box.

Also, considering we went 3-1 against the Bruins last year…maybe trying to play their style isn’t necessary? ‘course one guy doesn’t change the team — particularly a fourth liner — but I enjoy watching the Bs defence in fits trying to deal with our speed as much as others seem to like a good scrap. And Bournival has wheels.

Another note: the rookie who was in the press box for the season opener last year had a pretty good season

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think history indicates that playing their style really isn’t necessary. The Habs beat the Bruins when they play their own game without any shenanigans. Same goes for games against the newly pugilistic Leafs.

53. mrhabby says:

Bernier to start against habs.

54. HabFab says:

Bulldogs release 6 from training camp including Lashoff. Among the players released today were forwards Andre Morrissette, Trevor Bruess, David Laliberte and Chad Wiseman as well as defencemen Pierre Durepos and Matt Lashoff. Delmas (G) assigned to ECHL.

Lashoff… Marc Antoine Godin – Bon garçon, bon joueur de guitare… mais pas assez bon défenseur.

That pretty much sums it up I’m afraid.

These latest roster moves reduce the Bulldogs’ training camp roster to 36 players, including 20 forwards, 13 defencemen and three goaltenders.

• Un Canadien errant says:

No surprises there. Matt Lashoff may have seemed a good fit as the left-shooting AHL veteran defenceman to help out the young prospects, but everybody else was training camp fodder.

55. ZepFan2 says:

Thanks Stu for that great story on the Gumper.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

56. Habilis says:

Considering that Parros was brought in almost entirely to deal with guys like Orr and McLaren, I’m really happy to see that he’ll be ready for opening night. I’m 100% sure that the Loafs’ goon squad will want to “set the tone” for the season on Tuesday. Hopefully Parros can mitigate that.

Still though, I get the feeling that this will bump Bournival to the press box. Too bad because I really want to see him play a real game. That kid can flat out fly.

57. Chris says:

Connor Crisp bagged his first two goals of the season for the Wolves last night. First one was a very nice deke and a pinpoint shot, while the second one came off some nice play by linemate Dominik Kubalik.

Kubalik might be a surprise this season. The 7th round pick of the Kings has got loads of skill, decent size (6’1″ and 180 pounds) and is a shifty skater. Figures that the Kings would get him.

58. HabFab says:

Don’t know how many of you RDS game watchers caught Pierre LeBrun of ESPN / TSN doing an intermission commentary the other evening. RDS will apparently have him back for about 20 games this season. One word – great!

59. slyCH says:

Great news, Parros in and White shaves head for coming season. Maybe White realized his locks were a detriment as opponents would grab handfuls out by their roots during a fight. Ouch. Warriors on the war path. Bring on the Laughs.

60. HabFab says:

Did you know?

Habs prospect Charles Hudon (5th round, 2012) leads all active QMJHL players in career points.

61. HabFab says:

For those that were worrying.

Renaud Lavoie – Gabriel Dumont cleared waivers.

• habstrinifan says:

Rankings I admit are very difficult to argue against. You are basically talking potential. But I find there is very little true originality of analysis put into some of these rankings. I used to visit these sites in awe. No longer based not on their success rating but their shallowness of analysis.

I give you all players who were ranked before Bournival before.

Andreas Engqvist;Alexander Avtsin;Danny Kristo, Aaron Palushaj not to mention LeBlanc;Dumont. I think if they had absolutely sat down and examined palyer by player this would not have happened.

Look at where they are ranking CRISP. I am saying again. Crisp will make the HABS roster before many of the 26 ranked before him.

• HabFab says:

I would not base my feelings on any rankings done by some bloggers or even main stream reporters… no offense to either group. However they have some knowledge and entertainment value so enjoy.

62. habs-fan-84 says:

sad to hear White has cut his hair

Quite the picture, Parros flanked by Gallagher and Gionta. Wonder how much bigger those guys will feel with BGP in the lineup?

• Chris says:

No bigger…neither guy will likely ever set foot on the ice at the same time as Parros.

Respectfully disagree, I am not foolish enough to believe that Parros will prevent either player from getting hit, but I do believe that both players will indeed feel better (maybe even a bit bigger) with Parros in the lineup against specific teams.

• habstrinifan says:

100 percent agree and I am gonna wager Gallagher especially will be seeing ice time with Parros sooner than later…not as a regular linemate but sooner than later.

• Chris says:

Given that both Gallagher and Parros are inept defensively, playing either guy out of position doesn’t make any sense. Since both are right wings, the only way they are on the ice at the same time is for a staged fight by Parros.

Gionta and Parros would never be on the same line, and his long career has already demonstrated that he doesn’t need Parros to go into dirty areas of the ice. He’s not going to play any bigger because Parros might bear hug the other team’s designated goon. Parros’ presence, aside from being a good guy to be around off the ice, is irrelevant to a player like Gionta.

• Chris says:

We’ll see. That same logic was applied when Georges Laraque signed in Montreal, and the effect was minimal.

George Parros is more akin to Georges Laraque than John Scott. He rarely jumps unwilling combatants, and he’s a massive liability against any player that is more skilled than your average Peewee player.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW!

• on2ndthought says:

Gallagher and Gionta ae not the guys who will benefit from Parros. They can get in and out of their own confrontations. The biggest beneficiaries will be Moen, White and Prust (and Gorges), who should now fight at a lower weight class. It is also guys like Pleks, Diaz, even Patches, who can become targets, that will benefit from the dissuading power of a Parros, even while on the bench. A player like Lucic may ease up a little if he knows his next shift could put him up against Parros. There is a filter down effect to having a bona fide protector.

“a cannonading drive”

• Habfan10912 says:

@on. Agree. To me those are the guys who may benefit the most.

• B says:

I don’t know if they feel bigger, but they sure look smaller standing next to Parros.

–Go Habs Go!–

64. jedimyrmidon says:

Some talk in the last thread about Emelin returning sooner. Whether or not that’s true if the Habs ice a lineup with Subban, Emelin, Tinordi and Murray that is some serious physicality and hitting potential on the backend.

And it’s not the dirty kind/interference kind either (like so many other teams like to employ to intimidate/stop any player with skill), it’s legitimate hard hits. Of course, with this dumb mentality in the NHL that hitters need to answer for perfectly clean hits…

65. HabFab says:

Don’t ask me because I can’t tell you…………

66. HabFab says:

A video report on Erik Nystrom from the Bulldog’s Website;

67. ClutchNGrab says:

Moen-Prust-Parros, interesting.

68. SPATS says:

So are you here til about 10pm Sunday then taking a dirt nap?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!