Palushaj, Leblanc shine in scrimmage

• AUDIO: Aaron Palushaj | P.K. Subban | Ben Maxwell

Aaron Palushaj, who was acquired from St. Louis last season in a trade for Matt D’Agostini, scored four goals and Louis Leblanc added two more as the Whites crushed the Reds, 7-1, in the final scrimmage of the Canadiens rookie camp.

P.K. Subban scored the other goal for the winners and also exchanged punches with Ben Maxwell in the closing minutes of the game.

“It’s training camp; it’s one of those things that happens,” said Subban.

Maxwell, who said the fisticuffs were the result of frustration in a one-sided game, gave the Reds a 1-0 lead but it didn’t last long.

The rookie camp wraps up Thursday morning with a final practice in Brossard.

1. Castor says:

Looks like GIO as C-O is official (according to La Presse at least)

Makes me happy!

On a more depressing note, anyone else at the Expos thing at MacLeans tonight. Dear goodness it was fun but so SAD

2. likehoy says:

I can just imagine that scenario…a drink off between the last 5 candidates, gomez, gionta, gill, markov, cammelleri

8PM start
    gomez: we’re not drinking tequila? i’m out.

3 drinks later…
    cammalleri: guys, I can’t keep going…the drinking will interfere with my off-season training where I become the fittest player on the Montreal Canadiens

5 drinks later…
    markov hits his ankle on a chair and has to quit for the night

10 drinks later…
    gill tells gionta he’s got nothing on him in a drinking contest

13 drinks later..
    gionta asks gill to show him that technique he uses on 5 on 3 PKs….gill passes out as he lies on the floor

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, if 5’7″ Brian Gionta at 175 can outdrink 6’7″ Hal Gill at 250, he’s earned it!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. likehoy says:

who decides this in the middle of the night!?

must have been a drinking competition and people were in awe with gionta’s drinking ability.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Hence why I said inadequate, meaningless and irrelevant.

Gionta’s earned the captaincy, it wasn’t awarded to him for helping his team do slightly better than worst in the league when the games didn’t matter for **** and distract people away from the fact that the team was **** all year.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. avatar_58 says:

Who cares, they have a goon as their captain

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Gionta with the C, a rumour perhaps but I’ll start it out right now. Our inadequate, meaningless, irrelevant rivals will be pulling out the smurf jokes in no time whatsoever.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. avatar_58 says:

I want to believe, but I want to hear it from the habs

9. HabsTrueBlue says:

LOL Touche!!

10. naweed235 says:

RDS reports that Gio will be wearing the C!!!

11. Mike T says:

Gallagher – Fortier – Engqvist

White

Nash – Subban

Stejskal – Klubertanz

maybe missing a couple

12. soflohabsfan says:

Via Marc Antoine Godin twitter from Francois Gagnon Brian Gionta will be named captain.

13. avatar_58 says:

Yeah, excellent answers. The guy probably thought “wtf, come on kid give me some dirt”

14. avatar_58 says:

I meant as in saving some bodies for hamilton – if he injuries all the rookies and draft picks there won’t be a team!

15. soflohabsfan says:

i love at the end when P.K was asked if he was going to talk to Maxwell and his answer” why wouldnt i?” and when was ask if just make sure eveything is ok his answer “why whats wrong” this kid is gonna give Montreal media a run for its money.

“The Future Belongs to Those Who Believe in the Beauty of Their Dreams.” Eleanor Roosevelt

16. HabFanSince72 says:

None of the Calder trophy candidates have demonstrated they can play in the NHL over the long haul.

17. Chorske says:

Haha, that is going to stick. Dude, he got totally Ben Maxwelled.

18. lefreak says:

the only time there will be a PK in hamilton this year is when you guys get a penalty.:p

19. avatar_58 says:

PK – I’ll kill every last one – Subban, injuring the competition! Save some for Hamilton PK, I’d like to see a few wins down here.

20. habsfansince91 says:

can you post a link to the hit on bishop/avtsin goal. I’ve looked for them but i’m unable to find them.

21. habaholic68NJ says:

Saw it again.  Looked to me that Maxwell was working him from behind in the scrum, without punching him.  PK turned around and lightly punched (more of a face wash) him to start the fight and skated away.  Maxwell followed with the sucker punch you mentioned (back of head) and PK then turned and went at him. Anyways, my point really was that PK showed some toughness that I hope he takes into the season.

22. HFX-HabFan says:

Crowder played junior in Belleville as I recall, we had a nice run of developing tough guys. His destruction of Craig Coxe (I’m sure it’s somewhere on YouTube) was epic.

23. scrowe21 says:

Anybody know of any other video clips from camp? other then the pk fight today and the hit on bishop / avstin goal.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

24. scrowe21 says:

Maxwell kinda sucker punched him in the back of the head to start it.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

25. showey47 says:

It seemed like a good idea at the time,lol. Troy’s a good guy,he comes out to pickup once in a while. Has some of the best hockey stories i’ve ever heard too.

26. habaddict_andy says:

That’s odd. In the Canadiens.com and by clicking on the dates in the calendar, it shows 4 will be shown: Boston, Florida, Buffalo and Islanders.

27. Say Ash says:

Gomez to Lappy.

28. fbkj says:

its cool you got your ass whooped by an ex nhl’er, your proud by proxy, admit it :P

29. fbkj says:

i think if nunacanadien or matraque were to hang with the team for like ten minutes theyd go into inception style coma having their realities shattered

of course tony would still troll

30. lefreak says:

RIS is pretty bad, but i do believe this tactic of sharing pre season games still nets them more subscribers for at least a week. RIS also shows a few other games around the league, but i don’t really care, not when i can choose center ice.:)

31. lefreak says:

i have no clue.

we bought 2 10 game package deals, and they force you to take a pre season game in there….no problem, i was able to sell them at profit in less than 2 hours.

32. fbkj says:

LOLWHAT? preseason games dont sell out? dude theyve been sold out since the lockout

33. showey47 says:

LOL, did he ever.

Give me some credit,this is the “other guy”. I probably should have invented some kind of code.

Who asked the question last year at the 1st pre-season game whether or not it was sold out and everyone just laughed?

35. showey47 says:

So true. Some people just don’t get it. The on ice battling, even though its among prospects trying to make an impact is part of the whole process. It is happening at every rookie camp. Its not a game of friendly pick up going on out there. All of these guys are fighting to make an impression. They all want to end up at the main camp and then stick it out there as long as they can and possibly get a few pre-season games in before either being sent down to hamilton or to their respective junior teams.

Why, whats wrong? That’s effin’ awesome :D

So what you’re saying is that the other guy subbanned you?

38. lefreak says:

i hate to break it to you, but all of the pre season games are sold out…

also: rds does not pay by a per game basis, the contract gives them exclusive french language rights to all of the teams games. They can broadcast every pre season game if they want to, or not, the rights will still cost the same.

39. avatar_58 says:

It won’t load for me. All I have to say is touch my boy again, Maxwell, and I’ll personally rip that CH off your jersey. Don’t take your lack of NHL talent out on him.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Just did some research, want to hear something funny? To date, Burke has drafted five impact NHL players in Pronger, Sedins, Kesler and B. Ryan, four of those players required a Top 3 pick to acquire.

We’re supposed to be scared of Toronto and their visionary GM?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. habsfan321 says:

It’s all money… Preseason games don’t sell out (especially because the Habs are selling them at regular season prices!). They want people to go see the games that aren’t on TV. When RDS broadcasts a presason game, they pay a “huge” sum of money to the Canadiens for the rights to broadcast that game. Obviously they make it back (+ a proft) through advertizers.

So, most likely, they don’t want to spend the money related to broadcasting all preseason games (ad revenue is probably alot smaller), or, the Canadiens don’t want all their games on TV to sell more tickets at the Bell Center.

42. habaholic68NJ says:

Hi Guys.  After not posting for a while (a month in europe and two weeks of catching up at work), I am finally back on this site.  And good timing with the first podcast and the Kids going at it.

As for the PK – Maxwell exchange, I just saw the reply and clearly, PK threw the first punch.   Hope he does this when it counts against Lucy, Lurch and all the other ugly Bruins.

43. Rudy says:

PK is sounding a little cocky in that clip. He better watch it :)

U got some splainin’ to do!

45. fbkj says:

niiiice

thats the problem with habs fans in general, they view normal goings on in hockey and blow them up to fit the drama they think is actually happening

press is equally guilty

last three seconds sums it up man

46. Mr-T says:

The correct pronunciation is pah-LOU-shy.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

47. showey47 says:

Actually it reminded me of when i was a bantam aged hockey player playing midget and fought a guy 3 years older then me named troy crowder. The result were pretty similar,lol. I got ben maxwelled.

48. Yeats says:

A friend of mine told me that Dos Equis beer had a huge promo in Toronto this afternoon featuring The Most Interesting Man in the World. During a Q&A session, he was asked if he had any advice for Leaf fans going into the 2010-11 season? His reply, “Stay thirsty my friends!”

49. showey47 says:

I remember watching a game on RIS a couple of years ago and they spent more time showing the 2 hosts talking to each other then actually showing the game. It was brutal.

50. lefreak says:

they save some for RIS so people will subscribe to that channel.

51. showey47 says:

I don’t get why rds doesn’t show all the pre-season games. Especially this year when 5 out of the 7 games are at the bell center,with the other 2 in quebec and ottawa.

52. Danno says:

Pay Lucy

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

53. avatar_58 says:

1 – who cares what some dink at ESPN has to say about *my* team. That is all.

54. Say Ash says:

Dude, you make way too much sense for this site.

55. Mr-T says:

Finally, a person with a level-headed assessment of Subban. This does not preclude that he would not excel at playing in the NHL, although like Eller, he as Likehoy said has not yet demonstrated this over a quantified number of games. Therefore, expectations of Subban getting 45 plus points and contending for the Calder Trophy at this time, may be premature thinking.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

56. HabsFan90 says:

what a crock of crap

PK looks pumped. Maxwell was out-matched.

On another topic: RDS’ lead article, an interesting perspective on Robert Mayer who led the Cincinnati Cyclones to the ECHL championship. I agree with what SF09 said when Desjardins was moved to TB that it was intended to give Mayer a chance to develop further in the AHL.

58. fbkj says:

almost reminds me of the xander vs harmoney fight in season 5 of buffy…

wait… i dont watch buffy…

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS

59. punkster says:

I used to break up bigger rumbles between my two kids when they were 6 or 8 years old. And the 6 year old (girl) usually got in better shots than that.

FREE TIMO!

60. lefreak says:

copy paste the article perhaps? paying to read a blog is silly.

61. Bill J says:

They have for the last few years.

One week from today is the first game.

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

62. lefreak says:

look at it this way…some hockey coverage in the US is better than no hockey coverage in the US by the biggest media sports outlet in the country.

63. Propwash says:

If not RDS I’m sure RIS will have some

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

64. crabvader says:

I wouldn’t doubt it. I’m pretty sure they did last year.

65. crabvader says:

Yeah, here’s a thought… Why is it that some guy that works for a network mainly focused on college football/basketball sticking his fat nose into Canadien affairs?

That’s like RDS acting like they know the Miami Heat’s situation. I don’t care what most think about the choice, to tell you the truth… I care MUCH less what some wannabe from ESPN has to say also.

66. gmd says:

Does anyone know if RDS will be showing of the Habs pre-season games?

67. crabvader says:

LOL!

So undisciplined… but damn, that is funny.

68. showey47 says:

no kidding. gotta love the intensity out there though.

69. fbkj says:

well that was a load of nothing lol

70. Ayan_SB says:

Aaannnnd here it is folks: Subban vs Maxwell

Does anyone know what the line-ups were for the scrimmages, like who was on the white squad and who was on the red one? Apart from Palushaj, Subban and Maxwell of course.

72. Favorite Son says:

I agree, it’s nice to see them work this hard, considering the fact that there are almost no open spots left for forwards. Even the bottom 6 seems to be set: Pyatt-Eller-Laps and Moen-Halpern-Boyd.

73. Bill J says:

The only knock I have against him or Bishop – not NHL ready.

PK came to play, these other two.  Need to remember that and come to play next year.

If they are even with the team next year.

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

74. fbkj says:

and chances are he wont, not on the full team where hell have those to do that for him

75. The Cat says:

It is unfortunate but yeah training camps are a sham basically. Other than that, Im shopping for a computer on ebay -thanks for asking ^_^

76. lefreak says:

PK being a rookie is a technicality.

this team is already pretty much set baring some sort of mishap. There really isn’t that much room for anyone to make the big club this year (the CBA and the way the salary cap works pretty much guarantees this) so all this is is a frustrated guy heading to hamilton trying to fight the guy who will be replacing our number 1 d man during his injury.

The habs are only a few early injuries away from having a very long season, and they are going to need everyone at 100% to have a shot at the post season.

77. fbkj says:

stupid double post

why ebay?

78. fbkj says:

the team doesnt just stop at who makes the main roster, this is about the entire franchise’s system

79. fbkj says:

but they arent a sham, you have a strong camp, you earn pre-season ice time, you show up in those games, thats when you have an opportunity to leave an impression and position yourself on the depth chart

80. showey47 says:

Exactly,the performance and effort of some of these guys will decide if they even get to go to the main camp next week. There is no way the guys who are here on a tryout only see this as a practice.

81. showey47 says:

Exactly,look what it did for tom pyatt. Some guy nobody even heard of who was considered a throw in and now look at him.

82. lefreak says:

we have to be careful on pinning hopes on guys based on camps. *cough*pacioretty*cough*.

83. fbkj says:

who am i pinning hopes on?

im merely stating how these things work!

84. fbkj says:

can i say thank you for your multiple exactly’s tonight… love my fellow habs fans but dayum

85. lefreak says:

do you agree that PK is possibly our franchise player at the moment?

i’m not saying he is, just that right now it looks like a good chance of it being truth. at the very least he is our best prospect. Go ask coaches how they feel about minor leaguers going after franchise players. There were other guys on the ice he could have fought to make a name for himself.

86. fbkj says:

im excited to see him play

love his candor

love his attitude

boys got skills

and it also makes me happy that hes competing and hes not pussyfooting around

im also happy maxwell brought it

everyone benefits from this level of intensity

87. The Cat says:

It doesnt matter what the fans know, its what the brass knows. On the habs or any team, you can prove yourself in the regular season and playoffs and still not figure in ‘the plan’.

88. likehoy says:

i don’t even have to click on that link to know what that it’ll deliver

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

89. showey47 says:

Gee,i wonder where your going with this?lol

90. fbkj says:

double post apologies

91. fbkj says:

i see what you did there

92. habs-hampton says:

I’ve played lots and dropped them lots of times.

I love PK’s intensity and I’d love to see him go at Matt Cooke, Mike Richards, etc.

My point is, he doesn’t need to risk it against some knucklehead trying to make a name for himself!

93. fbkj says:

this is the nhl, balls deep for everyone, no free rides

94. habs-hampton says:

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

(Unless you want to step outside to settle it)  ;)

95. The Cat says:

I wonder if you laced them up. The team is already made. There wont be a surprising addition to the team just cause he had a good camp.

96. fbkj says:

so thats it then… simple as that… k well they should just not have these camps then

alright… so whats new with you cat?

97. Ayan_SB says:

I bet his buddy Evander Kane has some tips on how to KO Matt Cooke ;).

98. fbkj says:

meh i was a crappy defenceman, youd prolly slap me around some…

99. lefreak says:

this is PRACTICE

100. fbkj says:

rookie camp is not simply practice bro

101. Favorite Son says:

Nobody’s gonna want PK to fight during the season. If he does, that means one of our best D would be out for 5 minutes. Martin’s not going to tolerate that.

102. fbkj says:

disagreed, coaching staff most probably didnt give any of it much thought and maxwell will stay where he is, sucking

103. JustSomeguy says:

I worked at Metcalfe, year after it opened (’94?).

So there :p

104. lefreak says:

kevin???

:p

105. JustSomeguy says:

No, net Kevin — but I spent a lot of time playing pinball with him.

I was the weekend cook / janitor, and spent some time serving.

106. Propwash says:

lol, yep, thatll do it

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

107. lefreak says:

i used to work at hatters back in the day.

thanks for making me feel old:p

108. Propwash says:

Which Hatters? I started going there when they were on DeMaisonneuve.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

109. fbkj says:

i started goin when they were on metcalf

actually i saw brodeur score a goal on us in the playoffs there

me sad now

110. lefreak says:

started going on metcalf, worked at bishop and demaisoneuve.

say hi to james for me:p

111. Propwash says:

Glen is still there, so is James. Been awhile since I’ve been there though.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

112. Propwash says:

lol, would James know you as LeFreak?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

113. fbkj says:

i dont remember any of the staff lol

114. bostonantifan says:

I know that rookies & AHL players don’t always use the same #’s in the NHL  (Henry, however did wear #24 when he was in Montreal).  (I’ve been following the Habs since the mid-60’s.)  What I want to know is what numbers they are wearing during the scrimmages & preseason games.  As for Tinordi, even though Henry wore 24 in Montreal when he was called up, he probably won’t be around when Tinordi makes the Canadiens for good.

115. bostonantifan says:

I think you’re correct, but it seems kind of ridiculous that they wouldn’t post the AHL jersey numbers on the site when they post all the other player information.  I mean, it’d be interesting to see what the numbers are.  Also, it wouldn’t be that difficult to add to the page.

116. SeriousFan09 says:

According to MA Godin’s twitter, Maxwell got the worst of it and was bleeding from the mouth after the exchange. Can’t imagine what Maxwell was thinking, P.K. is well, I think the technical term is jacked.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

117. Mike Boone says:

The dialogue that started the fight:

Maxwell: “You think you’re special?”

Subban: “Hey, man, is it my fault you’ve sucked every time they’ve given you a chance?”

118. Rugger says:

Great to see the intensity already!  Going to be a lot of fighting for spots this year.

119. lefreak says:

bye bye maxwell. it is good to show spunk, but not against a possible franchise player.

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

120. fbkj says:

nah, they are hockey players, these things happen all the time…

121. Tobiass says:

meh, whatever, Subban got in to a shoving match with someone else a couple days ago I recall and strikes me as someone who gets stuff going. Also the reason Bishops isnt skating, he injured him with a hit. Nothing wrong with that but I wouldnt put the blame all on Maxwell.

122. The Cat says:

Agreed. Hes out of there…

123. bostonantifan says:

Does anyone know if there’s somewhere that the rookie’s uniform numbers are listed?  I’m particularly interested in Jared Tinordi.  I know he’d like #24, but according to the Habs site, that belongs to Alex Henry.  Canadiens.com does an incredibly lousy job listing uniform numbers of it’s players, considering it’s the official site of the team.

124. lefreak says:

i could be wrong, but i believe that the team never assigns numbers on their website unless the player makes/plays a few games with the big club.

125. Bill J says:

Rookies & AHL players do not always use the same #’s in the NHL.

Specially when it comes to Montreal.

IE if memory serves, SK74 wore 23 in Hamilton (irony is not lost on me on this weird numerical oxymoron).

I think it is more telling to what # he may like, as to what he chooses in London.

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

126. lefreak says:

i would agree with this, but with markov out and MAB’s shot gone from the pp…you would think that the habs would have a very big interest in not losing a key replacement to these guys during a scrimmage in rookie camp.

127. showey47 says:

Put yourself in maxwell’s shoes who may be looking at his last chance to ever crack the habs lineup. In his position you don’t pick and chose who you hit or fight with.

128. lefreak says:

maxwell will not make this club by fighting.

129. Bill J says:

PK is showing he is ready for Flyers type Hockey.

And wants to win… So he improved his physical play.

Makes him NHL ready IMO.

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

130. fbkj says:

its hockey, you dont coddle unless you have to

you dont have to coddle subban

especially at training camp

131. showey47 says:

He may get a serious look by playing tough,which is what he was trying to do. Its what happens during these hockey camps. It will happen also in the main camp next week.

132. fbkj says:

hes showing physicality, nobody here is suggesting maxwell is simply trying to fight his way onto the team

this is hockey

133. Bill J says:

PK Subban is a human wrecking ball…

That’s 2 “rookies” he’s hurt in the last week.

what he did to Jordan Staal.

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

134. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh don’t talk about Jordan Staal, Daniel Carcillo might come by to give us all a lecture about good manners in the NHL and not trying to deliberately injure players.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

135. Bill J says:

Personally I see it like this.

PK is NHL ready…. Maxwell & Bishop…. Perhaps not so much.

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

136. Storm Man says:

Here comes the BOOM…..PK(Boom)Subban keep it up kid you will be Mayor of the city soon.

137. Bill J says:

Sorry, I did mean to imply Jordan Staal as tongue in cheek.

PK was not even looking at Staal when it happened, in no way was it deliberate.

Nor was Price cutting Markov.

The two incidents this week ?

I believe it shows PK is NHL ready.  And improved his physical play, so he can help the Habs compete against the “Flyers” of the league.

I like it!

Sucks for Maxwell and Bishop – but they are FAR from franchise type players.

The one laying the “smack down” – HE is ready!

Cammalleri for Team Captain!

138. SeriousFan09 says:

I know you did, just thought I’d take another shot at that hack Carcillo. I hope he’s the next guy to meet Evaner Kane’s fist.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

139. mrhabby says:

Ben Maxwell..give me break. Hopefully a one way ticket back to steel town and stay there.

140. habs-hampton says:

That’s nuts! Imagine if PK broke his hand or wrecked his shoulder during a meaningless fight at rookie camp. Do we really want the stars of the future here, playing aginst guys who have one last chance to show they might have potential down the road?

141. fbkj says:

this is HOCKEY

also subban has gone on record saying that he cant let being a fan favourite get to his head

so yes lets coddle him?

jesus id like to know how many post here have actually laced em up?

142. Ayan_SB says:

PK could’ve also destroyed Eller with a hard hit during the development camp earlier this summer. For anybody who’s seen the video, you’ll notice that he stopped at the last second.

It was soon after the Halak trade, imagine if he had knocked Eller out with an injury.

143. fbkj says:

??? these comments are just ridiculous lol

144. Ayan_SB says:

How is it ridiculous?

I meant imagine if our best prospect would’ve injured arguably our second best prospect in Eller soon after the Halak trade. People would’ve been lamenting the trade even more.

Which reminds me, I think it’s time I change my avatar lol…

145. fbkj says:

because these guys are fighting for NHL jobs, subban himself has clearly shown the attitude that hes going to fight for his position, at this level, you compete, yes it would suck if he injured himself, but that doesnt mean he should stop giving it his all at every opportunity…

tensions boil, these things happen, its easy to pull out a monacle in hindsight and dictate this or that but the fact is you have a bunch of kids that are all alpha males, trying to achieve lifelong goals, these things will happen and itll happen again

lots

i remember koivu laying the beatdown to darcy tucker one pre-season… good times

146. Ayan_SB says:

Umm, I wasn’t criticizing what PK did or didn’t do. I was just pointing out what he could’ve done to Eller earlier this summer. I thought the guy was a tank last season, and now apparently he’s even stronger and faster. Man, I can’t wait for the season to begin haha.

147. fbkj says:

i just got fired up in the “ZOMG hockey players fighting oh NOES” outpouring here, my bad :D

cant wait either