Pacioretty word seems likely early evening ET

Max Pacioretty

The Canadiens are in the air en route to Anaheim at this hour. It’s anyone’s guess whether NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has communicated word to Habs GM Pierre Gauthier about his decision on any punishment coming the way of Max Pacioretty for Saturday’s hit on Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang.

The likeliest scenario has word being made official around 7 pm ET, when the Canadiens’ charter is due to set down in California.

We’ll have details here when the announcement is made by the NHL and/or the team.

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I know WHY ??? Max gets 3 and Malone gets 0
    …Max ain’t IRISH !!!
    …ONLY reason I can ‘logically’ t’ink of :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

2. Matt. says:

Oh well at least the Canadiens can use their deep farm system and recall a player who can have an immediate impact, like Dany Masse or Phillipe Lefebre.

Wait…

3. Habsolutely says:

Zero game suspension for this:

and Max Pac gets three… same old same old in the bush NHL.

• Chuck says:

You watch the replay, specifically the one from up high behind the end boards, and it’s indisputable that Malone both leans into and extends his elbow through Campoli’s head.

It show’s obvious intent to target Campoli’s head, just as Ference did against Halpern in last year’s playoffs. The video evidence is there, so why no suspensions?

4. RJ says:

Shanahan is just another puppet. Unbelievable! Maybe instead of being honest, Pacioretty should have done what Chara and Lucic did – LIE!

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

5. G-Man says:

I believe I am vindicated.
    Like I said, if you receive the hit and wear the CH, the hitter receives no suspension. If the hitter wears the CH, he will be suspended.
    Shanahan, you are now a bigger joke than the rectum you replaced.

6. roady says:

gone for 3…kinda sucks the big one IMO…we are about to go on a bit of a streak ….wonderful…just wonderful

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

7. piper says:

Campoli still out – no suspension for Malone
    Miller still out – no suspension for Lucic
    Letang back same game to score winner – 3 games for Pac
    WTF!!!!!!!!!

8. mrhabby says:

lol..and the hyprocracy continues.

9. Propwash says:

I was hoping the most severe would have been a fine.
    I wonder what Shanascam’s excuse will be for this one.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

10. habsfan0 says:

Bulletin! Habs trade Pacioretty to Boston, Shanahan immediately lifts suspension..

11. anotherhab says:

Shanahan reminds me of that local politician who you thought was okay and then he went of to Ottawa and became an asshole!!

12. slapshot777 says:

I think Shanahan is nothing more than a piece of sh!t puppet. Who makes his calls while being told what to do by that other village idiot Campbell.

So Saturday was screw the Habs night. If I’m Geoff Molson I tell Bettman he can forget any cheque beibg written this year to take care of his bullsh!t teams and his bunch of croonies. let’s see how much of a sting that would put in the NHL coffers. problem is the Habs are just as soft off the ice as they are on it. We wonder why the team doesn’t get any tougher, they are the mirror image of management.

It’s like a bully telling a kid what to do and asks what are you going to do about it. The reply is what do I have to do? and nothing.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

13. TINMAN17 says:

What a bunch of bullshit. Next time check their goalie, we know that’s ok.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

14. habs1966 says:

Shanahan is not better than Campbell! The Bruins have the NHL in their pockets, it’s a shame what this league has became:(

15. LL says:

Ah, hypocrisy at it’s finest. I would’ve been more surprised if he wasn’t suspended.

16. Shane1313 says:

Outraged, but why would I expect different. Chara- nothing. Lucic blatantly tries to injure a player without a puck-nothing
    Pac for a shoulder hit that went a tad wrong – 3 games
    F***in stupid

17. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Mhe, just another reason I’m glad I don’t shell out for sports channels and pirate the games online. When I want to pay for hockey I got watch Major Midget. This league hasn’t gotten a dime out of my household in a couple years, and I’m what their demographers would call a “core hockey fan”.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

18. Shane1313 says:

Pacioretty gets three games. Unless my source is wrong.
    If so, this is damn ridiculous. Ridiculous

19. topher5468 says:

Max gets 3 games, that is complete Bull Sh!t.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

20. Fansincebirth says:

3 games for Patch
    what a joke of a league

21. kempie says:

So are they gonna release a puff of white smoke or something?

22. Nahlsy says:

The NHL continues to show it’s little more than a bigoted, piece of shit Mickey Mouse league. Anyone surprised? Go back and look at the hits Letang’s dished out over the past two years that all received nothing, or say Chara breaking Pacioretty’s neck intentionally for nothing, but a clean and legal hit given by a Hab to the chest, with no elbow, without leaving his feet equals three games. Heh suuuuuuure it is. Heh Vince McMahon needs to take that Gary Bettman mask off and fess up already.

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…3 games for Max :( …per TSN

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Alexander Semin ? …the biggest cancer on the Capitols, and some here are salivating to make him a Hab ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Mike D says:

Agreed. Semin has undeniable skill, but he definitely lacks heart and doesn’t give a consistent effort.

- Honestly yours

I hate to give Macguire any credit in discussing his rumour, but you are correct about Semin.

• jo_maka says:

If this bird rumour turns out to be true, I’m rooting for Bobby Ryan. Please no Semin. If there is a hint of a shadow of a possibility for Malkin, make it happen.

Dreams are free, so let me feel good

I’ll wake up when PG trades for Cogliano and pull Nodl off the waivers……..
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Malkin is My dream too Jo

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Izzy says:

it took me over an hour to research this bird rumour after reading what somebody outright lied about earlier. He said he listened to Pierre McGuire earlier on the team 990 and that Pierre said the habs were going to make a big trade with a team with a bird logo…….found todays team 990 podcast and listened to the entire thing….24 mins….at the end of the interview, Melnick asks Pierre where will Zack Parise end up?…Pierres answer was…somewhere with a team that has a bird logo that really like ice…….end of interview……no habs….no trade….no rumour, other than that started by the idiot below….and thats how they start….and thats how he waisted over an hour of my time…

“Peter Mahovolich wouldn’t have taken that crap”

25. TOP DAWG says:

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If Martin was fired in the 1st two weeks of this season we could have gotten Kirk Muller. This blows!

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

26. Gorges_the_great says:

If Malone managed to get away scott free from his hit on Campoli, where the refs saw enough to assess a match penalty, I have trouble seeing how Pacioretty could be suspended. Shanahan’s words from his video apply word for word to this check as well. Letang looks at Pacioretty and changes his head position significantly to put himself into a vulnerable position while Pacioretty has committed to the hit. On top of that the on-ice officials saw no reason to penalize the play.

That said, I’d be ok with Pacioretty getting a game if Malone got one. I’ll be interested in the rationale if Pacioretty gets suspended.

This is like waiting for the jury, what do they say, the longer the jury deliberates higher chance for guilty?

28. Everlasting1 says:

Hmm..does Paul Maurice speak french? Boudreau? :)

——————————————————————-
    Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

29. habscout says:

What the *bleep* is Shanahan waiting for ? Let’s get this thing over with.

30. Neutral says:

what ever PG does it’ll be a band-aid fix again and the team he dealt to will be better – play the season out – make changes at trade time and in the off season to make the team younger and better….

• Rugger says:

IF the .500 results continue to near the trade deadline, I would like to see the Habs pull a reverse LeClair trade – send Gianta & Cammy to someone for younger up & coming players. Ideally we could send Gomez too but don’t think that would happen. In order to get good you need to send good.

31. 365fan says:

Here is a thought:

The most feasible mid season replacement for JM is Carbo. He was fired for being unable to coach an uncoachable team and maybe has learned from the first go round. I can’t think of any other non-Mario tremblay type replacement right now.

32. Propwash says:

Kerry Frasier’s take on the o/t goal, and the Max-Pac hit

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

33. jmsheehy19 says:

I don’t think Patches had any intent, And I think Letang ducked into the hit as a result of Cole’s back check. That said, I advocate a near zero tolerance system with regards to head shots, and so I think he should be suspended for 2 or 3 games.

The problem I have is the Lucic hit and Malone hit were worse and they were left off. If he gets suspended and this is the start (or rather a return) of consistency by Shanahan, then I’d be fine with it. But sadly I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

34. Everlasting1 says:

My belated congrats to Capt. Kirk as newly appointed head coach of the ‘Canes. Wishing him much success in turning that franchise around.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

35. The Cat says:

Listening to Kirk in his press conference, its interesting he mentions Demers and Carbonneau as people hes learned from and didnt mention JM. We can safely say Kirk and JM didnt get along.

36. habin-ktown says:

The refs didn’t see anything wrong with the hit,I didn’t see anything wrong with the hit it was a hockey play as patches said himself he felt like if he didn’t hit him he couldn’t made a play and even a potential goal

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…considering where We are at this season …I would be very (pleasantly) surprised We make the playoffs this year
    …We have substantial capability to improve …certain Players picking-up Their games, and the return of injured that hopefully will not miss a beat as far as Their former-skill levels are concerned
    …the THANG that makes Me pessimistic is the fact other teams that did not make the playoffs last season are much stronger, …with more teams than last season with realistic potential to squeeze Us out
    …Gawd !!! …I don’t know WHAT I will do with Myself if those curds from Turannasville make-it, and We are left lookin’ in the window come April/May
    …I’ve never attempted suicide before
    …better start researching correct Seppuku ceremonial precedure :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

38. Propwash says:

Saw below a trade rumor started by McGuire. Gomez isn’t going anywhere as he is injured.
    I think it is feasible that someone could be moved however, seeing that Markov is on his way back.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

39. 365fan says:

It is time for PG to use the advantages that he has. These are cap space and money. He has to use them to pry a useful player out of a budget team. If that means taking a bad salary back from Anaheim/Calgary/san Jose/Minnesota (and burying it in the ECHL) as part of getting a good player, then so be it. I would love a miracle Glmour-for-Leeman type trade but I am realistic. Right now I would take a couple of serviceable 3rd or 4th liners, as we don’t have enough NHL calibre forwards in the organization. Right now we have 11 total: Pleks/Gio/Cammi, DD/Mac/Cole, Eller/AK/Moen, Gomez/White. Nokia and Darche are bubble guys. With White out we are reduced to a 3 line team and the coach can’t sit a guy out in order to light a fire under someone. Our defence depth is ok, but for a team with our resources to be so short staffed is inexcusable. The 3rd and 4th lines should be the easiest to fill and no team wins without 4 lines that can contribute. Plus, injuries happen and we don’t have any buffer from that eventuality.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That’s a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• Stev.R says:

I don’t think cap space is our advantage. Last I looked we had the second highest payroll in the league

• 365fan says:

That is with Palush/Enq/Darche tying up about 2.4m when they are all on the roster. Between them they have 1 point between them. It is time to try something different. And, I haven’t even mentioned the albatross that is Gomez’s contract.

40. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m a Habs fan, so losing Pacioretty for a few games would be a shame.
    I’m a hockey fan though, and he deserves at least a game, maybe more, for that hit. I really hate to say it, I realize that there have been many other wrongs none of which add up to a right, but that hit was a cheap and not very smart move, and our player deserves a sanction for it.

• ABHabsfan says:

I gotta differ, that hit was not cheap. It was inadvertant and unfortunate that it caught Letang in the chops. If Malone gets nothing for the shot to Campy’s head in the pre-season, this get’s 1 game tops. That goon Deveaux only gets 3 for trying to decapitate (forget the player’s name) then Patches gets no more than 1. If he wanted to get him int he head I think Letang is carried off, not scoring the winner a few minutes later.
      Inadvertant, high-speed collision.Nobody got hurt, end of story.

41. kempie says:

I found myself wondering and I couldn’t come up with an answer. Does anybody remember the last time a Hab player was on the receiving end of a hit that resulted in a suspension? I have one in mind but it was a loooong time ago.

42. Nahlsy says:

It’s taking so long because Shanahan can’t make his video with a straight face. Really, Letang got hit? The same Letang that’s been one of the worst head hunters in the league for the past 2 yrs and he’s the so called victim because he had a nose bleed? Ok well who did the hitting? Really? I thought he died when Chara’s fifth attempt to take him out finally worked and we had to do everything in our power to convince people that it was a hockey play and Chara did nothing wrong so Collie’s brat didn’t have his team lose it’s captain? He lived and now we’re going to suspend him even after trying to pretend Chara was a first time offender on his 500th suspension hearing?

Ah come on, how am I supposed to say all of this and make it sound convincing? If I was that good an actor, I’d have gotten that role as Dino instead of just making jokes about it!

43. piper says:

Shouldnt be a suspension. That was a great hit and about time the habs started to hit like that. I’ll be shocked if there’s a suspension. But then again I was shocked that Malone and Chara were not suspended.

44. Habsrule1 says:

I asked this in reply to a post below, but I’d love to read more answers:
    Who would your top 3 choices for a new Habs coach be if JM was fired tomorrow?
    1) Top 3 – Any choices, taken or not?
    2) Top 3 – Only any available coach?
    3) Top 3 – Any available coach, assuming he must speak French?

Go Habs Go!!

• jo_maka says:

If we’re taking from the Q, I’d say one obvious choice for me would be Benoit Groulx, from Gatineau Olympiques
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Mario Tremblay would liven things up. He’s be way better than Jacques Demers – oops, I just saw “JM” and not “JD”. Sorry, got my panic coach firings mixed up.

• TheKarl says:

1) A. Torterella – B. Boucher – C. Babcock
      2) A. Cunneyworth – B. Maurice – C. Roy
      3) A. Roy —> The entertainment value would be unbelievable

45. habs_moleman says:

Look, the fact of the matter is this team shouldn’t be as bad as the standings say. And I couldn’t care less about the argument that Jacques Martin’s system is offensively stifling because, as it stands, the Habs are actually in TENTH POSITION for 5 on 5 scoring! Now that’s already a 13 position progression from last year and when you’re scoring that much you should be winning hockey games, but the real issue is the powerplay!

However, these are my concerns with the team and coaching decisions:

-injuries to defense first and foremost

-lack of offensive creativity and sustained pressure, often caused by missing the net on high, wide shots from the outside

-TERRIBLE powerplay that lacks creativity and enthusiasm, both the players and coaches are to blame

-constant line makeovers, ruins the momentum of lines that are actually working while I understand the idea of trying to get your whole team firing

-lack of DISCIPLINE, forget conspiracies about the refs hating on the Habs, more often than not they deserve their penalties (that being said I can’t say that the same about the non-calls against other teams)

Despite the fact that our powerplay has been so terrible, why don’t I hear anybody bitching about our penalty kill, a *defensive* part of the game? Because it’s 3rd best in the league! So how about give credit where credit is due? More people here just bitch and moan and forget to look at the positives. The season is still up for grabs, yes the team isn’t perfect, yes we’re still missing pieces to be dominant, but I still would rather look at the good of this team than all the crap.

Ps. for all those who still think trading off all your assets and bombing year after year for a rebuild is the solution, how many teams, aside from pittsburgh and chicago, can you say have succeeded using that strategy?

• JohnBellyful says:

You don’t hear much chatter about the penalty kill because, as great as it is, it cuts into time that could be better spent on trying to score goals, which doesn’t come easy for the Habs. And too often it’s energy wasted on preventing a stupid mistake — dumb penalty — from hurting the team on the scoreboard.

46. InPriceWeTrust31 says:

oh ya thats true penguins to , hmmmm malkin maybe???? only one can hope gomez will be on his way out !

Quelle arrete de carey price!

47. habsfan0 says:

As Patches is a repeat offender he’ll probably get suspended.The way he took out a defenseless, immobile stanchion is inexcusable.

48. JohnBellyful says:

In light of today’s events, I resurrect in part a post I submitted May 28 which suggested that Martin be fired and then rehired. The reason: the two coaches in the Stanley Cup final shared a common denominator — both had been fired by the Habs.
    As I explained six months ago:

No, the only solution is to fire Martin – and hire him back 24 hours later. Should be more than enough time for JM to experience an epiphany and return to the coaching ranks a changed man. A man who recognizes he’s been given a second chance, a chance to do things differently. No more system, at least a system we’ve come to recognize all too well. No more 1-3-1-!!!, maybe 1-1-1-1-1-!!!!, or 4-1-0-WHAT’S GOIN’ ON HERE??, or my favourite, 2² -2² -2²

Okay, so it never happened but that’s the Canadiens for ya.
    Actually, it would be better, even perfect, to make the kind of move I suggested then at this time of year. What do they show every Christmas? A Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and It’s a Wonderful Life. In each and every case, the main character experiences an epiphany and emerges a better person/creature.
    JM, I’m certain, could join their ranks with the proper sort of stimulus. If PG doesn’t feel up to it, fly in Donald Trump for a day:
    “Jacques, you’re fired!”
    “Jacques, you’re hired!”

49. InPriceWeTrust31 says:

Heard pierre maguire before on tsn team 990 and he said that montreal is going to make a trade with a bird team , to take us over the top , only ones i can think of is anahiem and washington who knows tho

Quelle arrete de carey price!

• The Dude says:

Fleury & Neil for Price? Oh, I’m gonna hear it,lol

• geo_habsgo says:

Was he suggesting that its been done or that its in the process of happening? Things seem a bit quiet in Habsland so I wouldnt be surprised. My guess is Semin from the Caps as his name has been floating around for a while now..Not sure that would take us over the top though so who knows.

• InPriceWeTrust31 says:

might not take us over the top but im hoping it could give us some scoring , pierre maguire knows his hockey so im hoping what he is saying is true , we need a goal scorer , my praises go to cammalleri but he has yet to show a 30 goal season or even a pace for 30 its a shame!

Quelle arrete de carey price!

• piper says:

yep, he”d fit right in. with the rest of the pussies.

• Propwash says:

Doubt it.

_____________________________
      Being negative has its advantages,
      you’re never disappointed.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Getzlaf or Perry for Gomer ??? :)
      …I’m think I’m smokin’ what Stephen is smokin’ today

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• JohnBellyful says:

Great. Our luck it will be either the Grand Rapids Griffins, second last in their division, or the Springfield Falcons, last in their group.
      However Giroux’s ripe for the pluckin’ from the Falcons …Never mind, it’s Alexandre Giroux. Wait a minute! He’s 6’2″ and weighs 200 lbs! Oooooh!

• 365fan says:

It’s time for PG to use the clearest advantages he has for trades. He has to find a desperate budget team and pry a useful player out of it using the Habs’ cap space and budget. If it means taking a bad salary from Anaheim, say, and burying it somewhere, then do it. I would love a miracle trade but I doubt that will happen. Right now I would take a serviceable 4th line as we simply don’t have enough NHL calibre forwards in the organization. Right now we are a 3 line team.

• InPriceWeTrust31 says:

agreed , we are a 3 line team , but for me getting another 4th liner is pointless i like the darche noky and blunded line , i dont know why blunden is in the minors when he was called up the habs seemed to have alot more energy playing , not saying one player did it

Quelle arrete de carey price!

• jo_maka says:

My guess would be for Bobby Ryan. Getzlaf ain’t moving. But who could we possibly package that have some value ? Cammy is not the same since Capt Kirk left. On the other hand, if it’s Gionta, it’s even easier for PG to justify moving Gomez afterwards. Don’t worry about the C, the kids are OK, I’ll give it to either Pleks or 26. Of course it has to be a package deal. I wouldn’t put it past PG. He wanted Jagr in the summer but JM didn’t. Room chemistry something something…

BTW, even if it’s not completely out of character for the GM to make the trip with the team, it doesn’t happen very often. And PG is on board with the Habs for Anaheim. Where he used to work. A team who dealt with him a lot since he’s been with the Habs.

Kostitsyn – Eller – Ryan

One can hope, right ? :)
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• InPriceWeTrust31 says:

Bobby Ryan would be a hell of a player for us , but i find we good on wingers , im hoping they make this trade for a center with some hands and who can make those passes that gets our scorers going , wtv pierre maguire is talking about he seemed like montreals season would be saved ! Penguins Malkin we all know they wont be able to keep him and keep room for crosby and staal

Quelle arrete de carey price!

• jmsheehy19 says:

Ducks are the only ones that would want a trade of the bird teams, unless you include the caps, and I can’t believe we have an interest in Semin. I would LOVE Perry or Ryan, but don’t want to think about the king’s ransom we’d have to pay for either of them.

• InPriceWeTrust31 says:

if it happens its gonna take a good piece of ours a talented skater and first round pick and a good prospect and we get a good player in return , Ryan Malkin or Semin , are some of my guesses who are going to be moved

Quelle arrete de carey price!

• jo_maka says:

Cammy + Paloosh + his curly hair + 1st round pick for Bobby Ryan.

Would you do it ?

If it’s Malkin (I’m all jittery just typin this), PG will have a street named after him and the next Pens game will be sold out as the Steel City’s pitchfork-wielding mob would want to be close enough to taste the blood when they decapitate Ray Shero.

_________________________________
          Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

50. The Dude says:

Who needs Captain “Kirk”Crunch when you have Count Chocula and his Lucky Charms Leprechauns eh!Fore……..

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…like Gerald, Hab In Burlington, mentioned below …Max Pacioretty should be suspended, without doubt
    …the real shame is the NHL already have allowed equal or worse perpetrators to walk-away without punishment multiple times already this season
    …setting-up all kinds of understandable knashing of teeth of Habs’ Fans
    …like Me :(

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

52. joeybarrie says:

Why is it that everyone thinks it is so easy to put together a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup?
    Why is it PG, BG, JM, and whomever else we seem to think is doing just a shitty job, are making such bad moves???
    Agreed the injured excuse is in fact old. But it is still a fact. When you lose 3-5 of your top 6 players for over half a season it is difficult to win the Stanley Cup.
    This team has competed quite well given the circumstances. This is a credit to PG, BG and JM. Now we have holes, of course. Every single team does…. But considering the tight East, and how we still havent had a single game where at least two of our key players were out we are doing quite well. Do I want to settle for this, absolutely not. But what choice do we have?
    Get over some of the same broken records i have been hearing here for awhile. The Wiz…. 10 game suspension for a stupid move and 4 PP assists in 15 games. Not exactly working miracles, especially given his ice time in Columbus.
    Judge this team once we see a healthy Markov. Once our young players have a little more consistency. Wait 2 months, and then see what they are capable of. We will be in the playoff picture. We have had little choice this season so far but to play with players who are not ready for the league yet. The players on the ice, AGAIN, are playing minutes they shouldnt have to.
    My only actualy grip was letting Hamr go. We could have used him. But he wanted a multiple year contract. And given the talent on that Caps squad, and the fact they just fired their coach…. People need to be realistic.
    By the way, some of the crazies here in DC saying how great Hunter is gonna be….. To me they hired another inexperienced coach. And to my knowledge he doesnt even have Asst coach experience in either the AHL or NHL…. Come in and deal with Semin, Ovie, Backstrom and the rest…. Good luck to him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Habsrule1 says:

You are obviously on the wrong site, speaking logically like that.
      I think most “fans” on this site think the NHL is the exact same thing as NHL12 on their gaming consoles. Markov’s gone, just go get Letang or Chara or Mike Green.

Go Habs Go!!

• neumann103 says:

Wait a minnit!

Can’t every team put together a team that wins the cup every year? Then any team in any season that does not win the cup is a failure! A TOTAL FAILURE I tells ya!!!!

All you need to do is tank and finish near to last for 3 years, Draft Giroux, Hall and Seguin and then trade for 15 players with SANDPAPER (TM) and GRIT (TM) and bob’s yer uncle!

Who needs a GM? There is a model!

“Et le but!”

53. HNS says:

Heard they lost the video and went with The Hangover Pt. 2

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hadn’t checked into HIO for a bit, and wouldn’t You know the unexpected is featured on the headlines, like seeing Kirk Muller being signed to replace Maurice in Carolina
    …first thought, Kirk being My personal preference to replace JM as Boucher already set sail …was, seeing His dynamic, attractive ‘winners mug’ in the photo, …wouldn’t He have been an inspiring sight to have seen behind the Habs’ bench ???
    …Kirk would be a healthy dose of Viagra for Our Habs …plus add ‘something’ entertainment-wise for It’s Fans
    …Coach-wise, at least, an improvement on Our current Alfred E. Neuman-look presently ‘the face’ of the previously Most Exciting Hockey Team On Earth
    …and, I am currently trying to remember the names of several of Our distinguished fellow-HIO Commentariat that took Me to task a few weeks ago when I suggested Kirk to replace Martin, if Martin was replaced …They took Me to task pointing-out KM already was employed by Columbus and the Blue Jackets would NEVER release Him in-season from His Milwaukee contract
    …hmmm, o well

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Habsrule1 says:

Ok, so Kirk is gone. I completely agree that he would have been a great JM replacement. Just for fun, who would you want taking over if JM gets canned next week?
      1) Top 3 choices
      2) Top 3 choices assuming he has to be bilingual (did that rule go out with Boivin?)

Go Habs Go!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ve mentioned before, putting Myself in the shoes of Geoff Molson (easy admittedly from My chair in British Columbia), …but I would tell the political-class in Quebec not to interfere in the best-interests of the Montreal Canadiens
        …My choice for Head Coach of the Montreal Canadiens would be a unilingual Afghani if it was WHAT is needed to excel
        …as for alternatives at this time, …well, We already let the 2 obvious best-choices fly like canaries from Our cage
        …and, I don’t like sloppy-seconds
        …so right now ?, I don’t see anyone else much better than JM …all I can be …for the moment …is pissed :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Curtis O Habs says:

Lemaire, Robinson, Nolan.
        Lemaire, Roy, Robinson (if bilingual), or Carbo.

55. Neutral says:

should win wed….lose thurs….sat could go either way.

56. jimmy shaker says:

This will be the verdict……5 games for letang! 3 for skating with his head down cutting across the blue line in the offensive zone. I believe that is known as the trolly tracks, and if your courageous enough to do it, then for the love of God, be responsible and keep you head up. A player needs to have his stick in control at all times, why not have some onus on the player with his head down too! Then 1 game for not going to the quiet room after the hit, then another for lying about the next couple of days and the sincerity of patch’s apology. Ahh what the hell, another game for that lettuce that needed to be cut yesterday. That’ll do em shanny!

And remember this is the NHL, where men play and hitting is aloud! Suck it up letang, you’re lucky scott stevens wasn’t playing

SHaker

57. neumann103 says:

Maybe putting this thing in edit mode will put it back where it belongs – the thread on Line Juggling.

1. max-pac Plekanec Kostitsyn
    2. Cole Desharnais Cammy
    3. moen Eller Gionta
    4. Darche Gomez Nokelainen

Not bad but the two pairings I believe have been most synergistic lately are MaxPac/Desharnais and Eller/AK46 and so I would keep them together

Consistently formatted as LW C RW i would go
    1. Cammy Plekanec Cole
    2. MaxPac Desharnais Gionta
    3. Moen Eller AK46
    4. Gomez Nokaleinen Darche

With the understanding that you play the first 3 lines roughly equally and the total TOI gets appropriately modified by individual TOI on PP and PK.

“Et le but!”

58. boonie says:

This doesn’t fit with the MaxPac story, but it’s the active thread, so…

Newsflash – Jacques Martin is NOT the problem. That does not mean he is without faults. He has a bunch. The problem is bigger than JM. It’s an organization-wide, systemic fear of failure.

JM coaches not to lose. Gauthier manages not-to-lose. He picked a safe coach — long-tenured in the NHL, solid-looking record, trips deep into the playoffs. He traded long-term assets for short-term solutions to ensure missing the playoffs.

Neither of these guys are winners. In this case, I define winner as a person who has won the Cup. Hell, their records as GM and coach are sub-average since the lockout. Worse when you consider they spend to the cap and have organizational resources most small countries would die for.

The Blues and Caps were sufficiently underwhelmed with “.500″ to make major changes. It took a disastrous start to change an ASSISTANT coach.

Geoff Molson needs to realize is he can’t lose. He owns the building. The Habs play in a hockey Mecca. The money rolls in (largely) unaffected by trivial things like missing the playoffs. It’s time to change the organizational mindset and reset it expectations on “winning”.

59. Habsrule1 says:

mjames…please spare us the history lesson.
    We all know the moves that were made.
    Difference is we also recognize that actually doing the job of the GM for the Montreal Canadiens isn’t quite as easy as it seems from your couch while eating cheezies.

Go Habs Go!!

• doogie says:

Might as well go back to the appointment of Irving Grundman, ’cause from that point onward, from 1978, as golf commentator Peter Alliss would say, “it’s all becoming a bit unravelled.” Sam had to retire at some point and I.G. wasn’t the guy. It’s been a model of instability from that point on.

60. Sharks9 says:

Just a fact for everyone, the Habs are the only team with a positive goal differential whose not in the top 8 in the Eastern Conference.

The only team with a negative differential in the top 8 is Washington.

25 before 14

61. Psycho29 says:

Like I posted on an earlier thread, I was at the game, and I said to my buddy when it happened that it might be a suspension.

I watched the replay in slow motion when I got home, and just before the hit, I noticed that Erik Cole kind of slowed Letang up enough to get him off balance and drop slightly before the hit.

I seem to remember the same thing happen to Campoli just before Ryan Malone hit him. (Resulting in no suspension from Shanny)

Of course our good pal PJ Stock said during the late CBC game that he was “upset that there wasn’t a 5-minute penalty”

62. petefleet says:

In my opinion, Max does not deserve a suspension for that hit. It was a clean body hit and it looked like Letang saw him coming. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a game or two just to show him that he should have kept his eyes open for that turn buckle last year. (sarcasm)

******************************************
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

I am fine with Max Pac getting 2-3 games. To me it was these hits and the ones much worse that I thought the league was trying to outlaw, where the Hittee bears some responsiblity.

Having said that, they have missed many already, why do I get this feeling that it is easier for Shanny et al to penalize Montreal players rather than say Ranger or Bruin star players.

64. Habsolutely says:

The reason the decision is taking so long is becasue Shanahan is like “really, a Hab hit someone? You mean a Hab actually thru a hard body check? Get out of here!”

65. mjames says:

I find it difficult to understand the support given to PG. Without a doubt PG has built on the disaster started by BG and assembled a second tier team. I doubt we will make the playoffs and if we did we will be out after the first series. While I blame PG and BG for this disaster they are not alone. Except for Serge Savard and Andre Savard our GM’s have made mistake after mistake which has rendered theis franchise a shell of its former self. To support my point each day I will point to a player move we made which ended up being a net negative to the team. Yesterday I mentioned the the D’Agostini / Pulshaj trade. Today I point out the Riberio trade from some defenseman which everyone in the league knew was on the downside of his career. BG easentially made a gift to Dallas.

Now I know the majority of the socalled “real ” Hab fans will rationalize this move as they will say Riberio had to be moved. I have no problem moving a player but for _od’s sake please get something return.

Tomorrow I will cite another move .

mjames

66. Neutral says:

These would be my 4 forward lines win or lose

1. max-pac Plekanec Kostitsyn
    2. Cole Desharnais Cammy
    3. moen Eller Gionta
    4. Darche Gomez Nokelainen

at least the centers would be playing center.

67. habs11s says:

I love how Letang was well enough to go back out during the game, but is ‘on the mend’ today, its feels like the ‘my back hurts’ car crash person

____________________________________________________

68. longbow says:

If Shanny is going around asking for advice on the Pacioretty hit I hope he has enough sense not to ask Ciarelli or Burke.

“There are three kinds of lies. Lies,damnable lies and statistics.” – attributed to Benjamin Disraeli

69. habs03 says:

So many people keeping talking about fire JM, fire PG (has been good as the Habs GM), yet no one ever come up with a reasonable replacement. Key word reasonable, aint no hiding the stupid language issue that comes with Canadiens.

Edit:

I’m actually trying to think of people that would be decent, maybe Roy, but he is so emotional that after a bad loss he might trade the whole team if he was GM, maybe as a coach…

• shiram says:

If a candidate comes with his own translator, is that ok?

Randy for HC!

• howtathor says:

There’s always Clement Jodoin in Hamilton but he has no pro credentials. Maybe Martin Raymond in Winnipeg but all I can come up with are the hacks on l’Antichambre. The best would be Big Bird but I don’t think he would do it. Lemaire is too boring. We need someone who can open up our offensive players.

70. PrimeTime says:

DAMN!! I wanted Hunter behind the Habs bench……he’s gonna be a great NHL Coach and makes WSH even a stronger contender for the Cup!

Agh….he probably would have turned down the job anyway, wouldn’t have the patience for the French media and would have heated up the “culture” debate to no good.

71. Captain aHab says:

I think JM will get a pass on a firing until Markov has been back for a while. If the team still sucks for a bunch of games after that, I think JM will be history. Mind you, they didn’t wait for Gonchar to come back before Firing Therrien in Pitts.

72. crazyhabsfan says:

AK is already back…

73. TommyB says:

Not surprised it is taking so long for the NHL to make an announcement regarding the decision following Pacioretty’s telephone hearing. Careful consideration has to be made…after all, he wears a Habs jersey. It’s not like it was a Bruin, saying “aw shucks, Shanny, I didn’t intend to make that contact, yada yada yada.” When you look at the circus the NHL’s discipline wing has become, you don’t know what to expect. However, if Bob Mackenzie is thinking 2-3 games, you know he is going to be very near the mark.

• DearyLeary says:

Bob said he thought Chara was going to get games. He’s not infallible.

Max should get a couple of games, but it’s not because the NHL is doing its job. Shanny got scared as soon as GMs started complaining. Back to business as usual in the NHL.

74. Bertuzzi says:

The firing of Boudreau gives Montreal fans hope.

• shiram says:

We could use some more AK46, hope he gets back soon.
      For all the whining about this guy, he’s been a steady performer.

Randy for HC!

• kempie says:

Who is that guy and why is he wearing a Kostitsyn jersey? But seriously, I’ve always liked the guy. He’s a notoriously slow starter, a streaky scorer but that’s what you get. One of the few guys who really seems worth his salary. Too bad he has to suffer unfair draft comparisons. I was worried that he wasn’t coming back this season but he looked very good against the Pens.

• davelecave says:

Looks pretty good at the point on the PP for Belarus. Maybe you should send this to JM.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I remember.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

75. thirdstone says:

Anyone that denies that the hit was at least questionable seems to me in denial. Come on, how can you say you’re surprised that they showed it on the board? Ot happened so fast and it seemed very much like a classic shoulder to head. You say maxs arm touched letangs nose. Given that an arm is slightly below the shoulder, often when the arm hits nose, shoulder hits head. I’m not sure if you’re suggesting that supplemental discipline shouldn’t be handed down if there wasn’t initial discipline at the time of the play. That is ridiculous, why would they not punish something the red missed just to be technivcally right in the language used to describe the punishment? Finally, shanahan is anew era of punishment. Don’t look for continuity with the campbell days.

76. kempie says:

Really? Huh. I don’t remember it. Was that around the same time Laps got suspended for that behind the net shovey thing?

77. topher5468 says:

Thats awesome, made me laugh when I feel like screaming

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

78. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

hahahah! I guess you’re right!

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!