Pacioretty wins Masterton trophy

Max Pacioretty

UPDATED: Canadiens winger Max Pacioretty –  whose 2010-11 season was ended when he suffered a cracked vertebrae and concussion when the Bruins Zdeno Chara slammed him into the glass support at the Bell Centre in a March, 2011 game — won the NHL’s Bill Masterton Award on Wednesday.

The NHL Awards were presented tonight and Pacioretty was one of the three top vote-getters, what the NHL calls “finalists,” for the Bill Masterton Award.

That award, named for the late Minnesota North Stars player whose story appears below, is presented to honor the NHL player who best exhibits the qualities of dedication and perseverance. The other two top vote-getters are Daniel Alfredsson of the Senators and Joffery Lupul of the Maple Leafs.

When the NHL announces that three players are “finalists” for an award, that doesn’t mean that a second round of voting then takes place to determine which of the trio gets the prize. There’s one round of voting, the top three vote-getters are named “finalists” but in reality, the guy who came in first is already the winner while the runner-up and third place finisher get the “finalist” designation as a little window dressing, providing some viewer suspense to the proceedings.

Each of these three overcame significant injury to have excellent seasons in 2011-12, leading the Habs in scoring.

Alfiredsson had back surgery last offseason and his return to the NHL was uncertain. The Sens captain (Daniel F., as Mike Boone calls him) He did come back, of course, and had a strong season as the Sens improved by 18 points and made the playoffs.

Lupul also had back problems and a blood disorder to overcome and he had a breakout year going for the Leafs until he separated his shoulder and missed the final 16 games of the season.

Here’s video of Pacioretty and his wife Katia prior to the awards show.

On NHL.com, Shawn O’Roarke had this story on how Pacioretty made the misfortune of the hit and his injury work in his favor. “I definitely take a lot of positives out of my situation and my injury,” he said. “I had to grow up a lot and I matured a lot. I kind of use it as motivation not to prove the people that doubted me wrong, but prove that you can overcome an injury like that and become a better player. I think I did that, but I know I have a lot of work to do down the road.”

He added some remarks on the Canadiens new coach, Michel Therrien and the club’s outlook going forward.

“I haven’t heard much, but what I have heard is he is pretty demanding of all of his players and I think that is really important for our team, because, like I said, I think we were really set off course last year and didn’t really have a sense of direction,” Pacioretty said. “If he is demanding of that, I think that is exactly the route we need to go.

“It’s nice to know we have a sense of direction now. Everyone is on the same page. With all the hirings and firings over the past season, it was a bit of a distraction and kind of set guys off course and made them question how they should play the game. Now that we have a sense of direction, everyone will know their role and what makes the team successful.”

Most don’t know much about Bill Masterton, fewer know that he began his pro career with the Canadiens organization. Here’s his story as told a few years ago by James Duthie on TSN.

Pacioretty is certainly deserving,  but really no more deserving than those who didn’t win. And that isn’t merely the other two “finalists,” but the additional 27 who were nominated from the rest of the league, one from each team.

All 30 deserve recognition for what they’ve combatted and overcome to stay in the game’s top league, despite the adversity and odds they’ve encountered.

On another subject, if you haven’t read Ken Dryden’s piece in The Globe and Mail about Red Fisher, you should. Here it is.

Below: Habs’ Max Pacioretty in portrait taken pre-awards by Harry How of Getty Images:

1. habstrinifan says:

Sometimes it’s better to be blank.

2. krob1000 says:

Here is a valid question although it is not popular opinion…..is Yakupov actually any better than Murray…..what if the Oilers just draft Murray 1st…no trade, no fireworks, just a positional need and the best availalbe dman…..then CLB has that 2nd pick…do they trade down? is this trading down actually myth with a group so close near the top? would they just apss on Yakupov given their Filitov hstory and take Galchenyuk, reinhart or Forsberg themselves? Galchenyuk being American would be a good sell for the fans. The Habs get Yakupov……this is nto as far fetched as many believe but I guess it all depends on just how clsoe the scouts have these guys…..we think the gap from 1 to 5 is huge because Yakupov has been there for so long…BUT…..it has appeared that gap has closed considerably and that is not to be ignored. Many other s are improving relative to him and he is no onger running away with things…..maybe the draft just goes with Murray going first

• Chris says:

I think any team passing on Yakupov at #1 is going to end up regretting that decision for the next 10 to 15 years.

Murray is a good player, but many people don’t even have him ranked as the best defenceman in the draft, but muddled in a group with Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, Maatta, and Reinhart. If Edmonton wants to swap their pick, they could probably pick up a roster player that can help them now and perhaps a second round pick in exchange for their #1 overall pick and they will still get to draft one of a group of defencemen that are roughly equivalent.

Murray is solid, but Yakupov has the potential to be a superstar and he’s the only guy that looks like he has that potential in this draft. I truly think Edmonton would be foolish to not deal that first overall pick if they are looking to draft a defenceman this year. There are too many teams that would die to get their hands on Yakupov.

3. Cardiac says:

All this talk about Burke forced me to research and remember on how he got both Sedins in 1999. Holy smokes, did he ever screw Tampa, Chicago and Atlanta.

Tampa had the #1 overall pick and when the smoked cleared, they ended up with Dan Cloutier, Niklas Sundstrom and two KHL nobodies.

Chicago got Bryan McCabe and a KHL throwaway.

We all know Atlanta ended up with that #1 overall pick and drafted Patrik “Big Bust” Stefan.

So in hindsight, all Burke had to give up was Bryan McCabe for Daniel Sedin. Mindblowing…
    - Jerry Maguire

• HabFanSince72 says:

Guess who Tampa’s GM was that year.

Yes, that’s right.

Our own Rick Dudley.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

4. alwayssunny says:

Woohooo!!!!! About time we see our boys bringing home the hardware. I thought we had a couple of candidates for the Lady Byng last year too but we dont get any respect.

5. youngwun says:

Why are people saying trade subban? Thank god none of you are gms!

6. Mattyleg says:

I thought it was HILARIOUS that Pierre McGuire thought that Kevin Lowe should get on the phone to Montreal to trade his #1 for our #3 and PK Subban.

When asked if he thought that would work, he said yes.

WHAT A FRIGGIN’ RELIEF WE DIDN’T GET THAT YUTZ AS GM!!

Like, honestly…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. kempie says:

WTF?

I just typed out a big long post, hit submit and it didn’t show up. I am, however, now logged in as HIB. Let the record show that I am not HIB, I am kempie. I wasn’t sure I believed all the stories from last night but I do now.

8. Strummer says:

Damien Cox had an intetresting article on the declining Russian factor in the NHL.

Drafting GM’s are avoiding Russians like the plague as their numbers in the NHL have dipped to mere 24 that suited up last season (including Radulov).
    Among the facts:

” Washington can’t get draft pick Evgeny Kuznetsov to come to North America, at least partially because he’s making $5 million per season tax-free as a 20-year-old in the KHL.”

Edit- This could be why so many top picks in this draft are in play as Russians are the top-rated.
    Maybe Forsberg is the way for Habs to go?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• shiram says:

I feel the KHL is trying to make a move to try and secure more and more of the young talented Russians, and it is already affecting the NHL. That said, the KHL could also try to target any player with their big money.

• Cardiac says:

Culturally, it’s easier to target your homegrown players.

- Jerry Maguire

• HabFanSince72 says:

This could also explain why Galchenyuk and Grigorenko are so keen on telling everyone how much they love the NHL. The higher the draft position, the higher the offer from Mother Russia.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

9. Shackles says:

Here’s a scenario; what if Gal is picked #2 -
    Do we take Murray at #3 & trade Markov for another 1st round pick or trade him later for a strong centreman?
    Is Markov even worth a 1st round pick?

• shiram says:

I don’t see anyone rushing to trade for Markov considering the past 2 years he has had.
      Besides, if Yak and Gal are gone, it’s all about Grigs! He’s the strong centerman.

• Chorske says:

Is Markov even worth a 1st round pick? A dominant PP QB who is finally healthy after two hard seasons, who is signed for reasonable term for reasonable money, and you want to trade him for a pick who MAYBE is ready for the NHL in three years?

• Shackles says:

You’re right Chorske. With my bright ideas it’s no wonder Molson and Savard didn’t bring me in for an interview.
        However, the rumours about Grigs make me nervous. He reminds of Kovie who I loved but more often than none, he’s the reason I went grey so early.

• Greg says:

Trevor Timmins is a best-player-available advocate. I doubt Grigs is #3 on their list, but I would imagine either Murray or Forsberg would be his choice. Who knows though, hard draft to call.

• nunacanadien says:

Let’s hope when Gilette sold the farm to Molson, that Gilette also took the cardboard cutout of him and Trevor, which was used to show whether a player was big enough….on the side it had “Cannot be taller than this to play for the Canadiens”…with a note: Can be taller if you have a bad knee…..

Who knew that the plan to make the habs suck even extended to drafting rookies? I only say this in gest, as I am sure that neither Trevor or Gilette had a cardboard cutout and hopefully Marc Bergevin will draft big and tall, Yakupov or bust…or Grigorenko then. Galynchuk is too tender hearted for the habs. We’ve had enough of yogurt eating tofu eating here, Laraques and Gauthier have sold out the habs to the wimps….no more of that!

10. kempie says:

So I’ve been kicking this around for a while and there was a time when I would have said that, if the Habs pick a dman 3rd, I’d lose my mind. The glaring need this team has had for a first line centre represents a gaping hole in our lineup that has existed since Damphousse & Smith. Picking 3rd is a glorious opportunity to land one.

Now I’m definitely on the #94 bandwagon. He’s the guy we need. But now it seems that he may or may not be on the board when we pick at #3. If that’s the case and it goes 1. Yakupov 2. Galchenyuk, what now? Last week I would have said Grigorenko without hesitation. Yes, he’s had some struggles and he’s slipped but he’s still a big lad with elite talent.

I know the temptation will be to take Forsberg because the team is weak on the left side. But lately I’ve been thinking what if they took Murray? How bad would that really be? You have to consider that this would perhaps become the best young defence in the league:

Tinordi/Subban
    Beaulieu/Gorges
    Ellis/Murray

Special teams pairings:

Beaulieu/Subban
    Ellis/Murray
    Tinordi/Gorges

Maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing. The D would be set for a while and MB could concentrate his efforts on other areas.

• krob1000 says:

If the Oilers leave this draft without an elite Dman they would be making a mistake….the are sooo deep up front and if they play their cards right they should leave with an NHL ready guy and a top 2 dman pick in Murray or Reinhart…

As mentioned below the Leafs don’t build hockey teams, they maintain a publicity machine …and Burke will be looking for a headline

11. Mattyleg says:

Hey everyone,
    I’m sure this has been looked at already, but what is ‘pro scouting’, which Ethan Moreau is now in charge of?
    Scouting in other pro leagues, like the KHL etc?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. r says:

How about this?
    Instead of swapping 3rd for 1st pick, the Canadiens should try to trade for the 1st pick.
    They should offer PK and a second round plus weber/diaz.
    Then draft Yakupov and Galchenyak.
    they played on the same team
    MB should make it happen

• Cardiac says:

We would probably have to offer Subban AND the #3 pick for the #1 pick.

- Jerry Maguire

Whew, I was starting to think this was an abnormal day on HI/O. But finally things are back to normal and somebody wants our best defenceman traded out of town. Thanks, feel better now. :)

• Chorske says:

You want to trade the cornerstone of our future defensive corps for a pick? What planet are you on?

Here’s reality: Edmonton has made it clear the #1 isn’t in play. Two seasons in, PK is playing what 25+ minutes a game against top opponents and is making few mistakes and is producing points. Any GM who isn’t a moron looks at an asset likes that and puts it in the DO NOT MOVE column.

A soon-to-be-superstar who is already a stud on d, a colossal pest, who can move the puck and skate and QB a PP… for a pick. And you’re throwing in Weber and Diaz! Ridonculous.

• Strummer says:

Pierre – Pierre McGuire- is that you dude?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• boing007 says:

Yak and Yuk. The Dynamic Duo. That’s the ticket.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• habstrinifan says:

r you crazy.

Note the punctuation I used is not a question mark.

13. mark-ID says:

Habs have released their schedule. We open October 11th at home vs. the Senators.

Article on Canadiens.com

14. secretdragonfly says:

NHL just released the 2012/13 schedule. I was shocked, SHOCKED I say, to see the Habs opening the season at home and not against the Leafs.

15. joeybarrie says:

Price

PK Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges

MaxPac, Eller, Leblanc, Desharnais, and the 3rd draft pick.

The future isnt looking so bad.
    I cant wait to see who we pick.

16. Psycho29 says:

Personally I’m glad Karlsson won the Norris. I always pull for the guy with more assists…

;-)

17. frontenac1 says:

LOL! Leaf vs Habs? Habs miss the playoffs ONE year and total house cleaning. Leafs miss playoffs 7 years in a row,4 with the same GM and he keeps his job. “Nuff said.

18. Newf_Habster says:

One more sleep until the 2012 NHL Draft Night! :)

So I have a few Leaf buddies who are pretty smart and haven’t completely drank the Blue and White Kool-Aid. The one fellow is convinced Burke is going to trade up with Columbus sending Schenn to the Jackets and swapping picks so Burke can grab Galchenyuk.

• habsfan0 says:

Being a “Leaf Buddy” and “pretty smart” are mutually exclusive.

Yah I hear you. But just as we Hab fans have some whacked out Hab friends the same is true in “Leaf Nation” (I really hate that phrase). Anyhow, there are HUGE expectations for Burke to produce his “Look at me” big splash moves at the draft this year.

• shiram says:

I hope the Habs don’t try to trade up, it does not seem to be worth the extra thrown in. Might as well roll the dice on with the third, you can end up with a better player than the first overall.

• krob1000 says:

I def think Burke will try what he can…but no matter what the Habs are getting a great player…the worst case sceanrio being Edm trades down, their partner takes Yak, Burke trades up, takes Galchenyuk, The Habs are then left with the wonderful predicament of deciding between Murray/Forsberg or Reinhart…or then the Habs possibly trading down further…. personally this is the only situation I would take Murray in… having Murray, Subban, Beaulie and Tinordi all developing and at diff’t rates (which is key in a salary cap world would be incredible moving forward). The Leafs have Gardiner who could be very enticing for the Oilers….What if the Leafs offered Gardiner and their 5th for Gagner and the 1st? would leave a gaping hole at D but who cares? the Leafs don’t build hockey teams they maintain a publicity machine and that is more important to MLSE

20. naweed235 says:

I’d be so happy if I hear this tomorrow:
    The habs have traded the 3rd overall pick + Aron Palushaj + Weber to the Ducks for forwards Bobby Ryan…
    WOOOHOOOO

I hope the opposite, no disrespect but I want the team to draft and develop their own high end talent. Reap the benefits of a kid who is lower salary for the first 2 contracts and then when the contract is huge, he will be a bonafide Hab star hopefully.

Just look at MaxPac, we have been able to get some amazing contributions from him at a low cost on our caphit, just the same with PK. The benefits of this are so high I feel versus having to go out and buy these players already at big market costs. We can do that when the team is ready to make big noise in the playoffs.

• JF says:

Good post. This is not the time to be taking on any more big contracts. We need to develop our young players, including whoever we draft tomorrow, and build slowly.

• petefleet says:

I don’t like the idea of trading such a high pick even for Bobby Ryan. That said, if they want to trade Weber, Campoli, Palushaj, Kaberle and Gomez for just about anyone else’s castaways, I’m all for it. Keeping Palushaj may work out in the end as well but not the others.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

21. habsfan0 says:

When Max won the Masterton award last night, I was hoping that Zdeno Chara would have got up and shaken his hand. It definitely would have been a very classy moment.

I guess I was hoping for too much.

• Cardiac says:

I’m surprised Max didn’t thank him… for without Chara we would not have been on that stage last night.

- Jerry Maguire

• Mattyleg says:

Echhhh… I think it would be an unbelievably awkward and unpleasant moment.
      “You’re welcome for the trophy, Max. People were afraid you were dead, but look at you now…”

I’m incredibly glad it didn’t happen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

22. Habsrule1 says:

I honestly have thought all along that Karlsson would win the Norris. Those points are just too high to ignore. Was Paul Coffey ever the best all-around defenseman in the league? Not all 3 years he won the Norris.
    I was kinda pulling for Paul McClean for the Jack Adams because I was shocked at how well the sens did, but when I was reminded of the Blues’ record after Hitchcock took over (43-15) I knew he’d get it.
    None of the other awards were a surprise to me at all.

Go Habs Go!!

23. pottymonster says:

Let’s imagine that Yakupov goes #1, and Galchenyuk goes #2. It’s now our pick and Ryan Murray and Forsberg are both available. Who do you pick?

Same thing if it’s between Galchenyuk and Murray available. Who do you take?

• shiram says:

Grigorenko. If Gal is available, I take him.

• Kooch7800 says:

Tough call. We need a big Centre between Forsberg and Murray….
      Murray is more NHL ready and will be a good NHL D man who can move the puck well. Could set up for a trade of some other d prospect as part of a package.

forsberg could help with his size and he likes to grind. His offense worries me a little bit but apparently all the scouts think he is fantastic and I would think they know what they are talking about.

To be safe, this sounds bad I would go with Murray as he didn’t look bad playing with team Canada and the NHL players this year.

If Galchenyuk is available I think we have to roll the dice. I have a gut feeling he is better option than Forsberg and we are hurting in forward prospects.

Habs will pick a forward for sure though

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• krob1000 says:

I think Murray is the Oilers man…..would not be surprised at all to see a team like Montreal, Toronto, Columbus or the Isles give up a mid range porspect and their first pick to move up…the oilers need a franchise dman….this is the year that there are several available..to not get one this year would be a huge risk. They will leave the draft with either Murray or Reinhart IMO…..how the rest plays out is anyone’s guess but that Oilers pick is up for grabs or they are taking Murray….which as shocking as it sounds shouldn;’ really be all that shocking given the injuries to many of the other highly touted prospects and Edm’s organizational need. Murray is the top dman in a very d heavy draft….that says quite a bit. The interesting thing is what CLB does….would they possibly pass on Yakupov? would they trade down ….I am not expecting the Yakupov, Murray and Galchenyuk/Forsberg to be that simple….with Nash on the market, Burke at 5 and the top picks all so close in talent (or int he evalations at this stage anyway)….I can see some action in those top picks going down for sure. I still insist Edm leaves the draft with either Murray or Reinhart.

• Kooch7800 says:

So if the habs trade up to number one…Galchenyuk or Yak?

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• krob1000 says:

Yak….but I don’t see the Habs trading uo ….i am torn on the whole thing..I don’t see how the Habs lose out no matter how thigs play out but with the 3rd pick I am happy with nay sscenario unless they go off the board. I would imagine they would most like Yakupov though given the need for a gamebreaker (I know Galchenyuk Grigorenko, Forsberg, teuvainen all have that ability too at this point but I think they would go Yakupov…but I think they leave the draft with Galchenyuk myself….there is now orng pick among that top group and Iam only looking at the organziational needs…and any elite forward addresses that..but that being said you can never have enough great dmen…it is a win/win unless they go off the board.

• New says:

Lets imagine that Edmonton takes Murray and Columbus trades down with TO.

• jon514 says:

Maybe see if we can trade down? I wonder if washington would both their picks for ours and a second rounder. 11th and 16th overall for 3rd and 51st? Maybe use the 11th to draft whomever is left between Grigs and Faksa? If no trade draft Forsberg.

• christophor says:

Trade down 3-5 picks if an offer is available, then draft whoever is left of Grigorenko and Teravainen. If both are still up, Grigorenko.

If no offer is available, then draft Grigorenko at #3.

• petefleet says:

I haven’t read anything on Gregs that would make me want to spend a 3rd pick on him. If it was between the two you mention, I’d go with Forsberg only because that is the present need, a forward. Murray would be able to step right in but we have D in the sytem now.
      If Galchenyuk is there at #3, take him.

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

24. HabFanSince72 says:

OK, but how about the awards that our good Canadian boys have a shot at?

The Craig Ludwig Award for shot blocking.

The Dave Semenko Award for best enforcer.

The Kris Draper Award for best grinder.

The Scott Stevens Award for best concusser.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

25. Kooch7800 says:

Question

Who do you think will be more effective in a few years (say 5) Leblanc or Eller. Both have shown signs of potential and Eller obviously has more experience

I really like what I have seen from LL ‘s game when he has been up. hopefully they keep him in Hamilton where he can develop this season instead of rushing him into the NHL.

• pottymonster says:

I think they both have about the same potential. I could see them playing on the second line together in a couple of years.

• shiram says:

Louis really needs alot of TOI, playing under 10 minutes a game in MTL is not gonna help him much. He’s had a taste of what the NHL is like, keep him in Hamilton and give him tons of TOI and duties for now.
      I think Eller will be the better of the two, but not by a ton.

• Ali says:

LL needs to bulk up quite a bit without sacrificing speed. If he can get to 200lbs he’ll be a second or third line winger who’s good in both zones. I don’t think he has high end offensive talent, but should be a solid 20 goal forward.

For a minute I thought you meant our resident poster L Elle would need to bulk up. I suspect you would have received a different response from her! ;-)

I think Eller ends up being the more effective player. Leblanc’s strenght seems to be his overall puck sense and being a smart player, whereas Eller I believe has more natural talent. Hopefully as you say Louis gets to develop at a fair pace and we end up with a nice smart player who can be very effective on third line and on occasion help out on 2nd line.

• petefleet says:

That is almost immeasurable. They will both be impactful for different reasons. I forsee Eller being like a Pleks, well rounded and useful in all situations. I see LL being a top six playmaker who is strong on the puck but not that physical. I think both will be good in totally different areas of the game.

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

26. shiram says:

STM offers a free sauna with each subway ride. Offer might not last…

27. kempie says:

Player usage charts. I found it pretty interesting. It breaks down how each player is used and how they fared in that situation. Poor Ryan White. Lucky Gomez.

I think there’s a typo on the Habs’ chart, because I don’t remember Ponikarovsky playing a lot of games for us last year. I think they meant St. Denis. I confuse those two all the time :)

28. krob1000 says:

lol this guy was traded for Ken Dryden…just found out in the age of the itnernet..hew as drafted by montreal and always thoguht Boston had drafted him….and apparently Dryden always thought Montreal had drafte him but in fact it was Sam Pollock’s first trade….

29. Ozmodiar says:

These guys think the Norris trophy should go to the d-man who excels in all facets of the game:
    Tom, Ed, JMSheehy, Phil C

These guys think Karlsson is deserving of the trophy and the results speak for themselves.
    Kooch, Commandant, Chris

Now it’s time for the vote:
    Karlsson: Kooch, Commandant, Chris
    Weber: Tom, Ed
    Chara: JMSheehy, Phil C
    MAB: Timo

Who wins??

Ya see what just happened there?

30. jon514 says:

If the leafs draft Grigorenko, we will be talking about this draft for years to come.

31. Hi folks, I may be off, but I’ve always been of the opinion that a team ought to sign the best free agents it can — whether it has needs at their positions or not — and then trade the surplus. For example, I get that we’ve got Cole and Gionta slotted into the top 2 RW slots, and they fill those spots very well. And I understand that the 3rd line RW spot is probably the best fit for Leblanc with Eller in the centre spot there.

But if we can sign a RW like Parenteau or even Jagr, say, why not deal Gionta and reap a 1st and a prospect, say?

• Chris says:

Mainly because I don’t see many teams parting with a 1st round pick for a player like Gionta. He’s a good guy, but he hasn’t eclipsed 46 points in 3 seasons, and is coming off a season where he had 15 points in 31 games before suffering a season-ending injury. He’s also got a bit of a cap-killing contract, $5M cap hit per season, for the next two years. I just can’t see too many teams lining up to take him unless we’re closer to the deadline.

If we think Parenteau is better, why wouldn’t those teams just sign Parenteau? I’m sure he could be had for less than $5 M per year.

• steve17 says:

Then why do most people think we should keep Gionta? use your answer to justify another team trading for him!

Habfan17

• Chris says:

I think you keep Gionta because he is a leader on the team and I am tired of seeing the team disrupt chemistry by trading team captains. And you keep him because you own his rights…he remains a good player, despite the cap hit and injuries. As a second line winger, Gionta is a decent option while we continue to add depth. Right now, there really isn’t anybody knocking on the door to take his spot, so I don’t see a rush to deal him.

The reality is that he is on a contract that is not particularly attractive, and coming off a major injury makes him almost immovable right now. But at the deadline, he could very well have proven that he is 100% back and would be a very valuable veteran addition for a Stanley Cup contender.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If there’s a team whose chemistry needs a but of a shake up it’s the 2011-2012 Canadiens.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

Sure, but that doesn’t mean you have to throw out every player. That was the mistake of the 2008-09 shake-up that led to the mess that was this past season. You can’t gut your leadership (Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Tanguay, Komisarek, Higgins) and then wonder where all the leadership on the team is a couple years later.

I think there were problems on last season’s team, but I have trouble picturing that Brian Gionta was one of them. I’ve never been a terribly big fan of him as a player (although I did think he was the best option at RW in the summer of 2009 when he was signed), but he has always been portrayed as a respected and classy hockey player, both within the Canadiens organization and around the league.

With Gauthier and the coaching staff gone, a shake up is well under way. I do think there will be some players that aren’t in the future plans (and I sincerely hope that Gomez is one of them), but Gionta gets little blame from me despite being the captain.

• neumann103 says:

Testing. A few minutes ago HIO said I was logged in as Chris, so maybe this will appear as a response to my alter ego’s post.

I agree that time to consider moving a player like Gionta is the deadline next season, when playoff bound teams are looking for the missing piece, and secondary scoring, leadership, Stanley Cup experience are attractive and the 1 more year at $5M is not a big deal.

I don’t think the Gionta deal is a bad deal or anything but why would a team take that deal now vs just trying to sign a FA like Parenteau for less or Parise for more. (fill in your own list of other names who you would consider if $5M for Gionta is the benchmark).

“Et le but!”

• jon514 says:

I think having Gio and Cole on the top 2 lines will provide EXCELLENT leadership to both scoring lines. I would however agree that we should have at least 1 more guy who can pivot between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

• Phil C says:

I suspect that is why so many top end free agents demand a no movement clause.

But your point is valid, the Habs turned Cammalleri into a 2nd rounder and Holland (and Bourque {sigh}). The Habs really gambled (and lost) on Engqvist being ready to play 4th line centre last year. They should have kept someone like Halpern instead and dealt him if Engqvist realized his potential. You can never have too much depth.

The tricky part with your proposal is the salary cap system. If you overpay for UFAs, you don’t have the cap space to keep all of your talent. The only way you can build depth through free agency is to not overpay, which usually means bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. Given that Montreal did not have an NHL-calibre 4th line last season, picking up some bottom six forward UFAs would be a good thing.

32. JohnBellyful says:

NEW YORK – Nine people were sent to hospital today after a brawl erupted among attendees at a conference for advanced hockey stat buffs.
    Witnesses say the dispute involved advocates of two slightly different systems for measuring the true worth of individual hockey players. Fenwick counts the number of shots on goal as well as shots that miss by both teams while a player is on the ice. Corsi does the same but includes blocked shots as well. In both cases, the differential between shots for and against, plus or minus, says a lot about a team’s puck possession while a particular player is on the ice.
    One bemused observer said the two sides got into a heated argument during an analysis of this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs.
    “One clip showed a terrific end-to-end rush capped off by a brilliant tic-tac-toe passing play that forced the goalie to make a fantastic glove save,” the man said. “I expected to hear a big cheer for a great play all around but one group began shouting the shot was going wide and another group yelled the puck was headed for the top part of the net. I didn’t think it made any difference according to their systems but these guys took it serious. They jawed at each other for 15 minutes and it escalated from there, from texting nasty messages to each other to menacing finger waggles all the way up to vicious slaps.”
    A paramedic said no one in either group was seriously hurt.
    The Corsi guys suffered a few cuts and bruises plus some bumps while the Fenwick fellows ended up woozy, minus some teeth. I’d say it was pretty even.”
    One blogger at the event said the fracas was actually started by a splinter group, the Putzes, who are pushing to have icings recognized as another tool for measuring one team’s dominance over another.
    “Their argument is, the team responsible for an icing ‘sets the agenda’ and that the time it takes for the puck to travel the length of the ice and then be touched to get a whistle is a form of puck possession in the sense the other team doesn’t have it and therefore can’t score.”
    An even smaller group was barred from the two-day conference altogether. It says assists are over-rated and have less to do with a game’s outcome than defencemen getting penalized for shooting the puck over the glass.

33. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Had to go back to “older comments”,then log in again.It must be the heat! Uno mas cerveza por favor!

34. JohnBellyful says:

“One clip showed a terrific end-to-end rush capped off by a brilliant tic-tac-toe passing play that forced the goalie to make a fantastic glove save,” the man said. “I expected to hear a bunch of cheers for a great play all around but one group started shouting the shot was going wide and another group yelled the puck was headed for the top part of the net. I didn’t think it made any difference according to their systems but these guys took it serious. They jawed at each other for 15 minutes and it escalated from there, from texting nasty messages to each other to menacing finger waggles all the way up to vicious slaps.”
    A paramedic said no one in either group was seriously hurt.

35. Phil C says:

Its tough to argue between Karlsson and Weber because Karlsson was much better offensively (more assists, more 5 on 5 goals for, more take aways, same number of goals), but Weber was much better defensively ( less goals allowed, less give aways, more hits, more blocked shots). If you look at total goals for and against, Karlsson was on the ice for 135 goals (39 PP) and 85 against (5 PK), for net differential of 50. Weber was on for 123 goals (47 PP), and 67 against (12 PK) for a net differential of 56.

Personally I would give the edge to Weber because he played more minutes, killed more penalties (thus harder minutes), and had a better net differential for goals for and against including special teams.

• Kooch7800 says:

Big difference in goalies though there my friend as well….

You can’t take away what Karlsson did offensively and with take aways. That first pass out of the zone is so crucial in getting the puck out quickly. Look at Lidstrom and how well he got the puck out quickly. He was an art form.

Watch habs clips from last year and how they couldn’t do it….it was ugly

36. arcosenate says:

Tough speech to give, Max should have said I owe it all to that dirty b#*!#*d Chara without whom I wouldn’t be here tonight.

That being said, I am looking forward to max scoring 45 goals this year.

And I am also looking forward to tomorrow, now that the off ice moves have been completed, and I am happy with them. I will give Therrien the benefit of the doubt.

But tomorrow we start to see what the new guys want to do with the team, and the on ice moves begin, it’s actually exciting and hopefully the last fresh start for a few years…

So what number will Grigorenko end up getting drafted at? I am starting to think he falls to 8th or 9th. Can’t see him going lower than that.

• Phil C says:

I agree, if he was assessed on talent level alone, he should go in the top five. I guess teams have to get a feel for how tempting the KHL will be to him or how committed he is to the NHL. One thing in his favour is that he has the size to play in the NHL right away, so at least a team can pay him NHL money instead of AHL money.

But then again, Fowler fell to 12th and Beaulieu to 17th so who knows. I still can’t believe New York took Dylan McIlrath ahead of Fowler.

• New says:

We’ll see. Parise was ranked 9th NA and went about 17th. Parise was a much better player at 18 than Grigorenko is. Latendresse is a good comparison to Grigorenko. If he is around in the second round the Canadiens could take a chance on him.

38. jon514 says:

Patches needs to keep it going. In him we might have discovered our very own Jerome Iginla… I know it’s early to make such comparisons, I only hope he validates them.

39. Ozmodiar says:

Congrats Max!

Eff you, pancake boy!!
    =================================
    Dustin Penner ‏@Dustinpenner25

Hey who won Bill M. Award? Was it the guy w/2 back surgeries,blood clot&infection,missed 1 yr,2 sets of iv for 3mo at a time,traded,allstar?
    =================================

• TomNickle says:

If Joffrey Lupul doesn’t like medical complications he shouldn’t treat his body like an amusement park.

• Chris says:

Two back surgeries, and a resulting blood infection…not sure that it would have much mattered if he treated his body like a temple or not.

I have two herniated discs in my back and I can assure you that I live a pretty clean life. Given the other back woes in my family (one brother has scoliosis, another brother and my sister both have minor cases of spina bifida while my mother had a major case of spina bifida that led doctors to tell her parents she would never walk), I feel pretty lucky but can probably guess that some of it is genetic.

40. Chris says:

On Karlsson’s defence:

It is often said, whether in politics, board games or sports, that the best defence is a good offence.

By that definition, Erik Karlsson was full value for the Norris Trophy. You can’t score if you don’t have the puck. When Karlsson’s on the ice, you often don’t have the puck because he does. :)

• TomNickle says:

But having the puck on your stick doesn’t demonstrate an ability to be elite defensively. But as I said below, he did lead NHL defensemen in takeaways.

• krob1000 says:

That was a combination of his stick, skating and anticipation (and you do have a point about that stat being subjective and differing from arena to arena)….Karlsson is a hockey genius though…he controls the game and I fear it every single time he touches the puck when the Habs play them…he is one of those rare guys who just gets it. Many of those guys that are that smart don’t have the skill sets he does….with his hands, skating, smarts …he will only improve. I think the Sens have struck gold and may have a cross betweena Niedermayer and a Lidstrom which should mean about 10-15 all star games and a chance to control the play for 25 minutes of every game

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Individual accomplishments notwithstanding, Ottawa was not that successful this year, were they?

• Chris says:

Was Nashville any more successful? :)

• joshbenn says:

Nashville at least got past the first round beating the Detroit Red Wings who are one of the most successful franchises making the playoffs for 20+ years.

• Chris says:

And the Senators lost to the Rangers in 7 games, a team that was the second best team in the regular season.

Nashville came into the season as a potential contender, and certainly entered the playoffs as a legitimate contender. Ottawa came into the season expected to contend for the first overall pick and were a bit of a surprise to even make the playoffs, let alone take the top seed 7 games. I see both teams as having had comparable success, with Nashville’s season being a bit stronger partially due to more depth.

41. steve17 says:

I am very happy for Pacioretty, they were all deserving, but for turning this into such a positive is commendable and his desire to keep getiing better is awesome.

Now I can’t wait to see what teams do leading up to the draft, not just the Habs. With all this nonsense about Grigorenko, I wonder if it would be better to take him over Galchenyuk and Forsberg? Maybe this is misniformation generated by the Leafs so they can get him at 5th. Not sure if it would work since each team has probably run exhaustive research into each of the top prospects.

It will be fun to see what the team looks like come July 2nd. By then I would hope that the last assistant coach will be in place and any key UFA loses and signings will be done.

I hope the NHL and NHLPA get things done quickly and put in a one time amnesty clause, or maybe one that repeats every 3rd season. Either way, I would hate to have the Habs buy out Gomez and have to keep paying him. If they don’t get the amnesty, I hope they send him by bus to Hamilton.

I think it is time to let Darche go, but I would love to see them use him as a playing coach in Hamilton. He is the perfect example of perseverence and dedication.

Habfan17

Just as an FYI here is the definition/criteria for winning the Norris Trophy.

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League’s top “defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position”.[1] The James Norris Memorial Trophy has been awarded 55 times to 23 different players since its beginnings in 1954. At the end of each season, members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association vote to determine the player who was the best defenseman during the regular season.

43. TomNickle says:

Regarding Erik Karlsson.

His point total is fantastic, but if the argument truly is that offense can mitigate a lack of defensive prowess when discussing a position that by definition implies a defense first priority, why didn’t Mike Green win a Norris?

Karlsson isn’t physically imposing, he isn’t excellent in coverage, he isn’t excellent away from the puck. Weber and even Chara are elite in these categories and don’t sacrifice enough offense that their play should evaluated as lesser quality than Karlsson’s. This is like evaluating a Selke candidate, determining that he scored 80 points so he couldn’t have been bad defensively if he was scoring so much.

Here’s my issue with his Norris victory ahead of Weber. Karlsson had 76 or 78 takeaways. That’s great, but I’m very concerned that voters looked at that statistic and decided that it shows a good enough defensive ability to give him the trophy.

It’s also worth noting that a member here(I forget who) had first hand knowledge of the Senators’ statisticians and remarked that they are terribly generous to the home team and overly blind evaluating the road team.

None of this is meant to take away from Karlsson’s season. He was excellent and is among the best young defensemen in the league. But the Norris trophy is awarded to the best defenseman. He isn’t elite in coverage, shot blocking or checking.

Weber is and his for quite some time been the best defenseman in the NHL. He and his coach Barry Trotz continue to get snubbed at the NHL awards ceremony.

• Phil C says:

Playing in a market like Nashville hurts Weber. Put him in New York, Toronto, or Montreal and he wins more often.

At the end of the day, I find every major pro sport has flaws in their year end awards. Seems to me the offensive statistics always outweigh overall play. It happens in most leagues, heck the best example of this is the gold glove award in baseball. How often do we see the best offensive 2nd baseman win the gold glove regardless of how his defence compares to that of others. Yet the name gold glove should infer this to be an award for the best defensive player at that position.

I used to get riled up at these awards, and now just tend to slough it off to lazy voters who simply look at offensive stats and file their vote.

• krob1000 says:

Erik Kalrsonn and Mike Green are not anywhere near the same defensively…..karlsson is far smarter, far better positionally and even in the offensive department ..Karlsson creamed the competition and got his points with a far less talented crowd then Green who had all day on the pp becuase Ovechkin (in his 60 goal form) and Semin (in his 40 goal form) were bigger threats on the pp…..the Caps were an offensive juggernaut and everyone had points. Karlsson is far more calculated with his decision making than Green who makes head scratching decisions…that whole Washington team is a me first team and a shame…nothing Karlsson does is me first…..he appears to be programmed like a Markov or Lidstrom but with better skating ability……I knwo saying Lidstrom will cuase some grief but lets give him a chance to continue developing defensively…as we all know that Lidstrom didn;t shine right away either in the d zone. I think karlsson’s stick and anticiaption are as in fact elite….I also think his ability to skate cannot be overlooked, he does not need to concede space or back off, sure he doesn’t punsih physically but he forces the play…which if you have competent teammates is just as good.

• Chris says:

I think Mike Green was hurt by the fact that he played for a run-and-gun offensive team in the Washington Capitals, buoyed by the offensive exploits of Backstrom, Ovechkin and Semin.

In 2008-09, he posted 73 points (31 goals) and a +24 rating, 9 points up on the second place Andrei Markov (12 goals and 64 points). But Green’s point total was only fourth on his team behind Ovechkin (110), Backstrom (88) and Semin (79).

In 2009-10, Green posted 19 goals and 76 points and a +39 rating, but he was still only fourth on his team behind Ovechkin (109), Backstrom (101), and Semin (84). The second best defender that season was Duncan Keith, who finished with 14 goals and 69 points.

That is the big difference between Karlson’s 70+ point season and those of Green. When Green did it, there were 5 and 7 defencemen with more than 55 points.

This season, Karlsson’s 78 points was the only total to eclipse 53 points, and he also vied for the team lead in scoring with Jason Spezza (84 points).

As for the Ottawa statisticians, that might apply to the real-time stats (shot blocks, hits, giveaways, takeaways), but they watch video replays of every goal and watch very carefully for who touched the puck. This is why you frequently hear scoring being adjusted throughout the game.

I don’t for one second believe that his point total is suspect, although his league leading takeaway total might be. Ottawa’s takeaway total on home ice (397) was far higher than it was on the road (245). But for that matter, the same thing applies to Nashville (396 at home, 246 on the road) so Weber benefited equally from kind scoring.

To the Rockers here on HI/O, Rob Zombie is going to be making a film about the 70′s Broad Street Bullies.

45. JohnBellyful says:

Stupid system

Okay this site is still wonky this morning. If I go to older comments I have to log in again, but when back to newer comments on the thread it shows me as logged in. Must have been the twitter war between Commandant and Berkshire.

47. habsfan0 says:

If there was an award presented last night for “Best Skater in NHL” Hal Gill would have won it hands down.

So let me get this straight, HIO’s self exiled authority on all things insignificant in hockey thinks that assists are not part of production yet argues that the number of shots aimed at the net is a significant indicator of potential production.

Would anybody argue that Zlobin scored his Memorial Cup winning goal all on his own or assume that Bournival’s contribution was insignificant?

Buddy just continues to shoot the very foot that is stuck in his mouth.

• krob1000 says:

Peter Forsberg never scored more than 30 goals in the NHL, Michael Ryder did….3 times. Don’t get me wrong I like Ryder still and wish we had kept him and think he was treated ridiculously but I think it sums up the assist argument….not to mention the assists not counting logic doesn’t float in the case of Karlsson who is a threat literally every single time he touches the puck. If you removed Karlsson from alst years Sens I would bet they are a lottery team…he was that vital to everything they did …from exiting their end, to anchoring the PP…..he was just dominant. I have not seen a guy other than Lidstrom get pucks through and with better offensive insitncts and the ability to utilize hesitation, chaotic traffic, and just simply appear to be playing at a diferent level with the puck on the blueline…..most NHL dmen panic under pressure…..Karlsson forces the defenders to panic…many times without so much as moving 5 feet…his subtle faking abilities are incredible and when he does find a seam to put the puck through..he hits that seam…nearly every time….the kid will be holding that trophy again in the very near future.

• Phil C says:

His skating is amazing as well, there is none better in the league at creating separation from his opponent in his first few strides.

I once saw him take the puck in the neutral zone skating backwards with a player forechecking hard towards him. He just kept crossing over backwards and went around the forecheck BACKWARDS, transferred to forward skating and left the guy 10 feet behind him. I think he is the best skater in the league.

• Talik Sanis says:

I do not believe that is an accurate representation of his argument, which has at its core the simple belief that assist totals are worth less than goals as the latter are more difficult to produce when both are considered in terms of “luck.” Far be it for me to misrepresent him, and I apologize if I have done so, but this seems to be the issue at hand, and very little more.

Had the simple suggestion that goals are worth more than assists (and that some assists (not all) are “worthless” because they did not result from an attempted offensive play) been made by anyone else here, I don’t think that posters would be so incensed or have found the need to ridicule him to the degree that we have. It’s simply that when confronted with a man who appears thin-skinned, becoming aggressive and condescending over even small disagreements, we (or at least I) often tend to reject out of hand any and all ideas they present, even the ones with some merit.

Of course, we may well disagree with the conclusion that he drew from those ideas, and debate the ideas themselves, and not be unjustified in doing so.

49. ed lopaz says:

Best Defenceman: Shea Weber

Best “Offensive” defenceman: Eric karllson

Just as Patrice Bergeron won for best defensive forward, Eric Karllson should win for best offensive d-man.

Its not that complicated.

The NHL needs to add an award for Best Offensive Defenseman.

Shea Weber is the best all around defenceman in the league, for my money, and without a doubt.

But karllson’s offensive contribution should have its own award

I understand your point Ed, but Karlsson had a great year, even if indeed you and I would choose Weber over him for our team, this past season Karlsson’s accomplishments were greater.

• ed lopaz says:

Karlson is still learning the game, his defensive zone coverage is NOT great, and neither is his ability to cover the man in front of the net.

He is not strong enough to dominate the boards or the front of the net.

His positioning will “eventually” make him or break him, but he is not a defensive guru at age 22.

Sorry. I disagree.

Karllson deserves his OWN award.

Patrice Bergeron was the best Defensive forward,

and by a long way,

Eric Karllson was the best Offensive defenceman.

I would not have voted for him.

Ray Bourque was always and will always be a better DEFENCEMAN than Paul Coffey in my books.

Ed, I don’t disagree with what you are saying, and I wouldn’t be against having two seperate Dman awards (one to the best overall, and one to the best offensive) but that won’t happen (which you already know). However, I have always viewed the Norris as an individual award which goes to the top scoring Dman unless the point totals are similar and then the award goes to best overall player. It is flawed, however, just because Karlsson plays a completely different style of defence this should not prevent him from winning the award when his statistical numbers are so much superior to those he is being compared to.

As I stated earlier, I would take Shea Weber hands down over Karlsson if I were choosing a dman for our team. Heck, i still think PK will develop into a better overall dman that Karlsson. But I can’t take away from what was an incredible statistical year for him.

Nice discussion my friend, always respect your opinion.

• Chris says:

What I would like to see is a couple of new awards: Best offensive defenceman (Bobby Orr Trophy) and the Best Defensive Defenceman (Doug Harvey Trophy). The Norris Trophy could be rebranded as the most valuable defenceman to maintain its historical significance. Otherwise you run into issues like Jacques Plante holding the most Vezina Trophies, but at the time he won them they were actually the equivalent of the Jennings Trophy today.

The forwards already have the Selke Trophy (Best defensive forward), the Art Ross (Highest scorer), the Maurice Richard Trophy (most goals) and generally monopolize the Hart Trophy (most valuable player) because it is somewhat difficult to evaluate the relative value of a forward versus a defenceman. That’s the only explanation I can come up with for the fact that Nicklas Lidstrom was never even a finalist for the Hart Trophy in his career.

Creating new trophies isn’t really that hard. If a team wants to create a trophy and donate it to the league, as Montreal did with the Maurice Richard Trophy, they will be happy to take it.

I have little doubt in my mind that the Boston Bruins would be welcomed in any attempt to donate a Bobby Orr Trophy, as would the Habs with a Doug Harvey Trophy.

I wholeheartedly agree Chris, and the two names you mention for each award sounds correct as well.

• krob1000 says:

lol…I was just saying this to my neighbour last night in the yard…..the Forwards have the Selke. I wouldn’t mind seeing special team awards either

• Chris says:

krob: We already know that great minds think alike… ;)

• HardHabits says:

I was thinking the same thing on the bus while on my way to work this morning; Best Offensive Defenseman = Bobby Orr Trophy. ;-)

• commandant says:

Karlsson was 25 pts better than Weber and on for something like 35 more goals for, for his team.

Is Weber’s defensive contribution to his team, to be on the ice for 35 less goals against than Karlsson?

Karlsson may not be as good as Weber but he’s above average defensively…. and he was so Dominant offensively, that I can’d see how anyone beats him in a comparison of “all around”.

Gretzky wasn’t great at defense but was there a better “all around” player? I don’t think so, because his offense was so dominant against what everyone else brought to the table, that it didn’t matter. You couldn’t make it up in other areas.

Not saying Karlsson is as good as Gretzky obviously, but when you look at a guy who outscored his next close peer, by almost 50% of their total points, its the kind of offensive disparity not seen since Gretzky and Lemieux’s best seasons.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• jmsheehy19 says:

But even with the extra points, Weber still had a better plus minus. So his team was better with him on the ice than the Senators were with Karlsson.

I would agree with you that the offensive disparity could make up for the defensive game, but the problem is I don’t even see Karlsson as above average defensively, just average.

I think the award for best defensemen should go to the play that best dominated at both ends of the ice, and to me that was hands down Weber this year.

But all in all, I don’t really care about awards, so whatever.

• ed lopaz says:

More on Karllson:

when a player is still learning the game, and clearly Karllson is still learning how to defend in his own zone without ever being physical,

he should not be winning awards as the best in his position.

defence is first and foremost: How effectively do you defend?

I watched Karllson quite carefully this year, as many did, and on many nights he ended shifts,

shaking his head that he was unable to play the defence he knows he is still learning how to play.

this may not have resulted in goals scored against.

Ottawa had excellent goaltending this year, and after 45 seconds of running around in their zone, their goalie would often make the saves they needed.

The defence, with Karllson on the ice, was unable to physically dominate and retrieve the puck; a clear weakness in his game.

the young man is the most talented offensive defenceman I have seen in many years, maybe since Paul Coffey.

But Ray Bourque, as I said below, was always a better defenceman than Paul Coffey.

And today, maybe not in the future, but today, Weber is a way better DEFENCEMAN than Karllson.

• commandant says:

Nashville’s goaltending is better than Ottawa’s, so I have a hard time buying that the reason he wasn’t on for more goals against is the goaltending behind him.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• krob1000 says:

There is no better defense than having the puck…or keeping the puck in the other end. Weber is a beast and no disrespect to him…as they are diff”t styles but Karlsson offense is definitely a part of his defense…he aids in the clearing of the zone,. he forces forechecks to retreat, he evades the first guy with regularity and very few NHL teams consistently forecheck with 2 guys anymore. His skating is always a threat and when a defender can contribute more poitns than the majority of the leagues teams best forwards…..then that is saying something…..if you can generate that type of offense from the back end is it not as valuable? karlsson is tnot hte defensive slouch you suggest either…he rarely gets beat via skating, sure he isn’t the most punsihing but his stick is definitely way above average. His intelligence and anticipation are elite. Weber vs Karlsson is like Teemu versus Shanahan….you can;t lose with either and both are incredible at what they do but just because Shanny could fight and hit….doesn’t mean in their primes I necessarily take Shanny……depends on the make up of the rest of the team,etc,etc….Karlsson and Weber are diff’t guys and while Weber may add toughenss that Karlson doesn’t Karlsson’s offensive numbers were too far gone to tilt thing in Weber’s favour…for THIS season…next year is another year.

• ABHabsfan says:

Karlsson is signed long-term and Weber is RFA, therefore Karlsson wins the Norris. Just throwing a little conspiracy-theory in there

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• ABHabsfan says:

Karlsson winning the Norris will help with contract talks between Habs and PK, I believe. Earlier this week, Pk’s agent could have been saying that PK should get a similar contract to Karlsson, now management has the rebuttal ” well he’s a Norris trophy winner, so you get half” Don’t get me wrong, I want PK signed as easily as possible, but paying moire than $4M per I think would be too much

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Kooch7800 says:

I do understand your point as technically they both have very different strengths and going for the same award.

IMO though Karlsson was more valuable and key to Ottawa winning last year than Shea Weber was to the Nashville Predators. With him being great on the first pass and getting out on the zone effectively you are helping eliminate chances in your own end. They also can’t score goals on you when you play more in there end.

Your point is still valid but I think people underestimate what a good puck mover does for a team. Look at mike green with the caps. He is not a great defensive D man but when he is in the line up there percentage of winning is greatly increased. I can’t remember the exact stat but it was pretty staggering.

50. JohnBellyful says:

Testing, testing: Am I you?

Turns out I’m not

51. rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

Carolina might want to think twice before they trade Justin Faulk in any big ticket package trade.

53. secretdragonfly says:

The Gazette may want to make a small change to the headline on their web page about Pacioretty’s win – “for his remarkable comeback from a serious back injury”. Really? Not to denigrate Alfredsson and Lupul’s travails but calling Max’s experience a back injury is a bit of an understatement, no? I don’t know, maybe it’s the flashbacks I get every time I think about it but at the very least, “near career-ending neck injury” would be more appropriate, IMO. That’s my rant for the day.

Is it time to change the poll question today? Maybe ask which player the Habs should select with their 3rd overall pick.

• I look at the scouting reports and still have no idea who they should pick. From what TSN writes I like Alex Galchenyuk, but I have never seen the kid play and so much could change in a very short time. I use Brandon Wheat Kings’ Mark Stone as an example. When he first came to the team he looked like an average first year junior player. Then boom, crazy numbers and playing for Team Canada, The Wheat Kings and the Sens all in one season.

My choice today Alex Galchenyuk.

In four years we’ll hear about how we didn’t pick so an so, who was passed over by 28 other teams twice lol.

Now back to summer, I had a hockey itch, I’m done now :lol:

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

JT, the best Hab blogger on the web this side of MB, posts her latest thoughts.

• First off my reply is just that, not a beat down on JT.

Next, I have a brain injury so my thoughts do not come out in natural order of fashion. I am always all over the place to writing. I just like to talk hockey and let er rip.

Michael Cammalleri from my view of the TV was treated perfect. You get what you put into a living. You work hard and you will be rewarded. If you drop the ball and let media know about how bad things are then you will be tossed. Instead of going to the media and crying he should have had a closed door meeting with management and told them the poop. Not fling it at them from a distance. Allan Walsh 101.

She mentions Gill and Spacek. They were with the organization what, both under 3 seasons? What do they need a farewell tour? Yes the buying of their own jersey is pretty sad, but players get traded every day.

Drafting;
      Bottom line, the organization got unlucky (draft) for a very long time. In turn the team is poor. Mind you the staff they had in the mid 90’s was down right horrible. The team could have been set for years with the Patrick Roy trade, but it was completely mishandled. Mario Trembley? Really? Did he even coach before that job? From Patty walking the plank in public, to Rejean’s choice in return. Wow, that was one bad era.

Back on track choo choo. Drafting and trading is always hit and miss. Who knows maybe Montreal goes on a 10 year drafting trading, and FA signing spree where every choice is gold. I’ll never blame management on poor drafts, you just can’t. In the end they get the ax but hardly their fault. They make assessments one every single player and then draft according to needs. Every single team makes the exact same mistakes that the Canadiens make. Only thing is in Montreal hockey is their (The people) identity. It’s as though if the team sucks the fans feel they suck, and in turn drop the hammer, and sound off. Pretty sad when you think about it. Montreal is my favourite city on the planet, so much to offer and yet it all comes back to the blade and the ice, the stick and the puck, and the leather and the goal.

Hockey is a sport. I love it and play it still to this day. I coach it to my kids, and their friends, and I breathe the game like it’s the air I need, but I will never be upset if the Canadiens don’t win the cup. There are 30 teams in this league. If all was right the world, you would win the cup once every thirty years. Our time is coming then we’ll start all over again.

Could be worse, you could have been born in 1968 and a Leaf fan.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Sholi2000.com
      Custom Sports Figures
      hockey@sholi2000.com

Hey Shane, nice to read a post from you. Hope you are doing well bud.

• Everything is great GMan. I’m heading home 30 June with the two little ones. We are stopping off and interviewing sales reps all across Canada and the Northern states, plus a few presentations for a couple organizations who like my work. Had a very exciting end to the hockey season. WE received some NCAA, and WHL customers which led to a Russian deal, and now Swedish project that will blow people’s socks off. No leaks!

Heading to Ian’s around the 5th of July (want to be in Syracuse for July 4th) for our first annual Summit Conference, all the heads of state will be there. Me, the kids, Ian, and the pool etc etc

Seeyas!!!!

They Call Me Shane
          “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
          Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures

Some interesting news on Mikhail Grigorenko. Some scouts are questioning his age (the questions surrounding his age date back many years). Grigorenko’s mother works in Russian Government and the conspiracy theory is that they found a way to doctor his birth certificate.

More and more it looks like the Habs should choose Galchenyuk, Forsberg or Murray.

• commandant says:

There are many things to question about him…. but the age thing feels implausible to me.

Yes, I know its happened in baseball.

But this is a kid who has been “on the radar” of hockey scouts since he was 12 or 13…. so it must have been planned so far in advance it doesn’t seem realistic.

Compare this to a baseball story like Fausto Carmona who was discovered by scouts when he was 20 years old and seemingly came out of nowhere (he was really 23).

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I have to ask, so? Is there a down side to him perhaps being a year or two older? Would he be ineligible? Would the team who picked him be in trouble for it? What’s the downside? Practically wouldn’t it make him more “NHL ready”? Does this speak to his character or add to the avoid all Russian players scenario?

I would guess the downfall as being that he should really stand out as a man amongst boys. That perhaps if indeed he is 1-2 years older his development as such should show even more.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I thought that was already the case. It’s his attitude not his skills that are being questioned.

I suppose, but shouldn’t he also be more mature if older, thus having a better attitude? I don’t know, kind of weird what is happening with this kid. I think if I am MB and am serious about drafting the kid, I may want to have another long sit down with Patrick Roy and ask him some questions.

• commandant says:

85 points as a 17 year old in the QMJHL is fantastic.

85 points as a 20 year old is not. Heck Frederic Roy was on his line, and scored more points, but no NHL team has even signed Roy and they could as he is technically a free agent now.

The age thing if true would make Grigorenko more of a 6th or 7th round pick, because there isn’t the same room for development in his game.

That said, I don’t buy it as true, for the reasons I stated above.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

57. HabFanSince72 says:

Anyone else notice that all the major trophies went to Europeans?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Max did deserve some recognition for his attitude, perseverance and his performance.

But on the total two hour show, I thought it was amateur night from start to finish. Very elementary and bush league awards night show!

• pmaraw says:

oh common Ian, charlie conway, presenting an award, thats gold Ian, gold!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I didn’t see it but given how this league handles refereeing, I’m not surprised.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TommyB says:

Definitely agree with you, Ian. The show was lame from start to finish. Corny jokes and puns that made me almost wish Ron Maclean was there as host. (If you knew how much I detest Ron Maclean’s shtick, you’d know how bad I thought last night’s show was. ) Sure they did “dress” it up some. That helped keep me from snoring a bit. One particulary short dress had my attention. But as far as anything else goes….pffft! Aside from the presentation of the show itself, a huge congratulations to Max Pacioretty for his well-deserved claiming of the Masterton Award.

59. Chris says:

On goals versus assists:

I would challenge those in the advanced statistics community to tell Wayne Gretzky that goals are and should be worth more than assists. At the very least, I would suggest they read some of his biographies to get his take on that.

Hockey is a team game. Just as some assists are meaningless, there are some empty goals (tap-ins, wide open nets, etc.) that are created by a nice assist. There are some plays that are created by a nice breakout, often yielding the much-maligned “second assist”.

Much of basketball, soccer and hockey involves a team passing the ball/puck around while trying to create and subsequently exploit an opening in the defensive coverage. While we tend to give all credit to the person on the end of the play, the play is nonetheless impossible in many cases without the build-up that created the vulnerability.

When Erik Karlsson was on the ice this past season, he was an absolutely dominant player. Teams played much more defensively while he was on the ice because they recognized and feared his ability to initiate a counter-attack. In some respects, the argument between Karlsson and Weber (when it isn’t much more than a battled between the “advanced stats” community and the traditional hockey media) is representative of a broader debate.

Canadian hockey fans tend to appreciate the likes of a Shea Weber or Zdeno Chara because they can score, hit, fight, block shots and play heavy minutes on both the power play and the penalty kill.

European hockey fans tend to appreciate defencemen that are more dynamic. Players like Andrei Markov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Paul Coffey and now Erik Karlsson are in no way less dominant than their peers, they just play the game differently. Instead of big hits, they use superior positioning, speed and anticipation to break up plays and mount rapid counter-attacks. In some respects, these guys are the quarterbacks that allow their teams to counterattack quickly, while guys like Weber or Chara are more brilliant in hockey’s equivalent of a “halfcourt offence”, to borrow a basketball term.

Shea Weber would have been a perfectly deserving winner of the Norris Trophy. He was the best of his style of defenceman this season.

But let’s not diminish the win of Erik Karlsson, who represented the best of his own style of defenceman. Outscoring his nearest competitor in the scoring race (which has ALWAYS been based on goals and assists, not simply goals) by 47% was the largest scoring discrepancy in over 15 years. I don’t have the patience to go back past 1997-98, the last season the NHL keeps full stats for on their website, to find a season where one player beat his next closest competitor by that large a margin but I suspect we’ll be talking about Paul Coffey or Al MacInnis or Brian Leetch in the early 1990′s or late 1980′s, if not further.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Although I agree with what you’re saying, it’s not like Lidstrom and Coffey were under-rated.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

No, they definitely were not.

But I do think their defensive play was a bit (in Lidstrom’s case) to very (in Coffey’s case, although I would never argue that he was an exceptional defender) underrated, just as the defensive game of a guy like Eric Desjardins was often overlooked and many Habs fans don’t appreciate the defensive style of a guy like Andrei Markov today.

Many hockey fans struggle to recognize positional defensive play versus guys who block shots and bang. One is easy to recognize, the other is often more subtle.

• commandant says:

Two things I would add.

1) Its hard for the other team to score when the puck is on Karlsson’s stick. You don’t have to play the game like Hal Gill to be preventing goals while you are on the ice.

2) Its a team game. Whether you got a goal or an assist its goes as a +1 under your team’s logo on the scoreboard. In the context of helping your team win, how can one be more valuable than the other?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Curtoph says:

Lol reading that Assists don’t mean as much as goals made me laugh, because goals just come out of nowhere without the help of anyone, right? Without an assist(or two) the goals wouldn’t even be going in. A goal is much more often produced by more than one person, and a lot of the times, the passing is more spectacular then the goal itself.

• JF says:

Shot blocks and thunderous hits are very visible; you have to watch closely to appreciate good positional play, and if a defenceman is small and not very physical, it’s easy to dismiss him. Fans are anxious to toss away Raphael Diaz, for example, but if you watch him closely you see how many things he does well. Same goes for Frédéric St-Denis.

Interesting read Chris, given the Euro is on currently, I have always wondered why soccer doesn’t play a higher emphasis on assists. Given goal scoring is so much lower in soccer, you would think assists would take on a bigger statistical importance. I know they do track them, but are rarely mentioned. At least not like they do in basketball and hockey.

• Chris says:

If you go to the official Euro site, you will see that assists are listed right there with goals.

But I think they are not mentioned as much as in hockey because the build-up in soccer can be much longer than it is in other sports. One stat you will often see them play up is that passing and passing efficiency, and I’ve long wondered why they don’t keep that statistic in hockey.

In recent years, two of the best players in the world have been Spain’s midfield pair of Xavi and Andrés Iniesta. Neither guy is a huge threat to score goals: Iniesta has 27 goals in 271 career club games and 10 goals in 68 career international matches, while Xavi has 48 goals in 414 career club games and 11 goals in 121 career international matches. Despite that lack of goal-scoring, both guys have rightfully stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the best in the world and were catalysts to Spain’s Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010 victories.

What defines both guys is their ability to surgically dismember the opposition with the precision of their passing. Nobody in the world is better at it than those two in their primes.

• neumann103 says:

Good post as usual Chris.

A couple of personal thoughts.

I always hated the discounting of the second assist. It certainly is true that it can be a guy who happened to touch the puck 10 seconds before a goal play. But really great playmakers have a vision of the ice that is often a step ahead. So the pass they make is not intended to setup the scorer, but to create a space and opportunity for a third person to score. It is more obvious to see and easier to execute in a scenario like the powerplay but you can apply the same logic all round (and the skill required to do it in real time at even strength much more rare). This is actually an area where I expect to see a big increase in output from a player like Lars Eller, who while lacking the through traffic thread the needle passing of Desharnais or the cross-ice dish for the one timer of a Tomas Plekanec, Eller has the size and puck control and vision of the play developing to create these opportunities.

I think there is a valid point in some cases about the consistency of record keeping. While I don’t want to take anything away from an appreciation of Wayne Gretzky as the greatest player of my liftetime, he did get a lot of very generous credit for assists on plays where he did not touch the puck. I don’t know if the on ice officials were homers or just honest fans who got caught up in the history in the making. Today we see a minor contoversy in the stats world where some rinks seem to score a subjective stat like hits much more liberally than others. I don’t discount that even an innocent possibility exists that certain officials attribute assists more liberally. On that topic I notice that the NHL makes in-game corrections to scoring plays much more than they used to. Is the same focus applied to goals as assists? Are league officials (eg in Toronto) watching the replays and phoning in suggestions? eg back in the day if a couple of minutes passed after a goal was announced no one was going to correct it. Today we frequently have changes announced during the next period, presumably based on video review.

I honestly don’t know if my subjective impressions of this score keeping inconsistency is borne out by reality

“Et le but!”

• Chris says:

Every scoring play in the NHL is reviewed by video replay to verify the correct scoring of the play, both in terms of the goal-scorer and the assist.

When possible, this is also true in CHL games. I’ve heard many an announcement at Guelph Storm games advising us that an assist has been changed on an earlier goal, often at the start of a period.

Scoring inconsistencies do exist when it comes to the real-time stats (hits, blocked shots, giveaways and takeaways), especially for giveaways and takeaways. This is more due to different interpretations of what constitutes a giveaway or takeaway. The Habs scorekeepers are ruthless in handing out giveaways, while other scorers do so only under duress as far as I can tell. :)

60. Marc10 says:

Congrats to Max. I hope his next trophy is the Conn Smythe.

PS: suck on that Dr Recchi

61. Marc10 says:

Glad Karlsson won. He was terrific this season. No way Ottawa makes the show without that guy.

It will be interesting to see if he can follow it up or if like Myers, Doughty and PK he takes a dip in form in his second year.

• Chris says:

Well, this will actually be Karlsson’s fourth year coming up, so I wouldn’t worry about a sophomore slump. :)

2009-10: 60 GP, 5 G, 26 PTS, -5
      2010-11: 75 GP, 13 G, 45 PTS, -30
      2011-12: 81 GP, 19 G, 78 PTS, +16

• pmaraw says:

lol why do so many people think he’s a rookie? shouldnt he be going for the calder trophy? I think if you can win the norris in your rookie year you should be able to win the calder also……

• neumann103 says:

This was what I thought was really weird. The rookie thing. Even if you were not aware of his past seasons, surely you would have heard about a potential rookie of the year award if this was his first season.

I don’t watch a lot of Senators games, but I was aware of the kid, and particularly his scary +/- in 2010-2011 although maybe more because I am looking at players like that for hockey pools.

“Et le but!”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Recall that the Sens moved up three spots in the draft to pick him.

The fool who let him slip through his fingers in exchange for a third round pick?

Everyone’s favourite hockey genius David Poile.

Same guy who gave up almost three years’ worth of #1 and #2 draft picks for Fisher, Gill, Kostitsyn and Gaustad.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

To be fair to David Poile, who did absolutely wet the bed this past season with mind-numbing decisions, passing on Erik Karlsson when he already had Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Kevin Klein as potential puck-moving defencemen wasn’t too strange a decision.

Using that draft pick on a goalie (Chet Pickard), on the other hand…well, that was something I can’t defend. :)

• neumann103 says:

I also will cut Poile considerable slack for this years’s trades. He saw the chance to win this year and perhaps more importantly needed to demonstrate to pending FA players like Suter and Weber that the team would do what it takes to win.

Each of Gill, Kostitsyn and Gaustad brings something significant you need for a playoff run and none of them came with a lingering and paralyzing cap hit.

Mortgage the future? Not so much. More like taking a small second mortage to fix up a beauty to increase value.

I mean, I didn’t pick Nashville to win the Cup, but I thought they were in the mix. I certainly didn’t see them losing to The Bettman Desert Dogs.

“Et le but!”

62. EastCoastJoe says:

So according to the Masterton preamble, Alfie returned from near career ending back surgery, Lupul survived 2 back surgeries and a near fatal blood infection and Max “returned from an injury”. Bettman’s fingers are all over that statement.

63. smiler2729 says:

Very proud of Max Pacioretty, not because of the Masterton Trophy, mostly because he came back so much better especially metally from that brutal injury.

Chara sucks.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Mornin Smiler. Couldn’t agree with you more. Through all this Patches kept the high road while Chara and the rest if the boons tarnished the game. Nothing but good things lie ahead for the Habs. Can’t wait until tomorrow.

———————————–

64. JayK-47 says:

Thursday. It’s like that night before that significant holiday we all celebrate annually. That one where we feast, call loved ones to talk and catch up with, drink spirits and reflect on the past year.

Yes, it’s like the night before the NHL Entry Draft.

Wait! It is? Yay!

65. The Dude says:

Just seen the Kings on Kimmel and what a rough bunch of party hounds lol….Me thinks they may take next season off,arggggg for grog!

66. nickster13 says:

Just an observation. Erik Karlsson just got married, is 22. Pacioretty got married last year, was 22. Early marriages, just a thought.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what is a bummer about this Draft, is the fact Da Weeds will also be getting a very good player …unless Brian Burke has suddenly become ‘an idiot’ (and, admittedly, there have been recent signs trending in that direction)
    …I HATE anything ‘good’ happenin’ for Da Weeds …it’s just part of My DNA :)
    …as long as Our selection is ‘better’, I guess, …I will have to (grumpily) live with it :(

_________________________________________________________
    Michel Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Un Canadien errant says:

Better this than he find a boneheaded reason to gift the pick to the Bruins.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 24: Travis Moen
      June 26: Mathieu Darche
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 5: Carey Price
      July 9: P.K. Subban

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have great difficulty finding a ‘lesser Evil’ here Normand :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Leafs<Flyers<Bruins<Nordiques<Evil

———————————————————————–
          June 22: Alex Galchenyuk
          June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
          June 24: Travis Moen
          June 26: Mathieu Darche
          July 1: P.A. Parenteau
          July 3: Shane O'Brien
          July 5: Carey Price
          July 9: P.K. Subban

• jon514 says:

Not having the Seguin has set the laffs back about 2 years in their rebuild. That kid is dynamite.

• steve17 says:

I would rather see the Habs take Kerdiles and Danil Zharkov in 2nd round, unless somhow Brandn Gaunce slips down, then I would like to see them take him at 33. I don’t think that it is realistic to believe that Matheson and Frk will be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I give the nod to Kerdiles over Matteau because he has speed and that is what makes Cole and Patches tough to defend against.

Habfan17

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Post Script: …I logged in as Habitant In Surrey …WHO ??? am I ? :)

68. neumann103 says:

neumann103 here

Just a test post to see who I am logged in as. As soon as I post this I will check and modify my sig accordingly.

If Tom Nickle sig will be: I’m right and you’re wrong. Just wait ’til my upcoming third response to your response to my reply for the rhetorical coup de grace.

If Hard Habits sig will be: Tank tankity tank tank TAAAANNNK!

If The Dude sig will be: Blaaarghhh! Hummffle!”

If Sean Bonjovi sig will be: I am open to trading Tomas Plekanec for a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty… like Andrei Kostitsyn!

“Et le but!”

69. commandant says:

Mitch Moroz of the Edmonton Oil Kings

Bonus Points for his fantastic mustache

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

70. Habilis says:

There’s definitely something wonky going on here. I selected HIO from my menu bar and when I scrolled down to the comments section I was logged in as Boone somehow, complete with mod options.

I logged out immediately and relogged as myself but don’t think I wasn’t tempted ;)

Was out all night! Just found out Max won, that is great! Not sure I have cared this much before about a Masterton winner, very happy and proud of Max.

• Bripro says:

Couldn’t happen to a nicer kid.
      But you missed all the excitement Gerry.
      Zep was Boone for a while, JayK pretended he was Boone by insisting on trading Price, and the busy little server had me logged in as Zep (twice) Hard Habits once and the Commandant once. I feel like the Hulk. The only thing that didn’t change was the green hue of my skin.

And how was your evening?

72. Un Canadien errant says:

“…it’s clear that not every one agrees that Toronto is brimming with bluechip youngsters.

“Gardiner would be the top guy,” a Western Conference scout said. “Two or three years ago, I would have said Luke Schenn. But he has not made that next step.

“For me, Joe Colborne would be the next guy after Gardiner, but to a lesser degree. Nazem Kadri still hasn’t shown he can play with men yet.”

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 26: Mathieu Darche
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

73. JayK-47 says:

I DON’T NO WHYE THEY STILL HAVENT TRADDED PRICE FOR A 3RRD DRAFT PICK, ITS KNOW OR NEVER!!!

EDIT: DA FUQ IS A JAYK47???

74. Sean Bonjovi says:

I’m really HardHabits and I’ve changed my mind about Tanking™. I think we should trade our pick and go for it this year. Also, I think that misuse of the English is perfectly acceptable and nothing to get worked up about

“Kaberle is an elite scoring machine, and an uder-rated defender”
    – HardHabits