Pacioretty “honoured” by six-year extension

maxweb

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

LONDON – Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty says it’s an “honour” to be able to call Montreal his hockey home for the next seven years.

The 23-year-old on Monday signed a six-year, $27-million contract extension reported to be worth $4.5 million per season. His current deal still has one year to run, the extension to begin following the 2012-13 season.

Pacioretty would have been a restricted free agent with arbitration rights at the end of the coming season.

“This is something I wanted to get done,” Pacioretty said from his off-season Connecticut home late Monday night. “I think once the team knew I wanted to get it done, they jumped on the opportunity as well.

“The biggest thing for me is, my career has been maybe plagued by instability and just to be able to call Montreal home for seven years is such an honour. I want to do whatever I can to help this team win and this will help me focus on that for years to come.”

The instability, as Pacioretty calls it, hasn’t exactly been his fault. He suffered a fractured vertebra and a severe concussion in March 2011 when famously slammed into a Bell Centre stanchion by Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara.

Pacioretty rehabbed furiously and returned to start the 2011-12 season in great shape, which led to his enjoying a breakout season, his fourth in the NHL. He led the Canadiens with 65 points, ranked second only to power forward Erik Cole in goals scored with 33 and was ranked third with 32 assists.

Pacioretty played 79 games last season, missing three by suspension, and along the way scored five game-winning goals and had 286 shots on goal, which tied him for 10th in that category in the NHL.

In recognition of his remarkable comeback, Pacioretty won the NHL’s 2011-12 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy this past June, awarded by a Professional Hockey Writers’ Association vote to the player deemed to best demonstrate perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

The Canadiens are likely to hold a teleconference with Pacioretty on Tuesday to discuss his signing, which the club announced on Twitter and on its website late Monday.

“I just got out of the shower tonight and my phone was bombarded,” Pacioretty said, laughing, of the earthquake once the signing was announced. “I don’t know how it went out but I signed it today and I guess the team broke the news. I’m not really sure about that.

“We haven’t done anything (with the media). I have a message from Dom (team media relations manager Dominick Saillant) that I didn’t check.”

He laughed again.

“Maybe I should have checked it before I talked to you. I don’t know what the plan is but we might do (a call) tomorrow.

“It’s always been my mentality that I want to focus on winning hockey games right now. I think when you’re playing for yourself and playing for your contract, you kind of get away from the team mentality. So just being locked up for six years, I feel at home.

“The organization has taken a chance on me and now my job is to prove to them that I can help this team win games and I hope to do that for seven more years.”

Pacioretty continues to train with great gusto, as he always does in the off-season, and expects that when the NHL season begins, whenever that is, he’ll be in the best shape of his life.

“I’m doing a pretty good job of (training), coming back to my normal routine,” he said. “Who knows what’s going to happen with the beginning of the season? But I’m acting as if the season is going to start on time and if not, then I think I’ll be in better shape than ever.

“I’ll expect that, when we do start, I’ll be in the best shape of my life.”

dstubbs@montrealgazette.com
Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs

(Photo: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

1. Andy and the habs says:

Bergevin’s interview with TSN. When asked about Doan and if he visited Montreal “he may have come, but he didn’t tell me”.

2. SmartDog says:

Any word on the cheerleader policy and hotdog price issues in the new CBA?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

3. Just got my Summit tickets in the mail — thanks very much Ian, and looking to forward to seeing you good folks in October!

4. SmartDog says:

Yay! We finally locked up our young homegrown future star! Now our defense is looking good! Wait a minute…. who’s this Pachorwhati guy?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

5. otter649 says:

RIP – Ron Palillo aka Horshack….

6. Bripro says:

MB is live on TSN as I type.
    They’re obviously excited to lock Max and Carey to long-term deals, the door is open for DD.
    As for PK, “the process is ongoing”
    He has no comments on the CBA negotiations.
    For him, “it’s business as usual” and he’s not involved in those negotiations.
    On the Shayne Doan subject, an offer was given, and they’re waiting on him.
    The other UFA’s pool is pretty shallow, and he says very quiet.

EDIT: MB actually said that they’ve inquired with the Doan camp, and are waiting.

Did Shane Doan actually visit Montreal as was speculated?

8. HabFab says:

Apparently the NHLPA has decided to not even respond to the NHL’s proposal. Instead they will present an alternate way for the NHL to be run. This could prove interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: Bettman said that he can see that the NHLPA “alternate view” was not put together overnight and the NHL will study it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Is there any law preventing players from just forming another league?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well, even without a CBA, they are still under contract with their individual teams.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not if there is a lock-out – right?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mr. Biter says:

HabFan,
          These guys need agents to get their contracts so thery’re going to run a hockey league?

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• bleedhabs81 says:

I wouldn’t say they NEED agents. I am sure many could negotiate their own contracts and do just as well.

But why would you spend all that time and effort when you can pay someone to do it for you? Far less hassel and homework required. I bet most of the players don’t clean their own houses either…. but I bet they could if they really had too.

You are right though, running a league is a little bit different than playing hockey.

• HabFanSince72 says:

They’d hire people to run the league.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• JohnBellyful says:

What if the league were to form another league — a discount version?
          NHL Lite.
          None of the players are paid over $500,000 a year. And any team profits over, say, five per cent, is put into pension, capital and player development funds. All audited by a disinterested accounting firm.
          NHL Lite ‘n’ Honest.
          Or AHL II

• nunacanadien says:

Imagine then Montreal would get real NHL hockey players instead of the mish mash of washed up veterans and too skinny rookies who are pushed up way too early to make up for the lazy Gomez/Gionta line and add the other lines to that as well.

• HabFab says:

Where would they play? The owners have the arenas and TV rights.

• Mr. Biter says:

Also logistics. Costs lots of money up front for front office staff, air travel, hotels Arenas (as mentioned above) equiptment etc.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• HabFanSince72 says:

You can hire people to take care of that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFanSince72 says:

They would have to play in other arenas.

The owners have TV rights for the NHL. If certain individuals not under contract at the time want to play hockey and if someone wants to broadcast it, what is to stop them.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

9. Chrisadiens says:

Apparently the NHLPA is submitting their offer as we speak. I’m sure it will be instantly rejected and then Bettman will make another scare tactic statement.

Edit: Bergevin is having a presser at 1:30. Any ideas why? For Max’s extension maybe?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks. Habsfan0 was wondering about that this morning. I think you’re right about the leagues response. Posturing predicted.

———————————–

• Propwash says:

Suddenly I had an image of Bettman stomping his feet, arms crossed, all pouty yelling NO!NO!NO!NO! I wannit MY way!!!!

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

10. coutNY says:

Awsome news for Hab fans on Max Pax. Good realistic deal, player gets a good stable salary, team gets a stable Cap freindly long term power forward.

In other new (Probably old news) but Galchenyuk news is encouraging:

11. commandant says:

Hockey Insiderr’s huge follower count…. only over 66% fake accounts. 12 % inactive accounts.

Only 22% actual real people.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chrisadiens says:

It’s that 22% that has made me lose faith in humanity.

You going to the summit Ben? Would love to buy ya a beer for all your draft work.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• RGM says:

There’s a scary amount of digital ink being spilled here about this fraud. The more he is discussed, the more credibility and legitimacy he is given. He’s a phony, so blackball accordingly.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• HabFab says:

I listened last night to a supposed interview with him. He claimed to be 37, drafted in 1993 and played that year in the NHL. Some claim his initials are A.D. but he wouldn’t confirm…do the goggle. Mind you that player was probably flacky enough for this…unfrigging real!

• Newf_Habster says:

Last night he had a radio interview with incarceratedbob. Incarceratedbob asked him where the 1993 NHL Draft was held and HI paused for about one minute. Here you go!

Also HI claimed that he graduated from Ontario Hockey Academy in 2000 or so. The problem is OHA was founded in 2008!

HI’s reputation is shot.

• New says:

Yeah I checked that out too. On @kyriacou22′s Blog they mention reading his FB page where he reports graduating from Ontario Hockey Academy in 2000, meaning that he was 18 in 2000. and with incarceratedbob saying he was drafted direct into the NHL in 93, I guess at age 11, making him a phenom for sure.

Kind of feel sorry for the kid. He will have to polish his act before going clubbing because the bouncers aren’t buying that line.

• Newf_Habster says:

25,000 of his followers were created with fake accounts in July ONLY.

It is something that we should report this abusive behavior to Twitter.

12. Kfourn says:

My interpretation of Max’s statements and the fact that he approached the team for a contract extension, is that he is worried that another incident like the “hockey play” that the neanderthal inflicted on him is always possible in today’s NHL. He is worried that the league is not doing enough to protect their players, and his career could end at anytime.

While he certainly doesn’t play like he’s scared to get hurt, I’m sure that hit is still in the back of his mind.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• habs-fan-84 says:

you think he approached the team and signed a six year extension because he’s scared of getting hurt….really?

• Kfourn says:

I think he realizes anything can happen and he wants the security of a long term contract. It might have benefited him to play out the next RFA season, but you can’t tell me that that hit is not still on his mind.

_______________________________________________________

• habs-fan-84 says:

I don’t think it’s on his mind; he moved on, so too should the fans.

• Kfourn says:

And that’s you’re interpretation. But you can’t deny the amount of concussions and dirty plays that are in the NHL today are not in the back of most players minds. With Max being a victim of one already, I don’t see why it’s so ridiculous to think that it factored into his decision of approaching the team for a contract extension now rather than later.

_______________________________________________________

• Chrisadiens says:

I’m not sure i will ever move on from that hit. It exposed Colin Campbell for the fraud that he was. It exposed Boston fans for the jerks that they are. It exposed Chara for the goon he is. And it put into question the “Starley Cup Champiars”.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Wow, you got that from his comments? I think you might be projecting your thoughts on to him, and interpreting his words to reflect as such.

• Cal says:

Pac traded $1 mil + per year for stability, which is a rare commodity for a player. No mention of a NTC or a NMC at capgeek yet, so we’ll have to wait and see.
      IMO, he’s not worried about another “hockey play”. It’s a dangerous sport and he will be well paid for it. If he turns into a perennial 30 goal scorer, this will be a helluva bargain. Here’s hoping his contract is the steal of the decade.

• Kfourn says:

Yes this contract is already looking like the steal of the century, but with the amount of concussions, dirty injuries that are in the NHL today, it seems to me he wants that security more than he thinks that his play will decline next season.

_______________________________________________________

• boing007 says:

Go MaxPac!

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I am sure there is some re-assurance knowing you have a salary for the next 6 years even if you get injured, but to say this was the catalyst for him approaching the team is absurd.

13. JohnBellyful says:

TORONTO – The Canadian Press reports that NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will put forward “an alternative view” of how the National Hockey League’s economic system should operate.
    Here are a few of the ideas the union will be presenting:

– players will offer an annual discount on salary, on a sliding scale, the longer the contract term is, starting at Year Three; for example, Player B signs a three-year contract and gives a one per cent discount; signs for 10 years, he gives an 8 per cent discount, 20 years, 18 per cent discount.
    “We’re trying to make long-term contracts more attractive for the owners,” Fehr said. “Look at how much they save if they sign a player for 52 years – 50 per cent!”

– players will not object to wearing uniforms with ads on them, as long as they get a portion of the revenues, and ALL of the money for having business logos tattooed on their faces, or screened on their visors.

– players will be allowed to sell NHL-certified pucks they scored with on eBay.
    “A guy like Gill could make a fortune, given the rarity of the event,” said HockeyInsiderr.

– players will be paid overtime for shifts longer than 45 seconds.
    (They will also be paid overtime for overtime. “It’s an outrage they’ve never been,” Fehr said.)

– owners agree to provide low-interest loans at ticket sales offices for fans wanting to see at least one NHL game in person during their lifetime – or even after. (“Just prop up Uncle Billy in the aisle seat, willya, Mary, this is what he would have wanted.”)

• Cal says:

Hysterical as usual, JB. :D

That Insiderr is looking like more of an outsiderr by the amount of posts mentioning the kid. He’s a Mr. Bean kind of hit, but all the wrong way. ;)

• naweed235 says:

ahahaha JB you sir are good. I started reading this without looking at the poster’s name and read up to the end of the 2nd paragraph thinking this is actually real… needless to say I had a face-palm moment shortly after :)
      Thanks

14. Newf_Habster says:

I am so thrilled that our beloved team has signed Patches for six years!

I realized that the NHLPA did not make a counter proposal before Buttman threatened to lock them out. Wow! He should wait until he sees their counter proposal. Damn him.

• Kooch7800 says:

Bettman is a tool and is trying to through his weight around. I think Fehr makes him nervous and he very well should. Fehr is a great negotiator

• boing007 says:

If they both weren’t so macho about it they might be able to get something done. It looks like a gunslinger duel at the moment. Cue Morricone.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

15. Chrisadiens says:

What a great deal for the team. I almost feel bad for Max. With all the high salaries given out to marginal players lately, Max could’ve gotten much much more. I guess it wasn’t just about money for Max. Shows a lot of character. More importantly, now I can actually buy a jersey with a name on the back without the fear that the player will be gone in the near future. Max is here to stay. Take to the streets and rejoice!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Kooch7800 says:

Remember it was him who approached the team for an extension and not the other way around.

If he waited for next year he would have received a huge pay day but by doing it after only one really great season they are both taking risk but it removes any of that stress of having to worry about a contract. He will only be 30 years old when this contract is over and I am sure he can still make a few more MILLION LOL

• Chrisadiens says:

Good points, but Max has proven (at least to me) that there is no risk. He heals like Wolverine, scores goals and plays his heart out. I love the kid.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am huge fan of his as well and think he will be a steal, it is just the timing. If he struggled next year or had an injury it would hurt his dollars and or term of his deal. To me this is a fair deal on both sides. Could he have got a little more probably but with so much instability in his last couple of years I think this gives him peace of mind to focus on hockey….27 million is still a lot of cash

• SmartDog says:

Max is a true character guy, and I think this is typical of that. The Habs are taking a gamble – long term contracts are risky and even though as the article says his missing time isn’t his fault, sometimes players that have severe injuries seem to have more of the same later. Max’s gamble is that he might be worth more later… but so what? $4.5/year is a good payday and he gets stability which he wants. Why be greedy and gamble on being bounced around? This is a win-win on both sides and a smart move by both Max and the Habs.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Timo says:

Totally… I too feel bad for someone making over 4 mil / year. I say we all chip in and help poor ol’ Max during these harsh next 6 years :)

• LA Loyalist says:

Finally a happy reason to come on this site. Yeah Max! Yeah management. Now take care of PK, bury Gomez and we will have something to look forward to when hockey finally starts.

I would remind you that substantially (say 20 games) shortened season would IMHO open up the opportunity for a team to get on a roll and make good things happen.

And just for the record, re Max Deal, who gives a rat’s tightly puckered sphincter who asked who out? I mean seriously, some of you people need to get a life.

16. Max_a_million says:

Okay, this was a great signing. Makes me feel much better about the summer being proactive, and getting a great player signed long term early!

17. The Dude says:

Finally a Habs get what he deserves based on performance from the year before and not hype….makes you think that if it was the norm there would be plenty of moneys left for BIG SUPERSTARS.

18. Propwash says:

I should be attending the festivities at Hurleys to tip a pint or few with fellow Habs fans.

Really happy Patches signed an extension with the team!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

Gerald!
    I had to give all the good seats to you guys. I had to take a job just to get into the Bell Center.
    I have to sit on the end of the players bench and help out with the bench door! Look what I have to do for all you guys.

Your giving is duly noted good sir! Thanks again for your work, lets hope our season starts and our Summit requires no alterations.

It appears I will owe you more than the usual lump of coal in your stocking this upcoming Christmas.

• Chrisadiens says:

Appreciate all the work you did Ian. Can’t wait to buy ya a pint at Hurley’s.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Summit News!

You should be receiving your tickets in the next couple of days.
    Make sure you check your envelopes properly for your game ticket and hall of fame ticket.

Game ticket, Raffle ticket, Hall of fame ticket.

We exchange your raffle charity gift, that you bring , for a raffle ticket, at the Baton Rouge Children’s Raffle. 3pm. sharp.

More raffle tickets can be obtained there as well. Let’s make this the best fund raiser raffle ever.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

See you there,
    Ian

21. habsfan0 says:

Morning to all!

Does anyone know what time today the NHLPA’s counter-proposal will be unveiled?

Hopefully, a deal gets done sooner rather than later, as these 7-6 and 3-0 NFL scores are getting a bit hard to take.

• punkster says:

Check with hockeyyinsiderr on twitter…he’ll know before anybody.

Though he may be busy presenting it to the league.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chrisadiens says:

My prediction….. 2:12.

If I’m right, I’m buying lotto tickets later….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Kfourn says:

Alright I’ll bite…1:15

_______________________________________________________

22. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos!
    Great to have Patches longterm,way to go Marc!
    Anybody else impressed with that Hudon kid? Man, he looked good out there last night. Could turn into a huge steal for the Habs.

• mark-ID says:

Hudon looked great last night. It was the first game that I got to watch….but the commentators were saying how he has been one of Canada’s best for the 3 games so far. If he has a good start to the season…he should make team Canada

Although he isn’t the biggest player out there….he still plays a physical game, which is great to see.

• Trisomy 21 says:

How many points has he racked up in the 3 games? I have no cable to watch at home :(

• mark-ID says:

I can’t seem to find the stats of the first three games…I know he at least had a goal and an assist in last nights game. Beyond that, he had a lot of great opportunities. Hope he keeps it up.

23. fastfreddy says:

Great signing! Youth core being sewn up. Future should turn out pretty good for Habs.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

Shout Out to Ian Cobb, tooth fairy delivered me my tickets yesterday for Summit and that contagious Summit Smile has hit my face. Won’t make me look any better but it is easier than frowning.

Whodathunk for $76 I could get a seat right behind the Visitors bench also!!!

Okay maybe a little further away. Whites, 308, DD seats 1 and 2. Look forward to seeing all you Insiders out at the game or Hurleys after.

CHeers!

25. JohnBellyful says:

I have it on good authority that today’s response by the players’ association to the league’s provocative, hard-nosed bargaining stance will be, surprisingly, evenhanded: slaps to both sides of Bettman’s face.
    I jest.
    Actually, I’ve been told by an informed source – HockeyInsiderr – that the union will insist team owners engage in self-amusement of a carnal, and I would have to think, highly improbable nature.
    In strongly urging the owners to enjoy themselves the players have clearly seized the high ground and strengthened their hand in negotiations, showing themselves to be more concerned with their employers’ state of happiness than their own financial well-being.
    Such a sacrifice of interest will not go unnoticed in the court of public opinion. IMO.

26. mark-ID says:

This signing is great I think. Nice to see it get done so soon. What’s really interesting is that Patches is being signed before PK.

Can they realistically give one of our best, if not our best Dman….less then Pacioretty?
    Nice to see we are locking up our young guys to six year deals….they can grow together. Pacioretty, Gorges, Price, Plekanec. Good core.

I think a vital difference is that Max was already on his 2nd contract with the Habs, whereas PK is coming off his entry deal. There is a graduated curve with most players contracts and while I believe PK is deserving of a healthy raise and some term, I am sure Meehan views his client as a pre-eminent up and comer who should be treated like a veteran given the role he has played on this team the past few years.

This is a delicate negotiation which requires some good stickhandling by MB. The key for me is that there seems to be no “Negative” rhetoric coming from either camp throughout these negotations. I am sure MB recognizes the importance in signing PK, but he also needs to be a caretaker of this teams future in figuring out what contract to give this young man, who shows great future earning power.

• JohnBellyful says:

Given his new contract, it doesn’t seem right to call him Patches anymore.

• Cal says:

Less than Pacioretty? Yes.
      Be nice to see him locked up for 2 years a la Price before his latest contract. Then, he can get the term and dollars. Still, somewhere around $8 mill total for 2 seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

So I think a week or so ago the Devils were only 20Million away from having enough to settle their lending agreements with banks. They are now only 18Million shy with a deadline of today. I guess street busking just isn’t as profitable as it once was.

Interesting that the Banks probably won’t put the Devils into Bankruptcy but instead will probably provide another extension to Vanderbeek.

Is this not a telltale sign of that franchises value or perhaps moreso a sign of what franchises in the NHL are really worth? The fact the lenders are not confident they can get their money back if they put this team on the market, despite the fact this team has been one of the best managed teams in the league over the past 20 years.

I do realize bankruptcy is never an ideal way for a lender to get its money back, but it does make you wonder how other financial institutions are looking at providing financing for other current and future owners of NHL franchises throughout the league.

• habsnyc says:

The new owners leveraged the heck out of the franchise. I think that moving to Newark, even though the area is incredible, hurt attendence.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• LA Loyalist says:

A lockout will really hurt the already $ challenged teams like Phoenix, New Jersey et al because they will have no cash flow from game receipts, but many hard costs including debt don’t go away.

If the lockout is more than a couple of weeks it could get really ugly in some of those owners’ meetings with Gary :-)

28. Chris says:

I’ve always been curious why anybody would follow any “insiders”. Do we really gain anything in life by knowing five minutes, or even a full day, before the newspapers report a player’s signing.

I know that I don’t. Ah well…to each their own. I’ll just never quite understand the appeal.

• HardHabits says:

We all follow the Hockey Insider Outers.

I think it is a product of the next generation and the need to have information provided immediately. Us “old schoolers” still don’t mind turning the page on a paper and reading what it tells us Chris. ;-)

• Chris says:

What kills me are that 80% of what the insiders tell us never comes true. Conversations are held in the NHL every day, with very few players going through their careers without being discussed.

I don’t need to know about these discussions…it contributes nothing to know who might have been included. More importantly, it can do a lot of damage. Tomas Plekanec freely admitted to being put off about being included in the Lecavalier rumours a few years ago, for example.

Mike Komisarek was a traitor for signing with a rival, but the fans were innocent for discussing trading him and every other player on a weekly basis? That is an awfully unidirectional relationship!

I know that it is a business, but people are gossiping about player’s lives. There is huge upheaval associated with a trade. Families have to decide whether the spouses and kids uproot their lives or whether they stay behind and live without dad for a few months.

Every time I see fans complain about the lack of player loyalty, I need only think about the rampant popularity of gossip sites to see why the players owe the fans absolutely nothing. They are paid very well to be mercenaries, and are treated as such, if not as outright chattel. Why should they factor the fans, who harbour absolutely zero loyalty to them, into any decisions about their financial or playing futures?

I’d love it if all these so-called hockey insiders were canned tomorrow. They contribute nothing positive to the sport of hockey.

• New says:

That is a different area from why do people follow – this is why do people make shit up.

A great way to make a few bucks with a hobby is to sit on your butt and let the info flow to you. Regardless of veracity you take the bits and pieces (cherry pick ideas), spin it around, and build something on their work. (The thing is you fall into your own trap and believe they are working rather than sitting on their butts doing exactly what you do:-)

So if you start out with hype and nothing, follow a few professionals like McKenzie plus buckets of speculators, pretty soon you have something to say. You can hit the twitterverse about the same time as the reporter who dug out the story (or was standing by the fax) and then argue incessently about who was first.

Anyway once you have a few people sucked in you flatter them by offering to post their comments as comments on your new blog and try to get hits and make some money. (You can get the same number of hits by writing Pam Anderson all over the script and pages but that’s a different field. )

It is what it is. The tough part is that decision makers just look at numbers provided by numbers people. They see high numbers and think that’s the way to go. Pretty soon you have guys like McKenzie fighting for their jobs and media that is nothing more than paps snapping pictures hoping for a costume malfunction.
          IMHO

• Chris says:

The scary thing for me is that people like McKenzie really don’t contribute all that much themselves anymore. McKenzie’s schtick of late has been to simply refute the rumour mongers, not actually contribute any meaningful sports journalism of his own.

There are precious few journalists left in hockey, and I’m not sure that you can include many of the folks that work for the television networks. McKenzie had substance once upon a time, but its been a while since I’ve read his articles because I found he became too enamoured with being popular around the league. He’s basically to the NHL what Peter King is to the NFL: a guy that occasionally uncovers a gem, but is largely trite.

There aren’t many left that I follow outside of this website. Scott (S.L.) Price is often one of the best, and I used to love Paul Zimmerman (Dr. Z) at Sports Illustrated before his stroke. Jon Wertheim, the tennis reporter at Sports Illustrated, is also one of my favourites.

It is just amazing to me that we have two full-time sports networks in Sportsnet and TSN plus The Score, which has some CRTC limitations but certainly qualifies as a sports network. Yet the journalistic chops from the television side are almost non-existent. It is really sad.

Newspapers are fading away. We need our television networks to step up and fill the journalistic void that is developing. I understand why they haven’t done so, because investigative journalism is expensive, but I still condemn them for failing to rise above the bare minimum level.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Tangent on your main point, but I agree that Peter King is abysmal. He totally failed in his duty to the readers on the botched job he did covering Ben Roethlisberger before and after the sexual assault scandal. He’s an insider only in that he has lots of access, but he’s the biggest booster of the NFL instead of an objective reporter. I could go on about his self-importance and his propensity for telling us what he had to eat for breakfast, but I don’t want to go on a 20 paragraph rant. Again.

• New says:

I think people like the drama and talking about “what ifs”. But you can’t start anything with “What if” all the time or after a while people ignore you. But if you hang it on “Hey, Hockeyyinslider tweeted that…”.

I think people like hype and excitement. That is why we do things that are otherwise stupid. Some of the folks following insliders will hear junk in their respective areas, pass it on, and it all grows. Eklund is famous for it.

Hudon looked small but smart last night. Glad the Habs didn’t draft Grigorenko, he looked the same as the playoffs last spring. Maybe he is still ill.

• Chris says:

A former housemate of mine was a good pitching prospect that the Jays were looking at in the late rounds in his draft year. Unfortunately for him, he caught mono and it took over a year for him to be symptom free. Even a year later, his spleen was still relatively enlarged. It can take a long time for that to go away.

Not saying that mono is still bugging Grigorenko, just that it absolutely could.

• JUST ME says:

Just do not care about so called insiders even the professionnal ones. The only one that has any credibility in my book is Bob Mckenzie that has obvious friends in high places but still keeps humble and does not try to get the absolute scoop.

Of course today with twitter and facebook any geek can pretend to be a genius and try to get a life with pretending to know things. Problem is those guys get their reputation from people talking about them or their rumors on here and elsewhere. I just do not care nor do i about the how about if we trade for that guy ? kind of discussion 99.9999% of the time it is wasted time and people then criticize real life organizations for not doing things they never considered doing !

29. If there is a 20% salary rollback to resolve the lockout (which many people expect), that means Pacioretty will be earning just $3.6 million for the next 6 years! This could be the best contract the Habs ever signed! Almost makes you feel like they took advantage of Patches!

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• commandant says:

I dont’ think many people expect a 20% rollback.

Some rollback, yes… but not 20%.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nonsense. If there is a 20% rollback on salary, which is a big if, it will be because there will be a 20% rollback on the cap, so the Canadiens won’t be any further ahead. Things got cheaper to buy, but we suddenly had correspondingly less money to spend. Even steven.

30. habsnyc says:

I like when a team shows preference to their own talent, locking them up early for an important chunk of their career. One cannot know how Pacioretty will perform for the rest of his career, but it is much smarter to own a 23 year old 30 goal scorer for six season than to own a 35 year old for four seasons. This is the kind of signing that makes ownership, the player, the team and the fans happy.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan10912 says:

Could not agree with you more. This is an indication of a long term plan and Max is definitely a key part of that. Good signing for sure. Next up, PK.

———————————–

31. Now Stephen Harper is talking about the players going on ‘strike’…LOL!

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

The good news with this signing is that it leaves little wiggle room for Gomez to suck any further in the NHL.

33. aj says:

So, we’re sitting ducks here on what’s going to happen next. If this counter-offer that the NHLPA will make the league satisfied, then we can stop worrying about what’s going to happen next. I’m guaranteed that Buttman and his board of directors will reject the offer and another 4-5 weeks of this will just drag this into another mess.

Maybe its time for fans to get a head’s up: Sept. 15 is a possible lockout.

EDIT: Other than that, I don’t see any of other junior talen from here playing at the Canada-Russia summit series. Where’s Brendan Gallagher and Nathan Beaulieu?

34. Newf_Habster says:

I need to share more information on @hockeyyinsiderr who is already exposed, so you can become better and more aware of this faker.

Half of his 49K followers were created with fake accounts last month.

He is just a 17 years old kid!!! That is why you should not follow and most importantly not trust him.

So I have a bit of theory on how these CBA negotiations are going with regards to the League’s perspective.

Gary Bettman has until Sept. 15th (or perhaps a slightly later date) to get the most he can out of the players to help all the weak sisters in the League. After the 15th or whatever predetermined date, the power brokers of the owners (Ranger, Bruins, Hawks, Wings, Leafs and maybe Habs) put their foot down and tell Gary to get a deal done and that even if it means the current CBA is reused they are okay with it.

Given the new owners of the Leafs (TSN/Sportsnet), the owner of the Flyers (Snider – Comcast/NBC Sports connection), the Rangers with their MSG network, all these teams will be pushing very hard to have games on their networks ASAP into the season.

Seems pretty evident that these big boys of the league are really not interested in having to pay to subsidize their little brothers and sisters. Afterall, they sat out an entire year to get a deal which Gary promised them all would solve the little guys problems. They aren’t going to want to give up their revenues again.

• aj says:

The vital part of the Pacioretty signing as I stated on the last blog is that this came at a sticking point of the CBA talks right now between players and the league.

As I stated before, this signing clearly shows that Sept. 15 is a lockout. Good thing Bergevin signed the kid before he makes up his mind after this upcoming/”threatened” 2012-2013 NHL season.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. I like it. Since the Habs are one of the reported big revenue givers they better have a high influence in this. We know that Jacobs and Bettman are joined at the hip and I don’t find much comfort there.
      Will be an interesting day as the NHLPA presents their counter offer today. More Bettman grandstanding on tap today is my guess.

———————————–

36. JUST ME says:

I really like the way Bergevin is doing things. Am very happy that Max got this well deserved deal.

I cannot help but think that things will get better and better.We basically have the same team we had last year,no major changes but only where it counts,off ice.
    Bergevin is managing ,players just need to play . If everyone sticks to their job things should be o.k.

It sends a strong message in a city where the medias tend to think they have their word to say on how it should be done. Bergevin is setting the example . I do my job, just do yours. As un canadien errant stated in an earlier post clearly now the rumors with generally well informed sources are worth nothing from now on and there is only one captain on this ship.

37. badbalance says:

I think it’s safe to say Subban is going to re-sign, If Subban said he wanted to stay with PG in charge he would have shipped him out already

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…les americains de Montréal !
    …I’m getting real comfortable with this
    …character like Gionta, Patches and Cole is making it easy
    …Gomer ? …well, no One said Life, America, Quebec or les canadiens were ‘perfect’, did They ?
    …Gomer being the Pauline Marois of Our Montreal Canadiens
    …no ! …that’s too harsh on Scot …Marois is in a league of her own :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

39. RobertAlanFord says:

The news out of Bergevin’s office just keeps getting better and better. Its nice to be able to actually say that without a hint of sarcasm for a change.

@RAFord77

• nunacanadien says:

Nice office, heck Bob Gainey had an equally nice cherry colored desk too, but hey it’s what’s on the ice that counts in the end. And let’s see what we can see…..some changes made but really did the habs get bigger and tougher? No. We got Prust who I doubt will fight, look at Laraques. Which tough guy is gonna wanna lay it all on the line or be emotional about fighting for a team that is lacklustre, unable to shoot on the net and which loses games regularly after blowing a first period lead? Nobody. So did Bergevin make a significant change to Montreal? Yes, he brought a very nice looking chair, to add to the equally nice contracted employees who will not talk to a guy like Hal Gil nor even give him the time of day….geeze, didn’t Pierre Gauthier have a similar office too?

At least Hal Gill has a real hockey team to play on with some real hockey executives who actually listen and use the advice….something lacking in Montreal where the board of directors dictate when Bergevin can take a crap and how many sheets of toilet paper he can use…..ok exagerating but really, so what if Doan wants to come to Montreal, it would take a month for the ownership committee to decide whether it wants to give away the farm to keep a real hockeyplayer for once.

40. commandant says:

A look at the New York Rangers, led by playoff sensation Chris Kreider

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

41. pmaraw says:

Owner ‘hi, i’m an owner, here’s what i want to pay you.’
    Player ‘golly gosh mr owner, thanks!’
    Owner ‘now player, you’re gonna have to use that money wisely, to start, you’ll have to pay for your own transportation to each game.’
    Player ‘no problem mr owner.’
    Owner ‘and you’ll have to rent your ice time with the other players, oh and your uniforms, you have to rent those also.’
    Player ‘sure thing mr owner.’
    Owner ‘Oh ya, and you’ll have to pay me as well, oh but don’t worry, we’ll just deduct it all out of your paychecks, any questions?’
    Player ‘so… what do you do again?’

42. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

surprise surprise!!

Wow, what a day on HI/O, new threads galore, PK news and most importantly a proactive re-signing of Max! Good day indeed!

• Un Canadien errant says:

It looks like secretive to the point of malady Pierre Gauthier has nothing on Marc Bergevin. Our GM is open and honest with the media and the public, but also runs a tight ship with no leaks. He got Carey Price and Max signed along with all the lesser lights with no rumours or craziness in the blogs or Twitter.

I’m going to adopt a mindset that if there’s a rumour the Canadiens are up to something, it’s definitely not true, until proven otherwise. In a short summer Mr. Bergevin has shown he’s not going to do his business in the media like other more flamboyant GM’s.

———————————————————————–
      This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

It is intelligent moves like this signing of Max, the hiring of many good coaches and office personel that have me giving MB the benefit of the doubt on the choice of Therrien for the time being.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Aw, why d’you have to bring up Michel Therrien for? I was on a bit of a cloud there for a second.

• nunacanadien says:

Therrien is the indicator that something is still wrong in Montreal. Which superstar is going to feel comfortable with having to learn how to drink a cup of tea with which pinky finger so the boss can be happy? No one. Therrien is a beast, and we have nothing but wimps. At least if we had the Kosty boys they would at least kick Therrien in the nuts like they did to Gainey and Gauthier. These corporate hockey executives deserve all the trouble they get.

44. Un Canadien errant says:

How did HockeyInsipiderr not get tipped off that this was coming? I’m thinking of unfollowing him.

A benefit aside from the obvious ones is that this deal may help set the price for a young budding superstar on the Canadiens and may help along the P.K. negotiations.

EDIT: Oh, and how much is he actually going to make on this deal, once he’s chipped in his share (what was it the owners were asking? 20%? 25?) to keep the Greg Jamison-Gary Bettman Coyotes in business? I was going to do the math, but I sprained my irony.

———————————————————————–

• shootdapuck says:

Normand,

Your “canis latrans” obsession has flared up again!

Why not add the long Island, ohio and Jersey dogs to your list?

Or remember that the City of Glendale has covered losses not the NHL something which does not happen in the other 3 dog franchises.
      =================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

I don’t have the exact numbers handy, but while the City of Glendale helps cover the losses, I am not sure they cover all the losses of that franchise. Perhaps with some playoff dates these past two seasons it was close, but without playoff revenue i am not sure the Glendale cheques cover that entire teams losses.

• shootdapuck says:

According to Profit and Loss posted on the web Phoenix lost 25 million and change which was covered by the city.

Not by the NHL!

=================================================
          The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
          “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
          ” I have a pet peeve”

• Newf_Habster says:

You SHOULD unfollow this kid! I will post all necessary information about him in a minute and you will see why you need to unfollow him.

Not hockey related… but it’s Quebec elections and I found this… and I think it’s funny

46. matt jordan says:

MaxPac will be getting less than Gomez.

• nunacanadien says:

But then MaxPac doesn’t have to do the mexican hat dance for the ownership committee to earn his millions. Fans its what is on the ice that counts, not this worship of the GM and Molson, who have given us nothing but an even now more smaller team. At least Gauthier tried to get a bigger team before he was fired for admitting what everyone knows, “It’s the Montreal Smurfs!” as they are introduced in all the American rinks south south…..

47. ProHabs says:

This has to be a HIO record for new threats in one day. Thanks boys.

48. otter649 says: