Pacioretty takes big step in rehab; Cole meets media

max

• Pat Hickey was at the Canadiens’ practice facility in Brossard Thursday when Erik Cole met the Montreal media

Canadiens winger Max Pacioretty took a significant step forward in his recovery from concussion and broken vertebra on Wednesday when he skated in a charity game in Stamford, Connecticut, not far from his home in New Canaan.

According to Emily Kaplan of NHL.com, Pacioretty skated on a line with the Lightning’s Martin St. Louis and the Islanders Matt Moulson. “He didn’t miss a shift,” Kaplan wrote. “He skated well, even picking up a goal and a few assists.”

“It felt … I don’t know, I guess it just felt weird,” Pacioretty told Kaplan after the game. “It was weird at first, but as the game went on I think I felt a little more comfortable, and I’m looking forward now to gaining some momentum off of that.”

He told Kaplan that playing in The Big Assist III game (benefiting the Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation, which works to improve the quality of life for people with spinal cord injuries and diseases) was the most competitive hockey he’s played since resuming skating a few months ago.

“I had a lot of time off since my injury, and now I’m just working on putting on muscle and trying to get as big and as fast as possible,” he said. “I’ve done a pretty good job of that so far and I hope to keep doing that through August.”

“Pacioretty said he feels like he is back to his pre-injury strength level — in fact, he said he might be even stronger,” wrote Kaplan. “He’s never had this much time in the summer to work out, so he’s taking full advantage of it.”

Among the other NHLers playing in the game was the Lightning’s Ryan Shannon (who is from nearby Darien and who organized the event) Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, the Flyers James van Riemsdyk, the Blues Kevin Shattenkirk the Blackhawks Ben Smith, and Toronto’s Matt Lashoff. Hockey Hall of Famer Glenn Anderson also skated with the group, along with some area players who play collegiate hockey, minor pro and are pros in Europe.

More on the game, including photos of Pacioretty, are in this story from The Stamford Advocate.

1. habrez says:

Just saw the TSN highlights of Erik Cole meeting with the media. Michael Whalen was covering the story. What did BUGS do with John Liu? Hope John is OK.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

With Lebrun now with TSN, CBC is an Elliotte Friedman desertion from being the absolute worst hockey broadcast the nation has ever seen.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

3. habstrinifan says:

See Shane O’Brien signed for 500.000 less than he was making.

Why couldnt it have been with the HABS.

4. habstrinifan says:

Signed on at 12:00 am Friday July 15th to see within the first few posts honest looks at the team based on Cammalieri’s remarks and some moves by the Devils I think.

Way to go to those posters. Keep the message coming. At the very least it assuages the feeling of frustration that PG/JM seem intent on icing the same type team-system as last year.

• Marc10 says:

Looking at the team’s needs, I think you can point to a couple:

1) Goal Scoring – a big winger that goes to the net to give the smaller skilled centers a bit more room: Mission accomplished (or at least a best attempt at getting that sorted)

2) Toughness and Grit – Not addressed (but who is to say that’s not in the cards)

The big question is: do we need that to make the show and can we acquire it at the deadline?

PG doesn’t have much to play with:

– Trading Weber
      – Trading a prospect
      – Trading AK46 sometime during the year if Cole works out
      – Trading picks for grit at the deadline
      – A combination of those…

Otherwise, I just don’t see what PG could do now. You don’t want to mess up the room chemistry which by all accounts is good – and you’re not that far off… as a healthy Montreal lineup is a pretty good match for Boston (if that’s your measuring stick…)

Just sayin’…

Was O’Brien a risk worth taking? Was Zonopka?

We’re going to find out, because it looks like we’re going into the season with this lineup + one kid from Ham or some 4th line center journeyman + Boone’s man Gorges.

I’d say at this stage, we start looking at the ‘Rent-a-Player/UFA market’ in March. That’s probably what PG will do (if anything…)

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

5. mike3131 says:

Cole attempting to speak french:

• crazyhabsfan says:

Atta Boy!!

“We’ve got to find a way to beat them. We can’t play hang-on hockey. We’ve got to go out and take it to them and make plays and be aggressive. If you play hang-on hockey in this league, they’re going to beat you.”
      -Mike Cammalleri
      I think it’s time to change it up a bit JM…

• habaholic68NJ says:

Won’t happen as long as JM rules.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• JayBee says:

JM must have spit out his coffee upon reading/hearing this. “hang on” hockey is what JM is all about.

• G-Man says:

No. Defense first is what JM is all about.
          09/10 223 GA
          10/11 209 GA

09/10 217 GF
          10/11 216 GF

Marked improvement on D despite all the injuries and virtually no change offensively despite the #1a line not performing.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for ‘reposting’ this comment from Cammallieri. I had wanted to do it from yesterday but just couldnt stand another set of reprisals from the ‘leave things as they are group… all is well’ telling me that it is who fans like me who are not true habs fans who criticise.

Wonder if JM is listening or PG. Gionta the captain also made some interesting remarks at his post exit interview.

I would consider it absolutely dereliction of duty if PG allows the essentially the same type team to take the ice for 2011-2012 and if JM does not sit with his veterans and approach the season with a more dynamic game plan.

• Marc10 says:

Nice. How hard was that?

But more importantly, what’s John Lu’s take on all this… ;-)

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• D Mex says:

I have obviously missed something about John Lu and the french language – any chance of a short recap of what he said or did ?

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Marc10 says:

He made some comment on his report from Prospect Camp about how some members of the Francophone Media wanted Beaulieu to speak French…

The usual shameless trolling trying to stir up a language controversy where none existed. Couldn’t find a goalie controversy, so he went for the next best thing. He’s a douche.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
          Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• D Mex says:

That’s too bad.

Regardless, my hat is off to Erik Cole for making the effort in front of the microphones today. 51% of the challenge in learning another language is attitude IMO, and his attitude merits an A+.

– Un très bel effort Erik ! :-)

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Clay says:

Some people here really need to grow up. John Lu is certainly not a ‘douche’ – he is a very nice man, and a big Habs fan to boot. Seriously, get a grip on reality, and stop being so hyper-sensitive.

__________________________
            Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

• 24moreCups says:

“I loooove PK Subban”.. ? Me to haha I’m so happy we got this kid on our team!

• Marc10 says:

Not the best match up out of the gate for PK. Doughty has one year up on him without the negative publicity.

Talent-wise, I don’t know. Maybe Doughty wins a Norris before PK does. Maybe PK gets a Cup before Doughty does. Still, I think PK was more NHL ready when he stepped in against Crosby in the playoffs. A year in the AHL was just the ticket.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

6. JohnBellyful says:

The more I think about it, the more I get steamed that Boston signed Pouliot. It was like a slap in the face. The message was: Watch us, we’ll make a star out of a player that Montreal tried to and failed. It’s not enough to win a Stanley Cup with ex-Canadiens on board, the Bruins will take every opportunity they can to stick the knife in and give a little twist.
    Well, it’s time the Habs stood up to the bullies and beat them at their own game. They should sign an ex-Bruin to fill that fourth line centre opening and groom him for stardom and make Pouliot look like a has-been never-was. And I found just the guy: Ben Guite. He’s 33 — wait a minute, wait a minute — but he’s OVER six feet tall. The Bruins gave up on him AFTER one game. Talk about a project. But that’s what we want, to show up the Bruins
    Now Guite did go on to play for Colorado and Nashville, appearing in 174 games before ending up in Springfield of the AHL last year. So, yeah, he presents a challenge but from what I read, Guite doesn’t have a history of falling on his own so the team is already one step ahead. And he’s a veteran, which immediately puts him in Martin’s good books. And here’s the clincher — he was born in Montreal and DRAFTED by Montreal. So he’s not only an ex-Bruin, he’s an ex-Hab of sorts which could be the difference-maker we’re looking for.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Another way to look at it is they won a Stanley Cup and they’re still obsessed with us.

They couldn’t play the kind of beautiful hockey we beat them with so often, so they got the NHL to take the game down to their level.

The Taliban of hockey. Any victory they have is a defeat for civilization.

• Alexandra says:

Let’s refrain from referring to a hockey style as “beautiful” as that adjective should be reserved for figure skating only.
        This is simply Canadian vs. European styles; the latter having a more effeminate quality and arguably stripping it of its roots IMHO, although “prettier” to watch.

7. adamkennelly says:

so let me get this straight…Devils trade P3L to the Flames for a 5th rounder – I guess that was too much for PG to give up for a local kid who CAN and WOULD help this team..and then the Devils go ahead and sign Cam Janssen..PERFECT…another season of being the (deleted) team in the league…terrific. maybe JM and PG are waiting for a few more of our guys to get knocked out of commission by teams who disrespect us because of our complete lack of any toughness….embarrassing.

• habstrinifan says:

Hear Hear!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I know it’s an H I/O tradition to criticize the Habs after each and every trade that doesn’t involve them, but Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond??? Cone the f**k on! He is a career AHL player. At 26 he’s played all of 37 games in the NHL with zero goals to show for it. You’re seriously sad we didn’t sign him?

And Cam Janssen is an utter joke. An embarrassment to the sport.

hear – here!

A poorly translated interview with Engqvist, courtesy of Google translate.

The original was in Swedish.

• TheKarl says:

I’m Swedish, gimme 10 minutes and I’ll translate for you

• SmartDog says:

This intro reminds me of the Wild and Crazy Guys!

“But fold the bill and go home now? No, it is not included in the plans.”
      LMAO!

What does “Doing it in the Hammock” mean??

• HardHabits says:

Hopefully TheKarl pulls through with a better one as he has offered.

The gist of what I am reading is that Engqvist hopes to get more NHL games under his belt and maybe even earn a spot on the Habs. He knows it’s competitive at centre but that’s his goal.

• Bugs says:

The Wild and Crazy Guys weren’t Swedish…
        Weren’t they like Polish-Hungarians or sumpin?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• TheKarl says:

it’s usually a typical asked in personal interviews, generally meaning “what do you do when you finally get to relax?” I’ll admit it sounds hilarious in English though haha

• TheKarl says:

Engqvist played 3 games during his debut year in North America. But, tucking in his beak and going home already? That is not part of the plan

“No, because in some way…. one doesn’t want to regret anything and I am under contract for one more year. Also, I got a taste of the NHL last year so I must simply return and keep fighting for a spot” says Engqvist [to the blogg].

He played 71 games with the farm team Hamilton Bulldogs and 3 with NHL Montreal. And, he found life in the farm system better than he expected.

“It’s been really good! Everything was different but I was definitively positively surprised. One hears alot about the AHL here in Sweden and it was not as bad as I thought, [Swedish saying, meaning really that it was quite good] far from as bad as some people said.

*How did yout think it was going to be then?*
      “Well, you hear that its kinda OK, up and down, and I guess it sort of was… the two ‘fives’ [lines] definitely play a high quality game. What differs from Sweden is that in Sweden you generally have a few young talents in the 3rd and 4th lines whereas in the AHL the players are a little tougher, more ‘fighters’ in those lines.

*If I remember correctly you were often in the first line?*
      “Yes and no, I started on the 3rd line, then they brought a guy up permanently to Montreal [I'm guessing Pac] and another was moved off the team [Avtsin??] so I guess after half the season I was more on the 1st or 2nd line. We were mostly [I guess he's referring to his linemates Wyman and who? Russel?] on the 2nd line but sometimes on the first if they wanted to match us up against a specific ‘five’ on the other team.”

*What role have you played?*
      “I feel I can play two roles and I’ve been more defensively minded this season than I was my last season with Djurgarden but I like the defensive role as well, furthermore you play the role you’re told to play. Here [Hamilton], they wanted me to be more defensive and then its up to you to play that role.”

*You got 25 points during the season and 9 points in 20 games during the playoffs, that’s not really alot is it?*
      “No, it happens with the role I was given. But despite that, I should have probably scored more points.”

**Getting into the team was easier however:*
      It was a chill gang with alot of players my age, good guys. There were also no other Swedes so it was easy to quickly become a part of the gang. When there aren’t any other Swedes around then you have to make more of an effort to get to know the others in order to feel like you are bigger part of the team.

**How was it playing on the smaller surface**
      It is a little different but you don’t really think about it when you play, you just give as much as you can. After a while you notice a few things that are different. The biggest difference is the amount of games, sometimes you play 4 games in 5 days and that is something you’re not used to.

**What was the hardest thing about that?**
      You feel it after a while, especially at the end. I think we had 10 games the last 16 days and then the playoffs started. You’re body felt it for sure

**So you toughened up I guess?**
      No, haha but you get used to it. You watch how others prepare and what routines they have.

– However, some Swedish is never wrong. Especially not during Christmas. Andreas’ girlfriend was there the entire season and around christmas his close family visited.

“Vi stopped at IKEA and bought some julmust [Swedish Christmas soda...] other Swedish treats….”

-In total Andreas played 3 NHL games, 2 in January and one in Marh. His debut came January 21 against Ottawa and the next day his first home game at the Bell Centre. –

“the first game was awesome and we won 7-1 so it wasn’t exactly a boring game to play in haha. To play the next day at the Bell Centre was incredible. It was powerful, I think the arena takes 23,000 people and its like been sold out the last 7 years. This is no surprise thought since Montreal is Hockey’s Mecca.

**Best Experience**
      First game of course. Partly because it was the first and partly because we won so big. And then of course taking the ice at the Bell Centre. Your hairs stand up when you step out but when the puck later drops you focus on the game.

**Opinions on playing mostly in the AHL??**
      Well, one knows that for some it takes time to get into the NHL. There aren’t that many from Sweden that come straight over and play. Some do this and some do it get in the ‘other way’. Some might say that I only played three games but I’m sure many could consider just that an incredible bonus just to play at all. You can’t really know how close you are until they call you up. That at least means you’re doing something right.

**What were you’re expectations about the NHL before you left?88
      “I didn’t really know what to expect since they have many Centers in Montreal. There are also many good players fighting to make the team so you never know. Some left this summer and some new may arrive. I have one more year on my contract so I will return and do whatever I can to make the team.”

In Djurgarden, Andreas sometimes sang [Djurgarden winning song] in the shower when they won. “I’ve tried to keep up to date with my old team but its almost impossible. Mostly I try to catch the highlights. Also, Kyle [Klubbertranz who also played with DIF in 09-10] kept asking me how they were doing so I guess we kept reasonably up to date.”

**Did you know that Kyle is going back to DIF?**
      No, we talked a bit but I didn’t know it was official until DIF announced it. But he likes Djurgarden and really enjoyed playing there so if he decided to return to Sweden it would only be DIF, Stockholm, the team and the fans.

**You then? what are you’re plans if you don’t make the team next year?**
      I will finish my contract and then we’ll see. But if I return to Sweden then there is only 1 team I will play for. But I am ready to fight both in Montreal and Hamilton to make the Canadiens. That is the mindset you have to have. Then you just have to take it year by year and see what happens.

**What do you need to improve to grab a spot?**
      EVERYTHING, I have to get better at everything

**When you were up in the NHL, how far away did you feel from that spot?**
      It was more about how close I felt. You start to feel things working and every step brings you closer. It felt the same way the first time I played a game in the Elite League [Sweden] and the national squad. You just feel like you can.

I hear a lot of talk about how the Habs are in desperate need of a 4th line centre because with-out one they can’t possibly make it past the 1st round.

Really?!?!? Maybe we should also worry about who is going to be the 8th defence man too.

I have a novel idea. Maybe Gauthier is actually thinking about what the Habs really need, and that is a #1 centre.

My question is this. Why bother with these lateral moves that neither make the Habs better nor worse and merely take away ice time from up and coming prospects?

Last season the Habs didn’t start with DD or Pacioretty in the line-up but both graduated. Don’t be surprised if a few more step up this season.

My guess is PG is working on something big on the trade front.

• 24 Cups says:

Dave, Dave, Dave – Name one player in Hamilton who has the upside of MaxPac or DD.

As well, a 4th line centre is part of the total picture. Quite different from an 8th Dman like Mara or Sopel. Boston’s trade for Kelly is proof of that.

My point is simple, Dave. We have around 3M extra cap space that we are not going to spend (until the trade deadline). I just thought that the master plan would have included spending some ofthat money on a decent secondary forward this summer. Hopefully, a centre who can take on some other roles (PK, wing, sandpaper, FO)

Having said all of that, I hear what you are saying. People are fed up listening to my lament about a 4th line pivot. I’ll move one to other topics.

(A reminder, if I may. I have Gorges on the over side of 3M. I drink Rusty Nails as you well know).

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Palushaj has quite a bit of upside IMHO.

(but I continue to suspect that JP Dumont will fill the role of bottom 6 veteran this season)

• HardHabits says:

At least two things will be clearer in a few days. ;-)

• Number31 says:

UFA front is pretty lame now unless a trade happens…

Take guys for the role. Want a fourth line guy in the system? Gabriel Dumont, THE ONLY DUMONT I want to see on this team and deserves the spot. He’s like Lapierre, except with less diving and would take on anyone. Crashes the net. Always thought he was eyeing Lapierre’s job, even when he played in the Q. Wears #40 too! (Also did so in the Q). People look at his size and immediately write him off but frankly I always thought he was bigger. He plays bigger. (Just has to watch himself else he finds himself with another 10-game suspension…)

There’s also Conboy, so long as he learns to control himself on the “stupid penalties” front and if he’s going to fight, then someone has to teach him to fight better. But he also parks himself in front of the net. He’s a big boy. I see him more like a rookie Moen.

Eventually, there’s also Philippe Lefebvre (who’s a bit like Dumont, but I think he’ll be ready when Leblanc is). Both he and Dumont are huge playoff players too. Dumont especially. He’s fairly clutch for a scrapper.

• HabFab says:

He didn’t have a good regular season but sure picked it up in the play-offs. Don’t believe him to be ready but wouldn’t the guys here crap if someone his size did at camp. ;)

Are you still with the Juniors, if not too personal a question?

• Bill J says:

I’ve wondered that myself, why some seem to settle for 4th line upgrades… Go for 1st line upgrades, and everyone drops down one level at that position. Much better way to approach upgrades.

Good post HH

• mike3131 says:

Boston won the cup with David Krejci as their #1 centre. You can’t say Krejci is better than Plekanec. On the other hand, Boston also had 3 other solid centres that played physical (save for Kelly), won key faceoffs, killed penalties and also provided offence when needed. THAT’S WHAT WE NEED!

• Mike Boone says:

Krejci was great against Vancouver – better than Plekanec has been against anyone in the playoffs ever, by my reckoning. Bergeron was also effective.

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger
        Gazette City columnist
        mboone@montrealgazette.com

Seems to me Plex pretty much schooled Krejci head to head in round 1 there Booner. I don’t dispute how much better Krejci got, but he did sweet diddly squat in round 1 against a better 2 way centreman.

• SmartDog says:

Are you for real? Better than Pleks against the Pens and Caps?

Yeah, and while Pleks was busy shutting down Ovechkin and Crosby, Cami scored all those goals on his own. Pffffftttt…

I’m thinking people that say you HIO guys love the Bruins in some weird kind of way are right. Stockholm syndrome maybe. The Bruins beat the nucks because of depth and goal tending.

• emann_222 says:

We have a 4th line center … His name is Ryan White. Why anyone is talking Palushaj when we just signed a one-way deal with this kid for $625K baffles me.

He’s going to bring the Habs the depth that they need on the 4th line – no doubt (http://www.allhabs.net/?p=14570). Between him, Moen and Darche … points and grit!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.allhabs.net

• mike3131 says:

Yeah but he’s not going to win us many faceoffs and his defensive game needs refinement. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased with White but I don’t think he would be ready for such a defensive role. I think his role is an energy guy that will finish hits, drop the gloves to defend teammates, and work hard every shift. Not kill penalties, win key faceoffs (or FO% > %50), shutdown the opposition and hit people through the glass.

11. MTLForever says:

stop with the 72 hate. he wore in junior and won rookie of the year wearing it.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

While we’re on the topic of the great Canadian hockey pundit class:

Bill Watters on Cody Franson.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned.)

So which former Bruin replaces Lebrun, can you say Dr. Mark Recchi!

• DearyLeary says:

The CBC saw how successful the “C’Mon, Ref” segment on TSN was, so they thought maybe a medical specialist would attract a new audience too.

Unfortunately, Dr. Recchi was the best medical mind they could find.

14. Malreg says:

Pierre LeBrun is leaving CBC and HNIC and joining TSN. He was one of the few credible and intelligent journalists employed by CBC… Elliot Friedman is now pretty much the only decent one left on HNIC.

• Exit716 says:

Friedman will get a good offer from Rogers or TSN. Face it, CBC is finished in terms of being able to compete for the Hockey Night package.
      Don’t worry, there are tons of Jr. C goalies and loser Bruins thugs to fill in LeBrun’s role at CBC. Jay Miller or Bob Wensink are probably in Toronto as we speak getting ready to sign their fat CBC contract ala PJ Stunk.

Tom may have been joking and I may have been shot down for mentioning Drury or Madden. Others have felt that Engqvist is ready. Regardless, I think the point is that we have a hole in our line-up when it comes to selecting a 13th forward who can wear a variety of hats. Money is not a problem but the lack of real options (on the market and down on the farm) is a concern.

We presently have four centres on the roster but none of them are really suited for the 4th line. White can play centre so he makes five (in theory). Engqvist in the unknown rookie from Hamilton. That’s it. Period.

Other Eastern teams load up down the middle while we have a bit of a patch quilt after Pleks. Sorry, but that may not be good enough to get past the first round. We’re weak down the middle no matter how you rationalize it out.

I know I’m becoming a broken record on this and I promise to stop.

Did I mention we need another centre?

• JF says:

Steve – I agree completely, and I wonder Gauthier did not address this weakness while there were a few more options out there. I can only suppose he’s counting on Engqvist, in which case he must have seen something the rest of us haven’t.

I’d also like to see him pick up an extra defenceman to avoid having to sacrifice yet another draft pick during the season because of injuries. Paul Mara would be good in this role.

• Malreg says:

I think you’re being shot down more for mentioning Drury then for mentioning we need a 4th line center. It’s not even clear if Drury will be healthy enough to play this year.

I wouldn’t mind a player like Madden, I think he would fit in very well. We have 4 capable centers for the top 3 lines, and that’s what really matters in my opinion. There’s still plenty of off-season left to pick up a 4th line center. Remember how late Halpern was signed last year?

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Dunno if he’s changed his mind as he’s grown older – but back in the day Drury refused to play for a Canadian team. His only stipulation when he forced a trade out of Calgary was that it had to be to an American team.

Calgary settled for a lesser trade with Buffalo.

• HardHabits says:

I listened to the last Bulldogs game on Internet radio. Engqvist scored a huge short-handed goal to get the Dogs back in it. He may not be NHL ready but I like his potential.

Question: who will be habs opening day Dmen?
    Markov, PK, Gill, Gorges and …. I am going with Emelin and Spacek, Weber 7th.

• G-Man says:

Psst…fill in Subban….

LOL oh too funny, i posted that from my blackberry and I was looking at it thinking, ahhh you are missing someone. Okay, i must apologize for this oversight. I only voted about 20 times today for Subban against Doughty to no avail.

Thanks Gman. Wow really feel like a shmuck right now.

17. TomNickle says:

Brian Sutherby is the key to the Habs Stanley Cup hopes. If Pierre Gauthier signs him, this team is headed to the promised land. If he doesn’t, this team won’t be tough enough or good enough in the faceoff circle to compete with the elite teams in the NHL.

18. shiram says:

New post, trying out the new sig… seems to handle just fine!

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• G-Man says:

Heinlein lives!

• shiram says:

Yup him, and John Wagner cover a vast spectrum of science-fiction that I love.
        Thought it was cool that both made up words could fit in such a way.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Chester says:

In His immortal words
        ” Always store your beer in a cool dark place”
        Now that’s a sign of intelligence.

Well when I hear the words beer and intelligence in the same sentence I am harkened back to the words of Mr. Cliff Claven.

Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. So when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

The human brain works that way too. It only operates as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. So, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

~Cliff Clavin (from Cheers)

• Chips says:

Nice “Stranger In A Strange Land” reference!!! Love that book!!

25 in 2012

19. Kooch7800 says:

Since we are in the offseason, here is something that will make you think:

Amazing and scary at the same time.
    Mind blowing facts……..

Sony played this video at its annual shareholder meeting . There is so much provocative information in this 5-minute presentation that I had to go back and watch it a second time….

________________________________________

• Kooch7800 says:

I didn’t even have the Internet until about 14 years ago….think about how much it has changed since

• Everlasting1 says:

In reply to the last question of the presentation, “What does it all mean?” NOT GOOD.

——————————————————————-
      “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

Good for me. Bad for you.

• Everlasting1 says:

A response I’d expect from an unconscious mind.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

Unconscious I am still more aware than you.

• Everlasting1 says:

You are aware of very little.
            Here’s an enlightening vid which you might find sappy.
            In this world driven by profit (in which you won’t see any of) a new purpose/realization can be made. There are other paths humanity can forge that is far more rewarding for all.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• habs178 says:

That was SICK! I’m not sure if it was sick good or sick bad….but crazay fosho!!! Good share!

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
      ~Jacques Plante

20. Kooch7800 says:

I think PG should seriously consider Brad Winchester as an addition to the bottom 6. I am not just saying that cause he is big an physical but he can score goals and lay some serious body checks out there.

If you could get him for 800 K that would be a steal.

I am assuming that we won’t and we will be signing another depth centre instead.

21. G-Man says:

Great to hear that MaxPac is well on the road to recovery. I wonder if he’ll use that ladder mentioned below?

22. JD_ says:

* One never tires of readin’ about players usin’ their Darwinian-given talents for a higher purpose. Good on Shannon for organizin’ the charity game and fittin’, given the OHH Foundation’s mandate, that MaxPac participated. Great to hear he’s pumped about his physical condition and hopeful the mental aspect follows suit.

* So, I read Cole’s jersey is gonna sport #72. Meh. Whatever. Although a number never before worn by a Hab, former Habs Mathieu Schneider and Shayne Corson both carried it on other teams, includin’ the Loafs; Schneider 1995-98, Corson 2001-03. My sources tell me the players opted for #72 to commemorate 1972, the year Loafs’ president Stafford Smythe and VP Harold Ballard were arrested for theft and fraud involving funds of Maple Loaf Gardens. Not coincidentally, Stafford’s dad was named Conn and Harold Ballard was named Harold Ballard.

* Has Teemu righteously signed a one-year, bring-down-the-house deal with the Jets yet?

* Has poor Darren Pang tweeted about the White contract yet?

* Just read that the Broonz org recently took the Stanley Cup to Lake Placid to thank the local residents for the hospitality and support shown to the team when it spent some down-time there durin’ the playoffs. The poor Broonz bastard who drew the short straw for this assignment was treated to Mrs. Haggerty’s delightful Velveeta® and pimento loaf scones, toured the driftwood museum, visited the turn-of-the-century post office, served chili at the bingo, and was, through the intervention of an alert janitor, successfully revived after accidentally swallowin’ the TV remote in his Motel 6 suite.

* Burkie sux.

Nice post, enjoyed the read.

• punkster says:

You know, it’s a little known fact that driftwood museums quite often contain a smattering of pieces with uncanny likenesses to great figures in our history. I know of one such museum in a small town on the Trans Canada somewhere beyond Deep River. It contains a unique piece that bears a startling resemblance to one Brian Burke. It, too, sux.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

Didn’t Mathieu Carle wear #72?

And there I was thinkin’ you knew stuff…

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• avatar_58 says:

Yeah but no one WORTHWHILE has worn it

(sorry Carle…)

• JD_ says:

Well, seein’ as it was only for three games, he didn’t really wear it.

See, accordin’ to the Shirt College Rector of Original Ornamentation at Yorktown-Ohio University (SCROOYOU), a professional athlete must have put on a jersey for at least four games before it is considered worn.

Yeah, that’s it, that’s the ticket.

(Damn you, SET, you’re right.)

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

Sheesh – I didn’t say he’d gain access to the Alumni lounge (for which, If I’m not mistaken, 48 games must be played)… I learned that after consulting the Union of Players at Yorktown-Ohio University Registry of Sports. (UPYOURS).

Mark this date: JD said I’m right.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

23. Neutral says:

chara don’t bother anyone unless you bother him, than he makes you pay, sometimes clean, sometimes dirty….don’t like his dirty stuff but the league does, so a player will do what he can get away with PAC was a good example….

24. j2w4habs25 says:

http://www.tsn.ca/franchisefaceoff/ VOTE FOR PK SUBBAN HAB FANS!

Carey Price #31

25. habs-hampton says:

“… benefiting the Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation, which works to improve the quality of life for people with spinal cord injuries and diseases …”

I wonder if Chara played on the other team? If Max was the “spinal cord injury”, wouldn’t that make Lurch the “disease”?

26. krob1000 says:

Funniest serious Eklund headline ever!

” It will take Luke Schenn+ to get Stamkos. Is it Worth it?”

Somewhere Burkie is in seclusion striking his thinker’s pose (in the most truculent way imaginable that is).

Somewhere else Stevie Y is telling his people to send the Bat Signal out to find Burkie and tell him that any deal with the Leafs for Stamkos starts with Tyler Seguin.

Somewhere else Phil Kessel has his Burkie and Seguin voodoo dolls and is whacking them repeatedly with his mini Stanley Cup he got from a case of beer.

• HalifaxHabs says:

lmao… there’s no such thing as a serious Eklund line, but you’re right, that is funny, and it qualifies as the understatement of the year.

I had seen that earlier in the day and thought WTF! Nice summation of the whole scenario. Only problem is we are again now dangerously close to bashing Burke. This is not a view shared by all on this web page. Careful……

27. Rudy says:

I still think Gomez needs to give back #11 that was just bad karma I think.

• 24moreCups says:

I agree, it’s the memory of Koivu cursing him haha

• db says:

After watching some Koivu highlights I noticed that he actually spent quite a bit of time in the dirty areas. I’d like to see Gomez drive hard to the net on his first shift.

Maybe he should consider 22. Has anyone played an entire season without injury wearing that #? (Not that I wish injury on anyone) 22 just reminds me of Brunet and Bill Lindsay.

28. avatar_58 says:

72 eh? I guess he didn’t want to start the kovalev-fan hate train had he taken 27. Can’t say as I blame him.

29. shiram says:

Cole takes #72, does it mean the 26 will remain on Gorges??
    Let the speculation begin.

• davelecave says:

Apparently he asked Gionta how much it would cost him to buy 26 from Gorges, and Gionta pretty much told him to forget about it. I assume this means he’s a Hab no matter what before the season starts, although I think most people thought that already.

• krob1000 says:

No disrespect to Gorges but 26 still belongs to Mats Naslund as far as I am concerned

30. Bill says:

I wonder if our resident neurologist could tell us why some people get terrible concussions from hits that look less than vicious (Crosby) while others apparently experience no symptoms despite getting head-shots that are the seeming equivalent of sticking your head in front of a Mack truck (Pacioretty)? It’s weird. I mean, we already have Dr. Recchi’s report, but I’m looking for a more reliable opinion :)

I am really happy that he’s recovered so well from the cracked vertebra and optimistic that he’ll be a major presence on the Habs this year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• krob1000 says:

I’m no neurologist but I remember reading an article on that very issue….Crosby’s impact was from the side and apparently they are worse when not head on…pardon the pun
      This may be the article..http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/02/the-aftershocks/

“By comparing the two reconstructions, especially the 3-D brain models generated by sensors inside the dummy, Hoshizaki’s team can see the different risk of brain tissue damage each player might have experienced. The results are as fascinating as they are perplexing: the brain model from the Crosby reconstruction shows a rainbow of tissue stress, while the brain model from the Pacioretty reconstruction is mostly blue, representing less risk of tissue damage.

Hoshizaki suggests that although the Pacioretty-Chara hit happened at a higher speed than the Crosby-Steckel one (36 km/h versus 27 km/h), and even though Pacioretty was knocked out, the angular acceleration lasted longer in the case of Crosby than Pacioretty (20 milliseconds compared to seven milliseconds, respectively). Since angular acceleration is so closely connected to the risk of concussion, that might explain why the brain model generated by the Crosby-Steckel reconstruction indicates so much more tissue stress. As well, the researchers hypothesize that the location of the impact on each player’s head may explain why the tissue damage varies. Hoshizaki says that the front of the brain, such as where Pacioretty was hit, may be more robust than the sides, which is where Crosby was struck.”

I am no expert at all, but from what I have read, the issue specifically for Crosby, was he essentially suffered a concussion from Steckel’s hit, your brain remains in trauma for some time immediately after (I think up to 2 days) and this is key time for the brain. Because he went out and played the next day against Tampa and took what appeared to be an innocuous looking hit, this 2nd hit/concussion made the situation far worse. This has to do with specific chemicals the brain is releasing during the intitial trauma concussion. When a 2nd hit on the brain occures during this time it makes the situation much worse.

• nickster13 says:

I read and watched and learnt that if a hit is direct on and the brain rocks side to side (aka side to side, or front to back) with no horizontal wobble, then your brain can absorb and distribute the shock evenly and efficiently. But if there is a horizontal wobble where the brain bangs 4 sides of your skull then the brain takes much more of a beating. Im not sure why, but thats what they say.

• The Dude says:

I would say that genetics have a say in that as well as the numbers game.Thank you hockey Gods for Max Pac’s recovery ,again I thought he died on that f@(king vicious premeditated hit from Dino Pussnutt’s! This years Habs team needs Evgeny Artyukhin and now!

Dude, can you imagine if tomorrow Habs press release was the signing of Artyukhin! I mean alot of us are asking PG to bring one more stud of a guy into the lineup for team toughness. Not sure what any of us actually “expect” PG will actually do. BUt i think I would crap myself if I read that PG had signed Artyukhin.

• arcosenate says:

You are absolutely right.

• christophor says:

This is probably one of the last issues imaginable where I’d say a genetic difference between the two is of any significance whatsoever.

• Neutral says:

good size for the 4th line and he ain’t scared to mix it up. JM wouldn’t want him takes too many penalties….

31. shiram says:

I don’t get why people care so much about the number the players choose.
    What’s so bad about 72? Or 68 or even 99??
    99 sure was good enough for Wayne.

32. arcosenate says:

I always carry a step ladder now, just in case I get the opportunity to punch Chara in the face.

Welcome back Max!

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Erik Cole is going to wear 72, because apparently 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28 would be lame numbers to wear.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

34. ESundy36 says:

Wish I was still living in Connecticut, would have made my way down the Gold Coast for that one.