Pacioretty suspended three games

jk11 1126 habs penguins 3rd 0808
Let the anguished howls begin.
This is three games more than Zdeno Chara got for his hit on Pacioretty.
It’s also three games more than Ryan Malone’s hit on Chris Campoli.
And three games more than Milan Lucic got for knocking Ryan Miller out of action.

Gentlemen (and ladies): Start your conspiracy theories.

The league has ruled Pacioretty commited an illegal hit to the head “in which the head was targeted as the principal point of contact.”

Unless he appeals the decision, Max-Pac will miss the Canadiens’ games in AnaheimWednesday, San Jose on Thursday and Los Angeles on Saturday. He will forfeit $ 26,351.34 in salary.

Here’s Brandan Shanhan’s explanation, with video.

“When cutting across the middle on a play like this, all players accept that a full body check may be looming,” Shanahan says. “However, what no player should expect is that his head will become the principal point of contact on a hit.”

Shanahan said the positioning of Kris Letang’s head on the play did not effect the itent of Max Pacioretty’s check.

The onus “was on Pacioretty to make sure he didn’t make Letang’s head the principal point of contact.”

While Pacioretty asserted, in his Monday morning phone conversation with Shanhan, that Letang’s leaninging into his shot changed the angle of the hit, Shanahan ruled “it is still his reponsibility to make principal contact through the core of Letang’s body.”

Instead, the NHL disciplinarian ruled, Pacioretty shifted his weight to his right leg, making Letang’s head the principal point of contact.

Well, until now.

And just for comparison, here’s another three-game suspension – for André Deveaux’s hit on Thomas Fleishmann.

1. TheMock780 says:

This proves two things: a) Shanahan is just as big of a hypocrite as Campbell and b) that being Gary Bettman’s best buddy amongst the owners and his most staunch supporter (ie. Jeremy Jacobs, Bruins owner) has it’s priveledges that aren’t extended to every team.

If you want to suspend Paches, that’s their perrogotive. But to let the Bruins get away with the things they’ve done and Ryan Malone too, that can’t slide

2. Captain aHab says:

I’ll tell you what: if, starting now, someone else does the same thing and doesn’t get suspended, i’ll join the ranks of the conspiracy supporters.

3. arcosenate says:

Yo Shanny, dude jumped on the trolley tracks to take a shot on net, every hockey player knows not to do that, there’s an onus on protecting yourself, it’s a hockey play, what’s your GD problem?

4. 1010 says:

I shouldn’t be shocked but I am. The last couple of years I’ve been telling people that I have been nearing the breaking point with this joke of a league. No one on this planet can tell me why Malone gets nothing and Max gets three games. The bias is suffocating.
    After 40 years of watching this game it’s time for me to quit whining or move on. I’ve decided on the latter.
    I know, ‘don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out’ is the next line I will hear: But it is time to find another way to amuse myself.
    I simply do not understand neither the people that run this league nor the rules that guide it.
    Good luck to this team and thanx to you all -whether I squabbled with you or not- for the entertainment.

GO HABS…

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

Wasn’t Cooke on the ice at the time of the hit? He did not even blink twice at Pacioretty for the hit. Nobody went after Pacioretty for it, they knew it was a clean hit

6. lgc_liam says:

While I don’t see that hit being intentional, since Letang was leading with his head, I can see why there was a suspension. These kind of hits are the really dangerous ones, even if they are really hard to prevent as a player, and we all know Shanny would have made the same hit in his playing days. Should’ve given Max a 1 game suspension as a warning, but as long as the Habs are playing in the NHL, what should be and what is are going to be different.

7. novahab says:

Now if I was the owner I say all right we understand. Then release a statement that the NHL is lacking leadership. What the NHL needs is a new commissioner one that can undetsand the correct markets to put teams into. It time for the Molsons to turn up the heat and give back instead of taking shots. The CBC all the TO sport station and the NHL are all against this team. There is no longer any respect for the most storied team in the NHL. Hey as af an i say to the Molsons what the hell I didn’t pay more that a half billion for this team . Then have a little punk like Bettman run it into the ground.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Did you post this or something like it after the Chara non-suspension? Had a de ja vu feeling reading it.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

8. derfab says:

Habs management has no balls. One game would be enough and one more than Chara got for a much dirtier play. Disgusting. Again. A good hockey player making a good play is told he’s not good enough for this shitty league.

9. The Dude says:

Well let this then be the line drawn in the sand for all upcoming head-shot infractions and I’ll be watching to make sure! Again this is something that historically happens to the Habs and that’s why the Habs have too be soooo much better than all the other teams.And until that day again “it will happen!” the fans and the Team are pooched!

• DearyLeary says:

It’s becoming clearer and clearer that they just spin a wheel. How they equate Patches hit with a blatant elbow from Deveaux is beyond comprehension.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

They should get that TSN monkey to spin the wheel then. Don’t think she ever picked MTL.

____________________________________________________
        They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

10. neumann103 says:

I thought it was a clean hit with unfortunate results. Letang said postgame that he knew someone was coming and chose to drop his head to get the shot off.

Apart from the obvious Malone and Lucic non-suspensions for much worse, intentional targetting, their is the cruel irony of Chara. That comparison is less valid to me because it predates the alleged new policy emphasis for 2011

I could accept this if it was part of a crackdown where even innocent plays that resulted in a headshot were punished just to try to shock behaviour. I even entertained the notion that this was a possible direction when the Laffs Clarke McArthur was given several games for very incidental contact while trying to get past a guy. Then you saw the Malone non-call. And more. And all bets are off.

Again, I think this was a legit hit. But I would accept a suspension if it was part of a zero tolerance effort to rid the game of even the most unintentional headshots. But this is the exact opposite. Total inconsistency that makes it anyone’s guess.

“Et le but!”

11. JIMVINNY says:

Just texted Dave Moss about this, his exact words – “Everyone knows Shanny hates MTL!”

• slapshot777 says:

This is why Shanahan was hand picked to fit right in with the other croonies. Bettman to Shanahan we only need you to answer one question for us to see if you qualify for this job. Shanahan what is it?

Bettman, what is your stance towards the Montreal Canadiens?

Shanahan, I hate those bastards.

Bettman, Congratulations my boy you get the job whole heartly.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

12. SmartDog says:

The simple TOTALLY F-D UP THING about this is that Shanahan says that Patches is responsible for what the other guy is doing, and for the end result regardless of the fact that the guy is stooped, he leans into the hit, when HE should be more aware, and that there was no penalty on the play. Whereas in so many of these, including Chara and Lucic, there’s no responsibility at all, everything is seen as unavoidable and accidental. Ridiculous. Shanahan is a TOTAL joke.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

13. Habfan4lfe says:

What a joke the NHL is. Obviously Shanahan is nothing more than Bettman’s new puppet. Come to think of it, Campbell was walking a little funny when he left the job and Bettman was all smiles.

14. Pricey Habs says:

After re-watching the hit, I expected a 1 to (at most) 2 game suspension. I figured a 1-2 game suspension would be plenty to send the message that a headshot (whether accidental or not) is unacceptable and will be punished. The extra game is simply bull! In a league where one point can decide whether or not your team makes the playoffs, it’s essential to always have your best players. As long as Bettman is running the show, the large American hockey markets will get away with everything while Canadian teams will be struck down to crash and burn.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

And we keep coming back and throwing money at it. They have a captive audience and they know it, so they get us all lathered up over stuff like this and pave the way for success in Tampa, Carloina, Phoenix………….

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

15. RiverviewCanadien says:

Shanahan says there was no intent on Deveaux’s hit!

But Shanahan makes it clear that Max was head hunting. Wow.

16. Shanny has made some good calls, some bad, not 100% which this one is but he is way too inconsistent.

17. LL says:

Shanahan is a disappointment.
    I thought we had moved out of the Dark Ages governed by Campbell.

Mr. No Intent Lucic – 0 games

18. dallyd31 says:

how bad can you get screwed in one game. First a brutal call that costs the game and now this. I thought maybe one game. Wow…the bias is pretty clear to see. Taking a look at the schedules of some teams tells a story as well

19. petefleet says:

I’m going to make this real simple. Shanahan is a fuc%ing idiot. A complete idiot. No way that hit was anywhere near as bad or as blatant as Lucic and Malone. Or for that matter, the hit that almost killed Max last year. Complete, utter bul%sh%t. Someone should give Shanahan a head shot if they can fish it out of his a%s.

******************************************
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…lets see …hmmm, Milan Lucic hits a goalie (Miller) in a play completely unnecessary and avoidable, receives a major, results in concussion (therefore a HEAD-SHOT) and multiple games missed ny Mr. Miller …ok …receives ZERO games suspension
    …Max hits a charging offensive D-man steam-rolling to His goal in a 3-3 game, makes a Hockey Play to slow Letang down or stop him, no penalty called or necessary in the view of 2 referees, results in broken-nose but no necessity for the ‘brain-trust’ to tell him to sit in ‘the quiet room’, returns with sufficient ‘clarity’ to score the winning goal in overtime, and Mr. Shannypants throws 3 games into the Habs’ & Max’s kissers
    …I’ve NEVER been the paranoid-type …BUT I’m gettin’ kinda squirly comin’ to terms with what’s goin’ on from Brendan Frederick “Shannypants” Shanahan’s Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and head disciplinarian’s office
    …in fact, concerned AND squirly !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

21. mb says:

As much as I dislike that decision, I seriously hope that it will set a standard in future suspensions (but if I refer to the past, that will only become a BS call, to say the least).

Screw this.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

That’s the problem, it won’t be the start of anything. They take each incident as a one off, making it “fair” that way. But the players haven’t got a clue what to expect anymore.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• mb says:

Exactly. I wouldn’t mind (well… I would mind less), if at least it brought something afterwards. And I agree that if we fans don’t even know what to expect, it must be hard to imagine for the players, too!

22. Nahlsy says:

Shanahan worked hard all his life so someday he could become Bettman’s little bitch. Congratulations Brendan, your moment of glory has arrived and you’ve officially lived the dream, you’re no longer a Hall of Fame Left Winger that terrified opposing goalies and stood toe to toe with enforcers, you’re just another crooked little bitch that does what Bettman tells him.

23. WindsorHab-10 says:

Habs better appeal this ridiculous suspension.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

• Fab K says:

the Habs will tuck their tail between their legs and accept whatever decision the league makes. This is what a joke of a franchise this has become…

nevertheless, go habs go.

24. DearyLeary says:

So he just equated that hit to Deveaux’s blatant elbow, nice to know.

Oh, and it’s apparently much worse than Lucy destroying a star goaltender.

It throws out the ‘his head moved just before the hit’ explanation on Malone for his non-suspension.

etc. etc. etc… the bullcrap never ends. Shanahan should never have consulted with Colin Campbell, the king of crap.

• Ali says:

come on guys, stop looking at it thru habs fan eyes. Campoli’s head ducks while Malone is commiting to the hit (still shouldve been a game) but Letangs head through the curl and the shot is in the same spot.

25. BeachHabFan says:

if georges got his nose broken by cooke, we’d say three isn’t enough, but still: if the refs on the ice at the speed of play didn’t call a penalty, that should be a factor. a game for contact to the head, sure, he should have tried harder to avoid it. but there was no obvious intent to cause harm (unlike lucic, deveaux, malone, to name a few) so to make the suspension the same or more severe is ridiculous. does shanny ask the refs why the call was/wasn’t made, i’d like to know their take

26. 100HABS says:

How is this different from the Campoli hit? I feel I’m pretty realistic and I feel cheated. I liked what Shanahan was doing from the start but no more – that’s two bad calls against us.

27. fun police says:

we do live in a funny world when chara doesn’t even get a game, lucic escapes with nothing and pax gets the same as Deveaux. Wow!

28. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Said it before and I’ll say it again, this league isn’t hockey, so we shouldn’t get it twisted.

They don’t see dime one from me, and they won’t for a while with this kind of shi…..

I’m a Habs fan, and will continue to watch their games online, but I’m not paying dime one to the NHL or anything associated with it until they fix what they have, or a hand full of teams that have their heads on straight pull out of this crap and start fresh.

Can you imagine a high level hockey league that actually plays hockey?
    That’s another reason I think Bettman wants out of the Olympics, we see how flawed his product is.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

29. RC-51 says:

I strongly disagree with this. I think that NHL( No Hit League) made a poor decision and complete farce that a 3gm susp. Was given for an open ice hit that injures the player, then comes back 10min later and score in OT. But yet, a player runs a goalie and possibly ends his season to a CONCUSSION and doesn’t get susp. I’ve been a HABS fan 30+years BUT as a hockey(unbiased) fan I’m VERY disappointed at the message the league is sending!

30. Jonson says:

time for a riot………….and hire boudreau

31. Ali says:

Too harsh, by one game. 2 games would have been fine. Letangs head did not move (watch the video) despite him being in shooting motion. Its a quick game, stuff happens. MaxPac’ll be back.

32. jo_maka says:

Next time Max, drive ‘em to the stanchion. That seems to work just fine.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

33. doogie says:

“In levying a three-game suspension, Shanahan acknowledged Pacioretty has “no history of supplementary discipline”. He’s right, Pac broke his neck and spent much of his Spring 2011 season in a halo but otherwise, hasn’t had any history either way. Can’t help but wonder, if Shanahan was in charge in March of last year, would F.Face Chara receive a suspension?

Somebody tell me, when Laperierre broke Brian Savage’s neck in LA, was there a penalty or suspension on that play?

34. slapshot777 says:

I am done paying another cent to the NHL. Fu*k them. They can go to hell. This league is bush league and is so corrupt it will never be the same again. The game has been Americanized to the point of no return.

Let’s just play shinny hockey, no hitting, no slapshots, the winner of the next Stanley Cup will be voted on during each summer so that all the suspense can be taken out so that we know right from the get go who the winner is.

The habs will be notified that they are targeted to be the NHL whipping team for the next century. The owners and management will take it up the a$$ and do nothing because they know that they have a bunch of suckers like us who will pony up what they tell us to pony up. Then laugh about it behind closed doors.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

35. HABSsince92 says:

MaxPac no history of dirt hits, suspensions gets 3 games.
    Lucic a known dirty player, repeat offender gets 0 games for running Miller?

I hate the NHL what a f’n joke Bettman, Jacobs, Campbell, Shanahan are absolute garbage!

The Scott Gomez line………..where wingers go to die.

36. Ali says:

37. TINMAN17 says:

As an American, I gotta tell you it looks anti-Canadian to me.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

38. Chrisadiens says:

Not surprised really. I was prepared for 10 games. Im glad he only got 3. The league is obviously rigged. I wish I wasn’t so addicted to the sport, so I could just move on to something else.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

39. jimmy shaker says:

This just in from the league and it’s players……The NHL is no longer a checking friendly league! Any body contact at all will result in a penalty and/or possible fine/suspension! To every sally that agrees with this decision, quickly get up from where you are (don’t forget your purse’s) and go and clean the yellow shite stains off your back!

Shaker

40. HABSsince92 says:

Where would the NHL and Bettman be without the Habs? Non existent yet they hate the Habs. No other sports league has such a huge bias against 1 team like the NHL has with the Habs and the favoritism to the Pens, Bruins, Leafs is criminal. F*** you Shanahan, Bettman, Campbell, Bruins, Leafs. You all suck!

The Scott Gomez line………..where wingers go to die.

41. sampson12 says:

bullspit.
    BULLLLLLLLLLSPITTTTT.
    I didn’t like the hit and I don’t disagree that a suspension was warranted, but a little consistency please! One game would have made sense here, but to see certain things go unpunished and then for Max to get THREE games… doesn’t make sense.
    bull. spit.

42. TOP DAWG says:

You tell em!

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

43. cuzzie says:

C’mon Geoff enough of this corporate decorum. Time to Raise some Hell!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

44. HabFab says:

Shanahan’s reasoning;
    2 games for hit on Letang + 1 bonus game for being a Hab = 3 games for surviving Chara’s hit….how do you like them apples??

45. theox_8 says:

shanny is a joke , no different than campbell. No Hit League thats what they should re-name this circus bush league. Warning to all players, if your four inches taller or more than the player your going into hit, just stop and turn around because it will be considered a head shot!! I thought this was hockey not ringette!

46. So the criteria that absolved Malone on his hit on Campoli is not applicable to Pacioretty when he hits a player changing position at the last second.

This “principle point of contact” stuff is bullcrap. When a player moves into a shooting motion, the head drops a good 10 inches. Pacioretty, or any player for that matter, cannot anticipate that late into a bodycheck motion, that a player will go to a shooting crouch.

47. habsnation says:

I figured he would get a game because he got Letang’s head, but 3 is a complete joke. You cannot possibly say that this incident was the same as what Deveraux did and that is was more than 3 times worse what Lucic did running Miller. There was no intent to injure, he made a mistake and hit Letang’s head and so yes, maybe 1 game is deserved. However compared to the other decisions made by the league with regards to suspensions lately, this is an unfair amount of games to give Max

48. LizardKing1967 says:

I never thought I would say this. I give up on the NHL. Complete horsespit. How could they have double standards. Lucic and Malone deserved suspensions just as much as Max. Why the inconsistancy? The NHL has become a f$%@%@ing joke. They will be the laughing stock of the sports world. This is truly a travesty.
    Yes, Max did deserve a suspension, as it was a “blind side hit to the head”, and although he had no intention, it is still a rule. SO WHY DID MALONE GET OFF SCOTT FREE ON CAMPOLI!!!! What the hell are they doing at NHL central? smoking dope?
    Really. I give up on this bush league.
    They either get 100% consistant, abolish the instigator rule, or soon they will lose ALL their fans.
    Gary Buttman you r an A**H***!
    Man I wish we could get our sport back.

The Cup is coming home! (not in this bush league)

I BELIEVE!

• LizardKing1967 says:

Gee, Max gets three games. I guess if Scott Stevens was still playing, he’d be suspended every fourth game! What kind of p**** hockey players are they trying to breed. IT’S A CONTACT SPORT! yes, stop the cheap shots, BUT OPEN ICE BODY CHECKS WORK!
      Man, since the instigator rule came in, no one has respect for each other any more. Cheap shot after cheap shot, and then when a player actually lays on a good check, it belies the rules they had to create to stop any CONTACT!
      b***s***

The Cup is coming home!

I BELIEVE!

• slapshot777 says:

This is where it really gets fu*ked up. Shanahan earlier this season when asked about those Stevens hits said they were all perfectly legal. So Shanahan must have sucked so much bog water it has his brain fried.

Shanahan is now and will be forever a di^k Licker.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Captain aHab says:

You’ll be back for the next game.

• LizardKing1967 says:

nope. gave up dude. after 35 years of watching the sport I love, I see it no longer exists any more. it’s extinct.

The Cup is coming home!

I BELIEVE!

49. Michael says:

I think this was the right call. I understand the frustration regarding Chara, but Shanahan has no blood on his hands for that one. He did screw up the Malone call, doubtlessly, and even though I think what Lucic did to Miller should be legal, it isn’t, so he probably should have been suspended too. But two (or three) wrongs don’t make a right. Blowing calls in the past doesn’t mean you should intentionally blow future calls.

• G-Man says:

Your post blows.

• Aybara says:

I agree with everything except your view on Lucic’s attempt to injure Miller.

• Michael says:

I’m the last guy in the world that I ever expected to be sitting here defending Lucic, but…

He was skating fast because he was chasing a potential breakaway. His skates were down on the ice, in gliding position. He body-checked him. It was not a head-shot. I actually didn’t even know until that happened that you are not allowed to check a goalie who is out of the crease and carrying the puck. In my opinion, it is tough to conclude that was an attempt to injure. Apparently, though, that falls under the charging rule (which seems to come very close in its wording to outlawing body-checking altogether). I just don’t understand why a goalie should be allowed to leave his crease and play the puck without being subject to body-checks.

Great, defending a Bruin. I feel dirty.

• Keiran says:

I don’t see how you can get away with giving a goalie, arguably the most important player on the team, a concussion, which the goalie had to sit out games for, and give a three game suspension to a player who broke Letang’s nose, and Letang was able to come back in the same game, and missed no games prior to the “injury”.

50. deuce6 says:

…and they decide to get the right call this time…Coincidence?

BS

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

51. Captain aHab says:

Look he deserved a suspension and I’ll tell you what it does: it will put even more pressure on Shanahan, should a hit like this be put on a Hab, to finally do something. Our Smurfs should all be happy about this. I’m also now fully expecting that anyone who does this, first timer or not, will be suspended. If not it’ll be even more ridiculous.

The guys who can’t be happy about this are stars and their owners. Pacioretty is one of our top players and he still got nailed. The bar has been set at 3 games for a first timer. I’ll be fully expecting that a repeat offender will get nailed hard too. Man I would have loved to have heard the convo between PG and Shanny. File it boys….no use getting mad about it. Now if the Bruins get away with one similar to this again, then all bets are off.

52. shrack says:

Shanahan is running a kangaroo court! What a load of F**KING BU**S**T!!!

53. dallyd31 says:

so how do you explain this…really ? Lucic almost decapitates Miller and get nothing , Malone almost takes Campoli’s head off and gets nothing, Chara breaks Patches neck, and gets nothing, but Max Pax gets 3 games for what is a marginal hit…and afirdt time offenderbat that. This is proof that there is clear bias in this bush league.

54. slapshot777 says:

I always said the NHL was corrupt and this is just one more piece of evidence that goes to prove it. Whatever it is with Bettman he is in the Jeremy Jacobs pocket. He doesn’t care about any canadian teams and he thoroughly hates the Habs with a vengenace.

Like I said earlier, Molson wants to withold any money that he is suppose to pay the league, let Jacobs pony over the shortages. Without Montreal and Toronto ponying up the major dough this league would be bankrupt. You won’t see another Canadian team win a Stanley Cup until Bettman is run out of office.

Funny how the last Canadian team to win a cup was the Habs and it was the first year on board for Bettman. Anyone seeing a pattern. The list of Cup winners while he has been in as been first and foremost all American teams. The only team that really desrved a cup was Detroit. Look at the list of other winners.

Rangers
    Hurricanes
    Ducks
    Detroit
    Penguins
    Hawks
    Bruins

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Michael says:

The only team that deserved to win was Detroit? That is completely insane. Every one of those teams deserved to win except Boston and maybe Anaheim. Boston should have lost Chara for the season and Horton should have been suspended in game 7 against Tampa for assaulting a fan (they won 1-0 on his goal). Anaheim gooned it up but the league did suspend Pronger twice during that Cup run.

55. doogie says:

And the play was offside at the blueline.

56. Propwash says:

Seems to have forgotten that Pax is taller than Letang.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I know WHY ??? Max gets 3 and Malone gets 0
    …Max ain’t IRISH !!!
    …ONLY reason I can ‘logically’ t’ink of

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

58. olematelot says:

Absolutely no consistency with these rulings. Players wearing black and gold get a free pass, others not so much

59. Curtis O Habs says:

What is the penalty for the Penguins for not following the N.H.L. concussion protocol? The act of shooting the puck did so significantly change the position of the head. Not in a north/south position , but rather in a east/ west manner, BOZO!

60. 86ontheice says:

I’m not surprised. Too bad as the Hab’s really need him. Wouldn’t hurt so bad if Chara, Lucic and Malone had met the same fate! Frustrating!1

61. axxerd says:

Can someone please explain to me how the hit Max laid on Letang, equals the same suspension as the one by Deveaux?

What happened to all the talk about a player changing position immediately before contact? When Max lined him up, Letang wasn’t hunched over shooting the puck. What happened to extent of injury and it’s impact on the suspension?

I thought Max would get 1 game based on the fact the hit went awry and hit him in the head, and the fact that this is the Habs…and as such, borderline hits that could be interpreted one way or another would end not in our favour. With that said…three games. Wow. What a farce this league is.

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

62. chilli says:

You guys are all idiots. Letang’s nose broke – obviously a head hit. Shanny got it right this time. He got the others wrong. Esp. Lucic.

Tre

• JIMVINNY says:

And Miller’s concussion proves that no head contact was made in that case. Oh wait…

Yeah. Nice try.

• chilli says:

I said he got the others wrong – and that of course, would include Miller. If you don’t see that this is precisely the sort of blindside hit the NHL has said they want to crack down on, then I can’t help u in your delusion.

Tre

• TINMAN17 says:

As one of the idiots, I’ll tell you what everyone is really pissed about, the lack of consistency and the duration of the suspension as he is a first timer. It appears to us “idiots” that things are decidedly skewed against this team.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• G-Man says:

Your village is missing you.

63. doogie says:

I thought it was just my Presbyterian upbringing. No, Habs are getting screwed again. Hardly fair! No call at ice level, are you F kidding me?

64. handyg says:

I’m furious with this BS!!

Lucic gets nothing for steam rolling Miller (and later laughs about it on radio in Boston), Malone gets nothing for pretty much the same hit on Campoli, Chara gets nothing for nearly killing Pacioretty – but Shanahan decides to make an example of Max instead.

Disgusting, bush league garbage …

65. habs1966 says:

Shanahan=Campbell. Nothing ever changes in the NHL. Bettman & gang MUST go!!!

66. Aybara says:

He deserved 3 games. It clearly wasn’t that Pac targeted the head, but he hit his head and it should be 3.

What is complete BS is that other players doing the same thing don’t get the same punishment. Unbelievable inconsistency on the part of this bush league.

• Arune Singh says:

Agreed.

I’m more mad that there’s no consistency in the league, not that Max was suspended.

Thank You Saku. Thank you Halak. Thank you to all who wear the CH.

• longtimehabsfan says:

That’s the problem I have — lack of a consistent message to the players. It was a dangerous hit. The league needs to be consistent on it or someone is going to get killed.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

67. V.I.P. SportsWeb© says:

I have lost ALL faith in Shannahan!

Tune in to V.I.P. SportsWeb on http://www.vipinternetradio.com for all your sports talk!

68. G-Man says:

repeated from earlier thread.

I believe I am vindicated.
    Like I said, if you receive the hit and wear the CH, the hitter receives no suspension. If the hitter wears the CH, he will be suspended.
    Shanahan, you are now a bigger joke than the rectum you replaced.

69. Black Jacques Halak says:

What a load of BS. I am done. NHL is bush league and just doesn;t f-ing get it. Shanny plays faves too it seems. DOne Bye Bye. F- them all from the refs the league etc… What a load of fing crap…

70. TOP DAWG says:

I have no use for that SOB Shanhan. He is so full of Sh!t. The NHL is a Highly paid bush league.

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

71. Habfan10912 says:

The league is a joke. WWE and roller Derby aren’t is bad as this joke of a league. Mr. Molding? Where are you?

72. Propwash says:

I wonder what Shanascam’s excuse will be for this one.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

73. Fargo Habs Fan says:

We all knew it was coming. Still the double standard is truly embarrassing.

-Dustin-

74. cuzzie says:

F Them All!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

75. saskhabfan says:

now,now,E1 is just upset because when he went for his hair cut they charged him extra for the oil change.

76. stevieboy says:

B.S = Brendan Shanahan.

Just saying

Stevie

77. slychard says:

Shanny was not in charge when Max was almost decapitated…just saying.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

78. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Campoli is out from a knee injury from the start of the reg. season, not the Malone “hit”.
    ____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

79. Everlasting1 says:

I just find it strange. A series of posts deleted, yet yours remains. Interesting.

——————————————————————-
    Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

80. Everlasting1 says:

Who you talking to? A wall?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

81. habs-hampton says:

You’re missing the point. I agree with the suspension on Max. It’s the inconsistency. Sometimes you CAN make the head the primary target (Malone on Campoli). That’s why most people have a problem with it.

Time’s up, JM must go!

82. hdcase says:

I can see your point, I hadn’t seen the Malone on Campoli hit. It’s really splitting hairs but I think Shanahan thinking goes like this, we’re talking about the NHL here, people are going to get hit and hit hard. It wouldn’t be hockey without the physical contact. The Malone hit on Campoli hit is similar to the hit Patrice Bergeron took, they put themselves into a dangerous position. I’m not saying it was Camploi or Bergeron’s fault that they got hurt, I’m saying it’s a mitigating factor when you’re talking about punishment.

hdcase