Therrien won’t reveal Habs’ lineup until game time (with locker-room videos)

The Canadiens and Bruins held morning skates in Boston ahead of Game 1 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series Thursday night (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Bruins hit the ice at 10:30 a.m., followed by the Canadiens at 11:30 a.m. The Canadiens’ morning skate was an optional with Max Pacioretty the only player absent. Coach Michel Therrien also wasn’t on the ice.

“It’s an optional practice and I took the option, too,” Therrien told reporters in Boston, adding that Pacioretty was fine.

After the skate, Therrien said he wouldn’t reveal his starting lineup until just before game time.

“We’re playing against the best team,” Therrien told reporters. “Underdog or not, the Boston Bruins are the best team in the league right now. We understand that it’s a huge challenge not only for us, but for all of the teams that play them. They finished in first place and it was well-deserved. We’re confident, though. I like the way that we finished the year. That gave us the confidence we needed coming into the playoffs. We had a really good first round. The way that we played in the first round gave us confidence for the next step.”

You can listen to Therrien’s morning press conference by clicking here.

Brad Marchand did not take part in the Bruins’ morning skate with coach Claude Julien saying only: “He took his option.”

Daniel Paille took Marchand’s spot on the second line at the skate. Paille, who has been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury in the final regular-season game, will be a game-time decision on whether he plays.

Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked by reporters in Boston after the morning skate if there is a little extra emotion in the locker room after some time off.

“I think it would be the same no matter what,” he said. “Guys are excited just being in the playoffs so the day before or two days before that, I think everybody is just looking forward to getting it started.”

Julien was also asked about Milan Lucic maturing and becoming a focal point of a playoff series.

“It just means he’s doing his job,” Julien said. “He is a physical player, a good player and if the attention is towards him, that means he’s doing his job.”

Listen to the audio of Julien’s morning press conference by clicking here.

Here’s how the Bruins’ lines and defence pairings looked:

Lucic – Krejci – Iginla
Paille – Bergeron – Smith
Florek – Soderberg – Eriksson
Caron – Campbell – Thornton

Chara – Boychuk
Meszaros – Hamilton
Bartkowski – Krug

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

(Morning skate locker-room videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell in Boston)

Guy Lafleur gives his series pick (video by The Gazette’s Allen McInnis)

Habs, Bruins talk discipline and emotion ahead of Game 1, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Series preview, NHL.com

Team dentist keeps Habs smiling, by Brenda Branswell

Inside Price vs. Rask, NHL.com

Bruins goal vs. Habs: Just play hockey, bostonbruins.com

Bruins-Canadiens rivalry never gets old, Boston Globe

Bruins’ Lucic lives for this stuff, Boston Herald

1. D Mex says:

It’s a happy day in Mex-land.
    Our younger son was selected in the WHL entry draft today – won’t bore HI/O with details beyond Eastern Conference / Central Division, and we are just super pleased for him.
    All we need now is for the Habs to do the right thing in beantown, and we’ll rate this a totally perfect day !
    :-D

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

2. Danno says:

No Live Blog yet?

Wassup with The Boone?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. johnnylarue says:

Is Boone a game-time decision today? Where the eff is my Live Blog!?!

Edit: this had better be because he’s still working on the mother of all Photoshop jobs…

4. habcertain says:

The Flower predicts Habs in 6, the Gods have spoken, let his will be done.

• frontenac1 says:

I’ve been calling that for three days now too! Damn, I love Guy! He had the Mojo amigos. Saw him in action at Thursday”s a few times.back in the “70”s.The gals couldn’t get enough of him. A True Classic.

5. Seps says:

Anyone know whether the games will be shown inside/outside the Bell Centre kind of like Maple Leaf Square does, or is it just bars?

6. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The reason why bottom six scoring is so important is that they play against the weaker D-men. The Habs have to take advantage of guys like Mezaros and Krug. Krug cost the Bruins one game in the finals last year. Hopefully Moen doesn’t ruin the Briere-Weise chemistry.

Don’t understand why MT does not want to announce his line-up. It is not as if the Bruins are ever going to change theirs. I guess he does not want any second guessing before the game starts.

7. piper says:

I predict bruins in 5. Just too big and strong for this version of the Habs. But still a good year for the Habs.
    If they do happen to beat the Bruins though they can go all the way.

8. Paz says:

I think Murray should dress tonight. If Murray doesn’t dress against Boston why did we sign him?

9. RockinRey says:

HIO to Boone come in Boone!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

10. Maritime Ronn says:

@ uce

I understand your well placed concern that Moderators and Administrators should moderate, “…the posts asking that a Bruins be maimed or disfigured”
    Well stated.

…Yet, am I allowed to call Chara, a Nephilim?
    ( Dunboyne Ireland Mike will enjoy this)

Some Background:
    The Nephilim in the Biblical Old Testament, were the offspring of Evil Fallen Beings and human women that produced a series of highly Warped Humans of Giant size with brawn, yet without high brain function.

One of those, was the Giant Goliath – that was slain by a small person named David.
    Remember the epic battle of David and Zdeno…I mean, Goliath?

Legend has it that a person of small stature such as David slayed the Giant Goliath ….and Legend also has it that David wore “51” on his back, and a CH on the front of his war torn shirt.

11. Grabbed The Cup says:

Here’s hoping that since the starting lineup hasn’t been ‘Officially’ announced, Bournival is in. Lots of talk from MT about playing ‘our’ game, starting Bournival backs that up.

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…agree with You, as most of Us are, on Bournival being the way I want to see My Habs play

…yet, Therrien has been doing well ignoring most of Our suggestions so far

…to Our significant frustration :)

• Grabbed The Cup says:

Yeah there’s a consensus on that point, how about the bottom D pair? Murray in for cube?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m of the ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ mind-set

…I would not tamper with the Tampa line-up

…see the result, and adjust from there

• LizardKing12 says:

I really liked the way Bournival played in round one and I agree that his style of play fits right in with ‘our’ game. That being said I understand the logic behind inserting Moen into the lineup. Moen is one of the best defensive forwards on the team and is one of our best PKers.

Our PK struggled a bit in round one and the Bruins were firing on all cylinders on their PP. The special teams battle will be important. The Habs scored the most 5-on-5 goals per game in round one and the Bruins barely scored more than one 5-on-5 goal per game. Their PP on the other hand was clicking at over 37% and accounted for nearly 50% of their goals in round 1. The Habs will need to continue their recent even strength scoring success and limit the Bruins PP if they want to move on. Inserting Moen in the lineup makes sense if we are looking to neutralize their PP.

12. RockinRey says:

Big game tonight! Start fast. Take he crowd out of it. Roll 4 . Aggressive forecheck. Bring it on!!! Effort like v Tampa and I will be happy!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

13. on2ndthought says:

Biggest Habs surprise of the first round not named Rene?
    The sound defensive play of little DaveyD. He backchecked like a demon in all three zones, broke up plays with sound positioning and broke out the puck quickly. If he and Bourque are able to continue this improved play we really can match those despicable booins.

“a cannonading drive”

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…less than a couple hours before game time and no Blog thread yet

…somebody go sober up Boone, dress him and call him a cab to the Bell Centre will ya please ?

…I’m getting antsy

15. Habilis says:

I don’t hate a lot of thing in this world. Racism, intolerance and ignorance all make the list, but really those are all the same thing. I kind of hate the Leafs, but it’s really more of a strong dislike with a dash of pity thrown in.

But the Bruins… just barf. They are everything that’s wrong with hockey today (to be clear, I don’t think there is a ton wrong, but they epitomize what is). A big strong team that dives and cheap shots every chance they get. With that lineup, they could just play solid, tough hockey like the Kings do. But they don’t. They spear, they embellish, they cheat constantly and yet they have the audacity to complain about other team’s players to the media.

I hate them and everything they represent.

Go Habs Go.

16. SPATS says:

You probably already heard, but…

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

17. on2ndthought says:

What are the chances MT pulls a fast one and starts Budaj?

“a cannonading drive”

18. Butterface says:

I think this means that John Tortorella can retire and start the Media Relations company he has always wanted.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

19. adamkennelly says:

In Cancun for a wedding – skipping rehearsal dinner to watch the game…entirely justified.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would 100% agree.

• frontenac1 says:

Mas Tequilla amigo! Viva La Revolucion! Los Habs Para Siempre!

• secretdragonfly says:

Unless you’re the groom (and even then, c’mon who plans their wedding during the playoffs?):)

• Habilis says:

CONFIRMED

If anyone gives you grief, you’re allowed to punch them in the neck. That’s the rule.

• ABHabsfan says:

Who needs to rehearse having dinner anyway?

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• RockinRey says:

adamkennelly- @You dont have to answer to anyone except the wake-up call tomorrow!

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Rugger says:

Our daughter is getting married Sunday – Rehearsal is during Sat. game. Right now I am 2/3 done making 250 cupcakes (instead of a cake) Trying to get them done before the game starts – frost them tomorrow (and a special one with CH on it for my traitor Bruin fan daughter!)

20. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good night, HIO.
    Hitting the scratcher for 2 hours — see you after midnight GMT.
    GHG!

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Time to stop doubting the Bruins. Do the Habs even have a shot?–by Allan Muir

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

22. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Torts snuffed! Sign him up for Coaches Corner! Torts and Grapes with Andi keeping the peace! Saludos!

23. Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve been leery about visiting TSN’s attempt at a Grantland or Hot Clicks, if only because I hate the hard sell they’re subjecting me to, as adept as I am at skipping over commercials. But earlier on someone linked to their article about the history of the Bruins-Canadiens rivalry, and all I have to say is that they obviously don’t know what ‘annotated’ means.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

24. Mr_MacDougall says:

Here’s the battles I’m excited for..
    Just random matchups that could determine the outcome of the series

Plek vs Krejci
    Subban vs Chara
    Price vs Rask
    Patch vs Lucic
    Vanek vs Iginla
    Markov vs Hamilton
    Gallagher vs Marchand
    DD vs Bergeron

The rest is depth….

Seems pretty even, Habs look great in there matchups.. Emilen vs Lucic will be a war…. I feel awful for wanting to see Lucic stretched off….

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• ABHabsfan says:

The X-factor in terms of match-ups is Bork. The Bruins don’t have a 3rd line guy that can play the way he did in the first round. I hope that version of Bork found his way to Boston, along with the new and improved version of Eller.
      Match-ups are all tight until Eller-Borque- Gionta line against Eriksson, Soderberg, Florek. Big advantage for Habs here IMO if these guys play the way they did in the 1st round. Who the heck is Florek anyway? Didn’t he coach the Caps back in the 80’s?

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

25. Mr_MacDougall says:

Joe Thornton takes far too much heat. Neither Nabakov or Niemi played better than their counterpart in any series loss.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…yes, but it’s Joe Thornton that has been ‘the constant’ in these el-foldos Mac

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Marceau was there longer, and had the “C” taken away..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Marleau

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…no doubt both are tied together …but ‘expectations for Thornton far exceeded those of most for Marleau

…Thornton was shipped-off by Boston for this very same perception as someone soft when the going got tough

…in the Olympics he participated he was surrounded by others with outstanding leadership

…but it seems his ability to leadership of a club team is limited

• Butterface says:

They’ve both been quiet.

***********************
            If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
            ***********************

• Butterface says:

Marleau and Marceau that is.

***********************
            If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
            ***********************

• johnnylarue says:

Oooooh! Beauty, Butterface. ;)

• frontenac1 says:

Big Joe wass shipped out of Beantown for the exact same reason. Disappears in the show.

• Chris says:

Complete and utter nonsense. Thornton has had the grand total of 3 bad playoff trips in his 14 trips to the playoffs: his rookie season (0 points in 6 games) was understandable, as was his 0 points in 7 games in 2003-04, as he was playing that series with torn rib cartilage, a horrifically painful injury for a hockey player. Finally, he had a relatively unproductive playoff in this year’s playoffs, with just 3 points in 7 games.

The “disappears in the show” comment for Thornton is an oft-repeated but completely baseless comment. One player can’t carry a team. Thornton has played at a point-per-game pace while being a handful for opposing team’s throughout most of his playoff career.

Every player in the NHL should be happy to have “disappeared” as much as Thornton has. Thornton is pretty typical…he is good to very good in most seasons, with a few runs of lacklustre play. It has happened to Datsyuk, Toews, Crosby, and Bergeron. It happened to Ron Francis, Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, and Jaromir Jagr.

Winning in the playoffs is a team gig. Thornton, like Sundin and Koivu, has simply had the misfortune of being the face of some good but always fatally flawed teams.

• GrosBill says:

Agree with most of this. BUT-

Comparing him to Sundin and Koivu seems a stretch to me though. SJ has had some great teams and has consistently finished as a top seeded team. Better than the Leafs or Habs teams Koivu and Sundin played most of their careers with.

SJ has burned me in more playoff pools than any other team by a huge margin in the last 10 years.

Thorton with Bos was also an excellent team and top seed.

He was not a Dionne stuck on a crappy team.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…it’s solely the word ‘utter’ I take exception too Chris :)

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

@SweetMad

…yes, a little too sensitive Madeleine

…growing-up in Montreal, Our family spent Our summers at Cape Cod and in Boston

…I think most Montrealers have fond feelings for New Englanders and a feeling it is an extension of Our ‘backyard’

…like that human competitive instinct We have within brothers and sisters, We use hockey to hit each other upside Our heads

…don’t ‘hate’, …I simply ‘despise’ their hackey team :)

27. Un Canadien errant says:

Moderators, administrators, everyone:

Can we back off the posts asking that a Bruins be maimed or disfigured or other such treatment please? I dislike the Bruins as much as the next guy, they’re just one rung down from the Nordiques, but again, to advocate violence or bloodshed shouldn’t be something we do. That leaves us at the same level as those we fulminate against.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…see above Normand :)

…and, My apology for the :)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…there is no other NHL team I ‘despise’ more than the Philthydelphia Phlyers

…yet, at a conference in Thailand I met this fellow attendee from Philthydelphia

…naturally, I wasted little time announcing to him that I was from Montreal and a rabid Habs Fan …further noting not too delicately I revile his Phlyers

…for the rest of the week-long conference We were inseparable …hitting the bars and motor-cycling together …whilst exhorting Our mutual revulsion of each other’s hockey teams :)

• shiram says:

Funny as many Flyers are jumping on the Habs bandwagon now that they have been eliminated.
            It’s the Danny B connection.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Phlyers fans cheering for the Habs …now I’ve heard ‘everything’

…this proves to Me that NOTHING is IMPOSSIBLE in this Life :)

• Cal says:

Yes, but we despise them and want to see awful things happen to them. ;)

• JohnBellyful says:

Sheesh, UCE, that bit about Montreal oozing confidence, Boston oozing blood, it was all exaggeration.
      I’m not really hoping for the blood to ooze. Honest.
      I can’t speak for the NHL, though.

28. Danno says:

Chara is already on his way to the game

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

29. shiram says:

Vancouver CanucksVerified account ‏@VanCanucks

John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan have been relieved of their coaching duties. http://ow.ly/wntra pic.twitter.com/x1tm8FjJ1N

Had not seen it posted yet.

30. Forum Dog says:

Off topic, and not sure if its been discussed already, but Halak traded to Isles for a 4th rounder:

I think this is a good deal for the Isles if they can get him signed. They obviously need some stability in nets, and Halak should be able to provide it. He does not have the attributes one looks for in a “franchise” goalie, but he’s performed very well with each team he has played for (career GAA/SV% of 2.38/.918) and can probably help the Isles for the next 2-3 years.

Always liked him in MTL (though not at Price’s expense), and the St. Loo situation backfired, so I’m rooting for him to get a chance as a true #1 for while. Hopefully it works out.

• zephyr says:

all of a sudden, many of the moves Gauthier made are turning out well. I think he got a bit of a bum ride in mtl..

• Forum Dog says:

In terms of his personnel decisions, I think that PG did get a bum ride. But his people skills and his approach to PR was horrific. If you look at it purely from a numbers and talent perspective – not so bad. But he turned a lot of people off and poisoned the atmosphere, which was ultimately the reason things went south so fast that season. All IMO of course….

• Cal says:

Gauthier is a good judge of talent. He is, however, lousy at being a human being. (Just like me, by the way, but I won’t take away your cookies.)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good thing for Jaro is that he’s a UFA and doesn’t have to play for the Isles. I remember when Evgeni Nabokov signed with the Red Wings after some time in the KHL, but had to go through waivers and was claimed by the Islanders. He tried to resist, but eventually knuckled under and had to play for Charles Wang. At least Jaro has an option, which is to wait until July, and then give them the finger.

• shiram says:

He’s signed back with the Isles afterwards though.

• Forum Dog says:

This is true, but the Isles have some interesting pieces and there won’t be much competition for the job. Not saying that they are suddenly going to be contenders, but they were a dark horse playoff team going into this year, and if their young players mature a bit and they can get some consistent goaltending (i.e. from Halak), they could take a step forward. They are also scheduled to move to Brooklyn in 2015-16, which can only help the franchise. It might be the best option Halak has…..

• Chris says:

Wang is looking to sell the franchise, and the move to Brooklyn should reinvigorate that team. As mentioned below, the Isles have some great pieces in place (Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Strome, Hamonic, Hickey) and a bevy of young players (Nelson, Bailey, Lee, Cizikas, Donovan, Mayfield, and De Haan) that could easily take a big step forward in their development.

Throw in some intriguing prospects (Reinhart, Collberg, Pulock, Pokka and a kid that really stood out in the Plymouth-Guelph OHL playoff series this year, Viktor Crus Rydberg…he is a darkhorse pick to see his scoring numbers explode next season in his last year of junior).

The Isles have a lot going for them. They need to sign a couple of veterans to stabilize their D…Matt Greene (who I would like to see Montreal chase) would be a great fit in Brooklyn, in my opinion.

31. UKRAINIANhab says:

“Boston Strong” does Boston know NYC suffered a tragic event yet did no have to make a catchphrase. Pfffttttt

I also wish habs had home ice…

32. Butterface says:

Mr. Emelin has a message for Mr. Lucic.

“Dear Comrade,

Check that your cup is secure and in place.

Spasibo.”

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

33. Habfan10912 says:

I appreciated all of the comments in reference to Bournival vs Moen. I completely understand the logic of Moen being a great penalty killer. That Moen has that much needed veteran presence. That Moen has won a cup and knows what it takes. I get all that. But I’m stupid I guess. If I’m making the decision between these two tonight, Bournival plays. Sorry folks.

I predict that Francis Bouillon will score a hat-trick tonight.

Enjoy the game tonight Folks!

GO HABS GO!!

36. Danno says:

Anyone have tips on making a Bruins Voodoo Doll?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

37. Hobie says:

Thanks for the link Burly, LOL!

Here’s a great pump up video for tonight’s game.