Therrien won’t reveal Habs’ lineup until game time (with locker-room videos)

The Canadiens and Bruins held morning skates in Boston ahead of Game 1 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series Thursday night (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Bruins hit the ice at 10:30 a.m., followed by the Canadiens at 11:30 a.m. The Canadiens’ morning skate was an optional with Max Pacioretty the only player absent. Coach Michel Therrien also wasn’t on the ice.

“It’s an optional practice and I took the option, too,” Therrien told reporters in Boston, adding that Pacioretty was fine.

After the skate, Therrien said he wouldn’t reveal his starting lineup until just before game time.

“We’re playing against the best team,” Therrien told reporters. “Underdog or not, the Boston Bruins are the best team in the league right now. We understand that it’s a huge challenge not only for us, but for all of the teams that play them. They finished in first place and it was well-deserved. We’re confident, though. I like the way that we finished the year. That gave us the confidence we needed coming into the playoffs. We had a really good first round. The way that we played in the first round gave us confidence for the next step.”

You can listen to Therrien’s morning press conference by clicking here.

Brad Marchand did not take part in the Bruins’ morning skate with coach Claude Julien saying only: “He took his option.”

Daniel Paille took Marchand’s spot on the second line at the skate. Paille, who has been sidelined since suffering an upper-body injury in the final regular-season game, will be a game-time decision on whether he plays.

Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked by reporters in Boston after the morning skate if there is a little extra emotion in the locker room after some time off.

“I think it would be the same no matter what,” he said. “Guys are excited just being in the playoffs so the day before or two days before that, I think everybody is just looking forward to getting it started.”

Julien was also asked about Milan Lucic maturing and becoming a focal point of a playoff series.

“It just means he’s doing his job,” Julien said. “He is a physical player, a good player and if the attention is towards him, that means he’s doing his job.”

Listen to the audio of Julien’s morning press conference by clicking here.

Here’s how the Bruins’ lines and defence pairings looked:

Lucic – Krejci – Iginla
Paille – Bergeron – Smith
Florek – Soderberg – Eriksson
Caron – Campbell – Thornton

Chara – Boychuk
Meszaros – Hamilton
Bartkowski – Krug

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

(Morning skate locker-room videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell in Boston)

Guy Lafleur gives his series pick (video by The Gazette’s Allen McInnis)

Habs, Bruins talk discipline and emotion ahead of Game 1, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Series preview, NHL.com

Team dentist keeps Habs smiling, by Brenda Branswell

Inside Price vs. Rask, NHL.com

Bruins goal vs. Habs: Just play hockey, bostonbruins.com

Bruins-Canadiens rivalry never gets old, Boston Globe

Bruins’ Lucic lives for this stuff, Boston Herald

1. Habfan17 says:

Send the $25 grand and have all 5 guys spear him at the same time on the first shift!

Habfan17

2. DipsyDoodler says:

The other favourite “team” of Boston’s redneck class have been in the news over in England.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

3. caseycandaele says:

“Boston-Montreal: An Annotated history of hatred” http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Boston-Montreal%253a%2bAn%2bannotated%2bhistory%2bof%2bhatred&id=450953

Funny, true, and funny.

4. Mavid says:

4 hours ….Buck the Fruins

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

5. Danno says:

ME WANT HOCKEY!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

@Hobie, I think you will love this Hockey Commercial.

7. Butterface says:

The Bruins ain’t nothin’ but a coffee and a muffin and I eat that for breakfast.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

8. Maritime Ronn says:

No doubt the guys are going to be somewhat (?) rusty for the 1st period.
    Habs need to get through/survive that.

Some bad passes, missed shots, missed checks and assignments – maybe even a questionable goal, should all be given a Mulligan.

Practices – a simulated no-hitter scrimmage, is nothing compared to a TD Gardens, Game 1 playoff game against some combination of rabid animals, and DNA offspring descendants of Cro Magnum and Neanderthal man…along with Nephilim Chara.

As for the rest of them, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said it best:
    ” I almost want to put some of these faces next to pictures of farm animals.”

• Habfan17 says:

I would say that is a fair assessment! The Bruins may have a bit of rust too! I will go out on a limb and say the game will get off to a fast start and since I expect at least one big hit in the first minute or two, it will end up being a fast paced period.

Habfan17

• johnnylarue says:

True, Ronn–and I’d say the rust will be a factor for both sides. Bruins have been off for quite a while now, too.

The small part of me that believes in minor miracles sees the elimination of Philly, St. Louis and San Jose as a sign that the stars just might be aligning for the Habs this year.

This round will be the equivalent of the Nordiques series in ’93–beating the Bruins will give us all kinds of confidence and officially establish this as a “sky’s the limit” post-season.

• Cal says:

The first 10 minutes will be all adrenaline for both sides.

Frankly, I am hoping for a track meet. Chara and Lucy will be gassed after that and will have to play catch up all night.

9. Habfan17 says:

On another note, there won’t be any speculation as to the Habs signing Jagr. He has resigned with the devils!

Habfan17

10. Dr.Rex says:

IF the Habs stick together and trust their abilities then they can slay the dragon.

GO HABS!

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

11. Danno says:

Buck the Fruins!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. CH Marshall says:

Too bad about Halak. He’ll probably sign with Isles just to keep an nhl job.

On another note, it’s time for PK to go BEAST MODE and take over

13. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    …….ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ……

◉‿◉
    Go Habs Go

⁂((✪⥎✪))⁂
    Go Habs Go

✌(◕‿◕)✌
    Go Habs Go

14. Sean Bonjovi says:

Does H I/O the show actually exist? I can see the thread about it it, But I don’t see any video.

15. habsfan0 says:

Why is Michel Therrien being so coy as to the Habs starting lineup?
    Does he have a major surprise in store?
    Like Budaj starting in goal?

16. Ozmodiar says:

When refs put the whistles away are they really “letting them play”?

Or are they just letting a less skilled sub-segment of players play their game?

When the referees call a few penalties early in a game, I find that it opens things up a bit for the faster, more skilled players. The result is a more entertaining game, IMO.

I think the biggest problem is the culture of NHL Hockey Playoffs being a battle and the best play through it all. The league has stated that it is doing all it can to prevent head injuries, yet find themselves torn particularly at playoff time when there is a perception that playoff players can take it.

I understand letting the ticky tacky calls go, but they still need to call the goalie interference type penalties and they still need to recognize charging, boarding, late hits etc….

Unfortunately the type of refereeing we see is a result of an NHL Head Office which isn’t sure itself what they want. More often than not the teams will end up dictating what kind of game the refs call, lets hope the Habs get the early jump on the Bruins.

Not sure I made any sense in that post, but then again, we are discussing the NHL and how they handle refereeing which is a puzzler at the best of times.

• Ozmodiar says:

Here’s what I’d like to see: consistency

I hate dislike it when I hear “the refs are letting them play”, or “they’re calling a tight game tonight”. The teams should dictate the style/pace of the game based on consistent officiating. The refs shouldn’t decide this.

17. Mattyleg says:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. montrealtilldeath says:

Lars Eller will be huge plus against Boston. Chara has a great deal of difficulty with him because of his size and mobility/ I really like where Bourque is right now but watch Eller. He is going to roll big. As for PK his is a natural big gamer. Therrian has to let him play his game. Over coach this series and we will lose.

19. Ozmodiar says:

5 hours til puck drop.

Anyone angry yet??

20. stevieray says:

I’m sure Boston will be giving it a bit extra tonite when they take the body ..all fine and good but lets hope a injury doesn’t happen because of a elbow to high or a extra stride to make the hit ..if this does happen and the likehood is possible , it will be interesting to see the response either from our Team or the League…
    Just one game out of maybe 7…this will be a war , both teams have had plenty of time to read the papers regarding what is expected of them …
    So Therrian is not releasing his lineup for tonite…I don’t get that as it is the same as what got us here !…well maybe Moen in Bournival out which I think is still a mistake but so be it as either will make a difference in how the series go .

• bwoar says:

For the lineup, I think it has to do with how we deploy the Plekanec line and who is lined up on D. Those would be strategy points (that I can think of offhand) that would be worthwhile forming a gameplan for. That said, I agree that it’s most likely same as it’s been, with Moen in for Bournival.

21. The Jackal says:

Today is the day!
    HIO, whatever happens, lets please not dump on the team if things don’t go that well. We’ve had a great season and it’s not the time to go sour on the team if it loses or has a bad game or whatever. Not that I think we are going to lose, I think we’ll win, but in any case, let’s try and be supportive of the team and get the good vibes going.

There is a branch of scientific study that suggests that human thoughts have “mass” and that they can actually influence the physical world. So let’s get on that train and focus all our thought into the Habs absolutely destroying the B’s, and failing that, let’s send good vibes the team’s way and let em know we have their back.

GO HABS GO!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

22. Dulljerk says:

To me the only way the Habs win this series is if Boston goes ballistic. So…taunt, chirp, hit, score and let the bruins throw punches.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

This is a pretty neat read from Sean Mcindoe. His reasons for picking the Habs and reasons not to are pretty clever.

A good read folks.

24. Mavid says:

Gotta stay off those Boston sites..my blood pressure is already starting to rise..by the time the game starts my head may explode

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

25. sweetmad says:

Going through different threads and sites,I find it disgusting the number of times I read the word hate,the media being one of the biggest culprits.

I would have thought that the City of Boston had, had enough of hate,this is a sports game,why are people trying to make it a war,there are some people who are reasonable and nice,but so many are just totally obnoxious and mean,it’s as bad as hating some one for the colour of their skin,or they wear their hair,thats just as ridiculous.I find it spoils the whole thing for me,I just want to read about hockey.

Both teams will do anything to win,thats what they are paid for,they both try to cheat and make dirty plays or dive,the same as in a war both sides commit atrocities,it is such a waste of time hating,it will never make things better.It is the fact that people take it so lightly when they say the word hate.

Maybe I am oversensative and should put it down to where it comes from,but at my age and seeing the results of fear and hate throughout my life,it really saddens me.

That being said,I hope we skate rings round the Gooins,score on every shot and that CP stops every shot,I want to win as much as anybody else,but I hate nobody.
    GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

• Danno says:

Hate is a big word, it’s true. But is it OK not to love the Bruins? A lot?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• ArmyFan says:

Well said. Good perspective. There’s a difference between ‘edge’ and ‘intensity’, and hating. It is just a word, but words matter, and it conjures up a lot of emotions, which in turn lead to behaviour.

At the end of the day – it’s a sport. Maybe if there was less hate between teams and players, we wouldn’t be seeing the alarming number of head and other injuries resulting from stupid plays.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…yes, a little too sensitive Madeleine

…growing-up in Montreal, Our family spent Our summers at Cape Cod and in Boston

…I think most Montrealers have fond feelings for New Englanders and a feeling it is an extension of Our ‘backyard’

…like that human competitive instinct We have within brothers and sisters, We use hockey to hit each other upside Our heads

…don’t ‘hate’, …I simply ‘despise’ their hackey team :)

26. naweed235 says:

I have a feeling that by the end of this series, we are going to hate that kid Krug the same way we hated Umberger during the flyers series a few years back. This kid is ridiculously good. Small, but has wheels, a bomb of a shot and fantastic passing skills. Let’s hope I’m wrong

27. Say Ash says:

Halak trying to steal the thunder on game day, eh?

28. JUST ME says:

Halak traded to Islanders ! This is sad ! His career is not going in the right direction. The only upside i see to this deal is that the Isles probably will not mind if he takes the net more than 40 games per season. To have a top shape Halak this is how many games you should limit him to but he is getting paid as a number one so…

This morning i was teasing you about Therrien now being confirmed as a better choice than Roy since yesterday , but a friend of mine also made me notice that Briere`s choice was also wiser by a mile compared to Lecavalier`s …

Everything seems to go our way it seems. Cool !

What ? no debate about Torts being fired ? How can you give a guy a 5 year deal and fire him a year after… Unless of course you have been fired before him i guess…

29. Mavid says:

just a little over 4 hours…hehehehe

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

30. Chris says:

And I agree with Dipsy…the officiating in the San Jose-Los Angeles game last night had me dizzy. So many penalties that should have been called that were simply let go.

I’ve noticed this a fair bit the past few years for games involving the Western Conference teams…more infractions seem to be ignored by the referees in those games than what I am used to seeing with Montreal. There was interference all over the ice from both teams, and the refs just let them play. Craziness.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Refs are afraid of Campbell.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Hobie says:

Good luck finding more than a small number of people to agree with that statement. Most like to see the whistles put away, most from Canada anyway.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I can think for myself.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Chris says:

Are you asserting I’m not Canadian, Hobie? I can assure you that I was born, raised and continue to live here. I do so love the childish swipes at people’s nationality when it comes to officiating, physical play or anything else related to hockey.

I am all for the whistles being put away when it is the ticky-tack crap that the refs love to call (and actually continued to call in last night’s game).

But on clear penalties that negate scoring chances (the Kings actually had a glorious scoring chance, a tap-in, wiped out because the Sharks defenceman was allowed to flat out tackle the guy before the pass came), the refs ARE deciding the game.

I find the idea that the refs should put away their whistles so that they don’t decide the game to be so simple-minded. By putting away their whistles, they can (and frequently do) decide games as well.

• Hobie says:

To prove you’re Candaian, get rid of that ridiculous Avatar! The jersey looks terrible, not to mention the horrendous looking helmet! Put a team Canada player up there? Maybe a Habs player from Canada? Maybe a dead Bruin bleeding on the side of the road?

• Chris says:

You think I actually need to prove anything to you? You can believe my assurances or not.

• ebk says:

The penalty that resulted in the Kings first goal was absolutely ridiculous. And the game-winning goal in games 6 was horrific.

NHL referees lack the balls to make calls and therefore the lack of calls becomes the deciding factor in to many games. It must be the way the league wants it though. Which is to bad.

• Chris says:

I can’t remember who was involved on the tap-in attempt, but I think it was Irwin that simply tackled him. It was as blatant of an interference call as I’ve ever seen, and the refs let it go.

That must be incredibly frustrating for the players, because they simply have no idea what the standards are even from period-to-period, let alone game-to-game.

31. Hobie says:

Stubbs just posted the best selling (Anti-Habs) t shirt in Boston.

32. Rad says:

This series will hinge on the play of P.K. Subban. If Subban can keep his emotions in check (as Chris says below), and take a more business-like approach to the series, the Habs can win. If he maintains his composure at all times and, Heaven forbid, keeps his mouth shut and just plays the game, the Habs can win. Every other player on the team has to play well, but IMO Subban will be the difference — he is that good. He is the X-factor.

Those interested in the Sterling/L.A. Clippers story, here is Bill Simmons take on the situation. (FYI, Simmons is a huge bball fan and is a ticket holder and adopted fan of the Clippers)

34. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ghg. Nuf said

35. JohnBellyful says:

Here’s what I’d like to see tonight: Montreal oozing confidence, Boston oozing blood

36. Slackman says:

So has it been mentioned? Halak to the isles for a 4th round pick

37. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Halak to the Brooklyn Islanders? Garth Snow is the Goalie Collector.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Where goalies go to die.

• 24 Cups says:

This summer could set a record for movement of goalies, coaches and GMs.

The Habs are looking pretty good right now with the stability of MB/MT, Carey Price in net and only one truly bad contract of 4M for one season.

I wish the Habs all the best in this series but no matter what happens this year is already a successful one.

24.4 Cups

• Well said Cups!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Kooch7800 says:

I am a non-Briere supporter and have bashed him quite a bit over the year but if he plays the rest of the playoffs like he did in the first round he is worth it for the leadership and depth. I still think he is over paid but this is the time for him to shine

• JF says:

Steve – I agree this year has been a success whatever happens in this series. Since Bergevin took over two years ago, we’ve become bigger, stronger, tougher, and faster. We also have a lot more organizational depth. We are on the way to becoming an elite team, hopefully a team that can remain elite for years. One more successful draft and we should be able to take the next step.

38. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Where’s the live blog? We’re dyin’ here!

• OK Brooklyn, I’m up here in Westchester and looking for a watering hole that’s gonna play the Habs game. I heard crickets from HIO and I’m getting desperate as this is Rangers town. Otherwise, I’ll open my house with the Habs flag flying out front to anyone who finds they need some Habs support here in the NY area. Do you know of any places in the five burroughs?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

39. Chrisadiens says:

McKenzie just tweeted that the NYI are interested in trading with WSH for Halak. Just bizarre. Jaro should just live out of his car.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• ABHabsfan says:

What is more bizarre is that they would trade for a guy who is UFA in 2 months. Then again it is NYI, Snow will probably offer Collberg and a 2nd

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Chrisadiens says:

Trade complete. Conditional draft pick, probably depends on Jaro re-signing with the Isles.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• 24 Cups says:

A 4th round pick seems a bit high to me.

24.4 Cups

Could well be the worst defence he has played behind in his NHL Career (handful of Washington games aside).

• DipsyDoodler says:

2010 Habs.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• 24 Cups says:

Snow is petrified that next year’s first rounder could be a lottery pick that goes to Buffalo. If so, he will go down in history as worst GM ever. He’s going to do everything he can to shore up his team, even if it’s such short term moves.

24.4 Cups

• Strummer says:

Bob Gainey traded for Mats Sundin when he was about to become a UFA.
        The rest is history. If Sundin signs, we don’t need Gomez.
        We still have McDonagh (maybe)

______________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Prop says:

Playoff hero to journeyman.
      Hopefully he’ll find some stability.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

40. DipsyDoodler says:

As a fan who can’t understand why the refs don’t call penalties in the playoffs (Sharks-Kings yesterday was absurd at times), I decided to look up the penalty rate.

In the regular season there were 9092 minor penalties in 1230 games (7.4/game).

In the playoffs so far, 9.6 minor penalties per game.

Just goes to show.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

41. Frank2468 says:

I just called RDS Bellmedia about broadcast rights for next year and from what I was told and understand yes RDS will have regional rights for 60 games and black outs will be in effect. But if you have TVA Sports you will see all 80 games as national. Just that it will be a different set of broadcasters. So no more Tremblay and company they will be on RDS and TVA is currently looking for new broadcast people to do the show. Thats what I know from calling RDS Bell media

Looks like I will be ordering TVA sports next year, thanks Frank!

• Frank2468 says:

If you have Rogers just order the Variétés package it’s $7.00 a month and has RDS RDS2 and RDI TV5 TVA and TVA Sports. I just checked it on my netbox and TVA Sports HD is channel 657

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks Frank. I am with rogers and was buying the Varietes pack every year. I was worried with the new merger that they would be black outs in southern Ontario of the habs games.

I am still really considering the hockeystreams route through my android box so I can get the bulldogs games as well

• Un Canadien errant says:

Frig. Just when I finally figure out a cheap way to get RDS in HD, the quest resumes this summer.

I know people say streaming is the way to go, but my download speeds here in Whistler don’t really allow for HD streaming, so I have to get cable.

Would the solution be to purchase a Bell satellite dish and get a Québec billing address, but install it here? Does that work, or is there a way that my ruse will be uncovered?

42. joeybarrie says:

Made the playoffs in a year where a lot (NOT ME) expected the Leafs to be better and us fight for a spot if we were lucky.
    Take down the Lightning 4-0 in the first series.
    7th most wins in the league.
    Filled some holes we had when we crashed out of the playoffs last season despite being 4th in the league in wins……

Yet somehow, i still hear how MT is the worst coach in the league.
    Funny that people were saying how great a coach they had in Nashville when he relied on Bouillon in the playoffs and Frankie LEAD THE TEAM in plus minus….
    Frankie is averaging very similar ice time, a bit less, than he did in Nashville, and by the way, he is still leading his team in plus minus….
    Lots of bashing for 2 guys who have given a lot to this organization… Lots of people who call themselves fans, but only like to complain about stupidity.
    LOTS of people thinking they could do a better job coaching a professional hockey team with ZERO experience. and even less common sense.
    Leave it to the professionals to make these decisions.
    Its astonishing to me we hold people like Scotty Bowman in such high regard, but bash the very people he helped pick to lead his team to the Stanley Cup.
    Maybe a guy like Serge Savard who has what? 10 cup rings? knows a bit more than some bloggers like me about who to pick for Coach and GM. (Dont think he didnt discuss the coaching philosophy with potential GMs)
    A guy who has a ring with the Blackhawks probably knows a thing or two as well. And so far he is doing a great job.

So keep up the bashing, but it seems ridiculous to me.

GO HABS GO.

Here are some links related to tonight’s game from the Bruin perspective.

24.4 Cups

44. Chris says:

My keys to the series:

1. The Habs have to score more than the Bruins in 4 of the games. If they do that, they will win the series.

That’s pretty much all of them. :)

Less sarcastically

1. The match-up that is going to determine this series is Marchand-Bergeron-Smith vs. Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher. When the Bruins are unbeatable, it is generally because the Bergeron line simply torches the opposition. Plekanec plays the same role as Bergeron, but his playoff scoring has historically been lower. If he can continue to generate chances and his linemates can continue to get some goals, that will go a long way to neutralizing the Bruins’ biggest weapon, second-line scoring.

2. Obviously, the resurgence of Rene Bourque and Lars Eller needs to continue. The Bourque-Eller-Gionta line gives the Habs the kind of deep third line that led the Bruins to the Stanley Cup in 2011. They have the size and speed to match up well against any Bruins line and not be pushed around…they don’t necessarily need to match their scoring heroics of the first round, but they need to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

3. Price needs to play well. This I say not because I think his play will dictate whether the Habs win (he can’t score goals), but he’s at a career cross-roads, turning 27 later this summer. If the Habs lose this round, you can probably bet your house that Price will carry “regular season performer” as a label, despite his Olympic gold medal. The Tampa Bay series was not really his test, although winning that round helps get the monkey off his back. This is the series that is going to go a long way towards setting his legacy: he needs to be lights out, or the questions and whispers and doubts are going to get a whole lot louder. Roberto Luongo learned that an Olympic gold medal does not protect you from those criticisms…only Stanley Cups can do that, as unfortunate and unfair as that is.

4. The power play has got to produce. The Bruins are the best team in the NHL at killing penalties, and they have repeatedly showed the rest of the NHL how to neutralize Subban and Markov by charging them as soon as they get the puck. The Bruins are a relentless team 5-on-5, but they do take penalties and you have to make them pay to keep them honest. If the power play not only doesn’t produce but sputters, it emboldens the Bruins into taking more liberties with the Habs key players.

5. Montreal’s players simply must stay out of the penalty box. For whatever reason, the Habs take far more penalties than a team of their construction (speed and mobility) should. This lack of discipline is suicidal against a team as strong as the Bruins. If the Habs get stupid with neutral zone hooking and holding, this is going to be a short series in the wrong direction.

6. Subban needs to keep his emotions in check. He is going to be a target, and he has a tendency to lose his cool too easily. He lost his mind last season against the Senators, and Markov had to calm him down against the Lightning in round 1. Now we’re playing the Bruins, and there is so much noise around Subban in the background. He needs to ignore it and play a simple, smart game. The opportunities will come…he is far too good of a player to not get his chances to create or exploit scoring chances. But this series is a marathon, not a sprint. I’m not sure if Subban will ever be wired to taking a long-term view of a game, but this would be a great time to practice that skill.

• krob1000 says:

The Bruins have several players who are vulnerable to temper tantrums…even better yet is the fact their most volatile players are also among their best. Any of Chara, Lucic, Marchand and Rask are known to lash out if prodded and poked at. If the Habs can get under the skin of those guys….it will make things very interesting. There are so many different keys but to me…throwing those guys off their game is a necessity….from there anything can happen.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Some subtle antagonism towards the four players you mention could definitely make a big difference. As long as 1,2,3,4, and 5 come through. Especially 3. PK played a simple and smart game in round one and I expect him to do the same against the Bruins.

• Chris says:

Subban calmed it down in Games 3 and 4, but he was a little wild in Games 1 and 2. I just worry about his tendency to get caught in the heat of the moment.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Pk’s heat is intimately connected to his success as a player. I think we’ll see him at his best.

• Chris says:

I think guys like Gallagher, Prust and the fourth line should carry that role of trying to needle the opponents. Subban needs to stay away from it and just play hockey.

Rask is a wild-card…his temper is mostly in tune with his play. Get some goals on him, and he’s going to be lash out.

Marchand doesn’t really strike me as a guy with a temper…he’s just a Grade A clown on the ice. He’s probably the best (worst?) super-pest in the NHL.

Chara does have a temper, and he does have a tendency to get stupid when he’s hot and bothered. Unfortunately, he’s also demonstrated an ability to cool down relatively quickly and get back to his game. I don’t know that it is worth trying to go out on their way to poke and prod at Chara, as he’s just going to laugh at them like he did Brendan Smith. Like Rask, you get to him most by beating him to score goals.

45. Black Horse says:

Price growing the beard? He has never had one in a NHL playoff series before.

The last time Carey had a beard was when he won the Calder Cup & MVP. Is this a sign?

GO HABS GO …

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

46. Bun E. Laroque says:

Three of the four teams in the East finals have ex-Hab coaches.

47. habsfan0 says:

1st game of round 2 for the Habs.
    Ontario budget.
    Ongoing Rob Ford saga.
    It is a full day.

48. Black Horse says:

COME ON 7:30 ….

Tic Toc … Tic Toc … Tic Toc … Broon Bi-atches look at the clock!
    The Score clock strikes zero
    The Habs the Hero
    Tic Toc … Tic Toc … Tic Toc …

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

49. Pattyice says:

What time should a person get there Ian!

50. Sportfan says:

Lol friend of mine said this in regards to patches not being there
    Conspiracy theory: Pacioretty skipped the optional skate this morning so that people would think he’s nursing an injury, thus drawing the focus of the bruins, opening up vanek and desharnais for playmaking

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

51. knob says:

Ugh, I thought the game time was 7pm tonight. I don’t think that I can withstand another 1/2 hour wait.

52. ABHabsfan says:

I wonder if it has ever happened in the past where a player is nominated as the league’s MVP but not good enough to play for his country? Weird.
    That is far and away the nicest thing I have ever mentioned about a Flyers player. I don’t feel well…

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

53. marvin20 says:

The sad thing with trolls is that they make the same post over and over using different names. Repeating the same boring message does not make it more convincing. Need some new material yawn boring

54. Pattyice says:

Hey guys and gals can I get some thoughts on the best pub to watch the game in Montreal? I flew in last night from Calgary to watch a couple live playoff games for the first time! going to the Saturday game in boston then coming back to the bell centre Tuesday ! But I really would like to know where the best place in Montreal is to watch. A place with great food, beautiful servers , and lively!!!!

55. JUST ME says:

Therrien won’t reveal Habs’ lineup until game time…

The usual spin from HIO to make sure that we can find a way to blame the Habs and/or Therrien. As if it has not been done that way for ages when in playoffs.

I expect to see more changes in the lineup for that serie as we need to adjust our game because the Bruins are a much more challenging bunch than the Lightning.

The key is total commitment and win one in Boston .

LOL, the Rob Ford tree just keeps on giving. Awesome.

57. habs001 says:

The first period in game one could be a key..i seemed to recall many games where in the first period there is little intensity and the Habs do okay…But than the Bruins really rev up their forecheck and the Habs get outchanced but get a goal…The key will be for the Habs to survive the moments in the game where the Bruins are forechecking like wild animals with brutal hits and dominating scoring chances…counter attack goals will be the key…

• JUST ME says:

Although i cannot deny the thruth of your comment i would say that the two first games are key. If we can win one or both, then heads will be spinning in the Bruins locker room…

58. Chris says:

So Crosby, Getzlaf and Giroux got the most votes for the Hart Trophy…not my first three choices.

I would have had Crosby (who should win it), Getzlaf, and my controversial choice would have been Detroit’s Niklas Kronwall. Kronwall was a rock for Detroit, and I can’t imagine where the Red Wings would have been without him. They were dealing with major injuries to their key players (Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen all missed 28 games or more) and were working younger players in throughout the line-up (Tatar, Nyquist, Dekeyser, Lashoff, Smith, Sheahan, Jurco, etc.) so his leadership was sorely needed, especially with Zetterberg and Datsyuk missing so much time. Kronwall led his team in scoring from the blue line and he played in every situation (power play, short-handed, even-strength).

Kronwall may not have been one of the top 3 defencemen in the NHL this season (I had Weber, Suter and Keith or Doughty as my top-3), but only Weber had as critical a role for his team. Kronwall gets the Hart nod because his team made the playoffs while Weber’s Predators missed out.

• krob1000 says:

I know a handful of devoted WIngs fans and Kronwall is a bit divisive. On one hand he is a jack of all trades and a feared hitter but on the other hand he apparently takes himself out of position quite often looking for those hits and gets caught frequently. People I know said it was worse when Datsyuk out becuase he was always there to support the middle of the rink but with him and Zetterberg gone it was much more noticeable. I don’t watch enough Detroit…wish I did …I like what I do see but the guys who said this are guys who like us watch all games from their favourite team…our favourite team just happens to be better.

• Chris says:

No question he is guilty of occasionally drifting out of position to deliver a monstrous hit, although my understanding from the few Red Wings games I saw this year was that he had toned that aspect of his game back substantially since being called upon to shoulder more responsibilities with the retirement of Lidstrom. It was a frequent topic of conversation for the Red Wings announcers.

Kronwall has always been a divisive player for some reason, which I honestly don’t understand. I would LOVE to have him on the Habs. He’s a complete player. I think Kronwall is the new Kimmo Timonen, an elite defenceman that is somehow never quite perceived as being an elite defenceman in most circles.

• Ozmodiar says:

Not sure if I’d call your choice “controversial”. :)

Kronwall’s name shouldn’t really come up at all when discussing the Hart trophy.

I think we should know by now that it goes to the player most important to his team – provided that player is among the NHL’s elite. The latter part might be unwritten, but we know that’s how the voting goes.

• Chris says:

Well, I disagree. His name should come up, but we all know that it wouldn’t.

End of the day, the Hart trophy is the most valuable player to the league, not to his team. Giroux actually fits the rule as written, as his early-season struggles correlated directly to the Flyers’ early-season struggles. When he turned it around, so did the Flyers.

I just can’t reward him for the level of suckitude he was displaying for the first 18 games (or roughly 1/5 ) of the season. He was not quite brutal, but mediocre was probably being fair to generous.

59. Mavid says:

six and a half hours to go!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Please tell me Francis Bouillon is in the lineup tonight. It’s all that matters, really.

61. frontenac1 says:

This Never gets old. Let”R Rip PK! Enjoy amigos.

62. Slackman says:

Scrotchland is Timo minus the spellchecker.

63. DipsyDoodler says:

There’s a Rob Ford sex tape?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

64. habs001 says:

The Bruins will get a couple of penalties for dirty play but after that the Habs will get close infraction calls..At the end of the day the penalties will be even as the refs will not give a huge edge in pp…Same thing happened vs Detroit and in the last few years in the playoffs…The Bruins will get away with tons of illegal brutal punishing plays..some called but the calls will even out by the Habs being called for hooking and checking…One game in Detroit last week could have been 8-1 pp ratio….

• Mondou6 says:

I agree 100%…

We have to be able to answer the Bruins goonery without expecting the refs to do anything about it. Otherwise, we end up like the Sens series last year.

65. Slackman says:

So psyched for tonight. Can’t wait to see Rask smash his stick when the Bruins lose. Also I feel that the habs should put Blunden on there just to take a two handed swing at Lucic’s nards. You know… comeuppance and all that.

66. Marek says:

It sure is pretty quite in here for a game day

67. scrotchland says:

as I said on the other thread I hope Im wrong but I think bruins in 4.
    habs might win one at home but only because janet reno sings the anthem.
    therians swan song as habs coach.

If you think montreal will win, you’ve got another think coming

68. zorro says:

just need a win tonite, home ice advantage, and the Booins can have all the pressure.

69. Frank2468 says:

For fans in Ontario I have a package from Rogers called Variétés. Which includes channels RDS RDS2 TV5 TVA and TVA Sports. I’m assuming it’s the TVA Sports channel that will carry the Hab games next year? If anyone knows more please reply. I’m hoping I don’t see the dreaded blackout symbol on that channel cause I’m in Ontario? I would be royally pissed off paying for something that you can’t watch.

• mdp2011 says:

You’re covered with both TVA and TVA Sports for the National games. For the remaining regional games, it all depends where in Ontario you are.

• Hobie says:

From what I understand Frank…

RDS bought the rights to broadcast 60 Habs games. Those 60 games are REGIONAL only. Even if you have RDS in a place like Toronto or Calgary, you will not be able to see it. It will be blacked out.

Eastern Ontario will still get the games on RDS, I believe the cutoff is Kingston or Belleville?

• Frank2468 says:

Dam it I live in the Durham region area, but as it’s stands at the moment I still see regional games on RDS, guessing thats going to change next year? That’s going to make a lot of Rogers customers calling and getting upset since I’ve had RDS now for 4 years and was able to watch every Habs game

70. dsturge10 says:

Hoping that this will be the series when Marchand lets his emotions get the best of him and costs his team a big one. It’s coming someday, might as well be now.

“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure.” – Michel Therrien

71. Hstands4Hockey says:

Note sure what I’m more excited for – the game or trolling Jack Edwards on twitter!

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

72. zephyr says:

should be a good game. if price is on, then we’ll be fine.

73. Habanero78 says:

Booyah!

You get what you pay for. Therrien will put Murray in after Bouillon effs it up for a couple of games cost Habs a chance to win. By then it will be too late.

75. +1 Still not an MT fan. Some of those decisions are suspect and yes, I know Jack Todd likes him and so do many HIO’ers. Just … there’s something about him…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

76. Marek says:

I highly doubt that boullion or murray will be the game breakers

77. Bob_Sacamano says:

It´s quite sad when people realize that Bouillon shouldn´t be playing and then ask for someone worse instead. I´d feel much more confident with Beaulieu in. Tinordi would be the second best option.