Pacioretty should be called “Wolvie” after comic-book superhero

Max Pacioretty skated a full 75-minute practice with his Canadiens teammates Friday, and a warmup before that, ending the Brossard session with everyone else by doing a series of lung-searing wind sprints. This came less than six days after he underwent an emergency appendectomy last Saturday.

Pacioretty is known to his teammates as Patch or Patchy. But The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs suggests the Canadiens should call him Wolvie, for Marvel Comics’ Wolverine, the mutant superhero whose adamantium skeleton and healing powers make him virtually indestructible.

Pacioretty was discharged from the Montreal General Hospital last Sunday about 16 hours after his surgery. On Monday, he told his wife, Katia, that he was going to the Canadiens’ Brossard training facility, and she laughed, expecting nothing less.

“It’s just a sick joke at this point,” Katia said brightly of how her husband heals. “He’s something else, this one.”

Here are some stories to keep you busy as we await the puck drop for Saturday’s 2 p.m. start against the Buffalo Sabres at the Bell Centre:

Appendectomy just a speed bump for Patchy, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens coy on when Subban will play, by Pat Hickey

Early games mess up Habs’ eating habits, by Brenda Branswell

Habs turn bleu-blanc-rouge into black-and-blue, by Stu Cowan

Sabres, Vanek stick it to Bruins, by Buffalo News

Sabres’ Scott gives his fists a workout, by Buffalo News

Talk heats up about NHL expansion and relocation, by Pat Hickey

1. Danno says:

If Therien doesn’t play PK today he will have a lot of explaining to do.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

2. rhino514 says:

I stop by the site and see loads of invective directed at Therrien. What gives? The things being nitpicked on are quite petty.

• Phil C says:

I hear you. Too many who can’t wait to impale him on a stake. I don’t mind those who are just criticising him in a fair way,(that’s what this site is all about), but every little thing he does is too often taken in the worst possible way.

The allusions to Ovechkin are relevant. Here is a generational player that was allowed to do whatever he wanted, was prioritized over his coaches, the team, the system, was never challenged for his dishevelled appearance on the ice, and was further enabled to think and act like a prima donna, all to the detriment of the Washington Capitals. I am not saying Subban is as talented as Ovechkin nor am I saying that Subban exhibits similar tendencies. What I am saying is that Ovechkin could have used a coach like Therrien, who has a GM like Bergevin in his corner approving of his methods, to read him the riot act and get his personality in order.

Therrien has more coaching experience than all of HIO combined. This is a Habs organization that isn’t run by the fans, the media or individual players. There is a team concept being imposed and it doesn’t necessarily imply the elimination of personal identity. All it requires is that those individuals become part of a greater whole, the sum of their parts.

Therrien took a crappy playing but gifted Penguins team from the cellar to the Stanley Cup finals, losing in game 7 to possibly one of the best NHL teams of the decade. He did it by eliminating the country club mentality. His methods wore thin after a while and he was replaced by Bylsma, who took the same team to the finals and won it all in another game 7 classic. The difference was marginal. Bylsma had the benefit of the team having been there before and already disciplined, capable of playing responsible hockey. Bylsma only had to loosen the reins a bit.

When MT last coached the Habs they were an awful team, yet he got them to the play-offs and made them look a helluva lot better than they were.

Some of you flinch at the idea of tough love. It is still love. Therrien has passion and has smarts. Subban will become a better player for it.

If fans here had their way, IMHHO Subban would verily become worse. Just the notion that people consider him elite already is enough enabling to destroy a player before he ever hit his real potential.

“The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” – Michelangelo

• 24 Cups says:

Re: Ovechkin. You also forgot to mention that he fired his agent just before signing his mega deal and then ‘hired’ his mother to fulfill that role. She now gets a percentage cut of his yearly income.

• Cal says:

It’s too early to make sense, HH. Great post.

• Phil C says:

Good comparison with Ovechkin. A little tough love is exactly what a last place team needs.

Players are not made of glass, they are resilient. Here is a link to how Roenick actually liked the tough love he got from Keenan. Keenan makes Therrien look like Mother Teresa.

To quote Roenick:

“Today’s NHL dressing rooms are tame by comparison to what Chicago’s dressing room was like back then. Today’s players don’t confront each other the way we did. In my opinion, today’s players are too touchy about criticism. When you came into our dressing room under Mike Keenan, it was like joining a house of gladiators. There would be pain and suffering. But in that environment, I matured into a very good player, and the Blackhawks became a quality team.”

• Bripro says:

You and I don’t always agree, and I think your lyrics could use a little “tweaking” :) but I’m in you corner 100% on this one.

• RonC says:

I agree with you (Hardhabits) completly .. the Canadiens are not about Subban. They have had a fantastic history, with many of the greatest players that have ever played .. he is currently a member of the team, and at this time, only that.
      Have a good day!!

Winnipeg Habsfan

4. nychabsfan says:

Grigs vs Chukky is a good sub plot for todays game,also the return of PK(most likely) and not to mention what may occur b/w Scott & Prust and of course Price vs Miller,we need this one today…

5. frontenac1 says:

So,after talking the a couple of the Lads into buying tickets to tomorrows afternoon Sting vs Frontenac game(got them last Nov), is there anyone left on that Sarnia team worth watching? Yeah,I will be buying the cocktails.Hope at least there”s some good tilts. Go Habs and Go Niners!

The last game this month Wed. the 27th of Feb. we play against the Leafs. By then we will know if we have a coach and a team that can take us to the next level or not.
    By then the Therrien style and our players training should be into top speed execution.

7. Marc10 says:

HabsinBurlington made a good point earlier. Chucky vs Grigs is another subplot worth watching this evening.

Who gets more ice time, PP mins? Who plays with who? And most importantly, who is better?

I’ve been very impressed with Chucky thus far. Who hasn’t? It’s going to be fun watching those two. Go Chucky!

I wonder if Toronto isn’t already kicking themselves for not picking Grigorenko. While Rielly may indeed become a good NHL defenceman, they missed their chance at a big centerman, and funny enough all they keep talking about here in Toronto is the need for a big front line center, oh yah and a goalie and some defenceman and some forwards……

• Strummer says:

Burkie said Rielly was his No. 1 choice.

He would have chosen him over Nail don’t you know?

He would have chosen him over Gretzky or Mario Lemiuex or Bobby Orr.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• K-hab25 says:

If Columbus would’ve taken Galchenyuk, I was hoping we’d take Grigerenko. Really think he’s going to be a star, but I’m really happy Columbus didn’t and we got Chucky. He’s going to be a bigger star. :-)

• Sportfan says:

I really hate that I am working today it is getting away into the game I hope its a great game worth watching on Canadiens express after.

8. nychabsfan says:

I believe what Therrien is trying to do is actually help Subban by having him tone down the grandstanding.I love PK and I think he brings a charisma and swagger that has long been missing .However ,it is clear that PK is in the dod house with his team mates(wrongly IMO’) and Therrien is simply trying to help integrate him back into the team system .

Personally I have more grievance with Boones game time blog,thsi guy flip flops more than a mackrel ,always an alarmist and dramatic ,calm down my friend…

• habstrinifan says:

You lost me at “wrongly”. I am beginning to lose it at the namby-pamby mealy mouth apologetic ambivalence of some of these posts.

What is inherently “WRONGLY” with having issues with a teammate’s behaviour in your locker room? Nothing! By trying so hard to argue in favour of one type of behaviour, you are dismissing another type of behaviour.

Coincidentally, I was listening to Bobby Dollas on TSN690 as I read your post. He said it best. You have a problem in the locker room, you deal with it. Man to Man! That’s what real teammates do!

You dont do it the way the entire organization seems to have been doing it. Bottom line!

No mealy mouth ambivalence trying to alk a fine line between two examples of discordant team dynamics. P.K is an ass in the room. Stand up and deal with it …in the room. Dont yourself be an ass in public when referring/dealing with your teammate!.

That’s it… bottom line!

Edit: One poster here has as his signature the phrase ” I’ll go down a dark alley with Bob Gainey any time”. That it. Plain and simple. Which of the people in the room now( based on this situation) gives you that confidence. Is it any wonder that it was Bob Gainey and only Bob Gainey who stood up and faced the public and basically said (I paraphrase) shut your freakin mouth and go away and play your game.. like P.K does. What he said or did re P.K privately would have been have been different but he made it absolutely definitive re what he was gonna brook re a ‘teammate’.

9. frontenac1 says:

@canadienboy. Yes Amigo ,The Habs should have Ice Girls.I think they would easily be the best in the League.

@Looney, if your still online. Hey Tom, I know we discussed awhile ago the Habs hiring of Artem Telepin (unsure of spelling) the former Russian scout for the Bluejackets.

I heard Doug MacLean on the fan this week talking about the 2010 draft. He said that apparantly at the draft Telepin was banging his hands on the table at the Columbus predraft meetings stating that Tarasenko was the real deal and felt he was the best player to come out of Russia since Malkin. The Jackets instead picked Ryan Johannsen with the 4th pick and of course Tarsenko fell all the way to 16th.

I just found it interesting to hear this and thought you would find the story interesting.

Have a good day Tom,

Edit: I do realize MacLean was not GM at the time, but his connections to the franchise is how he evidently heard the story.

11. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Habsolutely, a poster I like reading, is playing games on one of the stopped threads below. I did not compare MT to Bowman (read the brackets my friend – I said Therrien had proven less than Subban has so far). I did compare Therrien’s tactics here to what Blake or Bowman would have done.
    It’s a big difference – tactics versus essence. I still don’t know how good Therrien is – I couldn’t stand him last time. But what he is trying is interesting, and fits a style of coaching we’ve seen before.
    If you’re going to quote another poster, have the respect not to cut and paste the quote, removing key elements. It ruins a conversation.

You copied: “I see no move here that Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman or any of the great coaches of the Habs would not have done. It fits in a tradition.”
    I wrote: “I see no move here that Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman or any of the great coaches of the Habs (and no Therrien has proven less than Subban so far) would not have done. It fits in a tradition.”
    Different, no?

12. K-hab25 says:

Two days ago everyone loves Therrien (except Tom and Chris :-) ) and now everyone hates him. Man as I’ve learned already about this place, don’t mess with PK. :-)

13. Bripro says:

This is the last time I’m going to comment on this (remind me why I waste my typing skills).
    For those throwing MT under the bus for his “making PK a better person” comment, get a life people!
    His comments to the French media spoke more about helping him to be more mature.
    A direct translation, in his mind, was a better person, but it was mis-construed.
    Besides, if he can make him a better person by teaching him team concepts as opposed to individual efforts, then good for him!
    We don’t know what PK is like “in the room”.
    None of us do.
    So stop pretending to be so offended by one measly comment and try and enjoy our young(er) team.

More importantly did you clean up in Poker last night? Enough to cover your ticket?

Great post!!

• ed lopaz says:

” if he can make him a better person by teaching him team concepts as opposed to individual efforts, then good for him!”

if you agree with Therrien, then that is your opinion and you have a right to it.

some of us think Therrien should not be teaching at this level.

and that is our right.

If I was Subban I would be insulted by Therrien’s comments, and insulted by your post as well.

I’m sure you would understand that someone who has accomplished what Subban has already accomplished, (including winning 2 World Juniors and stepping in at such a young age to play at such a high level) would not appreciate you or anyone else telling him he needed to learn “team concepts as opposed to individual efforts”.

Subban has been playing this team game since he was a little kid growing up in Toronto. At every age he has helped his team, no doubt, and been congratulated and praised for it.

Subban played an outstanding season in Hamilton and I never heard once from anyone that he didn’t understand the “team concept”.

That is flat out an insult to any Pro athlete.

• Bripro says:

Ed, did i comment on your right to post a comment? Or anyone else’s, for that matter? I didn’t put into question anyone’s right to their own opinions. What I’ve attempted to do is clarify MTs comments.
        I don’t know if you’ve ever coached before, but I have. And yes, there’s a huge difference between Peewee AA and the NHL. But I can tell you that I’ve coached some very good young players. A few went on to play the junior ranks with Corey Crawford.
        And I can say with conviction that most great teams at those levels have kids with exceptional talent, but some of those same players couldn’t play their way out of a paper bag when it comes to team play.
        And even though I would often explain the very obvious fact that the puck travels much faster than them, so pass…. They would still hog and do laps around the rink. Sound farmiliar?
        PK is 23 years old. I have one here who’s not much younger, so please don’t try and tell me that some of these kids don’t need tweaking, or a little mentoring.
        And if you or any athlete is genuinely insulted by my comments, then maybe these same athletes could learn a little from MTs comments.

• ed lopaz says:

I have coached 16,17 and 18 year olds. I have 3 kids, a 20 year old, a 19 year old and a 16 year old.

I’ve been around the block a few times.

Now you’re suggesting that Subban “hogs’ the puck? Is that what you implied with your “sounds familiar” remark?

tell you what: why don’t you tweet the highlights of your post to PK and see what kind of reaction you get.

This is a grown man; he would be disgusted to hear from a fan that they thought he wasn’t enough of a team player.

Disgusted and insulted.

If you’re ok with that, then fine. Own that position. I’m not Ok with it.

• CanadienBoy says:

Well say and all u have to look at is that Ovie guy who has not learn team concept yet

• K-hab25 says:

There are alot of guys, who’ve been successful, that play an individualistic style of game. Heck Kovalev won a cup, he’s definitely a selfish player and he was immensely popular here too.

• HardHabits says:

Kovalev won the Cup as a rookie on a team led by Mark Messier, one of the greatest NHL captains in the history of the NHL. I think Messier deserves the credit on that one.

Kovalev’s best time as a Hab IMHHO was when Koivu was injured, because he had a chance to put team before self. As a selfish player though, Kovalev hurt his team more than he helped it. Again. My opinion.

• habstrinifan says:

Forget the topic. Do you mind if I remark on the oddity of your conviction in your knowledge re what’s in Therrien’s mind and your dismissing of other’s knowledge re what’s going on in the room!

14. Danno says:

Sabres @ Canadiens

Game notes:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

15. Marc10 says:

You guys realise that the whole PK games end the minute he steps onto the ice. Our man will play great, shut down Vanek and earn a star.

We’ll need another pseudo controversy post game….

Eller’s been done. DD’s done. Armstrong is just not worth it. Weber also. Kabs being benched is a no brainer. Wow! We could be in trouble here. I’m counting on the press to have something for us by mid-second period. I’d hate to think what would happen if the Habs won 8-0 with no passengers on the good ship Habitant.

16. Loonie says:

One more thing about Michel Therrien and why I don’t believe he’s changed.

I equate his situation to Ken Hitchcock’s.

And here’s the difference in my view. Ken Hitchcock was very specific about what HE needed to change as a coach to be successful. And I’m paraphrasing here but he was specific about how NHL players now need to be treated as equals. Salaries play a part, how they’re developed as kids plays a part and how they respond to different treatment. The sad truth that Hitchcock referred to is that players now need pats on the back for you to get the most out of them, not humiliation or a firm hand.

Therrien said he’s learned from his mistakes. It’s easy to say without going into specifics and for all we know isn’t accountable for them but is taking accountability not because he feels he should, but because he knows that without doing so he would have never landed another NHL job……like Mike Keenan.

17. Habsrule1 says:

The worst part of the TL5 was that it was being done by 2 players on a very bad team.
    Do that after clinching a playoff series and nobody says a word.

Go Habs Go!!

18. Danno says:

Who decided a thread on HIO cannot exceed eight comments and why? Some good conversations are being cut short.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

19. Loonie says:

People are well within their rights to extend benefit of the doubt to people who’ve proven they don’t deserve it or haven’t earned it.

I choose to wait until they earn it to extend it.

The men running this ship haven’t earned it yet in my opinion.

That’s my choice.

20. Mavid says:

don’t forget the game is at 2 and GO HABS GO!!

A Buffalo blogger with perspective on Galchenyuk vs Grigorenko and some words about PK

Also a full length video of PK and his post practise interview. The last 30 seconds he compliments the system from MT.

22. CanadienBoy says:

Just watch the fight Scott was impressif ,so now both the Habs and Buffalo got though fer it about time ,the ? is can anyone take Chara ,Purst doesn’t qualify as a heavy weight but that Scott guy do

• Marc10 says:

According to TSN 690 boys, they reckon Chara looked positively off his game once Thornton was removed from the equation. Big Z can deal with pretty much anyone, but I don’t imagine he’d enjoy this match up. Scott is a very dangerous proposition and as marginal a player as they come. You’d never throw with him if you’re Chara (or Lucy) under any circumstances. The risk is too high.

We, of course, have no one to answer that challenge so no one will fight Scott. It will be interesting to see what he does when White, Prust, and co start doing what they do best. I don’t know that Scott has read George Laraque’s ‘The Code’.

• 24 Cups says:

Scott has averaged 3.5 minutes a game so far. I can’t see him going after any of our guys.

Montreal will need to worry about Vanek, who is presently leading the NHL in scoring.

The Grigorenko vs. Galchenyuk element will interesting to watch. Buffalo is indeed playing really good hockey, and Vanek is absolutely smoking right now. Hands full with the Sabres today indeed.

Agree on Scott being a non-factor today.

23. Danno says:

Did Therien even bother to check and see if the team liked the idea of the circle salute before he imposed it as the only appropriate form of celebration?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Loonie says:

Or did he consider for a moment that nearly every other team in the NHL does it after each win and that maybe if it is as much about saluting the fans as it is about team unity then maybe something else should have been considered?

I’d be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of fans like the low five more than a team salute at centre ice.

• Danno says:

Maybe we can have Ice Girls too by that logic

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Loonie says:

Exactly.

Makes you wonder if Galchenyuk and Gallagher got a talking to for celebrating their first NHL goals.

You’re playing a game boys but let’s tone down the fun out there.

Unreal.

Oh man, you really are enjoying this and running with it aren’t you Tom. Yah MT said to Gallagher don’t hug your teammate on your first NHL goal. Yup, he definitely said that, lets go with that.

• Loonie says:

“Makes you wonder”. Not a definitive statement pal.

I’m not going to put blind faith into a guy who’s flamed out of two jobs because of his ego, won over a friend of his in an interview and has been trying to convince everyone he’s changed since.

The evidence is piling up. Trying to change Eller completely and not extending any forgiveness for an anticipated adjustment period where he can’t be expected to be a World beater. All the while scratching him and benching him without any patience at a time when it’s been afforded to every other player on the roster not named Kaberle.

Travis Moen has been playing with all of the energy of a lethargic dog and was elevated to the second line. Meritocracy? Maybe in some spots, less so in most.

Enter Subban. A player who needs to be made a better person. Not by his teammates, not by his friends, not by his family and not by himself, but by Therrien.

Michel Therrien the Dr. Phil confidant who’s of the greatest moral fiber.

I’m pretty quick to applaud the good Therrien’s done. Specifically not sitting on leads, giving the rookies protection in the lineup and creating an atmosphere of team unity.

But I’m also going to question other decisions like inconsistency in meritocracy, lack of coaching players who need confidence but instead benching them or scratching them, taking away harmless things from players who enjoy personal celebrations.

There’s good and bad. The on ice stuff has been good for the most part, the off ice stuff has been bad for the most part.

My opinion. And if Subban and Price can’t celebrate victories together, I’m not reaching in suggesting that other players have been told to dial down individual celebrations.

• Danno says:

Therien publicly scolded PK and banned his low five celebration because he only wanted team celebrations. And yet Therien went out of his way to celebrate behind the bench with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Isn’t that a bit of a double standard? Isn’t this an example of Do as I say, not as I do?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Loonie says:

No kidding Danno. Again, the self entitlement Therrien displays is ridiculous.

• Clay says:

I hate the ‘low five’.
        However, I hate even more that they lost the right to choose their preferred form of celebration. It just seems wrong to me.

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Marc10 says:

I suspect that came up as one of the gestures to the fans post lockout and that Gio was consulted.

The Habs players and management and ownership also made a ‘Hockey’s Back’ address to the fans that you can see on Canadiens.com

It’s part PR exercise. As for the whole team first thing, I would assume guys like Gio and Gorges are for it as much as the coach is. I seriously doubt Therrien would go all out on these types of initiatives without buy-in from his leadership group. Therrien and MB reeling in PK is also part of that shared agenda I’m assuming. Gio probably said to them, you have to bring this guy back in line… and so they are (and in MT’s case, taking the heat for it).

The operative word in my post being ‘probably’… We of course don’t know.

24. Marc10 says:

Interesting trade proposals on the thread this morning… With this shortened season and a promising draft on deck, will we get some major trades at the deadline?

As a classic bipolar Hab fan (I want them to win every game, but I’d love for them to land Mackinnon or Seth Jones or any of the top 5 prospects…), would you trade Cole, Gio or Pleks at the deadline if we weren’t in the show for a prospect and/or a pick(s)?

Our next gen of Habs won’t come of age for a couple of more years, and we could very well land some more talent by offloading veterans who could help a contender.

But for the record, I still hope we win both games this weekend. :)

• Habfan10912 says:

As a fellow bipolar fan could we leave Pleks off that list, please?

———————————–

• Loonie says:

The more I think about it the more I wouldn’t be inclined to trade anyone other than Kaberle or Weber if I were Bergevin.

Easy to say with no information about any potential offers but I think each player deserves a chance to prove their worth in a short season and any trading decisions due to underwhelming performance could be hasty without a full schedule to evaluate.

• Marc10 says:

I hear you. I’m just trying to imagine this team in 2-3 years with Chucky, Gally, Tinordi, Kristo(?), Beaulieu(?), Collberg(?), Hudon(?), Bozon(?), LL(?), Bournival(?), Max, PK, Gorges and Pricey in the fold and a lot of the names we see today gone from the roster.

If the current aging vets are going to go before we get close to a legit contender, wouldn’t we rather double down on the ‘tank’ and land even more firepower for the future.

I suspect MB and his team would have this in mind as they build for the future… thus the speculation.

For the record, the bipolar trader in me says try to offload Cole as you’re likely never to get a better offer and Gio if you can. I imagine no trade clauses would be waived for the chance to win a cup.

• Loonie says:

I would listen to everyone but you mention Plekanec as an example who can’t be replaced right now. Neither can Gionta or Cole.

I think the simplest way to think about it is that if you have a young player who is ready to replace somebody and it allows you to maintain your depth, you can move somebody.

If for example Louis Leblanc were ready to take Gallagher’s spot and Gallagher were ready to take Gionta’s or Cole’s. By all means, move one of them. If your plan for succession isn’t ready to be implemented, let things be.

That’s just where I stand on it.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

All three have NTC.

We are likely to see Weber moved at some point if the D group remain healthy.

• J_P says:

The only problem with Pleks is that he isn’t a legit first line center. Once Galchenyuk passes him on the depth chart (hoping), pleks will be a gem as a second line center. He does so much for this team.

25. Loonie says:

So much for Therrien’s ego not being put ahead of the team this season.

With due respect to my favourite skater Andrei Markov, Subban brings the most complete skill set to the team on defense.

His dry land training regimen is unbelievable.

Cardio won’t be an issue with him, and his minutes can be managed in any event.

The sooner he’s integrated into the lineup and game action, the sooner he can get acclimated to the new style of play and apply Therrien’s philosophy for schematic approach on the ice.

Benching him would be a message. And a stupid one. Again, Therrien putting his ego above the team as he’s done in his two previous NHL coaching destinations.

• Habfan10912 says:

It would be difficult to argue that Kabrele’s play merited keeping PK off the ice, wouldn’t it.

———————————–

Kind of makes you wonder why teams even bother with training camps eh? Thankfully Calgary did it right with that better coach they have in Hartley, Iginla didn’t participate in any of the training camp till one day prior to opening night and he is flourishing with 3 assists.

• Loonie says:

Gerald if that’s a tongue in cheek reply indicating that training camp is valuable and learning Therrien’s system is paramount to on ice success I can easily disagree.

Subban moved from Boucher’s system in Hamilton to the Habs in mid-season and scored two points in his first two games. He was also arguably the team’s best player in those two games.

It really hasn’t been much of a secret that Therrien’s goal is to make Subban a better person. Another example of how incredibly vain he is.

A better professional? Okay. A better hockey player? Great. A better person? Who in the hell does he think he is?

His sense of entitlement away from game action is unbelievable.

Edit: Subban’s been practicing with the team, this wouldn’t be throwing him into the fire.

26. The Cat says:

Habs12, you may have a point. For fun, heres a list of Thursdays games with the 60Minute 50n5 tally next to the real score. 60 M 5on5 score in brackets. Of course there will be variance on any given night.

Buffalo 7- Boston 4 ( 5-4 Buff)
    NYI 7-NJ 4 (2-4 NJ)
    STL 4-CBJ 1 (2-0 STL)
    COL 6 -CAL 3 (4-3 COL)
    EDM 2-SJ 3 (2-2)
    WAS 2- TOR 3 (1-2 TOR)
    PIT 3 -NYR 0 (2-0 PIT)
    WIN 3 -FLA 6 (3-2 WIN)
    NAS 2-LA 1 (1-0 NAS)

27. HABZ24 says:

Oh please, terriens just getting back at pk , subban made the habs wait so terriens dickin around making pk wait. Ya right,pk played 25 mins or more a game last ssn,the system now is suited for pk allowing the d to skate with the puck and pinch in etc. stop the crap allready and put PK SUPERMAN in the lineup allready.

GO HABS GO

• tophab says:

its a disgrace the way mt and mb are treating PK.first they lowball him ,then they make a celabration rule against him,then they pit him on third pairing,then they say do not know when he will play it looks like they are racist.

if it was markov would they treat him the same way?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’ll be the devil’s advocate. The culture of the team has to change. They spent last year in total freefall, rudderless. PK is a young player, and he grew in that terrible hockey environment.
        If you want to reset the ship, you make decisions. Little ones that add up. The salary moves with PK were absolutely correct. The offer was good, and he took too long signing. That’s all.

It’s a clear message, and it will blow over. Either PK gets the message, a simple and annoying thing, or PK gets traded, a disaster. Subban is a brilliant young talent who has every possibility of collapsing into the next Kovalev. They have to try something, and PK is clearly intelligent enough to adapt and get the point.

28. Cal says:

From what I’ve read of a lot of posts last night, it’s apparent MT is the Grand Dragon of the KKK. Talk about sniveling whiners.

29. Marc10 says:

Wow is Tampa tearing it up right now! They massacred the Jets. I’m glad we’re getting PK and the Wolverine back (hopefully) before we meet them.

Guy Boucher was the great coach that got away. And we lost Julien Brisebois by the same token. Oh well, let’s hope the Lecavalier contract becomes such an albatros for the Lightning that even Stevie Y won’t be able to find a way around it.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good post. They’ve been very impressive. On the negative side the Flyers. Who’d a thunk that?

———————————–

• Marc10 says:

Yeah. I thought the Flyers would be toast once they lost Pronger, but they thrived. With Giroux becoming a top 10 player and a well stocked forward core, I assumed they would manage another solid season. They’re heading for Seth Jones’ locker with reckless abandon.

What a disaster that would be. I hope Briere returns to form and they finish 8 and get smashed by the Pens in the first round.

• Mark C says:

Not to take too much away from them, but they’ve had a really easy schedule. Wins over Caps, Car, Sens (minus Anderson), Phily, FLA, and now the Jets. Let’s see how they do vs. the Rangers, Devils, and Boston thid week.

30. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. The number of penalties being called is an obvious attempt by the league to increase scoring. It seems nearly every game has at least one 5 on 3 and the norm several. Some announcers are now not even debating the call but rather just laughing. Could the key to this season be special teams ir will the reds slack off the calls as the season wears down. In the meantime lets watch another power play brought to you by………….

———————————–

Good Morning Jim, the number of ticky/tacky calls is crazy, and yet it seems some of the more obvious hits are still being missed. It is a bizarre standard to which the NHL refs need to abide by. And indeed by playoff time the standards will change.

• Lafleurguy says:

Like the dude who nailed Wayne Simmonds with an elbow. BTW, did Chara even get a penalty on the neck fracture/grade 3 concussion play?

“May you live in interesting times.”

It will be interesting to see if anything is done to David Backes for his hit last night. It was a big hard bodycheck (no head contact) but well after the Detroit player had passed the puck. If Shanahan suspends Backes it will raise the question of why Chara didnt get suspended for his late hit on Wolverine.

• Habfan10912 says:

As Commissioner Bettman refers to him, Jerry Jacobs
            ———————————–

@jcc, I merely raise the question as a comparison. But thanks so much for your advice, perhaps I can now get over it. You are such a helpful individual to many of us here.

• The Cat says:

Its circumventing the real issue, the NHL needs to increase the ice surfaces, cause now teams are so balanced they cant score 5on5 as much as the league would want.

• habs12 says:

Maybe, but if you watch hockey on the bigger ice surface, the ice outside of the faceoff dots is barely used, almost like a dead-zone, and if anything just results in more bad-angle shots, which don’t produce goals on a consistent basis.

• Marc10 says:

The alternative (and again, just parroting the Dany Dube line on this one), they could expand the league and move to three line rosters. That would eliminate the marginal players. You’d get a lot more skill and speed and with shorter benches, a lot less go for broke hits, zero fights, etc.

• Habfan10912 says:

That might help but for me its the size of the goalie pads. Brodeur has yeilded much influence in this regard. Maybe once he retires they can get the pads to a reasonable level. For cripes sake Thomas looks like a sumo wrestler out there.

———————————–

• boing007 says:

Sometimes it looks like too many men on the ice even when it’s the standard 5 on 5.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• 24 Cups says:

Speaking of special teams, what gives with our PK situation? I figured Pleks/Moen and Prust/??? would lead the way. My bet is that the PK situation will tighten up once Subban is back. With Markov/Diaz carrying the PP load, it will give Subban more time on the penalty kill. If so, then shouldn’t Subban be playing with Gorges instead of Bouillon?

I believe the pairing of PK with Frankie has everything to do with Frankie being the first member of the “MT Buy in Membership Card” (not unlike a Costco platinum membership card). Until Frankie finishes helping PK fill in his membership application and Canada Post delivers this card, we will see PK remain paired with Frankie. Once PK receives his MT Buy in Membership card, then we may see PK once again paired with Gorges.

• Bripro says:

Hey don’t knock the Coco Platinum card!
          I get money back at the end of the year. Ok so my wife spends the equivalent of a small nation’s GDP, but that’s besides the point.
          As for PK playing with Frankie, I don’t think that will last too long. As PK’s ice time increases, Franki’s will level off because frankly, I’m not sure his “old” legs will have the stamina for 26-28 minutes per grame.

• Lafleurguy says:

On the plus side, Andrei Markov’s immense impact on Hab’s PP even have some of the fickled complementing Raphael Diaz.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• rhino514 says:

I agree. In the early season everything gets called, and in the playoffs you pretty much have to murder someboday to get a call.
      There are other rule changes the league should consider implementing in order to increase scoring. I think teams which are strong five on five should be rewarded. If teams are close and one of them has better special teams then fine, they have an advantage. But as it stands now a team which is mediocre but has great special teams can get far into the playoffs. As much as i hate to admit it, this has been the case with the habs in recent years, excepting last year.
      A very simple rule change would be to just make the goal slightly bigger, but this will never happen as it is seen as too drastic a measure.

• Bripro says:

Good morning Jim. It’s almost 9 am.
      Isn’t that a little late for you?
      As for the officiating, I find it’s the same every year.
      Early on, they’re a bunch of enforcers.
      Very little gets by them. To the point where they make them up.
      By the end of the season, they put the blinders on.
      Under Daddy Campbell’s system, a goon like Chara could get away with even breaking…. Never mind.

31. Habfan17 says:

I like the direction the team has taken and am glad the Ghost and Gainey era are over. I respect Gainey the player, but wonder about Gainey the GM. As far as Gauthier goes, I think he was a worse choice for GM than a green Houle!

The media has to creat news so we read about silly things like low 5′s. Personally, I think it is great that they are instilling a team concept right through from management to the players.

I love how fast Patches is recovering but hope he does not play this weekend. I would worry that he could suffer a set back and be ut longer. Why risk it at this point. I do wish they would stop making Eller the “test case” for trying other positions. Therrien has suprised me so far with one exception. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. Trying Eller at wing was done last year and proved he is much better at his natural center. Case closed. Use someone else as the experiment guinea pig and give Eller a chance at center.

I do like Subban paired with Bouillon and hope he plays this weekend. If DD does not come out of his funk this weekend, I hope they move Eller to his spot and sit him a couple of games. He did have a strong season last year, but now teams know him and maybe, just maybe, that was as good as it will ever be.

A suggested trade, Kristo for Paajarvi, the Habs have depth at right wing and Edm has depth at left wing. Thoughts?

Habfan17

• 24 Cups says:

Paajarvi has tons of skill but just got shipped out to the AHL on Thursday. He’s in a ‘Leblanc like’ holding pattern.

I doubt Kristo has much trade value right now seeing he is a strong candidate for UFA. You might get something for him at the end of the season from a team that thinks they can sign him.

• rhino514 says:

Look at the team before Gainey, since 1994 until he came in, and look at the team´s records since Gainey.
      The difference is so clear it doesn´t even deserve to be commented on, but I will do anyway; Gainey´s teams made the playoffs each year but one, and they missed out by one point that year.

32. JohnBellyful says:

Just as Therrien worries about the effect PK is having on his teammates with his personality, I worry about Pacioretty and the effect his rapid healing could have on a sensitive soul like Markov. It must be eating him up inside when he thinks about all the time he’s lost to injuries the last couple seasons and then he sees a teammate recover so quickly from crushed vertebrae, an emergency appendectomy and left arm regeneration (the Habs are keeping quiet on that one but it did get out into the blogsphere).
    Max could make things right if he told Andrei it’s not his fault he isn’t a mutant.

33. The Cat says:

Mario Tremblay was a good player, agitator but couldnt think at the same time. At 3:43 to 3:58 is all you need to know about him.

Hamel’s daughter is my daughter’s school teacher. Hamel takes time to practice with kids teams around Asbestos, Qc, hes a great guy.

GIven how much Carlyle coaches a style which Burke loved, I am still amazed at how long Burke stuck with Wilson.

Aren’t both Orr and Brown injured right now? Perhaps given Kessel isn’t scoring, maybe he can start scrapping for Kitty.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice link. Not against this strat by Carlyle. (He was really cool in the ‘Peg, wasn’t he Burly). Who among us didn’t LOVE the Scott/Thornton tango?

“May you live in interesting times.”

Carlyle did a nice job as a veteran Dman on the Jets indeed. I still remember one game where the opponent (former penguin teammate) was behind Carlyle as he skated behind his own net with puck. The oppenent tapped his stick on the ice and called out “Here Kitty” or Drop It Kitty, and Carlyle left puck behind the net thinking it was a teammate calling him by his nickname. The oppenent did a wraparound goal.

The next day in the Free Press, Headline read “Here Kitty Kitty!”

34. habfanacrossthed says:

Good morning everyone!!! Habs play back to back afternoon delights! Could this be the last we see of Eller this weekend? Maybe MB can offer Eller and Weber for Sharp?

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Marc10 says:

No. He’ll be around for a while longer. For Sharp?! Sharp is a proven 1A as far as centres go. You couldn’t get Sharp for Pleks, Eller and Weber… On second thought, that might work!

35. Danno says:

Shubenacadie Sam predicts six more weeks of winter.

I blame Subban.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

36. The Cat says:

Home teams are 65-42 so far this year I think, I might have miscounted. But yeah its usually the opposite at the start of a season.

Every night it seems we get crazy results. Detroit handles St. Louis last night, Carolina beats Ottawa and suddenly Luongo looks to be the saviour in Vancouver.

With the results so wonky, hard to know what advantage home ice is playing. And oh yah the Flyers lost to Washington, loved seeing that result.

37. Habsrule1 says:

What’s the over/under on how long PK stays on the 3rd D pairing?

Go Habs Go!!

• Bill J says:

Tough question. Because MT does reward good playing with good minutes.

I say by PK’s 2nd game PK will have moved to top4

• Marc10 says:

That third pairing is the second PP unit… and you know PK will take Markov’s place on the PK to avoid Marky getting injured. So he’ll likely finish highest or second highest in ice time no matter what.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I have been following this PK MT thing since it all began and don’t you bet PK will rise to the top again so quickly…MT will try and show the world how he can tame this free spiried hockey player…..he is still the same MT everyone thought he was way back when only he has put a new public spin on how he thinks now. It is almost impossible to change your fundamental make up….I hope I am wrong but we’ll see.

38. frankcasting says:

I friggin’ love Super Bowl Weekend just because of these Habs games, what a great tradition. Having PK back, CP rested, all the better. BRING IT ON!!

Loving the Habs since 1965

Game Day, looking forward to watching the team today.

40. habsfan0 says:

So,if the Habs drop both ends of this weekend’s doubleheader to go 4-4, how vitriolic will the comments be on this board?

41. habstrinifan says:

Loved the article featuring quotes by Mario Tremblay. Readers here know my appreciation for this tough ‘little’ man. And I think he’s selling himself short. He was a damn good and skillful hockey player too.

42. rhino514 says:

Subban keeps including the expression “at the same token” in all of his responses. It´s about time someone should let him know it´s “by the same token”. And using the less mirky “on the other hand” or “at the same time” once in a while wouldn´t hurt.

43. Marc10 says:

Getting ready for the Subbidoo Show. It’s going to be awesome. All the guys that rag on him or can’t stand him better take note, because if there’s a safe bet, it’s that PK will bring it.

Kabs better get used to the view from the pressbox.

• Habs_4_ever says:

I’m just anxious to see how the fans greet his return.

————————
      “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

• Bill J says:

I think jcc is correct. Remember the “We want PK” chants at the Bell last week ?

What I can’t wait to see is how PK reacts to a standing ovation.

• Marc10 says:

PK is the most popular Hab bar Pricey and perhaps Max. He’ll be welcomed back with open arms and then some. Montrealers love a showman, they love that he nearly killed Brad Marchand, they love his crazy goal celebration when he took the Habs to the post season… First touch of the puck the PK, PK, PK chants will start guaranteed (and that’s absolutely how it should be.)

44. ths says:

What about PK’s “Bolt” goal celebration ?
    That needs to go. I think the only solution is to give him shock treatment, tranquillisers and a frontal lobotomy. Or maybe get him to call JM or ghost half hour before every game for a chat to zone him out and suck the life out of him

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

45. Da Hema says:

JohnBellyful’s post below got me thinking about anagrams for selected people of the Habs. Here are some:

Erik Cole: Creek Oil
    PK Subban: Spank Bub
    Carey Price: A Pierce Cry
    Josh Gorges: He Jog Gross
    Andrei Markov: Vodka Mariner
    Brendan Gallagher: Hardball Gangrene
    Geoff Molson: Felon Of Smog

EDIT: better than another bloody post about you know what….

EDIT (AGAIN): nice to have the edit feature back….

46. JayK-47 says:

DONNY CRISCO IS GONA SEE HOW MANAGMENT TREETS PLAYIERS HERE HE’S GONA SIGN SOMEWERE ELSE WERE THEY REALLY CARE ABBOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM LIKE LONG ISLELAND.

47. Clay says:

Tampa Bay has scored an astounding 37 goals in their 7 games this season.
    To put that in perspective, we have only played 6 games, and would have to score a paltry 19 goals in our 7th game to tie them (we have scored 18 thus far, for the mathematically challenged). Think we can do it?
    __________________________

They are playing outstanding hockey, they have VInny playing well. And especially love how well the young rookie from Burlington, Conacher is playing. His dad coaches a team with a good buddy of mine, and PK did some help with that team during the lockout.

• 24 Cups says:

Tampa’s Cory Conacher (5’8″/7-5-9-14/walk-on UFA) is going to give Vladimir Tarasenko a run for his money in terms of the rookie-of-the-year trophy.

• Clay says:

Two thumbs up for Conacher from both you and Gerald…I have yet to see him play, but it’s a great story. It would be better if he was a walk-on for the Hans though!
        I’m still hoping that Galchenyuk will be at least in the running for rookie of the year, but yeah, with numbers like that, Conacher is certainly an early favourite. I hope he can keep it up, save for the few games they play the Habs. Too bad it’s a shortened season, because he is having a Selanne like start. I hate that every achievement this season will have to come with an asterisk.

__________________________

48. Michael says:

“Max Pacioretty clearly did not undergo an emergency appendectomy, as his post-surgical behaviour indicates.”

- Dr. Mark Recchi

49. Bripro says:

What a lousy day!
    Go play cards, get a parking ticket.
    If I took a tape measure, I’m more than 5 feet from the corner.
    B*st*rd no-good green onion.
    Then I log in to read this mess.
    Six games into the season, with a record of 4-2.
    Ok so a 66% efficiency this early is nothing to get excited about,
    but from a team that was under 500 and last in the division?
    Wow, what great fans we have!
    From trashing MT for poor word translation, to trashing each other over PK.
    One would think that we should be thrilled that hockey is back, the team is playing beyond expectations so far.
    Before the season started, I read comments about how high a draft pick we’d get this year.
    Is the typical Montreal Canadiens hockey fan a perpetual cynic?
    Our problem, is that we’re spoiled by expectation and history.
    Yes, it’s been a long time since the last cup, but here’s news for you.
    It’s going to be a while longer.
    So instead of nit-picking every little detail of every conversation of every individual associated with the team, why not just have a drink, smoke a fat one or pop something – whichever is your preference – and sit back and enjoy the ride.
    It’s been a while since the PP has worked this well.
    It’s been a while since we’ve had a coach who calls the official over and lets him have it.
    It’s been a while since the players have smiled this much.
    It’s been a while since we’ve sat on the edge of our seats.
    It’s been a long while since we’ve had a superstar in the making on our team.
    So stop looking at a glass half empty, unless it’s real and was just filled with single malt, and have some fun with this young, exciting team, which will only get better.
    Or go to bed. Like me.
    Pleasant dreams!

50. jols101 says:

Luongo firmly establishing himself as the number 1 in Van City. They got 9.5 million in cap space tied up between him and Schneider. Tough decisions ahead.

51. Sportfan says:

That’s why we signed Patchy cause he has the same cell regeneration as wolverine! So he could get hurt all he wants and Heal quickly :P

52. Duke_Rauol says:

It scares me a little that MT would go public with this “no more low 5″ deal. I have no problems with him doing it, but why make it public. Is it just me or does it look like he already has a dislike for PK? How short of a leash does PK have , considering Ellers is quite minimal, does PK sit after his first penalty? First giveaway?

I hope im wrong but it sure seems like PK is already down a few notches in MT’s book.

——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

• Sportfan says:

A bunch of people on this site including my self have talked about how Therrien kinda talked about PK in a negative tone on L’antichambre. What makes me worried is that because of all the trash talking last year towards him from that stupid show that it has created a bias for everyone and they aren’t giving him a chance. Hopefully this isn’t true and Therrien gives PK the benefit of the doubt, cause frankly he’s delt with the likes of Crosby, Malkin etc from Pittsburgh, so he should really have had practice with stars.

• savethepuck says:

Don’t be scared. From what I’ve heard, it wasn’t supposed to be made public in the first place. They were told by MT that he didn’t feel 2 players doing a ritual pre-planned celebration fit in with the new culture of the team first concept. I think it was supposed to be kept in-house, but Carey supposedly leaked that him and PK would not be doing it anymore.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Well at least Therrien was given 6 games with a 4 win 2 loss record before he was considered crap by the Habs fans here. Perhaps we should have hired Hartley, he indeed looks better in Calgary. Or wait maybe it should have been Patrick Roy, but that would get complex because its okay to bring up Therriens past transgressions but not Roy.

Ahhh yes as usual the fans who have never set foot in the dressing room do indeed know better. No other team in the league eats its own like Montreal.

MT may indeed be the wrong person! But I am just so proud he was given 6 games to prove himself.

As an aside it is also startling how so many of the players have started grumbling about him as well, oh wait they haven’t but the fans have.

• Bill says:

Meh. I said I’d give him five games and I was good to my word. I feel that is reasonable ;)

In all seriousness, I’m not saying he’s crap. I’ve liked the coaching decisions to this point and I’d say I overwhelmingly prefer the style the Habs are playing now to the one they played under JM.

He’s given a chance to Galchenyuk and Gallagher, and it’s paying off in spades. He’s developed a good line in Bourque, Gionta, and Pleks. And he’s gotten the most out of the roster to this point.

So to this point, he’s been quite successful.

The only thing I object to is the handling of the Subban thing, because musing aloud to the press about needing him to “be on the same page” and “put the team first” and be “a better person” is causing a distraction. If there’s a problem with Subban, okay, deal with it. But he should have kept it in the room.

I don’t think any of that is unfair to say.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The Jackal says:

What he said.

• Andy and the habs says:

Did someone say MT did not plan to go public about this but it came out and then he confirmed afterwards he had told Subban to stop the low 5? Because if Subban or Price would have just said “we as a team will now celebrate, or have opted to celebrate with the rest of the team by raising our sticks to the fans”, this would not be treated as badly as it has.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I agree that Therrien should stop revealing things to the media that will loop back and become distractions for players as they will inevitably be asked questions on the matter.

Even if players ignore articles, newspapers and websites, the beat reporters that do come in contact with them have the opportunity to feed them ideas that can cling like parasites (I’m reminded of Inception, lol), many of them unfounded and speculatory.

• Keener_7 says:

It’s not MT, it’s the media. For some reason the media loves Subban and all that goes with him while he is a Hab. If this was any other player or any other team this would be a non-issue. I still don’t know why this whole incident(for lack or a better term) was posted as “news”.

• savethepuck says:

The expectations of fans of this organization are probably unparalleled by any other sports franchise. It’s not ” what have you done for me lately” here, it’s what did you do today or last night.
      I used to find it fustrating how fans would flip flop between 1 game and another, now I just find it humorous.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Chris says:

As one of those mocking Therrien, I will point out I was equally against Roy getting hired for many of the same reasons.

But turn your honesty setting to “ON”. How would you handle an adult with a checkered history when it comes to acting professionally musing aloud about making you a “better person” when you were nearly 24 years old?

I just don’t get the guy. He said all the right things when he was hired, and has said many of the wrong things since. He’s gotten away with it because the Habs have surprised by playing above their heads to open the season.

I’m not musing about the team firing him or anything else. But the guy is just a clown when it comes to his ability to manage things internally. For somebody who actually worked in the media, you’d think he’d have a bit more of a clue about that side of the business.

• Marc10 says:

@HabinBurlington

With regard to the fans, don’t confuse the vocal minority on HIO with the majority in Montreal and in the province.

MT is ‘en voiture’ as they say. The team is playing better, the on ice product is more entertaining, Gomez is gone, Bourque is going, Gio is back, the kids are awesome, Markov is a PP God, Diaz and Prust and Price have been great, and now the Subbidoo Show 2.0 (with extra humility) returns.

Win two this weekend and we’ll be planning the parade. Of course, that’s easier said then done…

• savethepuck says:

Googling “en voiture” and not having much luck. I think voiture means car, but I need a French translation of what the term en voiture actually means.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Marc10 says:

Loosely translated: “He’s in the driver’s seat” (things are going his way) .

At least that’s the perception in franco circles. He’s batting above average, but expectations are low. :)

• boing007 says:

He means that Therrien is, for the present, in the driver’s seat. And all the rest of us are backseat drivers.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Sportfan says:

I haven’t bad mouthed him yet, I’ve quite enjoyed the hockey our team has been playing was just surprised about the PK stuff but game wise enjoying the game play thats for sure.

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

…FREE PK !!! :(

55. jols101 says:

Canuck’s goal was a beauty. What a pass by Kassian. Wish we had one of him or anything closely resembling him.

56. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

subban is a secret agent for the leafs and he will attack price, injuring him for 3 months.

THE FUTURE IS BLACK

TANK FOR MCKIMMION!!!!!!!

57. JohnBellyful says:

Just for fun, I looked up the names of some of the Canadiens to find out what their actual meaning is. Here’s what I found for a few of them:

Carey Price: Beloved Prize
    Brian Gionta: Noble Good addition
    Erik Cole: Mighty Dark one
    Francis Bouillon: French Marsh dweller
    Travis Moen: Toll collector Lowland dweller
    Lars Eller: Whipping Boy

58. Wintercount says:

“le probleme avec les citations sur internet, c’est qu’il est tres difficile de savoir si elles sont authentiques”

Abraham Lincoln

59. Habilis says:

Ridiculous, insane, not even fair stat:

After 7 games, including tonight’s 1-0 loss, Craig Anderson has not allowed a goal after the first period of any game. He has stopped 212 of the 219 pucks fired at his net for a mind boggling .968 save percentage.

He can’t keep it up, right?

• 44har48 says:

no…unless he is on that deer antler stuff, then maybe…:)

• savethepuck says:

Anderson has had an entire career of standing on his head for a long period of time, followed by crapping the bed for a long period of time. He’s gone on stretches like this since he’s been with Ottawa, and I’m sure many remember his playoff heroics of stealing games for the Avs against the Sharks before that. If he could show this for long periods of time with some consistency, he’d still be in Colorado, or maybe even Florida where he was before that ( or Chicago where he started ).
      He’s 31 now, so based on past experience, the odds say he will not keep this up. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong and turn into a Tim Thomas ( hate the guy ) who’s best years are well into his 30′s, but I have my doubts.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Chris says:

Check out Nikolai Khabibulin’s stats 9 games into last season:

7-0-2, 0.98 GAA, 0.964 SV%, 2 SO

Check out Nikolai Khabibulin’s stats for the rest of last season:

5-20-5, 3.19 GAA, 0.895 SV%, 0 SO

I doubt Anderson crashes as bad as Khabibulin did. But hot goaltender streaks are pretty common. The only time I can remember a ridiculously “hot” streak persisting all season was Brian Elliott last year. And that was mostly the Ken Hitchcock effect, a coach who could make his teams so good defensively that even Steve Mason and Pascal Leclaire looked like bona fide NHL star goaltenders. :)

60. Mark C says:

In news that matters, Danny Kristo already has a goal, moving him in tie for the second most goals in the NCAA.

61. So after we embarass ourselves with Ottawa on Wednesday, they lose 1-0 to… wait for it… Carolina? How? So does that mean we’ll be able to man-handle Buffalo with their giant 6 foot eight plus John the lumberman?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Don Carnage says:

Any team can beat any team on any given day

• Phoenix is having a tough time this year. LA, Columbus… St. Louis, Boston, Chicago are pretty strong so far, but I get it, just not a good ‘ol fashioned whooping that we got on Wednesday.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• savethepuck says:

What’s with all the love for John Scott on here? A big meathead who plays, if he’s lucky 4 minutes a game. I remember a few years ago when he played in the playoffs for Chicago, he was responsible for more goals against when he was on the ice than the # of fights he won. I would be much more concerned about what Miller is going to play like because he has been known to kill us, or what someone like Vanek or their other talented hockey players are going to do. I refuse to believe we are going to have 18 Habs skating around the ice scared to death to play hockey.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

62. savethepuck says:

I read a lot of comments that the way PK is being treated, he’ll probably not want to sign here long term in 2 years. Reminds me of 2 or 3 years ago when a large majority on here were saying the exact same thing about a young goaltender we had then. He was being booed by fans, scrutinized by the media, and “misused” by management. That kid just signed this summer for 6 years at 39 million. Nobody can guess how things that happen in player’s careers will affect how they will feel about their organization. I prefer to think that young talented players want to play in a city where hockey is the bible, the fans love them when they play good, and yes, they’ll boo them when the play bad. Any elite athlete I’ve ever known wants to play where they are challenged to do their best every time they are on the ice. IMO, it’s part of what makes them who they are.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Don Carnage says:

Stop talking sense ! That is also not allowed here

• HardHabits says:

People like to see a controversy where there is none and create scenarios without one shred of evidence setting out theories like a bunch of gossiping old wives watching a soap opera.

I hear that Keith Richards isn’t qualified to tell people not to take drugs. It’s not like he’s speaking from experience. I guess we can also get tips on how to make love from virgins.

Nothing to see here people. Move along.

• K-hab25 says:

LOL, ya no s**t!! If I’ve expierenced it, why shouldn’t I give an opinion!!

• Chris says:

You missed the joke.

It was one of Denis Leary’s better ones. :)

I just find this to be a rather idiotic hill for Michel Therrien to plant his flag. His reputation is as a super strict coach that quickly burns out his players with his compulsive need to control.

When he was re-hired, all we heard was that he had learned from mistakes past. So I was hopeful that the bad side of his persona might have been erased, because another hard-ass “old-school” coach after Jacques Martin really didn’t strike me as the direction the team needed to go.

So let’s see…

Calling out young players via the media, something he was criticized for frequently doing in Pittsburgh? See Lars Eller and P.K. Subban.

Control freak? See his imposing end-of-game celebration routines on the players.

Now we just need to see him unnecessarily blow his top to the referees and draw a bench minor at a bad time and I’ll have my trifecta ticket before game 12. :)

• savethepuck says:

I am not the biggest MT fan, but I like what I’m seeing on the ice. Anyone can criticize him, but without using Google, some of the young talent he’s coached as rookies or 2nd year NHL’ers are Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Markov. I think those players have turned out to be very good pros.
          “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• K-hab25 says:

Exactly, some will always hate!!

• Chris says:

I’m pretty sure there isn’t a coach alive, not even Jean Perron, that could have screwed up Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.

Jean Perron might be one of the worst hockey coaches of the 1980′s, yet he coached Claude Lemieux, Brian Skrudland, Patrick Roy, Shayne Corson, Stephane Richer, Chris Chelios, and Petr Svoboda during their formative NHL years.

I don’t think you’ll find too many people in the NHL (including those players) who would give Perron much credit for the players that they would later become.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Perron is better than Therrien. But Therrien promised he’d learned his lessons, yet he is right back to some of the very habits about which he was questioned and were responsible for the promise that he had learned from past mistakes.

• savethepuck says:

I see your point Chris, there are obviously players with so much talent, that no coach could screw up their development no matter how bad of a job they did, but maybe that means he’s not going to screw up some of our young talent too. I am sure I have heard Letang give a lot of credit to MT for what he became as a hockey player though.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• K-hab25 says:

Did any of them think as highly of a D-bag as Crosby thought of Therrien, No, that’s the answer. Again you might not like it, but they’re opinion matters.

63. Habilis says:

In the “Glad that’s not us” file, the Flyers lost to the Caps tonight. Yes, the Caps.

2-6-0, dead last in the conference. It might be time to panic in Philly.

64. jols101 says:

Hawks vs Nucks. Just starting on TSN. Always a Beauty…

65. jols101 says:

Halak pulled tonight. Let in 2 goals on 11 shots.

66. ed lopaz says:

who would you rather have on your team, Armstrong or Mathiew Darche?

I know HIO are not fond of Darche, but I am, and I think he brings a lot more to the table then Amrstrong.

I was disappointed the Habs didn’t offer him a 1 way deal, and I totally understand why he didn’t want a 2 way deal.

I liked Darche on the PK unit and we had a real good one last year.

Soft spot for a Mcgill Alum since I’m an ’86.

• theox_8 says:

Darche all the way, I thought Armstrong would be a lot better but its still early. It’s to bad Darchy hasn’t found a job yet.

• jols101 says:

Neither, everyone on the 4th line should be able to drop the gloves and pound the piss out of someone.

• jols101 says:

Actually, with Prust, Moen and White the Habs have enough guys who can scrap up front so Darche would be my pick. The Habs really do need 1 or 2 big, physical dmen that can drop the mitts though.

• HardHabits says:

Yep. However I don’t like to see stage fights like Moen’s fight. White’s fight when he went after the player that boarded Gorges I have no issue with, which is why I hate the instigator rule. I like that the Habs can push back and have a few players that can slug it out rather than a bunch of shrinking violets letting themselves get bitch slapped on a regular basis. Habs still need a heavy weight.

The beauty of the ’76 series was that the Habs had the skill but also had the grit to not succumb to the Flyers intimidation tactics. Once the garbage time was settled it was all hockey.

The Habs have a long way to go to get to that combination of grit and skill that makes teams successful but it has to be accepted as necessary. I think the current management team realizes this.

• jols101 says:

Well said HH. I hope you are right about Bergevin et al realizing that our back end is way too small. It is great that we have Tinordi in the pipeline but he could still be a year or 2 away. It would be great to trade for a big, mean, physical D right now and then just add Tinordi when he is ready. Nothing wrong with having 2 of them.

• vegas says:

We hear it over and over that Habs need a big bruizing D-man. I think every team would want one. I know we need one, preferably a right handed one. Who do think is available, who do think Bergevin should target. I just don’t see anyone available out there?

• savethepuck says:

If Darche played his Montreal career as a 4th liner, killing penalties, and moving up to the 3rd line due to injuries, fans here would probably have no problem with him. It was JM falling in love with him and giving him top 6 and PP minutes that made the fans turn on Darche. It wasn’t his fault he didn’t succeed in a role he shouldn’t of been playing in the first place. I wish we had 23 guys with his heart on the ice. Not the most talented guy, but gave 110% every time he was on the ice.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Ncognito says:

My wife is a 94 McGill Alum

• Chris says:

I would take just about any player in the NHL over Colby Armstrong, who is as far as I’m concerned as egregiously guilty of trying to injure opponents as Matt Cooke ever was.

Seeing Colby Armstrong in a Montreal jersey makes me feel ill.

The fact that Mathieu Darche is a very upstanding guy makes it all the more obvious which one would have been the better option from my point of view.

67. jols101 says:

Sens lose in a snooze fest with Carolina. 1-0.

68. CCL says:

people talking about Subban it’s become a joke. Pk is a good D-man and is only gonna get better. that’s what they should be talking about …..

• commandant says:

“he’s gonna be a better person too” – Michel Therrien

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• K-hab25 says:

Why is that a bad thing? No one says Price or Pacioretty is a bad guy. PK on the other hand, is thought of as immature and cocky. Why is it a bad thing the coach says he wants to change that? I guess it’s just a difference in philosophy, in my opinion, cocky and immature are not “team” qualities.

• commandant says:

Its a condescending attitude and comes from a coach who is far from perfect. As someone else said earlier tonight, when PK Subban’s “antics” cost the Habs a playoff series, then he’ll be on equal footing with MT.

When PK goes crazy in front of the media and calls his defence the worst in the league, and Soff, he will be equal to MT.

Its not like Therrien hasn’t had his own issues.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• K-hab25 says:

Come on Commandant you’re smarter than that. He hasn’t been Hab’s coach in over 10 years. I’ve gained alot of intelligence in 10 years to teach my children. We can’t all be as perfect as you.

• K-hab25 says:

Come on bro, I have more respect for you than that.

• Chris says:

K-hab25: We’ve all gained a lot in 10 years.

But look at the guy’s track record, and you’ll see his stint in Montreal 10 years ago wasn’t the only red flag.

In junior, he punched an opposing coach in the face and pulled a 10 game suspension.

In Montreal, he had a horrible reputation for ref-baiting that finally boiled over when he was (justifiably) infuriated by Kyle McLaren’s hit on Zednik. The throat-slitting gesture to the Bruins bench was excessive. Then he blows his stack against the Hurricanes despite knowing that he was firmly in the NHL’s spotlight after his criticism of NHL officials in the previous playoff round.

In Pittsburgh, he routinely chose to do his coaching (especially of young players) through the media. He would blast players by name to the media, he blasted the team as a whole and just generally ran his mouth all the time.

Then he’s canned and went unemployed for ~ 5 years. When he comes back, everything is going to be better.

But he goes through the media questioning Eller’s intensity. And he reveals to the media how he’s going to make Subban a “better person”…think how you would respond to anybody telling you at age 23 (an age where you are allowed to die for your country, vote for your political leaders, own your own house, etc.) that they are going to make you a better person. I would probably have given that person a nice long length of 2×4 and tell them where and how to stick it when I was approaching my own 24th birthday.

Therrien is not making his job easier. He worked in the Montreal media…he knows how voracious the system will take any comments he makes. Yet he seems to be completely obtuse to this as he makes idiotic pronouncements that are outside his purview as an NHL coach.

There is **NOTHING** more condescending in this world than an adult proclaiming that they are going to make another adult a better person. Therrien should stick to coaching hockey, the thing he is paid to do. If he wants to make people’s lives better, lead by example and hope they get the message.

• K-hab25 says:

Look Chris I get it , Therrien is not your kind of coach, he is mine though. I hate panzy a** player coaches. I love hard nosed, hard a** coaches!! Philosophy difference I guess. Player’s should be accountable, if not who is?

• Chris says:

Basically, my point of view comes from working with and teaching talented young adults of roughly the same age as Subban.

Public belittling or shaming is just pointless and, more importantly, also fruitless. I’m all for accountability, and I’m all for pushing your players (or students, in my case) hard to help them achieve their potential. I’m even in favour of trying to put students in situations where they do improve themselves as people. But the students can never, ever know that that is your goal or they get their backs up in righteous indignation.

You’ve got to have your finger on the pulse of your “students”. You have to know when they need a kick in the pants and when they need to be built back up. My fear with Therrien is that he’s got one setting, Butt-kicking, and that burns players out fast. An exceptional coach like Pat Burns only had a lifetime of 2-3 years with that style of coaching. Michel Therrien couldn’t shine Pat Burns’ shoes when it comes to coaching.

69. jols101 says:

The Bolts are spanking the Jets 6-0. 3rd period just started.

70. Mark C says:

Oddly enough, PK seems to be the only one not crying about the death of the low five tonight:

• ed lopaz says:

it was a stupid superstition. they will think up a new one.

and because they’re coming off a loss, someone will start it tomorrow after the win!

it will be something when the players are leaving the ice so much fewer can actually see the ritual.

much more humble!!

• K-hab25 says:

He and Price realise it really doesn’t mean s**t, just the Therrien haters, they know it means more.

• axxerd says:

Well, I wouldn’t expect him to be complaining on twitter about it.

—-
      Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

• jols101 says:

Whenever I see a picture of Prust, I wonder how he hangs in there with the big boys. He fights anyone. He is only 6 feet tall and not ripped with muscles. You can tell he works out but he isn’t huge by any stretch of the imagination. Must be technique.

71. ed lopaz says:

of all the coaches in the league, there are 2 that really stand out for me as being the LEAST LIKELY to teach their players anything about character.

Number 1 on the list is Tortorella.

Number 2 is Therrien.

It is so obvious that Therrien has been in therapy, he is almost desperate to show the world he has changed – and if he can change, then it follows, he has the capability to change others.

take another look:

• K-hab25 says:

Really Ed, NHL Stanly Cup winning Tortella. I mean seriously I get it you don’t agree with the method, but the method works, period. Not that others don’t, but don’t pretend that style isn’t affective.

• Phil C says:

I read somewhere that it was an organizational decision to call the players out publicly, instead of Therrien just losing it himself. Not sure it’s much better, but it is different. Much more calculated. He also did not say anything that was untrue.

As well, the team turned it around the next season. One of the biggest one season turn arounds ever, improving the team by 47 points. So the rant didn’t hurt the team and you could argue it was the turning point for the franchise.

I think he would do it again because it worked for him.

72. Danno says:

Does Therien approve of this Wolvie thing?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

73. Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh no! Wolverine giving Batman a high five (but only a single, and not low).

Whatever next?

74. Bill says:

No way this stops people from talking about Subban, haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• K-hab25 says:

Unfortunately not. A shame really, one of our best players is reduced to, “the coach has it out for him” BS, when he hasn’t even played a game yet. I guess some people just hope Therrien hates Subban as much as they hope he does.

75. ed lopaz says:

how’s Florida? its so freakin cold up here in Montreal. terrible.

My folks used to have a place in Sunrise Lakes, 5 minutes from the Panthers arena.

Went to a few games; it was great!

76. K-hab25 says:

Sorry bro, respect your opinion, but I don’t “hate” PK, because I don’t share your love for him. Try again. Maybe with an intelligent thought this time.

77. K-hab25 says:

Don’t live in Montreal, live in California, I know, disproves my opinions. Just think PK could be more team orientated, that’s it and that’s alll.

78. Keener_7 says:

my bad.. miss-read your post

79. Habsrule1 says:

All it took was one game treating his superstar goaltender like crap to make me hate him.
    He was no puppet. He was the reason Patrick Roy was traded.

That said, loved him as a player.

Go Habs Go!!

80. habsfan0 says:

Tremblay reminded me of Pete Rose as far as his work ethic was concerned.

However, Pete Rose was a federalist.
    Tremblay…not so sure.

81. Habsrule1 says:

I always thought they should have been able to smooth things over, but it wouldn’t have meant Trmblay didn’t f up royally…and could they have co-existed going forward?

Go Habs Go!!

82. habsfan0 says:

Pete Rose’s flaw: He bet ON his team.

Ty Cobb’s flaws:Virulent racist and antisemite.

However, Cobb’s the one in the Hall of Fame.

83. Habsrule1 says:

jcc tell me you are not serious.
    It’s ok to be racist if you donate to “black” groups?
    I guess it’s ok to be a pedophile if you donate to children’s charities too?

Go Habs Go!!

84. Habsrule1 says:

They are both wrong and the fact that you think it’s ok to be racist if you make donations is what is psychotic.

Go Habs Go!!

85. Marc10 says:

Oh man Enquist… Don’t remind me. Was there ever a more useless call up? No pop. None. WTF? You got the sense he didn’t want to be there.

86. Marc10 says:

Yeah. I can’t believe we gave up on Max Lapierre in seconds and yet thought that Enquist would make the show. I’m still shaking my head as to how this could happen.

87. showey47 says:

I really don’t get the Eller sucks thing. The guy scored 16 goals last year(the same as desharnais) with AK and darche/moen/whatever other 4th liner we had as wingers and virtually no PP time. Now he is forced to play out of his natural position,no shit he is going to struggle. Look how badly cole sucked in edmonton when he was moved to the left side out of his natural right side.

A least eller has an excuse,whats desharnais? Eller is tailor made for a 200 foot game which is the role of the center,big,strong,fast and can physically compete against other teams top centers. If anyone should have been moved to the wing it was desharnais where his lack of foot speed doesn’t get exposed and his defensive responsibiities is lessened.

Besides,in as soon as next season our top 2 centers (barring a trade of ufa signing) will be galchenyuk and pleky leaving DD as potentially a 3rd line center? Personally i would rather have gally,pleky and eller as our top 3 centers over gally,pleky and DD.

88. Loonie says:

No kidding. And Marc Bergevin to Sam Pollock.

For the record, I am not a lover of MT, but rather a lover of the Habs. I am very happy with Geoff Molson as an owner as I believe he is passionate about the Habs and wants the team to succeed. He along with Serge Savard made a decision to entrust the team to Bergevin whom in turn made a decision to entrust the players with MT. I just believe they are allowed more than a couple weeks before judged.

This reminds me of the lockout discussion. I was neutral as I believed both sides had some merit in their positions (perhaps even moreso on the players side), but found myself almost having to defend the owners position which was painful, particularly given my disdain for Bettman.

90. J_P says:

Subban will most likely be in the line-up today. Im inclined to think that MT is playing games with reporters more than his players. The only thing that could stop Subban from being in the line-up today IMO is if he isn’t in game shape.

If PK doesn’t play today, this place will explode.

92. vegas says:

I agree, I think Therrien has already decided and PK is already advised. He’s just playing with the media

93. K-hab25 says:

I think you have it mixed up about who’s doing the “attacking.” Like the guy below, who “attacked” another poster for comparing Therrien’s moves, to other great coach’s.

94. Chris says:

Go back and read the posts and then tell me that I was defending Martin, Gainey and Gauthier.

I’ve never really understood your issues, but apparently reading is yet another one of them. I was **never** a supporter of Pierre Gauthier.

I annoyed half the people on this website railing against Bob Gainey way back in 2009 when he brought in Scott Gomez, threw away Ryan McDonagh, and overpaid for Cammalleri, Gionta, and Spacek.

I have always been one of Ryan White’s biggest supporters as I think he is more than capable of being a very good fourth line centre.

I don’t like Moen because he is invisible in everything but his contract year.

I have no feelings one way or the other about Prust (although I have no problem admitting that I hate fighting in hockey…it is barbaric and ultimately a blight on our society that so many think that two guys throwing bare-knuckle punches at one another’s heads is a GOOD thing with all we now understand about severe brain trauma), but they severely overpaid for what he brings to a hockey team.

Thanks for playing, and you may want to go back and do some reading.

95. Danno says:

There is now.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”