Pacioretty scores game winner as Habs sweep Lightning (Video)

(Photo: Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Max Pacioretty’s timing was exquisite for his first playoff goal.

With 42.6 seconds left on the clock in regulation time, Pacioretty scored the game-winning goal on the power play as the Canadiens beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3 at the Bell Centre and swept the first-round series.

“The boys were joking that they didn’t need my goal till the end,” Pacioretty said after the game.

“It’s awesome that everyone pitched in this series,” he said. “My job is to score and I’m not doing that. You see the three other games, tons of players stepped up. Even tonight, tons of players stepped up. It’s nice to have that balanced scoring. I think that’s why we had success.”

The game had tense moments for Habs fans as the Lightning pressed in the third period and tied the score. The Canadiens called a time-out after Tyler Johnson evened the score at 3-3.

“We could smell the next round. We got a little too passive. We were back on our heels,” Pacioretty said.

“They made a great push…but that time-out calmed us down a lot and we got back to our game.”

The Canadiens outshot the Lightning 37-23. All but three Canadiens’ skaters had at least one shot on goal.

“I think it was two fast teams with really good offense that were trying to slow each other down,” said Lars Eller when asked what made the difference in the series.

“I think we did a good job of slowing their offense down and coughing it up in the neutral zone, playing them tight and not giving them much room. I think that most of all was the key to our success,” he said.

“I think we’re really happy with what we’ve accomplished so far,” added Eller, who scored in the first period and picked up his fifth point of the playoffs.

“I think we’re a really humble group and we don’t look too far ahead. And that’s how we got success in this series. We’ve really taken one game at a time and that’s what we’re going to keep doing.”

The Lightning had a tremendous season and battled hard to the end, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said.

He also said a lot of credit goes to his players who stuck to their plan.

“We played against a good hockey team with a lot of speed. And we were able to take away their speed, the way we were playing in the neutral zone, the way we fore-checked. Guys stuck to the game plan and they got rewarded,” Therrien said.

You can watch what Pacioretty had to say here:

You can listen to what Eller had to say here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. hitgurl says:

About the knee question below. U always assumed the player used the point if his knee to hit above or beside the other players knee where everything joins. Is that not right? Like the person asks below how does the injuring player not hurt his own knee?

2. Storman says:

Who was the dumbass reporter that asked Eller if Gudlevskis was like the goalie he faced in Sochi..Eller did not go to Sochi,, Eller played so well to be asked such a dumb question..all Dumbass Awkward World Award to that reporter for that question..LMAO I think it was Dave Stubbs,, no it was JOHN LU

3. 100HABS says:

The biggest dilmena now, if you hit Boston, is defence. You want the toughness of Tinordi and Murray – particularly Murray, he’s shown what he can do in playoffs – but do you want to mess with a winning combination? Would MT not be afraid to mess up the chemistry?

4. Adidess says:

Here’s something I have always wanted to ask those who have played hockey competitively, because I really don’t get it…

It is about the knee-on-knee stupidity. I don’t think the notion of purposely using your knee to injure somebody else’s knee exists in other professional sports, at least not to the same extent as in hockey. In fact, I had assumed for a long time that knee-on-knee hits were mostly accidental.

So my question is: considering how potentially dangerous a knee-on-knee hit can be for both individuals involved, what makes a player intentionally use his own precious knee for a violent and vicious attack on another player’s knee? Does the player have no regard for his own health and well-being or there is an evil art involved in perpetrating it knowing only the recipient of the hit is likely to be injured? How does this work?

Go Team CHanada!

• Mr. Biter says:

I think it was Kasperites (spelt wrong) who started the knee to knee shit. Could be wrong but his names rings out. Just pulled into Dryden and straight to H/IO. Go Habs Go. Pissed I had to travel tonight.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Phil C says:

When somebody has you lined up for a hit and you make a move to get by them, some players will instinctively stick out their knee to stop you from getting by. I would say they are mostly accidental and just a bad reaction to getting beat. But players like Bryan Marchment were known for it, and he wrecked a lot of knees that way. I do think it is way riskier for the player being hit. I’m not sure how many players would do it on purpose, but they are at least reckless when it happens more than once.

Yes, I think Cooke did it on purpose.

• Clay says:

Some people are just ass holes. Maybe it’s as simple as that.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• mfDx says:

If your knee is bent it is less likely to get overextended. The knee on knee victim often gets hurt while trying to evade a high impact collision. All of his body weight is on one leg, trying to push out of harms way. Any lateral pressure will cause the joint to buckle, then fail under its own weight.

Sent from my CHphone

5. Adidess says:

I hate being third. So I’ll say… First team into the second round!

Hehe, who would have thunk it!?

Go Team CHanada!

• The Jackal says:

Oh yeah!
      When you think about it, we are closer to the Cup than any other team right now.

What a night!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

6. Garbo says:

Anyone have links to the coaches pressers?

7. ClutchNGrab says:

This one will die soon, the aln post is coming.

8. The Jackal says:

Like winter in Westeros

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

9. Captain Pike says: