Pacioretty out for three weeks with left hamstring strain (Video)

Max Pacioretty

(File photo)

The news could have been a lot worse, Coach Michel Therrien conceded of the left hamstring strain that’s expected to keep Max Pacioretty out of the Canadiens line up for three weeks.

Pacioretty, the team’s top point-getter the past two seasons, had to be helped off the ice after getting injured Tuesday during the Canadiens’ game against the Winnipeg Jets. His injury was a hot topic among anxious Habs’ fans Thursday as the team waited for Pacioretty’s MRI results.

“He plays big minutes. So we’ll take it one game at a time. For sure, it’s a heavy loss. Players will have to make up the quality ice time that he had,” Therrien said after the Habs’ 5-3 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Canadiens’ victory was a good game for fans and a tough one for coaches, Therrien laughed.

The Blue Jackets skate well and play a style similar to the Canadiens, he said. ” They’re not easy to play against. So you have to give them credit, too.”

The Blue Jackets clawed back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game in the third period, but Tomas Plekanec sealed the Habs’ victory in the last few minutes with the game-winning goal, followed by an empty-netter.

“It wasn’t the game that we wanted to play after that 3-0 lead. But we stuck together,” Plekanec said. “We got lucky in the end and we got a win. We’ll take it,” he said.

Rookie Michaël Bournival scored his first NHL goal and earned more cheers from the Bell Centre crowd for back-to-back blocked shots.

“What I liked about Bournival is he’s gained confidence with every game,” Therrien said.

“That’s a good sign. I like his intensity. I like his speed. He skated well to create a lot of good stuff on the ice with his speed. And we could tell he’s a team guy who sacrificed himself blocking shots. For a young kid, there’s a lot of good signs (that are) positive.”

You can hear what P.K. Subban had to say after the game here:

And you can listen to Canadiens’ goaltender Carey Price, who earned his fourth win, here:

1. Bill says:

Haha. Anticlimactic.

Did Bruins lose a game yet? F that team.

Boy, Oilers just continue the down spiral. Brutal.

4. Sportfan says:

Much different injury than being out for months!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. naweed235 says:

If PK continues this way, he’ll get a second norris in a row and before you know it, nothing less than 10M per will keep him around. Here’s hoping that MB gets a deal done sooner than later along the lines of $8M for 8 yrs

It was an entertaining game for sure but man, Habs play very sloppy D… and that’s against Columbus.

I really liked Prust today and PK was unreal… what else is new.

I thought Galchenyuk was a kind of sleep walking and Gallagher needs to learn to protect himself a bit and not get into position of getting hit like that all the time. How much can he take?

I absolutely cannot stand Diaz. He was horrendous tonight. I can’t remember one time he move the puck out of the zone without any kind of trouble.

DD was back to being a leach on this team and has done absolutely nothing tonight. Same goes for Briere. I think even Therrien will soon lose his patience and send these 2 to the press box. He just cant afford it right now, although I would argue that Dumont would do a lot better and would bring a lot more to the team than DD and Briere combined.

Anyway… they won and relatively good news for Pacioretty so not a complete waste of 3 hours.

• vancouverite says:

Hate to say it, but for once in my life I agree with Timo.
      PK is our star, but that’s nothing new. Prust is awesome.
      Gallagher seemed to be ticked off his game by the Blue Jackets’ physical play. Not usual.
      And Diaz, makes me quirk everytime he makes a Suicide pass (Remember: Eller) and I fear he will have another victim soon. He is the only player that does not fit on this team, as he brings nothing to the ice but soft defensive play.
      DD unfortunately is losing his place on this team, looking more and more like our Third line C, who may soon be eclipsed (in my humble opinion) by our boy Bournival.
      And as much as I love Briere, it seems he has not found his place yet on this team. But with subpar/injured linemates its not easy. I feel he will find his place come springtime.

• AliHaba says:

Well I was agreeing with a lot of what you said but what???? Dumont could bring a lot more to the team than DD and DB combined? Timo what little credibility you had with me has gone (can you see it flying away?) out the window,

7. ari says:

After all the gossip I heard today,three weeks is very good news.atleast marc bergevin doesn’t have to do another dumb signing like.(simone gagne)

8. ponyboy says:

Gutsy win after blowing lead. Cheers!!