Pacioretty out 3 to 4 weeks following surgery to remove appendix

Max Pacioretty

Forward Max Pacioretty will be out three to four weeks after undergoing an emergency appendectomy in Montreal Saturday evening, the Canadiens announced in a terse press release.

Pacioretty wasn’t at the team’s practice on Saturday morning due to flu-like symptoms. After practice, coach Michel Therrien said Pacioretty had a bit of a fever and would be re-evaluated on Sunday.

The team announced at 8:21 p.m. that he had undergone an appendectomy.

Pacioretty led the Canadiens in points last season and was second to linemate Erik Cole in goals with 33.

Pacioretty sent out this tweet shortly after noon on Sunday:

“Thanks for the support fans, just a small bump in the road , but can’t wait to get back to playing soon.. ”

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

I believe the Habs/Bergevin are making a big mistake when it comes to PK Subban. They need to ink him to a decent contract sooner rather than later. I can’t imagine this team moving forward without PK. Wake up Bergevin & get it done already.

2. rhino514 says:

What is incredibly suspicious to me is why hasn´t an offer sheet emerged for PK? According to the rules, compensation for between 3.1 million to 4.7 million would be only a first and third round draft pick. PK is worth more than those picks, especially from a non-doghouse team. And he is worth that salary as well, objectively speaking.
    Second question; why would MB entertain the risk of such an offer sheet arising? If a team offers 4.5 million, this would mean that he´d have to pay quite a bit more than what he is countering with (again, unless he has no intention of matching)
    There is clearly more at play here than is being made public.
    The guy on paper is worth at least four million, and possible quite a bit more, depending on opinion. Yet no one, not the habs, nor any other team is offering four million, or probably even 3.5.

• commandant says:

2 Reasons

1) Teams assume Montreal would match, why do the work of a rival for them.
      2) Teams fear the revenge offer sheet. When you have as much money as the Habs do, you could really screw a team over for their RFA in a couple years.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Phil C says:

I think the Habs would welcome an offer sheet as it would allow both sides to save face. But if you are an opposing GM, how much would you have to offer for the Habs to not match? I think it is a big number, so they really have nothing to gain by offering it as it will just be matched in most cases, or you are over-paying by a ridiculous amount.

• B says:

At this point, I don’t believe Meehan / Subban would accept a $4M offer sheet and I doubt they have offered the Habs a 2 year contract in the $4M per range yet.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. parkex says:

Good thing I selected Marleau over Pacster in my hockey pool.

4. Phil C says:

In other news, how about Marleau with 8 goals in 4 games? Incredible.

O’Bryne laying a pretty good beatdown on Stuart after a high hit. I liked O’Bryne, but I guess Bournival has some potential. http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/115318

The high hit on Landeskog (which prompted the O’Bryne fight) is an example of the only thing that makes me nervous about teenagers playing with men. Skinner got crunched last year as well. It’s okay with a player like Nugent-Hopkins who has so much awareness and quickness on the ice that he is almost impossible to hit. Galchenyuk has done a good job so far and at least he has some size for his age.

Morning Phil, yes what an incredible start for Marleau. As I prepared for my hockey pool a week ago I thought to myself, which teams in the west will I focus on. (I tend to pick majority of West, this year in particular as I then can cheer without hurting the Habs). As I looked at all the teams I realized for the first time in a long time, no one was talking about the Sharks, and I thought, I wonder if this is the year they finally gel. I loaded up on them and have been the benefactor of Marleau. Now unfortunately, at the time of our pool Gomez was not yet rumoured to be in San Jose, had I known he would have been my final pick. Watching the highlights from the game, low and behold Gomez was in the dirty area of the crease, but alas he missed the open net. Perhaps good thing I didn’t take him. :)

• GoGioGo says:

Yeah, what a start for Marleau! Only one other player in NHL history ever scored 2 goals in the first 4 games of a season. That was Cy Denneny, playing for the 1917-18 Ottawa Senators… the very first NHL season!

5. naweed235 says:

Sad news about Max, but this opens the door for our youngens. I think Gallagher deserves a real shot on with with DD & Cole. I know both DD and Gally are small guys but they both play with lots of heart and determination.
    Also, I don’t know what the consensus is on this site regarding Galchenyuk’s stay in MTL but I think he really needs to go back after the 5 games. This opens up the spot for Eller on the 3rd line and Gally gets that extra priceless experience till the end of the year playing top minutes.

• Colomb27 says:

I am conflicted about Gally. He’s been fast and reliant in the D-zone. He’s proven that he can play in the show, but now the decision comes down to the entry level contract…

I also like Gallagher. He works hard, hits well, and takes the puck to the net. Here’s the thing, Pacioretty is out 3-4 weeks, so if we send Gally back to Sarnia, who comes up? Leblanc? Holland? I think that’s a significant difference in skill level and management might decide that Gally is an exciting fan favourite that can help this team win.

Enjoy the game tonight!

• JF says:

If I were Therrien, I wouldn’t mess with the second or third lines. The second line has been on fire, and Prust looks good with the two Gallys. Eller could either take Patch’s spot or he could play centre while DD moves to the wing. Either way, this is Eller’s chance to build some credibility with Therrien, and he’d better seize it. The first thing he has to do is play with a lot of intensity while avoiding bad penalties.

I hope Therrien takes this opportunity to insert Yannick Weber into the lineup in Kaberle’s place. Weber has to either play or be traded (and I’m hearing Carolina and Ottawa are interested); but we can’t even trade him if he doesn’t play. I’m still convinced he can be a good NHL defenceman, but his future may not lie with Montreal.

6. commandant says:

My take on the dangerous game Bergevin is playing here

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

I could not have written 1 word better.

Exactly, 100%, across the board the way I have seen this.

• naweed235 says:

great read, just a heads up: it’s Renaud Lavoie and not Raymond.

• Phil C says:

Great article. Agree that it is unlikely MB could get fair value in a trade.

GMs are usually fired for losing, not for overpaying for star players. Sather’s contracts for his top line are ridiculous, but as long as they are winning, no one cares. Over-paying for PK seems like a much smaller mistake than letting him go for a poor return. MB may have to suck up his pride and get it done, especially if $4M/year is the price. Bargain.

• twilighthours says:

What Ed said.

Except I don’t think bergevin would be in any hurry to deal subban once/if it has been decided that he needs to go. We all know that the habs arent going to be true threats this year so hold on to pk until a proper trade comes through.

• B says:

While they have not been able to agree on a contract yet, I don’t see it as a bitter dispute. In fact, things seem quite civil over all and both sides still express a strong desire to have Subban play for the Habs.

–Go Habs Go!–

• 4loorplay says:

Some good points in there BUT!!!! 1) Subban played lots of minutes because the system was a very defence minded system and subban was given the chance to develop into a better player. ( we lost games not due to goals against but rather to not being able to score goals…look how many time we scored 1 goal a game. 2) subban is being fed by his agent who make a nice commission that he deserves more regardless of how the team does business, this can and will create a poison in locker room. Subban is good but hes no orr,robinson or top 10 in the league he is flashy with a personality. If he sticks to his wants of 4-5 million a year for 5-6 years I think the brass will trade him not because hes not worth it but because he is going against the grain and we just cant allow that because it will open a can of worms here.

• commandant says:

1) Its not just how many minutes Subban played. Its that he thrived in those minutes, ending up a +9.

2) As I said in the piece… Subban is at a different stage than Price and Max Pac were. When you have a guy who has proven something you can pay him and this doesn’t mean you can’t do bridge deals with guys like Lars Eller or a Jarred Tinordi down the road.

If a player (maybe Galchenyuk) becomes a number 1 defenceman or number 1 forward before his ELC expires, then sure… you can skip the bridge deal. But these are gonna be rare events, and true building block pieces of the organization.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• 4loorplay says:

1) yes a +9 on a team that was D D D and if i remember correctly he was told to play stay home defence..too many give a ways and too many offensive zone penalties.
          2) Josee theodore PROVED he was the real deal with Vezina and MVP demanded big money got it then..oops! Who says you cant do bridge deals…Like i said hes flashy with personality he really has not proven himself “in my book”
          Hes a building block as is price as is patches…They waited and did their time as will subban or he will be traded . JMHO

• commandant says:

There are two aspects to +/-, yes we were a defense first team… but we also didnt score a lot of ES goals as a team. So to criticize the +/- because as a team we played defence isn’t fair. If we scored a ton of goals, the +/- might have been even better cause alll the pluses add up.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Old Bald Bird says:

A fine article from a fine poster. Just so you know, the like section (where you can click to FB, G+ etc) is over the text in Chrome. So many browsers to accommodate.

To any of the baseball purists out there, or just fans of great players, I encourage you to take 20 minutes and watch on the link provided. It is Bob Costas delivering the eulogy at Stan Musial’s funeral. Very touching.

I mentioned last week when he first passed, that while I never saw Mr. Musial play, that I still believed he was to baseball what Mr. Beliveau is to hockey. Upon watching this eulogy, I am convinced that Mr. Beliveau and Mr. Musial had a tremendous amount in common.

Habfan10912, I especially think you will appreciate this.

8. ed lopaz says:

I see Francois Gagnon and some others are trying to rationalize Bergevin’s insulting offer to Subban as “conservative, rationale, and careful” budget management of the Cap.

Yes. That is a great strategy. Very important, indeed.

But the balance needs to be there so that you don’t lose the players you actually want to keep long term.

That balancing act is the difference between an experienced GM and Bergevin’s strategy.

Bergevin took a risk that he could get away with low balling Subban, and it didn’t work.

If there is no compromise to 3.5-4.0 million, and there has been no movement on Bergevin’s part since the beginning (it has been reported by Stubbs, I believe), then the only conclusion is the Habs never had long term plans to keep Subban since this contract negotiation began.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I’m not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Ed.

• New says:

Great line from a great movie.

• Muckbringer says:

‘heck do you mean?

Conan: Almost 20 years of pitiless cumber! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
        Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
        Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.
        Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
        Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

• Phil C says:

I tend to agree with your conclusion, as much as it pains me to say it. It’s the only way any of this makes sense. And with PK taking the weekend to think about his options, I wonder if MB already has a trade offer on the table, so he gave PK two options; sign the offer, or be traded next week.

If the plan is to trade him, I really hope that MB has a great trade offer on the table.

• JayBee says:

I agree with the last part. They don’t really think too highly of PK and he’s not a part of the long term plans which is unfortunate.

Seems like no matter how much management and coaching changes, things end up staying the same. We’re possibly going to lose another good young player for nothing.

• ed lopaz says:

its very disturbing to me, I admit.

Since the Habs drafted Subban I assumed he would play here for many years.

Then he came up and has shown he can play 25 minutes a night at the NHL level at 22 years of age.

Very disturbing that his talent and his future as a Hab can be negotiated away on this RFA deal.

I don’t usually feel this way, but I really hope you are wrong Ed. Of course i have no evidence to show otherwise. The only thing i can think of, however, is that we just came out of a lockout where the initial offer by NHL was lowball and a median was found.

I simply hope for the best in this situation.

• ed lopaz says:

I hope I’m wrong but by now Bergevin should have moved to 3.5 at least.

I think Subban will swallow his pride and play 2 years at 3.5.

Its a good deal for the Habs and a big raise for Subban from 850,000.

But if it stays at 2.2 and 2.9 I think he will ask for a trade.

I concur with you Ed. I can understand an initial offer being low given RFA status, but I also understand the need for MB to now continue the negotiation by raising the offer. Of course that is predicated on Meehan/PK also moving from their initial offer whatever that number or term may have been.

• neumann103 says:

Ed, in general I agree but at $3.5M a year for two years I don’t think he would even have to swallow his pride (or maybe even feel he was swallowing his pride). He would know he would be cashing in on the next deal.

If the reports are true that the Habs offered $2.2 and $2.9 ($5.1 total over two years) and haven’t budged, I find it astonishing. Somewhere in the $6.5 to $7M total for two years seems like a move that should have been made already.

That would set the stage for a long term deal in 2014 when the Habs have room, and it would need to start about $4.5 for the remaining RFA years rising to around $6M for some of the UFA years.

Again I understand that the Habs can and will try to underpay somewhat because of his RFA non-arbitration eligible status, but why they would go this overboard. It’s nuts.

“Et le but!”

• B says:

I believe that if Meehan had offered Bergevin a 2 year $7M deal, then this would be over. I just don’t think Meehan / Subban have come down any where near that. It seems to me that they are still high balling the Habs.

–Go Habs Go!–

So Don Cherry was up to his usual antics last night, berating Yakupov and speaking about how the current Leafs had truculence etc…. now I didn’t watch the end of the Leafs game, did Cherry come back on and speak about those same rough and tough Leafs after they got their doors blown off them by the Rangers in periods 2 and 3?

Also did anyone else catch how Cherry stopped himself mid sentence when describing Fleury, something about been known 20 years later as the guy that ….. then he abruptly stopped. I don’t know exactly where he was going there, but I sure am glad he stopped as I was very worried about where he was going.

I know the guy does alot of real nice things in the community for kids, but his weekly soapbox is so beyond predictable. I am almost starting to feel sorry for the guy.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald. Rangers completely dominated the Leafs last night. Even when the Leafs took a 2-0 lead the Rangers were controlling the play. I won’t watch Cherry anymore and fortunately last nights feed was NY’s MSG telecast anyway. I don’t know if the Rangers have the proper balance but their top line is as good as any in hockey. Fun to watch as a hockey fan.

———————————–

Morning Jim, yes it certainly appears the road to the Cup Final will go through New York this season. They had a tough start, but great goalie, excellent dmen and an impressive top line is quite a combination.

• ont fan says:

Caught the end of the game. Fleury sent an e mail to CBC saying Don and Ron congratulated him after that game years ago and brought him on TV for an interview. There was no talk of showboating then.

Isn’t that interesting, thanks for the tidbit. Would be nice to see Don called on that, but then again whats the point, he is long past his best before date anyhow.

10. habs-fan-84 says:

Remember last year when Cunneyworth scratched Eller, he came back and was probably the better player on the ice for a few games.

Hoping he can take this opportunity and run with it. He’s got something to prove and I think he will.

Another 4 goal game perhaps..?

11. rhino514 says:

This is the reason MB went out and got Prust and Armstrong. and now we have Eller on the sidelines. Injuries are happening bigtime around the league to everyone and depth is of paramount importance. This year we have more depth than in years past. We are lucky with Patches that it is just an apendectomy and he will be out a relatively short amount of time.
    It just kinda sucks that LF is the one place where the team is very vulnerable, Pacioretty is the only established natural LW we have, But at least we have some options; hopefully Prust, Armstrong, Moen or Eller or whoever it is they put on there can adjust; they all have some natural scoring ability.
    On another note Leblanc had SEVEN shots in the bulldog´s game last night. Has anyone had a chance to see him play lately? There seems to be signs he is coming round.

12. Cal says:

The great thing about the compressed schedule is that there’s a game every 2 or 3 nights.
    11 hours until puck drop. :)

13. HabFab says:

See the question of LTIR down below and Salary Cap relief. There is a formula but short version is that you don’t get any Salary Cap relief until after 12 games are missed.

When first noticing Montreal didn’t have a Saturday night game this weekend and seeing they had a game with New Jersey today, I expected to see CBC pick up the game with national coverage. I forgot tonight is Heartland night on CBC…..

15. JayK-47 says:

I don’t think Eller was ever on his way out, he was just the most convenient player to move for AG27’s tryout.

But now? Who the heck knows.

Edit: my who the heck knows comment was irt AG27’s tryout. I don’t think it’s a tryout anymore.

I agree on Eller not on his way out. Now that a big spot is open on the roster for a few weeks it will open the opportunity for some line shuffling. I would look for the likes of an Armstrong or White getting a few days off once MaxPac returns if indeed injuries don’t say otherwise.

As this shortened season with compressed schedule continues, injuries will become more and more of a concern. We require/need the depth of extra forwards, also Nokia should be available shortly to provide depth on the 4th line should injuries occur.

If I was to pick someone out, I don’t think Moen has looked that agressive. I suspect the older veteran may take a little longer to get his legs under him.

• JayK-47 says:

JM ruined him? Lol

• montrealtilldeath says:

When we lost the exciting playoff against Boston Eller was one of the best players on the ice and a major reason we went ahead. He gave the Bruins fits. We lost game 4 which was the key game because JM benched him in the third period when hee lost a faceoff. He did not notice Eller’s effect. One thng I have noticed is that the players Therrian does not like are the same as JM’s. Remember that JM has not left the organization and is still there to spread his personal animosity against players like Eller and PK especially PK. Also JM and Therrian are buds.

• GoGioGo says:

Nuna ??? (the rest made sense, but the “Remember that JM has not left the organization” part makes me wonder…)

16. Marc10 says:

And here’s my sincere hope. That MT leaves Eller on the DD line while Max is out with same PP privileges… And that Eller ceases the opportunity and never leaves the lineup again by putting in 110%.

In any event, that door just opened and Lars needs to walk through it. Do it kid. It’s time.

If indeed Eller gets the crack on that line, will be interesting if he juggles up who plays center between DD and Eller.

Never mind walking through that door way, I hope Eller smashes it down and becomes an MT favourite.

• Cal says:

MT has put the bee in Larry’s bonnet. Let’s see if there is an effect. I hope so. The Habs do need a center with size, but not if that center doesn’t produce.
        This is the chance that he’s been waiting for. Time to get it going.

• Marc10 says:

I think DD plays center on that line. He’s the natural playmaker/puck feeder.

It’s a double challenge for Eller. He hasn’t shown he can master playing on the wing, but he hasn’t been given that kind of opportunity either. I think the coach will happily forgive the odd blunder as long as he puts in the effort. I do think that’s how MT has to play it. Forgive the guy who gives his all and trust that he’s a pro and will right the ship.

If Eller has a long career, it’s as a top six. The only alternate scenario I can see is that Chucky gets promoted to the top 6 and Eller centers the third line with ‘Warrior’ Prust and ‘No Quit’ Gally.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

If the Habs stop treating him like crap, he´ll be fine. I really hope Therrien gives him a chance between DD and Cole and not only on the left and he plays well enough that DD who´s been awful so far gets moved down to the third line where he belongs when Pacioretty comes back.

• Marc10 says:

Where he belongs…

That’s the thing about DD. The day MT benches his or moves him down pretty much guarantees he’ll knuckle down even more and ‘steal’ someone else’s job. The kid has no quit in him. He may not be playing to your standards (I notice you didn’t point out his linemates were equally shite for the past couple…), but notice he’s our only center that goes to the front of the net with consistency. Not bad for the smallest guy not called Gionta. Good things happen when you do that, so I’m sure he’ll come around soon enough.

And then you’ll see him where he belongs… That is until Chucky takes that job.

17. Marc10 says:

Fearless prediction: Gally to score his first. Will lift the team to a rare win against Martin F.

18. bwoar says:

I smell a win vs. NJ.

“thoroughbred”

19. The Cat says:

They’ll be chanting for PK today, dont see the habs winning it today.

20. BK says:

FREE PK !!

Time for changes

21. Bun E. Laroque says:

Man that puts a damper on things..

22. Rudy says:

Thanks hamayoun hopefully they will post these episodes on there because I really want to watch it

23. temekuhabs says:

NHL Transactionist @NHLTransactions
    MONTREAL CANADIENS: Recalled forward Mike Blunden from Hamilton (AHL)

24. Detritus says:

This whole PK thing is becoming exceedingly frustrating. There is zero reason for the franchise to low-ball their best prospective Dman for the next 10 years, based on what, morals? or just inane hope?

While Markov may better PK right now, in 2 years when Markov (if still healthy) is slowing down or requiring a 35+ contract, is there any doubt that PK would be #1? No. And yet, we are pushing away the most exciting young player to come around for quite a while.

This is really looking more and more like a character attack than anything else. This summer will shed a lovely light on this whole situation. Let’s see just how firmly Bergevin sticks to his ‘RFA must sign a bridge’ gimmick, once it’s homeboy Desharnais that requires a new contract. Without a doubt our psuedo 1st line center will get his money, while our legit top-D continues to get low-balled, and ostrasized for not being thrilled at the scraps that the team is offering him.

• tophab says:

fire bergevin if he dose not sign pk

• Un Canadien errant says:

Marc Bergevin is being careful with the cap situation and the salary structure of the team. He still has to tread lightly, next year is going to be tight capwise. The team won’t be any better off by overpaying on every player on every negotiation in order to avoid ruffled feathers.

In half a year, Marc Bergevin has signed Brandon Prust to a generous UFA contract, but early returns show that he will be worth the money. Max Pacioretty and Carey Price were locked up to reasonable long-term contracts. So far he’s done good work, he’s not over his head. We shouldn’t panic, he’ll get P.K. signed eventually, at a cost that won’t handcuff the Canadiens.

P.K. has huge potential, but lots of work to do to get to be the player he can become. Mr. Bergevin is right in trying to keep P.K.’s salary down as much as possible. P.K. will benefit from the incentive of another two years of hard work before he lands a big contract, at which point he might be tempted by other off-ice pursuits instead of dedicating himself to his legendary summer gym work.

• Yukon B says:

two thumbs up to your comment Errant

• Clay says:

As usual, you are the voice of reason Normand. I agree totally.
        As an aside, I think the lockout has to have some ramifications on salary as well – or else what was the point? Players are going to have to get used to getting by on 3 million a year instead of 4 (I know – how will they manage?).

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning sir. Lafleurguy asked me to send you his regards. He is still having computer issues and believes his hi/o account has been hacked somehow.

———————————–

• Clay says:

And good morning to you both! I hope he gets his account problems fixed soon. With Patches down, HIO needs him in the lineup :)

__________________________

Morning Jim, I wondered why we hadn’t seen much or anything from Lafleurguy. Hopefully that is rectified soon.

• rhino514 says:

We simply don´t know if the figures on the team´s offer are correct. When he signs we will probably be able to make an educated guess.
        We also simply don´t know if there are other off-ice issues at play here which no one knows about. Those we will probably never know.

• deen says:

i agree and am quite disgusted with the 2.5m offer if its true. hio let’s run a poll on 2.5m being fair or not. are you serious only 2.5! if we lose pk, i see the nightmare comparable roy.

• BK says:

I agree
      Time for changes

• Cal says:

DD was signed as a UFA. He was never drafted. The “bridge” situation doesn’t exist for him. Based on production, DD may get $3+ mill. If he has a bad year, he won’t get much more than what he is making right now. That’s $875k.

25. commandant says:

Just got home after being out the last several hours… gutted to hear this about Patches. Sucks for our team, we really need him.

With the lack of scoring already on the roster, I am gonna guess this means that Galchenyuk and Gallagher are sticking around, even if they aren’t replacements for Patches.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

26. savethepuck says:

Been busy the last 24 hrs and , missed a lot regarding Habs news. What a shock MaxP has Appendicitis. Hope he recovers quickly. Usually when he has a injury and he is supposed to be out 3 to 4 weeks, he misses 1 or 2 games. Hopefully he is back much sooner like usual.

“They don’t hang Confere nce Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

27. temekuhabs says:

So,I guess with Patches out, AG27 stays for the year?? Or do we call up a forward???

28. axxerd says:

Argh! I missed 24CH due to watching a movie with the wife, and forgetting (I know, I’m terrible)

Is there any way I can see this online somewhere? I subscribe to RDS, so I can watch it tomorrow…but if there was ‘any’ way of seeing this one episode tonight, that would be great.

I’m pleased to see that people enjoyed it!

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

29. Rudy says:

Anyone know how I could find out if 24CH will be able to be seen in the states? I’ve asked Stubbs and the Canadiens website, but no response

30. Sportfan says:

OH GOD That better not be a sign or something who goes on there line now Eller?

31. Chuck says:

I can’t decide which logo is worse… Flames or Oilers.
    ___________________________________________________

32. light_n_tasty says:

3-4 weeks!?! Roy missed like 1 game and then came back with like 40 saves or something. Pssh.

33. Stormin says:

Little Observation. IMO, Josh Gorges should be captain of this team,

• Boomer says:

He would have my vote too. But I’m content with Gionta as well. I loved the hugs before they went out at the ceremonies, close group of guys.

• Stormin says:

I have no prob with Gionta as well, that show rocked, narrator was kind of off and even his tone and delivery seemed a little annoying, not as well produced as HBO 24/7 but that is to be expected, but all in all a pretty good watch I would have to say.

• Boomer says:

I really liked the player and coach interviews on HBO’s 24/7. The one on one’s with the players in black and white. I’d love to see that here. But all in all, no complaints it was cool :)

• Chuck says:

He will be.
      ___________________________________________________

34. otter649 says:

Surgery went fine for Max soon he will be tweeting from the movies……..lol

35. youngwun says:

I guess Galchenyuk is going nowhere!!

36. showey47 says:

blunden recalled.

37. jols101 says:

A little silly not walking over the CH in the dressing room. I get the idea behind it but the thing is friggin massive and takes up most of the room. lol

38. Boomer says:

I shouldn’t spoil it for you guys. Sorry.

39. ClutchNGrab says:

What happened to cammalleri’s teeth????

40. Boomer says:

Armstrong on DD… “He’s a LEGEND in Chicoutimi!!!” haha

41. Boomer says:

Don’t walk on the logo!
    lol

• Phil C says:

Good article, thanks. I can’t figure out how MB came up with the 2 year $5M dollar number. Even the PK haters on here didn’t low ball it that badly. If you go on Capgeek and go to comparable contracts to Del Zotto, the list is a joke compared to PK.

The only way I can rationalize why the Habs would be lowballing like this:
      1. They really want to trade him and are using this holdout as justification to the fans for trading one of their favourites;
      2. The Habs need to fire who is coming up with their salary offers. MB said when he was hired that he was not really a numbers guy. It might be time to hire one.

• Chuck says:

We have no idea what’s been offered to P.K.

___________________________________________________

42. sreuel says:

Patch will be back sooner than later. He has gone threw a lot in his career and proved others wrong

43. theox_8 says:

I for one can not stand Don cherry, creep old delusional man..

44. silversnake says:

Really don’t like the narrators voice.

45. habbernack says:

Wait , trade him at the end of the season. Should get a 1 st round pick. Possibily top 3. Could get a Jones, Mckinnon o r Drouin

46. Boomer says:

I’m watching 24Ch on RDS good stuff so far…

47. habsfan0 says:

I’m no doctor, but since the human appendix is a vestigial organ, I’ve often wondered why professional athletes don’t have it removed during their offseason, to prevent an occurence exactly what Pacioretty is going through now at a very inopportune time.

• ooder says:

nobody likes surgeries man..after having gone through a few myself they all freaking suck.
      also it takes time from training.
      but i do think astronauts are required to get their appendix remove
      ——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Un Canadien errant says:

There is no such thing as routine surgery. If you can avoid putting a patient under general anesthetic, which is always risky, and cutting them open, putting them at risk of infection and other complications, you don’t do it.

• Boomer says:

agreed, I went through 2 within a year. One major, the other day surgery. If it can be avoided it should. The only thing that’s good about it is the jello, and the cute nurses.

• Garbo says:

Probably the same reason why you don’t remove your brain, as you obviously don’t use it that much.

48. Chrisadiens says:

3 to 4 weeks? Nah, not Patches. 2 weeks and ‘ol wolverine will be healed.

On the bright side I may get to keep my avi after all…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

49. habsfan0 says:

I had an emergency appendectomy when I was 14 years old. Not much fun.

Cammy with a nice play for an assist.

EDIT: Review. Looks good to me.

51. Big Ted says:

Dr. Recchi says it’s just constipation. We’ll agree with the actual doctors. Get well soon, Max.

52. HabFab says:

Bulldogs win in SO 2-1.

53. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I hope they don’t keep Galchenyuk in Montreal as a result. Keep Gallagher as he’s older and has played pro in the AHL and seems more deserving of the chance. AG is better off playing in Sarnia where he will absolutely EXCEL.but AG is young and as the season wears on he might have less room to operate and get frustrated and maybe even get hurt or look bad and lose confidence. The Habs have Eller, Weber to hold the fold till Patches is back and finishing out of the playoffs means a chance at the draft lottery…The Habs could get the 1st overall pick.

• Habilis says:

If Markov and Price keep playing the way they have, our chances of finishing in the bottom ten are effectively nil, regardless of who else is playing.

Personally, I think Galchenyuk should stay up. He has nothing to learn in Sarnia and the Sting may only play another 20 games anyhow.

• When you’re already dominating at one level you don’t stay there and exce,l you move to the next level. Since the next level is the AHL and he can’t go there, then he stays in Montreal.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

54. Chuck says:

5 unanswered goal two games in a row… that’s some quality Laffs there.
    ___________________________________________________

55. HabFab says:

Bulldogs going into O/T 1-1.

Are there any reports on whether his appendix had ruptured or not? The period of recovery is less if the appendix was not ruptured before surgery.

57. Stormin says:

What A guy , great team mate, playing in year 2 of a bridge contract at a measly 1.625M before his extension kicks in next year at a team function-able and favorable 4.5M for 6years, and now he gets appendicitis and performs an auto-appendectomy so that his teammate Lars Eller can get back into the fold.

58. The Jackal says:

Well, this sucks, I hope Max gets better soon!
    On the bright side, two things: one, this will distract us from the over-hyped PK saga, and two, it gives our young guys a chance, like Eller and hopefully Chucky and Gally will stay up now.

_________________________
    “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

59. Chuck says:

Let’s go Larry!

___________________________________________________

60. This is Eller’s chance to shine!! I hope he skates with it.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

61. jols101 says:

I dislike the Leafs so much, I find myself hoping they win the odd game. I would hate to see them get a Seth Jones or a Nate MacKinnon. My wish for the Leafs every year is that they barely miss the playoffs and continually draft terrible 1st rounders…

• ABHabsfan says:

Don’t worry, they will trade their 1st pick for Luongo

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• otter649 says:

Rangers had over 40 SOG & Leafs less than 20 no Leafs collapse – They got beaten by a better team where their #1 forward line is worth more than 22 million dollars……

• Chuck says:

No Excuses!
        ___________________________________________________

• doug19 says:

Rangers are huge, Boyle is 6 foot 7 inches Habs defense will not have a chance even with PK. Kommy looked like he was playing well but was also tossed around by huge Rangers.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Have to admit I feel the same. If the Leafs get one of those guys, people will never hear the end of it. I just think the Leafs have been so bad for so long that they have to make the playoffs and can’t afford to tank like the Oilers (interestingly enough, they’ve had their fair share of Top 10 picks over the past five years – not even counting their #2 and #10 traded to Bos – that should have propelled them forward).

62. Boomer says:

Del Zotto… ouch

63. habsfan0 says:

Another Laff collapse. Luongo is practically a Leaf now.

64. Propwash says:

4-2…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

65. Castor says:

This poor kid. He works so hard and gets himself so strong and then this crap.
    Hopefully Habs can keep their head above water (preferably like three games above) until he gets back. Get well soon Max!!

66. otter649 says:

Get well soon Max – I have you in two hockey pools….lol

67. Steven says:

I know it’s been said a ton of times, but…

Leafs Suck.

• Chuck says:

End of the first week and they’re already in midseason form.
      ___________________________________________________

68. habsfan0 says:

With Patches out for about 6 weeks, does that mean Galchenyuk will most likely be staying with the big club?

• ABHabsfan says:

That’s really the only option now unless they call up Dumont, or whoever they get in the PK trade!

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

69. Propwash says:

Baaaahaaa Rags take the lead

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

70. HabFab says:

Ops, sorry guys! I’ll come back later… not that there is anything wrong with…

71. SlovakHab says:

In my eyes, Subban, OEK and Pietrangelo are about the same level. I would probably swap PK for either, if there was a need.

However, I don’t see the need: $3.5M per season for 2-year contract or $5.2M per season for a 5+ year contract and we are all set. I don’t see what the fuss is all about, this is clearly PK’s value.
    $5M over 2 seasons is low-balling.

72. commandant says:

We could replace him with some callups, but we wouldn’t be able to do too much with trades or the like.

The problem with LTIR is that unless your player is lost for the season, it really is pretty useless.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

73. Marc10 says:

Yeah. It’s a pretty big game. NJ is well coached and they’ve got everybody’s favourite Hab Killer in goal… Big confidence booster if we can slug out a win.

74. Habfan10912 says:

Nothing like game day, huh? We can talk about the actual game and leave the crappy business side of it alone for a few hours.

———————————–

Didn’t you hear? Gomez’ Fenwick and Corsi numbers were better than Marleau’s last game, so in that case even though Gomez had no points he was the 1st star and Marleau with 2 goals was only the 2nd star.

76. jmsheehy19 says:

Actually first time I’ve watched him in over a year, but I agree with you.

77. Thomas Le Fan says:

People can’t take their eyes off carwrecks either. How do you know any of us watch him every second, by the way. Psychic? I find that hard to take seriously.

78. B says:

To me, lengthy does not necessarily mean bitter. Two sides can disagree without it being or becoming acrimonious (even on this site). Of course it happens, but I really haven’t seen it in these negotiations so far. Both sides remain very civil and both sides still want to see Subban remain a Hab. Hopefully they will succeed at it sooner than later.

–Go Habs Go!–

79. Bill J says:

I quoted MT for desiring to make Subban a better person (not better player, but better person)

So to answer you, opinion mixed with fact.

80. SmartDog says:

cough – LaRoche – cough

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!