Pacioretty out 3 to 4 weeks following surgery to remove appendix

Max Pacioretty

Forward Max Pacioretty will be out three to four weeks after undergoing an emergency appendectomy in Montreal Saturday evening, the Canadiens announced in a terse press release.

Pacioretty wasn’t at the team’s practice on Saturday morning due to flu-like symptoms. After practice, coach Michel Therrien said Pacioretty had a bit of a fever and would be re-evaluated on Sunday.

The team announced at 8:21 p.m. that he had undergone an appendectomy.

Pacioretty led the Canadiens in points last season and was second to linemate Erik Cole in goals with 33.

Pacioretty sent out this tweet shortly after noon on Sunday:

“Thanks for the support fans, just a small bump in the road , but can’t wait to get back to playing soon.. ”

1. I think P.K. would be a valuable sign, but not for what he is asking for. The Canadiens are in the drivers seat with this matter however and if he won’t sign — trade him to Edmonton for Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins. Works for both teams.

Bobcat Bob

2. RetroMikey says:

press notes for tonight’s game…..

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

3. BK says:

where can i watch previous episodes of 24 ch?

Time for changes

4. slapshot777 says:

After Monday everyone should have a better idea as to where PK stands. Pk and his agent should have discussed all of his options and I am hoping that Bergevin as a couple of options of his own to maybe counter if need be.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

5. slapshot777 says:

I am hoping he is back sooner than later.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

6. Say Ash says:

Three to four weeks, Max? “No excuses!”

Roy missed one playoff game and came back to stop 39 shots. Get out there!

7. Sportfan says:

I wont count out the Habs tonight yes its Brodeur, but I feel it will be a different outcome this game. Any word on the line ups tonight if there’s any big changes?

8. Habsville says:

Poor max, he misses games from the HIT and now this. Someone get an opportunity who will it be to make the most of it

9. frontenac1 says:

Pk this Pk that.That’s it! I’m heading to the saloon early. to get the mojo workin”. Back later after the puck drop amigos. Saludos!

10. kempie says:

Recipe for disaster:

1 part Martin Brodeur at the Bell Centre
    1 part no Subban
    1 part no Pacioretty
    Add 2 convincing wins in a row and…

11. F50Marco says:

Ok so i was unaware there was this 24CH thing going on, anybody got link to the actual episode? Not the little 1-5 min teasers.

Much appreciated.

12. Steeltown Hab says:

Galchenyuk suits the LW on the top line better than Eller and Eller suits the C between Prust and Gallagher better IMO.

Either way can’t be picky Eller is back boys. If Desharnais continues to not product over the next 3-4 weeks and someone makes the excuse of not being with Pacioretty for him I’ll snap though lol…advanced warning

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

13. Mattyleg says:

Yet another Hab putting himself before the team.

Dis-graceful.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bill J says:

You know Matty, when you write such a post. On a thread about MaxPac getting emergency surgery, once could assume you’re being awful cold about the appendicitis Max faced.

• Mattyleg says:

Awwww… I was kidding around.

Pretty crap that it happened to him; happened to my brother-in-law two months ago too.

He’s tweeted that he’s doing well, which is great.

I was just riffing on the “PK Puts Himself Before The Team” nonsense that I’ve been reading. This was a way to create a false dichotomy in order to highlight the ludicrous nature of both statements.

Perhaps I could have done it more clearly. Like inserting a little yellow face making an expression. :-

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Stevie.Ray says:

Pacioretty?

14. Hobie Hansen says:

Hard Habits was giving me some pointers the other day on how to remove the commentary during hockey games on television.

I disabled the center speaker on my sound system last night during the Leafs and Rangers game and completely removed Jim Hughson’s annoying voice. It was pretty damn cool, blasted the volume and it felt like I was sitting 20 rows up.

• HardHabits says:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

It’s awesome eh!! You can hear the skates grinding on the ice and the chitter chatter from the crowd. It’s so like the next best thing to being there.

Glad you got it working for you!!!

• New says:

Crud…that’s a great idea. Thanks, and to HH thanks as well. Gotta try this.

• neumann103 says:

I refer to this as The Lampley Effect

Watching with no sound really diminishes the event and distances you from the action.

During HBO boxing coverage I crank down the center channel speaker volume and enjoy gloriously idiot-free sound.

Now if I could just figure out a way to remove the graphics of totally arbitrary and subjective “Punchstats” then everythign would be hunky dory.

“Et le but!”

15. Sportfan says:

SO with Pacioretty out who takes his spot are they putting Eller with DD and Cole? so they can leave the other lines alone?

• piper says:

Great opportunity for Eller. I hope he takes full advantage.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think Eller will do well and be out to impress after his benching by Therrien. Then hopefully all the people who were freaking out over nothing will realize that Therrien was using one of the oldest coaching tactics in the book to motivate Eller.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s the plan for this game. Should be interesting to see what the club does after tonight. I kind of would lime to see Chuckie there. :)

———————————–

• K-hab25 says:

I kind of like Galchenyuk playing center, plus I really love Eller getting a chance to play big minutes withh PP time. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise, or the devil in disguise. :-)

• habstrinifan says:

Think it would be one of the G’s even if Eller starts on that line. I just dont see him syncing with DD and Cole… I think Gallagher…go to the net style will be effectie there…and dont worry about his size.

• Andy and the habs says:

Not sure about Gallagher. Although he does play big but the reality is he is small. DD played well in between 2 big bodies. Not sure how it would turn out with Gally 2.0.

16. habstrinifan says:

OK! Back to pure hockey:

Ony 3 games but is Therrien proving to be a great fit for the habs? I am ‘beginning’ to believe. One benefit is that they habs schedule so far has been relatively light (compared to other teams) and Therrien seems to have made good use of the ‘practise’ days. I didnt like 3rd period in Washington though.

Adam Oates: Conversely bad fit for Caps? Maybe trying to have a happier Ovechkin but with drawbacks? And are they missing Semin?

Senators? Started so impressively but seems to be reading their press clippings?

Rangers? Started lukewarm but looking to be the best team in the league with Chicago. Boston doing well too.

Toronto? Their slide started early it looks like.

• Habfan10912 says:

Trin, I like your analysis. I think the Caps are a mess. What the heck has happened to Ovie? He looks horrible and listless out there.

———————————–

• chanchilla says:

it’s nice to see one of the faster teams in the league actually use their forecheck for once in 5 years, i’ve liked it so far!

*5 years might be a slight exaggeration haha, but im sick of seeing trap hockey.

17. boing007 says:

Time to eliminate player agents. They are as just as greedy as many of their clients. You can save a lot of money by cutting out the middle man.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

18. The Dude says:

If PK was a white boy???? There has been a lot of raciest post on this site and others, as well you no how some Franco Quebec-ers think about the Ethnic vote and how it endangers the distinct society . Would we be having this discussion if Subban was a white french 23 YEAR OLD FROM Quebec City….I think not.

• habsfan0 says:

SHHH…it’s not politically correct to discuss these things.

• K-hab25 says:

Go take another bong hit hippie.

• HardHabits says:

The race card. The lowest common denominator. No surprise coming from you.

• D Mex says:

Agree.
        Working off an earlier earlier post, using the ‘ r ‘ card is ” cheap “.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• The Dude says:

Well you guys don’t face racism on a near one or twice a week rate then “real experts on the issue ,eh?” but yet so outspoken,enough so as to start calling me down….yes it’s everywhere and yes you are making my point! Hate is everywhere and Freud would probably say it’s a small penis issue :)

• K-hab25 says:

Do you even know any black people? Or are you just the typical, self hating middle class white guy. I’m sorry I live in Sacramento, CA and I hear more whining about race or language from the middle class white men on this site then I do from my black and hispanic friends and co-workers.

• The Jackal says:

I like you Dude.

_________________________
            “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

• habstrinifan says:

“if Subban was a white french 23 YEAR OLD FROM Quebec City….I think not.”

If you have been a Montreal Canadiens fan for any time and you dont see the inevitable reality in this statement then you are being disingenuous or blind.

If a white french 23 yr old FROM QUEBEC CITY had brought the (lets call it charisma and style) that P.K bRought (with all his warts) then he would have been signed at minimum $5 mill already and he would have been the toast of Antichambre. Just review the shows on Latendresse etc.

No judgement passed! Just reality observed. And you know WHAT! It would have been freakin marvelous for the HABS and Geof Molson if P.K was that person mentioned above…. just as he is NOW.

• The Cat says:

Honestly, I dont think itd help. Yes the quebecois adore their own more than other players when everything is firing great, but they also hate them more than other players when things dont go so good (brisebois, latendresse etc). Moral of the story, Im french and I would not want to play for the habs. The only french players that want to play for the habs are those looking to get that last big contract no one else wants to give them. The snowball effect for them players is ridiculous.

• mfDx says:

He’d be getting Lecavalier $$$.
      He’d have a shot at coaching this team in the future.
      Only Mario Tremblay would hate him.

Sent from my CHphone

• New says:

Man that is probably the most racist attitude I have read here. You managed to insult everyone in Quebec, PK, HIO writers and readers, anyone who comments, the NHL, the networks, and pretty well all of Canada. Don’t bring your hate to a sports site.

19. Hobie Hansen says:

Noticed it was ex-Canadien, Davey Manson’s birthday today. Would love to have him in the lineup against Boston.

• twilighthours says:

Hated Dave manson. Cheapest hab of my lifetime.

• Hobie Hansen says:

How do you really feel LOL?

I loved Manson when he was with the Blackhawks. Unfortunately by the time he arrived in Montreal his famous temper had cooled and his impresive career was winding down.

And cheap? I think of toughness when I think of Manson. Cheap is more like a Maxime Lapierre or Claude Lemieux.

• twilighthours says:

No doubt tough, also incredibly dirty. I’ll never forget what he did to pj axelsson. Would have gotten 15 gmes today for that

• Hobie Hansen says:

Point taken, he could be a bit cheap/dirty on occasion. He had some pretty impressive seasons though.

One year in Chicago he scored 18 goals from the blue line. And followed that up with several 15 goal seasons.

Markov and Subban have yet to have an 18 goal season in their careers.

• Mark C says:

To be fair that was 1988-89, everyone had huge point totals. Glen Wesley had 19 goals as a 19 year old!

• piper says:

I miss Claude

• neumann103 says:

I don’t know about “cheapest Hab of my lifetime” but he certainly came to the Habs with a long career of being a disgraceful cheap shot artist behind him. He was one of those guys like Stu Grimson who seemed to get a pass for being “tough” when they were dirty.

I understand both of those guys are bright and personable which may contribute, but I always associated Marchment level dirty cheap shots with Manson.

“Et le but!”

20. sherburnehabfan says:

In three games Price has allowed only one even strength goal and three power play goals. Habs need to eliminate the dumb penalties and help their goalie.

If PK had a passion for playing in Montreal he would have signed by now.

__________
    Hockey is a game played with a clock, the more time you play in the offensive side of center ice the less pressure you put on the defense. Control the clock, win the game.

• christophor says:

More like help themselves. But I get what you mean and agree that the even strength play has been promising.

NJ should be the first real even strength test, however.

• The Jackal says:

Very easy to say from the armchair.

_________________________

21. The Jackal says:

@K-hab
    You’re giving superficial fact. The stats and the game histories all obviously show that PK played tougher minutes. Not only that, but he became the team’s best dman in the span of a season and a half… Say what? Yeah, and also, for you stats sceptics, this is isn’t hard to swallow but ridiculous to ignore – PK ranks in the top 60 of every category, meaning he is a top pairing D on any team in the league, he is elite by the definition of the word. Now, because some people like to ignore recent history and what is factually correct and right, PK is seen as not so good, not elite, not important to the CH. Well, enjoy eating crow is all that is left to say to the turncoats.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Turncoats? You’re being a little dramatic. I have mixed feelings about where I stand on PK holding out for more money. But being in the top 60 doesn’t make you elite. That’s like saying Devan Dubnyk is elite. You need to be in the top 5 or 10 in my opinion to be elite.

• The Jackal says:

Dramatic yes, but for effect. I know we are all on the same team, but don’t you think it’s a bit ridiculous how soon some forget how good this guy is, just because of some negotiations we are not privy to? I can sympathize with the opinion that PK should sign ASAP and that maybe he shouldn’t be holding out, but the same can be said for MB. However, I can’t sit around and hear people undermine PK just because of this, when the last two seasons, these people have been lauding his play and looking forward to his bright future… hence the turncoat.

It was the same thing in Price v. Halak. Some forgot how well Price had played previously because of a poor season and because Halak played very well in that stead. People were ready to get rid of Price, just like some are ready to run PK out of town, it just does not make sense.

And top 60 out of about 200 is pretty elite, in the basic meaning of the term. Today, is PK as good as Weber? Not today, but he has that elite potential, and at 23, he is already a top pairing D on any team who performs above average for that category already. Maybe some people piss on that to make the possibility of prating easier, but lets be real, the facts speak for themselves, and they do not point at PK being valued the way his detractors think he is.

_________________________

• K-hab25 says:

Oh bullcrap, I believe Subban is one, of many, good young defenseman with potential to be elite, but he ain’t there yet. This is more of the Habs colored glasses that people use to view our prospects. They’re either the next great thing, or crap. Habs fans tend to judge to extremes. Price is considered elite by most Habs fans, yet objectively he really isn’t yet. Elite to me is playing at an extremely high level for multiple years, not 60th on a last place team. I think people like you are the ones with the value problems, overvaluing are top players, as usual.

• The Jackal says:

Well, you’re free to express your opinion, no matter how wrong it is, that’s the beauty of civil rights. ;)
            Seriously though, I am not overvaluing him, as you say, he has potential to be elite, for sure. Tell me, how many of our guys have that potential, not many. Moreover, to be the best player on your team in only your second season in the NHL is no small accomplishment. I wouldn’t give PK the moon, but I wouldn’t try to diminish his value. The money side is between him and MB, but as fans we can evaluate his talent, and it’s pretty clear that he is a top player in the NHL, and it’s ridiculous that because of this surprisingly polarizing standoff some fans are now lowering his value.

You speak of the Habs-coloured glasses, but you ignore the fact that many fans do an about face when these splitting issues happen. Some people are still sore about the Halak trade even though Price has established himself as a top goalie. This will be the same. When PK signs some will cling to their opinion on this matter, regardless of how well he does. Then if he ever gets traded, out come the pitchforks… it’s pretty comical.

_________________________

• K-hab25 says:

No one is diminishing PK’s value, he’s an important core piece, My argument is, has been and will be he has no leverage, he can take the bridge or sit home. I still think Del Zotto is a comparable player. Is PK better? Yes, but not by that much. He was given more responsibility, due to injuries, not his play and he held his own. Del Zotto was never given that opportunity. It’s the DD and Eller thing. Is DD better because he played on the top line against other teams top D? Or is it Eller would be just as good if he was given the ice time and opportunities DD’s gotten?

• piper says:

If we only new for sure what the offers and demands were we could comment better on the situation. But not knowing the numbers makes it tough to comment.

• deen says:

I see $2.5M/yr as an opportunist offer and it is sad to witness how flippant the new generation of Hab fans are today to agree with management. When they label Hab fans as the smartest in the league, one has to wonder where this comes from. It has been 20 years since this organization has hoisted the cup and even then if not for the miraculous work of number 33, it would have been 30 years. What does this tell you about the brass running the show? Fans if we are the smartest appraisers in the game we need to speak up before we allow untapped value that the team has not had in some time slip away. I am sorry, but when I watch the other d in the league, I just shake my head at how much further ahead PK’s game is at only 23 years old. There isn’t a player in the game today that scares me when going one on one against him.

Management needs to wake up and look into the future and the significance of having the great Markov tutor the up and coming PK. PK in the next two years learning the mastery and cool hand luke style of Markov’s game would be invaluable to the Habs in the future.

If this is MB’s M.O. he will never live this down after he fails with PK.

• NCRhabsfan says:

When did top 60 become “elite”? Before saying “by the definition of the word” you should look it up. Elite means “the best or most skillful in a group”. Stretching the that to top 60 is sure watering down the term. PK is not elite. He is very good. Maybe someday he will be elite. So far he has won no awards, made no all-star teams (unless you count the rookie all-star team which is a bit of a joke) and hasn’t come close to making an impact like Eric Karlsson has with the Sens. I love PK and want him to sign, but you’re just feeding the fires of his ego by mislabelling him as elite.

• The Jackal says:

It’s not a mislabel, it’s just reality. Top 60 out of 200 players who are already the best in the world is an elite group, no matter how you qualify that. Maybe Top 60 is misleading because you may imagine him in the bottom of that top 60, but he is above average in that top 60, meaning he is better than most top-D in the league. So that already fits your definition. On the skill side, well, we knew that in junior. Undermining how talented this kid is does nothing in the end. Why can’t we just appreciate the fact that we have a player of this caliber instead of taking up sides on something we have no idea about? The only thing we know for sure is how good PK is.

_________________________

22. habstrinifan says:

Thank you Commandant for a very thorough and itemised analysis of the P.K/MB version of the HABS own fiscal cliff. You have studiously and impartially documented the pros and cons and now sage readers will be able to make more evened opinions.

Some compliments are not welcomed and this one that I pay you in all earnestness and well documented acknowledgement for your contribution here on HIO may be one of those compliments that you may feel like disposing into that category… once you read on. So be it!

Not only is this Subban affair a sour pill after the lockout, the nonsensical, venemous tone of most of reaction, including this site, is quite unsettling. Lots of ugly, anti-Subban YAP YAP YAP. A bit mitigated by the lastest ‘rumour’ re the standing offer of MB.

I find it astonishing the obtusenes of many of the commentariat. Including professional journalists who came late to the understanding of the dynamics surrounding this entire situation. Incredible negligence on their part.

So many hiding with ‘the weed’ and pouncing on a chance to voice their perverse version of self-righteousness. The Elephant in the room was defecating abnormally a-plenty and many were ingesting and regugitating its dung.

23. ed lopaz says:

Mike D,

if as you wrote,
    “If the rumours are true – and the sources ARE credible ones – that MB is only offering P.K. 2.5mil per, that is absolutely a low-ball offer and I can’t really blame the player for sitting out thus far.”

I’m not sure how your position is different from those here who have been saying exactly the same thing these past 24 hours.

But Mike, this is precisely what management has offered PK, on a take it or leave it basis, apparently not moving 1$ since the beginning.

Mike, we all want what is best for the Habs.

What would be best for the Habs is if they wouldn’t take a CORE player and throw an offer at him, non-negotiable up until now – and expect that CORE player to react any differently then you did, Mike.

all of us agree that the Habs should do everything they can to manage their Cap efficiently.

Low Balling your Core players, I think you would agree, is quite a risky and insulting way to go about managing the team.

I am no more of a Subban fan then some others here who are Price fans, and we need BOTH THESE CORE PLAYERS to be happy if the team will build a winner in the future.

So let’s agree that the low ball offer was not a very good strategy, and lets get this signed somewhere closer to the 3.5 or 4 million that everyone would be agree on.

Good post, Mike.

24. dpeet says:

PK Subban where do i start. My question who is at this moment your best defenceman , Markov, i say not, he is only one a hit away from season ending career. In 2 years Markov will be done in this new hocket era.Habs have not played the better teams yet, Boston, Rangers , Pittsburg. Within there division Markov will be targeted , and if Markov goes down who do the habs then to carry the offensive defenceman load, no one but Subban. Who hits like a ton of bricks besides Emelien yes you guessed it Subban,, i remember the hit he made on Marchand all i can say WOW. Don Cherry rockem sockem i believe that Subban is there at least 5-6 times.He is a young kid and Marc B better sign him due to the fact there will be offer sheets coming very soon.I gotta say habs do give up on there youth, Kostyin he was one of habs leader in hits and poof gone, it would be nice to have heavy hitters nowwithin there division. The only way habs makes play oof , if Subban signs and Price stands on his head.. Good luck habs i,ve been a fan since 1957 and teams is improving but sign Subban for 5M for 5 years. If we want Subban that bad we pay him now or pay later before he goes somewhere else. GL habs..

• lavie says:

When both sides calm down and be realistic a deal will be reached, just like the deal between NHL and PA, unless Subban doesn’t like to be in Habs uniform any more.

• D Mex says:

Appears you’ve done a good job of answering your own question :
      - Markov IS our best D-Man at this moment.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Andy and the habs says:

I say at the moment, all around best defensemen is Markov because he is the reason why the Canadiens are 2-0. But the other day I was watching Boston’s game recap and as usual they bullied their way to victory. I love the addition of Armstrong, Prust and Bouillon. This team is an upgrade from the team that was in the Boston beat down. Now Subban would be a good equation to the new “not so small” Canadiens team.

Edit: 2-1

Nobody knows where the two camps are nor what the distance between the two is. Any report or tweet is speculation because nobody of worth, meaning somebody from either the Subban/Meehan camp or the Habs organization, has openly confirmed or denied the dollar amounts.

Getting all up in arms over this contract impasse is a bit disingenuous but if you want to get into the “ownership” issue I suggest you take a look at what was said.

Bergevin in the past said that he considered Subban to be part of the Habs plans moving forward. I haven’t heard anybody in the Habs organization ever uttering a word about a trade or mentioned Subban playing elsewhere.

However, about Subban Bergevin stated:

He’s a good young player. There’s a lot of things that come into play, there’s potential there for sure.

The implication being that the Habs see Subban’s potential but consider him a work in progress.

For Bergevin long-term commitments from the team require long-term commitments from the player. He says of the players (Price, Pacioretty, Gorges) signing those long-term deals:

These good young players, who are among the best in their positions, want to be in Montreal for a long time. It shows our fans and the city of Montreal that this is where they want to play and be successful. I believe when you identify the players you like, you do everything you can to keep them.

Now if we look at what PK Subban has said in Stubbs’ interview, he alludes to playing elsewhere and has a higher estimation of his game.

At this point, you have to remain optimistic (and realize) it is a business, and a lot of things can happen.

“It’s business and I understand that. But I’ve accomplished a lot in two years. If I hadn’t, we wouldn’t be talking, would we? This thing probably would have been over long ago.

Do I see myself playing for any other team? From a business standpoint, I’m sure there are other teams where I could fit in.

So for PK Subban it’s nothing personal, it’s just business. He thinks he can make more money elsewhere so he’s holding out. He isn’t committed to the Habs. Commitment would mean signing the bridge deal and saying ka-ching in a year and half.

Imagine you tell your fiancee that you want to stay with her for the rest of your life, but you feel really good about yourself, and since she’s not putting out the way you like, you might just dump her for some other hottie who is ultra kinky in the sack.

The difference here is not dollar amounts. It is attitudinal. It’s about commitment. Add to that, that the Habs organization thinks Subban still needs to be developed and the Subban camp thinks that he is already there. I suspect this is the crux of the matter and is the distance between the two parties that will be only bridged if the Subban camps blinks first otherwise it could seal the deal for an impending trade.

If the Habs do trade him I hope it is to either Edmonton or Winnipeg. The Habs could get some serious return and he would fit into either of those teams nicely.

• twilighthours says:

Silly post, cherry picking comments and interpreting to your whim

• Propwash says:

Totally taking these quotes out of context.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• HardHabits says:

Not at all. The comments speak for themselves and are direct quotes, completely in context and relating specifically to the matter at hand.

It is you two who are categorically dismissing them by stating they are out of context. I don’t see a rebuttal just a dismissal, otherwise known as a logical fallacy.

The “it can’t be true because you are quoting somebody out of context” argument. Hilarious. Even funnier since the quotes are explicitly pertinent.

• Propwash says:

You completely left out what was said before and after what you have quoted, hence taking it out of context.
            ____________________
            DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• HardHabits says:

Are you going to give me a rebuttal? All I see is a link. Here’s a link for you –>

Do I win?

I don’t have to paraphrase the whole Stubb’s article, just the relevant parts to my conclusion. If you can find something to counter what I am saying then present it. The link you provided is one of the two articles that I am referencing so at least you got that part right, but I do cite it.

Here let me put up the link to the other article I cited.

This debating thing is easy. Seriously.

Methinks you are playing a game of “See No Truth, Hear No Truth, and Speak No Truth.”

• Propwash says:

You are almost Fox Newsing your post to suit your agenda. PK WANTS to play here and he wants what is fair value for the type of game in which he plays.

Your conclusion means nothing without including the statements he made on how he feels when he plays here, and how much he wants to remain a Hab. Or does that mean nothing but lip service to you? If so, then the discussion isn’t going to go anywhere because you are cherrypicking without referencing what else has been said.

http://bit.ly/VGAv3Y Oh look…. a link!

____________________
            DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• New says:

Bonus points. You’re so far ahead you can bast in the warmth of clear and decisive victory.

• HardHabits says:

Prop. You don’t say you want nothing more than to play with the Habs in one sentence and then say but business considerations, meaning money, could change that. It’s disingenuous to suggest that his heart is 100% in it. He’s thinking pocket book over commitment. Even 5 million over two years is a gateway to huge cash if he plays up to potential. If he had his head screwed on and was being advised properly he would have never uttered those business quotes. He would have stuck to the script of wanting to play with the Habs regardless and not played the business card. He’s saying, “yeah I want to play here, but only if the money is right.”

He has an offer. He’s the one not signing it. He’s an RFA. He has no arbitration rights. Even 5 million over 2 years is a huge increase in pay over what he got last season. The ball’s in his court.

• D Mex says:

That Stubbs interview was interesting, altho tough to keep track of the number of times PK used ” I “, ” me ” and ” my ” in his comments.
      Great post HH.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

Great Post again HH!!

26. Danno says:

I wonder.

Is there a certain amount of intolerance and jealousy among certain players with regard to PK’s remarkable skill level which causes them to accuse PK of having an “attitude”?

If that is what is at the root of these alleged problems in the dressing room, aren’t those players who have trouble accepting PK the real problem, and not PK himself?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• 4loorplay says:

Hardhabit…Very well said. Subban Thinks he has reached the plateau already. Seems he would do well in hollywood with the amount of YES people around him Amazing to think we were dead last last year. How many games did we lose because he was in penalty box and then scored upon. He is not signed because they both dont see what the other want them to see.

• K-hab25 says:

Or could be PK is a cocky a** KID, who gets under the skin of the grown men he plays with.

• Danno says:

Maybe. Or maybe those players who display unjustified animosity towards him need to be “better persons”.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

These guys are supposed to be professionals so as long as Subban is putting in the effort (I don’t think anyone calls him a lazy player) and isn’t disrespecting anyone/everyone (and by that, I don’t mean bowing to all his teammates’ quirks and pet peeves) then his so-called attitude shouldn’t be a problem at all.

PK’s exuberance is consistent and isn’t this ugly side of him that comes up out of malice or bad intentions or whatever – that’s what I take this consistency as.

Bill – I hear what you are saying. Mike D also wrote a great post a few lines below.

For me, this isn’t about taking sides anymore. It’s not about the cap or Subban’s bank account. I worry more about the greater picture. This unnecessary impasse may well taint the new beginning and team rebuild that the Habs so desperately need. It’s taken the Habs ten years to draft five major talents and one of them now plays in New York. To eventually lose Subban would be catastrophic. You also have to wonder how the team would go about re-signing Galchenyuk or the rumoured Couturier when their entry level contracts are up.

I understand what Bergevin is trying to do. But the reasonable bridge contract ship sailed once the self-centred GMs went on a pre-lockout signing binge. The double whammy was when the owners lost out in the new CBA when the loophole was not closed.

Something has to happen right now before irreparable harm is done.

Two years, $7.5M or six years, $30M.

Cut the posturing crap and get the train back on the tracks before it’s too late.

28. Will the injuries never cease? How can any team expect to gain momentum, cohesiveness and perform when the line-up is like a turnstyle? Can’t predict things like poor Max’s surgery, but man, WTF? So Eller comes in after we lose our top scorer, no PK and we’re relying on who to score goals? Markov? Well that’s why I was only dipping a toe back into this season, seems like Montreal is cursed at least for another couple of years. Maybe it’s the water?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

29. tippytoes says:

Non PK fans are teammates who outnumber PK fans. This is where it matters. None of us have to put up with the annoying arrogance of PK. How many people refer to them self in the 3rd person like he does?

B—-.
    Meehan runs the show for the whole family, with Dad in charge of the three boys! is my take on things!
    Meehan is in position to make millions from this family. No matter where the kids all play!!

31. tippytoes says:

WOULD YOU TAKE
    OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON FOR SUBBAN?

32. Mondou6 says:

I’m surprised that all the discussion is about PK today. With MaxPac out, we’ve lost one of our only two reliable scorers for a month. I thought this news was really big, and a huge blow to our playoff chances. But everyone else seems to be “ho hum” about it.

What gives?

• K-hab25 says:

The PK fans out number the Habs fans on this site. :-)

• Say Ash says:

What does that tell about how important it is to sign him?

• K-hab25 says:

Zero!! Kovalev had people protest him not being signed and he was a bum. What does that tell you about the fans opinions on personal moves?

• Say Ash says:

Subban is a marketing dream. He’ll make back in merchandise whatever MB pays him, and more.

• K-hab25 says:

The Habs had no problems drawing revenue before PK and they’ll have zero problems drawing revenue after he’s gone. Fan favorites come and go, yet the CH lives on.

• Habitforming says:

I’m a Canadiens fan first and foremost, but if you don’t realize the CH is nothing without the players who have donned the jersey than you are very misguided. Would the CH hold the same luster without Richard, Plante, Beliveau, Dryden etc etc etc etc all having accomplished what they did in thier carrers without being in that jersey?

• Mike D says:

Not sure it’s ho-hum as much as it’s not something that’s really debatable. The guy had his appendix out and will return when he’s cleared to play. Team says 3-4 weeks, others have said closer to 5 for this type of thing. It’s not an “injury” either so no point in talking about whether he’s prone or if he’ll be the same player when he comes back. This shouldn’t affect those things at all.

That said, it really sucks he’s out because he’s probably our best forward and hands down our best LW’er.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• 24 Cups says:

Mondou – I wonder if MaxPac’s injury seals Galchenyuk’s fate even if he isn’t ready to play top line NHL minutes right now.

Either Galchenyuk or Eller moves to the left wing. I can’t see another solution.

• habs-hampton says:

Max is out for a month and MB can’t do anything to bring him back sooner. We may lose PK forever, or we can keep him forever. Only MB can make this call.

33. K-hab25 says:

Subban – 21G – 52A – +2 – 215H – 219BS – 32PPP

Del Zotto – 19G – 63A – +0 – 318H – 198BS – 36PPP

These are the #’s for these two for their two full seasons. How any one in their right mind can say these two aren’t comparable, or even worse, PK is considerabley better, are jaded to say the least. Oh and Del Zotto is a full year younger than Subban.

• JayBee says:

What a dishonest comparison. Del Zotto has 3 seasons and 209 games whereas PK has played 160. That’s a 50 game difference. Not to mention he was sent down to work on his defensive game. He also doesn’t play tough minutes as he doesn’t play on the PK nor is he matched up against team’s top lines. Add to that he plays on a far more gifted team, then yes… They are not comparable.

• K-hab25 says:

They’re is nothing dishonest about my post, but your reading comprehension is deeply flawed. I said it’s a comparison of their 2 FULL SEASONS!!! Do you understand, their 2 FULL SEASONS!!!

• JayBee says:

Oh, so you conveniently left out the one season where Del Zotto had to be sent down to work on his game? The season where he was absolutely terrible? Again, they are not comparable and it’s a dishonest post. Considering your stance on the situation it’s not surprising.

• K-hab25 says:

Ya it’s dishonest, because you can’t read. Del Zotto had a sophmore slump as a 20 year old, PK was in the AHL as a 20 year old. They are most definitely comparable, PK is 23 coming off of his ELC and Del Zotto is 22 coming off of his ELC. Their #’s are nearly identical. So despite these facts, your opinion of who plays “tougher” minutes, seems to be the only difference your side can come up with. I give you FACTS, you give me OPINION.

• Mark C says:

Subban played much tougher minutes. Five minutes of research and you’ll understand Subban played against 1st liners and Del Zotto played against 2nd and 3rd liners. Subban’s added defensive value is what separates him from Del Zotto.

• New says:

Sometimes it is good to remember that not everyone is discussing the pros and cons of any issue. Some people have a belief and no amount of logic will sway that. The myth is better than the reality so they want the myth. It all doesn’t really matter. The team will not consider any of our opinions in their decisions.

34. AliHaba says:

Here’s my prediction on the PK situation for what it’s worth….he’ll sign by this coming Tuesday 2 years @ 3.5 per.

35. dhenry1234 says:

Good morning Habs Faithful

So who can throw a link my way to the english version of the new show “24ch”? I’d love to watch.

36. Bill J says:

One thing that can easily be said, the Subban thing can be seen in a variety of ways. It carries heavy emotions as well. What’s worse, it is a monetary negotiation so soon after the lockout. A subject we here talked about at great lengths.

I believe he will be signed, but I must admit I have been convinced that MB’s position, and rumoured off salaries are “fair market value” taking into considerations the new CBA.

That being said, I’d at least like to see MB change his stance, and give PK 3Million per season, for 2 seasons.

I think he deserves that, and in2 seasons. The Habs will be financially able to pay PK if he can continue to show he merits it.

• B says:

I have no doubts that Bergevin would accept a 2 year $6M offer from Meehan, but I do doubt that he has ever received anything close to it though. It seems likely to me that Meehan is still high balling. Hopefully they will find a way to meet in the middle sooner rather than later.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Whatever says:

Seems people want Bergevin to blink first, yet he has all the leverage.

• Mr. Biter says:

Reply of Bettman/Fehr on a smaller scale.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• K-hab25 says:

Like I said 2 weeks ago, people on PK’s side, were on the players side and people on the Habs side, were on the owners side. It’s all about how we as individuals view life, our values.

• K-hab25 says:

Exactly!! Makes you wonder if some aren’t bigger fans of Subban and his “potential”, than they are the team. I know I’m certainly hoping for Subban to cave, not Bergevin.

• JayBee says:

You need to stop wit this “fans of subban over the team” crap. He should be paid accordingly. Fans are upset because he has been lowballed.

• K-hab25 says:

No I don’t need to stop anything. If you show you care more about PK being taken care of, than the Habs getting a fair deal, like Del Zotto, than it’s clear where your loyalty lyes.

• ZepFan2 says:

Exactly how I feel, Bill.

I could see PK getting a 2 year 6.5 million deal. 3 for the first and 3.5 for the second. At least I hope something like that happens.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

PK has absolutely no bargaining power what so ever. He can either take what the club is giving to play, or he can sit out.

If he sits out, he will be in the very same situation next year, because his free agent status will be pushed back one more year for not playing.

He is dead meat with the negotiations and his agent Meehen is giving very poor advice to the 23 year old.

Get back down the 401 PK, before you destroy all what you have built up since your arrival in Mtl. Suck it up for a year or two, play well, and the bigger bucks will be there for you, or you can move on if you wish.
    But for now, you have no choice!!

• Mr. Biter says:

Could not have said it better myself. Unless someone makes Bergevin a great offer and Habs are playing well Habs are in no hurry.
      I wonder what the Tankers think? Trade Subban for draft choices cause in their eyes we’re not going to be good for a long time.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• New says:

Exactly Ian. If the team does badly PK’s actual value dips. If the team wins his value dips. The only way his value increases is to come back and the team wins. In a short season a flip to losing on his arrival would spell a three year setback for him. He has dug himself into a really stupid hole. The team got burned with Gomez and BGL, they aren’t going to do that again.

Last year, once Markov came back, the team (playing playoff scrambling teams) played well enough that, had that level of win/loss been extended over a season, would have resulted in 91 points and the playoffs.

PK is very badly advised on this. He needs to sign, come back, and talk to his team mates. Right now he is in the position of taking away someone’s job and forcing them to move to make room for him. Players are people too. They will all resent that. And if when PK signs the team begins to lose, the fans will turn on the poor guy like dogs fighting for a bone.

38. naweed235 says:

I for one will not be even slightly surprised if PK gets traded. Since the first day he came in power, Bergevin said my goal is to build a team that is tight in the locker room with character players that put the team first. So far, most things Subban has done in the last 2 years, including his contract talks, have proven the opposite for him.
    I’m not saying i’ll be happy if he is gone but it wouldn’t surprise me. I just hope if that is the case we get a good return. Hoping for a Couturier, E. Kane or Eberle type of return…

39. andykirstein says:

Therrien verbally destroyed him on Antichambre last year.

Just saying

40. frontenac1 says:

“Sweet Hands”recalled from the Dogs.Hope he gets some ice time. Let’s go Mike!

• christophor says:

He’ll get it in practice only, I hope. Though, I really don’t care much if he draws in for a game. We’re talking about the 4th line, which is of far less significance than people seem to think.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Hockey experts, another question:

Did Subban play his best hockey under Randy Cunneyworth? Maybe “Cunney” (snicker) wasn’t all bad?

(Martin obviously had no idea how to deal with PK, and I fear Therrien will be no better. )

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

42. Mike D says:

More P.K. stuff. I mean why not, right?

By the same token, if Meehan and P.K. are using Doughty, Hall, Eberle, and the like as comparables – and these rumours are not quite as credible – that is equally unrealistic. In this case, I can understand why MB has taken a hard stance.

To be honest, I’m all in favour of a 2 year bridge deal. I like it as an unofficial team rule, love the message it sends of “show us you’re worth it and can do it for a couple more years and we’ll take care of you”, and value the precedent it sets for when Chucky, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and the like make the jump.

We all know the example set by Price and Max-Pac, but people often forget that Gorges and Pleks took bridge contracts too. The situations of those four are different than Subban’s in that two were coming off of injuries and two were coming off of bad seasons, but the compensation can reflect that in P.K.’s case. In a salary cap league, overpaying (and over-terming) young, promising players is organizational suicide. For me, I think two years at 3.5 – 3.75mil per year is fair to both sides. The player gets acceptable money that might be lower than his true value, but enough that it’s not insulting or undervaluing while keeping him motivated to get the big 3rd contract. The team gets a reasonable price for a core player who is likely to be our star Dman for a generation, while our interim cap issues resolve themselves next summer.

There is something to be said in favour of signing him long-term too as long as the money is reasonable. If P.K. does reach the potential we feel he has, we could be getting him at a bargain for 6+ years going this route. It’s riskier of course, but could be the right move. For example, if we didn’t make Gorges take the one year deal after his knee surgery to prove he’d be able to stay healthy and keep playing the way we had become accustomed to, we would have got him for a lot less than the 3.9mil we ended up giving him the following year. Not only did he stay healthy, but he improved as a defensive Dman and we had to pony up. Imagine having JG at say 2.5mil instead of 3.9mil for 6 years? Talk about a steal.

5mil seems to be “the line” between what is perceived as big money if it’s higher than, and what isn’t if it’s lower than. If we were able to sign P.K. for anything LESS than 5mil for 6 or more years, I might just do it even though I still prefer the bridge option. It strays from that precedent I mentioned above, but could be viewed as a 2nd precedent option where the team says “if you want good term and money and have shown us a lot in your ELC, we’ll give it to you, BUT at a price that will be a discount for us after the 2nd or 3rd year”.

My only fear there would be if P.K.’s play starts to drop. We all see how skilled he is and I agree with him that he plays his @$$ off, but we’ve all seen other “can’t miss” young defensive prospects suddenly NOT become the next Pronger, Scotty N, Lidstrom, Chelios etc. that they were touted to be at P.K.’s age. Look no further that Jay Bouwmeester, Dion Phaneuf, and Mike Green. One could argue correctly that those guys are still decent or better (and Green has suffered some injuries the past couple years to be fair), but NONE of them have reached the potential everyone thought they had 4-5 years ago, even though they got paid under the assumption that they would. Erik Johnson is a good example too though only 1 year older than P.K.

Subban is not a 5mil Dman just yet, but he should become a 6-7mil Dman over the next few years. If we pay him a shade under 5mil for 6+ years, we mitigate some of the risk by not overpaying by too much and could/should be getting a good deal on him after 2-3 years. If he doesn’t progress, it’s still a very tradeable contract.

I want to see a deal get done so we can have P.K. back in the line-up ASAP, but it has to make sense for both sides and be something both parties are happy with. My two biggest concerns are:

1) MB overpaying and messing up the cap situation (which seems unlikely to happen if he’s really lowballing P.K.)

2) Subban begrudgingly accepting a lowball offer leaving a bad taste in his mouth, and telling the team to shove it when he’s a UFA and able to walk away. Taming his sense of worth is okay, and sounds like he might need it a bit, but outright pissing him off and permanently damaging the relationship is a huge mistake.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• HardHabits says:

Excellent post. You and I are very much on the same page on this.

• K-hab25 says:

That about sums it up for me. You put in one well written post, what I’ve been saying for weeks. Great Post!!

• slimjim111 says:

Spot on!

Pretty much agree with you Mike D, thoughtful post, understanding to both sides and most importantly understandable to the Team.

• Mike D says:

^^Thanks gents. Nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way!

*Edit: This was meant to be a reply to all four of you. HH, K-hab, slimjim, and Burly.*

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• New says:

PK seems to be what everyone wants to talk about on the AC and here. None of what we think matters except to us.

When you look at last year’s team they were, as a team, horrid. The bright lights were Cole, DD, Pac, Price, Gorges, Emelin and sometimes Subban. They picked up Kaberle for Spacek because they needed something to spark the PP (remember how it tanked?) and PK and Spacek weren’t getting it done. Cammi was bottoming out and opening his yap, not good for a one trick pony, and got binned as well. Bourque choked. Everything went down hill until there was no more hill to go down.

Cole is paid 4.5, Pac is paid 1.6 now (4.5 starting next year), DD is 850K, Gorges is 3.9 and Pleks is 5. Now tell me where PK coming off entry level fits in there? Nowhere except in fans and the media’s mind. He is a solid D-man with potential whose shooting % is terrible and who doesn’t generate buckets of assists either, despite getting over 200 shots and playing most PP. He is often out of position to deliver a hit that leaves the road to the net open. He takes too many cheap penalties. He thinks he can wheel better than he can at this level and turns over the puck rather than using the other players. And you know what? That is not untypical of a 23 year old in the league.

In two more years PK could be negotiating a career contract for 6 or 5 million a year for the max under the CBA. Just as likely he could be settling in at 2.5. That is why they want two years. No side wants him to be another mistake contract although PK would accept that easier than Montreal would.

PK Subban is a good young player but he isn’t Orr, Chelios, Savard, Robinson, Lapointe, or Shae Weber. He is popular and great at PR. He is a RFA.

I admire Bergevin’s patience in the whole matter. Meehan is trying the new GM and team on. But hockey is a team sport, not an individual showcase. If the Habs lose tonight they are still better off w/o PK than they were with him. If they finish last they are no worse off. PK should have been riding this wave to a huge contract rather than demanding it now, before he or the team has accomplished anything.

A long time ago a fellow named Guy Lafleur was knocked out of action for a few games. The hysteria in Montreal and amongst the fans was depressing to everyone except the team. The coach said he’d move Cournoyer up to the first line. You would have thought the world was going to end. Every scribe with a gripe in town began to demand how Cournoyer could even be considered to replace the irreplaceable Guy. Fortunately the team didn’t pay any attention and Yvan scored five goals that night. He could have had more. He was the Captain and the team showed everybody something about hockey or any team sport they seem to ignore.

• JayBee says:

Talk about focusing on the negative. Good for you.

You list contracts of other players as if that matters. How much does Kaberle make? Prust makes how much? What about Markov? Gorges? PK is arguably the best dman on the team. Take your pick of any of the guys you listed and I too can pick apart their game.

• New says:

Thank you, I try. You’re missing the point. I want PK on the team and I want him given a chance to shine. But what fans and the media think is a fair price for him is nonsense. You all sit here and wonder why there hasn’t been an offer sheet, blame vast conspiracies or punitive rules, and ignore the obvious.

• Phil C says:

Good post.

Meehan himself is the source of the comparables. He listed Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, and Kane. They all make between $5.2M and $6M per year on long term deals. The main problem I have with this is that they are all forwards.

Here is the interview from 15 January. You can zoom to the 6:05 point when Meehan is asked to give comparables.

• Mike D says:

Thanks Phil. I actually watched that segment when it was aired live on TV. I picked up the same thing you did that the players he used as comparables are all forwards.

My other problem with that method of thinking is that just because other GM’s made mistakes and gave too much too soo for too long with their good young players, it doesn’t mean Montreal/MB should too. That behaviour, which our GM seems to be avoiding (or trying to), was part of the reason for the lockout in the first place and was also one of the concessions the owners were asking for…..which they didn’t get.

While I sided with the players during that whole fiasco, that was one point I agreed with the owners on. Not necessarily to the letter of what they were asking, but more the principle behind it.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

43. Whatever says:

Has anyone heard from a reliable source if Subban has come down from his asking price? Do some still feel the same way if Subban has not budged from $5.5 or $6 million/year for long term based on McKenzie’s info?

So much emotion based on so little information.

44. andykirstein says:

I like and feel good about what MB can do for this organization for the years to come. But aside from Prust and a few front office moves, he hasn’t done anything yet. PK is his first real test. He can’t blow this! His legacy may depend on it.
    He can’t trade him and has to sign ASAP. Trading is not an option.
    We all learned a huge lesson after Chelios and only a fool would repeat that again and MB doesn’t appear to be a fool (don’t prove me wrong MB).
    Get this done and get this done fast. It’s not about making a point, it’s about getting him
    Signed.
    If its a longer term deal that’s gets us there, so be it. Just because the previous management gave bridge deals to 67 and 31 doesn’t mean this group has to follow. The previous management was a disaster so lets not choose to endorse about 1 of the only intelligent things they did.
    PK is a rare breed that combines talent, speed, passion and complete lack of fear……
    In the last 2 decades can you remember anyone else who possessed these talents wearing the CH?
    No, me neither………

45. ed lopaz says:

so in front of more than 10,000 fans at the Halifax Metro Center, a Quebec Remparts team that was showing signs of unraveling when Duclair and Erne were sent home, defeated the Mooseheads 4-2.

Duclair had a goal, Erne an assist in the win.

Drouin had a goal and an assist in the loss and now has 62 points in 31 games.

But the big story for me is the Remparts seem to be heading back in the right direction, and hopefully the incident between the players is behind them.

I don’t think this will effect Duclair and Erne at the draft, Commandant.

46. munch17 says:

Why is 5 million $$ over 2 years ok for Del Zotto and Kulikov but a huge insult for PK?
    I can understand he may want more but if he thinks its an insulting offer he’s insulting some pretty good young players.

47. Habitforming says:

So $5.5 and $4.5 for Gomez…. $3.225 for Galchenyuk (bonuses included of course) $4.25 for Kaberle and PK is supposed to jump all over offers of a pro rated $2.2 and $2.9 and thank tem for it?

Bergevin has destroyed the possibility of PK staying. Even if he signs this season, he won’t forget this when he reaches his UFA years. Sometimes a bit of loyalty both ways pays off greatly in the future.

• tophab says:

bergevin is an idiot should have signed pk last year.if pk is not signed we should fire him.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I agree he needs to bend and pay PK more, but Bergevin didnt sign any of theose other guys excluding Galchenyuk ( and the 3.335 is only with bonuses if I’m not mistake, which is a very normal contract to give to a top 5 pick).

Doesn’t make any sense to hold up the other figures.

• Habitforming says:

The other firgues are just the people that Begevin has either bought out or could/should buy out (Kaberle) and it has nothing to do with him signing them or not. The fact he is willing to pay Gomez or Kaberle to not play for the team and yet not willing to pay PK to actually play and contribute to the team is a mystery to me. Especially when you add up the $15M being paid to those players who aren’t even playing for the team but PK making $4M is a number he can’t swallow? Makes no sense to me.

48. jmsheehy19 says:

On the topic of Don Cherry going after Yakupov for his celebration. Anyone else find it difficult to take serious an adult who dresses in red and yellow pattern suits telling an 18/19 year old to act with quiet humility and not showboat?