Multimedia: Pacioretty open to Swiss return should NHL season die

Max Pacioretty

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, beneath his Blue Jays lid, talks to reporters – a huge crowd of three – after practice in Candiac on Monday.
Stubbs video still

Audio: Habs NHLPA rep Josh Gorges: Clip 1 | Clip 2
Habs players well aware of “very dangerous” waning of fan passion: Stubbs column

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty skated on Montreal-area ice Monday for the first time since April 7, his team’s final game of 2011-12, in joining a handful of teammates, a couple of other NHLers and a few others for a practice of an hour and change.

Pacioretty spoke about the lockout, his health and fitness, and his brief experience in Switzerland, saying he’d be willing to return to the Swiss A League’s Ambrì Piotta club should the NHL season be cancelled entirely. He returned home after five games to care for an elbow that was troubling him.

Below: a video clip of Pacioretty and a little raw video of the skate.

1. chemic says:

Good Choice Max!

It will be a much more friendly place now Kevin Constantine is gone as a headcoach……but be careful and keep your head up because Dustin Brown has now entered the league!!!

2. Bripro says:

Sid the kid talks about the CBA frustrations.

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

3. Morenz7 says:

So Sportsnet magazine has a Best-Toronto-Maple-Leaf-Ever issue on the stands—just in time for Christmas!

Time to see if my Miroslav Frycer campaign paid off.

• Bripro says:

OK Hang on!
      The Laffs will benefit financially from your magazine purchase.
      And little of this HRR will benefit the players, and none for us, the fans.
      I thought we all agreed to never financially support anything NHL again.

4. scavanau says:

I grow angrier by the day…

5. slamtherimtim says:

what the players dont seem to understand is they are not giving anything back , there is no leauge right now so all it is , is what they are now going to get to play hockey going forward until the next contract is up , thats the whole point of a contract ,

13 days to jamacia

Enjoy Jamaica Man! Only been there once a few years ago and absolutely loved it! If you are staying anywhere near Ocho Rios, I highly recomend you go to a “restaurant” called Scotchies. It is where all the locals go for the best Jerk Chicken, Ribs, Sausage etc… they have their own butcher facilities on site and you can watch everything from the making of the meat to the smoking of it.

Ya Man!

• wjc says:

Well, that certainly makes sense……….?????? Slamtherimtim. I agree with everything you said except, the first paragraph and all the sentences in that paragraph. You should end your sentence with a period, however.

wjc

6. Bripro says:

First! …. oh, wait.
    Never mind.

Stubbs is updating the current Habs’ roster whereabouts on TSN 690 as I type this.

7. The Dude says:

I had to stop listening to Gorges and his rantings …he’s a good guy “and over-payed!” ,but the wrong spokesman for the team “Cole should be the guy”.

• Bripro says:

Overpaid…or over-played?

8. ed lopaz says:

with Mark Recchi advising the players to stop this foolishness and get back to hockey – because every day that passes means less and less money the players will earn this year – I think we may have finally turned the corner and could be heading towards a settlement.

the players will have to agree to a deal eventually, and in the end tomorrow’s deal will always be worth less than the deal they could have signed today.

Many said 2 months ago the players’ representation should have hammered out a deal in September even if that deal did not look too appealing at the time.

This is not baseball, Mr. Fehr. Most Americans have not even noticed that the NHL is not playing games.

Fehr was the wrong man for this job. The players needed someone who was prepared to bend so that a quicker deal could have been struck.

• Timo says:

Doctor, hockey play AND an adviser. Dr. Recchi is truly multi talented.

Perhaps the good Doctor will be the next commissioner of the NHL? There is no limits to his skill sets Timo!!!

• ed lopaz says:

in this case, Recchi’s specific experience is useful. having lived this a few times, Recchi understands that the players have no leverage here. the reason owners in the other major sports bend is because of public pressure. but the NHLPA never inspires that kind of support because NHL hockey simply gets overshadowed by the NFL, NBA, and College sports.

Ed, I agree, I was not poking fun at your assertion based on his view, but rather enjoying taking a shot at the Good Doctor.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“The players have no leverage” is an unsupported argument made by people who are frustrated that the players have leverage.

9. jols101 says:

Found this on HF Boards it is a great read on our boy Galchenyuk. Limited, if any, real computer skills so I just copied and pasted it here, probably not the right way to post a link but it is all I got:

• Habfan10912 says:

The link worked just fine jols. Interesting piece. Thanks for sharing

———————————–

I can’t remember the last time I was this excited about a draft pick of ours. Thanks for the link Jols!

• HardHabits says:

No need to say Tank™ You HH… but you’re welcome. :-P

So that was you skating for the Habs last year? Oh my goodness you really are a bad hockey player. No wonder the team finished so poorly. For that then I shall say, Thanks HH for being such a poor hockey player. :)

• HardHabits says:

What hockey player? I meant for psychologically preparing everybody in advance for the bottom feeding season which led to the high draft pick.

You have to thank Gainey/Gauthier/Martin for the Habs sucking so hard.

:) Psychologically preparing us?

• jols101 says:

Ya me too, I love this kid. I love Tinordi and Beaulieu as well but this guy is special. HFBoards is a great place to go to get more information and updates on him. They have already filled 4 threads and are working on the fifth just discussing him. Lots of great video and good post game reviews, like any discussion forum it has its fair share of “clowns”, but still a great site to check out.

• Ozmodiar says:

Bleacher Report-esque in its writing style, but a nice reminder that the Habs got a good one at #3.

10. Kfourn says:

A nice overview of where we’re at with the CBA negotiations http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/20249/back-to-the-lockout-now-where-were-we

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

11. Kfourn says:

From @GMillerTSN: “Question of the day at the Primetime Sports Management Conference: Will teams in the NFL, NHL and NBA permit advertising on their uniforms?”

Can you imagine advertising on Habs jerseys? What a travesty that would be.

_______________________________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

Bleed every last nickle out is the new policy of major league sports. I agree that it would tarnish the Habs jersey. Boston is another story. Refuse company, boxing gyms, 1-800-lawyers, the Boston zoo. The list is endless for potential sponsor’s.

———————————–

• Luke says:

It’ll happen. Sooner or later, but it will happen. And it’ll be HRR… and it’s probably being discussed, in some way, as part of these negotiations.

• Cal says:

All those soccer teams have those corporate logos on their jerseys. They might as well just read as S–T! Because that is what they look like. The logo on a jersey must be the team’s, and not Mr. Lube or any other company that wants space. The European hockey players don’t mind looking like clowns for their owners. I am hopeful that NHL players do mind.

• Luke says:

Which UK team has the Emirates right across the chest? I always found that funny… I’ve always thought some other team, oh say Arsenal should sponsor ManU. That would be terriffic.

Ads on the NHL jerseys will start off small and unobtrusive, not unlike the CFL: ones right now. Probably be a league wide sponsor at first. Every jersey has a “Ford” add on the left shoulder, or right chest. Eventually they’ll spread and, like the board ads, you won’t even notice them. And like the board ads, you’ll (well, the younger folks) will look back at a classic game and say “wow, no jersey ads. That looks so weird!”

Heck no one bats an eye at the arena names anymore. Or the names of the Bowl games.
          As for the players, they won’t be looking like clowns for their owners. They’ll be looking likwe clowns for themselves. If you put an ad on the jersey, at the very least it’ll be HRR and they’ll get their share. You will at some point run into problems… if Crosby has a national, but personal deal with Gatorade and Powerade buys jersey ads what happens etc etc…

It is inevitable and has already begun with Reebok etc… as league sponsor of jerseys. If indeed they go down this road, I hope they try and keep it limited to a couple small patches. The good thing if it does happen is a team like Montreal will be able to get an excellent sponsor, a company whose name would be synonymous with Hockey/sports etc… I can only imagine some of the companies a team like Columbus would have to find.

It would be similar to that of PGA golf where the leading players get the best sponsors, and the weaker players are walking around with cheesy sponsors.

• Bripro says:

A very good friend of mine is GM at the Easton plant on the west island of Montreal.
        They’ve tried to initiate jersey promotions for years.
        And he’s always been told that “discretion” is front and centre, not only for the Habs jersey, but this is an NHL-imposed criteria.
        I think we’re still sometime away before we see Finish (or European)-style jersey adds.
        *********************************************

I agree on sometime away for the billboard signs they wear in Europe. But I wouldn’t be surprised in the least to see some new little patches added to the jerseys. Perhaps not with this CBA but probably the next one. Can’t wait to cheer for the Skoda Jets of Winnipeg!

• Cal says:

The Reebok patch is more than enough. They do make the jerseys, after all. That, however, is where I draw the line. Patches look cheap and stupid, IMO. I really don’t give a damn if it brings the owners in more dollars.

It’s a shame that someone on the management side of the last CBA didn’t acknowledge and address the three major loopholes in the last collective agreement. Inside of taking advantage of them for their own self interest, they could have built them into the framework of the new terms of employment (in 2005) so that we wouldn’t have to have a work stoppage in 2012 to deal with them as the major impasse of the negotiations. With the player union down for the count, it would have been easy to do.

I haven’t bothered to do a tally but I wonder what percentage of the total player population would fall under the front loaded/multi year/cap diverting category ((Kovalchuk, Parise, Hossa) as well as the entry level leap frog 2nd contract based strictly on potential (Myers, Hall, Doughty)? Would it be 40 players in total? If so, that’s around 6% of the NHL labour force.

It’s no wonder that Fehr has front loaded his player reps with marginal players. Keep drinking the kool-aid boys (which is in ample supply on both sides of the table)

• Habfan10912 says:

Bang on 24. I just keep remembering Buttman telling us how we now have cost certainty and labor peace for years to come. Here we are again a few short years later dancing to the same old song.
      I sure hope BOTH parties get it right for the long term health of the game.

———————————–

Absolutely Steve, this is where Bettman completely screwed up. They had the players on bended knee and didn’t do their own due diligence on the framework and details of the deal they constructed.

A couple small fixes to that old CBA and the only thing they would be fighting over now is the split and perhaps that wouldn’t be as urgent if their wasn’t the ridiculous contracts we now see in the NHL.

But you can’t tell Gary he didn’t get it right, that would innuendo he made a mistake and Napolean doesn’t think he ever makes mistakes.

13. Bripro says:

NHL vs. NHLPA – Battle of the egos
    HIO vs. HIO – Battle of the opinionated

Makes for some interesting reading. Thanks to all who are well-informed, and to those misinformed, who offer entertainment.
    You know who you are….

• Habfan10912 says:

Maybe someday HIO will be a troll free site. Or at least an ignore button. CHeers.

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

Lads – Two quick points. I’ve been here pretty well from the beginning and I can honestly state that in terms of trolls and nutbars this is the best shape the site has been in for years now.

Secondly, it always interesting to visit other blogs and websites to see what kind of posters they have and the replies that follow articles and comments. In some cases it’s the lowest common denominator who rules the day. Very little of that here on HI/O.

• Habfan10912 says:

True. I enjoy being a poster here and have been blessed by having many new friends because of it. Thanks for a thoughtful, feet on the ground, post.

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

I just checked my profile and I noticed that yesterday marked my 5th anniversary on the site. It was five years ago this week that Dave Stubbs put me in touch with Mike Boone.

Man, does time ever fly.

• punkster says:

My first thought was…man, you’re old…though a quick check says my 5th anniversary is November 27.

I recall following the site for many months prior to signing up. It provided me with needed distractions, chuckles and some pretty damned good hockey insight during a rough period in my life.

The hockey news can be garnered anywhere and these days likely in far greater detail…but it’s the people here that make the place special.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

Jim and Steve.
          I’ve been here for over a year now, but followed the site for some time prior to that.
          There was a time when I thought better than to become a poster, because of some of the trolls you’ve referred to, Jim.
          But I have to agree 24, this is a far better and knowledgeable site than many U.S.-based sites, especially.
          Many here are very well informed, and many are just great people to communicate with. And I too have developed friendships because of it.
          As for the trollers, they can keep on doing whatever it is that they do.

14. Habfan10912 says:

Interesting take by Stu on last nights HOF ceremony/ CBA talks.

———————————–

• HabFanSince72 says:

Mats Sundin being there wasn’t a big enough negation of the whole premise of the thing?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

15. naweed235 says:

Wow never thought I would say this but Dr. Recchi actually makes sense: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/351145.html
    He is basically saying that now is the right time for the players to take the deal and start playing because as the time goes by more salary will be lost than gained by the CBA.

• chanchilla says:

Doc just wants a new CBA so he doesn’t die of old age.

• Habfan10912 says:

I wonder if he has an announcing or analyst job lined up? Funny, the very mention of his name now increases my heart rate. And to think I use to be a fan.

———————————–

• Morenz7 says:

He’s got a stake in the Kamloops Blazers, along with Doan, Iginla and Sydor—and Tom Gaglardi.

Together, the group has really turned that team around. Which is to say, I wonder whether he makes his way into management or even ownership at the NHL level. Say, in Dallas.

16. Ozmodiar says:

What’s up with the crazy comments this morning?? Did Nurse Ratched take the gang to an internet cafe for its weekly field trip? Sheesh

Jesse Joensuu – is this guy any good?
    25 years old, LW, 6’4″/235, 20 points in 16 games

EDIT: Looks like he still belongs to the Islanders. Any chance of a low level trade?

18. Morenz7 says:

Can anyone explain (belatedly) why Galchenyuk wasn’t playing with Team OHL in the series against the Russians? You’d think he’d have been a shoo-in for the Sarnia game..

Born American, and has chosen to represent U.S. in international events.

• Lafrich says:

Your response doesn’t make any sense.

• Kfourn says:

What’s so complicated? It’s Canada vs. Russia and he is neither Canadian nor Russian.

_______________________________________________________

• ont fan says:

Ahhh….I think it was the OHL against the Russians. Apparently the OHL roster was picked by Stan Butler, Mark Hunter and Kevin Prendergast head scout for Canadian junior program.

• Kfourn says:

OHL Canadian born players….

_______________________________________________________

He also has citizenship to Russia through his parents. He had a choice of which country he could represent. Sorry my comment didn’t have more context.

• Morenz7 says:

Ok, thanks all. Wasn’t aware of the Canadian-born element, but it makes sense given the no. of Russians in the CHL. It would be awkward to ask them to choose..

• Hobie Hansen says:

Wow, that was pretty hard to understand for a couple people lol.

• Luke says:

It has popped up in almost every thread the past two weeks, and I’m sure it’ll pop up again next week when they play the WHL…
        Kind of funny when you think about it.

• neumann103 says:

Some people appeared to get distracted by the interpretation of the Russian-ness of Galchenyuk. The original poster was not asking why AGally94 was not playing for the Russians. He was asking why he was not playing for the OHL.

The team was not described anywhere I saw as Team Canadian Born Players Playing in the OHL

I don’t think it is that hard to understand the lack of clarity. This think used to be called The Canada-Russia Challenge and was pretty self explanatory. Now that it is The Subway Super Series, not so much.

Last week I went straight to the website: http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/
        to try and answer the question “Will Galchenyuk be playing for the OHL (as an American)?”. I found nothing readily apparent on the site that said it was Canadian only players. A quick look at the OHL roster not only answered the specific question about AGally94, but the fact that they all had Canadian places of birth implicitly suggested that this was a Canadian junior player only spec.

The Russian players come from a mix of Professional leagues (majority play in the KHL) and the CHL. So what we have is a tournament of players who are:

Under some age. (Presumably 20?)
        Are either Russian or Canadian.
        If Russian, play either in a professional league like the KHL (or othrs?) or an amateur league like one of the three CHL leagues (QMJHL, OHL, WHL). Not sure if other non-professional leagues are also acceptable
        If Canadian, play one of the three CHL leagues (QMJHL, OHL, WHL).

Let’s make a Venn diagram of that!

What the rules are for the composition of these teams is in no way simple, and (at least in my experience) not discussed explicitly that much. I can understand confusion, and I don’t think it is a real failing of anyone’s comprehension.

“Et le but!”

19. nunacanadien says:

When the lockout ends, so should the habs experiment to see if small players can win a stanley cup. Enough of that already. But as long as Geoff Molson and Coors owns the habs this horrible experiment must continue. Never mind the lockout causing fans to lose passion for the habs, its this continual signing of small players like Prust that has to stop. The mighty mites have joined forces to what, give the puck away?

20. wjc says:

One thing I don’t understand:

Why playing hockey in Arizona is considered so bad. Why playing hockey where there happens to be a desert is so bad?

If hockey is the great spectator game everyone seems to think it is, why can it not be played anywhere. Ice is artificial, air conditioning makes Los Vegas work. Arizona is a proven sports spot for other big league teams.

Why do we play hockey in June when it is 85 degrees celcius and treat it as normal.

Do you really need snow to play anymore. Baseball used to be played in the afternoon. Lit up parks changed that. Baseball used to play outdoors, domes changed that. Baseball, basketball used to be play strickly in the states, but now are played in Canada.

Hockey expanded and expansion always takes time. The younger generation will discover the game and play it. It could be outdoor/indoor ball hockey or regular ice hockey or field hockey. They will get enthused and drag their parents to the game. Then get hooked on it and then you have L.A. clone.

wjc

• Luke says:

Hockey in the sunbelt has a few major hurdles, but it’s not that the game doesn’t belong there.
      There are too many other things to do. Go Golf, or to the beach, or go watch the other major sports or college teams etc.
      The teams in these area seem to be routinely poorly run. There is an absolute gong show around some of them.
      People support a winner. Or at least a try-er. Not everyone is as blindingly loyal as a Leafs fan. Bad crowds in Florida are cured by a competitive, successful team.
      You mentioned it as well… it’s a generational shift too.

• wjc says:

Too many things to do anywhere, the world is changing as we speak. Do you think Montreal/Toronto do not have distractions that were not there before. Telephones, video games, 3d movies, ufc’s, wrestling, other sports, super sized tv’s, concerts, protests, riots, drinking binges, women, orgies, strip joints, porno’s on and on, school, jobs, wives, chasing women…married and single, s and m. household chores, particpating in sports, internet everything.

Yet we find time for “the good old hockey game”.

wjc

• Luke says:

“Luke, Montreal hasn’t won anything in 20 years and the loyalty remains. When you have to scramble for fans, you can seem poorly run. Montreal/Toronto fans come out of habit perhaps, but come they do, without coaxing and pay outlandish prices for tickets happily, gladly.”

- Yes, of course. But you were asking about the Southern US. Not Canada, where the game has been ingrained over the course of a hundred years into our fabric. Montreal and Toronto will never want for fans, but when times were rough the other Canadian teams saw a drop off. Additionally, there is no other major sport in any Canadian city witht the exception of Toronto, and those teams are awful as well. (Apologies to the CFL). In all of the US markets, there are either College or Major sports teams competing for the same sports dollar.

I don’t think any of the players on the Yotes will tell you it is bad playing in Arizona. However, as it relates to growing the game in that area, there is a long list of reasons why it hasn’t yet picked up.

FIrst and foremost, you are in a climate where playing sports like baseball, football, golf are popular and are played year round.

The cost of hockey in a region like that will be very expensive, arenas need to be built and operated.

Cost of hockey equipment for kids in that area will be more than the other sports as well. There is also less hockey people living there to provide coaching etc….

The other option is to instead put some teams in markets where the hockey culture is strong, for example Quebec City or Hamilton etc….

• wjc says:

The climate is bad for any sport, baseball can be played indoors, for climate control. Is football played indoors for the same reason.

In golf you are mostly riding a cart and hitting a ball once in a while, no real exertion. Then you go into air conditioning and have some refreshments.

I think football equipment would be expensive as well. Arena’s were built in California, when there is a need they will be built.

Make no mistake there is plenty of “dough” in Arizona to support whatever becomes popular. Coaching can be learned, hockey is not that complex…skate, shoot, pass the basics will get you by.

You cannot flood a market, like Canada and grow the game. Hamilton takes away from Buffalo as does Markham. Toronto would be hurt. Quebec takes away from Montreal and Ottawa perhaps.

If you want to attract the fans in the States where all the population is and sell center ice packages, and pay per view and attract television audiences (NBC) you have to have a presents there. Saskatoon and Markham or Hamilton will not do this. Sorry!

You have to make new fans, to appreciate the game and all it has to offer. People like Bettman project into the future and realize that is where the real growth lies.

Tim Horton (the hockey player) started a coffee and donut shop in the 60′s, the first one was probably ho hum. They slowly caught on and now everyone knows what a “Timmies” is. It took vision and time to grow it into what it has become.

The players play, the owners own, they hire a commissioner with a vision. Doan could have come back to Canada and played, he chose to stay in Phoenix and help them grow it. He will probably be a part owner someday….who knows?

wjc

How about we just agree that you are right and the rest of us are always wrong when it comes to discussions with you. Would that make everything easier? Seems dialogue with you is pointless.

• Mattyleg says:

Have to disagree with you here.

In Canada, kids grow up skating on outdoor rinks and taking advantage of the many, many rinks in every municipality of the country.

Down in the south, that situation does not exist. There are not arenas in every municipality for people to learn how to skate, nor are there people to teach them, and there are certainly not hockey equipment distributors who stock the shelves of sports stores with their goods.

Why isn’t cricket a bigger sport in Canada? We have plenty of money here to buy bats, pads, balls, and our climate supports it, and there is enough cricket on TV to at least create an interest in the sport.

I’ll tell you why; it’s because there is no tradition of playing cricket in this country (or one that has lasted since the 19th Century, anyway), and watching our national team play in tournaments isn’t going to get people flooding to wickets around the country.

The same goes for hockey in the desert. There is no tradition there, and a single, under-attended hockey team is not going to change things.

It’s a bad idea.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kfourn says:

In a word: tradition

_______________________________________________________

• Chris says:

A non-traditional market like San Jose has done just fine. So I think we would all agree it is more complicated than that.

There are tons of things that go into developing a team. You need a strong ownership group with a good marketing department.

You need an exciting and attractive environment at the games.

You need a continued improvement in the early years as your fan base builds up, rewarding the fans’ loyalty and patience with improved play on the ice.

You need corporate support to sell out the lucrative private boxes.

The Phoenix Coyotes have struggled in a number of areas.

The original arena, America West Arena, was built without any consideration of a potential hockey team, and could only seat about 16,000 fans with terrible sight lines in many cases. The eventual move to Glendale’s Jobing.com Arena was plagued by terrible transportation; allegedly, there was no return public transportation options after games for many years, leaving it as the least accessible arena in professional sports.

The team benefit tremendously from its inheritance of star players such as Keith Tkachuk, Nikolai Khabibulin and Shane Doan, and landed a marketable “name” in Jeremy Roenick, helping them be respectable out of the gate to build a fan base.

But their ownership has been a mess. Since moving to Phoenix in 1996, the Coyotes have had five ownership groups:

1996-2001 : Jerry Colangelo, Richard Burke, Steven Gluckstern (subsequently bought out by Burke in 1998)
        2001-2005: Steve Ellman
        2005-2009: Jerry Moyes
        2009-Present: NHL
        Future: Greg Jamison

Jamison, who was a major player in the San Jose Sharks’ success from day one, has the knowledge of what it takes to build a team from the ground up. The Coyotes perhaps suffered from the fact that they had too good a team from the start, and perhaps didn’t do enough to develop a loyal fan base through the tough times that most expansion teams go through.

But that arena is an anchor. I don’t think the issue is hockey in Phoenix, so much as the fact that the appropriate arena in downtown Phoenix wasn’t suitable for hockey.

• Bripro says:

Chris, I always read your blogs, and respect most of them.
          But on this I’ll hold reservation.
          Even if Jamison knows how to run an organization from the ground up, will he have the proper tools to work with? Can he afford to delegate to the extent that it’s required?
          As for the word “hockey” in Phoenix, I know for a fact (from a few friends who’ve made it their home) that when the word is mentioned, there’s a lot of groaning and dismissive reactions.
          The locals now consider the NHL a joke in that market. It will take a great deal of investment, of both time an money, to return the team to respectability.
          IMO, it would be easier to move the franchise to a Canadian-based hockey-crazed market.

• Chris says:

I’m not disagreeing at all with you, Bripro. I was merely pointing out that the gong show in Phoenix was probably not a lack of tradition but a litany of errors and oversights that led to the present situation.

And like you, I don’t have much faith that they can resurrect the franchise, at least so long as the they are trying to do it in Glendale. Like the Corel Centre in Ottawa, they tried to spur development by anchoring it around an arena that didn’t make much sense otherwise.

I don’t know if people ever tried getting out to the Corel Centre in its early days, but it was a nightmare. The thing was built significantly outside of Kanata, and the bus ride to games was basically 30 minutes each way. With 7:30 p.m. start times, that did not leave a lot of time for people to get home from work and get to the game.

I think Jamison probably has a clause that allows him to move the team if they continue to lose money which is why he’s getting involved.

As for moving it to Canada, there are really only two viable markets left: Toronto and Quebec City. I still think Hamilton is a pipe dream. And it is not at all clear to me that Toronto can support a second team, as evidenced by how unbelievably difficult it has been for the Senators to manufacture a fan base out of fans that had cheered for Toronto or Montreal growing up. What makes people think it will be any easier right in the heart of the Leafs’ base? I just don’t see it.

Toronto is full of Leafs fans, not hockey fans. They don’t support AHL teams or junior hockey teams whatsoever. I know that a team in Markham or Mississauga looks attractive, but I just don’t see it.

And Hamilton does not have the local money to support a team, and any reliance on game traffic from Toronto, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo and London to keep that team afloat is probably hopelessly naive.

• Old Bald Bird says:

We have winter to relate to, and the sport is in our tradition and blood. Honestly, when you stop and analyze it, most games are pretty doggone unexciting, so when you don’t have the tradition in your spirit, it’s too easy to turn off.

21. centre hice says:

LET THE FANS DECIDE!

Since it’s OUR money they’re fighting over, let the fans decide the next CBA.

Seriously, get a third party to arbitrate a deal.

If there is no season, then there is no money. So what are the fighting over?

• Ozmodiar says:

The NHL won’t let an arbitrator have the final say on this deal.

• wjc says:

Centre hice: First of all, when you hand over your money, it is no longer your money, it becomes their money to do with as they see fit.

A third party could not make both sides agree, they would say “not acceptable”. Too big for an arbitrator to arbitrate to anyone’s satisfaction .

If there is no season, players big loser, owners will lose, but long term gain is the sole purpose. Most players come and go, owners are in for the long haul.

You cannot have a season for the sake of a season you have to settle things so you make the right deal.

Make no mistake players will be the big losers in the long run. But some are already rich so no big deal, I mean how much money can you spend in a lifetime.

wjc

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, not a good precedent.
      Teachers and nurses are paid through government tax money, paid for by citizens who haven’t the first clue about what either of them do.

Teachers get tons of vacation time, and don’t work a full week.
      Nurses are underqualified and undereducated doctors who are never there when you need them.

…are just some of the uninformed ‘opinions’ I’ve heard from your average taxpayer.

Should we let them decide what teachers and nurses get paid?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• jmsheehy19 says:

The people who bash teachers are stunning to me.

Most work far more than 40 hours a week. And they do so to make sure the kids of those people bashing them have a chance at a successful career down the road.

They do get a lot of vacation, but most parents want a vacation from their own kids. Imagine having to deal with 20-30 kids that aren’t your own.

• Bripro says:

Post of the day!
          I was on two schools’ governing boards for years.
          I did this selfishly, to know what was going on at my kids’ respective schools.
          In doing so, I developed some true friendships with most of the teachers. Finer people you will be hard-pressed to meet.
          And selfless. Selfless of their time, their energy, their pitiful incomes (they fork over out-of-their-own-pocket money for a great deal of projects).
          They fight the losing battle against a minister of education which lacks both education and proper administration.
          I’ve repainted my son’s entire school hallways because these people deserve it. I’ve run the annual “teacher appreciate BBQ day” every year for the same reasons.
          They love the kids, even if only for a short period of time.
          And I would select a teacher over most any other profession, when searching for a positive character influence.
          There are obviously a few exceptions, but isn’t that the same for life in general?

22. Habfan10912 says:

Good for Patches throwing the blame at Buttman. Remember, it was the Buttman/Jacobs marriage that almost got this young man killed. Now it appears that same Buttman/Jacobs marriage, along with Fehr, are doing their best to kill the game.

———————————–

• wjc says:

Who do you think Patches is going to blame. Yea, conspiracy theories. Molson is a victim. It is all Bettman and Jacobs and Fehr. Molson is just twiddling his thumbs…..going Duh!

Yea, Jacobs wants to kill the game. Makes perfect sense. Bettman wants to kill the game he grew by a billion dollars. Instead of the players being in awe, they say more, more, more.

I picture Fehr with a black hat on saying, “I’ll finish the job”. The players wanted Fehr because they knew he had be a successful negotiator for other sports and give Bettman a run.

Well so far, so good. No surprises here. Two strong leaders, lets see where it goes.

wjc

• Habfan10912 says:

Thank you for taking the time from your paper route to respond.
      Just a couple things Buddy. I never said Jacobs wanted to destroy the game. I said that their strategy was. My apologies for not making that clear enough for you to understand. Second. I know what I saw with Patches. It is WHAT it is.
      Now if I may here is a little bussiness tip. Don’t be so condescending, arrogant, and pompous around your customers. You will get bigger tips.

———————————–

• wjc says:

Hey a paper route is still a job, I keep people informed maybe you should subscribe. And further more “I am not your Buddy”, maybe someday but I have papers to deliver.

You are playing semantics “big guy”. “Jacobs doesn’t want to destroy the league, it is just their strategy. I may be a lowly paper boy, but what the hell does that goobly goop mean.

Hey, I will be as condescending, arrogant and pompous as you think I am….I am not in it for the tips…I am in it for the love of the paper route……think about the deeper meaning of that statement, buddy.

wjc

• Habfan10912 says:

I was going to use the word “friend” instead of buddy but guessed you would have no idea what a friend is. Thank you so much for not ruining my image of you. Happy trolling!

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Jim’s on the attack!
            Ever get the feeling that you’re wasting your breath with some?
            Don’t let him get to you, buddy. And I mean that in the truest sense of the word.

23. Mike D says:

If anyone’s interested, Wayne Gretzky is on the Fan 590 right now:

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Habfan10912 says:

Now we’ve finally reached songs that I grew up to. A pretender for sure. Nice one Cal.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

The platters, eh? Good job Cal.
      Some irony in taking a song vocalizing Mr. Platitude.

24. centre hice says:

It’s not his fault.

Someone needs to tell Max that Montrealers don’t wear Blue Jays caps.

Max, Max… Sigh. Shows that hockey players should stick to what they do best – push a round piece of rubber with a stick thingy.

26. db says:

Well there’s one player that states clearly Bettman is the problem. I haven’t heard much player talk like this, although I haven’t been looking (not even here) often. I can’t disagree, but in this case I don’t believe the elder Fehr is any better. Seems like both sides have capable #2 guys, though. Meh…

I’m glad that Max is in Montreal for long term and I hope he keeps improving his wicked snap shot :)

Always loved Sakic… it’s no fluke it rhymes with Magic, the guy had moves and dangles at high speeds, a fantastic shot and the heart of a lion. And he makes funny faces.

27. AceMagnum says:

So did Cote have any comment at all about the hit or is he too busy making out with Ron Hainsey?

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

28. Phil C says:

I feel so bad for Geoffrion, he was about to break into the NHL, he may have even been the answer to the missing top-six winger the Habs desperately need. Now playing hockey again is probably the least of his worries as I really hope he has no lasting brain injury issues. On the positive side, this was probably literally millimeters from being much worse, so in that sense he is fortunate.

It is considered a clean check by pretty much all accounts. But I will still take a shot arguing otherwise. The definition of a charge from the NHL rule book is as follows:

“Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.”

To me , Cote’s check meets all the criteria of a charge. He came flying across the ice (distance traveled), then checked in a violent manner, hard enough to lift Geoffrion off the ice and dump him head-first on the ice. He even knocked himself down. Is this not a violent check, even if you ignore the unlucky skate/head contact? The rule says in any manner, the test is the violence of the check as a result of distance traveled, not whether or not the mechanics of the check were clean. If you do not consider this a violent check, what would it take for a check to cross the line for you?

Let’s word it another way, if a player does not jump or skate into the player, but glides in at high speed and makes contact with his shoulder, without the head being the principle point of contact, is this always a clean check, even if it destroys a vulnerable player?

I think this is how it is currently interpreted. As long as the mechanics of the check are “legal” (ie, no jump, no striding in, shoulder or hip first, avoiding the head), it is considered a clean check regardless of how much damage it inflicts.

I think it should be enforced as it’s written, in that the ref can assess whether or not the check was too violent as a result of distance traveled by the checker. Who would want to play a sport where it is legal to be concussed or worse as long as the check is clean? They certainly didn’t play that way before they wore helmets, so it makes me think that we have not been good custodians of the sport in the last 40 years. We have allowed the sport to become too violent, IMO.

I like the way Emelin body checks. He hits them hard, knocks them down most of the time, but the other player is usually not injured, other than his pride.

29. otter649 says:

The Blue Jays Cap that Pacs is wearing is one of a kind in MLB as every other team in MLB uses lettering on their caps except Toronto which for the time being is the only team with a logo and no lettering…..

Sundin, Sakic, Oates and Bure enter Hall of Fame. Sakic laps the rest of this year’s field by a country mile. Easily one of the top 25 players of all time.

• Kevy says:

I agree 100% and I know it’s Greatnes x Time but what if Bure stayed healthy???

• 24 Cups says:

The only blight against Bure was the rumour that he asked to have his contract re-negoiated during the Cup finals or he wouldn’t suit up. I can’t let go of stuff like that.

The whole health issue is always a tough call. Orr, Mario and Bossy being prime examples. Could you imagine if each of these guys played 20 years?

• Bripro says:

I agree. Bure was a phenomenal player on a team not nearly as loaded as Sakic’s. I’m not dismissing his greatness, but Bure was as good, for a shorter stretch.
        No one will argue the person that Sakic was, for certain.

• mrhabby says:

Right Steve and a class act.

• Chris says:

My rule is that you have to mentally swap players to assess their impact. It is something we will never know, but…

What if Quebec had traded Joe Sakic instead of Mats Sundin?

How many career points does that cost Sakic and give Sundin?

How many Stanley Cups does Joe Sakic win with the Toronto Maple Leafs supporting cast that Sundin endured? How many Stanley Cups does Mats Sundin win if he’s the first/second line centre in Colorado?

It is my personal belief, but I truly and honestly believe that Sundin and Sakic were equivalent players unfortunately put into widely disparate situations.

I’ll take both of them on my team, any day of the week.

• Ozmodiar says:

I’ve always preferred Sakic to Sundin, but one has to wonder how Sundin would have done with Forsberg and Roy on his team.

• Chris says:

I really liked both players. They were both unbelievably talented and very classy. Sakic was a bit smoother, Sundin was more physically imposing.

The greatest travesty of the past twenty years was that Sundin was forced to toil with the likes of Tucker, Thomas, Roberts, and Antropov as his wingers while his similarly talented peers had superstars to play alongside them.

The next victim of that seems to be John Tavares, who is being screwed over by an inept Islanders management team. That kid is an elite level talent forced to play with poor man’s versions of true star wingers.

• rhino514 says:

Sundin had four full seasons with the Nordiques and only had one great year out of the four during that span.
            Sakic was a better player than Sundin. no knock on Sundin, but Sakic is probably one of the top 25 players of all time as 24 Cups alludes, Sundin is not close to being in that group.

• Chris says:

rhino514:

Sundin’s rookie season as an 19 year old second line center (23 goals and 59 points in 80 games) was not too far off the rookie season of Joe Sakic as a 19 year old first line center (23 goals and 62 points in 70 games).

In their respective second seasons, Sakic posted 39 goals and 102 points in 80 games, while Sundin posted 33 goals and 76 points in 80 games.

In year three, Sakic posted 48 goals and 109 points versus Sundin’s 47 goals and 114 points.

In year four, Sakic had 29 goals and 94 points in 69 games, versus 32 goals and 85 points for Sundin, who had been shifted to left wing to accommodate the Nordiques’ depth at centrr with Sakic and the recently drafted Mike Ricci and Calude Lapointe.

Sakic was clearly ahead in three of the four seasons at comparable ages, and the two were equivalent in one of the seasons. The big difference was that Sakic was the top-line center, while Sundin was doing his damage from the #2 pivot spot or while shifted onto the wing, which necessarily would have dropped his point totals.

I remember watching the Nordiques with Sakic and Sundin and I thought both guys were equally devastating. Sundin was a beast in the exciting first round matchup between Quebec and Montreal in 1992-93, powering down the wing in many of those games in a manner very similar to Jaromir Jagr at the same time.

When the best played the best in the Olympics, nobody stood taller than Mats Sundin. Compare Sakic’s international numbers on the world stage (48 GP, 22 G, 41 PTS, including 6 goals and 13 points in 16 career Olympics games) versus those of Sundin (69 GP, 36 G, 83 PTS, including 11 goals and 20 points in 19 career Olympics games).

When Sundin was given an elite level supporting cast, his dominance was apparent for all to see. Sundin was the best player and the inspirational leader on Sweden’s national team, a team that I followed intensely, as they played MUCH bigger rivals like Canada and Russia very tough.

31. frontenac1 says:

Corrado scores to make it 2-0 OHL vs Russia in 3rd.

32. ABHabsfan says:

Just caught a bit of the HHOF induction stuff and Patrick Roy is talking about Sakic;…” when Montreal decided I was going to be traded…”
    Really, there Patty? ‘Cause I remember it a little differently. More like “that’s the last game I play here!”.
    Man, and to think there were lots of fans who wanted this delusional (but very talented) egomaniac as our coach and/or GM. Dodged a bullet the Habs did.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Patty’ was saying what He said in the heat and passion of the moment …a President and General Manager with a cool rational and wise head on Their shoulders would have taken a deep breath and not let Their best and most popular franchise Player walk-away to the former-Quebec Nordiques
      …’Patty’ is just sayin’ His words were spoken in the heat of the moment …as if most of Us have never said stupid things in the heat of the moment ?

• ProHabs says:

Agree with Surrey here. Those bumbling idiots should have taken a step back, calmed King Patrick down, stroked his ego and keep him happy so that he plays his whole career in Montreal and wins us 3 more cups on his own. Corey, Houle, Tremblay, bunch of morons.

• ABHabsfan says:

Not saying that they weren’t a bunch of fools, they definitely were. It was the trade that sunk the Habs for many years; in fact we are probably still counting them.
          But Patrick Roy forced the issue, habs management didn’t just decide to trade him. The whole thing still makes me mad, what a clusterf***. I remember watching that game against the Wings.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• commandant says:

Serge Savard was moments away from trading Patrick Roy to Colorado for Owen Nolan and Stefan Fiset when he was fired.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Timo says:

Still would have been better than what Reggie pulled.

• Chris says:

That was not the trade that sunk the Habs. Roy was exposed behind a terrible defence corps.

The trades that killed the Habs were Desjardins and Schneider, who should have been long-term anchors on a very good Montreal blue line. Instead, we had Malakhov and Brisebois playing out of their element.

• kempie says:

Chelios says hi.

• wjc says:

Two things: Montreal could not afford him anymore….Canadian dollar and taxes.

Roy retracted his statement, but Montreal pounced on a trade.

Roy was the franchise, but would have been needing/demanding 6 million dollars, on a 30 million plus payroll. It would have never worked.

wjc

33. Boomer says:

Camara looks and plays like an animal!! big hitter!
    naturally he’s a Boston Bruin pick… :(

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…this Scott Radley report on Geoffrion’s serious injury is what I have been frustrated not to find from any Montreal media or sports journalists
      …quite embarrassing if I was one of those Montreal so-called ‘journalists’

• Dave Stubbs says:

Here’s an update for you: Colleague Brenda Branswell has a similar story on Blake Geoffrion that she’s worked on today and has written. As I type these words, her story simply hasn’t been uploaded yet. This morning, I had a story in print as the only journalist in Montreal or elsewhere to have spoken Sunday with Canadiens chief surgeon David Mulder about Blake (furthering the information I had online Saturday after a chat that morning with Dr. Mulder), on a day that Danny Geoffrion wasn’t speaking to the media about his son.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
        Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
        • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
        • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You gotta admit, though, Dave, Radley posted a very intimate and well-written report on a story that should be first out of one of Montreal’s media …French or English

• Dave Stubbs says:

Wonderful story, yes.

And I won’t admit that the story “should” be first out of a Montreal media source.

Brenda was in touch with the Canadiens from early this morning and it was the luck of the draw when she’d get a phone call from Danny Geoffrion (it came around 5 pm ET), who was in transit from Boston to Nashville. If Danny had called Brenda before he called Scott, her story would be online first.

This isn’t a scoop, by the way. It’s a fantastic human-interest story that deserves wide coverage. Josh Cooper of The Tennessean in Nashville wrote it before Scott; Josh and I spoke on the phone this morning while I drove to Candiac to cover practice, as he and I had spoken Sunday as well. The Geoffrions are a huge name in Nashville and Blake plays in Hamilton. Reporters in those cities have contacts.

And so you know: my friend Andie Bennett of CBC Daybreak in Montreal had Danny Geoffrion on the air Monday morning before anyone, so props to Andie.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
            Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
            • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
            • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the important thing from Radley’s piece is this was a very close-call for Blake, and a lot of soul-searching will understandably be done before He decides to return to hockey

…an illustration of how finite an athlete’s career can be

…and, as an older Fan, I very much was looking forward to another Geoffrion on Our Team

…as a father, though, in Danny’s shoes, I would be leaning to telling My Son there are a lot of other very worthy things He can consider for Him to do with His Life

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have to give Patches benefit of My doubt, being a well-meaning Yank and all …but, He gotta learn NOT to wear anything symbolic of that poop-village in Ontariarrrio if He wanna survive in Morealll
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

35. HabFab says:

@Stubbs
    But how do we fix the problem?

And what does Patches consider fair?

36. Habilis says:

Steve Fehr: “When the moment is right, a deal will be done very quickly.”

Thanks for that nugget of wisdom, Steve. It’s nice to know that 58 days into a lockout that is doing incalculable damage to the sport, you guys are only a few hours from a deal. If that’s the case then every day that passes without a deal means that you guys did absolutely nothing. Par for the course I guess.

Oh but wait, the moment has to be right. I guess that makes sense. You wouldn’t want to do anything crazy like save as many games as possible so that the league doesn’t spiral slowly into oblivion. The moment has to be right after all.

What a farce.

37. HabFab says:

If you have twitter, you can read the jest of Stubbs interview with Gorges.

38. JoaquindaPark says:

Don’t bother posting the Gionta and Gorges segments, unless they are finally going to take their wads out of the sand and acknowledge that, once again, their PA leadership has mislead them, and that they are going to sign the last offer. If its the party line, they will just further tarnish their image.

While I understand your point, I don’t think we can blame players like Gorges and Gionta for speaking the way they are. They are part of a union, they are standing up for what they believe is right.

My issue is if Donald Fehr really cares about what happens to the players if indeed they don’t get what he has promised or told them they should get. Donald Fehr is a very bright man who has the players believing in him. I get frustrated also by these interviews, but I cannot blame the players for speaking as they do for now. Will be interesting to hear from them later on if this continues to drag, or perhaps hear their thoughts about this matter after their careers are over.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

How have those people been mislead, and how have their images been tarnished?

• frontenac1 says:

Gio and Georges are Stand up guys. The kind of guys you would go into any battle or street fight with. Bettman or some of these owners? Are you freakin kidding me? Jeeze has it come to this ?

39. Mr. Biter says:

Interesting fact: Only 3 ex professional athlete’s (Mario, Micheal Jordan and Nolan Ryan) are MAJORITY owners in a traditional Major Professional Sport Team (NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL). I Do not count NASCAR.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

I am sure I read somewhere that Mario is not the majority owner, I don’t say this as fact but rather something I recall reading. Beginning research now…..

Edit: Ron Burkle is listed as Co-Majority Owner. BUt he is a Billionaire, hard to find out who owns what percentage.

BUt the gist of your point is well taken.

Magic Johnson does have some ownership of L.A. Dodgers, but far from majority.

40. commandant says:

Sasha Barkov is the 4 nations U-20 MVP.

Incredibly impressive accolade for a 17 year old in this tourney.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• SlovakHab says:

He will look really good in Blue Jackets / Islanders / Leafs uniform.

• Boomer says:

Habs slovak! habs uniform!!
        There’s no doubt Mackinnon is the top dog this year but my favorite guy in the draft is this kid, there’s something about his play… Mackinnon is the overall 1st pick and if the Habs somehow win the lottery I’d be so happy if they chose him…. but there’s something about that kid Barkov… I hope that we land him. please don’t let him be a leaf!!

• SlovakHab says:

Oh I would love another top-3 pick in our jersey.

Barkov – Galchenyuk – Collberg?
          Galchenyuk – McKinnon – Collberg?

Hell yes!
          but what is the chance – when the system is set up so that the most dynamic, exciting players always get drafted by the most useless teams? Or that the Leafs can benefit from the lockout and have 3 balls in the draft lottery?

41. HabFab says:

Serious has his latest prospect report out.

42. HabFab says:

Steve Fehr say’s only three outstanding issues left to resolve…piece of cake right?

43. Bripro says:

I find it oddly coincidental that both Steve Fehr and Daly were saying, up until the weekend, that their talks were promising and that they had covered a lot of ground.
    Enter Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman, and the whole thing just seems to fall apart again.
    If they’re going to let their egos get in the way, then they need a mediator. Now!

44. HabFab says:

DD playing in his first game in Europe, no points after 2 periods.

45. RobertAlanFord says:

Ouch. Watch what you say to the media Max. Owners are getting fined a cool million for voicing their opinions against the lockout. A very odd weapon to have against those who voted “unanimously” in your favour, or even to have one at all.

No worries bud, I smell it too…..

@RAFord77

46. HabFab says:

Great news, Patches said the players will be back playing as soon as Bettman gives in.

Perhaps Mario should remind Sid about all the free rent he got living with the Lemieux family that first while in Pittsburgh. ;-)

• Timo says:

You know Burly, I think THIS is the sticking point of the whole CBA negotiations. Mario wants his rent money.

• Kooch7800 says:

He saved Mario’s shit franchise though as well…..Mario was protecting his biggest asset.

The solution is simple….scrap 6 teams from the league…no more revenue sharing and better hockey. Lost big tv deal gone but you gain more than the 6.66 mill a season you get from it and make more money

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

What the heck is Max doing wearing a Blue Jays Cap! Come on Max find an Expos Cap. Kidding aside, great to see him showing support to Canadian things like that. Always annoyed me when players from a cities team would wear a ball cap from a complete different city. Given there is no Expos hard to fault him for wearing the Blue Jay cap.