Pacioretty not on the ice for Lac-Mégantic practice

The Canadiens hit the ice at 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the Centre Sportif Lac-Mégantic for a practice in the town that was devastated this summer by a train-derailment disaster.

The arena, which holds about 1,000 people, was packed when the Canadiens started practice without Max Pacioretty on the ice. Pacioretty appeared to suffer an upper-body injury during the team’s season-opening 4-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday night at the Bell Centre and took a therapy day. There was no update on the condition of George Parros, who suffered a concussion during that game in a fight with Colton Orr. The Canadiens said on Wednesday that he was out indefinitely after being released from hospital.

Before practice, the Canadiens held a private session with Lac-Mégantic mayor Colette Roy-Laroch and city council. After practice the Canadiens were to head outside the arena to sign autographs for fans.

“We wanted to show the people of Lac-Mégantic we support them,” David Desharnais said. “It was nice to see so many smiles today.”

Said Francis Bouillon: “Driving three hours to be here was nothing. We’re proud to be able to be here. It was a good day for everyone.”

Brandon Prust didn’t make the trip to Lac Megantic because of family reasons.

Here’s what the lines and defence pairings looked like at practice:

White-Bournival-Moen
Gionta-Plekanec-Bourque
Brière-Desharnais-White
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher

Subban-Gorges
Diaz-Markov
Bouillon-Tinordi

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs bring some cheer to Lac-Megantic, by Pat Hickey

Practice with a purpose, Canadiens.com

Avs coach Roy fined $10,000 for outburst, montrealgazette.com

1. Mick says:

You really can’t fix stupid.
    If after 5 games DD is still Therrien’s pet and his #1 center.
    Therrrien, would then have to be considered stupid or we have a French born son, who is the manager and coaches favorite.
    We know we can’t fix stupid.
    Can we fix the other problem?

2. John Q Public says:

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
    51 51 51 51, 51 51 51 51, 551 551 551, 3774211
    Make of it what you will.

• krob1000 says:

I played this backwards on my record player and it says something about Muller captaining the 24th cup, Lucky, lucky is Carey Price and then some inexplicable back and forth other worldy debate between Jacques PLante (the ultimate player protection advocate) and all of the tough guys who have worn 55 over the years including (Garth Butcher, Bryan Allen, Erskine, Troy Crowder,Ben Eager, O’Brien, Ulanov, Sean HIll, Tiger Williams and Jordin Tootoo,etc) over the Parros incident….the debate seems to be continuing endlessly….
      Of course you can only interpret this is you play the numbers in reverse

3. SteverenO says:

Until recently I was a fan of hockey fights, I really enjoyed the occasional brawl, where all to skaters, and sometimes the goalies, would drop their gloves and square off.

I heard someone on the radio say something which made me change my mind. How can the NHl justify a mandatory helmet rule (supposedly to protect the players) while still allowing players to bare-knuckle punch each other in the head?

Upon further reflection, I would prefer that they go back to helmets being optional and keep the fighting in the game. But making helmets mandatory and “condoning” fighting makes absolutely no sense at all.

Without helmets I believe there would fewer injuries, players would go back to keeping their sticks on the ice. A player without a helmet would think twice before crashing full speed into an opponent next to the boards.

Also can you imagine if you had NOT seen Lafleur’ hair flying behind him when he skated full speed down the wing?

Today’s game all the players look pretty much the same, were it not for lareg screens TVs and High Definition it would be impossible to identify a player without help from the announcer (who quite often call the wrong names, anyway).

Looking forward to a great season with many ups and downs.
    I predict, or at least I hope that Therrien will be replaced before the season ends. the sad part is that he is not a BAD coach, he just does not get enough support , in terms of receiving the necessary information,to make the right decisions when it comes to utilizing his available resources (personnel) for maximum effectiveness and productivity.

In that regard he is not alone.many of the so called “best ” coaches in the league are also making decisions (when allocating ice time, especially on special teams) that are contrary to their teams best interest.

regards,

Steve O.

regards,

Steve O.

4. jedimyrmidon says:

I don’t have a problem with fighting per se. What I’m not liking is the way fighting is used in today’s NHL game.

If fights break out between two players who decide to drop the gloves in the heat of the moment or a teammate honourably defending another teammate, that seems fine.

Yeah, I used the word ‘honourably’.

What I don’t like is when a team has a marginal player whose role is to stir up trouble (by being an injury threat out there to all real hockey player) and fight (like the bully who has free reign to do whatever he wants because fighting is ultimately how ‘justice’ is decided). These players can cause all sorts of trouble and cause things to escalate and become violent. Guys like Scott, McCormick, McLaren and Orr.

This is where ‘honour’ comes in. If Orr/Scott decide to run a goaltender, or maybe take a run at a good player with questionable intentions, they, as the enforcer, are the ones causing trouble, which of course provokes a melee. They then start fighting against non-fighters if no enforcer is on the ice, which is what they’re there to do and can do well. The NHL doesn’t need any of that sort of mockery of the sport.

In the end, I guess my point is that agitator-goons have no place in the NHL.

• arcosenate says:

What I don’t like is that we finally had a guy that could take care of business and a crappy thing happens and we’re right back in the same mess. Parros did exactly what he was signed to do and he did it well. He was actually protecting our Norris Trophy winner at the time.

Totally sucks all the way around.

I hope he comes back ASAP, he was the tonic we needed in this division.

5. Danno says:

BTW – New thread…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. Phil C says:

The more I watch the Parros Orr fight, I think it was a deliberate take-down move, similar to a judo move. Orr’s backside hits the ice while still holding on, then he starting pulling hard and rotating to pull Parros down. Calling it an accident is a bit of a joke, Orr knew exactly what he was doing.

• Haberoooo13 says:

I dislike the Leafs and bums like Orr, and am against fighting. I do agree that he wanted to pull Parros down, but the faceplant was not in Orr’s intentions IMO.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• jedimyrmidon says:

Okay, I see this statement far too often.

Yes: Orr did not intend to specifically make Parros faceplant, get concussed and potentially break his jaw.

HOWEVER: that does NOT mean that Orr did not try that move intentionally without considering the consequences or perhaps not caring

Sort of like Chara. He didn’t mean to break Pac’s neck. Doesn’t mean that he didn’t intend to ram him into the stanchion without thinking of what could happen OR being willing to gamble on what might happen.

• Danno says:

BINGO!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• krob1000 says:

That I can agree with …HOWEVER…as TIMO pointed out….I see nothing wrong with TAKEDOWNS in a FIGHT. HE didn’t bite him or pull his hair…he took him down….which someone tried to do in almost every fight at some point…or at least in the majority. Maybe they look at eliminating the intentional takedown? That is where guys probably get hurt as often….on the fall or in the wrestling on the way down. The best fights are the toe to toe ones anyway but as of now pulling the other guy down is common pace and not regarded as dirty as far as I know. Most fights no big shots land and guys try get the takedown.

• Timo says:

Well, I asked this question yesterday… is this against the code? It’s fight. I understand it’s a no-no to pull hair or bite or eye gouge. But pulling someone down in a fight sounds legit to me.

• Phil C says:

He could have killed Parros with that move. Then he would be facing manslaughter charges. As for the code, it’s too complicated for me. I always thought it should be like a boxing match in that you stop when the other player is down. It definitely should not include MMA moves.

• jedimyrmidon says:

There’s a difference between losing your footing and going down (like most fighters do), and using a pulling move as one is falling to potentially cause the other guy to smash into the ice.

• arcosenate says:

It doesn’t matter, either way the poor guy had just righted the old toughness scale on the Habs and for all we know Jesus or Santa Claus might have pushed his head into the ice.

We just found ourselves back in the same boat as last year, poor Prust.

• Danno says:

It wasn’t a fluke. During the Leafs vs Flyers game Schenn did exactly the same flip to the ice that Orr pulled on Parros when he was in a fight with a Flyer.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• krob1000 says:

oooh…Orr is spelled backwards in Parros’ name and they both knocked each other out in fights and concussed one another..and if you add AP to the end of Orrs name and push the names together it becomes a palindrome……still trying to figure out how the number 9 is invovled though…leave it with me.

• zephyr says:

did he plan on getting his ass kicked too?

7. krob1000 says:

I troed to ask last night about this…I got 4 tickets last night to CLB game in end behind net in 300 level grey and I know they are not good tickets…will I be able to see other end or will scoreboard be in way? Got sweet deal I think….155 dollars for 4 tickets…so I figured I would go , take both boys and my Dad after how much fun my littel guy and me had at the opener…debt schmebt.

8. arcosenate says:

I for one refuse to accept facts or reason when it comes to this edition of the Habs.

What do the other teams have besides size, good goaltending and talent?

What I ask you, does this matter?

For we have tradition, and the past.

Noone shall stand in our way…

Imagine if Pacioretty had a center like Marleau, for example.

10. krob1000 says:

So …Grabovski….

11. Bogie Man says:

Max Pac and B Prust are apparently returning to practice today and should be in the line up for tomoorrow’s game according to some tweets I have read this morning.

12. John Q Public says:

Perhaps as has been stated before somewhere, the Club de Hockey Canadien de Montréal is a religion.

The number 9 seems to represent God in the universe.
    The number 9 was worn by Maurice Richard.
    Most think that he was a God.
    The number 27 is worn by Alex Galchenyuk.
    2 + 7 = 9
    Is he the Messiah ?
    Should he get more icetime now ?

13. shiram says:

Can’t help but feel that the addition of Brière will eventually lead to the trade of one of the Habs other center.
    Brière is even on the Bell Center marquee, with Gio, PK and Price, he also got to carry the torch first amongst Habs player and fills the “bon ti gars québecois” quota.

We have depth at the the forwards, we also some depth on D, but it’s all 3rd pairing guys, or 7th D.
    Also I think I’d prefer if Brière played center, apart from not being great on the draw, which is a staple of the Habs anyways, he does better as a C.

I recognize that this has been a sort of leitmotiv for the past few seasons, but we’ll soon approach the breaking point, of sorts, where Chucky will have to transition to center…

Edit : First!!! on the new page