Pacioretty named to Team USA for Sochi Olympics

The Canadiens, coming off a 5-4 overtime loss to the Hurricanes on New Year’s Eve in Carolina, enjoyed an off day Wednesday in Dallas as they get ready to face the Stars Thursday night (8:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty got some good news on New Year’s Day, learning that he will be part of Team USA for the Sochi Olympics. Canadiens teammate Alex Galchenyuk failed to make Team USA.

“It’s obviously such an honour, especially when you see some of the guys who didn’t make the team,” said Pacioretty, who has 17 goals and four assists in 32 games this season and is minus-1. “It could have gone either way.

“I’ve played pretty well of late, but my game is even better than I’ve shown so far this year,” he added. “Now that the stress or pressure to prove anything to Team USA  is off my back I have to do more to help my team here. I have to take things one day at a time and build up some momentum and get used to winning.”

Team USA will have 13 returning members from the squad that won silver at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The Team USA roster was announced at the conclusion of Wednesday’s Winter Classic game, in which the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 in a shootout.

Among the players who didn’t make Team USA’s 25-man roster are forwards Bobby Ryan, Brandon Dubinsky, Kyle Okposo and Jason Pominville, and defencemen Dustin Byfuglien, Keith Yandle, Erik Johnson and Jack Johnson.

Thursday’s game marks the end of a six-game road trip for the Canadiens, who will play their first game of 2014 at the Bell Centre Saturday night against the Ottawa Senators.

Former Canadien Erik Cole has 10 goals and 10 assists in 39 games with the Stars this season and is minus-5. Cole was on a roll in December, scoring eight goals in 15 games.

“I think Erik has played well for a good period of time,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team’s website. “These last few weeks he has really played well for us and has skated well. He’s a big man that’s hard to control and when he’s skating, he’s a powerful body out there for us.”

(Photo by Scott Iskowitz/Getty Images)

Pacioretty on U.S. Olympic team, by Pat Hickey

Mix of veterans, youth highlight U.S. Olympic team, NHL.com

Habs vs. Stars preview, NHL.com

Cole on a roll, stars.nhl.com

Leafs win Winter Classic on Bozak’s shootout goal, NHL.com

Lack of discipline to blame for Habs’ loss, by Pat Hickey

1. Mattyleg says:

Congrats JJ!
    You have bragging rights now!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Eddie says:

Really admired Yzerman as a player. Can’t stand the guy as a GM.

3. Mavid says:

what a comeback by the Fins..

why can they not put the comment box at the top..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

4. krob1000 says:

The HAbs d have two pretty good offensive dmen but after that they have a grand total of 1 goal out of Gorges, Bouillon, Diaz, Murray and Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi….that is scary. In 164 man games they have one goal….that is John Scott territory as a group! The even scarier thing is they get pp time…that is just flat out unacceptable and a huge part of why the Habs are having trouble scoring. It is pretty easy to shut down a team that is basically 3 vs 5 in the offensive zone…even if you leave the point open 5 of the 7 will just fire the puck into the corner.

5. frontenac1 says:

Sweet Jesus! -27C! Wind chill -32C! Watch out amigos. Flesh freezes in 10 minutes. Saludos!!

6. sirs81 says:

It would not be a bad thing for PK to be left behind when team Canada goes to Russia… I have a feeling he will be on fire afterwords…

• krob1000 says:

I like the way he responded to his contract dispute. I think he is best when he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. I also think he will have a much longer leash once hte games become more meaningful and will be given more freedom to generate some offense.

• habstrinifan says:

Longer leash? Based on what?

• krob1000 says:

Based on what happens when the team is down…MT knows he can generate more offense. The teams core is young and he is trying to instill selfless play and team first/d first mentality. IT is currently painful watching Subban, Glachenyuk, Patches, Gally, Eller,etc play this style but it is the style that you need to play when it matters. However, I am thinking that once the games become more important than more calculated risks will be acceptable and even expected. You can tell MT and the players know what they need to do generate offense but they are trying to teach a lot of players good habits. This may temporarily come at the expense of goals and the risks should be better decisions..or at least that is theory…and what I am clinging to as a hope.

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry.. I dont understand nor agree with your conclusions. Mt has been with this SAME team basically for 2 years man and as of the 2nd half of last season they have looked the same with the exception of brief periods.

You mirror the people who at the beginning of the pre-season insisted that MT will be giving P.K PK time this season.

I am not debating the merits of P.K on the PK or whether he should have PK time. I just find all your conclusions to fly in the face of reality just as those people expectations did.

• Storman says:

A talent like PK should have zero leash, that is one of many problems I have with the coaching styles and systems of MT,, he is suffocating our one true superstar we have had in years.we should be riding on PK’s back, and the rest of team will follow, he should be taking over this team from a skill and leadership perspective,, Gorges should pipe down with the here we go boys crap, block shots shut up and let PK take this team by the kahuna’s,,or change teams. This coach has to go..

• habstrinifan says:

I am not challenging Krob on the merits of what mt is doing .. although my view son that are probably well known.

I just find some of his ‘expectations’ to be so contrary to what has transpired in the last two years.

7. punkster says:

Wow…the Finns tie it.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

8. Mattyleg says:

Finns!
    Go JJ!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. krob1000 says:

I find it amazing that Douglas Murray only has 9 pims in 21 games and 5 of those were in a major against Scott where he took one for teh team.. Given how physical he is, his lack of foot speed and the amount of time the HAbs spend in their own end that is pretty impressive . I know his plus minus sucks but I like the physical dimension he brings if used minimally.

He has many flaws and many posters love to point them out repeatedly, but I also think his intangibles are exactly what our team needs. FOr all the constant comments ripping him here, he has played for some good teams, was in huge demand last trade deadline and our team wins more than we lose when he is in lineup.

I would play him over Frankie B in a heartbeat.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That exactly is the problem. Both shouldn´t be on our team. Bouillon is awful, Murray utter crap. People are willing to overlook every weakness of Murray because he has size and hits (some of his hits are also bs because be gets way out of position) but Diaz and Gionta get criticized daily even though they contribute much, much more.

Still, the worst joke is that we´re really discussing Murray vs. Bouillon while Pateryn should be our 6th dman. Pateryn in the lineup would also mean Emelin could move to the left. The whole team would instantly benefit from that.

As for Murray: The Pens gave away TWO second rounders for him and had no interest in resigning him. Why? Because they realized he was awful and admitted they made a big mistake in acquiring him. We got him for free but are still too stupid to admit we made a mistake.

• krob1000 says:

I think I would have Beaulieu be the 7th dman to generate a litle more flow and offense. I know PAteryn has some pts this year but he is not a guy who can create on his own..he will get pucks to the net at least though. I would prefer to see Beaulieu up…I am thinking his off ice issues really ticked the organization off because I really liked what I saw of him while he was with the club.

• Eddie says:

Krob, imagine how bad Beaulieu must be playing in the defensive zone
            because his size, speed, offensive skills, are all NHL ready.

• CJ says:

Beaulieu is not a 7th defencemen. Beaulieu, when ready, will be a top 3 defencemen. He will not replace Murray, he will one day be replacing Markov, or at the least Boullion on the second wave of the PP. The one critique – and many teams do this, not only Montreal, is that when it comes time to promote from within, bring up a player to find the need. For example, Holland can not be brought up and placed on the fourth line. It just won’t work. Holland needs to be on the second line. If you need a forth line, then look at Nattinen, Tarnasky, Dumont or Qaulier. If the defencemen you wish to replace is Murray, then Pateryn is the guy. A dark horse would be Morgan Ellis. That said, if there is a call up the kids need to play. Best move of the year was sending Tinordi and Beaulieu down as opposed to watching from the press box.

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed Burly. Love the Crankshaft. Enjoy this Tribute!

• CJ says:

Great post. I agree. Murray flat out knocks guys on their asses. This is an element that we do not have and sorely need. Play Murrary and manage his minutes. I would rather Murray play 10-12 minutes and Subban play 28-30.

• Eddie says:

His “plus” is zero. Zero goals is the total we have scored with him on the ice. That’s not easy to do for this long. It’s remarkably bad.

10. shiram says:

Marinaro says Bergevin has been trying to trade Gionta for months.

Really anxious for a trade, so many rumours, so little happening.

11. Eddie says:

The Bruins had 3 centres who were more experienced and more dependable defensively than Tyler Seguin. Seguin began to stir the pot. The Bruins decided to trade him.

Tonight, if Seguin plays ( think he’s been injured ) we will see how a terrific young winger has been transformed into one of the most dynamic young players in the game.

This is precisely what I expect will happen to Galchenyuks game once he is given a spot at center.

It’s the difference between a 40-50 point player and a 75-85 point player who can be expected to get either a goal or an assist almost every night.

But we wait…..because he’s not yet “ready”…… Because the Habs are too ” competitive” to take the chance……

• krob1000 says:

Seguin is more flashy and dynamic than Galchenyuk. Seguin has a first coouple of steps that is among the elite in the game. Galchenyuk is more complete offensive player but thrives by slwoing the play down and using his incredible vision. I think Glachneyuk is most comparable to someone like Backstrom. He may be a slightly better goal scorer than BAckstrom but likely won’t get as many assists as Backstrom gets a 10 pt boost by feeding Ovie all year. Wither way it is a heck of a plyer to be comparable to. I know Backstrom often is found in Ovie’s shadow but BAckstrom is almost always a top 10 guy in assists. He is good for a pt per game and is often thought to be uninterested at times…this is not Glachneyuk. I thinka resonalbe expectation for Galchneyuk is around 90pts….low seasons will be around a pt per game or slightly less (when in prime) and ceiling is likely around 100 pts. He is the real deal but finding him someone to play with will be key to his success…he needs a legit finisher who can also grind it out and go to the net to be most successful IMO. That is what I am expecting of him anyway.

• Eddie says:

You don’t think he could play with Pacioretty as a legit finisher, assuming our version of the Sedins twins could be split up some day?

• krob1000 says:

I do….but they would still need someone on puck retrieva/net duty. I was envsioing a Tkachuk, Betrtuzzi, Leclair type guy who could bang bodies, wreak havoc in front and had hands and some skill as well. Patches has that skill set and somewhere down inside I keep convincing myself he is playing shy this season to stay helathy for the Olympics…..and then will get a little dirtier after. In fact Iwhen I watch a lot of players I get that feeling…seems to be a lot of cautious hockey being played around the NHL these days.
          I would love to see Eller with Patches and Galchenyuk. I think that could isntantly become the best line the HAbs have had in recent memory.Not sure who would play their off wing but those three could be magical if you lookat what each brings.

12. Psycho29 says:

Holy Crap…..Was -29C, -40 with the wind chill here in St.Lazare this morning!!

13. Habitoban says:

Taylor Pyatt on waivers. A big body with lots of experience. Unfortunately a large version of Moen rather than a sniper.

14. J.J. of Turku says:

Cze leading 2-1…

Bazinga!

15. --Habs-- says:

Any trade rumors?

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• Habs24 says:

Trade rumours, well he is always out there looking, but it seems things are fairly tight lipped…if he makes a deal, it will cost us to get bigger, but I think he has to do something, and quickly…this is reminding of last year when we started losing after 40 games or so, and we all know what happened in the playoffs….

MT doesn’t seem to know how to react during the game, and is getting outcoached most nights…

Drive for 25!

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…has the Price vs Fucal-eh ! debate erupted in HIO yet ? …or, still ‘percolating’ beneath the bed sheets ?

…I’ve been ‘away’ …so not up to speed on Habs Fans’ current catharsis

Who the heck cancelled global warming. ???

18. Habs 5
    Stars 2

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

So I’m assuming that Canada will now play Russia in the semi-finals. Is that how the seeding works?

No, believe it or not USA, Russia, Sweden are all on one side of the brackets.

If Canada gets past Switzerland (which is always tough for some reason) then we play winner of Czech/Finland game.

• 24 Cups says:

Wow, that’s a huge break.

Yup, but the kids can’t look ahead, today will still be a tough game based on how Team Canada has played thus far. There are signs of the team getting it all together, if they do, they have a great chance to get to final and battle Sweden.

• 24 Cups says:

We certainly can’t count our chickens before they hatch but if Canada can’t beat the Swiss then we as fans shouldn’t even bother watching this tournament. The Canadian team is all NHL draft picks plus the best player available in the 2014 and 15 drafts. Surely they can overcome the trap, which is what the Swiss national program is built around.

• Lafleurguy says:

They’ll also have to explain passing over Darnell Nurse and Max Domi.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi cups

@TSNBobMcKenzie: RUS beats USA 5-3 to advance to SF vs. winner of SWE-SVK.

20. habstrinifan says:

Anyone catching the Finn game?

21. Mavid says:

Sens fans crack me up..they are all crying that Ryan was left off the American roster because of Burke’s hate for the Sens team…seems to me that the real rivalry between the Leafs/Habs would have resulted in Max not being selected..such friggen cry babies..I am also pretty sure that the selection is not left up to one man

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

22. Maritime Ronn says:

Is anyone getting concerned about Subban’s place on Team Canada?

After reading the terrific ESPN linked article on how Team USA/Coaching chose their Olympic team and what was important, some ugly dots are starting to connect.

After reading all the quotes and deciphering the innuendo, at best PK looks like he will be # 4 on the Right Side (7th-8th Dman) and at worst, could actually be left off the team.

In the whole process, there has been zero love spoken or shown to the Habs reigning Norris holder by either Team Canada management ( Yzerman-Holland-Lowe(?)-Armstrong) or its Coaching Staff ( Babcock-Hitchcock-Julien)

What is continuously heard for the choice of Dmen is ” need to be responsible for 200 feet-need to be trust worthy-not prone to devastating mental errors”

So how could Subban be the 7th-8th Dman, or even left off the team?

Subban’s competition on the Right Side:

– Drew Doughty: Olympic Gold Medal/Stanley Cup and LA Kings Top Dman and PP QB and Top 3 PK.
    – Shea Weber: Olympic Gold Medal and Preds PP QB and Top Unit PK.
    – Pietrangelo: Blues are one of the best teams in the NHL and he is their Top Dman playing 1st Unit PP and PK. Coached by Team Canada Head Coach Babcock right hand man Ken Hitchcock who will lobby hard for his own guy.
    – Seabrook: Olympic Gold and Duncan Keith partner that brings familiarity and trust, plays Top 3 PP and Top 4 PK.

– Subban: Very good 5X5 (not better than any of the above in 5X5), PP QB, yet is the #5 man on the Habs for Penalty Kill minutes, and only recently was he playing in the final minutes of a close game.

*** Can the Team Canada Management/Coaching staff look beyond the choices of Coach Therrien when it comes to ‘trust’?
    That becomes the big question!

The Team Canada coaching staff has also stated they want the puck moved quickly up to the highly skilled and fast forwards. They don’t want a Dman rushing the puck and being caught out of position….

The Power Play? Will the coaching staff and highly skilled players like Crosby-Stamkos-Tavares-Toews-Getzlaf…want a power play centered around Subban teeing it up and firing away as do the Habs?
    Does Subban have an advantage over Weber-Doughty-Pietrangelo in that area?

• habstrinifan says:

What will be will be! Not a big deal anymore.

What if Subban is indeed uber talented and the concerns team Canada “apparantly” have are warranted?

I thought Yandle would be a lock on Team USA, but they have their reasons and he didn’t make it.

I love PK, but sometimes I think people have him as the second coming of Bobby Orr here.

• 24 Cups says:

I just read the article on the American selection process so I could easily see a train of thought that leaves Subban off the team. His sloppy play the past month hasn’t helped his cause.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Babcock has not seen him play live for 2 years
          Hitchcock will be lobbying hard for his own guy Pietrangelo
          Julien? Do you believe he wants PK on the team?
          Yzerman saw him in Tampa last week and it wasn’t one of PK’s better games.
          Hitchcock has seen PK twice this year in those losses to the Blues

• habstrinifan says:

I think he should be on.. there is no schism of ability/dedication. whatever between him and the other candidates.

As I said it doesn’t matter anymore and I have it from someone who knows the Dad, Subban is resigned to whatever. He will deal with it all…

• Lafleurguy says:

Brooks Orpik in, Keith Yandle out.

• --Habs-- says:

Not a big deal if he’s left off. We’ll need him down the stretch rested for the real prize. Just kidding! Look there are a lot of very good D out there to compete with with tons of experience. Does it really matter!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• DipsyDoodler says:

We don’t see the Western Conference players much, but the couple of times I’ve seen Weber this season he’s been prone to the odd defensive blunder. He’s actually a -13 this year. I think PK is clearly better than Seabrook.

PK is the top scorer of those mentioned (on a scoring-challenged team).

• Maritime Ronn says:

Pekka Rine has been hurt since Game 9, and they are using 2nd and 3rd stringers.
        Imagine what the Habs + – would look like if Carey was out after Game 9 and the duties were evenly split between Budaj and a Hamilton guy?
        With the exception of only a few players, all the Preds are in negative + -.

• habs-fan-84 says:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see PK left off team Canada.

There’s games where he absolutely dominates the ice. Then there’s games where he makes brain dead plays (usually because he’s trying to do too much).

If I’m picking team Canada he’s on the team, but like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not make the team. They’re going to pick a team where everyone has a defined role (which probably hurts PKs chances).

In my opinion though, the Olympic size ice suits PK, as he’s one of the best skaters in the game and also has experience on “big ice” from his time in Belleville. On top of that, the notion that he’s a defensive “liability” is a lie at worst and an exaggeration at best.

All that said, in my opinion he has not looked great this year. Frankly, he’s gone through stretches where he’s looked terrible. Other times he’s looked other-worldly.

It had been mentioned earlier in the summer that Babcock and Yzerman want to limit risky plays. With Hitchcock and Julien as Assistant Coaches I have a tough time believing PK will make the team (even though I believe he should).

23. mount royal says:

McCarron got 4 points last night.

• CJ says:

Kid has sick hands for a big man. Unforunately (or perhaps forunately as the case might be) for him, he plays on a deep team London Knights team. There is a real chance that he could double his point production next year. To McCarron’s credit he remains positive and has found a way to contribute. I have watched him play three times, once live here in Ottawa and he certainly has a ton of upside potential. I am not sure what the future might hold, but there are flashes of greatness.

24. Cal says:

Absolutely poor reffing in US-Russia junior game. Have to expect it, seeing as the caliber of reffing, especially in international tourneys, has been in the toilet for decades.
    That delay of game call when the puck went clearly off the glass was bogus, but I expected it. Reffing needs to be looked at by all hockey federations.

Yikes some good action between the two benches. Starts with the Russian gloating to the U.S. bench after scoring empty netter, then an American player gets the stick in the punks face on the fly by. And then the taunting from the Russian Trainer was quite vivid.

Huge powerplay for States here.

Americans not playing well today, just don’t look sharp, sloppy passing and too much trying to skate the puck instead of passing it. Was hoping to see U.S. win this morning, but Russia starting to take over.

Wow, US player shot puck from own end while killing penalty over the top of the other end of rink for delay of game, another 5 on 3 for Russia.

29. petefleet says:

Projected over the rest of the season, Max will finish with 38 goals and 48 points. That will not be enough to outscore PK over the same span as he is projected to end with 58 points. If Max can somehow become a little more consistant, he may be able to best PK but it’s doubtful.
    I like the way MT has put him on the half wall on the PP giving the unit another look that has the opposition wondering where the big shot will come from instead of just covering SubyDoo. That should also raise his year ned totals but PK’s too.

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Habfan17 says:

With his speed, size and skill, he should be a point a game player.
      I’d like to see him get a few more assists.

Two things come to mind, either DD, the best centre Patches has ever played with isn’t capable of getting more out of Patches, or Patches is not capable of more.

If Patches is a 50 point player, then he should be on the second line. The first line needs at least one point per game player!

Habfan17

• Cal says:

Patches should not be on the half wall during the PP. His passing is lousy, and I am being generous. He should be in front of the net, ready to shoot. He is not a playmaker.

30. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Good for Max, yet expectations should not be high.
    The only way he gets into the Top 6 or any PP time is if Parise or JVR go absolutely cold or get injured.

He could play himself into the Top 6 with either a dominating performance or if there is a slight chance of a Top 6 chemistry issue.
    Slim chance of both those scenarios to happen.

Max will be either 3rd or 4th line depending on how the coaching decides to play Dustin Brown

• Habfan10912 says:

Really? I think Patches will get a lot of PK time. He’s a goal scorer and I think the team will utilize him as such. I also think he’ll enjoy the large ice.

Sorry bud. My expectations are high. CHeers.

I’m with Jim on this one, once Max starts displaying his skating ability on that big ice he will become an important part of that team. He is an underrated sniper and it will be a great showcase tournament for him.

• Maritime Ronn says:

mornin Jim-Burli

I hope you guys are right, yet have you seen Parise and JVR play a lot?
      These guys can score as good as Max, and can also set up their mates.
      Minny and Toronto would not trade these guys straight up for Max.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, I see him on the 3rd line and on the PK

Habfan17

31. jols101 says:

USA vs Russia starting now.

Predictions?

I don’t think the US have it in them this year. I pick the Russians. I could be wrong.

32. Habilis says:

Must read on the U.S. selection process:

The writer was with the brass every step of the way as they selected the team. Fascinating to see what the different GM’s and coaches think of certain players, especially the guys who didn’t make it like Ryan and Yandle. Burke’s comments alone are worth reading the article.

Also very cool is the fact that you can pretty much pinpoint the exact moment when Patches goes from being a borderline guy to being a lock.

Galchenyuk was in the discussion too, but he didn’t get much love after he cooled off following his hot start. Still great to see him in the mix already.

33. jimmy shaker says:

Was gone for new years, forgot to PVR the game…..thankfully I did, as i was amazed after checking the score of 3-0 heading to the third to end up losing in overtime an hour later. What’s the chatter on the game today between the buds and the wings? Good game? How bout that trade? Looks like the leafs are looking more and more lets say “dangerous” with gleason and bozak coming back, just waiting on Bolland now I believe. Hopefully MB can do something to turn these guys around as well.

Shaker out!

34. ClutchNGrab says:

Happy New Year to all!

35. JohninTruro says:

Ben, after our discussion yesterday on McCarron doesn’t he go and get 4 points (although my prediction of him getting a point last night was wrong I was soooo close). Hopefully this will work on his confidence and lead to more output. Have to see what kind of quality these points were from the highlights.

I wonder if Pacioretty will request they let DD play on the US squad.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Height requirement at the border…

• Mattyleg says:

As per your question about the best summer month to go to Ireland, the answer is ‘none’.

There is no discernable summer in Ireland, unless you count the 2-3 weeks in May during university exams, when everyone is out cavorting while you are stuck in the library trying to figure out Old English and Deconstructionism.

Lived there for 8 years.
      Went back in July of ’09 with my g/f, she ignored my advice to pack sweaters and pants; she wore the same sweater and pants for three weeks while it poured on us, and the wind blew the cold into our bones.

It was just like I remembered it. In 8 years I wore shorts exactly 3 times.

That’s why the pubs are so damn comfortable.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. Bripro says:

An almost-belated Happy New Year to all.
    I’d add to it, but after watching the game on PVR at 2am,
    then preparing food all day for 24 people, then cleaning up,
    and my wife adding things to do to the list, I’m pooped.

zzzzzzzzzz…..

38. Arnou Ruelle says:

I want Torts and his Canucks team to beat the lightning tonight. That will make the Habs safe in the standings.

39. boonie says:

Mixing a few major recent themes. Any reason why the NHL doesn’t build international-sized rinks for its outdoor games?

Could make the event even more of an event. No lost seats. Lots of room for the rink on football or baseball stadiums. Showcase the speed of the game for the relatively uninitiated fans who tune in for these matches.

40. SlovakHab says:

Is David Desharnais a lock for team Canada?

41. habstrinifan says:

I read Pat Hickey “Lack of discipline to blame for Habs’ loss”.

Are Therrien and Gorges related? I think Gorges have usurped Gionta’s position and he now cries in Therrien’s arms. Only with Gorges and MT, it’s kinda shared misery.

42. Stevie.Ray says:

McCarron had a goal and three assists tonight in an 8-6 win over Sarnia.

That gives him 17 points in 35 games this year. Looks like he has been finding a bit more of a groove lately. I have been pretty negative about him since he was drafted, but I really do hope he can develop. Will be interesting to watch him play in the Memorial Cup this year too.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Time will tell if McCarron has the stuff to make it into the NHL. I’m not fully convinced that he can deliver what the Habs need. If he does pass his stint with the OHL, then he should get a nod from Bergevin and management to come to Hamilton.

Keep in mind though, he was not selected to play for team USA at this current World Juniors in Sweden.

• SlovakHab says:

If he’s a point per game player in the next season in OHL and makes team USA at WJC next year, I will be less worried than I am now.

• Habfan17 says:

I have heard it said many times that power forwards take a bit more time to develop. I hope this is the case with McCarron.

We should be patient, he came into a completely different environment in London and needs to get comfortable. I see his moving down to the 4th line as a way to take some initial pressure off and help him, not as a negative.
        Habfan17

43. Sportfan says:

Still surprised that Ryan didn’t make the team. Congrats to Patches!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Dunboyne Mike – wife’s been researching plane tickets today. I think she is more serious about the trip than I am. What’s the best summer month to be there?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I said it before, Timo. We’d love to see your wife here, but it might be fun if you came along as well!

Talk weather and flights tomorrow — 2.30 am here: too many episodes of Downton Abbey from the boxset with Mrs Dunboyne.

(Don’t book anything yet! No fewer than 3 airlines opening up direct year-round Toronto-Dublin routes in the spring. There may be intro deals).

Good night and happy new year.

45. Say Ash says:

McDonaugh is another Hab that made the team, ahem.

46. habstrinifan says:

Someone posted earlier that the HABS will have a great January and be fighting for first overall. I ignored that post before but I see where it came from. I believe he is right.

By January the Spengler Cup, the Olympics, the World Championship, the Nordic Challenge, the Putin-Non-Russin-Winner-Will- be-jailed series. All of these myriad hockey tournaments will be over.

And our players, each and EVERYONE of them will play as follows:

They wont be hiding a game ” better than[they've] shown so far this year,”;

They will have only one team ” to prove anything to”;

They will have other hockey goals “off [their] back ” and “will do more to help [this] team here.” ;

They will ” take things one day at a time” whatever the frack that means but I am sure it will be a good thing;

They will ” build up some momentum” and get “used to winning.”
    This last one is gonna be a little trickier… I mean which comes first “winning” or “momentum”.

And to add to all that MB and MT would be further along on their ‘culture change’ project’

I have spruced up the bandwagon. Easy now dont you all try to hop back on at the same time. Come on… let’s be nice… Let Timo on FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!

• habcertain says:

I love all this ” we need to change the culture” talk, the Habs are the symbol for everything that is great in hockey, and because of years of suspect hockey decisions, the culture is bad, please. How about changing stupid edicts, that are media driven, like we need a French coach regardless of credentials. I’m all for getting francophones at all positions, and believe the Habs should support and lead that development but how about putting the most qualified personnel at all levels and start to win. Success will create opportunities, culture is driven from the top but they are the ones droning on about changing culture, point the finger at yourself, that is where it belongs.

47. twilighthours says:

At first I was all like, “whose dog did Bob Ryan kick to get left off team USA?” but then I was all like, “this is a great article!”

Do yourself a favour and read it.

• twilighthours says:

And to summarize why B Ryan was left off: USA team brass thought he was too slow, only brought scoring, and wasn’t intense enough. Is the one thing he’s good at good enough for him to make an impact?

48. ABHabsfan says:

Really glad for Patches to make the team and I hope he does great and gains a well deserved silver medal.
    However, being as objective as we can possibly be, would anyone really take Patches over Bobby Ryan?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• The Jackal says:

Haha not sure man, but it probably wasn’t Patch over Ryan, it was probably some other guy over Ryan.. like Stepan!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

49. Mark C says:

McCarron with a goal and assist after two periods.

Congrats to Max. Thought Timo said he had no chance at making the team.

Bobby Ryan is indeed a head scratcher. But I will wait to mock US roster selection until I see what Stevie Y and his brain trust come up with.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yandle is the one that surprises me the most. Someone was quoted as “we didn’t pick the vest players, we picked the vest team.”
      I guess balance was a consideration and the Ryan’s and Yandle’s were left off.

Wait until team Canada’s club is announced. There will be some talent cut. U really hope PK is an Olympian. Imagine him on the big ice?

• Timo says:

I saw him in one international tournament and he was lights out. If Canada doesn’t select him I don’t think I can cheer for that team. I really don’t think I could.

• JohninTruro says:

So Yandle doesn’t wear vests and this is why he didn’t make it? That seems a little silly to me…do you have a link stating this?!

51. habstrinifan says:

I’ve played pretty well of late, but my game is even better than I’ve shown so far this year,” he added. “Now that the stress or pressure to prove anything to Team USA is off my back I have to do more to help my team here. I have to take things one day at a time and build up some momentum and get used to winning.”

Interesting. Understandable maybe … but nevertheless interesting.

I wonder how his remarks compare to those of any other selected player.

• Timo says:

My dislike for Pacioretty grows on a daily basis.

• The Jackal says:

If it weren’t for his 17 goals, where would the Habs be?

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• habstrinifan says:

Timo, I think you miss the point.

Let me draw a picture based on my experience eh.

I’m in bed(ere marriage) and I’m giving her the best of my culture special(wink wink). And she’s going thru the motions. And I dont even notice it eh. I mean if I was a good coach(ooops sorry lover) I would notice, wouldn’t I? I mean I would do something different. Maybe the left-right swirl like George Costanza. Or maybe knockwurst sandwiches to bed (man I’m good–knockwurst ). I mean I would stiffen things up with a stiff pre-tryst workout ( i said I was good). But I would notice eh.

• The Jackal says:

Interesting indeed. I’m sure other players, like PK, have perhaps been trying hard not to think about it but it must have affected their game. Maybe trying to do too much, etc.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Took my kiddo to see Midget AAA Mac’s cup finals (both girls and boys). Girls game went almost 3 full OT periods. Was a great game to watch as these girls worked their butts off to win. Then it hit me – about 1/2 of the Habs team would be eligible to play at that tournament on the girls side. I mean, it wouldn’t be too fair cause they’d get killed but still… would be a good learning experience for them.

53. commandant says:

Bobby Ryan, Kyle Okposo, Keith Yandle and Ben Bishop should all be on that team over some of the guys they took.

Jimmy Howard has 6 wins in 23 starts this year and a .907 Save Percentage for crying out loud.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

54. commandant says:

A look at the Canadian Juniors heading into the Quarter Finals

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

55. The Jackal says:

If Burly is still around, why is Vancouver on the no list for other team stuff one can wear?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

56. The Teacher says:

I completely agree steeltown

57. Habfan17 says:

Instead of a day off, maybe Therrien should have had the players working on their “touch” and had them crochet cozies for their hockey sticks!

Habfan17

58. Steeltown Hab says:

Burke’s harsh comments re: Bobby Ryan are such a joke. USA isn’t good enough to leave him and Yandle off the squad I really can’t fathom how Cam Fowler AND Faulk make it over Yandle who’s a lot more seasoned and in his prime. One of them I get, two I don’t.

Someone tell me how Wheeler is better than Bobby Ryan. I can’t confidently say Pacioretty, or JVR are even better than Ryan.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

59. The Teacher says:

Very surprised bobby Ryan was not included

60. Danno says:

What the hell happened to Emelin? He looks lost lately.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. Habfan17 says:

I hope that in February we are reading about a big trade that I have tried to post as a suggestion here at least 20 times now and the system will not allow me to post it.

Habfan17

62. Habcouver says:

Now that MaxPac is part of Team USA, I want to see how he plays with quality line mates. We as fans criticize and complain about his inconsistency. I hope he is a strong contributor to USA’s silver medal and his performance carries through to the Hab’s playoff run.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Habfan17 says:

A short tournament like this is not the same. It will be interesting, but probably not a true representation of having quality line mates. The playoffs would be a better barometer. Don’t forget Patches has said a few times now that DD is the best center he has ever had!

Habfan17

• Habcouver says:

Yeah, nothing is more indicative than the pressure from the playoffs but a successful Olympic experience would definitely be nice on the resume.
        He may have given DD that huge compliment but he hasn’t played with Chucky in 2-3 years from now.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Habfan17 says:

It should help Patches. I just meant that over 82 games, the benefit might not be as noticeable as it would be in the playoffs when they all ” should” pick it up and play hard every game.

Habfan17

• Eddie says:

How many more goals do you expect him to score?

Pacioretty is now 6 th place in the league scoring .53 goals per game.

63. Carey Carey Carey

Jan will be way better than December (winning record played very poorly), so wowo I’m thinking by Feb 8th the night they play back in Carolina the Habs will be playing for 1st overall, who’s with me?

Carey Carey Carey

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Habfan10912 says:

I still think the teams best hockey has yet to occur. I think at some point MT will transition the team to more responsibility to the Galchenyuks and Ellers of the world. I also expect Emelin’s game to improve.
      Happy New Year bud.
      Bride feeling better?

• I don’t like MT.

I didn’t like him the first time, didn’t like him in Pittsburgh and I still don’t like him. If all these fans here don’t like him, why would the players be any different? YOu know why he played baseball the other day? Because he couldn’t bag skate them because they already hate him, he’s trying to get them back, but you can’t change personality. He can stay all year long, the team will play some good and bad games but that’s not how it works. Good coaches who get the best out of their team every single game are hard to come by. Therrien is a coach, and nothing more.

Even Whitie the other night was playing half speed and he usually skates his butt off every shift.

Happy I’m not Bergevin, I hate politics in hockey and you can bet the world’s bank account he was told to sign Briere and if it was Bergevin’s own knowledge that signed him then Bergevin is clueless. We all knew he (Briere) was aging and not very good. But hey you gots to do what you gots to do to keep your job.

Anyway, the fans will keep coming, but here is one fan who isn’t putting any money into them in 2014. I wanted to come out in April for the playoffs, but to be honest, I think I’ll just save my money for something else. Maybe buy Carey Price’s game used 2014 Team Canada jersey, it will be about the same price as the trip.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• ABHabsfan says:

Really good point about MT not being able to bag skate the group after the Fla fiasco, because he is trying to keep/regain the room. I don’t think many people, including me, have considered that angle but it makes perfect sense.
          I am not a big fan of MT and he is fired I won’t lose any sleep. His hiring was as much political as anything and that is no way to run a team IMO. Having said that I’m glad he at least has the stones to sit Briere. He is just not an NHL player anymore.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habfan17 says:

I am not concerned with Emelin, it takes time to get back from such a serious injury and having missed so many games. I am not sure I hold your positive thoughts about MT changing his ways and giving the young guns more reins!

Habfan17

• Timo says:

I am highly doubtful, Jim. I mean, yes, the team can go on another winning streak but it will never come to the same level of consistency a contender would have… not under Therrien (and Bergevin).

Come spring time any kind of playoffs aspirations will depend squarely on Carey’s shoulders and nothing else. If Carey lets more than 2 goals in they are doomed cause the team isn’t scoring. If he only lets in one, they may have a chance.

64. JohnBellyful says:

Lots of discussion today about MT’s continued employment and the candidates currently available to replace him. No consensus was reached on who that might be, so MT’s job would seem to be secure, at least until the end of the season.
    If that’s the case, why doesn’t MB take Therrien under his wing and enrol him in the general manager’s personal development program — the accelerated version?
    Credit has been given to MT’s PDP for turning Subban into a Norris Trophy winner. I don’t see why MB’s personal development program couldn’t achieve the same level of success by converting MT into this year’s Jack Adams winner.
    Mind you, his student doesn’t offer as much promise as MT’s did, but I have the utmost faith in MB’s ability to make a silk purse out of a sow’s rear.

65. Arnou Ruelle says:

Congrats to Pacioretty being named at the US Olympic hockey team. Hopefully, this will make a statement if whether Bergevin would consider trading him or not (And I DO hope it will NOT happen at all!).

66. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hab 17, I asked you (typically, AFTER a new thread had started) how you got the Editor working (so two pages back).

And similarly, Matty, I challenged your use of the word “amazing” for Montreal’s D.

67. Dunboyne Mike says:

Thinking of great American players: I loved Mike Modano.

68. RAM_TOUGH says:

What if Pacioretty scored the game winning goal on Price to win the Gold? How would that go over in the Habs dressing room? LOL

Guts-Glory-Ram

69. Saintpatrick33 says:

Awesome GJ Max!

70. Mavid says:

I will be at that game Saturday..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

71. RAM_TOUGH says:

A Day off For F sakes. They always get a day off after a stinker!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Habfan17 says:

Wasn’t it Gionta that said it was tough coming back from 7 days off. How about a practice concentrating on break outs. Oh, sorry, they need to work on ground balls again!

Habfan17

72. kairos66 says:

But they left Bobby Ryan off the team? What gives?
    Kairos66