Pacioretty named to Team USA for Sochi Olympics

The Canadiens, coming off a 5-4 overtime loss to the Hurricanes on New Year’s Eve in Carolina, enjoyed an off day Wednesday in Dallas as they get ready to face the Stars Thursday night (8:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty got some good news on New Year’s Day, learning that he will be part of Team USA for the Sochi Olympics. Canadiens teammate Alex Galchenyuk failed to make Team USA.

“It’s obviously such an honour, especially when you see some of the guys who didn’t make the team,” said Pacioretty, who has 17 goals and four assists in 32 games this season and is minus-1. “It could have gone either way.

“I’ve played pretty well of late, but my game is even better than I’ve shown so far this year,” he added. “Now that the stress or pressure to prove anything to Team USA  is off my back I have to do more to help my team here. I have to take things one day at a time and build up some momentum and get used to winning.”

Team USA will have 13 returning members from the squad that won silver at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The Team USA roster was announced at the conclusion of Wednesday’s Winter Classic game, in which the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 in a shootout.

Among the players who didn’t make Team USA’s 25-man roster are forwards Bobby Ryan, Brandon Dubinsky, Kyle Okposo and Jason Pominville, and defencemen Dustin Byfuglien, Keith Yandle, Erik Johnson and Jack Johnson.

Thursday’s game marks the end of a six-game road trip for the Canadiens, who will play their first game of 2014 at the Bell Centre Saturday night against the Ottawa Senators.

Former Canadien Erik Cole has 10 goals and 10 assists in 39 games with the Stars this season and is minus-5. Cole was on a roll in December, scoring eight goals in 15 games.

“I think Erik has played well for a good period of time,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff told the team’s website. “These last few weeks he has really played well for us and has skated well. He’s a big man that’s hard to control and when he’s skating, he’s a powerful body out there for us.”

(Photo by Scott Iskowitz/Getty Images)

Pacioretty on U.S. Olympic team, by Pat Hickey

Mix of veterans, youth highlight U.S. Olympic team, NHL.com

Habs vs. Stars preview, NHL.com

Cole on a roll, stars.nhl.com

Leafs win Winter Classic on Bozak’s shootout goal, NHL.com

Lack of discipline to blame for Habs’ loss, by Pat Hickey

1. habcertain says:

Too bad, I liked George, not you’re typical heavyweight.

2. rhino514 says:

I have a strong feeling Pateryn is going to get promoted very soon.
    Bad news on Emelin, it seems he has a way to go to regain his former form. If he doeasn´t regain it before the end of the season, forget about doing any damage in the playofs.
    Good news on Briere; I´m sure he wants out by now; let´s just admit the mistake and play Bournival.
    This team went on a ten game point streak quite recently. They haven´t played particularly well lately but they have also caught some bad breaks. They have enough talent to turn it around and go on another streak. They are kinda playing like they did just before they went on the win streak.

3. Sportfan says:

Emelin Briere are scratched and Parros is seeing a concussion specialist in Michigan.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Mattyleg says:

As I said below for those who are really (really?) saying that Konopka would be a good acquisition, he has never, in his 9 seasons in the NHL, been in the plus column.

And the only two seasons he played more than 55 games, he was -11 and -14.

And he doesn’t speak French.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. The Teacher says:

So emelin is a healthy scratch tonight?

6. Habitoban says:

Emelin and Briere sit tonight. May help Emelin…, not sure there is any helping Briere at this point.

• Kooch7800 says:

Emelin needs a rest. I have no idea what they should do with Briere….he isn’t good enough for the top 3 lines and he isn’t a 4th line player

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

7. Wintercount says:

Elephant in the room.

200 x 100 = 20,000

200 x 85 = 17,000
    ———–
    3,000 sq’

• krob1000 says:

It is quite a large difference although it doesn’t seem it until you look at it that way. Nearly 18 percent difference in size.

• Wintercount says:

Everything, the speed of the game, the size of the players, the quality of strategy and especially the concussion issue have a direct correlation with the time/space. Indeed, the future of the “La Game” itself.

IMAGINATION ON “La Glace” is quickly leaving – is there anywhere else to draw the line?

8. Et le but says:

YES!!!! Team Canada off to the semi’s

Well done boys!

9. slyCH says:

I got bit by a dog monday night after work. The loss to the Hurricanes the next night hurt more. Let’s hope 2014 goes better.

10. durocher says:

According to @markhmasters of TSN: “Fucale’s nickname is Fooks”

11. durocher says:

Konopka on waivers — MB should take a serious look at him. Konopka is 65% on faceoffs this year and can fight (Parros could be done for the year, or for his career, and at a minimum won’t play much this year).

Here’s some more armchair GM’ing for your pre-game amusement: Gionta and Bourque to Washington for Brouwer, Erat, and Galiev

Max-DD-Brouwer
    EGG
    BournID-Pleks-Erat
    Moen-Konopka/White-Prust

And I hope one day soon:
    Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Tinordi-Pateryn

• CJ says:

Sadly, the guy that has hurt us most is still in the lineup – Emelin. When a forward makes a mistake, he has a defencemen to cover it up. When a defencemen makes a mistake he has only the goalie to cover for him. When a goalie makes a mistakes the puck ends up in the net. Over the past few games, Emelin has been making the biggest mistakes, or is failing to cover up for other’s and their mistakes. As a result, the opposition is getting too many great chances. Even against a goalie as good as Price, it becomes too much.

• CJ says:

I say sadly, as I really like his game. However, it has become clear to me that something is not right. He seems a shell of his former self. Gotta be patient. The Olympic break could really help this team get back on track. The key will be to see if we can hold steady and win as many as we lose between now and then.

• krob1000 says:

HE is another like PAtches that I feel is playing it safe until after Sochi…whether these guys are doing it intentionally or subconsciously I see a lot of players virtually eliminating the physical aspects of their game across the league. I suspect you see Emelin laying guys out again in late Feb.

• CJ says:

I hope you’re right. I miss that Emelin. I believe missing training camp delays a player more then we can really imagine. I guess its like missing the driving range before hitting the links. There are qualities and a sense of style that are developed in practice that become foundations when the game starts. I think one of the issues with Emelin now is he does not have the fall back point of reference that might have been developed in training camp. Perhaps my golf analogy is weak, but for me anyway it makes sense. If I have a few bad shots on the course, I try and go back to the fundementals that were developed on the driving range. Food for thought….

• mark-ID says:

I would do that trade for sure. I’ve always been a big Brower fan. He would look good along side Patch and Desharnais.

• Habfan17 says:

I am a little nervous of Erat, otherwise I like your trade suggestion.
      I would also like to see MB pick up Konopka. He may not make it to the Habs though. He would have to be passed on by teams lower in the standings if I have my information correct.

Habfan17

• frontenac1 says:

Zenon can fight and he likes to also, but he is a middle weight. He has a 51% career win rate but when tangling with the big boys it is not good at all. If you are looking for a replacement for Parros,I dont think he is the answer. I would prefer to see Marc swing a deal with the Pens to get Pierre Luc Leblond from Wilkes-Barre.

12. Et le but says:

Important goal to give us a 3-1 lead…pure Canadian grit and determination…love it!

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Not putting Bobby Ryan on a team is typical “over-thinking coaching”. Their reasoning makes no sense. Speed is not an issue once in the offensive zone, on the PP and in the shootout. BTW he’s not slow…never heard that criticism before until this year. Supposedly he is not “intense”…have any of these guys seen Kessel play? Also, they put Statsny and Max on the 4th line. They are not good defensive players so the two-way reasoning makes no sense. This is the type of thinking that kept Gretkzy out of a shootout…sometimes the obvious move is the best move.

• Ali says:

I always get annoyed by what I believe to be the over-emphasis on special teams. They left him off because he wasn’t going to be used on the PP, and he’s not that productive on the PP. The majority of the game is played 5 on 5, and if he’s mostly productive there, why on earth would you not want that?

• CJ says:

At the risk of being singled out as that guy, I would take Bobby Ryan’s game over Max’s based on their play this season. Living in Ottawa I have seen the Senators and Ryan live on two occassions and he does a lot more away from the puck then Max does. When Max has the puck, or is pursuit of the puck he is a strong, effective player. Away from the puck however he can find himself out of position. Ryan is better in this facet of the game. Both are snipers with great releases and can get open in a phone booth. It was an interesting choice. My two cents only.

• The Jackal says:

I think Team USA’s reasoning on leaving Ryan out makes sense.
      IF they aren’t going to use him on the top lines, then why take him if that results in him being misused? Makes sense to have guys that work well together and make more cohesive unit.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

14. habs001 says:

For those that follow junior hockey is it true that some highly skilled offensive players were left off of the junior team for defensive forwards?.Some of the Canadian forwards to me look pretty average in offensive ability…But i know that is the Canadian philosophy in icing a national team..If Canada had the greatest 12 offensive forwards available at the same time at any level i bet 3-4 would not get picked…

15. Luke says:

Half a foot(ish) of fresh powder and it is still falling. Too bad I’m not a skier… Today’s run is going to suck.

16. Et le but says:

The Swiss keep hanging around…tough to put them away.

Gotta bear down in the third boys and bury some of those grade A looks.

17. I hate Swiss hockey! You can actually see their players get near the red line then say to themselves oops too close to the Canadians zone and then turn back into their zone so they have 5 back.

Team Canada could actually pull a Flyer and keep passing the puck around in the third and no Swiss player would attack into their zone.

I hope the Canadians some how run the score up and make these guys attack so the game will be more open.

Go Canada Go

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

I has a question… so is Bouillon going to play the rest of the season now?

19. Just A Guy says:

They have to call it a goal, sadly.

20. Steeltown Hab says:

Just because others may get more PK time. Let’s not kid ourselves, Subban is the best penalty killer we have on the back end.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

21. Mattyleg says:

Pittsburgh just picked up Taylor Pyatt off waivers.
    …and you know who’s available…?

KONOOOOOPKAAAAAA!!!

…the greatest player to never be a Hab.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

22. Storman says:

Marc Crawford head coach with the ZSC Lions of the National League A. in Europe his goalie is Melvin Nyffeler of team Switzerland he says he has the ability to steal this game against Team Canada, not sure about that but he does look good.

Man I still believe MB should have selected Crawford over MT to coach Canadians,,

23. Storman says:

Mantha stayed on the draft board until#20 yikes DOH,,, Draft day is sometimes just like going to Vegas,, Detroit has got a beauty,, the defensive responsibilities and 200ft NHL game can be taught , the first rate scoring skill set at 6’5 can not be taught.

• Eddie says:

Wait til Martin FRk starts scoring 35 a season for the. I like Turco and TAtar as well.

Detroit is all over the Q!!

• Storman says:

Yup Detroit is very good at finding and developing late first and early 2nd picks, you have to be when you never finish at the bottom of the league standings ever.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Making the playoffs last year cost the Habs a good pick in the first round of a good draft. There was a reason why nobody wanted to trade down. At worst Mantha becomes another Max. Well at least Molson made some money…

24. Habfan10912 says:

Not supriced Ruff has the Stars playing well. The Canucks and the Rangers hired the wrong coach.

25. slyCH says:

What the f@vck is Max talking about. Really out of touch these players. The Rocket moved his house and scored 5 goals one day. Ahhhhhh, I give up.

26. JUST ME says:

That swiss team is the perfect example of things to come. They have been progressing and more and more threathening and organized for a few years now. Competition from many european countries will be fierce in the next years cause with the popularity of the sport, the KHL and their northern climates ,we will without a doubt see them develop new gifted athletes.

27. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Maybe late posting this, but there’s a good piece on tsn, and their app, about Zach Fucale. Seems his teammates at the WJC are calling him “Zach”, not “Fuc-y”.

28. habsfan0 says:

Guy Carbonneau’s last game as head coach of the Habs was a game in Dallas vs the Stars.
    Habs won,Carbonneau fired anyways.
    Will history repeat itself?

One can only dream.

29. krob1000 says:

Drew Doughty got 59 pts in his second season…since then he has got 40, 36 in cup sinning year, 22 in 48 games and is on pace for 44 this year. Yet he is reagrded as one of the most complete dmen in the game….I guess sometimes less is more! HE is a prerfect example of what the team wants to do with PK Subban. COuld Doughty be a 60 pt dman? absolutley. Could Doughty take over games at time whimself? absolutley. Is that better for the team? I suspect the Cup win and example he has become are far more important to him, his teammates and the organization than im gettingan extra 15-20 pts himself a season. Doughty was very similar to Subban early on….also took some work to refine and tunr into the rock he has become.

• Eddie says:

I think Subban is better than Doughty right now.

• Eddie says:

I would like to count how many of these ” mental errors” Subban actually mistakes.

Reminds me of Larry Robinson. Every time he made a mistake we never heard the end of it. Then, he would make 100 plays in a row flawlessly and no one would comment.

• krob1000 says:

I don’t remember Robinson like many of the people on here…I only got to see the tail end of his career. I have seen plenty of old games and can see his level but I don’t know what the media or fans read on him was,etc.

I am a huge Subban fan, my son has an autographed sweater and chose 76 for his number for this years spring team. We practice Subbie doo’s all the time and Subban is a legend in our house. I love the way he plays the game and I love his passion…he actaully reminds me of Ovechkin but as a dman. He has unbelievable talent and sometimes it is his heart and passion that actually cause him to falter and try to do too much. Sometimes he will pull that off but other times the other players will get upset. When a dman rushes and turns a 4 on 3 into a 1 on 3 with three stopped forwards that gets frustrating. Subban has the potential to be a hall of famer IMO but I do see him at times do frustrating things. You are right…they are not often and if someone else they may go unnoticed…but that make sit no less right to get on him about it given his ability.

He has had 20 years to make his mistakes and now he is on the biggest stage…he needs to eliminate the unforced erros. The game has not become a game of spectacular plays as much as it has become a war of the fewest mistakes. Subban can overcome a lot and I am sure that if management thought he was unable to react they would stop trying to coach him….they obviously see what we all see. They just have a different agenda in that they want to build long term success and we view things one game at a time.

Subban will be the biggest contract maybe in Habs history? they have to be sure that he is on board with what they want and I can’t say I blame them. I get pissed becauase i Have seen him absolutely dominate and games like the Florida one drive me batty where they finally activated the D (not just subban) and they were dominant (although they didn’t score).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great post, krob. So much of your household description resonates here where my 10-yr old loves PK.

Also very interesting is your comparison with Ovechkin, someone else I like for similar reasons (like insanely gifted huge, fast, fun-loving kids). (And there seems to be mutual respect there, too).

For sure needs NHL tutoring. Is the tutoring Montreal is providing (JJ, MT) adequate to the talent he brings?

• CJ says:

Subban is trending favorably and has a higher ceiling, however Doughty is the better all around player right now. For what its worth, Subban was the better player last year. At the end of the day, its splitting hairs. We are talking about 2 of the best defencemen in the league.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Doughty is trusted in all situations.
      He is the PP QB.
      He is a Top pairing or # 3 on the PK.
      He is called upon late in the game to shut down the other team’s best
      He has won the Cup and had 16 points in 20 playoff games when the Kings won the Cup and was + 11.

• Eddie says:

Subban has 16 points in 26 playoff games, many of which he played as a raw, mid season rookie. Norris Trophy. Power play dominant. On pace for close to 60 points.

2 years ago Subban PROVED he could LEAD the penalty kill to top 5 in the league.

• krob1000 says:

That same season Desahrnais “proved” he could center a number 1 line….of a low ranking team that is. I would prefer to have Subban on for the pp and more 5 on 5. I don’t want him blocking a ton of shots and tiring himelf out shorthanded when others can do nearly the same job. The team is currently 4th in the league without Pk on the PK so why run the risk of him getting hurt, tired or both?

30. Dunboyne Mike says:

Matty,
    Which university?
    You won’t believe it, but last July here the whole month was like the south of France. We spent a week at a beach in Wicklow, every day saying, “Are we actually in Ireland?”
    But that was very much the perverse exception. You’re assessment of the Irish “summer” is quite accurate — thank you for putting it out there for Timo. I was buying time, trying to think of some positive spin to put on it!…
    But which university?

31. Just A Guy says:

A couple of thoughts, though first of all happy new year y’all, I know I don’t post much, but I do love this place.

Got to love how the Swiss are emerging as a respectable hockey power.

I’m a bit ambivalent about not getting Frederick Gauthier, he’s big, he can win face-offs it looks like…but man is he slow (I’m not paying to much attention so I might only be noticing his lack of speed at the end of his shifts). So…meh.

But you really have to love Fucale. I didn’t like his game against the Slovaks, though I wouldn’t fault him on any of the goals. I’d actually fault him more on the two U.S. goals even though I really liked how he played overall in that game. At the end of the period against the Swiss I really like how he kept his pads on the ice while he was moving side to side.

• Storman says:

Do not worry to much about us missing out on Gauthier, unless his skating skills improve immensely, will be have a very hard time with the speed of professional hockey. That said Gauthier who went #21 not impressive,,but Anthony Mantha who went #20 and Andre Burakovsky who went at #23, those two players that just went ahead of our pick, are serious threats to have a great NHL career.
      PS Michael McCarron had 4 point night yesterday hopefully he continues to get better, we will see him at the WJC next year for team USA. 6-5 Weight: 240lbs, man it sure would be nice for him and or Connor Crisp to develop into a power forward that can skate pop a few goals all with a nice little mean streak.

32. Fab K says:

Anyone have a link to the Canada – Swiss game? TSN feed preferably :) thanks!

33. Storman says:

Flyers have a beauty in Scott Laughton, looks like a Mike Richards clone drafting system.

34. Steeltown Hab says:

Thing with MTL is with this roster we’re not going to be missing the playoffs in the east, no matter how mismanaged ice time, PP minutes and line combos and d-pairings get.

Unless we miss playoffs, we can expect Therrien here for another full season.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Maritime Ronn says:

Unless there is a full blown revolt or the team totally gives up in the playoffs, he will be around until at least this time next year.
      Expect a host of changes between now and July with expiring contracts-trades-Hamilton promotions and maybe a free agent signing or 2.
      Habs willl need some type of continuity….

• Steeltown Hab says:

I expected that this year. Really blown away, 1 of the 3 in Hamilton don’t have a roster spot with our weak back end.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Strummer says:

As weak as our back end is I think we should leave the young guys in Hamilton and let them develop.

Tiny and Beau are only 21, Pateryn is 23.
          We aren’t going to win anything this year so what’s the rush?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

• JUST ME says:

@ Steeltown Hab

One must be carefull before judging the talent in Hamilton. This was an empty team and is now being replenished but results will take time. For most of the kids this is a much higher lever more demanding and playing in a new environment.
          This is the key piece of the Bergevin plan. Taking the time to make sure that Hamilton has the structure,the staff and the players needed to be able to feed the NHL team. As most of the western teams took time to build…

• JUST ME says:

I do not think that Therrien`s job was ever in jeopardy but only here for some on HIO. His record speaks by itself and he is following the plan. Bergevin has no reson to be unsatisfied. That being said it remains to be seen if he gets another deal at the end of this one but i would not be surprised if he did.

Bergevin`s plan is long term. Build farm team , put in place a coaching system within the organization, end or terminate players deals that were siigned before his eraand make a run for the cup.
      This off season will be big (hopefully) because many veterans may go through trades or see their deal not be renewed.

35. Maritime Ronn says:

Looks like a tough one tonight.

Carey is going to have to stand on his head (again)
    In the last 2 weeks, Dallas has beaten the Kings twice, and have also won against Colorado and Vancouver.
    They have overtime losses to St. Louis and SJ.

The Stars have outscored their opponents 23-13 during their current seven-game points streak.
    The Stars have allowed two goals or fewer in six of their last seven games.
    The Canadiens have scored one goal or fewer in seven of their last ten games.
    Eric Cole has six goals in the last ten games.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi MR.
      Yes, it feels like Han Solo’s famous line is apt here.
      Normally I would say that the Habs always elevate their game against the top teams.
      I said it before the St Louis game.
      So I’m not saying it tonight!
      Jols? I’m back on programme.
      (Despite sense of impending doom, I’m very happy for Cole).

36. Habfan10912 says:

Out friend Sholli yestetday had a very thought provoking post. He said , and I’m paraphrasing here, that MT knows he lost the room and is trying to get it back by holding baseball games and giving days off instead of working the boys.

We or certainly I have no way to know if that’s true. Boooe kind of implied that in one of his ALN pieces. It’s an interesting thought none the less.

37. krob1000 says:

Patches now tied for 12th in NHl in goals…crazy how quickly it can change.

38. Walmyr says:

Hello fellows…

first…a great year for you and family!!!

second…winter classic was amazing in my (brazilian) opinion…We have the chance to watch the game (ESPN) again this year. But this time the atmosphere, the crowd and the ice conditions made the game special. I don’t have to tell you that yesterday was 35°C in here!!!…of course the game was different from what we are usual but I really liked (forgetting about the final result, of course…)

third…cheers for Max Pac….he deserves. Now let see how he works playing without his tiny soul mate…

CHeers everyone

39. Storman says:

Bad penalty by Josh Morrissey, I would have liked to see Mike Matheson on the team instead of Morrissey..

40. punkster says:

Re: PK being held on a short leash.

There may be other explanations. Review the 24CH starting at episode 9. Watch closely whenever PK is in the picture.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

41. Storman says:

Drouin’s hands never seize to amaze me, He never stops working on his game, complete rink rat..

42. Habfan10912 says:

@Eddie. You made a comment about Murray and Frankie B no longer being NHL players. I agree. That’s why I expect Pateryn and Tinordi to be added to the mix soon.

As for Diaz, I am disappointed in his play. With the edition of Emelin I thought he’d thrive in a reduced role. It seems that the exact opposite gas happened. Is it possible his playing partner(s) have more to do with that?

43. Storman says:

Hey guys the uniforms make it look like a Red & White Canada scrimmage, I am cheering for Team Red, lol, man i need to make something to eat, but I cant leave TV..Go Canada GO,,

44. That chest protector the Swiss goalie is wearing would be illegal in the NHL, what a joke!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

45. GL says:

Dallas wins tonight than what happens. Trades or firings or both.
    I have a feeling Dallas will win.

46. krob1000 says:

Habstrini re Subban
    Subban was given way more offensive freedom last season. HE wa also given plenty early this season. When you said they should let him lead and then the team will folow suit I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that is the fear…that the team will follow suit and right now he is not refined enough. IT is difficult to have a player playing outside of your team system and very few guys are ever given that ability. PK is still being professionalized…..but surely managment and the coaches have shown enough of an awareness of his ability and their use of him when down indicates this. The team is trying to establish a culture…a culture where noone is above the team.

PK when given room does create a ton….but he has also proven he takes too many gambles in those situations and still needs to pick and choose better…he is by no means a finished product. For the team to excel PK needs to excel..but not as an indivdual..as a great player and great team player. One who still plays the game correctly and knows when to create and when to be a dman. THe HAbs don’t want a Mike Green or Justin Shultz…they want a Ray Bourque, Lidstrom or Scott Niedermayer. They want a guy who makes smart decisions and still contributes offensviely….they want a guy who can control the game in a team oriented manner. PK has that ability and the HAbs know it…I too get frustrated…but I try to remind myself of the bigger picture.

47. Storman says:

Anybody getting ready to watch Team Canada vs Swiss. keep an eye on the lookout for this 17yr old kid on Switzerland Kevin Fiala, kid is quite fffff good , could be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round next year..

48. krob1000 says:

Eddie…re “gallagher”. I think he has some sniping ability but I think of him as more of a Gionta clone. That is fine if he goes on to be a Gionta clone…Gio has had a very successful career but for Glachneyuk to become a 90 pt guy he needs better than Gallagher/Patches IMO….or those two in an completely open system. Playing the way the HAbs do the other winger would have to be a guy who can get pts and create space in the cycling game as well Gallagher can’t be both places…in the corners and in front of the net…and neither Galch or Patches is especially good on the walls. Galch is getting better but Eller IMO is the best the team has on the walls right now in the ozone. Gallagher has a great release and work ethic and I guess it could work but Patches and Galchneyuk have to put in more of the dirty work…Gallagher cannot sustain the style of game he is playing ….he can keep the same level of determination and effort for his puck battles and when he is in front…but he can’ t ALWAYS have to be the guy going into the corner or in front. IF Chucky and Patches would share equal parts that role than Gally would be more effective. IT seems now that whoever plays with him just watches him always be first on the puck, always be first to the net and they just play the simple game around him instead of playing that game with him if that makes any sense.

• Eddie says:

I like Gallagher for puck retrieval and I like Gallagher then going to the net once we have pck possession.

We need another winger for our top 6, for sure.

But I definitely would like to see Galchenyuk at center with Max on the left and Gallagher on the right side.

I love Max but if he attaches himself to Desharnais I would sit him down and read him the freakin riot act.

Desharnais can NOT be a #1 center, and Max is our number 1 left winger.

49. bwoar says:

Are they waiting to trade Gionta before announcing Subban as the captain (with a huge contract)?

I would think they won’t pull a a guy’s C mid-season, he’d have to be gone for that, right?

BONUS: Once they have Subban in place, can he then please tell Pacioretty to STFU for two minutes and play for the team that pays him, rather than for himself? That’d be nice.

“thoroughbred”

50. doug19 says:

I like Murray his puck handling and hitting are great. Habs need bigger D who are in the works. Pacs man is not huge in the league as it has become. I have no problem with small quick forwards such as St Louis. Age and expiring contracts will cause changes in the next two years. We have 3 going to the Olympics at least. That’s a great start!!!