Pacioretty, Prust back on the ice at Friday practice

A day after missing practice in Lac Mégantic, Max Pacioretty and Brandon Prust were both back on the ice Friday in Brossard as the Canadiens prepared to face the Philadelphia Flyers Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Pacioretty, who appeared to suffer an upper-body injury during the season-opening 4-3 loss to Toronto on Tuesday, took a “therapy day” Thursday, while Prust missed practice for family reasons.

With George Parros out indefinitely after suffering a concussion in a season-opening fight with the Maple Leafs’ Colton Orr, rookie Michael Bournival and Ryan White took turns playing centre on the fourth line at Friday’s practice between Prust and Travis Moen. Coach Michel Therrien said he will decide Saturday morning which player will get the start at centre against the Flyers.

Therrien also said he met with Parros for the first time since the enforcer suffered a concussion and indicated he is doing well, but is still suffering from headaches.

For Canadiens fans who enjoyed the 24CH show last season, the first episode of the second season will air Saturday night at 6:30 on Canal D and at 10:30 on RDS.

Here’s how the lines looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Prust-White-Bournival-Moen

Diaz-Markov
Gorges-Subban
Tinordi-Bouillon

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Briere ready to put the past behind him, Canadiens.com

The time has come for young Flyers, philadelphiaflyers.com

1. Danno says:

Detroit is having a tough time against Carolina. Down 1-0

EDIT – 2-0 Canes. Gerbe scores. Ward playing a solid game.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

2. zorro says:

Great goltending in the Ottawa Buffalo game. 39 shots combined in the 1st period, no goals. Anderson and Miller tough to beat.

3. frontenac1 says:

Cigarettes make no sense to me. But a good Cuban Cigar? That is Civilized amigos!

4. WVHabsfan says:

Hey Hobie. I plan on quitting drinking Sunday. I am pulling for you! I am a god fearing man so I will keep you I’m my prayers regarding your quitting smoking!

5. frontenac1 says:

@hobie. If smoking,drinking, watching fights,partying makes you happy, then DO It! As Frank Sinatra said” You only live once, but if you play your cards right, once is enough” Saludos!

6. Mr_MacDougall says:

So we all agree…. DD is the new Gomez…

7. B says:

McCarron playing tonight for London vs Vail and Windsor. Game just getting under way:

–Go Habs Go!–

8. savethepuck says:

Thanks Winnipeg Hab for posting the link to the top 50 prospects earlier. Loved seeing Galchenyuk at #1 with Gally 35th and Nate 36th. Future looks bright. As a Saint Joyner, I was also glad tonsee 4 Saint John Sea Dogs make the list ( Huberdeau, Beaulieu, Coyle and Despris.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

9. habs1992 says:

Bill has a choice to smoke or not to smoke, just like fighters do, to fight or not to fight, their choice, P.S John Scott got the 2nd loudest ovation from Sabers fans

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• Ozmodiar says:

>P.S John Scott got the 2nd loudest ovation from Sabers fans

Why? Did he light up at center ice?

I thought the First Niagara Center was a no smoking facility. Meh, it’s Buffalo, I’m not surprised.

10. Stevie.Ray says:

Beaulieu is recalled from Hamilton. He must be racking up a ton of Airmiles

11. Adidess says:

I was thinking about the last game and how much the result hurt and came to the realization that no regular season loss last year affected me as much as the outcome of this one loss to the Leafs. So, why?

Is it because it’s a loss to the Leafs? Well, we lost plenty to the Leafs last year. What else is new?

Is it because that was the first game and loss of the season? Maybe, but that would be quite irrational, considering a loss in Dec/January weighs exactly the same as that opening day loss in the balance of the season. In fact, there is a greater chance of bouncing back from a defeat in the first game (with 81 other matches left).

Is it because of what happened to Parros? I feel that’s closer to reality, but at the same time maybe the psychological impact of the Parros incident is not as strong or doesn’t linger, if we win the game.

It’s a combination of all three, I think. But in the end, this whole doom and gloom sensation may have more to do with expectations for the year. Winning the division and coming second in the entire conference last year made us assume we have the horses to compete in or even dominate the East. Looking critically at our personnel vis-à-vis that of other squads, the reality is we might be closer to the squad fans watched struggle in the latter part of the regular season than we are to the one that scored and won at ease in the few weeks of the shortened season.

If we adjust expectations a bit–from first 3 playoff spots in the East, as surprisingly many predicted in the HIO poll, to 7th to 12th place in the conference where we realistically belong–maybe we become more indulgent and more patient towards our DDs, Giontas, Pleks and Prices and come to enjoy the journey of the regular season a bit more.

The doom and gloom reaction to that one loss on Tuesday is not a way to live as a sports fan, unless you’re Timo. We will lose another 35 times at the very least before this season is over so… think about it.

12. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Plans fell through, have to sell tickets for tomorrow nights game.

Pair of Sec 223 Desjardins tickets
    $300/pair

Email me at tony.dalessandro@sympatico.ca if interested…

13. Bill says:

I am joking a little Hobie. Like I said, would quit if I could. Wish you lots of luck. Oh, and thanks Mavid.

14. Danno says:

I think I’ll check out Detroit vs Carolina tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

15. Danno says:

Habs vs Flyers tomorrow night at the Bell Centre

Some thoughts and one ugly dude.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

16. Mavid says:

hahahaha Sens new line for this year “Fearless””

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

17. Alex_425 says:

Flip-flops and tube socks, that’s some style you got there, Gally.

EDIT: Also, I have awakened from my summer slumber in time for the good ol’ Hockey season. Didja miss me?!

*crickets*

But I’m no expert….

18. Ron says:

Beaulieu has been recalled.

19. Alvin says:

Line up
    Pacioretty / Eller / Briere
    Bournival /Galchenyuk /Gallagher
    Bourque / Plekanec /Gionta
    Moen / White / Prust

eh eh?

20. ClutchNGrab says:

So my company just replaced our Windows Phone for iPhone, which I thought was great news, until I came here. My previous phone allowed me to default the desktop version of the site, not the iPhone. So I downloaded the HIO app, thinking there would be a little plus sign for each post that had replies, but no, same confusing system as the mobile site.

I downloaded the chrome browser app, there you have a menu item that you can press and selected “Request Desktop Site”.

Problem solved.

I don’t know if there are other ways to get around this on an iPhone. (see what i did there?)

21. John Q Public says:

I guess we all want to run the Habs in are own druthers.
    But this caboodle here often rants high dudgeon about others comments.
    Could DD be getting the short shrift here or is he a petard?
    Was this ramble cogent?

Has there been a day since the pre-season that RDS didn’t have a picture of Dany Briere on their site?

23. Ozmodiar says:

I like the look of that 4th line from the practice combos!!

Prust-White-Bournival-Moen

Looking forward to seeing the forecheck.

24. Dunboyne Mike says:

Mattyleg.

Just catching up now on the day’s posts. DD and the Lollipop Guild.

Tears. Seriously. Reaching for hankie, trying not to alarm wife.

Thank you for that.

25. gregorman says:

I trult hope that Pacioretty isn’t out for any extended period of time. We really lack size without him. There was a lot made out of the “size” that MB acquired during the summer, but I have to say that I didn’t see any of it when MaxPac was out. That line of Briere, Prust, and Dsharnais had to be one of the smallest lines iced in the modern era.

You have your version, I’ve got the truth.

26. rhino514 says:

The team has been giving up alot of goals for the past twenty games or so. They are iffy defensively.
    But I would venture to say it may not be the Dmen´s fault (nor Price´s). I agree with the poster who says the team as a whole isn´t playing cohesively defensively.
    And I´d venture to say that may have more to do with coaching strategy than anything else.
    Jacques Martin´s team were boring but they didn´t give up many goals. Therrien has a much more aggressive approach and it makes for more entertaining games, but we get scored upon more.
    I am not predicating going back to JM´s passive style, but it just seems to me the team doesn´t play very disciplined and smart defensively. I suspect that even with Emelin back, Subban, Gorges et al, that we still won´t be one of the stingiest teams in the league. It doesn´t seem to be stemming from the blue line. I think Therrien should TRY to instill a more defensively responsible concept. Look at what the Sens were able to do last year with Karlsson and spezza out. We have a strong enough forward corps that we can still score even in a defensive frame.
    But I question Therrien´s ability to adjust, moreover, I openly wonder if he knows how to coach any other way than just “swarm”.
    I think if the team does not improve defensively over the course of the next 40 games or so, we could be seeing the beginning of the end of MT. I believe he was only brought on for 2 years anyway. I like the guy, and he works well with kids, as we´ve seen with pretty much all the young players last year. So he has been invaluable. But as a coach, long term, he doesn´t seem to be a brilliant strategist or have a knack for making adjustments.

• gregorman says:

For me, it’s been a pleasant change to see the habs actually take it to the opposition for a change. For way too many years, the team played a sit back and wait, score in transition game that led to us playing most of the game in our own end, as well as a feast or famine type offense. I really don’t enjoy watching the team get outshot heavily and on their heels all night, and since Therrien returned, we haven’t played that way at all.
      I do blame Price, myself. He doesn’t make the saves. The day before Mike Cammalleri was dealt, he said (paraphrasing here) ‘we’ve lost our swagger.’ Halak made the saves when he needed to, when the tam needed him to: he bailed them out a LOT. Price makes some good saves, but no lead seems safe with him in the third to me as a viewer, at least. Especially versus the Leafs. I just know that the opponent is going to tie the game up, be it by a perfect, 1 in a 1000 shot, or less by any margin.
      Management has no plan in case Price implodes; in fact, all they’ve done, beginning with the Halak deal to St Louis, is make certain that the other goalie is no match for Price. What the hell do we do if Price gets injured? Never mind what do we do if he plays average, do we really trust in Budaj to take the reins and run with them? He might be a capable backup, but he’s no #1 goalie on any NHL team. I hope Price gets better, but I fear it’s a long few years ahead, with his fragile confidence and high cap hit…

You have your version, I’ve got the truth.

• Danno says:

Zach Fucale?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• rhino514 says:

I don´t know about Price, to be honest, but I think he is definitely good enough to be a number one goaltender. I think when the team has been responsible defensively, he has played well. I don´t think he is the biggest part of the problem. Sure, it would be great to have Lundquist or Rinne, but that´s not our reality.
        I mean, look at Ryan Miller; once considred the best goaltender in the game. But he´s been playing on a mediocre team the past few seasons and he has been inconsistent. It tells you something about how much a goaltender´s stats are dependant on his team.
        I too live in fear when the team is ahead by a goal past the midway point of the game now.
        I think it is going to take a healthy Emelin AND a commitment to playing sound, defensive hockey by the team. I don´t feel that commitment is there right now.

27. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok, I enjoy a good scrap but even I don’t wanna talk about it anymore!!!!!!

• HabFab says:

We don’t always agree but anyone who body slams Leaf fans onto hoods of Cabs is A Okay in my books :)

And I too enjoy a good scrap… age does tend to mellow you a bit.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Lol you remember that story eh? I’m bit older now, 37, but I’m heading to the Leafs and Habs game in Montreal on November 30th. I can’t see it happening again but I’ll be ready to go at the drop of a hat if a Leafs fan goes overboard and get in my face ;-).

10-15 years ago I remember many of nights where friends of mine ended up either on Crescent or St. Laurent brawling with mouthy Torontonians after a Leafs/Habs game. The good old days.

• HabFab says:

I’m 20 years older then you… and still get the urge. Not sure if the results would be as well “sigh”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Just like a good enforcer, the piss and vinegar is about five years gone for me. ;-).

• Ron says:

I’m over 10 years older than you HabFab and had to do it as job dictated while on duty. I’m having trouble walking up stairs now. Of course the smoking didn’t help. :D

28. frontenac1 says:

Smoking reduces anxiety and relieves stress. Plus it is cool. Saludos!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m due to start my Zyban a week today front. That’s bad news cuz I’ll have to cut out most of the beverage sipping for a few months too. On top of it all they’re trying to take away fights, The agony! Next it will be sex that’s deemed too dangerous! What is this world coming to?

• Mavid says:

good luck, I am sure you will be successful, I quit 21 years ago..cold turkey..there was no gum, pills, or patches..my hubby quit 4 years ago on his 9th attempt..I am very happy for him its not an easy thing to do.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya it will be my 3rd serious attempt in the last couple years. Damn holidays got me last year with all the time off work, food and booze in the house!

• Eddie says:

I also quit about 8 years now. Used my late father’s trick and it worked like a charm.
          You always give yourself an “out” that tomorrow, if you feel bad, you will smoke, but for today, you will hold firm. Then the next day you say the same thing. Once you get through 2 weeks or so the poison is out of you and it’s all psychological after that.
          It’s the physical addiction you need to get past, and I fooled myself into believing that “tomorrow” I will let myself smoke if I really need it.
          Good luck Hobie, I wish you well.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thanks for the support guys. Glad to see I have some friends around here, even after acting like a jackass on more than a few occasions. :-).

• HabFab says:

Not sure if this helps but I just refused to buy packs anymore and if the urge got too strong that I smoked an OP’s … picked brands that I didn’t like. Took awhile but it worked… cold turkey doesn’t for everyone!

• Ron says:

OP’s are cheap also.

• punkster says:

6 and a half years ago…but you don’t want to quit the way I had to…do it now while you have the chance.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
            but…
            ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Bill says:

My Dad is an MD. He told me, off the record, that 80% of smokers live longer than non-smokers, because they have less stress. He hastened to add that the other 20% of smokers get the Big C or emphysema. But I like those odds.

Plus it is cool, you’re right.

EDIT: But good luck Hobie, I’d quit if I could too.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ok Bill, you have to be joking lol! I can’t imagine such a nice fellow like yourself being against concussions but be promoting wasting all kinds of money on trying get lung cancer?

• Mavid says:

Sorry Bill but I don’t think smoking is good for anything and I doubt that most live longer..both my parents smoked and they are both gone from lung cancer Mom at the ripe old age of 56, Dad was 72..started in his larynx and then moved to his lungs..April 28th 2012 I attended the funeral of my best friend and pal age 54 died of lung cancer..a smoker..
        All you smokers need to quit..good for you Hobie

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Mavid says:

you can quit Bill

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

29. Danno says:

Reposted from previous page…

A great Habs fan and a fine blogger.

Today’s his birthday!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

30. B says:

Desharais’ production numbers were down last season from the season before that, but in what many here describe as a “bad season” for Desharnais, out of 238 NHL centers last season, he actually ranked:

*43rd in points, tied with Bozak ($4.2M this season) and Roy ($4M)

*44th in goals, tied with Kopitar ($6.8M), Krejci ($5.25M), Bergeron ($5M), Lecavalier ($4.5), J.Staal ($6M), Ennis ($2.8125M), Hudler ($4M), Fisher ($4.2M) and Mitchel ($1.1M)

*38th in assists, tied with Galchenyuk ($3.225M), Schenn ($3.11M), Stajan ($3.5M) and Dubinsky ($4.2M)

Last season, Desharnais’ “bad season” cost less than $1M. This season his cost rises to $3.5M. How does his new $3.5M cap hit compare to that of the other NHL production comparable centers this season (as listed above in the brackets)? Not so bad actually.

As for his new salary among all NHL centers, I could only find a list of the top 50 cap hits for a center this season:

At the bottom of the list was Fisher and Bozak at $4.2M. Desharnais is well below that at $3.5M. If anyone has a link to the full list of NHL salaries, I would be interested to know just where Deharnais actually ranks overall in cap hit among all players, forwards and centers this season. I suspect he ranks quite reasonably for a guy who was in the top 45 in production (44th in goals, 38th in assists and 43rd in points) among the 238 NHL centers last season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• crabvader says:

Hey!

Don’t you dare try to drop perspective on our unreasonable heads!

• Ozmodiar says:

I think most people already know about his offensive production.

The problem is that he’s the 3rd best center on the team (soon to be 4th) and he’s signed for 4 more years.

He’s one dimensional, takes up power play time, and gets to play with our best winger. Most of the other players you mention, the “comparables”, bring more to the table than just points – unlike DD.

• B says:

Many here do recognize that he provides above average offensive skills and production while others here frequently claim he is completely useless. I disagree with those who claim that he is completely useless. He actually provides decent production for his cap hit.

While the Habs do have several good centers, I don’t see that as a bad sort of problem. They don’t have a real super star forward or a top notch number one scoring line, but they can send out 3 fairly balanced lines that can score well over the course of a season. At least one of those 3 lines seems to be providing scoring for them in most games and the other team is unable to simply focus on shutting down one player or one line. That strategy enabled them to be a top 5 G/G team in the NHL last season (and a top 6 5-on-5 team). I am more worried about their special teams and my main hope is that they can significantly improve their penalty killing this season (and take less dumb penalties too).

–Go Habs Go!–

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, he’s not completely useless. Those points do come in handy, after all. And depth is a good problem to have.

I think he’d be a better fit on a team that needs help down the middle, like the did Habs 2 years ago (the Flames, for example). I’d prefer if the Habs had a grittier, bigger (not Gerbe), more defensive 3rd line C and push the PP time and scoring wingers to Pleks and Eller. The top 9, while balanced, is just too small.

• Danno says:

CapGeek comparables for David Desharnais’ salary

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• New says:

You could toss in actual minutes as well just for giggles and laughs. Down last 48 game season. If you look at points per minute of ice he was about the same last season as he was the season before that, when he was the toast of the community.

People who are fans of the team forget that they aren’t all that great. The coaches are making good use of the resources they have. When a DD would be good to have they put a DD out there. When there are better choices they try and do that instead.

That is how cum no one in the League would take DD for any of the like paid players you mention and why people trash him. The moment a better choice for the situation comes along DD is in Switzerland.

31. frontenac1 says:

Homecoming weekend in the Limestone City. It’s going to be wild amigos.

32. sheds88 says:

I’ll be the first to admit i get pumped when they drop the gloves. But I watch HOCKEY for HOCKEY, and if there is a fight thats a bonus. If you watch hockey for the fights, try the UFC. It has filled my need for fisticuffs

• habs1992 says:

Never turned the channel when a fight breaks out.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Bill says:

I literally go out for a cigarette every time. Not because fighting appalls me or offends me or anything. Just because I rarely find it interesting, and I know I’ve got a solid four minute break to go have a puff.

The exceptions to that are fights between actual hockey players. Like if Subban gets into a scrap, I don’t leave. I watch the fight through my hands praying, “please don’t break your hand PK!”.

But most fights are goon on goon, completely dull, great time for a smoke!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• NoTinFoilCups says:

It’s the classic Don Cherry “rationale”. Of course everybody watches the fights. But as Boone points out we’d all be glued to the screen if they had a stripper at center ice groping the best player during the intermission. What does it have to do with hockey?

33. Bill says:

“Parros gets green light from doctors?!?”

Oh. Thanks a lot, Outbrain. You suck.

Full Breezer 4 Life

34. Danno says:

A great Habs fan and a fine blogger.

Today’s his birthday!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. pmaraw says:

nice joke, Kenny’s from Kenny vs Spenny, but still funny.

36. secretdragonfly says:

Totally bummed out – was all excited about the Centre Ice free preview; just got off the phone with Cogeco and there are only 2 free days, Oct. 6 and Oct. 20, wth? How did I let myself get talked into switching from Shaw satellite?