Pacioretty, Prust back on the ice at Friday practice

A day after missing practice in Lac Mégantic, Max Pacioretty and Brandon Prust were both back on the ice Friday in Brossard as the Canadiens prepared to face the Philadelphia Flyers Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Pacioretty, who appeared to suffer an upper-body injury during the season-opening 4-3 loss to Toronto on Tuesday, took a “therapy day” Thursday, while Prust missed practice for family reasons.

With George Parros out indefinitely after suffering a concussion in a season-opening fight with the Maple Leafs’ Colton Orr, rookie Michael Bournival and Ryan White took turns playing centre on the fourth line at Friday’s practice between Prust and Travis Moen. Coach Michel Therrien said he will decide Saturday morning which player will get the start at centre against the Flyers.

Therrien also said he met with Parros for the first time since the enforcer suffered a concussion and indicated he is doing well, but is still suffering from headaches.

For Canadiens fans who enjoyed the 24CH show last season, the first episode of the second season will air Saturday night at 6:30 on Canal D and at 10:30 on RDS.

Here’s how the lines looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Prust-White-Bournival-Moen

Diaz-Markov
Gorges-Subban
Tinordi-Bouillon

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Briere ready to put the past behind him, Canadiens.com

The time has come for young Flyers, philadelphiaflyers.com

1. JohninTruro says:

20-25 other teams would have lined up to pay DD 3.5-4m a season last year if we didn’t. He will have a season that is worth the 3.5m we are paying him, I do not suspect this will be a bad contract.

Question!!!

CH24 starts tomorrow night! Stu Cowan says you can see it on CANAL D.?
    What the heck is CANAL D.?
    Will is be on the CBC or English somewhere else? I know it is on RDS

3. Danno says:

Old Mother Hubbard must have been shocked

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

4. JF says:

RDS is reporting that Pacioretty may miss tomorrow’s game. He practiced with his team-mates today but is not 100%. A decision will be made after practice tomorrow.

5. JohnBellyful says:

Somehow we got off the topic of fighting. (Geez, why can’t you guys stay focused?)
    Anyways, I have said, as have others, and again this week, that players who are little more than goons should face increasingly stiffer penalties the more mayhem they commit.
    With my modified proposal, I believe three levels of supplemental disciplinary action should suffice to put an end to the nonsense, to kick in after the third major:

Fourth fighting major: corporal punishment (although they do seem to enjoy that sort of thing)
    Fifth fighting major: capital punishment (might not serve as a general deterrent but, in the majority of cases, should do the trick on an individual basis)
    Sixth fighting major: slap on the wrist (okay, you guys win, we’ll go back to the NHL approach)

PS: joust, bludgeon, clobber, paste, slug, swat, thwack, wallop, whale … Now THOSE are fightin’ words!

6. habs1992 says:

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

7. habs1992 says:

“Grab A partner and start dancing” EA Sports response to fighting. My response, Who wants to Dance with the Devil

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

8. Phil C says:

The NHL is smart. The free centre ice promotion is back and I am liking it a lot. But I don’t want to pay for it because I’m cheap. A dilemma of the first world variety.

6 games tonight though, Maybe I can watch Roy wig out again before the NHL pulls the plug. Or maybe watch the Staals run wild on Detroit, or see what Bobby Ryan can do in his debut. Or watch Winnipeg’s measuring stick game against LA… (crap, I have another dilemma.)

9. Eddie says:

I posted a few days ago that our defence was being over rated here and possibly by our GM as well, and I think it was clear as day against the Leafs that our defence is very suspect going forward.

Cube was never more than a #5 or #6 dman, while Tinordi is learning on the job and got beat badly to the outside, missed his pivots, and was generally ineffective on several shifts. Diaz had his moments, but he can not be used as a penalty kill dman, he’s more of a power play specialist. And Gorges is Gorges – a good dman as a low to mid #4, nothing more.

So where do we go from here?

Those of you who think this issue is simply going away might be in for a cruel awakening over the next few weeks I’m afraid. We simply do not have the “depth” of top quality defencmen required once you get past Subban, and Subban’s talent doesn’t even get him on the penalty kill unit on this team!!

Sorry to be so gloomy for a Friday, but after reading Maritime Ronn’s post about Price I figured I should chime in on the defence. I saw Price make at least 3 saves in the first period that I thought were sure goals, and our defence on all 3 occasions was no where to be found.

We have a goalie who might take a few weeks or months getting used to a new style of goaltending, and a defence that lacks top 4 talent once you get past Subban – who is world class.

If there’s a team looking for a center, shouldn’t we be looking for a defencman?

• krob1000 says:

I think the issue was with the forwrds leaving guys in the slot and allowing forwards to walk in tot he top of the circles……the issue is team defense…not the defensemen themselves. At least that is what I saw the first game. The bobbled puck doesn’t count, the dman accidentally knockig the puck onto Raymonds stick is meaningless, the 5 on 3,etc. I really thought there were times of extreme panic but mainly I found the issues to be forward issues.

• Eddie says:

What did you think of Markov’s skating? As good as you thought in the pre-season?

• krob1000 says:

I didn’t notice him being slow if that si what you mean…I watched the game live from above and other than the turnover he was fine. He was art a stand still in that instane and een Pk woudlhave not caught up from a dead stand still. He has a rough night but I wouldn’t blame it on his knee….had some bad luck and made a couple other poor decisions.

• Eddie says:

Watch his stride on Saturday, and maybe we can discuss more at a later date.

He’s no where near the player he was before the 2 surgeries.

Sorry to say because I am a huge Markov fan.

• krob1000 says:

Re below…he is also way older….find me other similar aged defensemen and they don’t skate like they did either. HEck neither do most forwards…the strength of his game ahs always been his decison making and ability to change a game with a quick transitional pass and/or pp brilliance. I don’t thin those should be affected by his losing a step. He probably needs to learn his limitatiosn beter as he did in preseasona dn in the opener pinch too often for a ugy who no longer is able to recover like he used to. Of course he is not his old self…because he is old…but he is still valuable and once paired witha steady guy like Emelin will be just fine.

• Eddie says:

he’s 34. he’s not that old. he was always an outstanding skater, he is no longer.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I think your analysis is accurate. We need to add a top 4 D man to this group.

24 cups and counting….

• Eddie says:

When Emelin returns he will also be a question mark as he recovers from a terrible injury as well. These injuries are very tricky especially for defencmen who need their knees and the mobility in their knees more than forwards. Pivoting is a huge challenge for defenceman recovering from a knee injury.

• bwoar says:

I agree that our D is mediocre taken as a whole. But management has been OK playing wait-and-see with our prospects, and given that we’re still a few years from contending, I can’t argue. In fact, contending will probably be contingent on a top-4 with Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin, and let’s say Markov, Gorges, and Pateryn rounding out spots 5-7. Iffy, but possible.

So I don’t mind the strategy, as long as we can convert the draft picks to useful players. We’re 50/50 to make the playoffs this year, to my eyes.

Do we trade a centre for a D man? I wouldn’t. I ‘d be trying to get a 1st rounder, or a scoring winger of some kind. The only way I’d go centre for D is if the trade were DD + Gorges for a better D-man. THAT I’d get behind immediately.

“thoroughbred”

• JUST ME says:

I guess after only one game that we can come to those kind of analysis but after the second game you`ll have to go back to the drawing board. I suggest patience…

• Habfan10912 says:

Sadly I think your right Ed. Markov is playing a role he can’t anymore. Diaz is a power play specialist with limitations in his game. Frankie B can’t play in this league any longer. Our only hope is that Tinordi meets the challenge, PK stays healthy and Emelin returns to form quickly. I’ve said it before and its worth repeating. Price will need to bail out his teammates for this team to make a playoff visit.

• Eddie says:

Price did a terrific job in the 1st period keeping us in the game. the first period ended 2-1 for us! and I was shocked.

Tinordi needs time,. he will be excellent in the “years” ahead, but a big body like that (think Chara), takes time to develop.

• Bill says:

You know I completely share your opinion on this Ed. I’m glad you put it so succinctly and clearly, it can’t be pointed out often enough.

This is not against Maritime Ronn, who just made a very fair evaluation of Price, but I didn’t like seeing Price getting blamed for bad defence last year, and I didn’t like seeing the same after the Leafs game.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Repost—HIO SUMMIT TOUR INFORMATION

There are about 160 of us going to the Hall Of Fame Tour at the Bell Center Sat. 10:15am. You already have your tickets!

Bell Center request to me is,– how many of us want to go to the Bell Center Tour for a special price of $6, right after the H of F tour.
    Please let me know who wants to go ASAP, so we can book you in. Anyone can come. Ian

11. frontenac1 says:

@max. Bartenders pleasure today amigo.

12. Danno says:

I don’t want Travis Moen tomorrow night.

I want Travis Moar!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. Habsrule1 says:

I rarely make line-ups but someone actually thought this was decent, besides me….what do the rest of you think?

I’d love to see:
    Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta
    Bourque-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Moen-White-Prust

Perhaps we can interchange the right wingers??

Go Habs Go!!

14. HabFab says:

24CH new season premieres tomorrow. Media got an advance look today;
    BrianWilde – 24CH focus more on behind the scenes. So many great jokes from players. Touching moment with Bournival family. Bergevin’s caring. Awesome TV

15. HabsWin-nipeg says:

Don’t know if this was posted yet, but Galchenyuk takes over as Hockey’s Futures top ranked prospect:

• HabFab says:

Excellent and the Habs also have the #35 and #36 ranked.

• jols101 says:

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. Great to see Gally at 35 and Beaulieu at 36. I guess big, physical, stay at home d-men have a harder time making the list. I thought Tinordi would be in the top 50 somewhere.

• JohninTruro says:

Not sure how Tinordi does not make this list.

• Bill says:

Being a steady #4 defenceman with limited offensive upside isn’t that exciting to the guys making the list, I guess.

Habs fans mainly love Tinordi because he’s humongous. And no-one minded seeing him punch Carter Ashton in the nose either (no, not even me. I make exceptions for Habs on Leafs violence).

But his upside is limited and non-Habs fans don’t care how much we need his size. If you look at the defencemen on that list from 41-50, they all bring an excellent offensive game along with good size and defensive ability.

Full Breezer 4 Life

16. frontenac1 says:

Put DD out with Parros. Good for his mojo. He’ll be dropping his mitts by Christmas.Saludos!

17. Maritime Ronn says:

Is Friday PM a time for a little Carey Price talk?
    :-)

No one really knows how this season will unfold or pan out for Price, yet Habs fans may need to find some great, inner strength PATIENCE for at least the first 20 games and perhaps several more.

Looking at the big or bigger picture, Habs management felt it necessary to bring in a new goalie coach who is considered elite around the NHL – proven by his work with all of Niemi, Crawford, and Emery during his 10 year/2 Stanley Cup win career there.
    If Habs management was convinced Price was on the right track, that change would not have transpired.

Stephan Waite is known as a hybrid style of coach that prefers his goalies to be less butterfly robotic ,and more stand up, instinct oriented and shooter challenging.

IF, and a big IF… Price buys into the Waite teachings, he may have to take a step backwards, before he will be able to take a few, or many steps forward – hence, the call for Patience.

While 1 game does not make a season, and while Price made some great early (lucky?) saves in Game 1, can anyone honestly state that he looked comfortable?
    – That he looked to have supreme confidence?
    – That he had control of the situation?
    – That you did not cringe almost every time a shot was directed at him?

There are many knowedgeable folks in the NHL hockey world that consider Carey Price as a ‘potential’ elite NHL goaltender with all the physical tools necessary.
    While Price was ‘lights out’ in junior, and when he basically singularly willed Hamilton to a Calder Cup in 2007, his 6 year NHL career to date has been underwhelming at best.

These are the performance stats:
    Beside his rookie year when there was no book or tape on Price, and he won 1 playoff series, his best over average, non subpar year was 2010-2011.

During that same season , Price posted a .923 SP (6th) and a 2.35 GAA (9th) along with 38 wins (1st) playing a work horse 72 games.
    Absolutely great numbers all the way around!

Price’s playoff numbers were also excellent…yet a closer look at that 1st round loss to Boston that eventually won the Cup that year, points to some Red Flags as to the ability to win the Big Game and make the Big Saves at the right time.

The Habs were leading that Series 2-1 with Game 4 at home.
    Result?
    OT Home loss.
    Game 5 at Boston?
    Another OT loss.
    Then a Game 6 win.
    Then another Game 7 loss in OT.

That made 3 OT losses in the 4 last games of the Series, where 3 of the 4 games went to OT.

And yes, the excuses are legion.
    Bad team, bad defense, no luck…yet the bottom line was that the opposing goalie made numerous, pressure packed saves that could and should have been goals.
    Our guy did not.

Can Price get to that mental toughness and physical performance level moving forward?
    We shall see- Patience.

• krob1000 says:

How long is the Price remodellin period? does it run concurrently with the gellin period?

• von says:

Wasn’t that game 7 the same loss where Gionta hit the post and the Bruins scored on their following chance? Some guys convert on their opportunities while others miss.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• bwoar says:

Regarding his Game 1 performance:
      The Leafs could’ve scored 4 goals in the first period alone if Carey hadn’t brought his A game. He completely kept his team in during the early stages and they did very little to reward him afterwards. Instead they allowed breakaways and point blank chances galore. He made at least 3 spectacular saves and stopped a half-dozen golden chances.

I’m not on the Price bandwagon, but he played quite well and got very little help in the defensive OR scored department. He was our best penalty killer in a game where we went to the box early and often.

I DID cringe at every puck shot his way – but he answered pretty well. He didn’t steal the game, but kept his team in it and gave them confidence when they needed it most. What more can I realistically ask for? I thought he played well.

“thoroughbred”

• zephyr says:

if anderson had played like that, we’d have beaten Ottawa.

• bwoar says:

I’m not asking for Price to play consistently like Anderson did in the playoffs against us. One goalie a generation might be able to attain that. I’m saying his play was plenty good enough for his team to win vs. the Leafs – except only half of them showed up, and for half the game only. We’ll lose 95% of games regardless of our goaltender under that condition.

“thoroughbred”

• Danno says:

The game changer was not having Pacioretty for that series because Charra almost killed him. If we had Pacioretty, no doubt in my mind we would have won that series by taking at least one of the three OT games.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Supersonic says:

The oppossing goalie was the best goalie in the nhl. Thomas did win the conn smythe and his numbers where record setting I believe. Plus, the habs did not score a 5 on 5 goal in the last 2 games

• JF says:

Agree with most of what you say here. But while Price may not have looked comfortable against the Leafs, I thought some of the saves he made were absolutely brilliant and ample proof that he has the physical tools to be elite. On the other hand, the first Leafs goal was a bit questionable, and neither Phaneuf’s shot nor the short-handed goal was unstoppable.

My impression is that Price tends to rely too much on positioning and the technical aspects of goaltending, not enough on pure reaction. This is why he’ll make any save look easy when he is in the right position but has trouble when the save calls for split-second adjustments because the puck took a funny bounce or was very slightly deflected. I think that’s why we lost all those OT games against the Bruins. I’m glad to see Stefane Waite encouraging him not to go down so soon and to be more aggressive. I think these changes will help.

But I agree it’s going to take time. Any athlete who makes changes to the way he plays, whatever the sport, is going to go through an adjustment period. Take our own Milos Raonic in tennis as an example. He switched coaches early in the year and began working on playing a more aggressive brand of tennis. But it’s taken him months to really incorporate the changes the new coach was making in his game. He’s now playing very well and winning much more often. I expect that the process will be similar for Price, though I hope the adjustment period is shorter in his case.

18. zephyr says:

dd is a very creative player with great vision & i’m surprised at how he’s able to do so well along the boards considering his size. I think he’d be better off with bourque as his rw tho.. that’d add some size to what seems to be our #1 line & it’d open him up some space. i’d also like to see the habs dmen give the puck to galchenyuk more often exiting their zone. they almost never do & he’s often dynamite when he has it.
    the make beliefs got some very lucky bounces & gratuitous (read totally incompetent) officiating or it’d have been a diff result & we’d all be much happier. markov isn’t gonna fall like that if he does it another 1000 times & no leaf winger is gonna bounce a puck off our dman’s skate right back to himself for a gift if they try it the rest of their careers. give our boys some time. this team will do well.

Am I the only one thinking I need to get socks like Gallagher’s?

20. Habilis says:

Reading through the posts today, it’s pretty plain that a lot of us think this is a better hockey team if you simply remove DD from the equation. Count me among that group. He’s not a bad hockey player, in fact I think that in the right situation, he would thrive as a second line center (Edmonton comes to mind). The problem is that we have at least 4 players who play center and are superior hockey players (Eller, Plek, Chucky, Briere). DD is the type of player who cannot move to the wing and be effective, at least not more effective than anyone in else our top 12.

If it’s this obvious to us, how obvious must it be to a professional GM and coach who have spent their entire adult lives watching or playing elite level hockey? They have to know.

Right?

21. JohnBellyful says:

@ Punkster — re: UCE’s use of dudgeon. It’s one of five fossil words featured this week at http://wordsmith.org/words/petard.html.
    You can add the other four to your caboodle of words to use in future posts.

22. The Dude says:

I wonder if the Bell Arena’s ice recovered from the SmAcK DoWn George Parros gave it?….George Parros is fine.

• Timo says:

Pardon me if I don’t trust Michael Therrien’s medical opinion. He ain’t no Dr. Recchi.

• gmur says:

He’s actually lucky just to have suffered a concussion. Similar plays have resulted in some terrible injuries. The Kevin Stevens/Rich Pilon incident comes to mind. I was watching that game… one of the more stomach-turning videos you’ll see when you realize the extent of Steven’s facial injuries.

If Orr had fallen a bit faster and swung down harder on Parros’s jersey, it could have been the end of a career.

23. B says:

Among NHL centres, Desharnais ranks higher in production than he does in cap hit.

–Go Habs Go!–

24. HFL says:

I think DD gets more ice time then Eller for 3 reasons.
    1) They want to keep Eller’s ice time and PP minimal so they can sign him for less then he deserves next season.
    2) They want Eller to develop with the young guys (2 Gallys)
    3) They want to increse DD’s production.

I am certain that MB plan is to not sign plek gionta and possibly Bourrque, once their ontract runs out. That way they can move Eller into an number one C, then galchenyuck can become number two and DD can be number 3.

25. HabFab says:

Maple Leafs have had to put Fraser on the LTIR. He should not have taken his visor off in his fight with Moen. Apparently he had a similar injury to Emelin last season and had a plate put around his eye… they are not confirming this was re-injured… but DUMB move kid!!

EDIT; just found that he is out with a knee injury sustained in the Philly game. The Dumb comment remains!

26. Say Ash says:

MAB with 4 points in 7 games with Zurich, and +5

27. JUST ME says:

Maybe it has been posted before today but i just learned that Sid the kid had his 666 th career point yesterday against….the Devils of course…
    Thought you`d like to know…

28. HabFab says:

Here are the 4 PTO’s still left at the Bulldogs camp.

Nathan McIver D / 6-2 / 195
    Maxime Macenauer C / 6-0 / 200
    Erik Nystrom LW / 5’11 / 180
    Akim Aliu RW / 6-4 / 225

• Cardiac says:

“Early in the 2005–06 OHL season, his first in the league, Aliu was involved in an incident with Steve Downie during practice after the latter player cross-checked him in the face, knocking out three teeth. After leaving for treatment, Aliu returned to the ice and fought Downie. The incident stemmed primarily from Aliu’s refusal to participate in a hazing ritual that would have forced him and the other rookies to stand naked in a cramped bus washroom.”

Gotta love Wikipedia…

– Jerry Maguire

29. HabFab says:

Szymon Szemberg

Had #Habs Latendresse come to Europe 2006 he would have been an NHLer today. But he was brought up too early and debuts for Zurich today.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

You should check out Hot pictures of Elisha Cuthbert, Wife of NHL Star Dion Phaneuf.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Cardiac says:

Ahhh, Sloppy Seconds Cuthbert. I know people who went to high school with her… Kinda ironic she married a Leaf.

– Jerry Maguire

30. savethepuck says:

This is the second article I’ve seen on here saying that Pacioretti appeared to suffer an upper body injury Tuesday night. CBC clearly showed him returning from the dressing room with his wrist taped up before he put on his glove, so why don’t they just say he appeared to injure his wrist?
    I can see the team just classifying it as an upper body injury but don’t know why it is being reported as such.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

31. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Consider this …

Perhaps the reason DD gets the PP time he does (when everyone is clamoring for Eller) may be the need to have a smaller “wheel” man with the puck in tight.

Plekanec is the primary, take a close look at how the two of them operate – given that the pp time for forwards is essentially a mix of the non Eller/4th lines, it may be revealing.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• John Q Public says:

Could it be simple economics.
      Top 6 are paid more than bottom 6.

• 123456 says:

And other factors like who will be used when the PP is over? I’m not saying I totally buy in but maybe in a relative way DD is better on the PP than 5 on 5 as compared to Eller. Also, only a couple forwards had more points than DD last season so lets not bash so quickly.

32. Luke says:

People keep saying that:

“It was just ONE game”

Yah well,

It was just ONE ring and look at all the trouble that caused!

33. Mattyleg says:

Gomez on track for 82 goals this year.

Never should have got rid of him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• gmur says:

Bring back Grabovski too…

Too bad the BlueJackets didn’t get Grabovski… There would have been the potential of a goal ‘Scored by Grabovski, assisted by BOBROVSKY…’ sorry, it’s friday…

34. Say Ash says:

Will RDS be broadcasting Ian’s Summit? That, I would watch.

35. Bill says:

There has to be another reason Therrien gives DD so much ice time and top wingers.

There’s no way it is favouritism or about language or being his “pet”. That just makes no sense to me.

I admit I’m not really clear what that reason is. He’s a good playmaker, otherwise a bit of a liability. But that’s just what I see, and I hasten to point out that I am not an NHL coach. So probably I just don’t see what a coach sees.

Must be a reason.

• Propwash says:

Because he has proven to be an effective points getter. I think they’re trying to get that kind of production out of him again.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Mattyleg says:

Maybe DD just keeps jumping on the ice whenever he wants, and even though Therrien gets angry, DD does the “We Represent the Lollipop Guild” dance in the locker-room, and Therrien says,
      “Oh Davey, I could never be mad at YOU!!”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Blade says:

I agree, Bill. There has to be a reason. Probably something to do with 2011-12 he posted 60 points in 82 games and was +10. Then had a bad 2012-13 in the 48 game schedule. Perhaps they want to give him a clean slate and see if he regains form. He did not look good against the Leafs but you can’t just base it on one game this year. He is getting killed on this website, most of it justified, but I do think he deserves a chance. How long of a chance? Like you, I am no coach, so I don’t know.

• Phil C says:

Here’s my take. Therrien tends to roll all four lines 5-on-5. In this sense, there is no first or 4th line, the ice time is comparable. Despite all the fuss here, DD and Eller’s even strength ice time was within one shift of each other last year with DD averaging 13:27 at ES, and Eller at 12:39. Plekanec averaged 14:08 I think because he also is given the tough defensive matchups.

Pleks is first wave PK and second wave PP, so he ends up with the most TOI when combined with his ES time. DD is not the greatest penalty killer, but is strong offensively, so he gets 1st wave PP duty while Eller gets the PK duty. Team effort, spread around the responsibility.

This will result in Pleks getting the most TOI almost every night. and the TOI bewteen Eller and DD will be determined by special teams. On Tuesday, the ES ice time between DD and Eller was within 25 seconds over the entire game. The difference was DD had 3 minutes of PP time, while Eller only had a 1.5 minutes of PP time.

Eller will have to take DD’s spot on the first wave of the PP for the TOI numbers to change.

36. Buzz Lightbeer says:

In completely unrelated news i came home last night and a black bear was sleeping on my front step,and when i got up this morning a mountain lion was eating a neighbors cat in my backyard. bloody zoo around here. Neither of them can play center. Confirmed.

37. Mick says:

You really can’t fix stupid.
    If after 5 games DD is still Therrien’s pet and his #1 center.
    Therrrien, would then have to be considered stupid or we have a French born son, who is the manager and coaches favorite.
    We know we can’t fix stupid.
    Can we fix the other problem?

38. sweetmad says:

I have just read the last thread,end to end,
    My sides hurting so much ,I cannot bend,
    All the posts against and for,
    My poor cheeks can’t take anymore.

Reading what people say,
    With so much respect just makes my day,
    It’s not just fighting,or PR’s eruption,
    From one thread to the next with no disruption.

Matty with respect,called some one out,
    Chris called out Matty, but there was no bout.
    Someone said the US was to blame,
    They must have crossed the border, to watch the first game.

Should the kids get more time or less,
    How did we get in such a mess,
    The coach is the worst or as good as it gets,
    Who wins that debate,I am ready to take bets.

One game in and our season is done,
    Or else this season could be really fun,
    One player gets too much pay,
    Another not enough they say,

So it goes with 81 more games,
    I hope nobody resorts to calling names,
    But there is one thing we all know for sure,
    We couldn’t love our HABS anymore.
    GO HABS GO

39. habs001 says:

Concern also has to be Markov…he was very good on the pp for 75% of the season than he faded at the end of the season and playoffs..his 5 on 5 play was average at best all year…While too early to judge this year he did not look great vs the Leafs…Add in Cube who is too old and Gorges who may never reach his best level again do to wear and tear….Diaz can make offensive moves but he is very average in his zone….Somehow i think 3/4 goals scored by the opposition will be common this year making Price stats be in the high teens to twenties vs other goalies…

40. Propwash says:

Just to clarify, what are the dates for the summit?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

41. Hstands4Hockey says:

I’m headed to the Sabres/Senators game in Buffalo tonight. Not sure who to cheer for, but I’m really hoping Scott and Kassian beat the snot out of each other.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

42. krob1000 says:

@ maritime..maybe this site is wrong..weird such a big discrepancy

43. mark-ID says:

Although we lost on Tuesday, we definately held our own and then some against the Leafs physically. That is very encouraging, especially come playoff time. Unfortunately we have some big boys who are injured right now, but if we are lucky, our lineup could look like this in November.

Pacioretty Pleks Gionta
    Chucky Eller Gally
    Prust Briere Bourque
    Parros Bourinival Moen

Gorges PK
    Markov Emelin
    Murray Tinordi

Nobody would push this team around. I just hope at some point we can see this lineup in action. I am not a DD hater, but in reality we already one too many small guys. Come playoffs, we will need to have a more physical team, as Ottawa proved to us last year. Best part is, all these guys already belong to us.

• Chris says:

Being pushed around vs. being skated around…

Is there a third option? :)

• mark-ID says:

haha, true enough. But this team still has speed. In fact Bournival could very well be the fastest on the team. Defense isn’t the most mobile…but it is as tough and solid as they come.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I like those forward lines. I would just make one minor tweak: swap Galchenyuk and Bourque. I’d love to see Danny and Chucky together. Plus, they can alternate positions some times to give Chucky time at center.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

44. Luke says:

I just thought of how lonely it might be in here when all you guys are at the summit.

45. sCOTT1243 says:

Need to throw this out there….

Pacioretty seems to be getting injured more than I’d like to see. Does he have china doll syndrome? Is he worth a long term investment?

Don’t get me wrong, this is not a hate on for Patches, but seems like he is now consistently getting injured. Let’s just say I wouldn’t be crying in my beer if we let him go.

Thoughts?

• krob1000 says:

I think he has NHLer syndrome…who doesn’t get injured anymore?

• Luke says:

Whatever the opposite of a China Doll is. He takes an absolute pounding and is back out there the next shift. Dude is tough as nails and misses very little time for injuries that often require weeks on the sideline (even his appendix surgery).

Hence, the Wolverine nickname.

• Fransaskois says:

I’ve been disappointed in Pacioretty over the last season and a bit ….. it’s not because of injuries.

• Phil C says:

Jeez, you’re tough, he has been their top scorer the last two years. Not bad for a 2nd round pick out of the US college system.

• Caesar says:

dissappointed ? Pacioretty made his NHL debut with the Montreal Canadiens on January 2, 2009, scoring his first NHL goal on his first NHL shot in a 4-1 loss against the New Jersey Devils.Out of his draft year if we re-ordered the selection he would would probably be selected top 10 and maybe even in the first 5-10 players. Only Perron and Subban were drafted lower than him that would be picked higher right now and I am not 100% sold on Perron being better than Patches. We have very high expectations for him but they are not based on any past performance only what we think he should be.

• NightRyder says:

Sometimes when you have played a game all your life, and for most of that time, you’ve been much bigger and stronger than everyone else, you develop some bad habits (see: Lindros, Eric).
      When you get to the best league in the world and try to play the same way against people of similar or greater size and strength, you’re not properly conditioned to protect yourself.
      Sometimes, however, injuries are just bad luck. He’s only missed seven games in his last two seasons. That’s not an overwhelming amount.
      Plus, in a league where 230-pound humans are crashing into each other at 30 mph 82 nights a year, you’re going to get dinged up.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

I don’t drink, but I would come cry in your beer if the Habs let him go.

• Phil C says:

I think he plays the game at high speed with little fear. That tends to lead to injuries.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

He’s young big, strong and scores. How could their be any silver lining to getting rid of him?

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

46. Habsrule1 says:

The hate for DD is unmerited. He had an awesome season 2 years ago…and not only because of his linemates. I bet if you ask them, DD drove the line a lot of the time. Last season was not good, for him, and for many others.
    This season? Well, he’s played a whole game. I guess we should be able to judge his play by now, right?
    Let’s see how the season goes, then jump all over him for having 1 and a half bad seasons and put him on waivers, trade him for a bag of pucks…whatever.

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

It isn’t hate for Dd as much as empathy for Eller/Galchenyuk and respect for Plekanec.
      I say keep them all for now but distribute the grit more evenly among the lines…but next year you have issues

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, I definitely see that point. Play them on merit. There’s no doubt in my mind that Eller should be on the ice a lot more than DD right now. If they could turn DD into a decent 3rd line centre and play him accordingly, that would be the best bet. With the right linemates, that could probably work.
        And again, I have no love for DD. If you make the team better by trading him, do it.

Go Habs Go!!

• NightRyder says:

I feel the same way about DD as I did Gomez. I’ll always pull for him, as long as he as the CH on his chest. The minute the game’s over, I want him gone.

• Habfan10912 says:

Your avatar always makes me smile. Who would argue with such a face? I’ll support DD as long as he’s wearing the sweater but there gave been too many nights where his ice time has not been deserved. Tuesday was another example especially the way Eller was playing.

• Habsrule1 says:

If you’re talking about my avatar (my boy), I appreciate that! He’s a good kid and so far he’s listening to me more than the sens fans he comes across living just outside Ottawa. Hope that continues cause I’d hate to have to put him up for adoption, being so cute and all ;-)

Go Habs Go!!

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I totally agree with your opening premise. But the Habs have, and have had since acquiring Gionta/Cammalleri/Gomez, an imbalance problem up front. The signing of Briere exacerbated that. We need more Prusts spread across the lines. Maybe that is to come. But right now, I believe MB needs to choose between Davey and Danny.
      Personally, I’m not sure which I’d take. Likely DD due to youth.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

47. NightRyder says:

My argument for keeping fighting in the game is simple – I enjoy watching the scraps.

Deep, I know.

48. punkster says:

Uce posted something at 10:45 this morning that caught my attention…well, his posts usually do, but this one struck a chord with me.

First and most importantly, it was his use of the term “high dudgeon”… something I haven’t heard or read in years…I’m doing a search and believe it was likely from some adventure novel I read as a kid….maybe Norm can direct me to a likely source(s).

Second, the overall point of his comment seems to have been obscured by yet another series of reactions by those who either pro fighting or claim to be “tired” of the subject.

In my view the subject won’t go away, these NHL hired goons will continue to purposely injure players, they will continue to stage useless fights, and they will continue to exist as long as the PA, the league and the fans do nothing to stop them.

In the mean time I hope we will all, on both sides of the discussion, continue to voice our opinions, pro and con, without being marginalized, maligned, insulted or labelled.

I said it yesterday: I don’t like fighting and I don’t like employing no talent goons but I won’t insult you if you do…and I won’t back down on an issue I think is important.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

49. krob1000 says:

JohnLuTSNMtl: Parros “Looks really good”, says #Habs Therrien, after seeing the injured forward when he visited his teammates at Brossard today.

50. Gerry H says:

So, here we go. Year 2 of the Bergevin era starts with another loss to the Leafs. If last year taught us anything, it was that coughing up two points to the Buds is hardly a harbinger of doom.

A lot of the focus during the off-season was on how the Habs toughened up a notch with the acquisitions of Parros and Murray. Fair enough. And don’t get me wrong, I like George Parros. How can you not like an “enforcer” who is also a Princeton economics grad and was once voted the fourth smartest athlete in pro sports by Sporting World? No Big Bobby Clobber, our George.
    It now appears that both bruisers will be non-factors in the early going. Godspeed and a quick recovery to both.

But the Bergevin brand of team building doesn’t center on truculence. It’s about skill, speed and, above all, hustle and teamwork. So forgive me if I came into this season a little more focused on whether Price and DD were gonna have bounce-back years, whether Galchenyuk and Gallagher would avoid the sophomore jinx, how Briere would fit in, whether Markov would play himself into an extension and whether Pacioretty and Eller would continue their steady development toward potentially elite status.

The answers to those questions will start to make themselves evident as we approach Christmas. Meanwhile, we have a promising group of prospects in Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival, McCarron, Collberg and so on that have absolutely killed my interest in the trade market. When I contrast the Habs’ situation to that of the Leafs in terms of development prospects, it’s hard not to feel confident about the future.

For the time being, 81 games to go and a sense that they’re in the thick of it. I like my odds of still being fully engaged in NHL hockey in May 2014. Maybe more importantly, with three solid scoring lines and a highly competent fourth line, coupled with a dynamic-if-potentially-wobbly defense, I feel confident that those 81 games are going to be well worth watching.

51. Pat8987 says:

Thought of a great trade for both teams…

To Mtl: R. Smyth

To Edm: Desharnais + 500k retained per year over the next 3 years.

Edmonton get much needed help at center + Montreal gets rid of that terrible contract and adds some size for the third line

Patches – Eller – Gallagher
    Bourque – Pleks – Gionta
    Galchenyuk – Briere – Smyth
    Moen – White – Prust

• Hstands4Hockey says:

No chance Edmonton trades Ryan Smyth. He would likely retire if they did, given he cited family reasons as his many motive for returning to Edmonton.

I don’t think DD is so bad we’d have to retain salary in a trade. I do however think that Edmonton is a team that might bite on DD given their lack of any scoring at centre, but last I heard they were actively trying to “beef up” to protect their young guys.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Fransaskois says:

I’m not sure the last time you watched Smyth… If it weren’t for his leadership and experience, he likely wouldn’t be in the NHL IMO.

• otisfxu says:

I love these emails – if Edmonton will get so much needed help with DD,,,,,then why wouldn’t we keep him,,,,,,or what I am really saying is,,,who in the F would want DD,,,,,,,,,not everyone is as numb as MB

52. Fransaskois says:

It bothers me that we don’t have any 1st line players (apart from Pacioretty) or difference makers offensively. It feels as if we’re a team full of complimentary players. In addition, it bothers me that all of our defenceman are so one-dimensional. We have no one but PK that can be depended on to provide responsible offensive and defensive output.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere <– 1st-3rd-2nd
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta <– 3rd-2nd-3rd
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher <– 2nd-2nd-2nd
    Moen-White-Prust <– 4th-4th-3rd
    (Bournival-Leblanc-Thomas) <– (4th-3rd-3rd)

Gorges-Subban <– #3-#1
    Markov-Diaz <– #4-#5
    Bouillon-Tinordi <– #7-#6
    (Beaulieu-Emelin) <– (#6-#4)

These are the positions I would expect our roster players to fill on a playoff team (1st/2nd/3rd/4th lines and #1/#2/#3/etc. defenceman).

• christophor says:

Either a good deal of Habs fans are accidentally looking up stats and clips for Stephen Gionta or those fans are clueless.

Brian Gionta a 3rd liner, right.

• Luke says:

Oh ya, if you average only 25 goals a year, it’s 3rd line for you.

• Fransaskois says:

At this stage in his career, I think he’s better suited to playing on the 3rd line. Personally, I’d like him to be able to last the entire year with the Habs. He’s got real injury concerns, he’s slowing down, and his offensive ability isn’t what it used to be. He’s not a bad player, I just think he should be used in a situation where he’ll succeed… Lots of defensive responsibility and some protected minutes offensively.

• Habsrule1 says:

Gionta is still easily a 2nd line guy. Look at his stats before the injury. He was still averaging 25 goals.
          I’d love to see:
          Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
          Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta
          Bourque-Desharnais-Gallagher
          Moen-White-Prust

Perhaps you switch the right wingers around a little?

Go Habs Go!!

• FishOutOfWater says:

this is a growing lineup. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A REBUILD.

Fruits of your labour dont show after the next day.
      We have roots, we have guys that will blossom. just takes time. and love

53. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Mr_MacDougall

On the previous thread you mentioned the following:

Mr_MacDougall says: October 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    DD had less NHL experience (than PK Subban) and is a less valuable player and gets twice the term and 33% MORE PAY…
    ———-
    With all the different nuances of Cap Hit and actual Salary paid(or “Pay” as you mention), sometimes things can get complicated, yet that statement concerning pay is not factually correct.

PK will be paid more than Desharnais this year.

Subban Salary……: 2013/14: $3.750M
    Desharnais Salary: 2013/14: $3.50M

While Subban’s Cap Hit is actually lower that Desharnais this final year, ($2.875M vs.$3,5M) Subban’s contract was structured to maximize his earnings during a full season.

In the 2012/13, and because of the lockout, players were only paid at a rate of 58.5% of their Salary as that represented the 48 games of a normal 82 game schedule.

PK Salary: 12/13. $2M
    PK Salary: 13/14. $3.75M

Hope that clarifies a few things.

54. habfanacrossthed says:

This is a response to Maritime Ron in the other thread. We need to move Galchenyuk to Center. It blows my mind how you do not have him playing his natural position yet, Patty Roy is playing Mackinnon at his natural center position. This guy truly understands it. Another reason as to why i wanted him HC of the Canadiens.
    Desharnais is a weak link defensively, and definetly winning face offs. It’s time to move Galchenyuk to center on the second line. Move Davy to winger where he should play. MB needs defense Markov and Diaz is such a terrible pairing. Subban should also be on the penatly kill!!! Not Diaz and Markov. How can MT not see this?

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

55. Luke says:

Hey! Everyone, stop for a second.

Look who’s on the Bulldog’s roster:

19 Akim Aliu RW R 6-4 225 Apr 24, 1989 Okene, Nigeria

When did that happen?

Big, tough, unstable, decent offense in junior. MOAR BIGGAR!

Is he on loan to Hamilton but still property of the Flames?

Weird.

Hmmm, seems UCe already covered this…

• Fransaskois says:

I’m excited for him. He’s got a really interesting back story with lots of physical skill and potential. Hopefully he gets a chance to get back on track in Hamilton.

• von says:

I saw him play in the Bulldogs first exhibition game in Oakville. He was one of their best players. Good luck to him.

_________________________________

• B says:

Chicago drafted him. Along with Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager and Brent Sopel, he was traded from Chicago to Atlanta for Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb, Jeremy Morin and 2 picks. After lending him to Calgary, Atlanta finally traded him to Calgary for John Negrin. After playing 5 games for Calgary and the remainder with their AHL team in Abbotsford last season, Calgary decided not to offer him a contract. He then signed a PTO with the Bulldogs.

–Go Habs Go!–

• vegas says:

wiki has him as a free agent released from Calgary. So if he is playing with Hamilton, did MOntreal offer him a contract?

• Maritime Ronn says:

Akim Alui is not one of the 50 under contract by the Habs.

56. D Mex says:

Just watched the short video on the Habs practice in Lac Mégantic. Seeing the impact this franchise has with its loyal followers – still – is powerful stuff.
    My sense is that the organization makes a point of impressing this upon each and every player who has the honour of wearing the CH, and I want to believe they ‘ get ‘ it.
    I got to see Béliveau, Richard, Harper, Rousseau, Vachon, Lemaire and others play at the old Forum, and remember what that meant.
    Molson is sitting on a goldmine – and I want to believe he gets it, too, because it’s so impactful. Wow.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

57. krob1000 says:

3 minutes ago
    JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Parros is suffering from (minor) headaches associated with his concussion, according to Therrien.

58. Stuck_in_To. says:

Fighting … I don’t enjoy it but don’t really care if Orr and Parros beat each other black and blue. What I strongly object to is the Orr types careening around the ice with the sole objective of hitting as hard as he can a skilled player, and the fact that he’ll throw borderline and over the line hits to be “effective”. That is the real travesty of many enforcers and the ubiquitous agitators of the Cooke mold. And having an enforcer to pummel either cretin is no deterrent or overly helpful when your skilled guy has to leave the ice. Nobody wins an arms race.

• aroma says:

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, the NHL string-pullers are completely bottom line driven and the sad reality is that hockey violence sells tickets. Far too many fans who populate US rinks are also roller derby afficianados who love the sight of an opposing player being driven head first into the boards or pummelled with bare fists. This mentality is what’s deeply hurting the league and its players.

59. B says:

The remaining 24 players on the Bulldogs roster:

–Go Habs Go!–

60. Fansincebirth says:

I’ve watched hockey for a long time and fighting has always been a part of it. In le good old days, it was always about toughness, tough guys righting wrongs. Today’s staged fights are garbage and have no place in hockey. Hockey has always been a dangerous sport but it is more so today and the number of lackies going after skilled players is out of control.

The head office has to clean the game up, start handing out lengthy suspensions that hit players and owners where it hurts, in the wallet. Maybe then we can have the game back to where it should be.

61. jedimyrmidon says:

This was Dreger on Hockey Insiders:

Q: There’s early trade talk with Anaheim?

Dreger – Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray is looking for a defenceman and its believed Toronto, Pittsburgh and maybe Philadelphia are involved. They want a young defenceman and may give up a young forward in return.

Wow, talk about saying nothing of value. Always hedging his vague statements.

62. von says:

Shouldn’t this be titled “Pacioretty, Prust back on the ice at Friday practice”?

Good to hear that Patches is back. I wonder how hurt he really is. I thought he would have been out a few weeks at least after taking that hit from Orr.
    _________________________________

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Looked like a sprained right (shooting) wrist to me. Likely they x-ray-ed it in the intermission and it came back negative. Probably has some swelling and soreness that will hurt the zip on his shot.

He’ll play but I expect him to be rather useless for a week or so.

Sincerely, Captain Speculation

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

63. B says:

Stubbs Tweets:

Congratulations to all with #Habs, @evenko whose several initiatives raised roughly $800,000 for Lac-Mégantic relief efforts

–Go Habs Go!–

64. Mr_MacDougall says:

Addition by subtraction.. this team would be better if DD had a season ending injury, or was simply cut or traded. No more ice time based on a terrible contract MB is desperately making MT try to justify.

• christophor says:

one

game

• habs1992 says:

sadly your right, the guy is awful. But somehow is worth 3.5 million year. SIGH……………………..

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Perhaps another way to look at this.
      The contract is what it is.
      We cannot dial that back or rewind the tape.

If you want Desharnais traded so badly, you would probably want the best value possible coming back.
      Agreed?
      How do the Habs get the best value coming back?
      By having Desharnais perform more like he did in 20011/12 than last year.

How’s that for a compromise? (from one that firmly believes that Davy should not be a Top 6)

By the way, as for his contract, even if he was playing 3rd line minutes against the opponent’s 2nd and 3rd pairing Dmen, the Cap Hit or salary would not be out of line vs. other 3rd line centers.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Okay, so in order to recoup from a terrible signing, force him into top line minutes in hopes that he can be traded, understandable, but not merit based TOI.

As for his contract vs 3rd line C’s… he would also is an awful choice for 3rd C.. he cant win puck battles (essential for 3rd line) is terrible defensively and on faceoffs… he is small… not good enough for top 6, not suitable for bottom 6..

If he was gone, Briere back to C, Plek 3rd line and PK duty.. EGG line as 2nd. that is a better team IMO.

• Maritime Ronn says:

First off, I never mentioned that it was a terrible – at the time, it was not…nor was it mentioned from here that he should be playing 1st line minutes.

I am on record, rightly or wrong, that Mr. Desharnais will never be a Top 6 on a very serious Stanley Cup team or during Playoff hockey where the Rule Book is quite different.

One just has to look at the Cup winning teams of the recent past and look at who occupied Top C positions such as Toews-Kopitar-Richards-Carter-Krejci-Bergeron-Crosby-Malkin-Datsyuk…

65. SteverenO says:

repost froml ast thread:

Until recently I was a fan of hockey fights, I really enjoyed the occasional brawl, when all ten skaters, and sometimes the goalies, would drop their gloves and square off.

I heard someone on the radio say something which made me change my mind. How can the NHL justify a mandatory helmet rule (supposedly to protect the players) while still allowing players to bare-knuckle punch each other in the head?

Upon further reflection, I would prefer that they go back to helmets being optional and keep the fighting in the game. But making helmets mandatory and “condoning” fighting makes absolutely no sense at all.

Without helmets I believe there would fewer injuries, players would go back to keeping their sticks on the ice. A player without a helmet would think twice before crashing full speed into an opponent next to the boards.

Also can you imagine if you had NOT seen Lafleur’ hair flying behind him when he skated full speed down the wing?

Today’s game all the players look pretty much the same, were it not for large screen TVs and High Definition it would be nearly impossible to identify a player without help from the announcer (who quite often call the wrong names, anyway).

Looking forward to a great season with many ups and downs.
    I predict, or at least I hope that Therrien will be replaced at or before the season ends. The sad part is that he is not a BAD coach, he just does not get enough support , in terms of receiving the necessary information,to make the right decisions when it comes to utilizing his available resources (personnel) for maximum effectiveness and productivity.

In that regard he is not alone.many of the so called “best ” coaches in the league are also making decisions (when allocating ice time, especially on special teams) that are contrary to their teams best interest.

regards,

Steve O.

• Phil C says:

Mandatory visors makes fighting even more of a joke.

• habs1992 says:

Im not a doctor but helmets are great for fighting beacause it protects the back of the head which is the most dangerous and deadly part of your head, that can do significant damage. Obviously people are going to say no punch in the head is good for you, but not exercising isnt good for you either.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Helmets or bare knuckle punches are not the issue with player safety (blow to the front of the head are not all that damaging to the brain, temple blows, and back of the head cause significant damage)..

It is a combination of money, roster sizes, and ‘during the play’ line changes that make the game dangerous. Given changes on the fly, players play wide open for short bursts, not conserving energy because they simply change.. ‘finishing’ every hit (which actually means hit late) is another negative.. it is not only unnecessary, it consumes a ton of energy.

The difference in pay and lifestyle between AHL and NHL is enough to motivate players to do ridiculous things, maiming the opponent,.. hundreds of thousands of dollars for those on 2-way deals.

If rosters were reduced by 2-3 players, changes on the fly eliminated (which negatively impacts the flow of the game anyway) along with the league minimum salary eliminated the game would be much more safe. Players would be conserving energy, fatigue would lead to mistakes and more scoring, and the worst 100 players in the league would be gone… thats my rant!

66. jedimyrmidon says:

In the ‘You might also like’ headlines: Parros gets the green light from doctors

*sigh*

67. Say Ash says:

There’s no better look than knee-high socks and sandals. Am I right, Gally?

68. Ozmodiar says:

Sometimes MaxPac reminds me of the dad from Modern Family. Looking at that photo… this is one of those times.

69. shiram says:

Glad to see Prust back on the wing, those faceoffs must not have helped his injury.
    And besides White is pretty good on the dot.
    Don’t know about Bournival, but if he can wing ‘em the rest of his game looked soung enough to me.

70. jedimyrmidon says:

Repost from the last thread:

I don’t have a problem with fighting per se. What I’m not liking is the way fighting is used in today’s NHL game.

If fights break out between two players who decide to drop the gloves in the heat of the moment or a teammate honourably defending another teammate, that seems fine.

Yeah, I used the word ‘honourably’.

What I don’t like is when a team has a marginal player whose role is to stir up trouble (by being an injury threat out there to all real hockey players) and fight (like the bully who has free reign to do whatever he wants because fighting is ultimately how ‘justice’ is decided). These players can cause all sorts of trouble and cause things to escalate and become violent. Guys like Scott, McCormick, McLaren and Orr.

This is where ‘honour’ comes in. If Orr/Scott decide to run a goaltender, or maybe take a run at a good player with questionable intentions, they, as the enforcer, are the ones causing trouble, which of course provokes a melee. They then start fighting, which is what they’re there to do and can do well, against anyone who might be on the ice at the time. I don’t see the need for any of that sort of mockery of the sport.

In the end, I guess my point is that agitator-goons should have no place in the NHL.

71. Propwash says:

Fort.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

72. Danno says:

Turd

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

73. Mattyleg says:

Yeaaaahhh!
    First!!

Finally!

It really feels good to be first.

Let me tell you a little story about how much I always wanted to be first:

When I was a little boy I

-edit- D’oh!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

74. Max_a_million says:

I want to see our best players play more regardless of contracts or age.

I want to see Price steal some games for us this year. I am a big Price fan, and I appreciate when he is on he is making it look easy and effortless. Still I would like to win some games we have no business winning this year.