Pacioretty leads Habs’ offense in 3-2 win over the Devils (Video)

Patch Pic resized

(Photo: John Mahoney, The Gazette)

Canadiens’ forward Max Pacioretty scored two power play goals Monday night to help lead the Habs to a 3-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre.

Line mates David Desharnais and Danny Brière each picked up an assist.

“This is their second game together. We can see there’s some chemistry starting to build,” Coach Michel Therrien said.

“That’s a good thing. That’s the reason why we try to put those guys (together) as much as we can.”

Therrien highlighted Pacioretty’s power and speed.

“Since Day 1 (of training camp) he came with the right attitude…He’s in great shape, he’s powerful. It’s demanding to play against him when he’s using his speed like that,” Therrien said.

With the start of their regular season a week away, the Canadiens went with a squad of veterans. The two prospects penciled into the lineup were defenseman Jarred Tinordi and forward Michaël Bournival who centred the Habs’ fourth line flanked by Travis Moen and Ryan White.

For a first game all together, Therrien said he liked what he saw in some areas although the timing wasn’t always there in others. But that’s normal at this time of year, he said.

“In general, I liked the effort.”

The Canadiens have two preseason games left, both against the Ottawa Senators. They play at Scotiabank Place on Wednesday in Kanata and on Thursday at the Bell Centre.

You can listen to what Pacioretty had to say after the game here:

You can listen to Ryan White here:

You can hear what P.K. Subban had to say here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. Un Canadien errant says:

Really in-depth article describing an ACL reconstruction done by Dr. James Andrews.

***Note for squeamish readers that there are pictures of the procedure.***

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

According to TSN Gionta will be playing on Thursday.

3. HammerHab says:

I’d really like to see Prust-Galchenyuk-Briere as a line. Briere mentoring Chucky and Prust there to keep the opposition in line….I think this line would have a positive impact now and would really help the development of our newest franchise player.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

4. jrshabs1 says:

So now that the Tinordi/Diaz debate has been put to bed, when can we have the Diaz/Murray conversation? Diaz brings nothing to the table, where as Murray brings much needed size and sandpaper. Murray and Markov would be a much better pair than Markov/Diaz. Unclench people!! Markov carried Komo for years..made him look like an all star. Komo left the Habs and fell of the the edge of the world. Markov and Murray would make a great pair.

Go Habs Go!!

What’s the latest on Parros? Will he be available for the first game against Leafs?

6. Chris says:

One thing I’ve been struggling with…the Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher line was not actually used very often last season. They played a grand total of 42:25 together.

Eller’s most frequent lines were:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust: 106:56
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Armstrong: 59:05
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder: 51:01
    Moen-Eller-Armstrong: 43:05
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher: 42:25
    Eller-Desharnais-Cole: 40:03
    Prust-Eller-Gionta: 37:03
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Dumont: 37:25
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Cole: 27:14
    Moen-Eller (4-on-4, overtime): 24:28

The Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher line only played significant minutes in three late-season games:

April 27: 4-1 road win over Toronto (8:33)
    April 20: 5-1 home loss against Washington (8:41)
    April 18: 3-2 home win against Tampa Bay (7:21)

I wouldn’t read too much into past chemistry in this case…the sample set is miniscule. Eller and Galchenyuk played together a lot but Gallagher was not actually on their line very often at all. The bulk of Gallagher’s minutes came with Pacioretty and Desharnais, a line that was largely used from game 17 onwards. The Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (not Prust, although Gallagher played like Prust in those first 10 games!) line was used until Game 10, and then they moved Gallagher to a higher line.

If Gallagher struggles this season, you can look at his limited access to Pacioretty. In some respects, I would like to see them put Briere with Eller and Galchenyuk, and keep Gallagher with Pacioretty where he seemed to play his best hockey.

Briere is no better of a defensive player than Gallagher, but at least he is a veteran presence that can help mentor his younger teammates.

• shiram says:

Lotsa good thoughts in there Chris.
      a small error here : The Prust-Galchenyuk-Prust line was used until Game 10, and then they moved Gallagher to a higher line.

I could not think of a better place for Brière than with DD ans Max, put what you propose makes sense.
      Max is very impressive, and I figure his play elevates that of his linemate alot.

• Chris says:

Galchenyuk and Gallagher played a with Pacioretty in Games 12-13, and the Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher line still got some ice time in games 11 and 13 (although it wasn’t his primary line in either game).

• twilighthours says:

Two prusts! Sweet

• bwoar says:

Nice work. Looks like Therrien is “kinda, sorta” hoping this line finds chemistry.

“thoroughbred”

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, the Max-DD line needs that little terrier to go fetch in the corners. Briere’s not going to do that. Defences are going to start standing up at the blue line forcing the Max-DD-Briere line to dump it in.

The other advantage of Danny on a line with Chuck and Eller, along with the mentoring aspect, is they can limit his playing time so he isn’t worn out by late season/playoffs when a player like Briere is most valuable.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• shiram says:

And people complained that Bergevin would sour his relation with Subban by persuing the bridge contract.
      I hope he does sit out the year…

• donmarco says:

It still mystifies me how this man keeps his job. He is quoted as saying all his players sign “gap” contracts, right after he locks up McDonaugh long term as his EL contract expires. Is it Stepan’s fault that there’s no room in the cap or Sather’s? And all this posturing and they’re only 600K apart. What an absolute buffoon. I’d take Stepan any day.

7. Lil Snapper says:

I don’t care if the Habs are similar to last year, as long as the necessary changes continue to be made, you don’t build a team in one off-season. We should be a force to contend with. Max is turning out to be the franchise player we have needed for years.

• DeadEnd says:

I finally watched the video. I will give Kessel a break (for argument’s sake) on the first swing, as Scott had no business going after him in the first place. However, the second swing came when Scott was already engaged with another player and had his back turned (therefore his calves/ankles were exposed and vulnerable). Don’t see how the league can justify less than 5 games, although it will probably be 2 or 3.

8. Eddie says:

I really like the Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher line. I hope they stay together.

• twilighthours says:

I hope eller learns how to use his line mates ed

• AH says:

I hope they stay together too..as long as they are successful. I’m worried about little G though, he’s a great little player, but the other teams are aware of him and his skill now and so they are going to pound him at every step, MT better keep an eye on it.

• Eddie says:

Gallagher has been pounded since he showed up to play Major Junior at 145 lbs. His game has never changed, and he has never backed down. When he went to Hamilton I expected him to get pounded and he did. Last year he got pounded near the net several times. He still bounced up every time and became one of our MOST CONSISTENT and MOST VALUABLE players, game in and game out.

All these concerns and fears about Gallagher have been repeated over and over again, and he always finds a way to silence them

9. Bim says:

Yes they won and all that and I’m happy for them but I just don’t have that excited feeling about this team. Its basically the same team with exception of Briere and Parros that they had last year and you know how that ended up. That last playoff game against Ottawa was embarrassing. I just don’t see adding two older players to their team making a big difference. We still don’t know when Parros will be coming back and Briere has looked pretty ordinary so far. I suppose after about the first month we’ll know what we’ve got but I’m more interested in the long term than this year.

• johnnylarue says:

I share your lack of excitement to an extent, but I’m blaming that on pre-season hockey. It’s hard to get worked up over a game that doesn’t mean anything. (Might be different for a Leafs fan, for whom the futility of the regular season approaches the meaninglessness of an exhibition game…)

But don’t kid yourself. A month? We’ll know what we’ve got by early January, around the same time we begin to know what the other teams look like. Because greatness and mediocrity are very, very relative.

• Habsrule1 says:

Same team as last year except the kids should be better. No reason to believe Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, PK, Price won’t do better than last year. I haven’t even mentioned Tinordi yet.

The fights may have been embarrassing (I still see it less one-sided than everyone is saying…no Habs were bloody or limping off the ice), but the games themselves were fairly close and th Habs even dominated a couple that they lost.

I think the team will be better offensively and will have the D-Men to actually clear the front of the net. I also think opposing players may think twice when entering our zone for fear of hits from PK, Emelin, Tinordi and Murray. Price’s job should be easier this season.

My prediction is Habs no lower than 5th in the conference.

Go Habs Go!!

10. AH says:

Has anyone seen the picture of Sam Gagners face?..the media here say it’s pretty gruesome?

11. Mattyleg says:

Ah crap.
    There goes today’s production out the window;

The girl who just sat across from me in the café looks exactly like a young Beverly D’Angelo.

Only cuter.

(scrunches up laptop, throws over shoulder into wastepaper basket, stares out window, darts glances at girl, sighs)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Ron says:

Todays practice lines: Bourque-Plek-Gionta
    Pac-Des-Briere
    EDIT Gally-Eller-Chucky
    Moen-Bournival-White
    Prust therapy day

13. Bill says:

@PrimeTime: laughed out loud at that one! You hit it on the head. I’d love to watch that reality show.

Hey maybe the team could be run based on fan voting? Just have to go through the poll questions here for a few years to see what debacle that would be.

14. Ron says:

The next two games for the Habs should prove interesting. They are back to back tilts with the Sens. Before their games, Ottawa will have already played a game Tuesday (tonight) at the ACC against the Ontario Slashers which should provide for some great smack downs. Wednesday in Ottawa with the Habs and Thursday again with our Habs. How much of a sore, tried team will come out against us. Might be to our advantage even though just pre-season.

15. Strummer says:

One last comment on the Leafs-Sabres dust-up:

The odor that permeated afterward at the ACC was Kessel- he shat his pants.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

16. JF says:

Noticed some comments farther down criticizing Eller and that line generally.

First, Eller: I know he spent the summer working out and is apparently in better shape than ever, but it could still take him some time to regain his confidence and rhythm after what was a pretty serious injury. I think we need to be patient.

As for the line itself, it hasn’t looked good so far, and I’m not much liking it. For a start, neither Gally is very good defensively. Then maybe the line needs a veteran presence or maybe a more heavyweight presence. Didn’t Prust centre the two Gallys for a while last season with some good results? But I’m afraid I can easily see Brendan Gallagher suffering the proverbial sophomore slump – not because he plays any differently but because he gets constantly crushed and banged and has trouble finding room.

17. donmarco says:

To everyone wanting to see Bournival stick with the team it just won’t happen, despite him deserving it. I don’t see him replacing any players on the top 3 lines, and he’s a waste on the fourth. Bergevin has given Therrien some nice options in that if a top 9 forward goes down, Prust slides in to any wingers role (like last night with Gionta out). If any of our top 3 centers go down, we have Briere or Chucky as options, and again Prust moves up. With a healthy lineup Moen will platoon with Parros depending on the opponent. So even if one player goes down, Bournival won’t be called up. Only if there are 2 injuries. He’s 21. Play his guts out in Hamilton and next year he sticks.

Of course, all bets are off if a player tanks and underperforms, but that will take a few weeks to determine.

Tinordi, on the other hand, needs to stay, especially after seeing the pathetic performance of Diaz last night. I know hands are somewhat tied with the one way contracts, but he deserves to be here and is one of our top 4, not top 6.

Will be interesting to see how they’ll do it, but I predict Tinordi will be here opening night, and not Bournival.

One week away!!!!!

18. Kooch7800 says:

The play of the Egg line worries me a bit. For this team to succeed they will need decent production from that line. I am worried they were a flash in the pan line combo like Cole-DD-Max P line that sucked in year 2. If that happens this teams scoring will be way down

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

I agree they didn’t look strong last night, and I share your concern. But someone else did mention earlier in thread that Eller seemed to have a sluggish start last season as well.

I still worry that the line could be somewhat exposed, and wouldn’t mind seeing Gallagher and Prust swapped. Only problem is where this puts Gallagher.

Having said all that, it is early. I’m not one for jinxes/superstition, but that sophomore jinx thing is slightly worriesome for that line.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am hoping Eller will be able to pull that line through as this will be his 3rd year with the habs and his experience should help. I do agree about putting prust in Gallaghers spot. Prust seemed to give that line just a tad more confidence and we don’t need anyone going after Chucky again

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Chris says:

The team’s scoring will likely be way down regardless. The Habs last season benefit from a relatively injury-free regular season. That allows players to develop chemistry and things start to roll. The same thing happened in 2007-08.

If you look at the forwards objectively, this team is not one you would expect to score over 3 goals per game. And if Therrien tries to get them to tighten up defensively over last season (something I am praying he is doing), then the scoring will also go down.

I’m not crazy about the EGG line because Gallagher and Galchenyuk are terrible defensive players, while Eller was prone to some very bad reads last season at even-strength.

That all being said, it is preseason. It really doesn’t matter too much, because you aren’t necessarily seeing these guys playing in their usual roles. I’m not going to worry about things too much until Game 10-15 of the regular season.

Last point: don’t be surprised at all if Eller is yet another player who is a notorious slow starter. He improved as the season wore on in both of the last two years. I suspect that goes hand-in-hand with some of his extra weight getting shed and playing at a more reasonable size for his style. I think he has been bulking up too much in the off-season and has to work his way back to his optimal playing weight.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you Chris that I do think the team needs to tighten up defensively and that our forwards did benefit from not only injury free but also a shortened season. I think the production would have started to drop off in an 82 game season as our weaknesses were starting to get exposed near the end and in the playoffs.

Never really thought about the extra weight on Eller but that is a valid point. I really hope he is the one that pulls that line through. I would also like to see Prust back on that line as Burly mentions above or even put Briere with Chucky and eller.

I think we will miss Ryders goals as well. I am not going to bash Briere again but I don’t think he has the offense he used to.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Timo says:

They don’t have enough physicality in them. And 3 of them are still rather inexperienced.

19. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m far from perfect. When the Habs lose, I’m looking for a Toronto loss to cheer me up.

So when I saw the Montreal Canadiens were 63rd on ESPN’S ultimate team rankings, I went to see where the Laffs were. 119.

Good enough to post:

20. Chris says:

Ben: For me, the key to the Guelph Storm’s season will be Hunter Garlent. He was on a nice roll when he broke his ankle last year. His size will always be an issue for his NHL potential, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him follow in the footsteps of Martin St. Pierre or Tanner Richard, players that broke out as 18 year olds after being passed over in their draft year because of size concerns.

Garlent could end up as the Storm’s top-line centre. If he does, his two-way play, work ethic and speed will allow him to pile up points. He will be battling Fabbri for ice time, but both guys have lots of talent and are very competitive players.

21. JO says:

I would like to see, even if it was just for a look see. Bournival between the two Gally’s. Yes it would make the line smaller but if you’re gonna have small players on the team play them where ever or don’t have them …
    They’re gonna get hit, pushed of the puck, what ever whether they’re on the same line together or separate lines won’t matter. Just because there’s two big guy’s on a line with these guy’s they’re not gonna get pushed around. You’re 100% wrong especially if the bigger guy’s can’t mix it up and we have a few.

Try it in the Pre-Season MT see what develops.

• PrimeTime says:

I agree. MT should just ignore the intelligence gathering and organization planning management of professional hockey people and just throw spit on a wall to see what works. In fact I think the team should allow fanatic fans to be guest coaches in an annual reality series contest to determine the direction of team for the year. Crazy !!

22. Ron says:

Gionta to play 1st pre-season game Thursday..

23. bwoar says:

Andrei Markov sure looked to be in fine form last night, didn’t he? His partner though… not changing any minds with his play last night.

Briere gets points for standing up for himself – and not hoping someone else else on the team will do it for him.

EGG line – not looking very convincing. At all.

Sure seems to me that any line Pacioretty is on will be the top line.

Last thing – are you guys gonna stop ranting about fighting or should I expect it to just be that way forever? HFO (Hockey Fighting OUT) ?

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

Markov looks much faster than last season…not quite his old self but not looking slow anymore. Still does that weird skate up to guys and stop in front of them that is at best a 50/50 play…sometimes you can see the old forward in him leak out I guess. His wheels though look much better so he should be good to at least be whatever a 35 year old Andrei markov should be…not a hobbled 35 yr old Andrei Markov…which is what we saw last year.

• bwoar says:

Part of me worries that it’s not gonna last, and around game 50 the bubble will burst, but he’s always been one of my favorites. He passes the puck as well as anyone in the East.

The skate-up thing – yeah, guys are savvy to it. He’ll burn the less experienced but as you say, 50/50.

He did a fine job covering for Diaz last night, which gives me hope that by the end of the season, a more experienced Tinordi may slot in there with him if Emelin’s return is delayed or bumpy.

“thoroughbred”

• Kooch7800 says:

Diaz is up for a contract at the end of the year. With the D coming up he will have to have a good year or he won’t be around

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

I’m still pulling for him to step it up. We’ve seen him play some good hockey. I picked him for my hockey pool last year knowing he had a step on those who hadn’t played, that worked great until he was hurt. This year will be his chance to show that it wasn’t just a pre-NHL-season headstart that made him stand out.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

Nah…he is always well conditioned…it takes time to gain explosiveness…he was not liek that at the beginning of last year or when he returned at the end of the year before. He finally looks to have rebuilt his knee properly ….Teemu Selanne underwent a rough period way back when… as have many a players after knee rebuilds. He may actually get better…. in fact I would bet that is the direction he will head in from a skating perspective…barring reinjury.

• bwoar says:

That’s great to hear. I recall Teemu’s issues too and it seems to have turned out quite well for the Finnish Flash.

“thoroughbred”

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed bwoar!Judging from the poll ,Twice as many people here Do Not want fighting taken out of hockey, so lets move on. Who is Blair O”Neal Timo?

You have got to be kidding me… you people are still talking about that laffs-sabres crap? Seriously.

25. Mattyleg says:

Oh cripes,
    Habs have just revealed that they’re doing another season of 24CH.

How depressing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. Ron says:

Prust not at practice today. Described as therapy day ..

27. Marc10 says:

Colton Orr tried to take Pleky’s knee out last year. Didn’t hear anyone in Toronto complain. If Scott wants to go after Kessel… Well that’s just another page out of the goon playbook, non?

• Kooch7800 says:

I said the same thing yesterday. They want to play goon hockey….there will always be someone out there ready to challenge you.

The sad part is we have a small team and we have had quite a few line brawls in the last few years. Boston and Ottawa being the most recent

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Strummer says:

Scott was quoted in the paper saying he wasn’t going to hurt Kessel. Just trying to send a message to the Leafs as he’s paid to do.
      Maybe rag-doll him a la Chara.
      More messing with his head than anything.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I actually believe him, I don’t think Scott himself would take much pleasure in beating the tar out of Kessel, I truly believe he would have indeed just pushed him around for a while.

I maintain Carlyle was the biggest prick in that whole ordeal. Rolston made it clear what was happening, and Carlyle coaches the exact same way. Too bad he had the religious experience just prior to picking his lines for that shift.

• DipsyDoodler says:

And Orr did take out Bourque.

• Sportfan says:

A I said yesterday I thought it was funny seeing Kessel jump and run, with all the crap their goons did last year I feel no pity for the Leafs. I wish Kadri had jumped the bench to would be nice to see him suspended.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. adamkennelly says:

you guys see the Lucic vs. Rechlicz scrap last night? Holy f-ng crap what a fight…as much as I hate to say it Lucic is as tough as anyone in the league – he can throw em and win against anyone…scary.

• What a tilt!

I’ll give Lucic the split decision, as he landed a couple more hard shots to Rechlicz’s beak.

But, the kid gets props for taking all of those shots and giving back almost as many.

DDonais

• Strummer says:

As tough as Looch is he doesn’t want to end up in too many of these extended tilts. I think he under estimated his opponent who gave him all he could handle
      The risk is spending too much time in the box for a first liner or getting injured.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• --Habs-- says:

They both looked a little stunned towards the end! So obviously good ones landed on both sides! Actually I think Lucic was hurting at the end!

Go HABS Go

• arcosenate says:

Does Jack Edwards actually own NESN? I have to believe so because there’s no way anyone would hire him. He’s a total embarrassment.

That was a draw at best, but man, Edwards just can’t tell the story straight.

• slyCH says:

A link for this lazy @ss would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT; Never mind just scrolled down and found it.

Look down about 5 or 6 posts, the fight is linked.
        Edit:Never mind, just saw your never mind, so a complete never mind is in order.

• Mattyleg says:

Edit: I hadn’t actually posted anything here originally.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• slyCH says:

I think the biggest never mind is Jack Edwards, what a douche. He’s the biggest homer.
          Actually a douche is a useful hygiene product for one of my all time favorite female anatomy so that’s not doing him justice. Let’s call him a colostomy bag.

EDIT; Gr8 fight by the way. Just to keep that EDIT thing going ;-)

29. habstrinifan says:

Tony Marinaro is on radio saying Pacs looks like he has bulked up. WOW! I had exactly a different take. He looks ‘leaner, skates taller’ than last year. I think last year his ‘bulking up’ seemed to be a bit hampering. Bottom line I am saying he looks as if he is carrying a more optimum weight this year. I havent looked but I wont be surprised if his playing weight now is less than last year.

• Mattyleg says:

For sure.
      DD claimed he had the same problem last year.
      There is a myth that bigger is better, but it’s more about maximising the efficiency of your body-type.

Bouillon is naturally small and stocky, which means he can carry more weight than DD and be effective. If he were lighter, Bouillon woudn’t be as good. A heavier DD is less effective than a lighter DD.

I couldn’t imagine Plekanec putting on an extra 8-10 lbs of muscle and being as effective, much like I can’t imagine PK losing that much muscle-weight and remaining as good as he is.

I guess players have to try it out, and see how it works for them in order to be able to find their target.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. Maksimir says:

Yannick Weber – remember him?

1 goal – 1 assist last night for VAN.

4 points in 3 games… okay okay I know its only the pre-season.

31. habstrinifan says:

Best thing about last night’s game for the HABS, in my humble opinion, was Pacioretty.

He showed ‘a deke’; he showed more ice vision; and one of the most important things and someone here mentioned it earlier, he stayed in the slot and got a great wrist shot on the goal. If the HABS can reduce the number of times they have 3 players all crowding the net while D-MEN fire aimless shots ‘hoping’ for a fluky goal, you will see better production.. my humble opinion. HABS need a) to get their defense more involved in the attack(especially in the ‘reset’ pass to them) and get more wrist shots from the slot area.

Net presence is good and cant be overlooked but strategic, imaginative offensive playmaking must be practised and executed if you gonna be a great team. Note I am not saying a goals like the one scored by White is not important. White and forwrds like him need to play the net presence style.. Gallagher and Pacs need to be find angles and timing and lanes in the slot area for ‘seeing eye’ scorers’ goals. Like the one Pacs scored last night and the one Bournival scored a couple nights ago.

Edit: Saw an attempt by Gallagher to focus more on playmaking than pestiness… he had some solid scoring chances.
    I liked that.

• krob1000 says:

Not only that…he had a chance ofr the hat trick after that deke..he is a known shooter…and instead he made the pass across….very unselfish play to say the least. IF they can get him using his legs off the rush like that he will back a lot of defenses up….

• Strummer says:

Maybe he’s finally 100% healthy after the concussions and appendix issues to start the last 2 seasons.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

32. The Jackal says:

Just wondering how anyone can still think fighting should be part of hockey, more dumbfounding still is the notion that it is necessary for on-ice justice.

How can it be that we think the officials and the league cannot provide the proper security for the players? It is partly due to the fact that the NHL is a joke when it comes to these issues, but it is also due to the culture of on-ice policing. Maybe back in the day that was feasible and not as dangerous, but today, we’ve reached a point where some players are just there to fight. They provide no other contributions other than being large and in charge. Any other time they are a liability and a waste of a roster spot.

Today, with athletes being in top shape and as strong as can be, and with the sport seeing the average size of players increasing, the goon has gone from a Nilan type to a John Scott type. The former could play and fight, and maybe in that time and before that, players were more prudent about fighting, and it appears that entire teams had a deterrent role in the sense that the game had less rules re. physicality.

But today, there is a more pronounced division between tough guys and skilled guys. Granted, there are many players who fit in both categories, but more often than not, the new NHL has shifted the focus to skilled players, and teams have loaded up on them. At the same time, the deterrent factor that involves having tough guys/goons, has remained, except that the role has been assigned to one our two players, who are mostly there by virtue of being pugilists and not good hockey players (for that level). So we have this situation where most guys on teams don’t want to fight and just throw clean hits or if they are dirty, it is either accidental or just to agitate, not to injure or anything. Nevertheless, some players or teams are forced to answer the bell whenever it is felt that they have transgressed against another team or player, and then this falls unto the goon.

The goon is essentially forced to fight to keep his role on the team. We see the Scott and other similar incidents as at least being partially the goon’s fault, but in fact these incidents are the fault of the NHL’s failure to adapt the rules to reflect the nature of the faster and more skilled league that they themselves willingly created. When hockey began to shift to a more skilled league that opened up to finesse players and under-emphasized certain physical aspects of the game, it had the effect of diminishing the role and even the frequency of physical intimidation and other deterrents, but the NHL did little reflect these changes in the form of adapting and creating new rules, as it did to reflect and promote more skill and speed.

And thus, we are left with vestige of old time hockey, which to many fans is still exciting and even integral to hockey, but which is also holding the sport back and endangering players. The NHL needs to start phasing out fighting and implementing a better disciplinary framework so that teams do not feel they need a goon or a tough guy to go hurt another player in response to what could even have been a clean play or an accident.

We don’t need fighting or goons. If there is ever a need for a team to stand up for itself, then a team would do so as a team. Nobody needs to drop the gloves to say that they won’t be intimidated by a hard-hitting player. The only reason teams have fighters is because they are afraid that another team will unleash theirs on a player.

I realize lots of people still enjoy these fights, and that there is an inherent entertainment value to them. Admittedly, when I am watching a game and a fight breaks out, it is exciting to watch, but at the end of the day, it diminishes the value of the sport on the whole and it sends the wrong message to players and fans. And of course there is issue of brain damage and mental health issues. If concussions and other forms of brain trauma are a big deal, which ostensibly the NHL affirms as such, then how can punching a guy in the face repeatedly not fall under the same agenda? It is just absurd that this state of affairs still exists.

For those who are pro-fighting, just consider that the sport and players would be better off without it. It would not remove physicality or hitting, only the unnecessary and dangerous cog that fighting is.

TL;DR – fighting is bad for the sport and players, remove it.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Luke says:

An interesting bit of perspective, especially with a crowd that mentions the “UFC on Skates” when it comes to fighting and goonery.

Current reports have John Scott at ~270lbs.
      Current reports have Phil Kessel at ~180lbs.

In the UFC John Scott would be too heavy for the Heavy weight division. He’s considered a Super Heavy Weight (265lbs is the upper limit). Kessel would be a Middle Weight (185lbs).

In the UFC, they’d never be allowed to enter a controlled environment, wearing pads on their fists and no razor sharp skate blades, with a dedicated ref watching and evaluating their mutually agreed upon physical combat.

In the NHL, they let ‘em square up and go at it bare knuckle style…

How very odd.

• Cal says:

When a fight breaks out, there’s always something else on another channel.
      The old arguments no longer apply. Players used to look after their own battles.
      These days, everyone’s a bloody specialist.

33. krob1000 says:

Re Phil Kessel…I have no issues with how he defended himself against Johnn Scott. In fact I think Kessel earned some respect…sure he swung his stick but it was against John Scott. He more than answered the bell and threw them with a guy who was more in his league and fared quite well. Should he be suspended? absolutely…but that 2-4 games and scrap showed for the first time I know of Kessel that he will stand up for himself….good for Phil IMO. people go on and on about olt time hockey and our beloved Rocket Richard was known to use his stick …so were several other Habs legends….

• Ozmodiar says:

Was Kessel still defending himself when he kept chopping at Scott while he was buried under a pile of players?

Does the Rocket’s penchant for a bit of stick work 60 years ago make it okay today? How’d you feel about the slash Gally took last night?

• icedogs22 says:

Did Emelin swing his stick at Chara when he was jumped? Nope! Didn’t turtle either. Took it like a man despite the huge risk to his career.

• krob1000 says:

Emelin adn Phil Kessel are two totally different types of players. Emelin invites trouble..yes hits are almost always clean but the NHL culture is well established…right or wrong as it may be. He knows if he is going to continue to take those big hit attempts tot he extreme that he will ocasionally answer the bell. That is his choice and he did not hesitate…he is actually a very tough kid. Kessel should never be forced into a fight with a 6 foot 8 giant….what did he do? even by the NHL’s self regulatory rules? what did Kessel fo to deserve to be lined up with John friggin Scott saying he was about to tear hima new one?
        The slash last night…dirty and uncalled for, bigger palyer slashing a small player for no reason…should have had to answer to someone for that actually….part of the reason I would like to see Gallagher on a diff’t line. However he knows he invites some of it constantly in goalies grills and taunting players after the whistle. Gallagher will answer the bell against guys in his own league and even some out of it….but he too should do the same if John Scott comes after him.

34. krob1000 says:

I am not liking the Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher line. Maybe I will but I see that line lacking a grinder to do the dirty work. I get the idea with the D, Patches and dd line…they too have no true puck retriever but all are very experienced and can play a puck possesion game with relative ease. If given the choice and with what appears to be the starting lineup I would prefer
    Pleks-Galchenyuk-Bourque(RW), DD-Patches-Gio, Eller-Briere-Prust, White-Gallagher-Moen

I know this means Gallagher is not getting top 9 mintues but I am not so sure it wouldn’t be more balanced and give him more support as he is getting pushed around. He could still be out on a pp unit wreaking havoc in front but I am afraid he amy be in for a sophomore setback if not supported by his teammates a little more. He is taking a beating every night. He would score some goals on the 4th and could provide a little offensive energy on that unit.

I think Glachenyuks game would be tailor made to play with Pleks…and Bourque can handle the brunt of the dirty work. Pleks is alos a valuable shooter if given a playmaker to play with as well but both Bourque and Gio are shooters so I think having another playmaker would be great to get Pleks going.
    Prust with Eller and Briere would IMO be dynamite.
    These won’t happen but I fear there is some danger in having Eller-Galch and Gally out there as a unit. Lacks experience and also lacks a wrokhorse. Eller tries his guts our but he ahs too much defensvie responsibvility in the middle of the cie and Galcenyuk and Gallagher are not strong enough to win enough battles and play along the walls IMO without a PRust type of guy with them. They willa lso lack some confidence knowing they are defenseless after whistles against some tougher teams.
    Who knows maybe they just score a ton of goals and have the puck so often it won’t matter but that line worries me. Much of the Habs success depends on the success of those 3 being at the least replicated so to have all those wildcards and xfactors on one line is a dangeroud game IMO….EGG line is right….but maybe too many golden eggs in one basket.

35. aversglay says:

About the Kessel thing, one thing I don’t see people mentioning is that he swings his stick twice at Scott (the first may have been in defense to avoid a fight, but not the second), theen gets in another fight and, of course, drops his stick. He then picks up his stick, which he has already used as a weapon, and spears him. It’s no so much the spear that bothers me, but that, with equipment all over the ice, he finds his stick again and then goes over to spear him. I think there is a clear (and clearly feable) attempt to injure.

• krob1000 says:

he should get suspended but I have no issue with him needing a stick against John Scott. Gien it was he and Scott who initiated the whole thing I don;t blame him for getting his stick again…he shouldn;t have went over to him again…but the ifrst whacks and his fight showed he would defend himself. The second one is what I do have an issue with but I have nothing aginst him going to get his stick while Scott is still on the ice….sure the stick is a weapon…but if you are Phil Kessel against John Scott it is necessary to DEFEND himself. Should definitely be suspended though…I would have thought 5 games but phone hearing means less likey.

• GrosBill says:

I agree, a suspension is warranted. He may have gotten away with the initial swing but doing it while Scott was tied up by leafs and then again while he was tied up by a Leaf and a linesman deserves a suspension. 1-3 games. Also it should be pointed out that it was Kessel who initiated the physical contact, not Scott. Have to wonder if Kessel is trying to save face for the handy stick work.

The Leafs would never use a goon to pick on or fight a skill guy right? Or sucker punch a skill guy with a goon right (Orr on Bourque)?

Based on what happened not what Scott said, Scott got what he deserved (since he actually did not touch Kessel), and Kessel should as well. Scott also seemed eager to divert his attention to the willing Leafs coming in sticking up for Phil.

Leafs play that game they should get used to living by the sword…..As for Clarkson-as a Hab fan I love it! What a boneheaded move. As for “Hold me back Kadri” – hilarious. Scott owes Lupol for that one!

-my avatar is kind of a mockery of the NHL, that slapshot is the direction they are heading. Seems to be getting closer to that all the time.

36. Thomas Le Fan says:

Bruce Garrioch and the Ottawa Sun are reporting that, according to some survey, the Sens are Canada’s #1 team. I have two words for that. As if.
    AFAIC, they also have the worst name and non sequitor logo in sports history. Ottawa Senators? Shouldn’t they have a picture of Mike Duffy instead of a Roman soldier on their jerseys? Go Habs.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

37. sCOTT1243 says:

Live in Toronto and I ‘ll tell you, I can’t believe the amount of whinning coming from the laffs…

1) Clarkson what a tool, 10 games and accomplished nothing, could have gone for tea and crumpets with Scott after the game and had their talk at Timmy’s..

2) Carlyle, I seem to remember a certain habs game where MClaren and Orr, went after Plekanec, Gorges and punched Bourque in the face.

3) Kadri “I wanted to jump out there” lol

4) Toronto Media. Get real, talking like the leafs are all finesse players.

I hate the laffs even more right now, which I didnt think was possible….Man I hope Mustache, Prust, Tinordi, White, Subban etc come out and just pummel these guys…I dont even care if they win their first game or not. Set the tone. Maybe Moen can fight Kessel :)

• shandrew says:

Brother I feel your pain…i’m in the same position. I usually do a good job of ignoring the Leafs but at the moment, it’s impossible. Must…get…out…

38. Mattyleg says:

About Ottawa:
    The funny thing is that loads of people thought that last year’s series would FINALLY create a RIVALRY between Montreal and Ottawa. The Eller got cleaned out, and people thought: ‘Here we go!’

But the truth is, I care just as little about Ottawa as I ever did.
    And I suspect I’m not the only one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

You will change your mind after these two tilts. You may even be spitting mad.

• The Cat says:

I think thats cause Ottawa’s lacked a powerful identity (same with Montreal really), but with the size theyre piling on, thats looking to change; theyre becoming a gritty team. MTL has a strong smurf identity, but its not powerful. The MTL-BOS rivalry has everything to do with Boston, MTL brings history, they got to bring something else.

39. HabsFanInTampa says:

Did anybody see Phil Kessel swinging his stick back & forth like a beeach the other night at a Sabre’s player?

• doc359 says:

I’d do the same if I had Jon Scott telling me he was going to destroy me.

Phil Kessel is the star in this league and Scott had no business going anywhere near him.

• Cal says:

Same could be said for the Laffs goons targeting star Sabre players just prior to Scott being sent out. Carlyle is a flaming hypocrite.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

If you’re a “star”, then just skate away. very simple.

• Psycho29 says:

Exactly….I might give him a pass for the first slash, but the second one when Scott was tied up and THEN a spear?? Minimum 5 games for Poppin Fresh™.
          I know that he won’t get that many though..

• Phil C says:

What do you think Kessel was doing? He wasn’t standing there swinging his stick, he was back peddling as quickly as possible. He could not have backed up any faster.

Once Scott was tied up, he got an extra slash in, which was unacceptable. Up until that point, he was trying to escape.

• Mustang says:

Phil, well said. I gave him a pass on the first slash even though I cannot stand anyone using their stick as a weapon. However, I couldn’t believe that he took that wild 2 handed chop at a player that was already tied up. That deserves a very serious suspension but I am not holding my breath because we all know that the laffs never intentionally do that kind of thing. The next Buffalo – Toranna game should be fun to watch.

• Mr. Biter says:

Scott told Kessel what was going to happen and I also would have skated away as fast as possible but Kadri no doubt would have gone after Scott.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

40. Mattyleg says:

The pre-season is such a strange thing.
    Even last night can’t be evaluated with the same kind of measuring-stick as a regular-season game.

All that can be said is, as Therrien implied, it’s coming along.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. frontenac1 says:

@dipsydoodler. I hope Lars has a chat with Diaz before the game about where not to pass.

42. Maksimir says:

When Emelin is healthy I’d like to see these D-lines:

Subban-Emelin
    Markov-Tinordi
    Murray-Diaz

You get a stay at home big dman on every shift, and a puck mover.

Tiny can learn from Markov, Diaz can cover Murray’s slow feet, and Subban/Emelin can crush opponents at the blue line, or jump into the rush.

Rotate Gorges/Murray/Boullion depending on opponent and injuries.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I like that idea, although seeing an Emelin-Tinordi pairing would be hillarious just to see the body count.

• Maritime Ronn says:

At best, Tinordi is a 3rd pairing this year.
      A monster difference between playing against an opponent’s 3rd-4th line vs. facing Crosby-Malkin-Stamkos-Tavares….Tinordi is nowhere near top 4/22-24 minutes per game against those type of guys night after night.
      The Leafs did that with Luke Schenn and burned the young man.

As for the Markov and Tinordi pairing, both play the left side.
      When Coach MT was asked at the post game presser about Tinordi playing a few shifts on the right side, he was quick to mention it was just a few shifts, and his body language was that there was no way he was a right side Dman.

The only natural right side Dmen the Habs have now are Subban-Diaz, and Gorges has shown in previous years that he can play the right side and had success with Markov.

• Phil C says:

The 2nd line right handed defenseman is a hole in the line up. I’m a big Diaz supporter, but I prefer him as a third pairing defensemen or paired with a more physical partner than Markov if you have to use him in the top four. With the logjam of left shooting defensemen on the team, I would like to see a trade for a bonafide top four guy to play with Markov.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Phil
          Top 4 Dmen are almost impossible to acquire without giving up the farm.
          Any suggestions as to whom or cost?

• Luke says:

MRnn.. It’s obvious the cost is DD… it’s now just a matter of who.

Tim Gleason from Carolina. Him.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Luke
            Do you really believe Gleason would be a Top 4 on the Habs?
            He is going to be lucky to be a Top 4 on Caro this year.

• Phil C says:

Tried replying several times, something in my reply is being filtered. In short, no specific suggestion, just be opportunistic as the GM when a player that fits your needs becomes available.

• Phil C says:

I like those pairings. Hopefully Tinordi could handle playing on his off wing. Gorges has a lot of salary to be sitting in the pressbox. If this is your future, they should try to trade him.

• 24 Cups says:

MT isn’t going to be sitting Gorges or Bouillon anytime soon.

• Mattyleg says:

With good reason.
        I don’t understand the Murray-love.
        Is he going to go out and fight every game?
        Is he actually a good enough defenceman to replace Gorges or Bouillon?

Okay, I have a confession to make.
        Those were rhetorical questions, to which the implied (and correct) answer is ‘no’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maritime Ronn says:

What’s interesting about your Top 6 is that 4 of them will be UFAs next summer being Markov, Diaz, Emelin, and Murray.
      Subban will be an RFA with very important Arbitration Rights this time around.

It will be very interesting how GMMB handles all of this concerning who he wants to keep, and whether or not the pending UFAs prefer to test the UFA market with a most likely increase in the Salary Cap.
      Of the 4 UFAs, only Markov has a Modified No Trade Clause and it was reported that “he can list up to 16 teams he will not accept trade to.”

43. Maritime Ronn says:

By now, most have heard that Leafs David Clarkson has been suspended for the first 10 games of the ‘regular season.

Then this strange and interesting tweet:
    @DarrenDreger: Not sure as an opposing team or player I like the idea of a player suspended 10 regular season games, free to play in preseason.

In the crazy mixed up world of NHL discipline, is Dregger stating that Clarkson can play the remaining 3 exhibition games if he and management want?

If he is, who cares. Let Clarkson play all the exhibition he wants, those games mean nothing. What is important is that his boneheaded play results in missing meaningful games.

Part of me wonders if Dreger isn’t just whining for his “family” friend Nonis in hopes of having exhibition games count towards his suspension.

• 24 Cups says:

Kessel needs to be suspended, too. That would mean the Habs would face Toronto on opening night without Kessel and Clarkson. Me like.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Burli
        Just found it strange that there would be that option.
        It makes little sense.

• Luke says:

It’s to prevent guys from hoping on the ice in preseason and then serving 5 – 7 games of the suspension during the pre-season.

It is odd though… kind of smart in that the punishment is real games, but yet so dumb that he can go out there and be a meathead for the remainder odf the pre-season.

44. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Anybody else like Danny Boy steer wrestling Henrique down?

45. Cam_1 says:

Small correction on the article…it says ScotiaBank place..its not called that anymore..it’s now Canadian Tire place…but no biggie ….Go Habs Go !!

46. port elgin says:

Did Eller even play last night? Kinda overrated by us Habs fans don”t ya think?

I’d go so far as to call him an incompetent boob most nights.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t think he is incompetent but I am worried that he is still suffering the effects of that concussion. PLayers often take a year to get back to normal.

• krob1000 says:

I am loving Tinordi’s paly as much as the next person…the guy can skate and once he gets going he is a force tobe rckoned with. His downside however is in his own end…he is very slow in short spurts and never seems to win a race for the puck to the corner. That needs to be compensated for by an excellent containing ability in tight and I saw him get beat a few times and I also saw him successfully pin guys or use his reach to prevent a play from being made….still some work to be done there. Once he gets a head of steam he is actually a very strong skater but those bog guys have difficulty in the short races and that is a big part of playing d in the NHL…..Gill and Chara come to mind but both are extremely intelligent and are aware enough to assess their surroundings and rarely err in a way that provides more of an advantage to the opposition.
      If there is a reason to keep Tinordi in the HAmmer for a bit aht is the only one I have seen. He is a fearsome pincher down the wall, he is very phsyical, he is better offensively than people give him credit for, he is tough and strong in battles and will stick up for teammates. I think he is a gem and an ideal dman for what the Habs have lacked…but I can see some flaws that need more attention and there is nothing wrong with that…it is to be expected of all dmen and even moreso with giant ones. When he plays a team like PItts where it is Crosby racing to that corner…Tinordi needs to be at least cutting ff his best option and trying to contain Crosby to a less dangerous place….that will be tough. Crosby makes most look foolish but someone like TInordi is someone he would have a field day with down low with 5 feet of separation…and there are top forwards on every team that could also take advantage of him right now.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Has Eller ever been a training camp phenom? Perhaps one forgets that he seems to gather momentum as the season goes on.

47. Maritime Ronn says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Subban says the puck didn’t hit him on the Ryder goal; he wrenched his neck trying to get his head out of the way of the point shot.

48. Small_Town_Boy says:

Jarred Tinordi stays if MT can’t see that then the heck with him …

Dat’s wha me tinks

49. Lafleurguy says:

Daniel Briere is a much better complement to Desharnais and Pacioretty as the no. 1 scoring line than Erik Cole or Michael Ryder were. The two-and-a-half-men line was invisible at the start of last year’s abbreviated season. Cole had one goal before being traded. Pacioretty seemed to get untracked with a bouncing shot for a goal from centre ice followed by a shin-pad effort, but then was knocked out by appendicitis (he shockingly returned after about a three-game absence but was only capable of half-speed). Ryder provided an initial spark but then that line combo became easy to defend. DB is shifty and creative and barring a John Scott mauling or some other form of injury, we should see this line produce like a no. 1 scoring line.

“May you live in interesting times.”

50. DipsyDoodler says:

Grybapocalypse Now!

We’re meeting the Sens twice this week and it’s time for Eric Gryba to get his comeuppance.

Will Parros be ready? If not who does the job?

Grybapocalypse Now!

• canuckbot says:

It’s pre-season and the Habs are not the Leafs. Tinordi crushes Gyrba with a big hit and Parros stares everybody down.

• habs-hampton says:

personally, I never had a problem with the Gryba hit. I didn’t like McLeans’s comments after the game, but Gryba did exactly what I hope Tinordi or Murray will do in a similar situation. The injury was unfortunate.

• Phil C says:

The hit was illegal. He was suspended. He may have went for the chest but got nothing but jaw. A clear violation of rule 48 and caused a horrible injury. How can you not have a problem with one of our best young players getting knocked out of the play-offs with an illegal hit? I don’t get it.

• habs-hampton says:

you miss my point. I felt sick watching Eller lay on the ice, but I never thought it was dirty hit, but it was a horrible result. He didn’t target the head, but he did hit it. If Gryba doesn’t hit him there, he sits. Do you think PK would have let up? Yes, he got the head, so yes he had to be suspended, but every d-man in the league would have done the same.

• Phil C says:

If you watch the replay from behind the Sens net, the obvious play was to hit Eller on the front shoulder. Gryba adjusted to go for the chest/head. I will give you that it is a very fine line between an illegal hit and a clean hit, but Gryba crossed the line. Watch the Emelin highlight reel on the previous thread, and you will see a clinic on how to throw a clean hit. PK doesn’t let up, but he has never crossed that line yet either.

• Phil C says:

“Grybapocalypse Now!”

Your heart of darkness is showing.

Gryba to Parros: “Are you an assassin?”

51. Phil C says:

It has to be said that not only has the DD-Pacioretty-Briere line been the best so far, they have been the best by a lot. Its not even close. Clear-cut number one offensive line and 1st PP unit. And DD has been one of our best players along with Pacioretty.

• mksness says:

all that offence was generated from PK… not DD.

i noticed briere and DD on the ice more than not.

• Phil C says:

DD had an assist. But I’m not just talking production, it is the sustained pressure, generating opportunities, moving the puck, this line has looked consistently good in the pre-season, and DD has been a huge part of that.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with you. Perhaps DD is feeling a push to keep his job?

• Phil C says:

I’m sure he was told as much in the off-season. But he job is very safe right now as Eller has been…lets say underwhelming so far.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Eller is now 24. He has at best shown only flashes of brilliance thus far. He’s done nothing in the pre-season and is clearly behind Plex, Desharnais and perhaps soon Galchenyuk. Who knows, even Bournival might displace him.

If he continues his indifferent play he could lose his job to Galchenyuk.

• habstrinifan says:

??
      Maybe they are the best line but that only means our other ‘veterans lines’ have been under performing.

52. Hobie Hansen says:

@Burly – I know it has been beaten like a dead horse, but man does that Desharnias contract really tie up the Habs. With no Desharnais, Eller and Galchenyuk both play center and Prust is on the 3rd line.

I’m wishing Desharnais well this season and I have nothing against the guy!

I know what you mean Hobie, my issue isn’t specific to DD, but rather the fact that each of our top 3 lines have some smallish players thus making line juggling a little more difficult as the larger forwards have to be spread out. Hopefully things sort themselves out over the course of the season, through players deserving their minutes and perhaps MB starts to make some moves which will continue to reshape the style of team we have.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Eller is playing with the two Gallys so it’s not like he’s losing out.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Hobie

Re Eller/Galchenyuk

Perhaps we should remember that Eller really only showed some great stuff at the end of last year – more specifically the last 11 games, and was actually benched at the start of the season.
      While there is a belief he can be an excellent player, we need to see more of him on a longer term.

As for Galchenyuk, his performance on the wing was great last year, yet we must remember that there are many more defensive responsibilities playing center than winger and a greater maturity level/understanding is needed to play that position at the NHL level .
      And let’s not forget he is just a 19 year old with all of 53 NHL games under his belt

Love him or dislike him, Desharnais is a known quantity as of this specific moment with a ‘relatively’ inexpensive Cap Hit for the role he is being asked to play.

As the year plays itself out, ‘hockey nature ‘will decide who plays where….

53. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Am I alone in thinking Mr. Parros and Mr. Murray will be spending a lot of time watching games from the press box?

It appears that way, however, both aren’t 100% so also haven’t had the opportunities to show otherwise. Not a bad problem though, having guys like that whom can be inserted into lineup for games which require some extra beef.

Morning Jim!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Douglas Murray will play more than George Parros. I think he and fellow blueliner Francis Bouillon will both serve time in the press box though, although if Jarred tires they may scratch him once or twice to observe and recharge his batteries.

Douglas Murray brings size and toughness to the lineup, he can play #6 D and counterbalance our size disadvantage at forward. He’ll kill penalties, he’ll have a role.

George Parros’ role will be more strictly confined to being a matchup against teams that dress goons. He’ll be the neutralizing agent for Colton Orr, keep that guy busy so he doesn’t go looking to wreck Tomas Plekanec’s career.

• mksness says:

they might even be too slow for the press box :-p

Assuming Gionta does indeed start the season, safe to assume that he rejoins Plex and Bourque on that line. So where to move Prust? I understand his game is such that putting him on the 4th line is a reasonable assumption.

But part of me wonders if the kid line couldn’t use some added beef. I wouldn’t mind seeing Galchenyuk with Eller and Prust, but then where does Gallagher go? I don’t think it makes any sense putting Gallagher on the 4th line.

So I guess I am not sure I have any suggestions, just not quite sure Eller/Galchenyuk/Gallagher is quite ready yet. Hopefully they’re “Gelling” program will show otherwise shortly.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Burli

None of those lines are really etched in stone, and the Habs really don’t have a bona fide 1st line.
      It appears as though there will be internal competition for ice time and slackers or underperformers will see their minutes decrease – at least here’s hoping it is so.

• Habfan10912 says:

I was going to respond with a long post about making room for the new and finding ways to profit from removing the old but I’ve beaten that drum.
      I hate to sound like Timo but if MB takes the safe route and essentially gives the same jobs to the same players we know what we’ll get.
      It’s time to change the culture to rewarding performance. Whether its Tinordi, Bournival or whomever, it’s MB’s job to DEAL with it. I trust he will or should I say, hope.

Morning Bud.

• Kooch7800 says:

Tinordi is more ready than I thought he would be. I think if MB knew he was this ready Murray would not have been brought on. In saying that we always get banged up doing so for once it is nice to have some depth

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

The interesting thing to remember, however, is that teams do have to manage their roster sizes by sending players to the AHL. The reality is that Tinordi and Bournival don’t have to clear waivers therefore making it easier for them to be the ones sent down. As the team looks at present, I don’t want to see Tinordi sent down, and would rather see him start with the big club.

Bournival looked okay last night, but I would still rather Gionta in my lineup, and I think at present Prust brings more to the 4th line than Bournival can. Bournival i still believe becomes the first callup for injuries, particularly to the top 3 lines as opposed to replacing a Moen or Prust.

It sucks in many ways, that this can happen to a rookie, but we also can’t afford to lose players on waivers just yet. I still think this season is a building one, and perhaps a season where some of the older wood gets traded out as the season progresses making room for the youth.

• Lafleurguy says:

What’s wrong with sounding like Timo?

“May you live in interesting times.”

55. Maritime Ronn says:

A question for HIO.

Why does Coach Therrien continue to ignore Norris winner Subban when it comes penalty kill time?

Here’s understanding that Subban cannot be on the ice all the time, yet the big, strong, mobile Subban should have some Top 4 PK time.
    Last night, and once again, he was given the least PK time for all Habs Dmen with a mighty, grand total of…4 seconds.

This type of usage is a continuation of last year’s playoffs where Subban recorded the least amount of PK minutes for all Habs Dmen while Diaz and Gorges recorded the most as a 1st Unit – and the Habs PK was one of the worst during the playoffs. (one of the reasons Murray was signed)

During the season last year, Subban was also left out of the Top 4 PK Dman Unit – a PK that finished 23rd in the NHL last year.

Some may point to former Norris winner Erik Karlsson as being in a similar situation, yet EK is fly weight 175 pounds, while Subban’s size and strength at 217 lbs could certainly help in clearing some lanes and winning front of the net position.

I could understand if Duncan Keith and Niklas Hjalmarsson were the Habs 1st PK Unit, but Diaz-Gorges are not Keith-Hjalmarsson

By the way, Tinordi had the most PK minutes for all Habs Dmen last night.

• Un Canadien errant says:

This sounds like a job for Jessica Rusnak. She pinned down Jacques Martin on why Erik Cole wasn’t on the power play, she can get us some answers on this matter too.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ron. Not a clue. My guess is he’s determined this is an opportunity to manage his minutes. My other guess would be that MT has fallen in live with shit blockers. As UcE implies, why hasn’t the press asked him and if they have I’d love to know.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

You talkin’ bout the fella they gave the Norris to? Thinking MT must have had a hand in Subban’s success last year, to the extent of knowing what situations Subban could best contribute.

I agree that Murray is recognized as a prior top PK contributor and was likely brought in to provide such along with adding size and crease clearing to the mix.

I would be more concerned about Markov’s time on the PK than Subban. The other issue with the PK last year was a failure to win faceoff’s in the Dzone.

56. Un Canadien errant says:

This should have been an easier win against a Devils split-squad, given that the Canadiens iced a lineup that is largely identical to the one we should see next Monday for the opening game of the season. A win is a win, we shouldn’t look the pre-season gift horse in the mouth, but we would have expected the margin of victory to be more comfortable against the parade of AHL’ers the Devils were giving a look-see.

One thing I noted during the first period is how refreshing it is playing against a team like the Devils, one which prizes hard-work, defence and team commitment, but not goonery and mayhem. There were a couple of trepidatious mentions about the Devils’s fourth line, how it was constituted of goons Krys Barch, Tim Sestito and Cam Janssen, but they played it clean and fair. There were several confirmed sightings of Brendan Gallagher upright and being allowed to remain so after whistles. Indeed, when Martin Brodeur would freeze the puck, you’d see two or three Canadiens forwards near him, not interfering or in the blue paint, but close by, ready for a rebound. And they wouldn’t slash and dig at the puck, and in return the Devils wouldn’t cross-check, slewfoot, or try to wrench Brendan’s head off his shoulders. The whistle had gone, the play was over. Once or twice a Devil defender pushed a Canadien forward out further, but again, it was a comparatively civilized shove, hands on the chest, as opposed to gloves in the face or shaft in the teeth. Footage of this game should be used for the training video for officiating standards in the NHL, if there were such a thing as training videos or training for officials, or officiating standards or standards in the NHL.

I’ve voiced concern.d about how Daniel Brière will fit on the David Desharnais line, but tonight’s game provided some reassurance. Max potted two goals, and the three of them seem to be getting in synch.

Jarred Tinordi again caught my eye, and he is basically forcing his way onto the team. I at the outset preferred that he be sent back to Hamilton for more development, but he’s showing by his play that he is ready for NHL action. He’s not showing flashes of what he could become once or twice per game, but rather playing consistently solid hockey, showing smarts and maturity, and that he’s physically ready to stand up to fully-grown men. He showed confidence with the puck in the offensive zone, and his backcheck and effort when he was caught at the offensive blue line on a Devils rush was extolled by Gaston Therrien on the RDS postgame.

Earlier this summer, when Douglas Murray was signed, I explained that I’d feel more comfortable with Jarred staying up up with le Grand Club now that he wouldn’t have to be the sole physical presence on the blue line until December and Alexei Emelin’s return. With Douglas Murray on board, opposition forwards will have two imposing d-men to contend with, and won’t be able to key on one. I’m hopeful that Michel Therrien can mix and match his lineup based on the opponents and injuries, and offer Jarred achievable assignments and reasonable minutes, which based on his handling of Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk last season seems likely.

I was glad that Ryan White got the winning goal, a tip-in of a Jarred Tinordi shot. Whitey gets full marks for winning the draw, then being in the right place at the right time, in position to screen Martin Brodeur and cash in a rebound.

In our haste to make room for Michaël Bournival, who admittedly is having a great camp, some of us are preemptively ejecting Ryan from the roster. From his time in junior and later in Hamilton, Ryan has been a character player and coach’s favourite that teammates love, so let’s give the kid a chance. He’s a good option on the fourth line since he can play center and wing, win faceoffs, bang and crash and drop the gloves, and bring a dose of enthusiasm when needed. Last season was a difficult one for him, he had a couple of on-ice discipline issues, but let’s remember that he finished the previous season on IR with a concussion, so he might have still been in the fog like fellow concussees Travis Moen and Raphaèl Diaz. Let’s give these guys a clean slate, and spare a thought for Lars Eller who also took a wallop at the end of last season. If Lars is struggling early on, let’s not climb on his back right away.

And a quick shoutout to new Canuck Yannick Weber, who scored once on a slapper and added a powerplay assist in a 6-1 Vancouver win over the Chapter 11 Coyotes. Good luck to you this season Yannick.

———————————————————————–

• Cal says:

White’s goal was tipped in (using his stick) from a Tinordi shot.
      Other than that, a fine UCE report.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My recipe for being up at 3:30 in the morning: have a nap when you come home from work, miss the start of the game, be semi-somnolent throughout the game, jolted to consciousness periodically by an animated Pierre Houde, throw in the towel and go to bed at 2100 hrs. Voilà, wide awake before 4 AM.

Thanks for the correction on the Ryan White goal, I thought it’d gone in off his shin pad. I’ll watch the replays. I’ll edit my work.

EDIT: Ah yes, a tip in of a Jarred Tinordi shot, that’s what I meant… The lovely Jennifer Hedger set me straight. And you too Cal, take part of the credit.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You bring up a good and interesting point about officials standards.

I remember several years ago in an interview with Chris Pronger. He basically stated that players are always looking for an edge and will always test a referee’s tolerance – especially in the playoffs.

Pronger mentioned he pushed the envelope to see exactly what he could get away with and what he couldn’t…and that set the tone for the game-season or playoffs.
      He also mentioned that being a vet or a referee pet (not showing them up-whatever the hell that means) also bought some ‘tolerance.’

I don’t know how officiating can be standardized because of the human element, yet it appears the season and playoffs are 2 completely different games.
      So the monster question: How to build a team?

57. Cal says:

Questions. Was there a Boone live blog last night? If so, where the hell did it go?

58. Alvin says:

Not impressed. If Patches doesn’t score 2 goals Habs lose. If they have to depend on him to be the goal scoring machine of the team Habs won’t win many.
    Only bright spot is of course Tinordi but he can’t win games for them.
    Every one of the players on the Habs is going to have to step up their level of play simultaneously and consistently for the team to be winners in the division.
    I can’t see it happening.
    Fearless prediction. Ottawa cleans their clock, which will hopefully be a wake up call .

• Bill says:

Extreme negative over-reaction to pre-season win is extremely negative.

Maybe you are joking? I didn’t get it if so, sorry in advance. Except maybe you are serious?

“Fearless prediction” is definitely a cliche that should only be used in a joking manner.

I don’t know, I don’t want to take issue with anything in your post because I really can’t tell if it is actual opinion, joking, or trolling. Please advise!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Cal says:

The Habs aren’t that good yet. The EGG line was pretty much invisible, with only 3 shots registered. Teams will check that line more closely this season so it will be a tougher battle for them to be effective.
      With Pleks’ line being hampered a little by Prust, the only line left was DDs and they came through on the PP, not in regular play. White’s goal was a pleasant surprise.
      It will be a tough year.

59. Maritime Ronn says:

Interesting comments below about the pros and cons of Tinordi starting the year as a Hab.
    So many factors to consider, one being raw Dman numbers.
    While it appears the Habs are deep on D, that is certainly not the case as of this specific moment.

The Habs roster on the Official Habs Web Site shows 8 Dmen ( Tinordi is NOT included) yet of those 8, Emelin and Drewiske are on LTIR, and we don’t know the status of Douglas Murray whom we haven’t’ seen since the Boston game 8 days ago.

There may be no choice to make based on Dman availability.
    If Murray can’t play or isn’t ready, Tinordi becomes Top 6 by default regardless of excellent performance…and that is barring any further injury in practise, or the 2 games left against the Sens.

As for does Tinordi actually belong in the NHL?
    What more can he learn in the AHL playing against players that can’t make the 3rd-4th lines of other NHL teams?
    The AHL game is also slower, and Tinordi would have false ‘time and space’ – nothing to learn there.

NHL 3rd pair protected minutes along with PK time totalling about 15-16 minutes is the good choice to start.

• Bill says:

You really think that Tinordi is so great that he has nothing left to learn in the AHL after playing 67 games there?

At least you’re not one of the guys ready to make him the team’s number two dman already! “Top pairing”!!

Tinordi has already become the most overrated Hab in recent memory. It’s kind of a joke, because it’s obviously only because of his height.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Maritime Ronn says:

And where did I state that Tinordi “is so great”?

The point being made is exactly what more can he learn playing against guys that cannot make an NHL 4th line, and in a slower game where he will be given ‘false time and space.’

If he stays in the NHL, of course he will make mistakes.
        What Dman doesn’t?

Of course you don’t throw Tinordi to the wolves in a Top 4 position, yet Coach MT knows how to manage minutes and protect his guys as he did with the 2 Gallys last year

• JUST ME says:

I do agree with you Bill about Tinordi being over rated or wrongfully rated. People think he is not a kid,he will be able to play 82 games,he is a fighter and he is the Habs savior.

Typical of MTL fans who tend to do a bit of wishfull thinking. I would not be surprised or mind if he is sent back for the season in Hamilton it would not be bad for his future au contraire.

60. savethepuck says:

I honestly never repost, but I spent way too much time typing this for it to be stuck at the top of the previous thread.

“I have a function I have to attend every Monday night, got home and watched the game I PVR’d tonight. Also read all the comments. Sometimes I think that some posters have an opinion of certain Habs that no matter how good that player plays, they are going to manufacture something negative about him for some reason. What I saw tonight was that:
    -the PP with MaxP, DD and Briere looked very impressive to me despite the preconceived negativity of some towards DD and Briere before the game started.
    -Tinordi played a great game tonight starting with him stripping a Devil of the puck going in alone in the 1st period on a great play, and continued solid defensive play for the rest of the game without having to drop the gloves or throw numerous monster hits ( even though he played physical and made some good body checks ). I say this because of what I saw and not me thinking he deserves to be in the starting lineup due to being a 1st round pick and throwing a few monster checks.
    -despite not scoring a goal, I am more on the Bournival band wagon after tonight’s game than I was in earlier exhibition games against weaker competition when he was scoring goals. Unlike others, I can see a 4th line of Prust, White or Moen and Bournival against a lot of teams that we don’t have to ice a 4th line goon squad.
    -out of the 2 goals allowed, the 1st bounced off a player in front of the net over Carey’s head and I think off his back ( a fluke ) and the 2nd was a shot from the point on the pp that was redirected twice. That is to say that neither was Carey’s fault and I could not single out a single Hab who made a mistake on either goal.
    Overall I think it was a strong game by our Habs playing with a lineup more indicative of an opening night roster.
    BTW, I thought PK was a monster again tonight and I can’t point out a single Hab that had a bad game.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

61. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I can’t get over all the T(Toronto)SN talking heads excusing Kessel for using his stick like a machete. I don’t care what the circumstances or who is trying to goon you, a hockey player should NEVER ever use their lumber like a weapon. He should get 3 games and a fine. But he won’t. Weasel!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

62. sweetmad says:

I just read through the end of the last thread,all that ink and energy wasted on fights,there is really only a couple of things you can say about fights,it’s a fools game,you could ruin your life or die.I have no time for it,it’s not entertainment,and I think it’s depravity to watch it.
    GO HABS GO

63. christophor says:

Desharnais gets a lot of flak, which I don’t like, and he’s had a decent preseason. But it must be said that the supposed “chemistry” of the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere line is really just Pacioretty being a beast and one of the better left wingers in the game. If he were with Plekanec and Bourque we’d be hearing about the chemistry of that line, and if he were with Eller and Gallagher, same thing. This isn’t to knock Desharnais, just the praise of that line as a whole instead of Pacioretty in particular. See Boone’s earlier tweet for an example.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I totally agree with you. I predict that line doesn’t stay together for more than a dozen games.

The problem is where do you put Briere? I still think it was a bad signing (other than the obvious press/marketing benefits). Not that I don’t think Briere still has something to offer. But he doesn’t fit the Habs’ current roster.

I’d rather see Prust playing with DD and Max, but then who drops to the 4th line?

If Gionta gets injured again, this signing makes sense. If not, the Habs’ continuing problem of ill-matched lines continues.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think you’re underselling the chemistry angle on at least one aspect, namely what Max said about David when he was recalled from Hamilton, which is that David is the best player he’s ever played with. He wasn’t forced to play on David’s line, he was campaigning for it. Max never said anything of the sort when he played with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta.

64. jols101 says:

The EGG line played some uninspired hockey tonight. Gallagher played his best when Briere took that penalty and he got to play with Patches and DD for a few shifts. Otherwise, the EGG line looked like they were going through the motions. As a big fan of all 3 players, I am expecting big things from them. I am sure they will pick it up when the games actually matter. At least I hope they do.

• Marc10 says:

A bit of a slow night for those guys. It happens. They didn’t embarrass themselves and Gally did look good once he was reunited DD and Max.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not to be a harbinger of doom, but Lars Eller suffered a pretty serious concussion at the end of last season, maybe it’ll take him a while to get everything back in sync.

65. jols101 says:

Bergevin has to put on his big boy pants and make room in the top 6 for Tinordi. There is lots of spare baggage that can be moved.
    The notion that Tinordi is on the bubble is ludicrous. The only way he gets demoted is if Bergevin is too cowardly to admit he made a mistake is signing or re-signing one of the veterans.

• sweetmad says:

There is no way Tinordi should go down,he was nearly as good as PK,in a different way,loved the way he stopped that breakaway,he did not look like a rookie in any way,I don’t know what his time on ice was,but it seemed like a lot of minutes,and he looked like he could carry on for another game.

Overall it was a pretty good game, Patches showed he is ready to play,the GEG line could have done with a few more minutes,and the 4th line didn’t look bad,but I think it was a disservice to Bournival to put him there,but it was the only place for him.

The D was ok but seemed to get tied up,in front of our net,but not unhappy with any of it, although I would like to have,seen at least one shot at the empty net.

Can’t wait for the real thing though.
      GO HABS GO

• Marc10 says:

I didn’t like the Murray signing. He’s a bit long in the tooth. But we need depth on D and veterans with size can be useful in small doses as injuries are sure to come.

There’s no doubt we’re better with Tinordi in the lineup. As far as I’m concerned he’s a lock to make the team and fine to stay once Emelin returns. With Subban, Yemmy the Tank, Tiny, Cube and Murray… that’s a good amount of muscle. Something’s gotta give, but that’s where MB gets to earn his salary as GM.

• Fransaskois says:

It’s clear he’d do very well to spend another year in Hamilton, however big he might be and however well he’s playing. He still makes some boneheaded mistakes and his offensive game/outlet passing ability is nearly non-existent. He’ll likely get the chance to be a leader and become a better all around defenceman if he stays in the AHL. His skill level and ability are not at the point where he’s outplaying the veterans in anything apart from a height contest. His puck skills and offensive IQ HAVE to improve if he’s to be a top-4 defenceman.

We have the depth to let him develop, chances like this to maximize his potential come but once a career. There haven’t been any mistakes made, this is Bergevin’s plan and I’d like to see him stick to it. A two-way defenceman with Tinordi’s size that can play in ALL situations is a lot more valuable than your typical, big, shutdown defender. He’s got the potential, let him realize it.

• jols101 says:

He’s realized his potential. He hasn’t been rushed. He is just simply ready. He is a NHL Dman.
        Will he still improve and get better? Sure he will. Doesn’t mean he isn’t better today than 2 or 3 guys in our current top 6.

• Fransaskois says:

I don’t think he’s even close to realizing his potential as a two-way defenceman. In Hamilton he’s even had the chance to play on the PP and done relatively well. He is useless as an NHL defenceman playing in our system if he can’t make an outlet pass or get out of his zone. He still needs work, there needs to be more to his game than size and physicality.

Komisarek wasn’t that long ago….

• jols101 says:

Ahhh, there it is. I was wondering how anyone that watched Tinordi play can say he isn’t ready. You are living in the past. Tinordi isn’t Komisarek.

• Fransaskois says:

I’m using Komisarek as an example of another defenceman who lacked any type of offensive ability and was left incapable of filling a regulars spot in the NHL once he left Montreal (and Markov). In that way, they are absolutely similar.

It’s a real possibility. Tinordi doesn’t have those skills right now and their not going to magically appear. I’m not living in the past, I’m proposing that Bergevin prevent it from happening again.

No patience? No Cup.

• Marc10 says:

Double edged sword. Chucky did well last year and yet many thought he should be returned to Junior to dominate before making the jump. And then there’s the Gustav Nyquists of this world that spend an eternity in the AHL waiting to make the jump to the big time. And then there are guys like Gui! that were brought up too quickly.

It’s a tough call. Will the kid best be served by playing and rounding out his skills at a lesser level and will his progression be hampered or enhanced?

The Wings have this philosophy that they only let men make the grade to the big time. It’s rare that you see a minor leaguer get rushed by the Wings (DeKeyser being an exception that did well for them in the playoffs…)

Tinordi doesn’t look out of place out there. He’s not a great first pass guy, but I also don’t think he’s the disaster you make him out to be. I also don’t see real offensive upside that could translate to the NHL in his skillset. I’d bring him up. I think he’s a man and he could reach his ceiling just as fast playing with other men.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I’d love to see him stay. But i doubt he will. It costs the Habs too much against the cap if he stays. He goes up to over a million (MUCH less if he goes back to Hamilton). Meaning they’d have to shed salary. Murray gets paid either way, so don’t suggest dumping him.

They’ll send Tinordi down and bring him up periodically during the season. Hope I’m wrong.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not sure why you’re using such aggressive language. To haul out the word ‘cowardly’ in reference to Marc Bergevin, for something that hasn’t happened yet and is increasingly unlikely to happen, seems excessive.

66. sweetmad says:

Nice to see a game of hockey instead of a street brawl.
    GO HABS GO