P.K. Subban in the media spotlight again at Habs practice

After having a day off on Thursday, the Canadiens hit the ice Friday morning in Brossard for a practice as they prepare to face the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Forward Max Pacioretty was given a second straight day off the ice so he could visit his wife, Katia, and newborn son in Connecticut. Pacioretty, who went straight from Philadelphia to Connecticut after Wednesday’s loss to the Flyers, was slated to return to Montreal Friday afternoon. Lorenzo Pacioretty was born on Dec. 23, weighing in at 8 pounds, 14 ounces and measuring 21 inches long.

The spotlight after practice was on P.K. Subban, who was benched for 10 minutes in the third period of Wednesday’s 3-1 loss in Philadelphia after taking an unnecessary roughing penalty.

“That’s the coach decision,” Subban told reporters in Brossard about the benching. “Listen, we’re running a team here and that’s what the verdict was. I just took it and when it was time to play I just went out there and did my thing.”

On his penalty, which came after he punched the Flyers’ Sean Couturier in the face during a scrum at the end of the second period, Subban said: “It’s a scrum. Sometimes emotions get the best of you. You’ve got to control that, especially at the end of the period. But we did a good job of killing it off at the start of the third. But like I said, right now we’ve got the best team in the world coming into our building on Saturday so that’s where my focus is.”

When told by a reporter that many fans think Therrien is sometimes too hard on him in particular, Subban responded: “Listen, he’s the coach and at the end of the day he’s got to make decisions in the best interests of the team. We’re running a team here. It’s not P.K.’s team. It’s not Carey Price’s team. It’s the Montreal Canadiens and everybody has to fall under the same rules. So that’s what it is. And if that happens to somebody else, then the same thing will happen.”

When asked if he has any hard feelings, Subban said: “Listen, I’ve said it before. My job is to play hockey. That’s what I get paid for. It’s not to express my emotions or even give my opinion. That doesn’t fall under, I think, what I get paid for and the same goes for everybody in this room. We get paid to play hockey. So my job is get ready for the game on Saturday.”

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice that “I’ve got a great relationship with P.K.”

The coach added: “We communicate a lot. And he understands our decision (to bench him).”

Ryan White (upper-body injury) and Alex Galchenyuk (broken hand) didn’t take part in Friday’s practice. With Pacioretty also missing, here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked:

Briere – Plekanec – Gionta
Bourque – Eller – Bournival
Parros – Prust – Moen
Bournival – Desharnais – Gallagher

Emelin – Markov
Gorges – Subban
Murray – Bouillon
Diaz

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Therrien and Subban downplay benching, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Practice Notebook, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

The man who keeps Brandon Prust in one piece, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Prust’s new buzz cut not a hit with his girlfriend, by Dave Stubbs

Junior coach helped build Subban into an Olympian, by The Gazette’s Stu Cowan

Therrien did his job by benching Subban, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Was benching Subban a smart move? (video), TSN.ca

A little humour as tempers rise over Subban’s latest benching, Stu on Sports blog

Hickey on Hockey Notebook, by Pat Hickey

Blackhawks Gameday Buzz, chicagoblackhawks.com

Blackhawks strive to get back to their game, Chicago Tribune

Diaz will play key role with Team Switzerland in Sochi, Canadiens.com

Team Canada’s salary-cap hit in Sochi would be $150,923,332, Stu on Sports blog

1. Storm Man says:

The Canadian dollar is fine would enjoy knowing what the Montreal team would be called in the new Canadian league. As the NHL owns the Canadiens name btw.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Storm, you may be right, yet if you go and exchange some of your money for USD next week, your Banker may disagree.
      You might not be happy with that 91 cents US you received for the 1 Canadian dollar exchanged.
      In a few months, that 91 cents just may be 87 cents.

2. Storm Man says:

So what would the Montreal team be called in this new Canadian league?

3. Cal says:

With the nosedive the Loony has taken lately, I have to ask this. When does the dropping Canadian dollar start to hurt the NHL, considering the 7 teams garner 35% or so of NHL revenue? How much will it affect Quebec’s shot at a NHL team over the next few years?

4. nickster13 says:

As others have mentioned, I think it’s time for the cleanup.
    Time to start shopping the deadweight that have value, but we don’t plan on resigning or simply don’t want.
    For me, this means Diaz, Gionta, Bourque, DD, Moen. All of those players should be traded for prospects or picks, and we can fill the gap for half of those players in the summer, and have Eller and Pacioretty and Co. have a chance to carry the load for the rest of the way.
    I wanna see Bergevin do something prior to the trade deadline with his eye on the future, because personally, I think we are not as good as our record. I wanna see a stanley cup for our Habs, and this roster isn’t gonna do it unfortunately.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• CJ says:

I agree. I would also add Markov. He won’t be part of a contender in two to three years down the road. I love Marky, but I can’t imagine resigning him for another 3 years. Let’s move on now, as painful as it would be, with an eye on the future.

5. montreal ace says:

Just in case the Hawks start a blowout against the Habs tonight, I’m going to get a good movie to watch.

6. Mark C says:

Oh no not Danny Kristo talk again. He was a prospect I liked a lot and I was disappointed by his trade. I see some are massively overstating his value, especially relative to Christian Thomas. Let’s remember Danny is now 23 and isn’t ahead of Benny Pouliot, Dominic Moore, J.T. Miller, Dan Carcillo, and Brian Boyle.

7. Plekasuares says:

Game should be fun tonight GHG

8. 416erHabsFan says:

Maybe we should have Parros just stand in front of the net for our power play, aside from Gallager nobody else really does it. If he scores tonight I will go crazy, hey if John Scott can do it why not Parros.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Not such a crazy thought

Byfuglien did that in the playoffs when the Hawks won their first Cup, and Chara is playing that role more often than not on the Bruins PP.

Parrots with a Gordie Howe hat trick tonight? Maybe minus the goal and maybe minus the assist?

10. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The big story people are not focusing on is the fact that PK has not signed yet. Forget the extracurricular BS. This negotiation is probably very rough; especially after the last holdout. PK’s agent has to hit a home run after the last time. MB is probably offering around 7.5 and not max term. With the increasing salary cap, PK’s agent is probably at 9 million for 8 years…and not budging. With arbitration coming and a probable RFA offer, I would not budge either.

This is probably causing a lot of tension. No way is PK taking a home-town discount. Management is probably not crazy about having to pay PK so much money. The contract will probably cause some tension in the room with guys like Max making half for the next 5 years (no wonder he fired his agent). Management is basically screwed. They will lose in arbitration. They will have to match a RFA offer (which is guaranteed coming). The only other option to not giving him the money is trading him. I’m really surprised the “teams calling about PK” rumours have not started.

11. HabFab says:

Prospect Update – Stepping up to the plate;

– Tim Bozon did not have a successful start to the season on a rebuilding team. Traded to a contender and has really taken off with 10 goals and 10 assists in his last 14 games. Half of those without Reinhart, who was playing in the WJC.

– Brady Vail was having a good offensive season, for a player who is known as a defensive specialist. However, since his team traded it’s top offensive player Kerby Rychel, Vail has been tearing up the OHL with 10 goals and 12 assists in 13 games.

12. 416erHabsFan says:

RDS is reporting that Parros is in tonight, Don’t get me wrong I like Parros and everything but I don’t think this is the best game for him to return.

13. on2ndthought says:

I think MT coaches a very difficult game to play, and to play against. It tends to stifle individual creativity and daring a bit, but not as much as Martin’s style did. It rewards players who work hard on both sides of the puck, and requires great effort in supporting the puck carrier. It is hard work, and sometimes (like in Philly) when the rewards aren’t forthcoming the players stop playing it.

The Habs don’t yet have the developed talent to win without adhering pretty closely to a system (does any team?). MT’s main job now is to get every player playing hard for 60 minutes. If it happens, we will win more than we lose and make the playoffs. What happens then is a crapshoot for any team and I like our chances, because we have a good goalie.

LL and Patrick Holland can develop in the AHL. One of them can be our second line center next year (assuming we don’t re-sign Gio.

“a cannonading drive”

14. Danno says:

I think Therrien should have lashed out at the refs again instead of sitting Subban down because his little jab was part of a scrum and was not an obvious penalty.

Therrien should concentrate on trying to turn the refs into better persons.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Eddie says:

Subban did not over react to the benching. He is very classy and e says all the right things publicly.

So that is very fortunate, and there is no crisis.

I expect Subban to rally tonight. He always does, and he will be pumped to play the Hawks.

Also, Subban is still being judged as an Olympian by Team Canada.

I think Subban will have a great game.

• savethepuck says:

I love Subban and usually complain about the refs because it seems like they give PK penalties if he farts too loud, but that was more than a little jab Danno. It was a punch.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• JUST ME says:

Danno

With all due respect, your comment illustrates very well what i answered to one of your posts yesterday. You were blaming MT for not thinking team first when he took an identical penalty as the one you would have prefered for him to get today. Damn if he does, damn if he doesn`t…

I am not defending his reaction on the blown out of proportion events cause i think that P.K. did not deserve a treatment that many others on the team deserve but i am just showing that Therrien gets a different medecine every time as long as he is ends up guilty…

• Danno says:

It was tongue-in-cheek. Just a little jab to get things going… CHeers!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• NCRhabsfan says:

And in addition, how can you stand on the “team first” mantra when you completely quit on the team and keep the goalie in for the last minute of a game that you’re only trailing by two. Yes the Habs had been crap and yes they probably simply would have given up a fourth goal, but you have to try. What MT did was similar to an NFL coach punting while trailing by 2 on a fourth and three at the other team’s 35 yard line with a few seconds left in the game. Was a first down or hail mary a long shot, would a 53 yard FG be a long shot, yes and yes, but punting is a complete capitulation. MT punted.

• Mark C says:

C’mon the punch wasn’t a “little jab” nor was it “not an obvious penalty”.

It was a legit punch and a blatant penalty. Not trying to pile on P.K. because what he did is part of hockey. But let’s not making things up just to protect him from a very minor indiscretion.

15. Habfan17 says:

@ Mjames

Let’s see, you trade the UFA’s at the deadline if you have no intention of resigning them, regardless of playoff possibilities. Short term pain for long term gain.

You package some non impact players that don’t fit long term to add pieces that would. They would also be role players which are also needed.

You don’t trade Pk, Price, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, or Patches unless a GM makes a ridiculous offer. Which won’t happen.

Hypothetically, I see your point, if Edmonton would trade Hall and their first and 2nd round picks this year and their first next season, I would be tempted to move PK. It would be contingent in knowing that both Beaulieu and Nygren were ready to step in and be impact players, and they are not!

Having Hall. Galchenyuk and Eller as the centres would be awesome, all GM’s say that you need Size and skill down the middle, great defence and above average goaltending. This would make it possible for Bergevin to trade DD and Pleks and get more picks and prospects or possibly a 2nd line, power left wing.

Habfan17

• montreal ace says:

Thanks for the link Habfab, its a well written piece with some good observations in it.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Really interesting read. Makes me wonder if the reason I’m uncomfortable with MT is not the results he’s getting or the decisions he’s making but rather a gut feel that he is the wrong guy for a young team like this and is out-of-step with what his GM is trying to accomplish. Maybe he was just the best guy available at the time?

16. joeybarrie says:

I really dont understand a lot of the nonsense people are talking about.
    Sit PK and MT is the worst coach in the NHL. MB is the worst GM.
    MB took over and knew he was going to use the draft to build this team. He knew we had already a lot of excellent young players to build with.
    He has not lost a single good prospect, and has acquired a few of his own.
    I understand our need for IMMEDIATE Stanley Cup improvement, and our desire for a MONSTER trade that MB takes advantage of someone for us to believe he is doing a good job.
    Well let me tell you a little secret.
    MB IS DOING A GOOD JOB.
    In our system we have 3 potentially elite players in Beaulieu, Collberg and Fucale. We have 6-8 potentially top 2 line players in Tinordi, McCarron, Andrighetto, Hudon, Bozon, Lehkonen, De La Rose and Bournival.
    We currently have some young, excellent and well rounded players currently playing in Eller, Galchenyuk, PK, Price, Gallagher, and MaxPac.
    I understand we seem to think our spare parts will get us some future superstar, but I am afraid it doesn’t work that way. Bourque, Gionta and DD do not add up to Patrick Kane.

Lets keep in mind that while we did get a top 5 pick in the last few years, we made the most of it, and since then we have built a solid future and still competed as best we could every season.
    Its not a 6 team league anymore, and short of tanking for 5-6 years and getting really lucky what could be realistically do? (although that’s a loaded question as we are excellent at looking back and saying told you so)
    We have a lot of young talent, more than most teams.
    We have a lot of current talent. If you disagree with that, then why are there 9 current players going to the Olympics next month on our team?
    Currently sitting 4th in the East, considering we are ranked 10th in scoring……. I feel its pretty ridiculous to say our coach is not doing a good job.
    Every single season we complain we are a bubble team that will compete for a playoff spot. And sitting where we are, its astonishing to me people say the guy who is directing this team is doing a terrible job.
    Do I agree with every little thing he does?
    Of course not. But let me tell you who is better prepared and much more qualified than I and 99.9% of people out there.
    All I hear in here is how better Kirk Muller, Guy Boucher, etc, etc is for this team and how we were so dumb…
    Where is Guy Boucher right now?
    Kirk Muller was rumored to be getting fired two weeks ago.

• Eddie says:

I think he did lose a good prospect already when he traded Kristo. Will Thomas develop? Maybe? But Kristo was definitely a good prospect.

In fact, Marc Bergevin traded our best forward prospect we had in our system.

In fact, had we kept Kristo I have no doubt he would be replacing Galchenyuk for next 6 weeks.

Did we Have to trade him for reasons which are not clear to any of us?

Perhaps. But that s speculation not fact.

Danny Krsto is a very good prospect, so I really wish people would simply call a spade a freakin spade.

Bergevin has NOT had a good year. Bouillon. Murray. Briere. Kristo. These are all very questionable and I think BAD moves.

Can he do better? Why not? He has the training and he played 20 yars in the pros. But these moves are not a good start.

• chanchilla says:

Christian Thomas was expected to be the NYR Danny Kristo, it was a top prospect swap for a top prospect swap. Rangers fans treated thomas in the same regard that we held Kristo.

• CJ says:

Answer me this; if Kristo is such a great prospect, why has he not played a single game with the rangers this year? The rangers have had a ton of injuries, yet he didn’t play a single game. Further, he is two years older then Thomas. I’ve made the mistake in the past of overvaluing our prospects. Kristo is not the special player we thought he was. I’d say that deal was a wash. In fact, Thomas might end the better player in the long run.

Lastly, just an FYI, Kristo was never our best forward prospect.

• Eddie says:

I’ll take disagree on all points, there.

Kristo was our highest ranked prospect at the forward position and we traded him for a guy 5’9 who might develop or he might not.

That was a terrible trade.

• CJ says:

Kristo is 5’10”. I’m not going to bother with this further. With all due respect you are misinformed. I have no issue calling Bergevin out for the bad moves, but trading Kristo for Thomas was a lateral move. If you honestly think he was out best forward prospect, then you need to do some research. Again, if he was so good, don’t you think he would have been called up this year given all the injuries in New York? I’ve got nothing against the kid, but let’s be real.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Interesting thoughts.
      There is also agreement that MB is doing a good job (or not messing things up and trading futures) yet to really know will take another 5-7 years to see how it all plays out.

As for the Habs record, it is very good so far, yet dig a little deeper and you can decide how much of that is the Head Coach

1) Carey Price. He needs NO coaching except for Stephane Waite. He stands on his head more often than not, and camouflages a terrible system where 2 Dmen end up in the corner or behind the net at the same time more often than not.
      Replace that with Edmonton’s Dubnyk-Bryzgalov, and tell me where this team would be?

2) PK Subban. He has taken part in 30% of all Habs goals scored and 48% of all Habs PP goals scored….and we all know the love exchanged with the head Coach.

3) Plekanec. Another one that needs no coaching as he is a great low maintenance pro that plays the game at a high level both ways.

4) Fairness and equal treatment for all players-Team First-No Excuses.

Never in the time I have watched the Habs since a youngster in the late 1960’s, has that concept been so abused.
      There is absolutely ZERO equal treatment on this team considering priviledge or ice time.

• B says:

Subban has been on the ice for 204:32 of Montreal’s 258:18 PP time and has averaged 25:12 per game. Is it unusual that playing in such a high % of the teams TOI results in being in on such a high % of the teams goals?

–Go Habs Go!–

• montreal ace says:

Nice post Joey, I agree with most of what you said.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Good thoughts…The future will be bright.

24 cups and counting….

• JUST ME says:

If we take the time to read every comment they all aim to try to understand why the team is not a Stanley cup winner immediately. We can discuss all we want and debate on this guy and this guy but i think that the only variable or unknown factor is everyone`s expectations.
      Let`s go back before the season to do a reset.
      Let`s also go back to this management`s arrival and reset at that point in time.

I fail to see how we can think that this team would be better than it is if one move or two would have been different.
      We have a good team but were are not there yet. We will get to see it tonight . We need more time .

• NCRhabsfan says:

From my perspective it is still too soon to say whether MB has done a good job or not. I think it depends on whether you’re looking at it from a strategical or tactical viewpoint. He said he was going to build through the draft. I think that’s an outstanding idea and as far as I can tell, he has been trying to do exactly that. We won’t know for at least 2-3 years how that is going to turn out. It’s very rare that players get drafted and immediately have an impact at the NHL level. I didn’t like the Kristo for Thomas trade and still don’t, but at least he traded a prospect for a prospect, which seems consistent with his philosophy. I imagine his scouts saw something that suggested Thomas has more upside than Kristo.

What confuses things a bit is the more tactical stuff. It’s fine to build through the draft in the long term, but there is the question of icing a team that can compete in the short term. There MB’s record is a little more suspect. Pretty much every band aid he has applied has lacked the sticky needed to keep it in place until the saviours of the franchise mature into their roles as Montreal’s next generation of hockey legends. So far it is hard to point to too many moves that have actually made the team better in the short run. Prust and a new goalie coach might be his best claims to fame. Driewske, Murray, Parros, Briere, Bouillon have all done little. The long term contract to DD was also a mistake. Other than the DD contract though, most of these moves will not haunt the Habs for more than a year or two. He has been fortunate that the young core of the team with assistance from a couple of veterans (Markov, Pleks) have kept the team relevant, but most of those pieces were here when he arrived, so he really can’t take much credit for them.

The final thing on the MB report card is his choice of coach. Again it is hard to assess this one at this juncture. MT has gotten some results. I just wonder whether MT and MB are really on the same page WRT whether they share a vision of this team for the future. If so it isn’t evident from MT’s style, which seems to be largely concerned with self-preservation. MB needs a coach that is committed to the youth movement that is coming and to the player development required to fully capitalize on their potential. I’m not sure MT is that guy, and maybe he isn’t sure either. That could be a problem.

So, I think it is too soon to say MB is doing a good or bad job. We’ll know in five years.

17. habsfan1001 says:

we have a great player who the fans love and we seem to be trying to do everything we can to screw him up. it does not make sense

• habs-fan-84 says:

How is benching him for a few minutes after he takes a dumb penalty, screwing him up?

I think the fans have taken this more personally than Subban himself, who would readily admit that was an inopportune time to take a penalty.

18. Storm Man says:

5-1 for who?

19. Storm Man says:

I don’t think PK talks to MB his agents will be playing hardball. But my feeling is PK loves playing in Montreal with his buddy Price and would enjoy winning a cup here.

20. Storm Man says:

Trading the teams superstar does not fix this team going forward.MB has a huge mess to clean up and he is now set in the front office with great hockey people at his side. And I’m not talking about MT everyone here knows where I stand with him. MB now will start to fix this team one step at a time you trade get rid of or toss away the dead wood to start with and keep drafting.

21. Danno says:

Since nobody expects the Habs to win tonight against the Blackhawks, I am predicting them to surprise us as they often do with a 4-1 victory. And yes, you can book it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. montreal ace says:

If the playoffs started this morning, the only Canadian teams in, are the Habs and the Canucks. I don’t think sports net execs were thinking about this scenario when they signed their big TV deal.

• Strummer says:

It’s a 12 year deal. A lot can change pretty quickly considering parity and salary caps.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• NCRhabsfan says:

Not in the Bettman era. No Canadian team wins a cup as long as he is commissioner. Hasn’t happened in 20 years and won’t along as he reigns supreme.

23. mjames says:

I see where my earlier post generated the usual intelligent responses. Since my trade proposal seems to be so obviously wrong tell me what all the collective hockey experts suggest we do to improve this team. It seems that maintaining the status quo is the preferred option. That sures seems appealing!!

mjames

• Ozmodiar says:

If MB’s only 2 options are status quo and bone-headed trade, then I hope he goes with the former.

• Habfan17 says:

Habfan17

24. Storm Man says:

MB is doing a ok job he has hired some great hockey people in the front office coach aside.

25. Storm Man says:

I won’t waste my time with MT sucks anymore as he does and he is not a good coach for this team.

26. Storm Man says:

Stop with the PK deals

27. Storm Man says:

I think it’s time to cut bait with LL he is has become a bust.

28. Storm Man says:

Maybe the Bulldogs want to take a run at the cup so they need all hands on deck.

29. Eddie says:

With Galchenyuk going down, the logical call up would be Louis Leblanc, because he could be used in a top 9 role, even though he is not a left winger.

Leblanc is paying better in Hamilton, he has 9 goals and 11 assists in 33 games.

Is Leblanc injured, or are the Habs no longer interested?

This management group has no loyalty to Leblanc, given that Gainey picked him.

30. Storm Man says:

One can only wish MT won’t be behind the bench tonight.

31. WindsorHab-10 says:

In order to win tonight, we need to make Michel Therrien a healthy scratch.

32. Lagerhab says:

So we are playing the best team in the league and we are going with Parros in the lineup. I like Parros but let’s face it he is our least skilled player and hasn’t played a game in over a month. I just don’t understand the logic here. Chucky is out so we have less skill in that regard as well. Wouldn’t it make sense to bring somebody up who has skill and speed considering who we are playing? This all seems strange to me, can someone explain?

33. Storm Man says:

Sounds like a great deal Mark.

34. Storm Man says:

Well the line-up last game worked so well in MT mind why not roll it out again tonight.

35. Storm Man says:

This is why I don’t understand some on here saying let’s trade PK.that would put us back in the Stone Age.

• Mark C says:

I say we trade posters suggesting to trade Subban to other teams boards. :)

• HabFab says:

Hear, hear!!

• Maritime Ronn says:

I don’t believe Subban is going anywhere, but crazy things can happen in the NHL where some ownerships are not as financially strong as others.

Lets say the Preds GM Poile picks up the phone and calls GMMB and says he doesn’t have the money to pay Shea Weber $14 million for the next 2 years, and then $12 Million for the 2 years after that.

How’s about Weber for Subban straight up?

• Mark C says:

Nope. Would rather have Subban’s four extra prime years. Weber is going to 29 next season.

• Maritime Ronn says:

…but what if Subban told management he only wants to sign 5-6 years ( 2 of his RFA status + 3-4 of his UFA status years) and not that big long 8 years?
            Or what if Subban declines any Long Term Hab contract and decides to go to Arbitration?

Those are not unheard of possibilities.

• Mark C says:

Oh fine, then you have to consider trading, but this wasn’t the same premise used by the poster who posted the proposal, and I was just joking. At any rate, if I had to trade Subban I’d prefer trading for a package return than Weber.

• Ozmodiar says:

Subban going to arbitration wouldn’t preclude the Habs from eventually signing him to a long-term contract.

A recent example of this happening is none other than Shea Weber.

• Maritime Ronn says:

ozmodiar

Weber had the Offer Sheet from Philly that was matched.
            PK has the right to go to Arbitration if he wants. The Habs could also take him to Arbitration. In one case a 1 year deal would be done, in the other a maximum 2 year deal would be done….then PK is an Unrestricted free Agent.

Scary scenario for the Habs.

• CJ says:

I wouldn’t do it. We still haven’t seen the best from PK. Weber is not going to get better. PK is younger and represents both the present and future. As crazy as I might be, I’d be asking for more.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I don’t know how Weber can get any better as he is already a Top 5 in the NHL and plays in all situations.

• Habs24 says:

No way I would do that…they can keep Webber, he is not worth that contract…PK will be worth his!!

Drive for 25!

36. mjames says:

Trade Proposal

This team as presently configured is going nowhere. Sure it has some good players but if one is truly realistic we are maybe good enough to make the playoffs but we can not complete with the likes of Boston, Pitts, Chicago, St Louis, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Van to name just a few.

I propose trading Subban, Leblanc, rights to S Colberg and one of DD or Bourque for Dustin Byfuglien and Evander Kane. We get size and change the physical character of this team.

You have to give up something to get something.

mjames

37. Eddie says:

Many talk about Toews or Kane or Keith, and all are great players for sure. But my favourite is Hossa.

He’s just something else. Size, speed, hands, offensive zone, backchecking, defensive zone.

Imagine if you took the speed and defence that Plekanec gives you, and place that in Pacioretty’s body, shot, and offence.

That’s Hossa.

38. montreal ace says:

Lately when a trades are suggested, I can’t help but think of Mcdonagh and how good he would look on our blue line. The damage from these trades have done is incredible, so I hope if one is made, MB wins it.Last night McDonagh in a big game was plus2 and played 26 minutes.

39. D Man says:

I read on many sites comments about how Canada could field 2 Olympic hockey teams. I’m curious as to HIO posters views regarding who would be on “Team B”

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

40. adamkennelly says:

just for fun I watched the STL VAN game last night…wow – Habs have a long way to go – made the PHI MTL game from two nights ago look like a crappy AHL game.

• CJ says:

Agreed, the habs flyers game was brutal. As much as it pains me to say this, the leafs and capitals game last night was terrific. Lots of hits, great fights, intensity from both teams, goals and great goaltending. Just calling a spade a spade.

• IdleNoMore says:

I also watched the leafs and capitals game, and thought both teams looked like crap. No defense or goaltending on either team.

Every rush it seemed any shot was going to go in.

“He was chewing Juicy Fruit gum, I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss him”

• CJ says:

With all due respect we must have watched a different game. Both teams had over 33 shots on goal. Play was fluid, with odd man rushes and back and forth.

I’m not suggesting these are great teams, but it was a great game.

• habs-fan-84 says:

You’re going to see some high quality hockey tonight.

• Eddie says:

Hope you’re right, but I think all signs point to a defensive struggle.

First, Hawks are giving up goals lately and they will want to tighten up their defence going forward.

Second, Habs have declared publicly that they must play tight defence to win.

41. Cal says:

Good morning all. Will there be a trade before the Habs face the Cup champs?
    I just can’t shake the feeling that something is about to happen, personnel-wise.

• Lagerhab says:

I get the same feeling and said as much yesterday in a couple of earlier posts. The fact that they haven’t called someone up from the farm could also be an indicator.

• CJ says:

I don’t think so. I keep checking though, as I hope I’m wrong. I think major decisions will be made at the end of the month. We play nine more games in January. By the end of the month we will know if we are a playoff contender, or looking towards next season. Ideally we are a playoff team, but able to unload some UFA’s netting a pick or prospect along the way.

• boing007 says:

Maybe MB lacks negotiating skills. Maybe we should send him down to Hamilton. Maybe he isn’t up to snuff. Why didn’t Geoff Molson hire a seasoned General Manager instead of an untried rookie? Who knows?

Richard R

• CJ says:

Aside from the isles and sabres, nobody is making deals big deals. Maybe the issue isn’t Bergevin after all. I can’t imagine anybody being able to effectively trade away our used parts. On the bright side Bergevin inherited some great young talent, which forms our core, but he also has to deal with the size issue and a number of players who have little or no value on the open market. As unpopular as it might be, the one UFA who could net a decent return would be Markov. It’s something I’d at least explore. I am aware of the trade restrictions regarding his contract, but it wouldn’t hurt to kick some tires.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not so sure.
      Bergevin isn’t big on trading, and he’s said as much, I believe.
      Patience is the watchword, I think.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• IdleNoMore says:

Trade who and for what?
        Sorry guys we are stuck with this team until the deadline (if we sink like a rock) or till we get knock out of the 1st round.

42. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s looking for a big game from all the Habs.

If any of them can’t get fired up playing on a Saturday night at the Bell Centre against an Original 6 and reigning Stanley Cup champ, then they really don’t belong.
    ( Of course if the effort is there, the Dr. who wrote his thesis on ‘How I Will Make You a Better Person’ will take the credit…)

So what do we have with the Hawks?
    1st in Goals Scored – 4th on the PP – yet very vulnerable on the PK ranking 28th in the NHL.

Considering 5X5 hockey, the Hawks are basically tied with Anaheim as 2nd best in the NHL, while the Habs have not been very good in 5X5 hockey now in 20th place.

5X5 Hockey:
    Hawks: GF:117. GA: 82. differential: +35
    Habs..: GF:67…..GA: 73. Differential: -6

Concerning recent play, the Hawks have been anything but hot lately with only 1 win in their last 4 games.
    They have only scored 12 goals in their last 5 games.

They have also had some bizarre losses this year for the few losses they have played in.
    Lost 7-3 vs Leafs. Lost 7-2 to Nashville, and 5-1 against Colorado.

• Cal says:

It’s amazing how little we hear about how good a job Boudreau’s done with the Ducks this season.
      If PK has no problem with MT, why do we?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

PK is a nice kid, said exactly what he should say and MT can’t bench us. He still sucks as a coach and PK doesn’t suck as an NHL defenceman.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Maritime Ronn says:

cal

Boudreau didn’t walk into Calgary – he walked into a place that already had Getzlaf-Perry-Selanne with some good D and goaltending.

And imagine that! He’s playing a 19 year old rookie Hampus Lindholm almost 20 minutes on D, while the Habs young guys are buried in the AHL due to teacher’s pet Bouillon.

• Mark C says:

Just because Hampus Lindholm is NHL ready doesn’t mean Tinordi and Beaulieu are, or should be in the NHL. I’m glad both are in the AHL developing with big minutes. Their time with Montreal is coming soon and they need to be ready.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Habs are not the Hawks-Kings-Blues-Pens that are serious Cup contenders.
            If they were, and possessed a great Top 6, then there would be total agreement in what you say.

Why waste more time in the AHL?

Tinordi will be 22 soon and has played 100 AHL games.
            Tinordi played 14 games with the Habs and was + Plus 5.
            Beaulieu played 11 games with the Habs and was +7.
            Does that sound like trouble…along with bring size?

Will they make some mistakes?
            Of course they will, yet how else do you learn the NHL game?
            I’d rather have them around Markov-Subban-Emelin that down there….and I’d take them in a heartbeat over Bouillon-Diaz.

• boing007 says:

Bobby Dollas agrees with you.

Richard R

• habsguru says:

beauty MRon, hope you are enjoying our tropical weather today. keep the posts coming

• Mattyleg says:

We managed to make a pretty mess against LA…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. Mattyleg says:

Boy, was I wrong about the Oil not being able to come back!
    Good on ‘em.

Morning everyone!
    Looking forward to tonight’s game! Should be an exciting one!

I tire of hearing about the ‘great Chicago model’, because it is the same as the incredibly irritating Penguins ‘model’ which involves finishing last and getting two or three top – 5 picks.

How in heck is that even considered a good business model?!

I hate the positive payoff for mismanagement. The Oilers are illustrating what a joke the system is.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sportfan says:

Remember though the Pens got Malkin and Sid and the Hawks got Toews and Kane, but both teams landed decent players through trade as well! Hossa, Neal, Kunitz and then they signed and drafted guys who would be good for the third and fourth lines. Edmonton has over drafted first line players with no D, or Goalie.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Mattyleg says:

That’s true, but don’t you think that it’s easier to acquire players when you’ve already got a bunch of top picks?

And I agree with your assessment of Edmonton. Pretty stupid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lafleurguy says:

Edmonton may be two or three players away from being a solid team. Habs don’t dominate against them. Those two or three players would have to be like Plekanec, and not just another allotment of flashy 18 year olds.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• JF says:

Agree on that. I absolutely can’t stand that a team is allowed to sit at the bottom for years on end and get one high draft pick after another. And the Oil are about to do it again. If they draft another speedy winger, we’ll know – if we didn’t already – their GM is an idiot.

The rule for the order of draft selection sucks. It’s bad enough rewarding failure once, but to allow teams to keep failing and keep being rewarded is insane. There should be a rule whereby you can only have one first overall pick per decade, one top-five every five years, or maybe every three – or something like that. At any rate, some mechanism whereby a team that drafts first overall one year automatically goes to the middle of the pack the next, no matter where they finish in the standings.

• Mattyleg says:

I say a total-luck lottery with all teams with one ball in the cage.
        And it’s selected live, not beforehand with big cards etc.
        That always stinks of fixing…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maritime Ronn says:

Yes, the Hawks lucked out with Kane #1 Overall and Toews #3 Overall, but it’s much more than what you state or believe.

It’s not Chicago fault that St.Louis chose Eric John son at #1 and Pittsburgh chose Jordan Staal at #2 ahead of Toews.

The Chicago model is a great organization that can identify talent, then a great Player Personnel department that makes sure the players learn properly.
      Then to have the smarts to make great trades and set up an atmosphere where UFAs want to land.

Hossa signed as a UFA
      Sharp was stolen in a trade with Philly
      Oduya was stolen in a trade from Winnipeg
      Keith was chosen 54th overall in the draft
      Seabrook was chosen 15th overall
      Hjalmarsson was chosen 108th
      Crawford was chosen 52nd
      Byfuglien – a big part of the 1st Hawks Cup was chosen 245th
      Bickell was 41st
      Saad was 43rd
      Shaw was 139th

Having a great coach and staff also helps….

• Mattyleg says:

Good points, but I don’t think that they necessarily lucked out.
        If they have two top-3 picks, luck doesn’t come into it: finishing at the bottom of the league does.

It’s true, their drafting has been very good apart from the top picks, but having those picks certainly helps your team overall, and raises the performance of their teammates. Mike Komisarek is a good example of this!

..and Hossa signed as a UFA because of all the talent that was there.

So I guess it’s a little from column A and a little from column B!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Habs also have 1 Top 3 pick, yet instead of giving him opportunity as does Patrick with MacKinnon, or Ruff with Nichuskin or Vigneault with Kreider – ALL now playing on the 1st line with the best…or Barkov-Monahan…the young Galchenyuk is being taught how to be a better person.
          Of course the Habs coach knows more than Patrick Roy or Vigneault, Ruff….

• IdleNoMore says:

How’s nail doing?

• Mattyleg says:

I was hoping this wouldn’t degrade into a ‘Therrien Sucks’ conversation.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. Habfan10912 says:

Can anyone here offer any explanation as to why the Habs have not called up a forward? Is it a Cap issue?