P.K. Subban in the media spotlight again at Habs practice

After having a day off on Thursday, the Canadiens hit the ice Friday morning in Brossard for a practice as they prepare to face the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Forward Max Pacioretty was given a second straight day off the ice so he could visit his wife, Katia, and newborn son in Connecticut. Pacioretty, who went straight from Philadelphia to Connecticut after Wednesday’s loss to the Flyers, was slated to return to Montreal Friday afternoon. Lorenzo Pacioretty was born on Dec. 23, weighing in at 8 pounds, 14 ounces and measuring 21 inches long.

The spotlight after practice was on P.K. Subban, who was benched for 10 minutes in the third period of Wednesday’s 3-1 loss in Philadelphia after taking an unnecessary roughing penalty.

“That’s the coach decision,” Subban told reporters in Brossard about the benching. “Listen, we’re running a team here and that’s what the verdict was. I just took it and when it was time to play I just went out there and did my thing.”

On his penalty, which came after he punched the Flyers’ Sean Couturier in the face during a scrum at the end of the second period, Subban said: ”It’s a scrum. Sometimes emotions get the best of you. You’ve got to control that, especially at the end of the period. But we did a good job of killing it off at the start of the third. But like I said, right now we’ve got the best team in the world coming into our building on Saturday so that’s where my focus is.”

When told by a reporter that many fans think Therrien is sometimes too hard on him in particular, Subban responded: ”Listen, he’s the coach and at the end of the day he’s got to make decisions in the best interests of the team. We’re running a team here. It’s not P.K.’s team. It’s not Carey Price’s team. It’s the Montreal Canadiens and everybody has to fall under the same rules. So that’s what it is. And if that happens to somebody else, then the same thing will happen.”

When asked if he has any hard feelings, Subban said: “Listen, I’ve said it before. My job is to play hockey. That’s what I get paid for. It’s not to express my emotions or even give my opinion. That doesn’t fall under, I think, what I get paid for and the same goes for everybody in this room. We get paid to play hockey. So my job is get ready for the game on Saturday.”

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice that “I’ve got a great relationship with P.K.”

The coach added: “We communicate a lot. And he understands our decision (to bench him).”

Ryan White (upper-body injury) and Alex Galchenyuk (broken hand) didn’t take part in Friday’s practice. With Pacioretty also missing, here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked:

Briere – Plekanec – Gionta
Bourque – Eller – Bournival
Parros – Prust – Moen
Bournival – Desharnais – Gallagher

Emelin – Markov
Gorges – Subban
Murray – Bouillon
Diaz

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Therrien and Subban downplay benching, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Practice Notebook, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

The man who keeps Brandon Prust in one piece, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Prust’s new buzz cut not a hit with his girlfriend, by Dave Stubbs

Junior coach helped build Subban into an Olympian, by The Gazette’s Stu Cowan

Therrien did his job by benching Subban, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Was benching Subban a smart move? (video), TSN.ca

A little humour as tempers rise over Subban’s latest benching, Stu on Sports blog

Hickey on Hockey Notebook, by Pat Hickey

Blackhawks Gameday Buzz, chicagoblackhawks.com

Blackhawks strive to get back to their game, Chicago Tribune

Diaz will play key role with Team Switzerland in Sochi, Canadiens.com

Team Canada’s salary-cap hit in Sochi would be $150,923,332, Stu on Sports blog

1. Sportfan says:

So the Als signed Dave Stala that’s pretty cool

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Morning everyone, game day indeed. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Gotta run, my brother needs a lift to the airport as he is on his way to Haiti to do some building/construction work.

Perhaps our Habs surprise us tonight with a great TEAM effort, however, that theory of no I iin team, was kind of burst by Parros’s tweet the other day. :)

CHeers!

Good morning boys and girls! Nice to see this January thaw in full swing , when I got up.!!

4. twilighthours says:

Buenos dias.

I have a good feeling about tonight’s game. I think we are going to win in a barn burner.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Twi. I hope you’re right. The team always seems to play their best against the best.

My worry is Price. I hope that tweaking of the groin is just, well to steal words you probably hear from your young ones, itsy bitsy tweak. If he pulls a groin the decent in the standing will make the Leafs fall look mighty small.

• CJ says:

Trusting it’s only minor. Fingers crossed though. He will need to be huge for us, not just tonight, but down the stretch if we hope to secure a playoff spot. Go Habs!

5. John Q Public says:

–. — / …. .- -… … / –. —
    ❤ ♥ ❤ ♥ ❤ ♥ ❤ ♥ ❤ ♥ ❤

6. Lafleurguy says:

# GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO GA SV% G
    31 CAREY PRICE 35 35 2.22 20 11 4 2 .928
    # GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA SV%
    50 COREY CRAWFORD 30 28 2.49 17 7 5 0 .910

Carey Price mustered his stats with a weaker team. Luongo starting ahead of Price would be a political decision.

7. Lafleurguy says:

Forwards & Defensemen
    # POS PLAYER GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S
    20 L BRANDON SAAD 46 15 16 31 14 10 1 0
    65 C ANDREW SHAW 44 11 10 21 8 35 4 0 1
    29 L BRYAN BICKELL 32 6 2 8 -5 12 0 0 1

Shaw in the 5th, and Saad in the 2nd, came from Nathan Beaulieu’s draft year (2011). Bryan Bickell is not injured.
    The top 5 of the scoring leaders list, and all of the stats of the Hawks are impressive.

• CJ says:

Bickell’s playoff last year made him a very wealthy man. I’ll be the first to say that I thought he had turned a corner. Scared to think what he might have gotten on the open market….

• Lafleurguy says:

His ice-time no doubt, will go up considerably in the “second season.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• CJ says:

Agreed. I’m reserving hope that Briere can return to form in the playoffs. Some guys are just better when it matters most. For everyone talking about Ryder this year in Jersey, I wouldn’t give you five cents for that kind of player. He absolutely disappeared last year in the playoffs when we needed it most. It’s fine scoring goals in the regular, but the playoffs are a different animal. The Senators will never win with Spezza for this same reason.

Many people are quick to say Bickell was a flash in the pan. He had a strong regular season last year as well. First year pressures of a new contract? Perhaps he is trying to play a game which isn’t his. Hawks are doing fine, I am sure he will be a beast for them in the later stages of reg. season and a BEAST in the playoffs.

I hope McCarron becomes our Bickell.

8. CH Marshall says:

Saturday 3am theory:

Media guys don’t like it when HIO commentators (who happen to buy the Gazette and click on links) pour heavy criticism on the team or share their opinions- because it means the rest of media make up stories on the Habs, and so they are forced to go along with the story

9. Plekasuares says:

NCAA is the much better path these days imo.

• CJ says:

I would disagree with the notation that it’s a much better path. Chris has made some great points below. Ultimately if you are targeting the quickest path towards the NHL the CHL makes sense. If the learning curve is likely to be longer and you wish to compliment your athletics with an education then the NCAA is great. The CHL will pay for school, but a large percentage of the CHL players are not student athletes, whereby all NCAA products are student athletes.

10. Chris says:

Regarding Michael McCarron and the OHL, I get a little tired of always hearing that the CHL is the best development league in the world. A general statement like this is not actually true.

Different leagues are going to be optimal for different styles of player. The knock on the CHL is that they have much less practice time than NCAA hockey or European leagues. For players that are a little raw, it has often been stated by scouts and managers that the NCAA is a perfect league for a player to develop in because they will get the ice-time and gym time that they need to work on their game.

On the other hand, the CHL is probably the best league in the world for getting game exposure. Teams typically play 60-70 games plus playoffs, which dwarfs the comparable numbers in the NCAA and some European leagues.

Another factor is who the player will be developing against. In the CHL, the majority of the players are aged 16-19 years old. They are typically smaller guys developing into their bodies. Conversely, the NCAA has older guys (age range of 18 – 25 years old is pretty common) and the players there are typically more physically and mentally mature, as well as often being more experienced. In Europe, there is more of an emphasis on skating and stick-handling skill, while North American leagues tend to be much better at developing physical play.

These are, of course, all generalizations. But my interpretation of the McCarron situation is that he is simply on the wrong team. London is going for the Memorial Cup, so they really can’t afford to give McCarron the ice time he needs to blossom this season. His ice time has been somewhat limited in many games, as he often finds himself on the 3rd line, and his exposure to top linemates has been disappointingly low this season.

Dale Hunter develops players very well, but the Knights are also ruthless. I am sure that Bergevin was not anticipating McCarron playing on the third line when he went to London. He might have been better off on a team like Belleville, Barrie, Windsor or especially Plymouth, all teams with good track records when it comes to developing NHL-calibre players, but all going through a rebuilding year that would have allowed them to give him more leeway to play his way through his struggles.

The discussion is somewhat moot at this point. He can’t go the NCAA anymore, and the trade deadline has just passed. At this point, it looks like McCarron is going to serve as a depth forward for the Knights. With Smith, Josh Anderson, Brett Welychka, Max Domi, and Matt Rupert all playing far better than McCarron right now, McCarron is at best 6th on the Knights’ depth chart among wingers, a place that is a little more secure with the long-term injury to winger Christian Dvorak.

• CH Marshall says:

I had a thought tonight that it would be good for McCarron if he were traded to another team. Knights are just too stacked

• Le Jadester says:

Well said.

Habs, OLE !

• Eddie says:

Chris, you make great points as usual.

I watched every shift last night and I won’t bore you with all the details because I couldn’t get past the fundamental problem with his game;

He needs to get his back lower to the ice, straight but lower, which will allow his knee drive to increase in power. He stands too tall on his skates.

Then, once he makes this adjustment, he needs to get his feet moving, consistently, all over the ice, because once they stop he’s a definite speed disadvantage. Big men just do not start as quickly as small men.

This is why you rarely see 6’6 forwards make it to the NHL.

This is why these big men are long term projects.

This is why these big men, like Justin Auger, who was clearly quicker and better at 6’7 last night, are drafted in the 4th round when projects should be drafted.

Finally, let me add this. McCarron is not nasty. He plays like a fine young man who is very polite and respectful. That’s not a compliment.

He should have gone to the NCAA, 100% true, Chris, because he needs skill development work big time, and he could have gotten that in a shorter season with more practice.

Here’s my suggestion for the Habs.

Get McCarron together with Pacioretty in Connecticut and let them train together. Max has almost perfect posture over his skates and ridiculous knee drive, which has made him a uniquely fast skater in a big body.

Then, once the posture is corrected, he will need to incorporate that into his game next summer. He will be older, stronger and quicker.

But someone needs to work with him because he is not even a good major junior player at this point. Far from it.

• Chris says:

Justin Auger is an interesting player. I’ve watched a lot of him over the past 3 seasons here in Guelph, and words cannot express how terrible of a skater he is. One thing that you really notice when you go to a hockey game versus watching on TV is acceleration. Top-end speed for most hockey players does not really differ all that much. You of course get some real speedsters (guys like Russ Courtnall, Michael Grabner, Darren Helm and Michael Bournival) but for the most part guys are moving at comparable speeds.

It is generally acceleration/quickness that really differentiates players, and this is where most big men really suffer. Justin Auger has absolutely no quickness in his feet. McCarron is better in this regard, but he turns like a laden oil tanker and he really tries to coast around to maintain speed because his acceleration is very much below the average even in the OHL. When you coast like that, you are frequently out of position. This is what has always struck me about McCarron in the games I’ve seen him play here in Guelph…his positioning is heavily compromised.

Can he be a good player? Sure. But that time is years away, as it always was. This year ultimately won’t hurt him that much, but I think him going to London really raised expectations about the calibre of his skills. Like you, I think he remains a below average junior player no matter how you dissect his game: his skating is well below average, he does not play a particularly physical game (surprisingly, given his reputation), and he’s not scoring.

I understand that he is adjusting to the league, but the comparisons to Jarred Tinordi are a little overdone. Tinordi, despite his struggles in his first season, was still getting loads of ice time. Tinordi was still filling out his frame: he was 6’6″, but was only around 200 pounds when he first came to the OHL. He was adjusting to that body.

McCarron is very well developed. At almost 240 pounds, he has no weight left to add. He’s got 50-60 pounds on most of his peers, so he should be absolutely dominating the physical game, yet he routinely gets knocked around by much smaller players.

11. FormalWare says:

Alexei Emelin and Habs’ 2014 first-rounder for Jordan Eberle.

What think you, HI/Oers?

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I would make that trade in a heartbeat!

• FormalWare says:

I don’t propose it Only because Eberle had two sweeeet assists vs. Penguins, tonight. I really think Emelin could be a solid piece for an Oilers team who sorely need help on defence. And he’s signed for a number of years at a reasonable rate (with the cap set to go up significantly).

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• The_Truth says:

A 20th pick overall and a 4th (maybe) or 5th Dman for Eberle. Wouldn’t even be close to getting it done.

• Steven says:

If that were ever considered by the Oilers, MB would be a fool not to pull the trigger.

They get a good stay-at-home D-man that they need, plus a pick that could turn into something good, and we get a proven goal scorer, which we sorely lack.

Of course, unless that pick ended up being great, we’d be fleecing them badly. I, of course, have no issue with that.

• JUST ME says:

Ah yes ! We are getting close to that time when we will read the usual why did they sign that guy and give him all that money comments as we did with D.D. Predictable in a way…

G.ms are not blind. They know what`s happening with other team`s players and know about Emelin. Why would our temporary or permanent rejects be valuable to others ?
      Never trade away a first round choice, never.
      What would the Oilers do with it anyway ?
      Why would the Oilers trade Eberle of all players ? He is the best by far ! I would take that guy anytime on my team but why would the oilers SETTLE for that trade ?

• CJ says:

What is the basis for this trade? There is no possible way Edmonton would even consider this deal. Actually, there is no way Bergevin would even ask.

12. Just A Guy says:

If only our D in Hamilton was a year more seasoned. Edmonton could use a Gorges type defense man on their roster :)

13. B says:

Bozon scores his 17th in a 4-3 loss to Edmonton. That’s 5 goals in his last 5 games.

–Go Habs Go!–

14. Coach K says:

If memory serves me correct, Therrien couldn’t figure out another stud player a few years back and got his a$$ fired from an eventual Stanley cup winner. Now its beginning to appear as though the coach has failed to learn from his own past. If Therrien is not a hypocrite and his focus is truly team-first as he claims, then how was sitting his best player in the best interest of the team? Let’s be honest…that genius move was all about showing PK who is the boss and little else. It’s becoming very clear who has the ego problem and its not PK.

Me thinks the kindly coach better start directing his ire toward the overpaid, underachieving vets who have been passengers on this bus for far too long. They need to be made an example of and held to account. Not the guy who never takes a shift off.

Molson and Bergevin must soon make a decision on PK’s future with the Club de Hockey Canadiens. They only need to ask themselves one simple question, “Which of the two is the most likely to lead this team to the cup?” The answer is obvious to me. What is also obvious is that if things continue on their current path, only one of them will be around the next time the Lord Stanley’s mug is paraded down “the usual route”. I just hope they make the right decision and do it sooner than later.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Bravo well said.

• Habilis says:

+76

Unfortunately, I’ve come to the conclusion that Bergevin is just fine with the current dynamic. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don’t see him firing MT anytime soon.

• Steven says:

I really don’t see Subban’s benching that way. As far as I’m concerned, it was exactly what it came off as: Subban took a really dumb penalty that the team was worse off for taking(whether it was a reasonable call or not is another story entirely), and MT punished him for it. Was it a bad move? Absolutely. Was it MT trying to assert his authority? I highly doubt it. He’s the coach. He doesn’t need to.

15. GL says:

Bring in Erskine. If we can’t win games we’ll win fights.
    Blackhawks waiting Patiently for their practise with the Habs Saturday night.

16. Wintercount says:

In the Philly game during a break in the action, before the linesman was ready to drop the puck, the camera panned in on a Habs centerman hunched over having a good laugh with Giroux. Nobody see that?
    Deux poids deux mesures.

17. punkster says:

Goes with a nice single malt to soothe the soul:

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

18. Mattyleg says:

Good to see Toronto drop points tonight!

Rooting for Edmonton now… don’t think it’ll do me (or them) any good.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CH Marshall says:

Tuning into the game. Don’t understand how a team with so much talent can be so sh*tty

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

It’s a mystery, Edmonton just can’t seem to find the right pieces to put together. I was at the Tampa Bay game last weekend, they had Hall, Eberle and Hopkins playing together and they just dominated every time they were out there. Other nights … nothing. I would take Taylor Hall in a heartbeat though, phenomenal skater and plays with an edge.

• Habcouver says:

MacTavish is already talking about not trading his draft pick this year. Tank?

Waiting patiently for #25

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

If I had a chance to get Aaron Ekblad I wouldn’t trade it either. That kid is going to be a franchise defenceman. Yes, yet another tank.

• Habcouver says:

Ryan Murray could have helped. I think Yaks needs a new environment.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Sportfan says:

Its only worth a tank if they will actually go for another dman, remember a few years back when the Islanders only drafted D at this point the Oilers should just risk that lol Or at least first second rounds they go for D, or goalie in second or third. Cause I mean now its just sad how this team keeps losing I feel bad for Oilers fans.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Yakupov has tons of talent and actually has a pretty good attitude, unfortunately the Oilers rushed him along. There is something to be said for spending time in the AHL and learning how to play the game at both ends of the ice. His +/- I believe is the worst in the league.

• CH Marshall says:

I also think their coach is overhyped and a product of the Leaf machine. Personally I think the Oil have the same problem we have at times: not great coaching, but more importantly a mindset not set on winning. If they had a coach that could fire them up, they’d dominate. But tanking is always easy and attractive. Winning is a hard road.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I agree that Eakins may have been over hyped, he has said some stupid things this year but he also stepped into a huge challenge, the Oilers have become too used to losing which is a very bad thing, tough to turn that around.

• Habcouver says:

Yak is a minus 1 tonight but go Oilers! Pens blow lead.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Sportfan says:

Toronto Sucking is always awesome!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. Sportfan says:

Not a huge fan of basketball but this has to be one of the funnier things to come out of the NBA!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

When the Leafs can’t even win the fights you know they are in trouble. That Wilson kid is exactly what the Habs need.

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Remember debating whether McCarron should have gone to college or major junior. Was for major junior but after watching tonight…not so sure. If he was not going to play much then what was the point??? Will judge next season but so far looks like a waste….could have been working on his skill-set instead.

• jols101 says:

Ya cause playing in the OHL he can’t work on his skills. They practice every day that they don’t play. There isn’t a league in the world better for young aspiring NHL’ers to practice their skill set.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry but nothing beats playing. You can practice till your legs fall off but if you don’t play under pressure there is no point.

• B says:

Last season, Western Michigan University (where McCarron might have gone to play under Andy Murray) played 38 games (28 regular season + 10 playoff). Tonight was his 38th game this season for London with a lot of games still to go for them.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CH Marshall says:

Totally. College hockey may not be at the same level of OHL, but it would gave given him time to work out, eat, stable routine, practice, not too much pressure to perform, and lots of ice time. I’m sure he’s learning lots under Hunter, but we’ll see how it turns out. I think it’s going to take a long time for him to reach fruition

22. montreal ace says:

The Habs better smarten up, in our next 5 games 4 are in our conference. There could be a real log jam in the conference if we don’t win more then a few.

23. montreal ace says:

The Bruins and Tampa each have a college free agent they signed in 2013, Krug and Sustr. I think its a wonderful way to get a player, who can help you almost right away. Is there a player this year that the Habs can pick up this way that is worthwhile.

24. ProHabs says:

Are there any links up yet on the 2 fights in the Toronto Washington game.

25. Plekasuares says:

Hey! Our next coach can be Randy Carlyle!!!!

Jk

Regarding watching which teams win lose as we scoreboard watch. If our team continues to struggle we are going to soon need to cheer the Bruins, penguins etc to beat those below us. Lets hope it doesn’t get to that.

27. 1010 says:

Leafs lose again. It`s all good.

GO HABS…

28. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Regulation wins… That’s the ticket. And if you’re going to have overtime and skillz competition, then go to international tournament scoring: 3 points for a regulation win. 2 points for an overtime win, 1 point for a overtime loss, 0 points for a regulation loss. Simple. Fair.

29. Reflektor says:

7-1, 5-3, 6-1, 3-2. No matter the score, the sweet smell of a Leafs loss.

30. CJ says:

Bulldogs win, Leafs lose. Great night!

31. AliHaba says:

Loafs played better but still lost…snicker snicker.

32. jols101 says:

Dogs hold off Amerks for the 2-1 victory.

Dogs up 2-1 late in 3rd period.

34. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Joel Ward! Hate the Caps, but hate the Leafs more!

35. CJ says:

3-2 Washington.

36. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Mccarron report (after 2 periods)
    -2 +/-
    No points
    No SOG (I think)
    1 penalty
    ~ 6-7 mins ToI

General impression: As others have said, the young man is a project. Who am I to disagree? I’m no scout. It’s true he moves well for such a big lad. My concern is that he seems to have only one gear. But it’s just one game. Not fair to judge on such a small sample size, although this is the second game I’ve seen him play and the first one wasn’t much different in terms of his performance.

37. jimmy shaker says:

Johnny Erskine:

Now there is a D-man that would be beautiful on the habs blue line.

Shaker out!

38. AliHaba says:

Toronto and Washington tied at 1 after 2. In the fight department….not so good for the Laffs.

39. punkster says:

First Ashton then Orr.

Loafers lookin’ pretty bad on the fight card tonight.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

40. AliHaba says:

What a scrap between Orr and Erskine!

41. Danno says:

Thank you Mr. Erskine!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Now Orr and Erskine with a huge heavyweight tilt, Erskine definitely got the upper hand.

Why does Carter Ashton remind me of Nick Kypreos? Fights every game and never wins. His nose may never work again, looks like he took one off the beak again.

44. Steven says:

Can I ask why most people think Subban will be Team Canada’s best D-man?

He’s great and all, and he’s the reigning Norris Trophy winner, but there’s no way he’s Canada’s best D-man. My personal order is Weber, Keith, Subban, and I’d say there’s reason to believe that at least Keith will outplay our guy, with respect to ice size or otherwise.

If the talking heads are to be believed, Subban isn’t even on the team’s top-6 as is. Considering how Babcock wants to keep LD on the left and RD on the right, it’s hard to see Subban in the top-6 anyway. I’d personally have him in before either of Doughty or Pietrangelo but everyone appears to be too high on both of them to do so.

45. Danno says:

The big Ape scores

1-0 Caps

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

46. duffy says:

GRABO, nice pass,

47. jols101 says:

Watching this London/Guelph game, what strikes me the most is the monsters out on the ice. These kids are 16-20 years old. Both teams have scary-sized monsters playing on them. If this trend continues they are going to have to make the ice surface bigger.

• Chris says:

Guelph has some big defencemen, but their forwards are actually not that big. 8 guys under 185 pounds. And the biggest of them, Auger, is one of the worst skaters I have ever seen in the OHL. His skating is quite simply atrocious.

48. duffy says:

Joke of the night, Tim GLeason in the intermission says the Leafs are the NY Yankees of hockey world, I believe the Yankees have a few championships to their credit in the last forty eight years .

49. Plekasuares says:

So another Marc Bergevin error was McCarren boy this GM is great isn’t he

50. AliHaba says:

Watching Caps/Loafs on RDS. Unfortunately Toronto playing better so far tonight. 0-0 after one.

51. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Report on McCarron…

3 mins left in the 1st and our 1st rounder has barely played (3 or 4 shifts). And guess what? He plays like a Hab….no intensity. On his first appearance, he almost coughed up the puck near his own goal. His next shift wasn’t much better — couldn’t hang on to the biscuit down low at the other end.

• jols101 says:

I’m watching the game, the LA Kings have a 6’7 kid playing for Guelph his name is Auger I think. First time I’ve seen him and the announcer said LA got him in the 4th round of the 2013 draft, the same draft we took McCarron in the 1st round, he has looked way better than McCarron.

• CJ says:

When you draft a player you are projecting where they will be in 3-5 years, unless they are a lottery pick and someone who can be slotted into an nhl lineup right away. MacCarron is a project. Be patient. This is a transition year. Hunter is learning about MacCaron and Mac is learning to play in the league. He can skate and has great hands. I see the focus was on a turnover during a line change in his own end. He also was one of the few knights to help sustain any presence in the offensive zone. Again, great to watch and I appreciate everyone’s opinion, but this is a long term project.

52. Sportfan says:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but if not LOL Briere and Gally

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

53. jols101 says:

McCarron is getting very little ice-time.

54. CJ says:

Hamilton up 1-0. Beaulieu with the goal. Bulldogs have won 5 in a row.

55. Danno says:

Go Caps Go!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

56. fred11 says:

Fred Power

If the Coach is going to sit PK, then what’s he going to do with Bourque? He probably can just put his suit on after the game without showering, that’s how lazy this guy is!

57. formerly known as the hc says:

There you go! This proves it! PK is going to a cup contender for a fifth rounder and a subscription to netflix! Quick, fire everyone and trade everybody else! Panic before it’s too late!… There, I think it’s out of my system now. GHG!

58. Eddie says:

So McCarron is on the full Sportsnet network in 15 minutes. I will watch the game for sure.

Here’s what I will be looking for:

1) his skating with and without the puck, quick feet, bursts from a stop position, over speed, able to arrive at the puck carrier on time to make a difference

2) physical play along the boards and in front of the net. Does he win those battles and does he do the work?

3) offensive contribution, shots, stick handling, passing

4) defensive contributions especially backchecking and defensive zone work ethic and coverage.

Enjoy the game!

• HabFab says:

I’m going to await your report… if you don’t mind :)

• Eddie says:

Listed on the Knights web site at 6’6 and 238!!

Is there a forward in the NHL this big?

• aroma says:

Byfuglien has just been moved to the wing. He is bigger…

• Chris says:

Bickell is 6’4″, 233 pounds.

But Bryan Boyle is probably the closest, at 6’7″ and 244 pounds.

The problem with big guys like that is that, in many cases, they are probably better off training to be defencemen. It is so hard to stick-handle at that size, and he simply doesn’t have the speed to beat people.

Speaking of Bickell….everybody’s power forward star in the making in the off-season now has 6 goals and 8 points (and a somewhat surprising -5 rating on a team that is +42) in 38 games. Think it might be safe to say that last year’s playoffs were a case of acute Drucitis.

• CJ says:

I’m tuned into sportsnet HD. Let’s take a look.

59. BCG says:

P.K. is managing Therrien’s actions. Good for P.K., but it’s not his job. Therrien over-reacted. He is not helping the Habs and is hurting the Habs more than what he is trying to “correct” with P.K. Therrien was exactly the same with Crosby -if Therrien can’t admit his ongoing mistakes – fire him. His ego is too much and not worth it.

• CH Marshall says:

It’s interesting that you say PK is managing MT’s actions, because that’s how I feel about it too. PK knows he’s controlling the dynamic between the two of them. MT thinks he’s disciplining PK by benching him or criticizing him in public, but that only helps PK especially in the court of public opinion

60. Chris says:

My only comment on Therrien-Subban: Episode CLIX is that I simply cannot remember an NHL coach who has talked about personal development of his players nearly as often as Therrien seems to.

Somebody really needs to explain to Therrien that he was hired by an NHL club, not a CHL club. Public comments about developing a player’s off ice character and personality are one very fast way to get tuned out by his young and old veterans alike.

Therrien, for all his experience on TV, is an abysmal communicator. From laughably absurd comments, such as his comment about Gionta crying in his arms, to his personal development obsession with Subban to his bizzaro-world discipline (which is far from consistent or uniform across the line-up…Eller and Subban have certainly eaten pine, but I can’t remember too many games where guys like Gorges, Gionta, Bourque, Pacioretty, etc. have found themselves in the doghouse despite similarly or much more brutal stretches of hockey), Therrien is pretty much a disaster when it comes to press conferences.

Is he a bad coach? Probably not…the team is doing about as well as I expected this season, with a predictable sophomore slump by Gallagher and decreased scoring being primary causes of the fall-off. But I will never warm to him as a coach because I just find him hard to root for based on his public persona.

• BCG says:

That’s cool. But personally, I don’t care about his persona. Ted Nolan has a bad public persona, but his teams tend to play more than their parts. Therrien couldn’t claim that. I want a coach that can claim that.

• Eddie says:

On RDS they routinely, including tonight 5 a7 show, use words like childish, immature, selfish, to describe Subban and to explain “Michel’s challenge” when trying to “control and manage Subban”.

The man in question is a Norris winner going to the Olympcs and they still describe him as though he’s 16 and a rookie in Belleville.

This is Therriens world. RDS. These are his friends, his past colleagues, and people he trusts. They use Therriens exact words.

Unacceptable to me. Disrespectful. And unacceptable.

61. habstrinifan says:

oh!oh! We screwed up health care in the States.

“The Obama administration has cut ties with CGI Federal for its work as the main contractor on the Obamacare website, a source familiar with the decision told CNN.”

“It was lead contractor for building the problematic front-facing side of HealthCare.gov, a job with an original two-year contract valued at nearly $100 million.”

“Officials in several of those states have also expressed dissatisfaction with CGI’s performance.”

“Based in Canada, CGI presents itself as the world’s fifth largest independent IT and business process services company”.

Taken from CNN website.

62. Carey Price #31 Team Canada jersey’s are ready for order.

Mike Smith #41 Jerseys are ready for order.

Habs 5
    Hawks 1 (maybe 2)

Wheat Kings game tonight and looking forward to the Caps destroying Captain 49, his freakin contract just cost the Habs an extra two or three million.

PK Subban 8 yrs/82

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

63. Ganderhabfan says:

Ya got to think that the Habs brain trust might actually be thinking of trading PK, for some good but cheaper assets, instead of signing him for $8+ million. God help them if they do!!!!

” the Torch still burns “

64. Storman says:

As Therrien proclaims to the media “you know what I got a great relationship with PK Subban” as he is assuring media in attendance of his great relationship with PK, he is shaking his head in a back and forth no I do not, lol

65. montreal ace says:

I think there will be some people on here, who will never, never, never ever,never ever get over MT sitting PK. I would like to say this is making me sad, but the fact is I find it so silly, its making me laugh,and when I laugh i get happy feelings. Many thanks to the MT bashers lol, as you made my happy day even happier.

66. The Jackal says:

@Eddie

I apologize for the earlier word sparring about our favourite subject.
    In the end, I respect your opinion and we’ll agree to disagree.
    Better yet, we both agree PK is excellent, and I remember back during the hold out and negotiations that we both were defending PK while others said he was not an elite player.
    Also, I think MT is far from infallible and I’d prefer someone else, but I don’t think coaching is really a problem nor do I think there is a rift between him and PK.
    But in the end that’s your hunch and you’re free to have it.
    We’re both crazy fans and the team is going through a tough stretch.
    Hopefully we win against the Hawks and pick up some steam.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Eddie says:

No problem man. I have been very edgy lately. You’re a bright young man with a great future ahead of you I’m sure.

Agree to disagree and we move on.

67. habstrinifan says:

Trying very hard to stay on the sidelines.

But please someone, please for the sake of decent debate, can you tell me that in the back and forth re a unlingual coach, how can one can stand up and put out “HABS did hire a unilingual coach.. they hired Cunneyworth”.

What serious examination of that entire episode leads to that statement?

• Phil C says:

The context of the comment was whether or not they *could* hire a unilingual anglophone coach. They can and they did, there is nothing stopping them. The Nordiques did it twice in a bigger francophone market than Montreal. Seriously, how bad would it be to hire an awesome coach who commits to learning the language like Crawford did? It represents a very nice gesture to the community. Ideally, you get a coach who is both, no question. But making it a hard requirement and potentially having to settle for a less talented coach? Molson doesn’t have to settle for that if he doesn’t want to, it’s his choice.

68. Da Hema says:

I am not trying to be a jerk with respect to Boone, Stubbs, and Stu, but there is something strange about a headline that loudly proclaims PK Subban in the spotlight again at Habs practice (which implies he did or said something controversial) when it was journalists themselves who were digging at him about his benching.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Agreed.

• D Mex says:

The first rule of journalism is :
      Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story – or headline. I had the same thought, so looked to confirm that Boone had written it. I was disappointed (but not overly surprised) to see it’s Cowan’s handiwork.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Mike Boone says:

And you’re a lecturer at what journalism school?
        Spare us your lame jokes about first rules, OK?

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• VancouverHab says:

Well, I have lectured (under protest, and on secondment) at journalism school, and I agree that D Mex is wrong about the first rule…but the actual first rule is more damning.

And the Guild is broken in any case, Mr. Boone, as technology has made every man his own Chesterton…or Dan Rather as the case may be.

And, using again as I have had occasion to before a form of the ad populam popular among present-day journalism school graduates, it is most impolitic to tout journalism school as ethos when those schools count Sarah Palin amongst their graduates.

• frontenac1 says:

Boone calls it like he sees it. That to me is a journalist. Nothing more,nothing less.
          Saludos!

• D Mex says:

Listen Boone :
          When you can find the courage to dispense with throwing knives into the backs of athletes that you will never have to face, and figure out how to fill in behind ” positivity ” with some real-life positive comments, then – and only then – will you be positioned to comment on things ” lame “.

You’re way past your due date – mod this.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Danno says:

Second rule of journalism: If it bleeds, it reads

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• JUST ME says:

That`s the new way of doing things at HIO. Stir some sh…Be controversial and stir up the negative comments it will sell…

• Mike Boone says:

Leave me out of this. I spent Friday hanging out with my daughter, who doesn’t give a rip about hockey.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

69. Danno says:

Was Michel Therien demonstrating his “Team First” concept when he lost his temper and used abusive language towards a ref resulting in a two-minute bench penalty for the Habs – last week against the Hurricanes?
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

70. durocher says:

Forget Nail, he is a diva. If we’re looking to land a big fish, we should go after Andrew Ladd (6’3″ power forward who is a leader and has won the Cup) or Ryan Callahan (guy who leaves everything on the ice). The Pens are rumored to be willing to shop Simon Despres, who is 6’4″ and plays a tough game. I’d be willing to give up Markov (he’s great, yes, but he won’t be playing much longer) for Despres, and Pleks (along with a dud like Bourque or Briere) for Ladd or Callahan. Yes Pleks is awesome, but we won’t get anything of quality without giving up anything of quality.

• Habfan17 says:

Agreed, not sure why some want the Nail in a Habs uniform.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

By the way, I think Ladd would be a good acquisition. Not sure Winnipeg wants to move him though. Despres would be nice, but he is a lefty, so unless it was a Beaulieu for Despres kind of deal, the Habs really need a 2nd pairing righty with GRIT!

Habfan17

71. Plekasuares says:

Would not want Yakupov here in Montreal. Brutal.

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

PK is about to become uber-rich…he doesn’t let anything bother him. That is why the benching was useless and, hence, dumb. All it did was diminish the opportunity to come back and win and cause unnecessary media/fan attention.

73. habs-fan-84 says:

HypochondriacsInsideOut.com

I’ve never seen such ridiculousness over the benching of a player in all my life. PK would’ve worn the goat horns had Philadelphia scored on that PP to start the 3rd – game over. Fortunately, for PK they didn’t, and for God’s sake it’s not like he was benched the entire 3rd period. Subban fan boys better get a thicker skin.

Subban is one of my favourite players, if not my favourite, but I can still admit he takes too many penalties. He’s young and still learning. He will learn from this. Unfortunately the fans and media have turned this into an absolute circus (your retort will be it was MT who turned this into a circus, I disagree).

74. Habfan17 says:

I don’t understand the love for the Nail. Yakupov has 17 points and is minus 24. The only thing he has proven so far is he is immature and says he won’t back check or dig pucks from the corners. For all we know he was only successful in Junior because of Galchenyuk.

At this point, Edm. will ask a kings ransom and it will hurt to get him more than it will help. The Habs have skill players in the system. Reway may turn out to be a gem. Then there is Hudon, Colbert and Nystrom. Sure, they may not be on the level as the Nail, but when you add in the players Bergevin would have to give up to get him, then it is not worth it. Again, The nail may fail!

Habfan17