Pacioretty farmed out

The Canadiens have announced that Max Pacioretty has been sent to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The Canadiens first-round choice, 22nd overall, in the 2007 draft skated with the team in Brossard today. But he had missed a few days with an upper-body injury.

Pacioretty, 21, played in two pre-season games, collecting two assists and eight shots on goal.

The team wrapped up the Brossard portion of their training camp today and there’s a familiar look to the top two lines as they prepare for the final exhibition game tomorrow night against the New York Islanders in Quebec City.

Benoit Pouliot is at left wing on the line with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta while Andrei Kostitsyn has retained his spot at right wing with Tomas Plekanec and Michael Cammalleri. Travis Moen will be joined by newcomers Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller and it appears Eller will start the season at right wing.

The fourth line remains unsettled. Pacioretty skated with Jeff Halpern and Maxim Lapierre. Mathieu Darche, Ben Maxwell, Ryan White and Tom Pyatt rotated on the spare line today.

Defence pairings at Friday’s practice: Gill-Gorges, Spacek-Subban, Picard-O’Byrne and Henry-Weber

The Canadiens’ morning skate at Le Colisée Saturday at 11:30 a.m. is open to the public.

Pierre LeBrun sizes up the Canadiens. His prediction: Eighth. (And ESPN doesn’t seem to know what Brian Gionta looks like)

1. punkster says:

I’m not so sure the reason they spent “70% of the game hemmed in” has anything to do with JM. Go back to the previous 2 seasons under Carbo (and even beyond) and remember the frustration we had with the same thing. I clearly remember many comments, my own included, on their weakness to clear the zone. So in that regard I don’t believe JM has had any impact on this failing either way.

As for “choking the life out of” offensive instincts, well if we’re honest with ourselves we really haven’t had any great offensive scorers in a while. Kovalev, when the mood moved him, and a few minor flash in the pan types, but no divisional goal scoring leaders.

However, I understand why you’re saying this. It’s frustrating for sure.

A team that can roll 4 lines, 4 good lines, beats a 2 line team on a bad day let alone a good one. Plus I’d rather see the scoring spread out so they become harder to defend against.

3. Everlasting1 says:

Who has JM ‘developed’ to really good players last year? Just curious. JM has yet to prove his system is affective in maximizing this team’s potential (with emphasis on the young talent). He def has his work cut for him. Should this team fail to make the playoffs, some heads are gonna roll. I’d be in favor of captain Kirk at the helm by that point, IMO.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

4. Puck Bard says:

Bill makes some good points, no denying. I’m not sure the eve of the season is the appropriate time for this, but I’ve always found what you contribute to be well thought out. I agree with poster below that I give Martin the benefit of the doubt at this point, but I share Bill’s fears about PK. Doesn’t mean it comes true (and as other poster stated, nothing wrong with reigning in PK a little at this point), but that is in the back of my head.

“…we focused more on defense last year. It was my first season with the organization and we wanted to put in a good defensive system. I think this year, not being an Olympic year, we’ll have more time in practice to focus on developing the offensive aspect of our play.”

6. habs_1993 says:

Dream : 8-0-0

Hope : 6-1-1

Realistic: 4-2-2

7. JIMVINNY says:

That’s naive.  A good bottom 6 can make a huge difference.

8. Danno says:

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. Lazarus_taxa says:

“You think” they don’t care, but you don’t know.

10. larisalapointe says:

Double sorry

11. quentin_stuckley says:

without markov, i think we’ll hover around .500.  as we tend to do.  plus, hammer hasn’t played a second of any game, pre-season or otherwise.  he’ll have some rust.

12. Lazarus_taxa says:

The only thing “imaginary” is your apparent insider knowledge about Martin’s system.  Good job at deflecting any detractors by calling them “nutbars” in your opening sentence.  Jacques Martin is one of the best coaches in the league.  He has developed some really good players playing right now.  All he is missing is a cup and this team is going in the right direction to get that for him (I base that on the results of his first season with the club).  Oh, but he’s just a french guy, that’s why he was hired. You’re a genius, I and the Canadien’s organization are nutbars.  Point taken.

13. Sheldon says:

Liking a team’s bottom six is absurd. The thing is to love the top six and hope the other half dozen see limited ice time!

14. Sheldon says:

Are you questioning The System and the massive impending gelling of the Habs under JM? You must be a troll or a Leafer!

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, Subban will become a lead-footed PK specialist. God forbid he holds back from doing 15 end-to-end rushes each game since 13 of them don’t go anywhere except a turnover. Subban needs to learn to pick his spots, which he will from Andrei Markov when he gets back towards the end of the month.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. scrowe21 says:

I have little confidence in Montreals goaltending at the moment.. plus no Markov or Hammer to start..powerplay has been absolute crap…..its not looking good.

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

17. Bill says:

I’m fine with Gomez and his salary. I’m fine with Price instead of Halak. I’m even fine with Pouliot (for now). But with apologies to all the nutbars around here who regard any criticism of the team as a cross between treason and blasphemy, I get ticked off every time I remember that Martin coaches this team. Wrong guy in the wrong place.

In the Lebrun article, he cites his “defensive system” as a reason the Habs were last in even-strength scoring last year.  Thing is, I seem to remember his “defensive system” resulting in the Habs getting outshot and outplayed 2 games out of every 3. That is some kind of system, but a defensive one it is not. Take away Halak’s heroics, and where would the Habs have been last year?

Martin chokes the life out of every offensive instinct his players might like to show five-on-five. He does that without creating an effective defense. How many games did we watch last year where the habs spent 70% of the game hemmed in their own zone?

The thought of what he will do to PK Subban, I cannot take it. Here’s a kid with serious game. Martin will try to turn him into Hal Gill. And as for our other young star, Carey Price will feel like Denis Lemieux by the fifth game of the season, a victim of Martin’s imaginary “system”.

We all know why Martin was hired, and there isn’t much that can be done about language politics or the old boys’ club. But it does make it harder to enjoy the team, knowing that it isn’t being run with success as its first priority. The sooner some new blood is injected, the better.

Full Breezer 4 Life

18. solomio says:

Guys here;s our first few games.

Anybody see a Habs victory in the near future?

Thu, 7 Oct 2010 Canadiens Maple Leafs 7:00 PM CBC, RDS
    Sat, 9 Oct 2010 Canadiens Penguins 7:00 PM CBC, RDS
    Wed, 13 Oct 2010 Lightning Canadiens 7:30 PM RDS Tickets
    Fri, 15 Oct 2010 Canadiens Sabres 7:30 PM RDS
    Sat, 16 Oct 2010 Senators Canadiens 7:00 PM CBC, RDS Tickets
    Thu, 21 Oct 2010 Devils Canadiens 7:30 PM RDS Tickets
    Sat, 23 Oct 2010 Canadiens Senators 7:00 PM CBC, RDS
    Mon, 25 Oct 2010 Coyotes Canadiens
  19. jennifer1984 says:

it was amazing going to so many games last year.

especially since we always got tickets behind the Dog’s bench, minus the one time we were behind Grand Rapid’s bench. Oh we did bad things. 3 girls with a marker and paper! The equipment manager thought we were writing them love letters and offered to pass it on but we told him he probably didn’t want to see what we had written/drawn (they were beatin on White and I wasnt having any of it)

anyway awesome games to see. Saw a couple when Kostitsyn was sent down and man did he really play. Too bad he didn’t play like that all the time up here.
    So if you ever DO have a chance to check out the Dog’s (anyone) it’s worth it. Plus you can’t go wrong with $26 anywhere seats! Im not sure if its gone up since then.

Too bad I moved away and won’t get to see any. But I’ll get to check out the Soo Greyhounds. 2 blocks from the rink, BETTER be good!

20. Bill J says:

Excellent oxymoron post.

Nicely Done B.

21. 1010 says:

Yes Bugs, you’re right, I hope he comes out of the gate and gives Martin no reason to remove him from this line. I hope I have to admit that he surprised me. But, if he fails, and I’m starting to think that he very well may do just that, I hope they move him early(before Xmas).

GO HABS…

22. habbyone says:

I’m not pushing them in front of the metro. Just sayin these 2 are on thin ice and for good reason.

23. habbyone says:

It’s obvious he’s on something. lol.

24. Say Ash says:

Agree on the 3rd and 4th lines, although the D looks a little shakier, at least until Hammer/Robokov come back.

And this is always the case against Toronto, Ian – speed vs. size. We’ll draw a lot of PPs and have to capitalize.

25. Anonymous says:

It’s actually epilepsy medicine…

26. Bugs says:

Why would you hope such a thing?

Would it not be more satisfying to hope he kicks it into full gear instead?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory:

27. Bugs says:

Tendre Guidoune?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

28. Bugs says:

I confirm it, Mr.Ian.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

29. Bugs says:

First of all, giving 150% is scientifically impossible, so if that’s what you’re waitin for, you’ll wait forever.

Secondly, with a finger up their nose and sleepwalking, Poolio and AK have produced more than our whole bottom six combined, so spare us the Draconian measures at their expense, would you?

It’s friggin preseason. You mind waitin til Game 10 afore pushing them in front of the metro, Habone?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

Where can I print off a list of this years games with tv coverage marked beside each game? I had one last year.

31. Say Ash says:

hey, one laugh ;o)

enjoy your weekend

I like our bottom 6 skaters, our 3rd and 4th lines are vastly improved over last year. Younger, bigger, faster with more talent.

I just don’t know who is going to scrap with Toronto on opening day, they sure won’t be able to skate with us and will be trying to run us through the boards me thinks.

33. habbyone says:

Ak and Pouliot are both on short leashes and i don’t think it’s in their characters to give 2 craps. My bet is they wont last much longer if they dont step it up big time. Pouliot looks drunk at times and AK looks like he’s on medication for i’m friggen lost syndrom.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Ian, if character = talent, Gill would have Pronger’s ability but he doesn’t and Pronger isn’t an AHL scrub going by that as well. We may not always like our goal scorers but unfortunately it’s something that can’t be taught so teams must find ways to get the guys who can naturally score to do so. Not ideal, but that’s hockey.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I don’t know about that my friend!

36. Anonymous says:

AK and Pouliot at 60% is exponentially better than white or pyatt at 100% effort.

37. habbyone says:

I don’t understand how there’s room in the nhl for guys like AK and Pouliot. These head cases give 60% at best and only when they want to. Clear out the junk and make room for these kids who’ll give 150% each and every night.

38. Harani says:

“It must be love!”

39. SeriousFan09 says:

He won 1 game against the Hawks who had nearly no regulars playing and lost his other game, that’s shades of Patrick Roy alright.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. dockturtle says:

Ran out for shots on the driveway after and just checked back.  That’s my other son when he was 5.  I think some of the growth hormones made it through to their milk.  Neither will be as big as Gill though.  Few are.

41. mjames says:

I was checking out how various teams have performed in the preseason and I noticed that St Louis’ goalie has performed quite well . His name sounds familiar. Didn’t he play for the Bulldogs at one time. He should have a try out with the Habs.

42. 1010 says:

The guy is a huge question mark in my opinion and I really hope he is on a short leash with this team.

GO HABS…

43. Favorite Son says:

The thing is we saw what he can do, when he started out with Gomez and Gionta last year. Going to the net, skating fast, being intense and scoring. Just a matter of getting that back…

44. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

is it just me? or does Benoit Puliot not need to be on this team? If gomez and gionta could actually have a player on their line who knows how to use the size he has I think it would be much better

45. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

46. secretdragonfly says:

Cammi in checks and Gio standing on a box – classic!  I had forgotten how funny Gill is – he and Gomez must hang out together.

47. Favorite Son says:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta, Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn, Moen-Halpern-Boyd, White-Eller-Lapierre.

Why should Pyatt play instead of White? They’re both great defensively, both can play centre and wing, but White is more intense, can hit and fight too if need be. I like Pyatt, but White is just as good and has the things I just mentioned on top of that. So these would be my lines. In my opinion, White has to stay. He brings something a la Chris Neil that we haven’t had for a while. He can even score every now and then. I’d keep both in the lineup if possible, but management felt the need to go get Boyd and Halpern when the rookies are ready to assume those roles in the NHL. I like what Boyd and Halpern will bring to the team, but they weren’t necessary acquisitions.

48. dhenry1234 says:

“getting turned around more than a butterface”

Post of the week right there lmfao

49. secretdragonfly says:

I’m really looking forward to taking in more Bulldogs games this year – more talent than I can remember in a long time.

50. kotsopoulos says:

im not sure anyone posted this yet, but here goes anyway. enjoy

RESEASON     2010-2011 MONTREAL CANADIENS (3-3)
    C 14 Plekanec, Tomas 3 4 1 5 4 2 1 1 0 0 11 36.4
    LW 32 Moen, Travis 3 0 0 0 2- 26 0 0 0 0 6 0.0
    D 75 Gill, Hal 3 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 2 0.0
    C 15 Halpern, Jeff 3 0 0 0 2 4 0 0 0 0 1 0.0
    TEAM TOTALS 6 21 32 53 5 157 3 2 3 0 189 11.1
    OPPONENT TOTALS 6 22 31 53 5- 163 9 1 3 0 149 14.8

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Max Pacioretty cut from camp, he’ll spend the season with the Bulldogs likely, which is probably good for his development, he’ll join a pretty solid core of forwards but likely get himself into Top-6 time. Coach those offensive instincts and learn to keep his damn head up.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. baruch says:

please let Pouliot get whatever karmic cleanser that Price got before last game.  Benny is messing up the top lines.  AK too, give him a break out of the spotlight, put him on an energy line

53. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Pacioretty JUST assigned to Hamilton. It’s like PG bugged by desk or something.

54. Harani says:

I know a lot of you were looking for it so I managed to find a clip on CJAD of about 9 minutes (Click on the clip in the bottom left). It’s better than nothing. Enjoy!

“It must be love!”

55. Say Ash says:

Yeah, Pou-Pou-Pouliot and Je Suis Andrei Kostitsyn are in funks (to be kind), but a bigger problem is “Snatch ” O’Byrne. Watching him for four years now I have not noticed one bit of development. He had a good little run last year and then when returning from injury, he quickly regressed. This guy’s getting turned around more than a butterface. Maybe it just goes to show how good Markov can make a teammate look. It doesn’t anger, it disappoints, really. At this point, I’d rather see Henry. I gurantee you Vanek would not have scored that first goal with Henry laying him out.

56. Hagar says:

Pyatt or White over Benny. Incredible. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

57. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Pacioretty is best left in Hamilton is he isn’t in the top 6. He isn’t a grinder..that’s not his game. Let him score a bunch in Hamilton, get crazy confidence, then come and tear it up in Montreal.

On a side note, I thought Pouliot did really well last night, and has been okay in the pre-season. He gets his spot because of how quick his hands are…much more so then Eller at this point.

58. scrowe21 says:

Funny video from a photoshoot with the team

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

59. scrowe21 says:

No way we could afford to lose both of them, no one else is ready to fill the top 6.. I personally dont think Eller is ready and I think he’d be better off starting in Hamilton unless someone gets injured. I think one of them (AK/Pouliot) will be traded, I’d keep Kostitsyn…He has a better shot and can hit like a freight train… Hopefully he’ll light it up this year.

My line up would be

Darche sits.  Eller and Maxpac playing first line minutes in Hamilton. If BP cant produce with the little G’s then trade him and give Eller his shot.

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

60. g says:

r u serious? you’ve got to be kidding me. Is it me ourr is this out of wack?

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

61. Jordio-oh says:

If thats him in the picture, he has a heck of a mustache/beard/sideburns combo for someone his age.

A young Hal Gill, if you will.

62. HabFanSince72 says:

Putting grinders on the top line was one of Carbo’s least successful ideas.

Remember Kostopoulos with Pleks and Kovy?

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure Pyatt will have a spot this year, he was a go-to guy for JM in the playoffs and he loves the kid’s defensive style, Darche will likely sit as the 13th forward.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

64. wmarcello says:

I will be incredibly disappointed if neither Pyatt nor White do not make the roster to begin the season. I’d pick either of them over Pacioretty, and easily over Maxwell or Darche. I’d even consider giving them a spot over Pouliot, Halpern, or Boyd if any of them struggle.

65. dockturtle says:

Darcy is a male name.  It’s Irish and been around for a long time.  Has only been used for girls in the last 20 years.  My son is a Darcy.

HIO annoucnes that they’ll be raising HH’s letters to the top of the web site when he retires.

67. mike g says:

Or throw them both on waivers…

I really think alternating guys like Pyatt, Eller, White, Maxwell, etc…would be better than having those 2 in our top 6.

At least they would provide the effort 80% of the time.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

68. Will Longlade says:

Both Pouliot and Kostitsyn will be on short leashes this season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or even both of them moved before the trade deadline this year.

69. SLONCOLD says:

pre-season is soooo stupid and means nothing…. way better to build team confidence, chemistry and work out kinks with your line mates in the regular season… besides we have to see how much depth we have for the 3rd and 4th lines… very important to get that figured out…Regular season start already!!!

i can’t wait to hear the regular season is pointless, what you do in the playoffs is what really counts…

Fan Summit Updates–Click on Summit side bar or link below

everyone is welcome to join us, check out the itinerary and come on down!

71. adam76 says:

How the Darcy Tucker retirement headline SHOULD have read:

Veteran Pest With Girl’s Name to Retire, Start New Career as Leech.