Pacioretty escapes suspension over McDonagh hit

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty will not receive any supplementary discipline for his hit on Rangers’ defenceman Ryan McDonagh in the second period of the Canadiens 3-0 win over the Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

Pacioretty, who was assessed a minor penalty for boarding McDonagh at the 7:20 mark, had a telephone hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan Sunday afternoon. Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported that general manager Marc Bergevin went to Pacioretty’s defence.

McDonagh left the game and did not return. There were unconfirmed reports that he suffered a concussion.

NHL.com said the league’s Department of Player Safety would be examining boarding and/or charging infractions as the basis for potential supplemental discipline.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

1. Marc10 says:

So… Ottawa, eh. If Bourque comes back, what happens? Prust on the fourth line and occasionally subbing for those who slack off and need to be given a timeout?

Ah Depth down the roster… What a nice problem to have. Let’s hope it stays that way!

And for the Leafs… Sortini, non?

2. habstrinifan says:

Why we cannot afford to have Prust play a ‘pure fighter’ role (besides the fact that he is not BIG enough). Well plain and simple this guy is absolutely integral to the on-ice efficiency of the HABS.

It is interesting that of the forwards Galchenyk; Prust and then Gallagher have the best plus-minus figures.

You may say well they dont play as much as the top six guys. But in truth with the line changes these guys are in and out of different lines. Galchenyuk is 9/Prust is 8/Gallagher is 7.

DD is minus 3… he is the ONLY forward with a minus.
    Markov is the only defenceman in the minus… he is minus 2.

Gorges and DIaz are the top defencemen.

Some players are exactly what they look like on the ice though. Armstrong is plus 1. Moen is 0 and Cole is plus 2. Some of you may like the captain ( I consider him just a notch above Gomez on-ice contribution wise and I have seen nothing saying he is exceptional as a captain… he is 0. This is not a knock.. I just think a captain has to have some special tangible attribute that imposes itself on a team. For instance I don’t know or care what Neil’s plus minus is in Ottawa (and he isnt the captain) but every hockey fan knows what Neil brings to Ottawa and recognizes him as above every other player on that team as far as that ‘undefined’ but ‘tangible’ attribute that he imposes on the team.

Pleks is at 0..

Bottom line is the habs are better because our production has ‘apparently’ improved and that improvement has come from the Gallys/Prust/ and Eller. Now before you run and look up if we are actually better 5 on 5 than last year…it sure does seem that we are…meaning there is more confidence in our ability to win games.

So based on above.

If you want a fighter…replace Moen leave Cole as what he is a darn useful all around player.

In a tight game… do not count on DD as much as Eller.

When line changes are contemplated do not ask what a player like Cole can do for others but what players like Gallagher and Prust can do for others.

And bottom line playing Markov as much is counter productive in all aspects.

Good night. Come back tomorrow when I shall give a dissertation on scoring… not necessarily on the ice.

3. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Did Nabokov get an oscar for that little tap he got in the crease on thursday? I had to actually rewind to make sure somebody in the crowd didn’t shoot him.

4. Sportfan says:

IF we had to trade Kristo (because he didn’t sign) what would you think we would get back for him

• ProHabs says:

Probably not alot. He hasn’t proven that he can play at a professional level yet so he is probably not worth a whole lot. But they better start taking to team to see what they can get for him as he is not going to sign here. Winters are too harsh in Montreal, his feet wouldn’t last 1 winter. I think the Montreal nightlife would eat this guy alive.

• shootdapuck says:

Who are you kidding? This guy has spent 4 years in Grand Forks ND!

The weather is the same as Winnipeg in winter not Miami!

How did he freeze his feet 2 years ago?

He couldn’t stand the winter in Montreal? Sheeeet.

Kristo is from Minnesota not California.

He won’t come to Montreal cuz he doesn’t want to or isn’t good enough not about weather .

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
        “Le game est tous de hard work”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

• Saintpatrick33 says:

If he doesn’t want to sign F him, trade him either in a package deal or for a pick I’m sick of hearing this guy’s name. If he was any good he’d be playing with the Habs now. He was drafted in 2008 surely by now if he was NHL caliber he’d be playing in Hamilton at least.

• Adam says:

Yeah, screw that guy, taking advantage of a free university education that will serve him well for the rest of his life!
            And all that hogwash about wanting to help his team win a Frozen Four championship! How selfish can you get?

• Habfan17 says:

Get off this nonsense. Kristo may, or may not sign, but he has never said he did not want to come to Mtl. He stayed at UND to try to win it all, pure and simple. His words. If he chooses not to sign with Montreal it will probably be more about the depth at right wing, not weather. Where do people come up with this ridiculous crap?

Habfan17

Agree, I respect the kid for wanting to complete his University and try win a championship with them. Normally qualities that would be admired, apparantly not here eh?

5. shootdapuck says:

Odd how the official 20 ft away made no call but the one 70 plus feet away did looking through the net no less!

Have the bozos designated one official to make all penalty calls and the other to watch and support decisions right or wrong!

Looking back it seems that one official makes the calls in most games.

Lots of long distance calls made this season!

Anyone concur?
    =================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

Burke says he will still help Leafs if they ask since he is an advisor, his ego knows no bounds.

7. Danno says:

Habs will host the Rangers on March 30th.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

So if Bourque is over flu, who is out tomorrow? White, Armstrong, Moen or maybe Prust for a much needed rest?

• Bill says:

I vote therapy day for Prust, he’s really hurting. Tough hombre, but we are going to need him down the stretch, and it seems like he’s fought every game!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• commandant says:

Depends on the health of Prust, if he’s less than 100% and needs a night off, I’d give it to him, but I doubt that is the case.

As such its likely Armstrong or White.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• neumann103 says:

Given that Lars Eller sat several games for no good reason an PK subban has played third pairing minutes, it is astonishing that Armstrong has yet to sit.

“Et le but!”

• HUDSONHAB says:

On any given day, Armstrong or Moen could be given a game off.
      How is it that Gionta is getting the most ice time of the forwards?
      I think he needs some time off to refresh his game and view it from the press box.

….Hab4life….

9. Mr. Biter says:

Quick UND report for the weekend.
    Kristo 3 Goals 3 assists
    MacMillan 1 goal 2 assists

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

Calgary 2 quick goals now lead late.

11. Boomer says:

24CH on tsn2 in a few minutes… If you’re tired fo all the singing and dancing

12. Mondou6 says:

Back in the day, “boarding” was never called, ever. Players on the boards would never turn their back to the ice, because they knew that they would be destroyed by a hit. They protected themselves at all times.

With the new rules, since it is supposedly “illegal” to board a player, you see players turn their back to the ice ALL THE TIME. And yes, it’s a penalty if they get plastered face first into the boards, but that’s small consolation when they end up with a concussion and the offender gets a 2 minute penalty.

Back in the old days, McDonagh would have never put himself in that vulnerable position. He would have assumed he’d be crushed into the boards.

I think the hyper sensitivity to “boarding” penalties ends up causing more injuries.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Back in the day if someone was being hooked they would just keep skating and try their hardest to finish their play. Now you see players give up and put their arms in the air, even the guy doing the hooking.

Back in the day a goalie would help the opposing player untangle his skate from the net if he slid into his net and the play moved away. Now the goalies will sit on them or tickle their jock.

How times have changed.

13. bellcentre hotdog says:

Max obviously did not deserve a suspension.
    Shanahan finally got one right.
    I suppose if you go to bat enough times you’re bound to get a hit sooner or later.

14. MikeHabs says:

Glad Max didn’t get anything but he could have considering he does have a record, injury on the play etc. In my opinion, at most his intent was this guy hit me earlier, I am going to give him a hard hit. He didn’t leave his feet prior to impact, it was the result from the momentum that propelled him upward off the ice. McDonagh does put himself in a vulnerable position as you can see him look before he retrieves the puck, he sees Max coming.

Anyways guys, here is the prospect update for the past week. Mitch Brown does a good job outlining the kids in the system: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-180213-240213/

What, no Oscar’s live blog?

16. jedimyrmidon says:

The Max Pac – McDonagh situation is a bit strange:

– McDonagh took an unpenalized run at MaxPac and ran Prust’s face along the boards.
    – Pacioretty definitely saw his chance and took a hard run at McDonagh once he had the opportunity. He didn’t leave his feet prior to contact, but he did drive McDonagh’s face into the glass, but not through contact with the head.
    – McDonagh made a dumb decision to expose himself, which made the hit a lot worse than it should have.

So, in a sense, Max Pac’s hit was ‘dirty’ because he was definitely not going to let up on the hit no matter what, but, at the same time, McDonagh made it worse by basically ignoring an incoming Pacs.

17. Chris says:

Maybe I’m just surrounded by 20 year olds too much, but does anybody else find it funny that Stubbs wrote a column around Carey Price basically using a “Yer mom!” joke in a tweet? :)

That is brilliant?!?? Crikey…I hear some permutation of that about 800 times every day.

• Timo says:

I don’t think it was about that. I think it was about what a nice guy Carey Price is. It’s about you getting that warm fuzzy feeling about Carey.

• Bill says:

First of all, maybe I’m around 17 year-olds too much, but I never heard a “your mom” joke I didn’t like, haha. Second, I think an article based around a pro athlete making a funny retort to haters is always fun. Most of the time guys like Price are just mute, which is fine, but this exception is pretty humorous, worth an article I’d say.

Besides, it IS a pretty good “your mom” joke … little more subtle than most of them.

Oh and btw, you know who loved the article? Your mom!!

Full Breezer 4 Life

18. vegas says:

Since the Panthers seem to have pulled out the white flag, should we consider picking up Parros?
    1 year left at under 1 million

wouldn’t mind having him in the line-up against Bruins amd Leafs

• SUMO says:

Forget Parros, get Huberdeau!

• Bill says:

1) Can’t play a regular shift: Armstrong is a whipping boy here, but he plays double-digit minutes of mistake-free hockey.

2) Doesn’t fight like he used to … I assume you want him for his fighting? Four fights so far this year … against Orr, Scott, Erskine, and Grossman. He lost the first three. Personally I see no value in having a guy who only fights the other team’s goon … especially if he’s gonna lose to the other team’s goon!

3) The Habs are doing just fine, thanks.

Full Breezer 4 Life

19. frontenac1 says:

Viva Max! Viva Hedgehog! Viva La Revolucion!

20. Mondou6 says:

I’m glad for no suspension, just because we (and Max) have been screwed by the NHL enough already with regards to these asinine decisions.

That being said, Max obviously intended to hurt McDonagh. I don’t blame him, because Max has been practically decapitated with no ruling by the NHL, bitten with no ruling by the NHL, and then boarded by McDonagh, with no penalty called.

At that point, Max was obviously way past his boiling point, and he realized he had to take matters into his own hands, since the NHL and refs never protect him.

He had the opportunity to board McDonagh, and he took it. I’m happy he did, because obviously, the NHL condones this type of thing.

So I guess what I’m saying is that Max is guilty, but based on the abuse he’s taken over the past couple years, I’m glad he did it, and I’m glad he got away with it.

Here’s my straw man argument…

You could argue on for hours
    cuz it makes you feel empowered
    Confronting once again.
    But your head is so inflated
    that your comments seem aerated
    and you haven’t got a brain.

I marvel how you scribble
    such endless mindless drivel
    So fuddled its insane
    It’s the kool-aid you been drinkin’
    cuz your posts are usually stinkin’
    and you haven’t got a brain.

Oh, why don’t just proceed and cry that your stats tell you much more.
    You attack when others post what you abhor
    And like a twit, start a flame war.

The people you’re rebuffing are merely saying something
    That causes you some pain
    You may want to be contrary but you try so hard it’s scary
    and you haven’t got a brain.

22. Marc10 says:

So let me get this straight…

Biting is OK. Hits to the head are OK. Kneeing warrants a minor suspension, and attempts at kneeing get nothing as long as you miss…

Sweet. Can’t wait to see what Shanasham gives someone when they spear.

I do think it’s the League’s stance (and the PA’s) is completely irresponsible. They’ll do like they did for the spectator nets and wait until someone gets killed before they respond. It’s moronic.

Expand the league by a few franchises and move to 4 on 4 hockey. The guys are too big and too fast and it’s the only way to reduce the big hits and bring skill back.

• Mondou6 says:

You forgot to mention that it’s ok to cripple a goalie, like the Bruins did to Miller last year.

But a snow shower is a penalty.

Got it?

Edit: I agree with your 4×4 comment, but it will never happen. Players are too big, strong, and fast for 5 on 5 in these small rinks. We need fewer players on the ice, and/or bigger ice surface. Either way, it will never happen. Instead of that, we get Shanahan reading tea leaves to make suspension decisions.

• Marc10 says:

Ah yes. Taking out goalies is more than fine… Good point.

I think when someone dies they’ll need to move. That’s what drove change on nets and it’s a dark stain on League management for not realising that day was coming. This day is coming too sadly.

Accidents happen, but this won’t be an accident. The guys are too fast and too strong.

23. lfsuk says:

And what’s up with the date on my post’s??

24. lfsuk says:

Why do the apostrophes in all posts I read on my phone appear garbled?

25. ABHabsfan says:

Recently I find myself going to the TSN site just to have a look at the standings; 1st place Montreal Canadiens.Still, and they will be in 1st tomorrow too but I will look anyway. Let’s hope for a good game tomorrow night and they will remain on their lofty perch.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

26. Mavid says:

Going to the game tomorrow night..I will try to behave but just in case keep your donations handy..

27. HAB - Have A Beer says:

The only thing I can see that maybe was illegal his feet was of the ice on contact. McDonaugh tried to put max through the boards earlier. so max even it up. McDonaugh’s hit was just as dirty and I think that’s the way Shanahan saw it. Warned Him.

28. Willy the bum says:

I had the sense Patches may get 1-2 games too, but getting away now is surprising. And just seeing this play repeatedly, Patches had done what he supposed to: either getting the puck or getting hit, and McDonagh knew there’s a Hab catching up to him for the puck. McDonagh knew he’s in the way. Well, Patches’ lucky to get away, but he’s still being watched by the disciplinarian.

Another thing, a GM defending one of his players? Never heard such a thing if I ever know; that’s a team concept! Thanks Mr. B!

29. HabFanSince72 says:

This won’t make him any easier to trade: Luongo gave up 8 goals on 28 shots to Detroit today.

• jmsheehy19 says:

True, but it’s literally his first bad game of the season. Everyone has bad one, better to get it all out in a single game.

• mdp2011 says:

Might make it easier, remember Patrick Roy?

• The Juice says:

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• The Jackal says:

Trade? They should stick with Lou.
      Trade Schneider and stick with Lou, draft a goalie prospect, let Lou retire a Canuck.
      Isn’t it a bit shameful how the Canucks have handled this situation?
      He was captain for a bit, until the NHL said goalies could not be captains, but they all claimed he was captain in spirit.
      Then the Canucks committed to him being their man with that big contract. He took the to the cup final and is the reason they even got to game 7. The following playoffs Schneider did not steal a game at all – they lost in the first round.
      So all the fickle fans turn on Lou for some reason, and the GM thinks it’s a good idea to trade him. I don’t think Schneider will take the Canucks far.
      If you saw the NHL stats before this drubbing, Lou was first in GAA and save %.
      It’s a mistake IMO to trade him. Trade Schneider, Lou will be good long enough to bring up a goalie prospect who he can then back up.

• Garbo says:

Agreed. Schneider has won what, 1 playoff game in his entire career?

And they would get more in return for Schneider. Get rid of him.

Living in Vancouver, I have not come across a fan who disagrees with this. Schneider is not loved here. Luongo is. And he’s the better goalie. I don’t see why this is even up for debate.

30. scuba says:

It’s official, Jonathan Drouin will be the first over all pick. This kid is going crazy. He is putting up three points a game since MacKinnon got hurt. On top of that he keeps making plays like this almost every night.

and this

and today, this

This was all in the last week and just a small piece of what he has been doing.

——————————————————————————————————–
    I can’t tell if the Habs are great or terrible because sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

31. CaliHab says:

@Timo: you got that right man!!!

32. frontenac1 says:

Oscar? Didn’t Oscar Madison die this year?

33. CharlieHodgeFan says:

In the moment, I thought the hit was old time hockey. A few moments later, I remembered what happened in old time hockey and was concerned. The ugly fan in me had come out.
    But in the meantime, the team had gotten going, and Max Pac had delivered a message after a dirty hit, with a dirty hit. He got a penalty, and it all moved along.

If he’d gotten a game, I wouldn’t have been upset, but that he got off is fine too. I don’t think he was headhunting, but he was clearly number hunting, and that number had earned a solid hit.
    Could the refs have defused the problem before it happened? Yes, I think so, but they are inconsistent and I don’t know why. They aren’t targeting the Habs, they just aren’t targeting penalties with any predictability, and that leads to guys taking things into their own hands.
    I’m glad the Ranger is okay (and I wish he weren’t a Ranger) and I’m glad a carelessly aimed big payback hit didn’t cause him more longterm problems. I’m also glad he’ll think twice about running Max again the next time they play.

34. CaliHab says:

1. Max can now have an “i’m invincible mo******ckaz!!!” attitude and dish out retalitaon without being unfairly persecuted.

2. I’m gonna create an account on the Rangers site and help Berkshire out……

35. habsfan0 says:

Totally off topic..but here is my prediction for tonight’s Academy Awards.

It will be boring.
    Seriously, though,”Argo” will NOT win in the Best Picture category.
    The Academy has a heavy Canadian influence on it,and it’s not a surprise that Affleck was snubbed in the Best Director category for his embellishment of history at Canada’s expense.

Karma can be a wonderful thing.

Although I’m scratching my head as to why “The Three Stooges” movie wasn’t nominated in this category,either.

36. Sportfan says:

@The recent hockey poll, Price definitely deserves a shot a playing for the Olympic team, I see Luongo making it too as for Brodeur I doubt it, his time is done for that stage in my mind.

BUT if Brodeur and the Devils don’t go deep in the playoffs then he should go to the World Championships and prove he’s still good enough to compete at a World stage, or something around those lines.

37. Cal says:

Wow. no suspension. Huzzah!
    I am glad to have been wrong on this one.

• Marc10 says:

Shanny has backed right off hits to the head. Schenn on Gally proved that point. So from that respect it’s open season. If you’re going to question that hit, you can question a lot of other hits that have gone unpunished this season.

I don’t think it’s a good thing. You either protect players or you live with the consequences. I’d have gone for a total ban on hits to the head. Given how strong and fast guys are nowadays, you’re asking for trouble if you let guys forecheck like that. Best to bite the bullet and have zero tolerance on hits to the head. Guys will clean up their game quickly if you enforce it…

38. Say Ash says:

lol Berkshire’s taking on a whole army on the Rangers site

39. jrshabs1 says:

Good on Max for not being suspended. All Hab fans should be happy. 1st reason: Max wanted and got a little payback for the exact same hit McDonagh put on him a shift before that didn’t get a 2 minute boarding call. 2nd reason: Max laid on the ice nearly dead from a dangerous hit from behind that the league said was a hockey play and nothing more. The league has set it’s own precedent regarding dangerous hits involving Max. If the Chara hit was legal than anything Max does short of sprearing someone in the face is fair game. 3rd reason: Grabo just bit Max 2 weeks ago and got nothing. Be happy Hab fans!

Go Habs Go!!

40. twilighthours says:

B posted that link below, from the rangers’ fan blog:

And Berkshire is currently being berkshire over there, just doing what he does best. Entertaining read for those of you who wives are watching red carpet nonsense and you’re looking for something mildly more entertaining.

As for patches, he got gooned and wanted some payback. The hit was borderline and I’d say dirty, and he got lucky by getting nothing more than 2 minutes. There’s our gift for the year.

To me, it’s simple: if it were patches on the receiving end of that, we’d all be calling for blood.

(it sort of was, not too long ago, and we all called for blood, and called the police)

• Loonie says:

I didn’t see too many people outraged at Gallagher taking two Schenn forearms to the back of the head with no call from the league.

I’m not saying that we’re the most level headed group collectively when it comes to this kind of thing but Pacioretty did get him on the shoulder in an area the league itself has deemed a “danger zone”(see Raffi Torres crushing Brent Seabrook in the same spot on the ice)

I don’t think it was dirty, I think it was retaliatory.

• HabFab says:

Yeah Berkie can sure argue…I ALMOST feel bad for the Ranger fans.

• Strummer says:

Thanks for the link- that was entertaining!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• jmsheehy19 says:

Berkie’s being totally rational in his posts. I love the guy that is claiming a degree in physics yet saying, and I quote,

” Momentum does not bring your feet 8 inches off of the ground. Not when you are over 200 pounds.”

Because apparently in his physics class, he didn’t learn that greater mass results in greater momentum (assuming a constant velocity)

• twilighthours says:

Berkshire is being a clown. It’s classless to go on another team’s fan site and start crap – even if he was being polite and rational (rational, perhaps, but not polite). And especially after an inflammatory event like that hit. He was trolling, really.

• The Jackal says:

Agreed. He posts interesting stuff sometimes, but he likes to argue and never admits when he is wrong, he just keeps going and tries to make people look like fools by implying they are dumb, he’s the kind of guy who takes disagreement personally.

• Chuck says:

I like the comment from one Blue-shirter talking about the massive 500-comment threads they had about the Nash trade. What a bunch of wannabes. Without breaking a sweat, we could do 500 comments on what Price had for lunch or what Boone is hiding in his sock drawer.

___________________________________________________

41. Loonie says:

The following post is immature in nature and you’ve been warned…..

Lars Eller is awesome, and it didn’t come overnight. To all of the people who doubted him.

Eat your humble pie and shut up.

42. Sean Bonjovi says:

I hadn’t bother watching a replay of that hit until just a few seconds ago. Having now seen it I don’t even understand what the question is. If you freeze that video (above) at the point of impact (about 35 seconds) You can clearly see some Rangers player with his head down, skating straight into a well position Max Pacioretty, who’s got both skates on the ice and his left arm tucked into his torso.

• Loonie says:

Whether or not he has his head down doesn’t matter for the penalty. The letter of the law on boarding is a violent check in the 2-5 foot range of the boards or a hit on the boards where the player being checked is unable to protect themselves.

The supplemental discipline? It’s a joke that it was even reviewed. McDonagh’s check on Pacioretty was worse both by the rules and by the eye test.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“unable to protect themselves”

He was able to protect himself. He didn’t protect himself because he had his head down, but was ABLE to protect himself. Last week Brendan Gallagher was unable to protect himself because he was fighting for the puck with one Flyers play and could not have possible known that a different Flyers player would hit him directly from behind. There is a video posted in the story above that shows the Ragers player skating into Pacoretty’s shoulder because he has his head down. That player had every opportunity to defend himself.

• Loonie says:

It isn’t 1 and 2, it’s 1 or 2.

The player doesn’t have to be unable to protect himself for it to be boarding.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Edit: What are you suggesting? About the hit I mean. What do you, or don’t you like about that hit?

• Loonie says:

I think the hit is dangerous based on where it happened on the ice, but not dirty.

If I were an NHL official I would find it difficult to not call it boarding.

43. FormalWare says:

Nothing at all, for Patches?! What league is this? What planet am I on?!

If Eller were pronounced “Ell-ay”, Larry would be #2 with a bullet!

What was the point of the hearing if there is no further discipline? Couldn’t the idiots just watch the tape without Patches and the idiotic “hearing”. This league is run by morons.

45. durocher says:

So, do you think we can/should package some of our 3 2nd round picks to move up in the 1st round to select Drouin?

• Loonie says:

Plenty of players worth moving up for……..

Mackinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nichkuchkin(sure that’s spelled incorrectly).

The question is whether or not the teams holding top five or ten picks will be willing to give up the chance to have these prospects.

If a guy like Kerby Rychel is in fact going to be available in the twenties I wouldn’t be trading my first round pick.

46. Steven says:

So, after watching the hit again, I really don’t see the uproar.

On the link B posted, Berkie got at it with a Rags fan that was claiming Patches feet were at least 8 inches above the ice. I don’t understand how he could have such a hard time watching a simple clip(either that, or he intentionally used a picture that would further his point).

Patches feet come off the ice as, or a split second before he throws the hit, but either way, it’s not 8 inches. It’s more like 1 or a few centimetres. Anything else is after the hit, which is completely legal.

Some people just like to start a fuss, I guess.

• Cape Breton says:

Pacs left his feet. Enough said.

And folks, I luvs da habs!!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Enough said”
        Phrases like “Enough said”, and “You have to admit” are generally (and specifically in this case) only used by people who can’t form an argument to support their conclusions. You’re begging for your conclusion (a poorly articulated implied conclusion) to be accepted without having said enough to give a reasonable person any reason to believe it is correct.

• Bill says:

You should probably – out of courtesy – simplify your vocabulary when addressing the kind of people who use phrases like “enough said”.

Just sayin’. (lol)

Full Breezer 4 Life

47. B says:

Saskatoon wins its 15th in a row. Dietz scores again and now leads the CHL in goals by a Dman with 20. Thrower scores one as well, his 5th.

–Go Habs Go!–

48. Sportfan says:

Im glad Patches didn’t get suspended it would have been uber BS as I’ve said more than once today, if RM is hurt I hope he heals quickly but Patches didn’t deserve a suspension nice to see our guys not get the crap end of the stick. How angry are the Rangers?

Good for Patches! he has sure had his share of dirty hits thrown at him. And I am somewhat pleased that he made a payback statement with that hit.

Now! after that statement, I go back to my former condemnation for any kind of a hit to the head, and doubly so if one sustains an injury.
    Never mind this crap of penalizing players for a slight bumping of a goalie who is 10 feet out of his crease and get back to rules that save players careers and lives.

Any hit to the head by any means, you are out of the game and it is reviewed with serious consequences.
    Stop this spanking of the back of the offenders hand by Shannahan garbage.!

To many bodies at all levels of hockey have been ruined for life.!

50. The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

I’m glad Max avoided suspension. And I supported his hit as a necessary response to the unpunished liberties McDonagh was taking. All that said, the NHL is being criminally negligent in letting players smash each others’ heads all over the ice without any consistent policy of discipline. And one day a player will die, or be permanently handicapped, because of hits like that.

51. Mavid says:

I went to see the 67’s play Belleville this afternoon..and man those Subban boys looked good.. Jordan got a Gordie Howe hat trick, pounded the snot ouf of some 67 player, after he tried to knee him.. Malcolm got an assist.. Jordan reminds me a lot of PK the way he dipsy doodles up the ice..I was cheering for the 67’s who played well, Malcolm was the difference..he is a great goaltender..

52. 1010 says:

No suspension was deserved. And I got it right for once. There was no jump. Tortellini is insane and everyone knows it.

Why do I have this queezy feeling where the NHL is pulling one on us and now we as Habs owe the league one…. I don’t like this….

54. Habfan10912 says:

Lost in all this was the FACT that the big tough Rangers offered zero response to the hit indicating two possibilities. They did not see the hit with any malice or intent or they ain’t so big and tough. If I was Torts I’d be made at my teams lack of response and not be bullying sports reporters by asking them how high Max jumped.

———————————–

55. Da Hema says:

Fonzie…I mean Tortellini…just tweeted Brendan Shanahan and the NHL Head Office: #BrendanShanahan: Heeeeeeeeeyyyyy! Sit on it!!

56. Steve C. says:

Would we not asking for heads on a swivel if a Habs player had been pasted like that?

57. Steve C. says:

(copied from below)

Sometimes, you gotta let a man handle his crap, even if others may think he’s gone off the rails. I understand why Pacioretty did what he did. I grew up playing contact hockey and I understand the restlessness that a player endures when trying to balance selfless team play, standing up for yourself, and sending a message. Hockey is such a fine line.

58. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Max cleared! Call the whaaaaa-ambulance for Tortarella!

59. frontenac1 says:

Max,Max,Blah,Blah…… Ron Jeremy is out of the hospital! Get a grip amigos!

RDS confirms:

Pacioretty avoids suspension

Max Pacioretty was cleared by the NHL after he gave his account of his hit against Ryan McDonagh during a hearing Sunday. The incident occurred during Saturday’s game against the New York Rangers.

61. punkster says:

See, I was wrong again. Now I have to pay up another bet. Gonna be one wild night when they all get together to collect.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

62. habs-hampton says:

I’m still p***ed off that he even had to have a hearing, after Schenn and Orr didn’t have to defend themselves to Shanahan, Jacobs and Campbell.

63. t1tan5 says:

Surprised here. Based on hit and the events prior to the hit, I was thinking 1-2 games for sure.

64. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Its the “Stockholm Syndrome” amigo. Take a Double Single Malt , a Pint and a Jagerbomb. Enjoy Team Vice vs the Young Guns from Manitoba tonight amigo!

TSN still with no announcement, of course why would they care.

So as a Habs fan I am happy with the decision, however, as a fan of hockey, I am left further confused…… I had already convinced myself Max was getting 1-3 games

67. Loonie says:

Dorval Tony is correct regarding Shanahan’s moral obligation to recuse himself.

Then again, an ex-player is going to have friends all over the league toward whom he provides special treatment in these matters.

Most of us remember Steve Yzerman’s Ryan Malone getting nothing for a head shot that concussed Chris Campoli. Did Shanahan and Yzerman ever play together?

Other NHL coaches or executives that Shanahan played with…..

Kirk Muller
    Rollie Melanson(with the Canucks I believe)
    George McPhee
    Claude Loiselle
    Brett Hull
    Adam Oates
    Kevin Dineen
    MARTIN LAPOINTE
    Luc Robataille

So affiliations to Carolina, Vancouver, Washington, Toronto, Florida, Los Angeles, Dallas and now the Habs.

In addition there are several other teams that Shanahan played for like Detroit, New York, St. Louis and New Jersey.

He, and any former player are terrible choices for the role. Conflict of interests everywhere.

68. CaliHab says:

BEAKIN’ THE LAW
    BEAKIN’ THE LAW
    BEAKIN’ THE LAW
    BEAKIN’ THE LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69. If anyone in the NHL is *owed a free pass in a disciplinary hearing, it most certainly is Patches.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.