Pacioretty escapes suspension over McDonagh hit

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty will not receive any supplementary discipline for his hit on Rangers’ defenceman Ryan McDonagh in the second period of the Canadiens 3-0 win over the Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

Pacioretty, who was assessed a minor penalty for boarding McDonagh at the 7:20 mark, had a telephone hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan Sunday afternoon. Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported that general manager Marc Bergevin went to Pacioretty’s defence.

McDonagh left the game and did not return. There were unconfirmed reports that he suffered a concussion.

NHL.com said the league’s Department of Player Safety would be examining boarding and/or charging infractions as the basis for potential supplemental discipline.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

1. frontenac1 says:

You can thank Ron Jeremy for that one amigos.

2. habsmandes says:

I agree, I can’t really say that Patch actually even jumped in the air to check DcDonagh, it seems like he just stands up into the check.
    I admit that McDonagh’s check on Max doesn’t look like he really hit him in that bad, but he does seem to ride him into the boards. Anytime you check someone close to the players seating, you should be careful.
    If Max gets a suspension, so should McDonagh. If Max bleeds on his check, does McDonagh get anything?

3. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – No suspension or fine for Max Pacioretty. Hearing that Marc Bergevin did a great job to protect his player.

Bravo for Marc…

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what pisses Me off, is the encouragement the NHL gives to this type of boarding and roughing …it is a very slippery slope and confusing to the players of what is permissible

…I feel any pushing/shivering from behind into the boards by forearm/hands/stick must be clearly illegal and a 5 minute major, and automatic minimum one game suspension

…the onus on the checking player should be to pin or restrain movement at the boards, not violently force their faces with forearm/hand or stick into the boards …any contact is to be limited to hip to hip, chest to back …eliminate any use of hand/forearm/stick illegally forcing a player into the boards

…concussions are taking away the most talented players, and it is getting worse

…in Patch’s case, they should be looking at eliminating the type of check into the boards that McDonaugh gave on Patch even more than the payback (quasi-legal) hit made on McDonaugh

Wow, I am surprised! Happy but surprised.

6. YoNiko says:

Habfab beat me to it… No suspension for Max… and rightfully so

7. HabFab says:

RealKyper – Confirmed no discipline for #Canadiens Max Pacioretty after his hearing with the #NHL.

First tweet and hope he is correct.

• CaliHab says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :)
      :) :)
      :) :) :) :) :)

8. frontenac1 says:

I’ve never seen Ron Jeremy smile in his life.It”s not how he rolls.

9. frontenac1 says:

Who’s Danica Patrick and what’s she got to do with Ron Jeremy?

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…seriously though, Patches, if suspended will have 2 very controversial suspensions

…the first on Letang was one of those split-second defensive reaction things in open ice, that happen hundreds of times in a season with no penalty or repercussion …Patch was nailed because of Letang’s concussion

…on McDonaugh, what was worse ?, McDonaugh riding Patch into the ridge of the boards face first with his stick and hands ?, or Patch mashing McDonaugh with His side and hip semi-horizontally ? It was really McDonaugh semi-turning his face into the hit that made it worse for him

…and, the irony is, Patch will be ‘judged’ by an ex-player (Shanahan) whom in his day made the expression ‘pay back’ his middle name

11. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

@Stu Cowan. Thanks for the great blog about PK. As a fan and supporter of PK, I feel that the tempering of his play has gone too far. I miss the guy who used to give to Crosby, Richards and the league’s best players. I want to see the guy who gets booed in every opponent’s rink again. The Chelios comparison was apropos. If MT tried to do this at the time of Chelios, Corson, Lemieux, etc., he wouldn’t have lasted 30 sec. Times have changed…

12. Cape Breton says:

It was a payback hit. Nonetheless it’s plain to see that Pacioretty left his feet to nail McDonough. Can’t do that! Could be a game or two on the grass.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Patches’ hit on McDonagh sure looked like ‘a hockey play’ to Me :)

14. topher5468 says:

Weaver deserved a penalty for hitting Lucic, from behind, but Lucic lost his cool, lets hope the Bruins pay for it
    “It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

15. So that idiot who chirped Price on Twitter, after the Islanders game, apparently got an earful from fans last night. He then referred to people from Montreal as “inbreds”, but quickly deleted that tweet.

Stubbs will have a column on Price’s reaction today, if not already out.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

16. GrimJim says:

Patches won’t get suspended. More likely it will be a $10,000 fine for a reckless play a la the flames Giordano’s slew foot. The new CBA calls for a phone hearing prior to any fine of over $5,000, which is why the phone call

17. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

@Danno and @Mattyleg…from below…favorite Hab rapper:
    Sir-Max-a-lot…”McDonaugh got back…”

18. Mattyleg says:

Fantastic Daytona500 Tweet from the most dapper TSNer, John Lu:
    “Which was more cringe-worthy? 50 Cent trying to kiss Erin Andrews or James Franco’s “Drivers…and Danica…Start your engines!”

Eughh.. (collar tug)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

19. TMan1969 says:

I watched the hit a few times and I don’t see suspension. I saw McDon turn and then Patch hit his left shoulder, back portion, and his left skate came up due to momentum or whatever…was it in retaliation, probably. Now consider Patch was hit from behind, on the numbers and then McD fell on his knees…no penalty because he could stand, because he didn’t bleed? Or because he turned away from the hit…the Patch hit was a similar hit that happened to Gallagher – only the kid didn’t bleed…I guess injury is the marker feigned or real…but if McD was punished…penalized by the refs…this doesn’t happen…IMHO.

• Cape Breton says:

It was a payback hit, nonetheless it’s plain to see that Pacioretty left his feet to nail McDonough. Can’t do that. Could be a game or two on the grass.

20. frontenac1 says:

Big game tonight. Ontario vs Manitoba for all the marbles. Hurry Hard!

21. CaliHab says:

I apologize profusely for my earlier comment, I was furious with McDonagh for running roughshod over our players with no penalty, and the minute he gets a taste of his own medicine, our guy gets suspended.

It’s injustice in the 3rd degree.

What should be viewed as a great hit by one of our best players will now be used as an excuse to keep him away from the game.

It seems to me that Pacioretty is at his best when he plays physical. He will be afraid to hit people if he’s been suspended and will never reach his full potential.

It’s just another way for the NHL to continue their persecution of the CH.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If everybody had to apologize for an inappropriate comment, the site would crash… don’t worry about it…

• Danno says:

Well said.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Da Hema says:

You are the best of the best for apologizing. I do too for some of my earlier comments about McDonagh. You are right that the last time Pacioretty was suspended for his (in my view, clean) hit on Letang, he wasn’t the same player afterwards. Yet I do not feel any sympathy for McDonagh — I would be hypocritical if I were to feign concern for a player who was trying to hurt others himself. Bickle’s head shot to Gallagher — a player who just returned from a concussion — hardened me on this entire subject.

22. Habs should call for News Conference to challenge any decision made by Shanahan or have live conversation between Shanahan & Pacioretty with GM & MB present. Let the fireworks begin by saying “Where not going to take it”.

23. homerbowen says:

Patches has to learn to think TEAM FIRST rather than Patches first. Taking a revenge penalty and now the possibility of a suspension hurts only his team. Hopefully he will be here to throw his big body around on Wednesday but I somehow doubt it. Grow up Patches.

• Danno says:

The trouble with your logic is the fact that McDonough and several other Rangers repeatedly got away with dirty hits and the refs did nothing. Something had to be done to regain pride and respect.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If anyone was allowed a “freebie” on this team, its Max; especially after what he’s gone through.

• Steve C. says:

Sometimes, you gotta let a man handle his crap, even if others may think he’s gone off the rails. I understand why Pacioretty did what he did. I grew up playing contact hockey and I understand the restlessness that a person can endure when trying to balance team play, standing up for yourself, and sending a message. Hockey is such a fine line.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

You’re forgetting that McDo had boarded Prust a few minutes earlier. Pacioretty, far from being selfish, did EXACTLY the right thing – made sure that an unpenalized opponent who was running roughshod over our players paid the price. He sent an invaluable message that you don’t mess with us – precisely the message good teams send. I think he deserves a small suspension but if I were Therrien, I would quietly congratulate him on a job well done.

• showey47 says:

Sounds like someone is a little bitter maxpac turned into the goal scorer you said he would never be.

24. boing007 says:

Today’s Daytona 500 stinks. There are more commercials than coverage of the race.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

25. frontenac1 says:

Yup.”Never Drink and Drive,….You Might Spill it”

26. anotherhab says:

It will be interesting but I suspect Patches will get a 1-2 game suspension — only because he’s a repeat offender.

27. frontenac1 says:

Hey Shiloh, Todds great but my favourite sports writer was Hunter S.Thompson. His coverage of the Kentucky Derby and Superbowl is classic! Norman Mailer was something else too.

28. CaliHab says:

I hope McDonagh has a concussion, lost 9 teeth and misses 26 games.

and I hope Pacioretty doesn’t lose his edge like that last time he was suspended……..

29. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Patches surely regrets hurting McDo. But would it be better or worse if he had not done it?
    2. Which will be longer – Patches suspension… or Torts remaining time with the Rangers? Surely he’s gone soon.
    3. Should PK and Markov be on the PP together?
    4. Who should be the Habs #1 D pair?
    5. If a trade were to happen, who would you rather lose – Cole or Gionta?
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Better
      Torts
      Subban – Yemlin
      Gionta

• Danno says:

1 – Worse. The league doesn’t enforce justice so Max had to send a message himself. Even if he pays a price for it, it was worth it.

2 – TortElvis has jumped the shark. It’s the last season of his sitcom.

3 – PK should be getting more ice time than Markov who seems tired and out of step lately.

4 – PK – Gorges

5 – The moment we trade either will be point in time they play out of their minds hockey

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• SmartDog says:

I agree with your #4. I think PK-Gionta should be our #1 D pair. George’s steady play with PK’s dynamic attack ability. Both are young. That makes Markov-Emelin a pretty awesome #2 pair.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habilis says:

1. Worse. McDonagh was running around all game. Plus, Patches intended to hit him cleanly, IMO.
      2. Torts remaining time with the Rangers. I just think he has some grace with last season’s success and the injuries he’s dealing with.
      3. I think they should try PK and Diaz on the first unit. IMO, they are our top two D-men right now. Markov is trying, but he’s just not the same Markov.
      4. Right now, PK-Diaz, IMHO.
      5. Tough one. It pains me to say it, but if I had to choose, I’d have to let Gionta go right now. That’s based 100% on performance this season though. Cole probably has more trade value right now, plus he has an extra year of contract. Yeah, tough one.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Better.
      2. I think Tortorella will see out the year. Remember his team almost went to the cup finals last year.
      3. Yes, but Diaz – Markov is also a good pairing.
      4. We seem to not be doing the #1 line thing. All our D get equal time (+/- depending on the penalty distribution). Good thing too with this schedule.
      5. Hard to say. Cole is potentially be better, but Gionta is more consistently intense.

30. Da Hema says:

Phone conversation to take place at 4:10pm EST between Brendan Shanahan (head disciplinarian, NHL) and Jeremy Maurice Jacobs, Sr. (Boston Bruins, owner):

Shanahan: “How many games will Pacioretty be suspended, sir?”
    Jacobs: “Eight.”
    Shanahan: “Thank you sir!”

31. Fansincebirth says:

Let’s Go Florida!!

32. frontenac1 says:

@Danno. Re-hab is for Quitters amigo.

33. keepthefaith says:

It will be a total joke if Max Pac gets suspended. So I’m gonna go ahead and assume a suspension is coming.

34. Dirtsteed says:

I’m not even gonna comment about possible suspension because nothing Shanahan comes up with surprises me. Could be zero games or 100.

What I will say is that I like that this team can send a message. Tortarella runs his mouth after the game earlier in the week and we respond by making them play the entire game in they’re end. Then McDonagh has a borderline hit on Max and he buries him two shifts later. We would have never seen this in the previous regime.

We don’t have to be the toughest team in the league, but we need to at least have the capability to respond. Tortarella may not have learned as he was running his mouth after the game again (partly because he has to stand up for his player and partly because he’s an idiot), but I gaurantee you that McDonagh learned something.

35. frontenac1 says:

@DDO . Have to disagree amigo.That was always there,as were policemen who watched out for star players. I could be wrong but I can’t remember so many dangerous cheap shots, back then,but I do remember justice being delivered regularly on the ice.Saludos!

36. If Pacs gets suspended…Lines should look something like this?

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
    Prust – Deharnais – Gallagher
    Cole – Galchenyuk – Eller
    Moen – White – Armstrong

37. mark-ID says:

Junior varsity, got it.

38. mark-ID says:

What is a JV match?

39. jrshabs1 says:

Max will get 2 to 3 games..too bad it was a simple hockey play and McDonaugh turned into the hit. Does anybody remember the term hockey play..I’m sure Max does. The league hates the Canadiens expect the unexpected on this one kids. McDonaugh hit Max exactly the same the shift before..he didn’t even get 2 for boarding.

Go Habs Go!!

40. HaBo says:

If McD didn’t want to risk getting pasted then he should have turned his back to Pac and tried to coral the puck for possession. Instead, he turns left, directly into the path of Pac in order to play it back to the near corner. If you don’t want to get plastered then Don’t turn into the play!! Like someone said, maybe he was trying to draw a penalty.

Finally a Hab plays w some spine and delivers what McD deserved. If these harder checks were delivered regularily by Mtl then we’d receive less of them ourselves! Good job Pac.

2 minutes boarding was the right call. Case closed.

• Da Hema says:

What HaBo said — in spirit.

Nonetheless Colon will suspend Pacioretty.

Edit: Don’t know why I’ve been writing Colon Campbell….Need more coffee! :~)

41. Habilis says:

Bruins beat writer Kevin Paul DuPont tweeted this today:

“Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD
    Back-back JV matches for B’s. Today at Sunrise, Tues at Uniondale.”

That’s pretty arrogant, even if it is true. Just another reason to hate the B’s in my book. Man I hope we beat them next Sunday.

42. chemic says:

the smirk on patches face after the hit clearly does not help to avoid the suspension.

its like the nhl-boardroom meatheads fear Patches unreal mind of body and soul, this villians know they cant destroy him so now they play the suspension-card…….but he will come back even more stronger after that, side by side with team…..LES X-MURFs

• Mattyleg says:

They can’t look at the smirk.
      Only the hit.
      Not allowed to say, “plus, when he skated away smiling, we realized that he had eeeeevil intent, so we’re suspending him until the Rangers win the Stanley Cup.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• chemic says:

sure they can`t but they will.

my feeling is Shanny has no need to explain himself specific why someone should sit a couple of games. he throws usually some paragraphes of rulebook into, says “intend” about 3 times and that makes the case!

to be clear, i think max is guilty but so is mcdonagh or coburn. there will be a suspension and the usual hypocrisy continues.

43. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m trying to analyze and report (at the same time) the video like Shanahan will but I can’t type with my eyes closed…

44. light_n_tasty says:

This is a reply to Habilis or whatever. This iPhone app is retarded so I can’t actually reply. Anyway, McDs hit is not the same because he let up when he saw the numbers and didn’t finish his check. It was a good non-call. Then Max didn’t like it so he took things into his own hands and should be suspended for it.

• Habilis says:

I get what you’re saying, but IMO, the same thing happened when Max threw his hit. If you look at it full speed, McDonagh fakes one way and then presents his back to Max at the last second. Max could have obliterated him, but he actually lets up a bit himself.

Max was lining him up, no doubt, but he did not intend to injure him. He intended to deliver a clean check. McDonagh compromised himself.

At least that’s how I see it. Obviously you and Shannahan don’t agree. Fair enough.

45. When are Habs Fans going to see the real PK Subban this season?

46. frontenac1 says:

Like I said on one of first posts here almost a year ago. Get. Rid of the “Instigator”rule. Let the Lads deal with this sh#t.The Prefect Hall Monitors can’t do it. They just make matters worse with more disrespectful and dangerous hits.There is real lack of fear of retribution from perpetrators. 2,3,4 ,5 games? Chump Change for these guys.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The real problem is the refs aren’t making the calls so the players have to take matters into their own hands to protect themselves. The instigator rule had to be brought in because teams were abusing “the code” and just sending out goons to jump on good players whether or not anything happened prior.

• jbroderi says:

I can’t see how that will help. People still jump guys after clean hits now. All removing the instigator rule will do is create more of this nonsense. If a guy really gives a dirty hit, the instigator rule hardly ever acts as a deterrent anyway. I know the catch phrase is to let the players “police themselves” Fine, but do you really want to see guys like Lucic, Shawn Thornton, Chris Neil and Scottie Hartnell wearing cop uniforms with no repercussions to keep them in line?? To say that the instigator rule increases stick work and dirty hits is to basically deny the facts.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

47. Mattyleg says:

Tough call on the hit.
    They can’t look at the retaliation aspect, it’s not allowed.
    All they are allowed to do is look at the hit in isolation and judge whether it was a) legal, ii) done with intent to injure.

It’s a close one. If McDonagh had finished turning to his left, it would have been a side-on hit, but didn’t quite get around. It could therefore be argued that Max intended a clean check, but McDonagh stopped his turn. Max’s feet left the ice, but he didn’t jump into the hit, I think his momentum just carried him upward.

There really isn’t that much consistency, so I can’t predict anything. If it’s more than two games, it’s outrageous.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. Max says:

Upon analyzing McDonagh’s teeth,Dr.Recchi says Pacioretty should get 15-20 games.

49. dhenry1234 says:

Chara didn’t get suspended for his Attempt at murder on Pax, than Pax won’t get suspended for this hit. It’s simple.

50. I believe MP will get 4 games as being a repeat offender.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Is the tag “repeat offender” for a perpetrator of the exact same multiple act OR multiple different acts? This was a hit from behind while the other was a hit to the head. Does it make a difference?

51. light_n_tasty says:

3 to 5 games…the hit was clearly retaliatory and Max is a repeat offender. shouldn’t be more because not a headshot.

Also, HIO get your act together with your iPhone app…the comments section is terrible…I cannot tell if posts are in reply or what.

• Habilis says:

Then McDonagh should get the same, right? Because he did the same thing to Max earlier in the game. But Max wasn’t concussed, so nobody mentions it.

I get that the injury factors into the discipline, but I find it ridiculous that Max gets the hearing just because he’s tougher than McDonagh.

52. Da Hema says:

How many games will Colon suspend Max?

a) one game
    b) two games
    c) three games
    d) four or more games

53. Propwash says:

You know, if they called suspensions evenly across the board, I wouldn’t be upset if they suspended Patches. The league can’t even get the reffing right.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Exactly. Either you have justice or a free for all. The reffing can’t be in the middle.

• Chuck says:

They need to go back to a one-ref system, but allow linesmen to alert the ref to major fouls.

___________________________________________________

54. Da Hema says:

Pacioretty will get suspended, of course. Frankly given how the NHL applies “justice” — and I know this is not very civilized of me — I just hope McDonagh lost about four teeth. I am tired of other teams hurting our players with impunity. If this is what the Habs need to do to send a message to other teams, so be it. Bring on the suspension Colon!

55. jbroderi says:

That hit is MacDonagh’s own fault. He saw Patches coming and turned away from the play. It isn’t even close to as bad as what Schenn did to Gallagher. Patches didn’t even really take a bunch of strides and charge in. Shanahan and that office are so inconsistent it is ridiculous. I have always said that there should be a committee of former players, coaches and REFEREES that decide suspensions by consensus. Campbell was terrible because he played favorites. Shanahan is just terrible because he doesn’t know what the hell he is doing!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

• The Dude says:

I loved that hit! I remember Patches was hurt by a check earlier in the game “as was a few other Habs,NY has a monster team of athletes”and yes MacDonagh”thanks again Gomer” did turn into cus he knew he was gonna take one”Patches looked for revenge and was Pissed”
      He’ll get 2 games but a lot of satisfaction and I don’t think it will affect him like the last suspension.”Rest is good healing meds!” Good Game last night,eh…. Bring on Bruins &Leafs tabanooch! :evil:

56. Chuck says:

For the life of me I can’s see why this would be a suspendable hit. McDonagh looks over his left shoulder and sees Pacioretty. He then fakes putting the puck behind the net, and instead pulls it to his left and turns into Pacoretty’s line and ducks. Patches’ skates also don’t come off the ice until AFTER contact, and there’s no effort made to target. McDonagh’s head.

I think that this was an attempt at McDonagh trying to draw a penalty, and he ended up chewing some glass.

___________________________________________________

57. Habshire says:

Nedley Falls news with guest Brendan Shanahan…

• Chuck says:

Hahahaha.

___________________________________________________

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Hits I say are clean..” LOL! How this knob got his job is beyond me. Maybe they should hire a Lady Byng Winner next time…at least he wouldn’t be a hyprocrite.

58. CaliHab says:

well, looks like I just got moded…..

59. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry responded to a modded comment therefore “self corrected” myself…ignore this post.

60. Mattyleg says:

Hi Everybody!
    (Hi Dr. Mattyleg!)

Great stuff last night. Was out doing a comedy improv show (and winning) last night, so didn’t see the game, but caught Canadiens Express, and it looked pretty good!

Does this team have it or what?

Just a little word to all the ‘Size Queens’ on this site…
    Anyone else notice how the TOWERING RANGERS really imposed themselves physically on us? Notice as well at how many of those INTIMIDATING GIANTS came after Patch after he ‘boarded’ McDonagh?

No… I didn’t either.

Great stuff, keep the good times comin’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• commandant says:

Size without skill is useless. The Brandon Mashinters, or Stu Bickel’s of the world don’t win hockey games, no matter what Don Cherry tells you.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Stevie.Ray says:

Too often size is confused with height. The difference between someone who is 6’2″ and 5’11” means nothing. What matters is strength. Clammy is tiny, but he was one of the strongest players in the league. Same with Crosby. We should try to develop strong players that can play

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

But isn’t Don Cherry always right…

• Mattyleg says:

Yes indeed.
        Which is why players like Nash (Rick, not Tyson) are so valuable.

Look at Joe Thornton.
        While he is an incredibly skilled player, he never used his size to full effect, in my opinion. He plays a much lighter game than his physique would have you think.
        Frankie Boullion, however, plays like a much bigger, heavier player.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Trisomy 21 says:

“Size Queens”? So people who believe that having size in addition to skill on a hockey team makes a team formidable are feminine? I bet you’re also the kind of guy who calls the Sedin’s the Sedin sisters and kills themselves laughing at the ‘Two Girls No Cups’ T-shirts. Don’t quit your day job.

• Mattyleg says:

Shhh.
        Simmer down.
        I didn’t coin that expression, it was someone else.
        I was simply using it as a mocking nod to both the people who think ‘size is everything’ (in a kind of camp ‘Queenly’ manner), and the poster who coined it.

But thanks for making assumptions.
        Love those “I bet you’re the kind of person…” shots.
        They’re always the most accurate.

-edit- I’m not talking about people who think size and skill are effective. Any idiot knows that. I’m talking about the people who just rant about bigger being better.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Trisomy 21 says:

Right, but Kingly could have just as easily been used but Queenly was preferred as it indicates gender. Don’t try to pass the buck on this.

I think that I made a safe assumption. After all I think that the Sedin sisters thing is also used as a mocking nod to the fact the Sedin’s don’t get physical. Doesn’t mean it’s fair to call them such.

In response to your edit: I think 99% of the people aren’t saying they want a team full of John Scott type players. Any idiot should also know that that won’t work. Maybe you were referring to the 1%, which I would find futile because it’s like calling trolls out. Then again people have protested about 1% before.

• Mattyleg says:

You don’t get it. Again.
            ‘Queen’ refers to an over-the-top homosexual man who goes on in a camp fashion about ‘size being everything’ with overt sexual connotations. In this case rather than sexual, it’s about player size. And before you fly off and accuse me of being anti-gay, it’s not insulting to anyone, it’s playful.

Do you have any evidence that I called the Sedins sisters?

There are plenty of people who post on here that we need huge players that can play 3 minutes per game and fight. Those are ‘Size Queens’.

I feel I often have to clarify things with you. I’ll just try to get used to it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Trisomy 21 says:

I feel you always say dumb shit. Besides what you intend queen to make, it’s still a dumb thing to say to people who you don’t agree with, whether you’re saying they are feminine or homosexual.
            But hey, the world is full of people who think they’re King Shit. What’s reading the comments of one more who thinks everyone else is wrong.

61. nek25plus says:

Job Posting for the position of Director of Player Safety read;

“Must have first hand knowledge of hacking, wacking, slashing, spearing, crosschecking, boarding and all levels of hits from behind. Fighting and all around belligerence an asset.

The successful candidate will be lacking in integrity and have little or no sense of pride. Also, having no sense of the absurd will serve this successful candidate well.

An understanding of all the subtleties and intricacies of being a puppet, following script etc, will prove to be beneficial.”

….

• reddog24 says:

Your forgetting the most important part of Job Description.
      Must follow previous persons instructions for job: Hate the Habs, Be a Bruin fan, suckhole to Jacobs who is Bettmans right hand man.

Whatever… whether suspended or not, Patch will get buy and with an opposition player losing his teeth for a change, I am cool with that. It’s about time Habs players were on the dishing end of the injuries.

• Bripro says:

Besides, I would assume he’ll bring a video clip of McDonagh’s hit on Max, and the fact that it took him a while to get up, even with the refs skating around with their blinders on.

63. Bill says:

Galchenyuk now tied for third in rookie scoring, four points behind 23 year-old Cory Conacher. Chucky is the youngest player in the top five.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• geo_habsgo says:

Do they give out the Calder trophy to the rookie with the most points or does ice-time +/- have to do with it too? Seems like Galchenyuk has helped transform this team. He gives us other options on offense and has balanced out the lines on this team.

It is nice to know that even at the lowest end, he looks like he’ll develop into a consistent 50 point player. I wonder where his ceiling really is. I’d be more than happy if he became a PPG player!

• JIMVINNY says:

Last year,even though Nugent-Hopkins had played 20 fewer games and had the same number of points, they gave the Calder to Landeskog, because he was by far the more complete player. At this point, hard to say if that is the case for Chucky, or whether he is sheltered. the fact that Conacher is 4 years older will have no bearing, however.

• commandant says:

The sky is the limit on this kid’s potential. It really is.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• geo_habsgo says:

I was sold on him during the combine last year when it was reported that he said his goal was to not just be an excellent player in this league, but the best player in the league. There are probably a few players with his talent level and skills but you need to want to be the best to become the best. I think he has it down pat between the ears.

64. Say Ash says:

previous offender, not wearing bruins jersey to place hit, shannahan played for rangers = 20 games lol

65. habs001 says:

This season is unique as only 48 games …no games with the west and many projected playoff teams off to slow starts and unlikely that all of the will recover…I still think it will be a tough decision for Habs management if the team is in the same position as now at the trade deadline….Do you stay the course?..Is this an unique opportunity to make a run in the playoff and you add some rental players?… The present Hab lineup is not deep enough to go 4 rounds unless thay get a lots of breaks …they would need to add rental players…Would you try to win the cup this year by slowing down your future?

• Bill says:

Hmm, I would say depth is one of this team’s strengths. Three lines that can score and dig, and a really strong 4th line in Moen, White, and Armstrong. Defensive depth is also good with Weber and Kaberle both sitting in the press box every night.

I don’t see the need for a rental player, and I wouldn’t be willing to trade anyone on this team for one. Gionta and Cole aren’t long for this team, need to have replacements in the pipeline.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• showey47 says:

I woulnd’t make a rental trade unless it involves moving kaberle and not taking money back. Either a pick,or a useful player with a contract that expires at the end of this year.

66. showey47 says:

After watching the replay over and over again there is no way it is suspend worthy just on the fact that one of the protocols is, did the player intentionally put himselfs in harms away? You can see from the replay that max did not come from directly behind but from the left side. You can also see mcdonaugh looks over to the left and he can see max is coming. To further prove it, watch mcdonaughs stick as he fakes cycling the puck behind the net before the hit. Something a player would only do if he knew he was being heavily pursued. Then after the fake he turns left right into max. If max had been directly behind him the entire time and nailed him on the numbers then i would say suspension but this is clearly not the case. What bothers me the most about this hit is that mcdonaugh knew he was going to get hit hard and did nothing to protect himself. Its almost like he was doing it to draw a penalty,something i’ve seen players do plenty of times.

• Timo says:

Is a player allowed to bring representation to these meetings? Ah, what’s the use. The league is a sham.

• slapshot777 says:

I totally agree Showey, yet as this season progresses I have see a lot worse and not even get a call, remember the Kadri hit on Markov not so much as a mention about it and he drove Markov into the boards by hitting him directly in the numbers.

I guess Shanahan overlooked the hit McDonaugh gave Pacs a few minutes earlier and again right on the numbers and Pacs face went against the dasher board on the players bench.

The NHL is a joke and so far this season it looks like the idiots and yes Shanahan is one of the biggest because a player who basically played this way all his life and should be able to identify more so of what a player is going through as he is coming up on a hit like this. Yet he got a gift as Player disclinarian only beause the heat was coming down on Cambell for all the favors he was giving to Jacobs and the Bruins.

He too was picking and choosing who to call to the carpet and who to ignore. Everyone thought Shanahan would be better, but he has regressed to the point where he has probably been worse based again on he being a recent player more so than Campbell and played a gritty game. He has let the front office make him out to be a puppet to do the beck and call whenever they see fit.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

67. The Teacher says:

The NHL is a joke. I just watch games now. I don’t even try to understand their dumb-for-brains logic.

68. Bill says:

On another note, how have the Senators won four in a row without Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, and now Anderson? Pretty unbelievable. Prediction: they crash to Earth starting next game and miss the playoffs.

Full Breezer 4 Life

69. youngwun says:

I swear shanny hates us.

70. The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

I’m disappointed to read people on here blaming McDonagh for ‘turning’ and therefore causing his own injury. That isn’t much different from the claim that Pacioretty ‘jumped a little bit’ and basically hurled himself into that stanchion.

Everyone agrees this was boarding. Boarding is NOT a ‘hockey play.’ It was a vicious hit by Patches, and this kind of vicious hit should in principle be suspendable.

The problem here is twofold. One is that NHL supplemental discipline is completely arbitrary. Far worse plays have gone unsuspended. So, even though Patches probably SHOULD be suspended and would be by a league that actually cares about player safety, the fact is the NHL has proven repeatedly that it doesn’t care a lick about player safety, and any suspension of Patches will therefore be based on arbitrary criteria (e.g., whether Molson is as tight with the league bosses as Jacobs, whether Patches has a rep as a bit of a punk).

The other problem is *refereeing* that is equally negiligent about player safety. The zebras left McD unpunished for two borderline hits earlier in the period. MaxPac therefore did the necessary thing and decided to exact justice himself. That’s what happens when you let things slide.

• CaliHab says:

Where did Patches acquire this punk rep????????

I have never heard this from anyone, he doesn’t fight, agitate, or trash talk. This is literally the first time I’ve seen him hit someone since the Letang incident.

Marchand is a punk, Ott is a punk, Burrows is a punk, Lappy is a punk, Lucic is a punk, Campbell is a punk, Kaleta is a punk.

Pacioretty is not a punk.

71. CaliHab says:

If Shannahan suspends Pacioretty, I hope Max tells him to shove it and reminds him that he will do it again.

72. crabvader says:

I can appreciate a coach like Torts for being so outspoken in a sport that usually will slap a fine on you for calling out officiating and such…

But sometimes you need to look in the mirror and realize that you aren’t coaching a bunch of angels yourself… Cut your losses and seal the mouth-box.

73. frontenac1 says:

There’s going to be a lot of left turns today.Bet on the Yellow Car amigos, its a cinch.