Pacioretty back on top line

AUDIO: Max Pacioretty (nice props to David Desharnais) | Jacques Martin

Max Pacioretty was on a top line as he went through his first practice since being recalled from Hamilton.

Pacioretty was at left wing on a line with Tom Pyatt and Brian Gionta. That’s the spot usually occupied by Andrei Kostitstyn. As for Pyatt, he was probably keeping the spot warm for Scott Gomez, who worked on his own with strength coach Pierre Allard.

Kostitsyn was teamed with Jeff Halpern and Max Lapierre.

The other lines were Tomas Plekanec-Mike Cammalleri-Travis Moen and Lars Eller-Benoit Pouliot-Mathieu Darche.

Josh Gorges did not practice. His partner, Hal Gill, skated with Dustin Boyd. The other D pairings were Roman Hamrlik-P.K. Subban and Alexandre Picard-Yannick Weber.

No sign of defenceman Jaroslav Spacek who left Saturday night’s game in Toronto with an upper-body injury.

1. Max_a_million says:

You haven’t heard of Googly Bear Gomez?  What have you been a fan for about 10 minutes???

Everyone knows about Googly Bear Gomez!  I’ts because his eyes google, he is cuddly like a bear, and he is an Alaskatonian.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

You never do research do you? JM departed Ottawa following the lockout. Ray Emery was in development in the minor-league system and did not become a regular goaltender until 2005-2006. Emery had 6 games up with Ottawa combined in the 02-03, 03-04 seasons. He had Lalime to throw against the Leafs.

Vokoun trade: Incorrect, Vokoun was traded for a 1st-round pick, a 2nd-round pick and a conditional 2nd-rounder. He was not moved for two firsts and Vokoun had a longer, more consistent record than Halak in the tougher Western Conference. Florida didn’t exactly have a strong scouting staff, 2005-2007 were not exactly banner years in the draft outside of the lottery selections and FLA has never had much money, so they have a smaller scouting staff and probably not very good scouts either.

Take some of your time and examine the actual facts in issue. FLA was missing the playoffs well before Jacques showed up and was handcuffed with the same thing every other GM does, no player who wants to succeed wants to stay/sign there and the players that do stay aren’t generally worth having.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

3. ctony says:

outstanding!!!

4. Da Hema says:

Those are splendid. Poor Darren Pang. Avery’s christmas card is funny.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

5. ctony says:

I like Gomez.  He is one of our top 6.  We’re better with him than without him in our lineup.  His salary didn’t cause us to lose out on a material FA signing this season.  But, he has underperformed this season relative to his career standards and most people’s expectations of a second line centre.

So, put the rant in perspective.  Lou didn’t resign him.  Glen traded him.  Could it be that his skills have diminished a little since these people took a shine to Scott?

6. Lancer says:

could not agree more

7. LA Loyalist says:

Of course you are right, the coach isn’t out there and if they are not executing then it’s on the players — ergo bag skate them into the St. Lawrence.

That said, this was supposed to be the team with ‘character’ and ‘intangibles’.  A great team HATES losing – against anybody, anywhere, anytime. As I said, it’s the pattern that’s disturbing. The loss against Detroit, fine. Leafs? Not so much.

As for my go-to guy, Messr. G – if he was making $4m I would shut up. But we have holes we can’t fill because of his salary, so it’s very frustrating when he’s not even minimally earning his crust. And I ultimately blame Captain BG for panicking, hamstringing us and getting hosed by Glenn Sather. Arghhh!

Maybe G will find his road to Damascus from being injured and it will light a fire under him. It could happen!

8. Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s true but Andrei has played less bad games this season than Gomez or Cammalleri. Playing Moen with Plekanec and Cammalleri is ridiculous.

9. Propwash says:

I liked Boucher as much as the next guy, but A: He was no longer obligated to stay in the organization, therefore he got a job in Tampa. B: there is no hockey team in the league that would tell a coach ” thanks for taking us to the ECF, buhbye” it just doesn’t happen. There is no decent NHL caliber coach that is available these days, and I believe JM is the best possible coach that was hired by the Habs. Yes, he blows my mind with some decisions, but the team became waaay better with him behind the bench.

10. habs365 says:

Kooch-AL46 is like the other top five…not sure…where ever martin puts him…could be on the 4th line against philly and boston…who knows.

11. BJT says:

His nickname is ‘Skillzy’

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

12. BJT says:

Firstly: Stop yer yellin’. We can hear you fine.

Secondly: Never heard of ‘googly bear gomez’ or ‘gionta go fishing’ in my life. JM is ‘the Count’ ’cause he looks carbon copy like the count from the muppets (that IS the muppets, right?). Plekanec is Thomas Jagr ‘cuz of what Theo called him in the playoffs last year, and ‘P.K.’ is, well, his first name.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

13. ctony says:

I can see laughing at the Isles, Calgary, the Leafs (of course), but Washington is ahead of us and their coach has a better career winning percentage than JM.

I am loving these lines.

15. ctony says:

What are you talking about?
    Ottawa went to the Cup Finals two years later WITHOUT JM led by Emery, JM had on his team.  That excuse is factually WRONG.  He couldn’t get past
    the Leafs — insert appropriate hmmmm at this point.

He was also the Panther’s coach for 4 seasons and GM for 2
    seasons.  During which time, their first
    rounders were McArdle (#20, 2005), Frolick (7, 2006), and Ellerby (10, 2007).  Let me know when they become top tier players
    due to JM’s tutelage.  You’ll be waiting
    a long time.  He had the chance to make
    this team whatever he wanted and finished OUT
    OF THE PLAYOFFS EVERY YEAR HE WAS THERE
    Ownership let him trade two first rounders and a second for Vokoun.  Which also, conveniently, disproves the
    goalies aren’t worth much as tradable assets story line.

You must be related to him to overlook all this.

You’re smart, help us out by spending your valuable time looking
    for a better coach rather than supporting this Jacques-average.

16. joshua94k says:

During the last two games, only two powerplay opportunities. Was there a memo from the league to limit the Canadiens powerplay? Do the Wings and Leafs play like saints? Something doesn’t make sense here….

17. habs365 says:

if those practise lines are the lines martin is gonna use in the philly and boston games…give philly and boston their 2 points now…it’ll probably save the Habs some injuries

18. punkster says:

Bah, what do they know about hockey? People here have far more hockey savvy than anybody you mention. Just ask us.

19. LA Loyalist says:

Carbo was even worse, doncha remember?

20. Rugger says:

Because Manatees (or is it Manati?) are mammels and thus have no “Gills”

21. joeybarrie says:

To finish my ranting from my posts below, I will say this. To all those who continuously bash Scott Gomez, let’s try to remember the people who DID have faith in him, and DID realize his capabilities… They include:

BOB GAINEY, GLEN SATHER, JOHN TORTORELLA, CLAUDE JULIEN, LARRY ROBINSON, LOU LAMORIELLO and fan favorite PAT BURNS…

Combined the have MORE than 13 Stanley Cups*, 4 Jack Adams awards and over 200 games won…

* I tried not to count the same Stanley Cup or games won more than once…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. Max_a_million says:

THIS IS SO NOT FAIR I GO ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE’S CRAZY NICKANMES LIKE ‘THE COUNT’, ‘THOMAS JAGR’, ‘GOOGLY BEAR GOMEZ’, ‘GIONTA GO FISHING’, AND ‘P.K.’ …

I want him to be the ‘hockey Manatee’ please! please! please!

23. habs365 says:

How the hell can a player pick up his game when he doesn’t know what line he’s gonna be playing on…martin being told a 1000 times to put his top six forwards on the 1st and 2nd line, how hard is that…let them be and they’ll figure each other out and play better hockey…that’s all’s wrong with this team…screwing with the lines…wonder why they have no consistency…almost half way through the season and still trying to figure out lines…how many other teams do you see doing that…check it out…only the ones that’s losing…if he doesn’t stop soon…this team is going to join them……..

24. shiram says:

Glargh… Total misread on my part there, my humblest apologies.

25. LA Loyalist says:

Gee, Gomez sure disappointed a lot of big names. Not sure you want to broadcast that if you’re a fan of G’s.

26. Kooch7800 says:

Boyd is back on waivers again.  Feel bad for the guy. I hope someone picks him up or they let him play in Hamilton.

Why is Moen still playing in the top 6?  I would rather have Lappy up there as he is fast, hits and has some hands.  Moen has hands of Stone and not a lot of offensive instincts.

Where did AK46 go?

27. Max_a_million says:

oh … that’s a reasonable counter argmument.  Thanks.

28. shiram says:

I am the Popeye of poutine, so bring it on!

29. notbigbird says:

Migawd man. One of six.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Because he’s already been dubbed the SS Hal Gill by a few places ’round the hockey world.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

31. ctony says:

How about squid or octopus?

32. Max_a_million says:

I will fight you, and after I have vanquished you eat your poutine!

Take it back!

33. Vid says:

I agree. Kostitsyn might be inconsistent but even so he’s more of an offensive threat than Moen will ever be at his best.

It’s funny how whenever line juggling is done, one of the first changes is to put Moen on one of the top two lines despite the fact that it never does much to spark the offense.

34. ctony says:

That’s a fair question, but I don’t have any replacements in mind. It would make a good discussion around here.

I’d like to see a coach with an aggressive forechecking system who prefers an uptempo game.   I liked Boucher and think he has very good long term potential.  Notwithstanding TB’s record, they are letting up the least number of shots per game and still losing.  If Boucher had Price, his early numbers would be better.

I don’t follow enough junior and minor league teams (outside of our prospects) to have a feel for the up and coming coaches and can’t think of a suitable retread type.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Are we a little upset this morning that Gomez being off the roster didn’t lead to a winning streak that you could use as an excuse to say he needs to be out?

Some of this has been coaching here and there of course, but the players have been far too flat in their embarassing losses, if they will not move their feet, I doubt it is because JM told them that’s what they ought to do. Players take some responsibility here. Too often in the bad losses, it’s not the strategy that is not working, it’s that not a single pass between the Habs skaters is going where it should. JM is a puck-possession coach and I doubt that’s part of his gameplan.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

36. thorandresson says:

It’s just practice and all those lines seem pretty messed up.  I really hope that MaxPac is there to replace Moen in the top 6.  It certainly seems that way since JM went to the Hamilton game to watch on Sunday and that was followed by a call-up.

37. Max_a_million says:

Hi I am Maxime, and I am a Canadien.

or

Bon Jour je m’appelle Maxime, et je suis Canadien.

Scores everytime!

J – On the flipside, you could ask what our record is with or without Markov.

39. shiram says:

6 out of many missed games by Gomez?? Without the total number of games missed by Gomez,saying we won 6 without him doesnt mean as much.

40. Storm Man says:

Tony:)…………………. Im joking.

41. shiram says:

Manatee is not a great nickname for anyone anywhere, its just not very complimentary.

42. Les-Habitants says:

There are a few days of pratice left, I’d imagine it is more a message than anything.  Andrei didn’t have a good weekend, to say the least.

But yah, he does us no good if he’s not on a scoring line.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

JM has what he never had in OTT, a goalie who could make a stop when it counted. Giving him Patrick Lalime as his goaltender in those years was a grand insult and guaranteed failure for the team in the post-season. Florida is a hole, no money and it’s not like JM had a lot to work with upon his arrival outside of a couple core players. That team was doomed before he showed up and it will continue to be so.

Scotty Bowman couldn’t save FLA from being FLA.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Amazing that JM insists on putting Moen on a scoring line.

Scoring line? We have scoring lines?

45. Max_a_million says:

Important question of the day:

Why hasn’t the ‘hockey manatee’ or the ‘human manatee’ caught on as a nickname for Hal Gill playing the penalty kill???  For goodness sake he lays about the ice like a giant manatee sucking up crossing passes in front of the crease.  He is doing a great job on the penalty kill, and I think it’s embarrasing that we haven’t dubbed him with a cool nickname as a reward for it!

Hal ‘hockey manatee’ Gill … c’mon let’s start a movement here Habbanatics!!!

46. JasonM says:

Hold on a sec… Kosty’s on our third line and Moen’s on our 2nd? *pinches himself*

This is unreal.

47. Jordio-oh says:

Just did some digging and noticed the Habs have only won one of six games they’ve played without Gomez in the line-up. Could be a coincidence, or it could be related, meaningful or meaningless. In the end, the purpose of researching and posting has more to do with me loving statistics than anything else.

48. Propwash says:

Ill bite…. Got any suggestions that could replace JM?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

49. Max_a_million says:

Oh my now we are laughing on the inside about the funny you have posted, and we are having wonderful Monday fun.  We all can agree now this is the best way to have fun enjoying our team!

50. LA Loyalist says:

Be glad we’re not Bruce Boudreau this morning – 0-7 against NYR. Yikes!

My concern, Serious, is not that we have a flat game after a emotionally tough game (Detroit) but that we have shown a pattern all year, and in fact in past years, of not showing up against teams “below us”.

A one-off, fine, forget it and move on, but we’ve played like crap in about half a dozen games this year against “inferior” teams and that is a huge red flag to me.

I know it’s human nature, but part of the coach’s job is to manage the emotional / effort roller coaster, not too high, not too low. Now that Price is so steady (who knew?) we have no excuse to be this schizophrenic?

Am I crazy to expect a more consistent effort? This isn’t an all-rookie team, there should be leadership from the older players too.

51. dh says:

Come on.  If we’re all not in a position to question JM what do we talk about here? What are we supposed to bitch about then?  Sucky refs?  Don Cherry?

52. ctony says:

Why the JM lovefest?  He’s a career .550 coach.  Which sounds good, until you consider…

That the average team
    has a .554 winning percentage over the past five years — thanks NHL for
    handing out a free point for overtime losses.
    That leaves JM just below average
    for his career.  Which is about right
    when you consider his uninspired playoff run in Ottawa and pathetic run in
    Florida.

Most people wanted JM
    gone last season.

Apparently Halak’s playoff
    performance and Price’s start this season have you seeing through Chocula-coloured
    glasses

53. Habsrule1 says:

Agreed 100%. Questioning decisions is more than fine. Calling the coach names, etc when he is doing pretty darn well is something else.

There are things he does…hell, things every coach does, that I don’t agree with. I assume that he’s usually making his decisions based on information he’s gathered in his 1000+ games coaching in the NHL, and even that doesn’t guarantee that he’s right. If he was losing more than he’s winning, I’d probably on him much more when I disagree with what he does.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

54. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Yes Agreed. Let us all be thinky about our team.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

Your lines make sense to me.  That would also give us two PK teams of Gionta/Gomez and Moen/Halpern.

Pyatt is going to be in tough once Gomez returns.  Weber can play with Hamrlik.

56. Mark C says:

I’d bet my money on those lines too. Pyatt clearly won’t center a top-6 line, by practicing out of position it would suggest that he’ll most likely be the scratch. It’s time to reunite that top line, and Max gives the Gomez-Gio line a big body who is willing and able to shoot (Moen is barely averaging a shot a game, while Max is almost getting 5 a game in the A.

Think Shelly should have gotten more than two games, brainless play on his part.

57. Thomas says:

Why do you have all the centres on left wing??  I love those lines with the centres where they are supposed to be…at centre.

Cammy plays great with pleks, an gio an gomer gotta get goin at some point, an i like the addition of patches to that line, good speed & size.

Fingers crossed for this alignment!

58. Max_a_million says:

I don’t think wondering about the lines, having thoughts and suggestions, and questioning the lines is tantamount to hating, disliking, having disdain for, not trusting, or any of the above with JM.

Like the rest of us he is not perfect, and will make mistakes.  We all have players we like better or worse in our minds, even if we like them all and love the team.

I think it’s alright to say that it seems like it’s not working at all to have Moen on the top two lines, or things of the sort.  Perhaps the people who are questioning our questioning shouldn’t be so sensitive and allow us to be thinky about our team.  Please take that as it is put out as food for thought, and not attacking or offensive.

Cheers

59. ctony says:

Not sure I would call Patches/Pyatt/Gionta
    our top line.  I can almost understand it
    if Gomez comes back and replaces Pyatt.  If
    JM stays with AK/Halpern/Laps, then
    that leaves: Cammi/Plecs/Moen; and Darche/Eller/Pouliot

Amazing that JM insists on putting Moen on a scoring line.

I
    would like to see him on a sandpaper line with with Halpern and Laps.  That leaves Eller with Pouliot and Darche and
    leaves JM to fiddle with Plecs/Cammi/Gionta/Gomez/AK/Patches to create two
    scoring lines.

60. Propwash says:

Yep, I mean, lookit the Caps. Totally tearing it up…….. LOL, couldn’t say that with a straight face.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

61. zozotheclown says:

I’m confused, if Patches is will that line, waiting for Gomez, and AK46 is with Halpern, then whose with Plecks and Cammy? Probably just practice lines anyway, but Moen in AK46’s spot would be… displeasing…. if it ever happened to start a game that is.

62. Max_a_million says:

They will just replace him with Carcillo, which could be worse.

63. Max_a_million says:

Since today apparently?

So that leaves Plekanek, Cammalleri, and Moen???

Eller, Darche, and Pouliot …

Weird lines, hopefully they change tomorrow.

On another note, I would like to see Desharnais get a chance to play.

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Team seems to be on a winning record despite the evil machinations of JM, funny that.

Still can’t believe people think a team they accuse of not being Contender-class can have this good a record when the coach sucks. I don’t say that the Habs are Contenders quite yet, but your team has to be stacked like crazy to overcome bad coaching.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

65. Habsrule1 says:

JM’s job is to get them as high in the standings as possible and as deep in the playoffs as possible. He hasn’t done too bad a job there, has he?

No doubt the players should be ready for every game, and the coaching staff needs to take some responsibility for that, but you need to look at the big picture as well.

66. Mats Naslund says:

Agreed. Gomez is injured, and if you’re going to ‘send a message’ today (two days out from a game) is the time to do it.

Fearless Prediction:

Plex-AK46-Cammy

Gomez-Gio-Patches

Eller-Pouliot-Darche

Halpern-Moen-Lappierre

Not that I think Pyatt has played his way out of the lineup – but Patches moves Moen back into the bottom 6 where he can be more effective – and also creates a battle for spots. Philly is big, so I say Halpern with Moen and Laps.

Shelly is suspended.. so we won’t be seeing him on the pp at the end of the game for Philly.

67. punkster says:

I’m astounded that you continue to claim hockey knowledge. But then again, not really.

68. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Since when is Patches-Pyatt-Gionta a top line?

69. LA Loyalist says:

So it’s ok w you that we just mailed it in on hnic against the crappy leafs? Isn’t it count choculas job to have them prepared?

Just asking because I am astounded by your comment.

70. jennifer1984 says:

As others have mentioned, I do think Cammy needs to be back with Pleks. We saw the results right away on Saturday.

He played harder, looked happier, etc.

Hopefully MaxPac’s success with the Dogs will spill onto his game up here.

71. Mark C says:

Max-Pac-Gomez-Gionta, makes a lot of sense, Max and Gionta will help to outset Gomez’s current reluctance to shoot. I would guess come game time Wednesday the top line will be Cammy-Pleks-AK46. Maybe JM is trying to send a small message to AK46 to pick up his game, which has recently been slacking.

It’s pretty funny reading people crap on practice lines two full days before the next game, man some people just hate JM.

72. Habsrule1 says:

Although I don’t agree with PK sitting out 3 games, I really don’t feel I am in a position to question JM, unlike some people who seem to think they know what’s best for the team much more than a coach who got the Habs to the eastern conference final and now into 3rd place in the conference.

Can we please give the JM bashing a rest, at least until the team plays like Saturday more than once a month…..FFS.