Updated: Habs’ Max Pacioretty a Masterton finalist

Max Pacioretty

Habs’ Max Pacioretty rebounded from terrible injury to enjoy a career season in 2011-12.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

Congratulations to Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, whose remarkable season following a grave injury has earned him one of three finalists’ positions for this season’s Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

Here’s Max’s reaction from a conference call Tuesday afternoon.

Pacioretty is in the running for the award with Toronto’s Joffrey Lupul and Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson.

So Brooks Orpik of the Penguins is quite optimistic that there will not be a work stoppage this upcoming season.

2. H.Upmann says:

Maybe Galchenyuk is the highest possible risk with highest reward giving out draft pick number?

3. habsfan0 says:

Will Boone be liveblogging tomorrow’s Bos/Wash game?

4. Stormin says:

Pawn stars, Storage Wars and now i even like American Restoratiom that guy the pawn stars use to restore all the antiques they steal from the I need some money for Vegas dudes

• commandant says:

I like Storage Wars, I’ll have to check the other two…

Auction Hunters is also cool.

Stay away from that cheap imitation show Storage Hunters though, it is awful.

• Stormin says:

I already lost some time with Storage hunters your right crap Have you seen Storage Wars Texas, same as Storage Wars although I like the characters on the original better, but the Texas version is pretty good as well, almost feel like giving that a try they make it seem so easy to make money, but i am sure it is not so easy.

PS if you like Storage Wars you will definitely like Pawn Stars sort of the same idea of incorporating some history lessons into reality tv.
        Be careful here as well Pawn Stars has imitators the best version is Pawn Stars from Vegas, there is also one from Louisiana and Detroit.

• AH says:

Cajun Pawn Stars is the new one..it’s actually quite good imo, just as good as the original. The one I couldn’t stand was the one from Detroit, the one where they were a family and the head guy wore a black leather jacket…that family sure looked, talked and acted like pawn “slimeballs”.

• Stormin says:

I agree the Cajun version is pretty good, some off the wall characters, and they incorporate history as in the original Vegas version.

The Detroit version is so BS and full of stereotypical exaggerations. with all kinds of confrontations with most of them having the feel like they have been scripted, and actually like they probably do re-takes it all looks so fake and sketchy.

• Propwash says:

Pawn Stars is an awesome show, so is Ice Pilots NWT.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Stormin says:

Pawn Stars is great, man would i love to work in that store the history that walks in their shop, those guys look like they love there job and why not.

Have not seen Ice Pilots NWT yet, but I have seen this other pretty cool show called Gold Rush Alaska/NWT real good as well. How these people get these ultra interesting hard but cool jobs damn. I need new employment.

5. habstrinifan says:

WOW! Some cracks between coach and players (Anderson/Spezza) from game 6. I think for Anderson this will motivate him but for Spezza I am not sure.

6. JohnBellyful says:

Geez, I go away for awhile and come back, and you guys are still talkin’ hockey.
    Curfew’s in 15 minutes, fellas. Wrap it up!

7. habstrinifan says:

Well my observation that Vigneault could not reach the ‘souls’ of his players were essentially echoed by Vancouver management today… only they used the word motivation.

Pro athletes find their own motivation if you , as a coach, can awaken their soul.

8. habstrinifan says:

I was trying to rush to post simply that that was the most brilliant ‘assist’ of the playoffs. Skating at full speed, cutting right and passing against your body, threading a hard pass to your teammate that he can skate onto wthout breakin stride.. wow.. and no look too.

But the TSN. panelists beat me to it… they all were praising the ‘pass’.

9. smiler2729 says:

Okay, Jennifer Hedger needs me… she’s only human.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    The Bruins and their fans are gutless weasel pukes.

10. Chuck says:

Cool. Now I can go back to watching Pawn Stars.

___________________________________________________

11. smiler2729 says:

Watching Florida vs what’s-their-names in OT on TrannaSports Network… and I just gotta say : there’s nothing gayer than these idiots on the panel picking their “Overtime scorers”, when the hell did this ritual start and why do we care?

’nuff said.

Back to Raising Hope.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    The Bruins and their fans are gutless weasel pukes.

I like the part where James Duthie has to write down their picks with his pen for authenticity, i guess they don’t record those segments.

And none of them picked Zajac ;-)

• smiler2729 says:

And my stress free playoff continues with 3 game 7s!!!

I’d rather risk cardiac with the Habs in it, though

Just sayin’

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        The Bruins and their fans are gutless weasel pukes.

12. Stormin says:

Olli crap guys, whats up, chill town may be in order.

Olli has looked great in the O playoffs as has Tinordi.

There are always some huge jumps in the draft and there is always some huge surprise picks by teams scouting departments, like Claude Giroux by the Flyers.

There are so many routes and reasons to why teams make the pick or why players stock rise and fall.

Claude Giroux may have remained a second round pick as projected, if it were not for Ron Hextall leaving the Flyers to work with the Los Angeles kings in 2006 and then being part of the Kings War team that then selected Trevor Lewis with the Kings first pick 17th overall, infuriating the Flyers hierarchy and Bobby Clarke as that was the Flyers intended first round target.

The Draft and its projections has endless opinions and any who have watched amateur hockey on a regular basis should carry some weight, whether for fun and or beer talk or on a paid professional level,.

13. punkster says:

Well now that was fun, wasn’t it kids?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

14. commandant says:

Moving On

OT Predictions?

I got Parise and Weiss

15. TomNickle says:

Commandant,

“It’s very possible that he becomes a top 5 pick” is not a definitive statement.

It is acknowledgement that Olli Maatta has played at an elite level in the CHL since his arrival in North America and more specifically since Mark Hunter took over for Dale Hunter in London.

Based on that, the London Knights deep run in the OHL playoffs(a time where Maatta has elevated his play even further) and the possibility of him being showcased more in the Memorial Cup. I made a statement that in my opinion he COULD end up being drafted in the top 5 of the coming NHL draft.

Take a breath, put your sword away and chill the hell out.

• commandant says:

I never took out a sword… again go over the exchange again. I remained and continue to remain respectful.

I think the person who is angry and needs to chill out, is the one who is resorting to juvenile insults….

I came here to talk puck not get into childish name calling spats.

• TomNickle says:

Telling me to look up the definition of semantics after me having brought up that you have been arguing them with me over the last two days is what has got my back up. And to be fair, you’ve been nothing but combative in conversations with me. Quite often taking personal opinion that I’ve cited to be declaration of fact which couldn’t be further from the truth.

You know just as well as I do that you’ve been insulting me repeatedly for a couple of days now. I’d just appreciate a conversation where you don’t feel the need to attack.

You’re quick to point out points of debate as incorrect when that just happens to be your opinion. The very second your opinion has content that is incorrect you got your back up.

The self-righteous stuff is a little over the top.

• commandant says:

If you’ve felt insulted by what I’ve said, I apologize.. as it was never my intent. At no point did I call you any names, or attack you personally, but if you’re still insulted… I apologize and walk away.

I’m not here to fight with you or anyone else.

• TomNickle says:

Telling someone to look up the definition of something isn’t something reasonable people feel to be respectful.

I prefer to enjoy conversation with people here like most of the others. From the few conversations I’ve had with you I’ve been able to figure out that you’re bright enough to know that you don’t need to call people names to insult.

If you don’t want acknowledge it and play stupid that’s fine.

Either way I have no problem talking hockey or sports with you I’d just ask that if you’re going to be argumentative about everything, that you at the very least prepare to acknowledge your own mistakes as you seem to have a habit of demanding I acknowledge something as little as perceived mistake in your eyes.

• TomNickle says:

How about this then. If you’re going to throw it in people’s faces when they make an error, how bout you own up to yours when you make them?

• Bill says:

I went over the exchange, and you were being kind of a d-bag actually.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Here is my 2cents regarding the Olli Matta you guys are disussing.

It is spelled Olli Maatta, and I don’t know how to put the dots on the A’s.

Nevermind, noticed spelling was corrected later in conversation, so I have nothing further to add :)

17. TomNickle says:

Olli Matta with two goals tonight for the London Knights. He really blossomed under Mark Hunter immediately following Dale’s departure.

It’s very possible that he winds up becoming a top 5 pick. Personal opinion here but I think he’s playing better than Cam Fowler did down the stretch for Windsor a couple of years ago.

And that Jared Tinordi guy who will never become a two way defenseman in the eyes of many scouts has eight points before the conclusion of his 14th playoff game. Looks to me like his offensive game is developing quite nicely. It showed at the WJHC too.

• Malreg says:

IIRC, Matta wasn’t even on Button’s last top 60 list.

No chance in hell Maatta is taken in the top 5… NONE, ZERO, ZILCH

• TomNickle says:

Yeah it’s not like the second half of the season, CHL playoffs and Memorial Cup have ever raised a player’s draft stock. Never happens.

Ahem, Jonathan Huberdeau.

• commandant says:

Lol, you are gonna compare Maatta to Huberdeau who absolutely dominated his league…. not even close.

Maatta won’t even go top 10…

1) Huberdeau rose from a top 10 pick to a top 3 pick, big difference between that and what Maatta is doing (he’s going from a late 1st to top 15).
          2) The other huge difference Huberdeau tore apart the league. Won scoring titles, playoff MVPs, Mem Cup MVP. Maatta’s put together a good 2nd half, but NO ONE is calling him the Knights MVP or the OHL MVP.

• TomNickle says:

This is Maatta’s first season of North American hockey and he put up over thirty points in just over fifty games and is well over a point per game pace in the playoffs.

He was selected first in the import draft ahead of Mikhail Grigorenko funny enough.

Maatta himself has been pretty damn dominant. Again, in his first season of North American hockey.

• TomNickle says:

And out of curiosity. I’m curious how you know for a fact that Maatta won’t be selected in the top five to the point where the mere speculation of it sent you fuming?

Been chuggin beers with Burkie, Howson and Snow have ya?

• commandant says:

He was picked first in the import draft because Grigorenko/Roy had a deal where Grigo would only report to Quebec and he would have stayed in the KHL if London drafted him.

Maatta is a nice prospect, but he is nowhere close to the class of Ryan Murphy, Matt Dumba, Morgan Rielly and Jacob Trouba… not even close.

• TomNickle says:

Considering the enthusiasm with which you’ve been throwing semantics in my face for the last couple of days I’d be a fool not to point out to you that Mikhail Grigorenko hasn’t played a single minute of KHL hockey.

I suppose I could also mention that he’s climbed draft rankings since his arrival in North America and that going deep in the OHL playoffs and a potential Memorial Cup showing while again, playing his first season of North American Hockey will only serve to increase his value further. But I won’t do that.

Perhaps in the future you won’t be taking comments so literally and be a bit less of a jerk about arguing semantics.

• commandant says:

Please look up the definition of “semantics” before you start throwing accusations about what I’m arguing.

• commandant says:

Of course if you’re so sure he’s going top 5, you could put your money where your mouth is.

I’ll donate $20 to HockeyFightsCancer if he does….

You donate whatever you think is fair to the same charity if he doesn’t.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah. We’ve had discussions over the past couple of days where you’ve taken things I’ve said. Namely regarding european professional hockey and twisted them to suit an argumentative agenda.

We don’t need to get back into all of that needless to say that you’ve been very zealous about jumping down my throat at every turn.

You were dead wrong here and instead of actually correcting yourself or admitting the mistake you instead tell me to look up the definition of semantics?

You’re a class act champ. Take a long walk off of a short pier and call it a night.

• TomNickle says:

You know what slugger. Screw it. I’ll jump in and be a jerk with you.

What KHL team did Mikhail Grigorenko play for? Which one was he “going back to” if Patrick Roy didn’t get him in the import draft?

Which?

• commandant says:

I’ve remained respectful. You on the other hand have used a number of insults such as “jerk” and told me to “walk off a pier”

I guess I’ll just walk away, and you can remain the champ.

Funny how you didn’t want to put your money where your mouth is though.

• TomNickle says:

I’ve had around a half dozen(NOT EXACT) conversations with you since you’ve joined the site as a member and you’ve been a jerk in every single one of them.

So yeah, I called you a jerk. Courtesy among the most tense conversations here is what makes this place work. A lesson you’ll soon learn if you’d like to continue carrying on conversations with people.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Where do the leafs and islanders pick? There’s a chance I might go “top five” to one of those two teams.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• Stev.R says:

It took Chara 24 years before he started to show any signs that he could put up any offensive numbers.

18. chilli says:

So Brisson says no. Nill says no… I guess it’s as hard to convince a GM as it is a free agent to come to Montreal.

“C’mon, live in the frozen tundra, get heavily taxed, learn how to speak French, have 3.8 million people scrutinize your every move”.

Tre

• TomNickle says:

Nill pointed to family reasons and it’s well known as of today that his wife is in poor health and doesn’t want to relocate her.

Pat Brisson makes in the neighbourhood of $6 million annually from his high profile player contracts alone. That’s just player salaries, not including marketing deals for those players of which there are many. A conservative estimate of his annual income would probably come in around $10 million annually. Pretty good incentive to stay in his current role.

• habstrinifan says:

Brisson saying no I use as evidence that HABS are in for a massive dose of good karma in 2012 onwards.

19. HFX-HabFan says:

London up 4-2 on Kitchener going into the third in Game 3 of the OHL West final. A Knights win would put them up 3-0 in the series.

20. habstrinifan says:

It’s nights like these Eklund makes good reading. Man wish the HABS were ….. I better not go there.

21. Bripro says:

The NJ-FLA game reminds me of a human knot.

22. habstrinifan says:

Guess everyone must have heard the latest tidbit re GM job. Jim Nill did indeed have TWO very good interviews for the job. According to Mr Nill, “they were interested and I was interested”. But Mr. Nill had to sit down and do some serious thinking about ‘moving’ cause his wife is not well. He decided to not make a move because of family.

Best wishes to he and his wife. I would have been very happy if it had worked out that he could have made the move.

Looks good on Molson/Savard really doing full search.

23. EricInStL says:

If anyone gives Vancouver anything more than a 3rd rounder is nuts. Also I would send back a bad contract something like a Kaberle contract.

Vancouver should pay teams to get Luongo off their hands.

Bob McKenzie raised a good point regarding Luongo’s contract. The final 3 years are in the 1million per season range (truly a clear example of a contract designed to circumvent cap). He does not expect Luongo to play the final 3 maybe even 4 year of his contract. Because it is not a 35+ contract, if he indeed retires, does not hurt cap. If indeed Luongo does not intend to play 10 more years, this becomes somewhat more pallatable.

• TomNickle says:

I was never Luongo’s biggest fan but he showed me a lot today and regardless of whether or not you like the man, he presents a significant upgrade at his position for over a half dozen teams if not more.

Of the teams TSN mentioned they also neglected San Jose, Dallas, Columbus, Minnesota, Colorado, Edmonton, Ottawa, The Islanders and Winnipeg.

There should probably be more of a market for Luongo than they let on.

• Malreg says:

Dallas has Lehtonen, Winnipeg has Pavelec, doubt Ottawa would be interested with Anderson and Lehner waiting in the wings…

The only teams I can see being seriously interested are Toronto, Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, and maybe Edmonton, but they wouldn’t trade him withinIMO their division, so you can count Edmonton out.

Would he waive his no-trade to go to Columbus? I wouldn’t… IMO it comes down to Toronto, Tampa, and Florida.

• TomNickle says:

Lehtonen and Pavelec have shown flashes but I don’t think I’d rule out their respective teams. Ottawa probably doesn’t want the high salary but Anderson has been wildly inconsistent and it speaks volumes about Lehner that they acquired Ben Bishop.

I watched alot of Jets games this year Tom, Pavelec was solid all year and is the single biggest reason the Jets were even close to a playoff spot. The fans absolutely love him, there is no way Wpg even considers Luongo, IMO.

• Duracell3 says:

Back to Florida would be a humorous twist.

• ABHabsfan says:

Luongo has a NTC isn’t that right? So he would have to sign off on the trade. I think SJ is a real possibility. I can’t see him OKing a trade to CBJ, Edm, Winn or back to the Isles. What about Chi? They would have to make significant moves to make it work cap-wise though

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

24. habstrinifan says:

Congrats Max Pac.

Which reminds me..

Forgot today is off day for Bruins-Wsh…. Did my voodoo ceremony and had my Boston vodoo dolls all grotesquely mutilated and hung my Boston team picture under the Voodoo Loa Agassu who would possess them all and make their aim crooked…..

Oh Well gotta pay another visit to the blood bank tomorrow.

25. JohnBellyful says:

Your Honour, I wish to withdraw my remark.

26. Stev.R says:

Players joining Hamilton next season:
    Greg Pateryn – Ass’t Captain of U of Mich
    Jarred Tinordi – Captain of London
    Michael Bournival – Captain of Cape breton; Ass’t Captain in Shaw
    Morgan Ellis – Captain of Shawnigan
    Patrick Holland – Ass’t Captain of Tri-City
    Brendan Gallagher – Captain of Vancouver

Maybe:
    Beaulieu (needs to sign) – Ass’t Captain of St. John
    Quailer (needs to sign) – MVP of NorthEastern
    Dietz (probably won’t sign as Sask is hosting mem cup) – Ass’t Captain of Saskatoon

• HabFab says:

Dietz is too young to sign, Beaulieu can go either way due to his birthday and 4 years playing CHL. Quailer was considering his options the last I heard.

• Stev.R says:

Timmins says Quailer is a lot like Pacioretty except he’s faster but not as much muscle. There were reports of him not be as dedicated off the ice, but it looks like that may have been corrected over the last season. He’s 6’4”, 200 lbs who scored 25 points in 26 games last season. I hope he decides to play for Hamilton next season. Coming into a team with guys like Gally and Tinordi would be good for all of them. And maybe in couple years Quailer could be a solid 2nd or 3rd liner for the Habs.

• JohnBellyful says:

This is a hockey site?

Who is this Stev.R and what does he think he is doing? WHy is Frank responding to him?

• JohnBellyful says:

Must be a young pup. Doesn’t know Tuesday is Dave HodgePodge Night at HIO.

• punkster says:

Anything to distract from this crushingly boring game.

And with that it’s time to walk the dog.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

Is there a game on?
            I go for supper, fix my plumbing, miss the shoot out between you and JB, and I’m missing a game to boot?
            Would have been nice had someone mentioned something.
            And what’s this about a new rookie on the site?
            Has he been initiated?….or she?

haha i am just heading out to do the same thing.

• HabFab says:

Don’t forget your baggies!!!

• Bripro says:

What baggies! It was the post-winter pick up last week for us in the back. I’ve never seen my son gag so much in his life. Almost a garbage bag.
            And to think I picked up all winter. That 15-year-old lab of ours is a sh!tt!ng machine!

And that is why I try to never miss a day of pickup. By the way, so you fixed your plumbing….hmmmm so many things I could say. I trust your flow is now good.

• Bripro says:

Flowing just fine thanks!
            It’s all guaranteed! ;)

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks Steve.

27. RC-51 says:

A little disappointed that Kristo is going back to ND and not Hamilton But I guess education is important, or maybe he isn’t planing on playing pro?

Kristo states he’s going back to school for another year.

Who cares?

29. ont fan says:

Heard the price for Luongo will be the same as the price for Gomez. Please take this contract off our hands. CBC

• ZepFan2 says:

Great. So it’s Gomez straight up for Luongo then?

Better known as the swap of the “monster” contracts.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• HabFab says:

Naw, I got a better offer today! Komo for Gomo! and we still have $2.5 ml for a big tough defenseman :D

• ZepFan2 says:

Komo and “tough” don’t really go together. Since the beat down by Lurch, Komo hasn’t been the same.

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• HabFab says:

Hence we still have $2.5 left in Cap difference to get a big tough D.

PS; WTF is that sarcastic font button?

• ZepFan2 says:

I go with this :razz: when I’m being sarcastic.

But thanks for sucking me into your sarCHASM. :smile:

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

John! With the Belly Full.
    I was not to happy when the Hab’s obtained speedy Gill. But I did come to appreciate what he brought to the table on our run (or walk) 3 and two years ago. Well worth the money my friend.

I personally think Punkster and JB finished in a draw a tie, I will let you two settle the tiebreaker, here are some suggestions.

32. CF says:

Great for Patches, he deserves the award, but my guy says Alfie given he’s the captain, and his team made the playoffs.
    Was thinking about the possibility of the Habs trading their top pick for someone that’s already a front line center.
    What about Jordan Staal. Not sure if Pitt would do it, but would make sense. It would have to come after a contract extension though, given Staal only has one year remaining before he becomes a UFA.
    Problem is, he’s looking at a raise, one that would probably put us in danger unless Gomez and Kaberle are both gone.
    I have heard the rumours Montreal was after Huberdeau. This would make more sense, given our need for a star that signs for a minimum, rather than trading for a max guy. Last thing we need right now is more salary.

33. Adidess says:

Hey guys, I have been at work all day and can’t say I have read comments coming in earlier on Pacioretty being a Masterton finalist.

I am happy for Patches of course, but I almost threw my mobile device against the wall across me, upon reading how NHL.com describes the incident where Pacioretty almost got killed.

The piece reads ‘Pacioretty collided with the partition at the end of the visiting bench at the Bell Centre’. Is that what happened? AYFKM!?

34. JohnBellyful says:

The last few days I’ve been bothered late at a night by a nagging scientific question, and believe it or not, it has to do with Gill. Hal Gill, the guy who used to play for the Canadiens, remember? Anyways, he was a slow skater, right, and now he’s hurt. Lower-body injury. Not good. If you thought he was slow before, I can only imagine what kind of foot speed he’ll have when he returns to action. Which leads me to this question which I hope someone here who’s scientifically inclined can answer: Is it possible Gill could be so slow that he’s unable to keep up with the earth’s rotation, so that when he starts leading a rush out of his own end from just inside the blue line, he ends up behind his own net?

35. ont fan says:

So I’m watching Bob Mcgown on Sportsnet and he introduces the next GM of the Habs. Dale Tallon. Then Tallon says don’t stir the pot.
    Apparently they have ownership problems.

• Ozmodiar says:

He was going to introduce him as such, but couldn’t bring himself to do it. He didn’t want to put him on the spot. Cox gave him a hard time for not following through.

I liked the end of the interview where Tallon said “merci beaucoup”, and McCown told him the language skills might come in handy down the road. :)

Probably old news, but I just heard Mike Gillis talking about Cody Hodgson and how they showcased him, didn’t let him take defensive zone faceoffs and are happy to have traded him and would make trade again. Also mentioned he spent more time on Hodgson’s issues over past three years than everybody else.

Has Mike Gillis ever attended the Bobby Clarke school of managing players? Why come out now and trash Hodgson, apparantly the reputation of Gillis being a big whiner is well deserved.

Regardless of what Hodgson was like, you already traded him, why bash a guy and make yourself look like a weasel. Oh I am so dissappointed that Vancouver was knocked out.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s delicious to hear, finally to get some insight from inside a dressing room right from the horse’s mouth, instead of muted innuendo from lapdog team ‘reporters’.

You are quite right, however, that the better course of action for Mr. Gillis would have been to remain mum on the issue. He couldn’t help himself, a reporter was questioning him on the wisdom of the trade, and he felt he had to defend it/himself. He should have swallowed hard and said: “Cody is a fine player and he’ll be successful in Buffalo, it was just a trade we had to make to address a need on our team. Zach is a fine player and he will be successful in Vancouver.”

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

37. commandant says:

Danny Kristo has decided to stay at North Dakota for one more year.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Wow Chelsea through to the Final in Champions League, Oh please can my Bayern Munich boys advance tomorrow, could be first ever Champions League final with one of the teams in final playing in their home stadium.

Well James Duthie just said that the last time an elite goalie was traded, it was Luongo from Florida to Vancouver. Don’t shoot the messenger, but he made no mention of a trade involving Montreal and St. Louis.

40. commandant says:

Only 1 game going on tonight and its that boring series?

Who took my hockey away?

41. punkster says:

There once was an AGM Nill,
    And a spot for a GM to fill.
    Montreal is the place,
    But he’s out of the race,
    And his chances now seem simply nil.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

hehe, well done Dr. Seuss!

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m telling JB!

———————————–

He should have received a fresh bottle of Crown Royal today in the mail, I don’t anticipate we hear anything from JB today, maybe a gurgling sound at best.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great strategy. Keep him in drink so he’s not available for the GM job. Hey? Can we try that on PM? :)

———————————–

No no no I want him as GM, I am just hoping to get his nerves relaxed, he interviews better in a relaxed state. Someone may have to send him some breath mints or perhaps some fresh garlic.

• JohnBellyful says:

The Crown Royal arrived! Smoooooth. Thanks, Burl’.
            I feel like waxing poetic, and Punkster is my muse:

In looking for men who aspire
            The Habs’ top role to acquire
            The team chose the best
            And now they are blessed
            With a GM whose name is Loiselle

This is for P

• Habfan10912 says:

Bravo JB.

———————————–

• punkster says:

For JB:

If you’re looking to find the real lord,
            The man who will lead this mad horde.
            Look down and you’ll see,
            He’s there by your knee.
            The real power employs a sell sword.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

A poetic jousting match has begun, sorry Punkster my money is on JB, but may the best man win!

• HabFab says:

Not sure there HiB….Punkster actually reads books as opposed to JB’s magazine and comic books.

• JohnBellyful says:

This joust, I’m afraid, I must spoil
            Making verse no more will I toil
            Game of Thrones I’ve not seen
            I’ve heard it’s obscene
            I’d rather spend time with Crown Royal

• Habfan10912 says:

Good thing I’m not paying attention to any of this. la la la la la la

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

That’s not true, HabFab! Punkster HAS read my magazines and comic books, and he can return them any time.

• punkster says:

JB:

No need for apologies JB,
            It’s clear that we really agree.
            A game of thrones clash
            Must be done o’er sour mash,
            And I have none, oh woe is me.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

To Punkster:

An apology from you I am due
            Along with the books I loaned you
            The crayons, the chalk
            The George Foreman crock
            Send back or this day you will rue

• punkster says:

JB:

You’ve disrupted my post dinner sleep,
            I was blissfully counting fat sheep.
            You don’t have to be gruff,
            I’ll ship back your stuff.
            But you can stuff your apology deep

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

Of course, you know this means war
            (I’m sorry I made you so sore)
            It was not my intent
            To get you so bent
            But that’s what good friends are for

• punkster says:

It’s nothing, don’t give it a thought
            All this competition is for naught.
            No need to contend,
            You’ll still be my friend.
            Of arguments I give not a jot.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

I’m glad an accord we have reached
            More lasting than the one at Lake Meech
            A tip of the hat
            A wink and all that
            Shall the next time we joust be in speech?

• punkster says:

I’m back now from walking the dog
            In the rain and the cold and the smog.
            I look forward to meeting you,
            Over beers and a bowl of stew.
            A sharing a flagon of grog.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

Out of concern I went looking for you
            (To be frank I had nothing to do)
            So what did I get
            Being out in the wet?
            A bad case of sniffles, how ‘bout ACHOO??!!!

• boing007 says:

And an AA meeting later tonight.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

42. Stev.R says:

I’m looking through other NHL management listings, and Minnesota has a General Manager, Assistant General Manager and an Assistant to the General Manager. I wonder if his name is Dwight Schrute?

• GrimJim says:

I can do you one better:
      Calgary Flames
      GM (Feaster); Assistant GM (Holditch); Assistant GM of Player Personnel (Weisbrod); Special Assistant to the GM (Conroy)

43. Aybara says:

Noticed reading Engles the other day that he mentioned the possibility of a Luongo trade, but counted out the Leafs. He then said I think they have their eye on someone else.

First thing that came to mind was Halak. While STL had a great tandem this year, they don’t necessarily need both. I realize that neither played many games and its a risk, but if they were to receive some good pieces from the Leafs, I bet they take it.

The thought of this is terrifying as I can only imagine the hysteria with the Halakites if this occurs. It will be a total warzone in here and god forbid we lose to the Leafs. Attitudes are foul enough after one of those. Anyway just some food for though. I hope I’m way off base with this.

Side note: After some more thought, they could also be expecting to nab Brodeur in free agency, but that would be a disaster for them I imagine. Old (age) Brodeur with no defense ain’t gonna cut it.

• commandant says:

It might be UFA Tomas Vokoun or UFA Josh Harding.

I don’t see why St. Louis would trade either goalie, both are under contract for next year, and they have no “cap pressure” to do so. Better to hold them and make sure Elliott isn’t a fluke, like many goalies under Hitchcock have been.

This isn’t like Vancouver where Schneider needs a raise, or Montreal where both goalies did.

44. ZepFan2 says:

My client, Mr. Stan Chion denies ALL media accusations he was the aggressor in the Pacioretty affair. In fact, we tend to file a grievance today with the NHL over Mr. Stan Chion’s loss of work as a result of Mr. Pacioretty’s reckless hit my client endured. The NHL decided to relieve my client from his employment as a result of all the bad press. As a result, I have on behalf of my client, filed a grievance today.

We’ll be conducting a press conference in the foreseeable future.
    ———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

45. Stev.R says:

Jim Nill is out of the running

Does anyone have an up to date list of who has been reportedly been approached, and who has declined?

• Stev.R says:

Approached:
      Bergevin (but no talks until CHI was eliminated)
      Brisebois (Has been given permission from Yzerman to speak to MTL)
      Loiselle
      Giguere
      Hextall (No talks until LA first round is over at least)
      Robataille (No talk until LA first round is over at least)

Declined:
      Brisson
      Damphousse
      Nill
      Me

No word:
      Lacroix
      Roy
      Pleau

46. timothy13 says:

I hope Max P wins because he is a class player. Unlike Daniel Alfredsson who displayed such anger mismanagement during game six that he through a fit on the bench after breaking his stick. So he was a little frustrated and his scoring touch lacked the special delight to turn the light red but whatever the guy looked like he was going to blow his top. Good luck Max P. Go Habs Go for next year!!!!!!!!!11

• mark_ID says:

To say Daniel Alfredsson isn’t a class player after his career, all because of that play….is just ludacris.

With that being said…I would love to see Max win it…..but after all Alfredsson has done for that team and his city….I wouldn’t mind seeing him get it either.

“Step off George”

• habs-fan-84 says:

….wow.

• cbass says:

I hope 13 represents your age and that would explain why you would say that Alfredsson isn’t a classy player because of that one incident. He’s been a great ambassador for the game of hockey, for his home country and even ours during his tenure in this league. Always conducted himself with class. I hope that Patches wins this award, but if he does lose, I hope that it’s to Alfredsson.

47. habsfan0 says:

The Ottawa Senators are 0-4 in Game 7s since their return to the NHL 20 years ago.

Law of averages working in their favour?

48. TomNickle says:

For the conspiracy theorists out there who felt last night that the NHL was out to get the Senators even after allowing what looked very strongly to be an illegally kicked in goal.

Milan Michalek will not face supplemental discipline for his kick.

Jeff Skinner was suspended two games in the regular season for a nearly identical incident.

• Bripro says:

That just supports the theorists who feel there’s an inconsistency at the disciplinary level.
      You can include me in that group.

• TomNickle says:

No. I’m referring specifically to the people who believed that the NHL was screwing the Senators last night. Not those who see the inconsistency and often times incompetence in the way the games are called and supplemental discipline is handled. I fall into the category who believes that a lack of devotion, care and consistency is the biggest problem starting at the top. But the results run contrary to those who believed the Senators had a target on their backs last night.

49. kempie says:

Forgive my ignorance, but it’s NAS v PHO and LAK v STL correct?

50. OneTimer says:

On the nhl.com website, the official article for Max’s nomination doesn’t even mention Chara. Instead, it only says

“Pacioretty had his own serious injury to recovery from. It was March 8, 2011 when he collided with the partition at the end of visiting bench at Bell Centre. The hit left Pacioretty with a fracture vertebrae and a concussion that ended his season.”

Are they kidding? What bull&$#%! God I hate the NHL.

• Chuck says:

They make it sound like it’s his fault that he cruised into it while he wasn’t looking. They’re completely misrepresenting the circumstances that make his recovery and breakout season even more impressive.

But then again, you can’t be tainting the captain of the Starley Cup Chanpiars now, can you?

___________________________________________________

• naweed235 says:

So they are portraying the Stanchion as the agressor…

51. Bripro says:

Luongo announced that he understands if the Canucks want to pursue the future with Cory Schneider.
    If he were Mike Gillis, that’s what he would do.
    What to make of it…

So apparantly a russian website goals.by did an interview with Grabovski and he mentioned he was unsure of resigning with TOronto as he received an offer from someone else. Uhhm that would be tampering, or perhaps his offer was from the KHL?

Needs to be translated

• shiram says:

Maybe that’s why they had to overpay him, but those russian websites, I don’t trust them too much.

• Bripro says:

Was the website in Russia or Belarus? Remember the AK fiasco?

I will admit when I look at the website I honestly don’t know if Russian or Belarusian, my russian is nowhere near as good as my fathers was.

• Timo says:

One of the links at the bottom of that page refers to Belarussian soccer, so I would say it is a belurussian site. But it is in Russian language.

Oh, and at the top is say “principle sponsor of belarussian hockey federation”…

• Bripro says:

Since AK cried “mis-quote” last year, do we take this article with a grain of salt?

• Timo says:

Looks like this is question about when Grabs signed a deal with TO, not a potential new deal.

Q: Не было сомнений, когда продлевали контракт?

A: Сомнения были, и предложение от другого клуба имелось. Если бы не был нужен в «Торонто», не подписывал бы контракт. Оказался нужен. Я люблю Торонто — хочу играть в этом городе.

Q: Did you have doubts when extending the contract?

A: I did and I had an offer from another club. If Toronto didn’t need me I wouldn’t have signed the deal. Turned out they needed me. I love Toronto and want to play in this city.

• Bripro says:

Thanks Timo.

• Cal says:

Didn’t Grabo just take 27.5 mil from the suckers…er, the laffs?

• mark_ID says:

Which article is it Burly…checking out that site using translate…I see two new recent articles but don’t see where Grabovski says that??…

Oh nevermind, you posted article. Thanks/

“Step off George”

• sevenman says:

Grabovski already signed unitl 2017

53. otter649 says:

Are Max Pac chances for The Masterton Trophy reduced due to his suspension this season ?

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just dropped-by to see if Roy was signed, and Galchenyuk drafted yet
    …no ???
    …well, I’m goin’ back to sleep then
    …night zzzzzzz

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

55. habsfan0 says:

How come Brian Burke wasn’t nominated for GM of the year?

Was it something he said?

Niagara IceDogs’ Mark Visentin scores goal to top off bounce-back…
    Rare goal from netminder makes OHL history.
    Sorry! It seems that I cannot cut and paste the link!

57. Chuck says:

Vancouver Canucks ‏ @VanCanucks
    Luongo says he would waive his no-trade clause if the team asked. “It’s about this group”.

Is Brian Burke listening? :)

___________________________________________________

• shiram says:

Bobby Loo is ready to go.

• Sprague and Odie says:

Yup Louongo to Toronto for Gardiner and this year’s 5th pick will insure another decade of pomposity, timidity, ineptitude, and flatulence. Up yours Burke!

I was told that there was an award ceremony in Boston to honour Don Cherry – I thought about that for a brief moment and I replied: “For what? Too many men on the ice?”

• Stev.R says:

Luongo to Toronto for Next years first round pick, this years second round pick, & Luke Schenn

Then,
        Nash to Toronto for This years first round pick, next years second round pick, Gardiner, Kulemin, Mccarthur.

Then, Gomez to Toronto for more air time for Montreal on TSN and HNIC

So Gillis feels the win over the Bruins mid-season was the beginning of the end for his teams season, but has confidence in his coach. What part of this story am I not understanding. I didn’t listen to the presser but read this article on sportsnet.

59. H.Upmann says:

Trying to read up on Filip Forsberg… Anyone know if he’s close to NHL ready action status? Or needs a year in AHL? Personally would like to see Timmins go for Galchenyuk or Forsberg, then maybe Grigorenko. In any case, hope we draft someone who will have immediate impact

• TomNickle says:

Forsberg has only played six regular season games in the actual Swedish Elite League so it’s hard to say.

I have my doubts and feel that his rise through the ranks is more media created than anything else but what I do know is that he hasn’t played a single season of North American Hockey and while he’s praised for great offensive play he’s been underwhelming in scoring both at the Elite league level and with the B squad.

Landeskog and similar players like Backstrom were excellent offensively prior to making the jump. Forsberg hasn’t been.

Sebastian Collberg looks like he’ll bring more offensively than Forsberg.

• commandant says:

There is no “b squad” and Forsberg played 0 games in the elite league.

You have to remember that Forsberg is only in the Allvensken because the team that owns his rights is in the Allvensken. The Swedish league isn’t set up like the NHL/AHL… its set up like a European Football League, where you gain promotion from one league to another by being top 2, and the bottom 2 in the elite league are relegated.

The 6 “elite league” games you see on his stats… those arent elite league games. What they are is the top 4 teams play a playoff to determine which two will get promotion to the Elite league next year.

Forsberg came up through Leksand’s academy program, so he was signed to them as a 13 or 14 year old kid, and he didn’t know they wouldn’t be an elite league club.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Nice information commandant, thanks.

• TomNickle says:

Are you seriously going to stretch semantics that far?

He was promoted to the elite league representative team. They may have been a relegated team but they have the potential for inclusion in the elite league like the Leafs have the potential for inclusion in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

This is akin to saying that Phil Kessel didn’t play an NHL game this year.

• commandant says:

He was not promoted to an elite league team.

He played 6 games in a round robin tournament against other ALLVENSEKAN TEAMS, for the purposes of determining who would be promoted to the elite league.

He did not ever play a single game against a team that was actually in the elite league this season. Never happened.

Playing 6 games… 4 of which (2 teams) will be against elite league clubs in 2012-13 is not the same.

Especially considering the team that moves from the Allvensekan to the Elite League will still be one of the bottom tier teams in the elite league AFTER they go on their summer spending spree so they can compete.

• TomNickle says:

So playing on one of the worst teams in the league wouldn’t be playing in the league? Got it.

• commandant says:

Forsberg’s team didn’t qualify… they will remain in the Allvenskan next year.

The teams they lost out to? They will get a massive influx of new players, they will need them just to be competitive in the higher league. They will cast off their worst guys and grab as many of the best free agents and veterans looking for transfers (from clubs being sent down) as they can.

So no, he did not play at an elite league level at any point this year.

Not sure why thats hard to understand.

• TomNickle says:

He’s playing for a team that got the opportunity to qualify for the SEL.

Happy?

• commandant says:

Collberg also played over 40 games in the elite league and scored a gomez-esque total of 0 goals and even worse… 0 points.

Yep.

And at the same level Filip Forsberg had one point in six games while Collberg had seventeen points in twenty-one games. And in the prior season Collberg was more productive. And the season before that.

At the WJHC Collberg had seven points in six games and Forsberg one point in the same.

Looks to me like Collberg has been more productive offensively.

• commandant says:

Sure and Corey Locke was the most productive junior player in his draft year.

• commandant says:

All that said, I do believe that due to his late birthday and the level of play he’s played at, he won’t be NHL ready this fall.

• Max says:

….and what would the media gain by playing up Forsberg and not Collberg or some other guy?

I saw Forsberg play live ,he’s the real deal.One of the fastest skaters I’ve seen and very skilled and physical. Think of Marion Hossa at his peak and times that by 2. That’s Filip Forsberg.

Whoever drafts him is going to have a hell of a player in about 3-4 years time. I fear it’ll be Toronto.

• naweed235 says:

out of all those picks Grigorenko scares me the most…
      I’d be fine with both Forsberg and Galechnyuk… Although I wouldn’t say no to that Yakupov dude :)

• 24 Cups says:

HU – Drafting someone with an immediate impact isn’t a concern for me. Probably the only guy in the draft who might fit that bill would be Yakupov.

Forsberg has been consistently ranked in the top five throughout the year in every poll. He would need another year to develop and that would mean he would stay in Sweden.

Galchenyuk’s ranking was obviously hampered by his major injury. He will definitely need to go back to the AHL.

Grigorenko is the question mark but probably would benefit from another year in the Q. Not many players make the jump after just one year of junior.

It’s too bad that Montreal didn’t fall apart last year as the choices would be much more foolproof.

• LNev says:

I’m afraid of all this immediate impact talk.
      The Coyotes/Turris split was largely because someone was in the NHL when not ready… MaxP took a few years to get up to NHL speed… Stamkos had a ‘poor’ first season, so did Thornton. PK, after AHL time and already being annointed a 2012 Norris Candidate at thebeginning of the year, is still trying ot find his niche.

I understand that a 19yr old who is too good for the Juniors but not NHL ready cannot be sent to the AHL… but I hope we (as a fan base) and they (as a team) do not rush who ever is picked. If the guy is truly ready and can/will play in the role that properly suits him, then OK. If this selection (Grigs for example) is being used a 3rd/4th line forward with Bourque/White/Moen on his wings, then keep him in junior and let him develop properly.

Don’t Kadri the guy… 21years old and already people are giving up on him. Kadri comes up, plays with guys like Rosehill/Brown, chips in a few points (but not enough) and then gets sent down for defensive issues…

• 24 Cups says:

Well said, LNev. The Habs can’t even find a winger to play with Pleks and now some fans want our first rounder to play with stiffs. Both possible picks have only one year of junior under their belts. Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin and Couturier had two or three.

Crosby turns down Team Canada invite. Hopefully, Letang and Staal will join. Here’s the initial roster from the non-playoff teams.

Schenn and Phaneuf will not look any quicker on the International ice surface.

• TomNickle says:

I have to confess. I’ve never cared for the World Championships from a cheering perspective. I haven’t had an interest in that kiss your sister cup at any point.

I’ll watch the international squads to get a look at players who aren’t in the NHL but other than that I have no interest and I don’t mean to sound arrogant but I can’t imagine why anyone would.

It’s a D Squad version of international hockey for the most part. The Canadian roster probably has no more than five or six players who will actually make the 2014 Sochi team.

• 24 Cups says:

That’s basically how I feel about, too.

The notion was that it would be a run-up for the Olympics and that players would have to play in the Worlds to enhance their chances for the big team. Unless your name is Crosby. Or Stamkos.

• howtathor says:

I’m impressed with the associate coaches, Kirk Muller and Guy Boucher. Subban will thrive in that environment.

• Phil C says:

This year’s World Championship in important to Hockey Canada because it will determine the seeding at the Olympics. Canada is currently seeded 4th so they would like to move up. Seeding not only determines a favourable grouping, it determines favourable ice times, preferred practice facilities, etc. Because the stakes are higher this year, I have more interest in the tournament than normal.

Too bad Crosby is turning them down, but after the year he’s had, it’s understandable.

61. H.Upmann says:

I don’t need General Hospital reruns when I can get my scoop of affairs here lol

62. TomNickle says:

As if there weren’t already enough reasons to like and admire Barry Trotz.

During the post-series handshake with the Red Wings he asked Nick Lidstrom “please don’t retire”.

So much class.

• Cal says:

Nah, Trotz wants to beat the Wings again next year! ;)

• Le Jadester says:

THe best was when the CBC guys were saying that Trotz went back and recently apologized to all the guys he coached back in the AHL because he thought he was a terrible coach back then and has learned so much over the years.

But ya, you gotta love how down to earth and humble the guy is.

Habs, OLE !

• neumann103 says:

Barry Trotz. So much class. So little neck.

Has any coach in the NHL achieved as much per millimetre of neck since Scotty Bowman? (note: Scotty obviously achieved much more than Trotz but had the benefit of a small vestigal neck, whereas Trotz is dealing with the pure head to shoulders interface)

“Et le but!”

63. commandant says:

Max absolutely deserves the award. What he did this year was nothing short of remarkable given the circumstances of how his season ended in 2011.

64. HabFanSince72 says:

Looking for the story about Carter cuckolding Scott Hartnell, I found this interesting tidbit.

Brendan Shanahan actually slept with his teammate Craig Janney’s wife as a St.Louis Blue, which prompted him to be traded to the Whalers for Chris Pronger.

He eventually married her.

So the lack of moral fibre he has shown as NHL head of discipline is nothing new.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

Vigneault not fired.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

66. ont fan says:

Just turned on the TV and the Detroit stations say Jim Nill has talked twice with the Habs about the GM job with Illiches permission. He doesn’t feel this is the right time to move although it would be very tempting.

• LizardKing12 says:

The article on tsn.ca mentions that Nill has an illness in the family and that is the reason he would prefer to remain in Detroit right now. Nonetheless it is encouraging that Molson and Savard are leaving no stone unturned. Hopefully that results in a great GM being hired.

67. RGM says:

If David Perron had ended up as a finalist I would have suggested it would be a very close race between him and Pacioretty. Both overcame tremendously brutal and illegal hits that could very well have ended their careers, and the fact that both of them have returned to play at a high level speaks volumes about their dedication and passion to this great game.

Sans Perron, though, I pick Max in a runaway.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• TomNickle says:

I was surprised that Colin Fraser and David Perron weren’t the other nominees along with Pacioretty.

Fraser was put in a terrible situation by the Edmonton Oilers and went through the entire deal with the utmost class.

He more than anyone is deserving in my opinion.

• coutNY says:

Hmm Perron’s hit wasn’t as bruital of hit as Pacioretty’s by far… both had bad lasting results was about all they had in common, although Pac’s recovery was shorter by some miracle. Don’t get me wrong I thought it was a cheap shot by Joe to an unsuspecting Perron, I actually live in St. Louis now which could make me bias, but Perron was able to get back to his feet and play in the subsequent power play which resulted from the hit. There were probably 20 other headshots equally as bad as Perron’s shot last season. A broken neck puts Patches in a league of his own on this one.

68. TomNickle says:

So David Poile, Doug Armstrong and Dale Tallon were nominated as the GM of the year candidates.

Poile and Tallon’s nominations speak for themselves. Armstrong however signed two veterans and hired a coach. I really don’t believe that his nomination is valid.

There are more deserving nominations like Paul Holmgren, Glen Sather and Don Maloney.

Paul Holmgren traded Jeff Carter, a man who slept with a teammate’s wife for Jakub Voracek and a top ten pick he used on Sean Couturier. He also traded Mike Richards, a player who was terrible with the media, had considerable conflict with the coach and captain and was allegedly the reason Peter Laviolette had to institute Dry Island for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and a 2nd round pick.

He got his franchise goalie and while the contract is bloated and Bryzgalov hasn’t been great in the playoffs he is arguably the reason they made the post-season with his play down the stretch and is certainly an upgrade over Michael Leighton and Sergei Bobrovsky.

He also signed Matt Read to an entry level deal out of college and he(Read) has been an excellent rookie for the Flyers. He acquired Nicklas Grossman and Pavel Kubina when his team needed an upgrade on defense in the worst way.

They far and away had the most goals from rookies this season and are one of the more dangerous teams left in the playoffs.

Glen Sather got his big name free agent and has put one of the best teams in the league on the ice this season. They have some of the best young promising talent in the league with McDonagh, Kreider, Stepan and Christian Thomas. He has solid backup goaltending, a veteran coaching staff and his team nearly won the President’s Trophy without an elite defenseman.

Don Maloney has built the Phoenix Coyotes who really have no business being in the playoffs. He’s put parts together that work.

• Bripro says:

I agree.
      I posted on the previous blog page that I don’t understand how Holmgren wasn’t selected.
      I wouldn’t pick Sather just because of the Gomez effect ( I know, it’s personal … ), but leaving Holmgren out is a head-scratcher.

• LizardKing12 says:

Well said, Holmgrem definitely deserves to be a nominee. Along with Dale Tallon no other GM did more in the offseason. It took a lot of guts for Holmgrem to make the trades that he did and the fact that all his moves worked out is incredible.

• Habitall says:

Very well argued, and no argument from me. Poile had to be included, Tallon too, with Holmgren. Poile appears to have mortgaged a bit of the future and is going for broke (he’ll likely lose Suter this summer, for nada, and has lost a lot of high picks), but you can’t deny he’s made Nashville a high-quality organization. As for Holmgren, he showed tremendous guts, and has now laid the foundation for perennial contention.

(BTW, where do you get info like that on guys like Carter? Is that more than a rumor?)

While I wouldn’t have included Sather as a finalist this year, that’s only because the competition is so fierce. But I agree that Slats has done a great job the last few years, and I actually think he’s grown as a GM. It used to be he was the Steinbrenner of hockey, all about signing high-priced free agents, but if you look at the team this year, apart from Richards, most of the acquisitions are via trade, and he’s done very well there. Plus, he’s stuck with his coach for going on 4 seasons. Change is good, but patience is essential.

69. FuzE_gus says:

No one more deserving…Max’s award hands down…

With Regards from FuzE_gus

70. Bripro says:

Never wishing that such a thing happen to another, I’m also pleased that over and above his remarkable comeback, he might be awarded something for his courage. Good for Max!

71. TomNickle says:

I’m just happy that Matt Cooke didn’t make the list of finalists and am somewhat surprised that Colin Fraser didn’t.

72. GrimJim says:

I may be biased but if anyone is a lock for a trophy it should be Patches for this one.

Why do I get the strange suspicion this league will give it to Daniel FF Alfredsson because he is likely to retire this year.

Randy Carlyle has probably already told Burkie to make sure Lupul wins it to improve his tradeability in order to get rid of him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

from Wikipedia:

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey. The winner is selected by a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association after each team nominates one player in competition.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?