P.K. Subban at top of Habs’ to-do list

Subban_001web

Now that there has been a tentative agreement reached to end the NHL lockout, the biggest question Canadiens fans are asking is: When will the Habs sign P.K. Subban?

Subban, a restricted free agent, earned $875,000 last season in the final year of his entry-level deal and wasn’t re-signed by new Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin during the summer.

“It’s been a very tough situation for me,” Subban told Stubbs. “I haven’t been able to engage myself in a lot of the things that our team has been involved in (during the lockout).

“That’s because as much as people may believe I’ll be back this season with the Canadiens, it’s still dependent on whether we can reach an agreement. Whether I’m positive about reaching an agreement or not, there’s always a chance it may not get to that.

You can read Stubbs’s column on Subban by clicking here.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that Bergevin and new Canadiens coach Michel Therrien can now get to work and that apart from Subban, Bergevin will have to decide what to do with Alex Galchenyuk, the team’s first-round draft pick this year. Therrien’s major chore will be to introduce a new system in a short period of time before the season starts.

You can read Hickey’s column by clicking here.

New Hab Colby Armstrong was behind the bench of the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL, working as an assistant coach, when he learned a tentative agreement had been reached to end the lockout. Canadiens captain Brian Gionta found out there was a deal when his young son jumped on his parents’ bed early Sunday morning after flipping on the TV.

Read Stubbs’s story on how Canadiens players learned the news and their reaction by clicking here.

Andrei Markov was in Yaroslavl, Russia, on Sunday afternoon, some 260 kilometres northeast of Moscow, when he heard the rumour that the lockout had been tentatively settled.

“It was all over the media here,” Markov told Stubbs over the phone.

And then he laughed.

“But you know me. I don’t believe the Russian media.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Markov and other Habs who were playing in Europe by clicking here.

In his Monday Morning QB, column, Jack Todd says shame on Gary Bettman and the NHL owners for allowing the lockout to drag on so long.

Writes Todd: “Four months of rage and bad press. Every dirty trick and nasty stunt in the Gary Bettman Lockout Playbook. Disgusted sponsors, alienated fans, lost revenue, lost salary, lost momentum and, very nearly, another lost season. All for what? A few tweaks on a 50/50 revenue split that was agreed to almost from the beginning? A deal in January that could surely have been reached in September? And now, a compressed 48- or 50-game season, with plenty of intensity and (no doubt) enough injuries to fill a hospital ward.”

You can read Todd’s entire column by clicking here.

Ken Campbell of The Hockey News writes that with the lockout finally over, it’s time for Bettman to step down as NHL commissioner. Read his column by clicking here.

The NHL on TSN has identified six urgent matters facing teams now that the lockout is over. Find out what they are by clicking here.

TSN also wonders if either side can claim victory after the lockout. Read more by clicking here.

Habs fans weren’t the only ones cheering the end of the lockout. Montreal restaurant and bar owners were also ecstatic, though concerned that some hockey fans will hold a grudge against players and owners.

Bars saw revenue fall by up to 40 per cent due to the labour conflict, with downtown Montreal particularly hard hit, Peter Sergakis, president of an association of bar owners, said Sunday. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

1. habs03 says:

IF Markov gets our pp to being top 10 in the league, Habs finish 6th in the East.

Under a real coach, team has 11th in even strength scoring, and top 3 in pk. We gave up a lot leads, and lost 1 goal games because of our PP couldn’t give that tying goal, or extra goal.

Mtl has lived off its pp and pk for years, always lacking 5on5 goals, but with Cole, Patches,Bourque (all good goal scores 5on5), we’ll be fine.

Season rest on Markov IMO

• Habfan10912 says:

Markov is a key for sure. This team will be different to watch. We are not just smurfs anymore. I can’t wait but I’m still not buying any merchandise. :)

———————————–

Markov also has chance to be a leader on the ice in general. We have many young Dmen who could learn by watching him and how he plays the game in all ways.

2. habs-fan-84 says:

I’m ecstatic hockey is starting up! I love the sport and I love the Habs!!

Lock out’s happen in professional sports and that’s a fact of life. Some people need to get over it. We’re not entitled to hockey and we don’t have some sort of inherent right to watch NHL hockey. The NHL is a business and these things happen, the employees and owners have to sort things out, this is their life and business respectively. The fans simply enjoy the product these two parties provide.

Rant over.

Super excited!! Can’t wait for hockey…and no, this year’s Stanley Cup winner is not tainted, unless of course it’s the Bruins or Laffs :D

3. NoTinFoilCups says:

After this lockout debacle there’ll be even more sunbelt clubs trying to reach the cap floor. So, there’s still the hope that we can trade Gomez. Whoever picks him up will gain 3 mill in cap space without needing the make that amount of revenue. Still paying Gomez 4.5 in his last year might be asking a little too much! But if we are able to trade him we can use the buyout elsewhere.

4. Captain aHab says:

Fewer than 250 posts by noon? This place needs to get in game shape…….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

5. shiram says:

A great new Year to all my fellow HIO’ers.
    Best wishes of excellent powerplay and shootout victories to all.

Somehow I always thought they would figure it out and we’d have the NHL back in action in January, I’m glad to have guessed right.
    This format of season is interesting, I’m looking forward to the trades and of course signing PK, I can’t bring myself to think about having him put on a different jersey. Not to mention what it would do to the Habs D!.
    Excited to see how the center situation works out, especially since our 3 best centers have all been playing during the lockout, they should all be ready to go!
    Markov’s been playing good and so has Emelin.
    I might even forgive the harsh words some players were throwing around during the lockout.

So it’s all pretty awesome, now if only I did not have to go back to work today….

6. habstrinifan says:

I am surprised by the muted reaction here on HIO to the comments in the Stubbs interview from P.K. All I know is that it absolutely reflects a couple posts I had made on this situation in summer.

“The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reports that Subban will meet with his agent Don Meehan Monday at noon in Toronto and that if the defenceman isn’t signed by the time training camp starts, don’t expect to see him in Montreal.

“So now I’m on the outside looking in, obviously waiting for an agreement to get done.””

Or perhaps he can instruct his agent to get a deal done so he is not on the outside looking in. I hope MB sticks to his guns and offers a fair 2 year deal.

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry HabinBurlington. Hope you dont mind me being honest. Your reaction was too knee-jerk which probably shows that you are more ‘concerned’ than you are admitting re an underlying rift between Subban and the team. This does not seem to be about ‘money’ only.

I will admit that personally I have been very very afraid of this from day 1 and I have posted as such even while holding my tongue for fear of being called a troll/BS.

But ‘reading between the lines’…. this does not sound good. I think Molson may have to play a part.

I do think there is a bit of a rift, and I think it will be rectified this season with MB and Therrien. I would get into details, but it would become a huge Pissing contest on this site. End of day I love PK and his talent and enthusiasm. I also think he could use a bit of humble pie and a 2 year contract.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the discussion. I am always kinda afraid when I brooch the P.K topic. I have followed the HABS since 70 and I have seen players like Richer and Le Clair etc ..(Note I am not talking about the “LEGENDS” get me off my seat because they looked like HABS. And I have seen the freakin team dispatch all these players to other teams for one goddamn reason or another.

I….. well I better shut up.

• New says:

I think you’re right. There was room for agreement prior to the expiry of the last CBA. They couldn’t get it done. When you look at PK you have to ask a lot of questions.

I think he is gone. If not he will be gone. He has too much value elsewhere to stay in Montreal. He can fill seats, sell products, and they already fill seats and sell product in Montreal. So it comes down to does he make you better on the ice or can he be converted into something that makes you better on the ice?

• Timo says:

I hope so too cause if MB sticks to his gun, PK walks and we can finally get MAB back.

7. Bim says:

Forgive me if I’m not excited about this “shortened” season. I’ve managed just fine without it for 4 months. I can certainly do without it for another 3. Right now I’m more focused on what’s going to happen in the off season (which isn’t all that far away). How high will habs draft?(Should be #1) Will we finally say goodbye to Gomez? Will Markov last and will he get bought out if he doesn’t? Far more interesting stuff than what we will see on the ice I’m afraid. I say on with golf!

Gomez will play well for us under Therrien for the remainder of this year. Not worth more than 3.5 million for sure but we are stuck paying him 7mil, until we move or buy him out this summer.

So what would prevent any team (other than cap space) from offering PK a ridiculous amount of money right now?

• Rugger says:

Nothing except the Habs would match anything less than the amount that get’s them a ton of first rounders.

• Kooch7800 says:

Nothing other than screwing their own cap space and having to give up serious pics as well. I don’t see anyone doing that currently even though Philly does have the cap space. PK is too much of a risk IMHO opinion to give up a ton of pics for as well as a big chunk of cap space. That is a pretty big gamble at this point.

He will resign with the habs early next week

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ian Cobb says:

He told me that he will be playing for us, It is just about getting a contract done! I think it will be 3,5 for three years and 4.5 for 2 years. Something like that.

I would be good with that Ian. Especially the 2year deal.

• Ian Cobb says:

As long as I don’t have to sign the check Gerald.

By the way it looks like we will be doing the Summit in Oct. or Nov. 2013. Long distance travelers need to make plans and I have to organize all the weekend at the different venues etc. But I am game to go to Hamilton this year. Maybe we can get a few people together.

Sounds great Ian, I look forward to watching the Dogs now get to play against other AHL teams, until now they have been overmatched by teams loaded with NHL Talent.

• habstrinifan says:

I trust you Ian but please read Stubbs article and tell me what impression you came away wih. Remember these are direct quotes from P.K and from MB.

10. habstrinifan says:

An esoteric question to get you juices flowing.

I think Flyers are kicking themselves they didnt make a huge offer sheet to P.K in the summer.It look like those ‘huge contracts’ will be tweaked under the new CBA… and therefore should be more affordable to the teams which handed them out.

11. ooder says:

so what happens wit contracts like Kovalchuk, Luongo, Parise etc?
    Are they still in full effect?
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

12. Mustang says:

Montreal, Toronto, and a few of the other arenas will be full for the first game some time next week but what about the weaker markets? Any thoughts on how the NHL plans on getting the fans back. Many of the southern teams had to just about give away tickets last year, will anyone even show up now that the stupid lockout is over?

While the Bell Centre will be full, has there been any serious talk about really trying to have a one-game boycott here or elsewhere?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Four words:

All you can eat.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habs-fan-84 says:

let’s be honest here, NFL is still being played…I don’t think too many people in the US pay much attention to the NHL until NFL is over…Don’t think people in Florida are all that concerned about hockey in October..

I anticipate this lockout has very little effect on teams like LA, Dallas, Florida etc.

• Luke says:

I wonder if the lockout has really been noticed in the south.

I was in Florida around US Thanksgiving (yummmmm) and the folks I spoke with talked mostly about Football, College Football and Soccer (spent a lot of time at an irish pub on a beach).

They talked hockey when my Canadianism was known, but not about the lockout, more about who was good, which kids too watch out for and stories about Gretzky and the good ol’ days.

The current situation wasn’t their real knowledge base.

I think the die-hards down there knew about it, were pissed about it, but like us will be back. The Casuals, who everyone is worried about, may have noticed the Winter Classic didn’t happen, but really they have been pre-occupied with everything else and once hockey starts up, they’ll say “oh ya, forgot about that…” and start watching.

It’s not like the casual fan is buying or cancelling season’s tickets…

13. frontenac1 says:

@Mattyleg. Same to you amigo! After watching some Dogs vs Marlies games ,it seemed to me that Burkie had about half his starting lineup playing for the Marlies.LOL! And Leaf fans think Luongo is their savior?Oh yeah,seeing little Dumont beating the sh*t out of Colbourn was priceless! Saludos!

14. helluva habs fan says:

Assuming a good number of teams take advantage of this amnesty buyout clause next year, is there a danger that the cap for Year 3 of the CBA will be drastically lower than the $64.3 million cap in Year 2?

15. Kooch7800 says:

Geoff Molson, GM Marc Bergevin & coach Michel Therrien have a 4pm press conference planned today.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• nunacanadien says:

Montreal should riot if they don’t announce they have bought out Gomez. Honestly wasting another season and a dwindling salary cap. Let’s hope the press conference is not to announce a raise in salary for Gomez……and Bourque. Watch they’ll say we couldn’t sign Subban he was too expensive but we could afford to again overpay Gomez…..and Molson calls himself a businessman and a promoter of beer to hockey fans?

• Mustang says:

They will not buy out Gomez until next summer. Nuff said, if you don’t understand why.

• habs-hampton says:

Its only 1/2 a season.

Do you even read what people answer to you? I was polite and responded to your earlier buyout Gomez statement. Do you understand the difference between the amnesty buyout and a buyout with cap implications. Or are you randombot as others suggest.

• Luke says:

Wow. You need a new team to cheer for. Negativity kills man. Pep up. Go for a walk or something.

They are going to announce how happy they are to have resolution.
        They are going to say the whole situation sucked, but that they love the loyal and patient fans.
        They are going to say PK is top priority.
        They are going to announce a timeline for training camp, pending ratification of the new deal.
        They are going to mention that nothing with regards to player moves or signing can happen until the BoG meeting and Ratification of the CBA.
        They are going to say how excited they are to get started.

IMO, the only time Galchenyuk should be called up is if with 9 games left in the regular (shortened) season the Habs are guaranteed a play-off spot and Galchenyuk is tearing up the OHL.

• kempie says:

That’s actually a good idea but I don’t think you can do that with junior players unless their junior season is over, which it could be since the NHL will be going long.

• Cal says:

I’m thinking they give Nyuk his cup of coffee with the big club to motivate him for next season.
      He is the highest pick we’ve had since Price in ’05, so he must be given opportunities. It’s whether or not he takes advantage of them.

17. Mattyleg says:

Morning and Happy New Year to all!
    Haven’t been around much.
    Holiday nuttiness etc.

Hope everyone had a great holiday, full of love, food, drink, and relaxation.

So hockey’s back, and as I posted before, the first thing I thought of was the Black Gates of Mordor opening to the blaring of orc horns for the evil armies to march through. I think it’s appropriate.

I had a good laugh this morning listening to Luongo whore himself out on TSN, saying “I have a lot of respect for Brian Burke and the Maple Leafs organization.” Hilarious. Nobody in their right mind should have a lot of respect for Blowhard Burke, and nobody, but NOBODY (those in and out of their right minds) should have an iota of respect for the Maple Leafs organization.

But he’ll say it because if anyone is going to give an undeserving half-washed-up player an overly-generous contract, it’s ol’ Burkie.

Good laughs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mustang says:

Good morning Matty

The new CBA hasn’t even been ratified yet and it is back to business as usual, that is $$$$$$$$.

I love the game of hockey but I am beginning to develop a very serious dislike for the NHL and just about everything to do with it. I will watch the Habs once in a while but my life-long love affair with them is certainly not what it used to be. As far as the Laffs go, well let’s just hope that they continue along their merry way to nowhere.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great point Mustang but isn’t it kind if risk free given the amnesty buyouts over the summer? Might be a 1 and done for Louie there.

———————————–

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Matty. Hope your holiday was pleasant. Do you think Luo go will melt under the Toronto microscope? For him, a team like Florida, Tampa Bay it even Washington would seem a better fit.

———————————–

18. HabFanSince72 says:

From Elliotte Freedman:

11. Best lockout quote: Brad Boyes’s parents (two great people) texted him after he attended a mediation session: “Saw you on TV… time for a haircut.”

Kinda makes you want to hear the also-ran quotes.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

19. mark-ID says:

I know most will disagree with this…..but assuming Galchenyuk is given 9 games to show his stuff, and he shines on the ice for us….this is the line combos I would dream to see later this season

Bourque Plekanec Gionta
    Pacioretty Galchenyuk Cole
    Desharnais Eller Armstrong
    Moen White/Blunden Prust

There is a mixture of size and grit on each line. Gally gets a real shot at centering talented wingers which could maximize his potential.
    Do I really believe this would be the case so soon…..NO, but would love the chance to see it fly

• habs03 says:

If someone is moving to wing, its going to be Eller, not DD, team already told Eller, that he might be asked to play wing. You could also start off Gally on the wing, even though the team said they see him as a centre, he can start at wing

• mark-ID says:

Yea you are probably right, but again this is my ideal lineup.
        Personally I’d prefer Gally gets groomed as a center, and would like Eller to stay there also. We’ve been wanting big centers forever now….finally we have two of them. For me personally, Desharnais is at the bottom of the depth pool(considering Gally’s potential that is)

• habs03 says:

Missed the dream line up part. But I agree with you in wanting Eller down the middle. I think if Eller can have a good season 4050 points, and DD plays like he did last year, sadly I see Plek getting traded, one of my fav players, but it would make the most sense.

• mark-ID says:

Yea the only reason we would trade Pleks is because he better trade value. IMO Pleks is a better all around player then Desharnain, no questions asked.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they have to give Desharnais a real shot again this year with Cole and Max. Just to see if they can recapture their chemistry. Also as the cap tightens next year if he puts up great numbers it would help his stock IF he needed to be traded.

for the 9 games…who knows though but you could be right but I think they would probably put Gally on the third line at wing or Centre to start and have the following:

Cole-DD-Max P
      Eller-Pleks-Gionta
      Armstrong-Gally-Moen
      White-Prust-Blunden

This would ease Gally in

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• mark-ID says:

Kooch, so no Bourque?

• Kooch7800 says:

LOL sorry I knew I was missing someone. Also forgot Gomez

Armstrong-Gomez-Gally
          Bourque-Prust-White

If Gally goes back Bourque moves to line three or him and eller could switch as well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Max and Cole need to be separated to give the Habs 2 lines that are legit scoring threats. It’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Kooch7800 says:

If they could do that and they produced sure. Problem is they all had career years together. For some reason Pleks and Cole never seemed to click last year. Mind you Pleks and Bourque didn’t really click either.

Be interesting to see if what MT does

Gio will be a lot better this year I think.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

I believe Pac’s one season with Cole was super beneficial for him. He should be able to put up about 21 goals this short season(about the same rate as last season) if he stays healthy.

Cole partnered with Eller might be a great thing for Eller, but I don’t see MT putting Cole 3rd line unless he’s being double-shifted.

• helluva habs fan says:

I hope they don’t make the mistake of rushing him in. Even if he looks solid in the 9 games (if they’re even allowed to do that this year), he’s too valuable a prospect to rush. Luke Schenn would still be in Toronto if they had developed him properly. Instead, he had one good season, slumped the next year and was public enemy #1.
      We will not be a contender this year and we likely won’t be next year. Let the kid hone his game in the minors, build his confidence and dazzle us all when he’s ready.

• K-hab25 says:

No offense, but I find the “rushing” arguement to be a bogus one. Price and Pacioretty were “rushed”, yet they’re our two best players. While AK46 spent two years in Hamilton and he never figured it out. Seguin was played on BOS 4th line, in between healthy scratches, now he’s there best player. If you’re good enough to help your team, then there is no better place for them to improve than the NHL, against the best in the world. Not all players should spend extended time in the AHL in order to be successful. Defenseman tend to need the time, Forwards as talented as Galchenyuk are typically the guys who successfully make the jump from junior to the NHL. We should judge each player on there on merit and abilities, not have just one plan for every prospect.

• habs-hampton says:

You forgot Gomez!

20. Propwash says:

As per Darren Dreger, teams have to remain in lockout mode until the new CBA is ratified.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

21. nunacanadien says:

I find it shocking that the first priority is signing Subban, when really the first priority should be buying out Gomez so the habs can have money to keep Subban. Honestly, and here we give false hope to Molson saying we hope Gomez can do better this year. We all know Gomez is way to small and the team is still way too small. The priority should be like Gauthier began was to fix the mistake of Gainey, to sign too small. Sign real NHL players. Enough of this bottom feeding and signing only players no one wants.

If Gomez is bought out immediately Nuna, it is my understanding that this would then be equivalent to buying him out under the last CBA, in other words years of cap hits. If they wait until end of this season, then amnesty buyout takes place.

• Kooch7800 says:

I believe you are correct. Also, the Habs have the cap space currently this season so why not use him and if he plays decent you may be able to trade him in the off season and save Molson 4 mill that he is due next year.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Exactly, and the reality is that this season is essentially a new tryout year for the roster with new GM and new coach. All players have a new chance to show if they are part of the solution or part of the problem. Given it is a short season, if indeed this team struggles (as many of us think they may) then we are rewarded with another high draft pick and we don’t have suffer through an 82 game lesson in Tankology from the various Tankologists here at HI/O. :)

Edit: Tankology ™ and Tankologists ™

• Kooch7800 says:

LOL @ Tankology ™ and Tankologists ™

This will be an interesting season as if a team gets hot they could really set themselves up this year. If a goalie goes on a hot streak or goes cold. I think it will be an unexpected cup winner this year.

Teams with the most players that played in Europe might jump out of the gate and play well but may feel it near play off time.

Major plus of the 48 game season is the EVERY game means that much more. The shootout becomes even more important. Thank god for Bourque in that aspect!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• AliHaba says:

The nail on the head Burl.

• Propwash says:

Let it go, Gomez will be bought out next season.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Phil C says:

Saying the Habs are small is sooooooo 2010. They have 6 forwards who are 6’2″ or bigger, 7 if you count Blunden, and that’s not counting Prust and White who punch above their weight-class.

• ZepFan2 says:

Maybe if you actually read up on it you would have been aware of this. Instead you go on your insane rants.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• habs-fan-84 says:

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

So did anyone vote for Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens to enter the baseball Hall of Fame? I say no.

• The CBA will run for 10 years through Sept. 15, 2022, with a mutual option to terminate the deal after eight years.

Question: Does this mean both sides have to agree to end it after eight years, or will it only take one side to do so?

BTW, all the talk in Toronto centres around Luongo.

Which begs another question: If the laffs miss the playoffs again (8th year in a row), will that lead to the firing of Brian Burke?

• Cal says:

I’m hoping Burke gets an extension. And folks thought Fergy Jr. was a horrible gm. Hah! :D

• Kooch7800 says:

usually where there is an opt out, either side can opt out after 8 years. if no one wants out it just continues for the next two. I would imagine there will be issues that need to be resolved after 8 years.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

I think forsure the Leafs find a way to grab Luongo. If he plays well the fans of Toronto quickly ignore the contract. If he doesn’t play well, the Leafs either try to trade him, or exercise the buyout of him either of the next 2 summers.

Burke has to make a move. They have no difference makers to add to roster this year, perhaps Kadri or maybe Paul Ranger makes the D, but they have to add something.

• jedimyrmidon says:

If any team seems poised to tank, it’s them with their goaltending duo of Reimer and Scrivens, and their D. Maybe Burke wants another high draft pick.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

PK to Boston for Brad Marchand and the rights to Tim Thomas.

Pro or Con?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

25. Propwash says:

Anybody looking for a job with the organization? There are a few posters here who I think could fill this position nicely. I’m lookin’ at you too Timo ;) http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=63213

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

26. von says:

If the Habs don’t resign Subban to a long contract, it’ll be one of the dumbest moves they’ve made on and off the ice since…. well, not too long ago.

The guy is an absolute star in every sense of the word. People aren’t paying to watch Bourque, Moen, etc. You want to see PK. He represents everything the Canadiens are about. Not to mention, he’s hated in every building except Montreal – beautiful. Just like how hockey used to be.

His personality is electric. He loves the city of Montreal and the city loves him.

Above all else, he’d risk his limbs for the team.

I don’t think Geoff Molson interferes much with the GM duties, but I sure as hell hope he’s in MB’s ear about making sure PK is treated properly and fairly.

The CH has been tarnished enough after the PG/Cammalleri fiasco.
    _________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

This isn’t directed at you Von, but I think we all need to temper our Sign PK panic. Reality is MB has only been on the job for a couple months during last summer. He couldn’t make any moves throughout the lockout and clearly the Habs chose the path of knowing the conditions of the new CBA before signing PK.

There has been no message from this team to indicate they don’t want to sign him.

MB and Meehan will start talking as soon as allowed under CBA and I am sure a deal will be done relatively soon.

• von says:

I’m optimistic they’ll get it done. Perhaps it’s the last few years of incompetence that have us all a little jumpy.

_________________________________

Agree Von, the last few years of Panic motivated moves by last regime are still burned in our memories. I have faith in MB, we shall now start to see what his vision for the team is.

• habs03 says:

DISAGREE, signing Subban to a long term contract (4-5 years) would be the dumbest thing, that basically eats up all his RFA years, and makes him a UFA at a young age, 27-28. Other teams have done this and are going to regret it IMO, ex Carlson in Wash, Flower with the Ducks, and Myers with the Sabres. Bergevin needs to stick to his guns, and offer Subban a 2 year deal, give him 5M per, but keep it at 2 years. This allows Mtl to sign him to a long term contract in 2 years time that takes him into his 30s, ex Price, Patches, who both got 2 year theirs after their ELC, so did DD, Emelin, Diaz, Weber, Eller, etc

Keeping an eye on the competition, here is a post from Philly blogger. Interesting how many of their question marks are in regards to their Defence, thus probably the constant rumours of Philly interested in PK.

• Phil C says:

The Flyers really have no one to replace Carle on the PP. A potential trading partner for Weber? He would be a better fit on that roster.

I hope Schenn meets expectations because they paid a big price to get him, it could get ugly if he struggles.

Bob McKenzie with lots of tweets this morning as it relates to Russian players currently in KHL. I am glad to hear both Markov and Emelin have agreed to return to NHL. Sounds like a couple of players may hang around Russia a little longer and rumours KHL teams offering incentives for players to stay.

• arcosenate says:

Can’t blame the KHL, they have been the only game in town for a while, some might stay I suppose, if the money’s right, but I would say the vast majority are coming back pronto.

Let’s just hope Malkin stays.

• commandant says:

If a big contract or big name doesn’t come back, i think the crap will hit the fan…. legally speaking.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Exactly Ben, it could lead to an end to the current agreement between the two leagues and a Sh*tstorm between the leagues.

MacKenzie doesn’t normally stir the pot, the fact he made all those tweets makes me wonder what he knows about a particular player or two.

• Cal says:

Let’s see, Omsk in February or LA? Tough choice. Not!

29. arcosenate says:

Questions which need to be asked, for example:

How many packs of smokes is Price up to per day?

What brand?

How much does Tomas Kaberle weigh?

Over or under 300 lbs?

Has Markov found a Soviet era geneticist to grow him a new knee, hip and vocabulary?

What was AK’s bar tab for the past 6 months?

Over or under $45k?

Has Travis Moen taken skating lessons?

Will Scott Gomez’ return to Alaska and his adoptive wolf pack family help him at least double his goal output from last season?

So many questions, this is going to be one hell of a season, even if shortened….

30. Habfan10912 says:

Morning. We are getting back to normal here at HIO. Talk of tanking, line combinations and arguing about who the 6,7 and 8th defenceman will be. Nice not to be talking about the CBA negotiations, eh? Life as it was meant to be. :)

———————————–

31. Stevie.Ray says:

Didn’t Rene Bourque have abdominal surgery a couple months ago? I feel that he should have recovered by now, but I haven’t heard anything.

• Habfan10912 says:

Been really quiet huh? Not sure if he’s fully healed although if it was a sport hernia he’s had the normal healing time. I guess we’ll find out this week how he’s doing.

———————————–

• AliHaba says:

He’s back on the active list. He was being paid so long as he was on the injured list and as soon as he got clearance he was locked out like the rest.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for your stat post again this morning Ali. I always look forward to hearing from you bud. CHeers.

———————————–

Yes he was cleared to play, but probably has had little to no hockey played since clearing. I am expecting the Habs to announce Bourque starts season in Hamilton on conditioning program, 3 games or whatever it is the CBA allows a player to go down for conditioning without having to go through waivers. This also opens spot for Galchenyuk’s “tryout”

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

Can’t imagine Subban & Habs not getting it done.

33. 123456 says:

“Canadiens captain Brian Gionta found out there was a deal when his young son jumped on his parents’ bed early Sunday morning after flipping on the TV”

Gotta love those youngins that wake us up early on the weekends!!!!!

GO HABS GO

34. commandant says:

How to get your NHL Fix, while minimizing revenue given to NHL/NHLPA and putting it in pockets of those hit hard by the lockout.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

35. Curtis O Habs says:

Subban does not sound so positive in the Stubbs article, nor does his agent. Hopefully it is just posturing.

• Habfan10912 says:

Doesn’t matter. He’s a RFA. If someone signs him then they’ve just done MB work for him. He is not going anywhere. The other stuff as you rightfully point out is just posturing.

———————————–

36. Propwash says:

Drop the freeking puck already!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

I can’t believe it’s only been 324 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes and 50 seconds since Gomez scored his last NHL goal…

38. Bim says:

Being that the Habs are projected to be either on or near the bottom of the NHL this shortened season. How stupid was that to negotiate a new CBA allowing the bottom 14 teams a shot at No1 draft this off season? Just doesn’t seem fair to me when it comes time for the habs to draft first.

I am happy the NHL Draft lottery has been re-jigged, even if just slightly. This hopefully will put a chink in the Tank parade which Edmonton has mastered.

If indeed the Habs play decently but just miss out on the playoffs, we still have a crack at a Seth Jones or Johnathon Drouin.

• HardHabits says:

Just because the 14 teams have a shot doesn’t mean they’ll hit the target. Nothing says over-kill like a Tank™’s cannon blast.

The Tank™ is still a viable option. In other words, the teams closest to the bottom will have the best odds to get the highest picks.

LOL, no doubt thus the reason I said re-jig slightly. BUt it used to be practically a foregone conclusion that last place team gets the top pick. I haven’t seen the exact weighting system for the new draft process and would be curious to see it.

You good sir, are the true defender of the Tank, almost like the keepers of the Stanley Cup wearing white gloves and keeping the trophy polished and shiny.

• commandant says:

As I understand you can still only lose a maximum of one spot in the draft order.

The only thing that has changed is that there is no longer a limit of 4 spots of movement.

All this has done is made finishing 30th A LOT less of an advantage.

The change for finishing 29th, 28th, 27th, etc…. is really, really small.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

The Tank option is dead. Long live the Try-to-Win™ option. ;)

• Habs64 says:

These 14 teams are ranked in reverse order of their regular season record and are assigned the following number of chances

250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
        11 combinations, 1.1% chance
        8 combinations, 0.8% chance
        7 combinations, 0.7% chance
        6 combinations, 0.6% chance
        5 combinations, 0.5% chance

• Stevie.Ray says:

These are the same odds as before are they not? And how many times did a team other than the last place team win? I can only think of two, last year when second last won it, and a couple years ago when I think New Jersey won it.

• commandant says:

The difference is that New Jersey would be 1st overall instead of being limited by moving up 4 places.

This changes the value of finishing last from being 48% down to the mere 25% seen above.

Other teams that won the lottery and didn’t finish last though were Chicago (P. Kane) and Washington (Ovechkin). There is a few more if you go back further as well.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

So the KHL All Star game is next weekend, Markov and Emelin were both selected, both will miss it. Have to think almost half the roster picked for it will no longer be around. I am not sure if the KHL was indeed helped by having all the mercenary talent over there only to be taken away in one fell swoop.

I think the fascinating part of the 2 Amnesty buyouts is what this does to the trade market. A player like Roberto Luongo suddenly becomes tradeable to a team like Toronto possibly. The Leafs have gobs of money and are now owned by two Sports TV stations. Have to believe the ownership of Leafs will want to have storylines to talk about their team.

Then there is the issue of Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf in Anaheim, both will be UFA’s this upcoming summer, somehow I get the impression these two may end up being like Suter and Parise this past offseason and try to control where they both go, again is Toronto the possible location?

Also of interest to watch, will be how the Bulldogs look in 2 weeks. There will be a massive airlift of talent out of the AHL up to the parent teams. I can’t see more than 2-3 players leaving the Dogs for the Habs and even that number could be a stretch.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in the second half of the AHL season the Bulldogs start to look like a team in the top 1/2 of the league rather than bottom 1/2.

Lots of teams including the Habs have big decisions to make which GM’s have been waiting patiently for the opportunity to do. Should be lots of different stories playing out during the season.

41. Marc10 says:

If I’m Bergie, I lock PK up for 8 years. Nip this in the bud I say. He’s our best D and part of the core. Sign him.

42. AliHaba says:

Alex Galchenyuk 40games 69points +18 (includes WJHC)
    Tim Bozon 41 57 +27
    Charles Hudon 28 39 +8
    Olivier Archambault 38 36 +1
    Brady Vail 39 36 -9
    Erik Nystrom 37 30 +8
    Danny Kristo 18 25 E
    Darren Dietz 40 24 -18
    Sebastian Collberg 46 23 +10(includes WJHC)
    Magnus Nygren 32 18 +10
    Mark MacMillan 20 16 E
    Mac Bennett 19 12 E
    Dalton Thrower 25 12 +13
    Dustin Walsh 13 10 E
    Mike Cichy 19 10 E
    Daniel Pribyl 27 10 +5
    Maxim Trunev 34 8 -1
    John Westin 32 5 -8
    Josiah Didier 15 4 E
    Colin Sullivan 17 1 E

43. red1150 says:

Any thoughts on picking up Arnott as a UFA. Maybe some good veteran leadership for a potential playoff run if Gallie and boys can score. Good role model for Eller too. But, I don’t know where he could fit in. Just seems like the kind of character that’s needed in this dressing room.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jack+Todd+Shame+Bettman+owners/7781706/story.html : Jack Todd; Montreal Gazette

…not often I like Jack Todd, but I agree with his column that Gary Bettman has dug his grave as an acceptable face to the NHL

…the anti-Bettman disdain and noise for his termination as President of the NHL, I believe, will become ultimately untenable

…yes, I know it’s ‘the owners’ that will or will not make this call …not You or I

…but Caesars over the eons have changed previously hard-headed positions after hearing the roar from the barbarians at the gate

…and don’t take it personally, boyz & girlz, but the barbarians are You and I

…I know We are all at the moment just happy to have Our Habs and NHL hockey back …in such relieved euphoria We tend to feel the instincts of ‘live and let live’, and let’s get on with Life

…yet, Todd has pretty well pithily summed up My own thoughts and reasons/resentments of why Bettman will not/must not have a further association with the NHL and hockey, hopefully, within the next 12 months

• bigjames says:

i second that. took the words out of my mouth actually and saved me writing all the above! thanks!!

• Cal says:

Fehr takes as much blame as Bettman in this.
      Bettman is not going anywhere, having recently been give an 8 year extension at $8mill per year. Todd can fantasize all he wants about how fans can affect the league ownership, but it won’t change anything.
      Bettman’s next negotiation is for the Olympics and the revival of the World Cup, so he’ll be around.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Todd is right Bettman tried to stare Fehr down and break the union and failed miserably. Yes Fehr is also responsible but this all could have been settled if not for the hardline owners and a little man with a Napoleonic complex. There were two lockouts before Fehr and Bettman tried to break the union each time then I don’t blame the players for hiring him this time around.

• Cal says:

The players would have gotten the same deal with a monkey at their head. They lost a lot of this season’s salary for what? The same salary cap floor in year two? I really have to laugh at Darche and Campoli, who were there with the union from the start and both do not have NHL contracts.
          How many players will never make that big money again for what? So the rich players can benefit more?
          This was a collossal loss by the players. But, hey, they’re “united”, right?

• Saintpatrick33 says:

They wouldn’t have been as united without Fehr you can bet on that as usual you’re dead wrong.

45. Boomer says:

I wonder how long it’ll take some of the guys to knock the rust off.

46. Sportfan says:

Wait does this mean we won’t get anymore updates from our NHL 13 season D: NO! Haha Jokes aside really excited for the season to start up I know a few things are for sure people who worked part-time in arenas are happy and the bars of Montreal are happy

47. jedimyrmidon says:

PK Subban picking the Montreal Canadiens as Stanley Cup winners on Sportsnet, haha!

48. joeybarrie says:

reading some posts… Don’t understand a few things.
    who in their right mind doesn’t think we will sign PK?
    I think Bourque will do well under Therrien. He will know exactly what’s expected of him, and will have specific roles. My prediction. 15 goals.
    astonishing how Tim Thomas can talk a lot of crap politically. Give his crazy tea party ideas and yet ditch his team, sit back, and do nothing.
    while markov hasn’t played in a long time, niether have a lot of nhl players.
    I’m excited to see what Therrien can do with all our players.
    Jan 19 can’t come fast enough.

49. jon514 says:

Has anyone been following Blunden in Ham? Has he upped his physical game/speed? If so it would be interesting to have him back as a 4th liner.

50. Propwash says:

Are there going to be trades / trade deadlines happening at all this “season?”

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

51. doug19 says:

The team is really stupid if they do not sign Subban!!!!!!!!!!
    After all look what they are paying Gomez and Kaberley for what!!!!
    Keeping Kaberley and giving up Subban would be mindless. Galenchuck did not show alot at the World Juniors compared to Yakupov and Gregerenko! Subban has proven himself in his first playoff, he is a proven winner at the World Juniors where he dominated at times and won.Remember Wickenheiser before singing the wonders of prospects who have yet to play a game for the Habs!!!

• ooder says:

no worries PK will be signed, and Galy will be a great player for the habs

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Adam says:

What does Galchenyuk have to do with Subban? One’s a forward, the other is a defenceman. One will be signing an entry-level contract, the other will be looking to cash in big time.
      That being said, I’m intrigued by this Galenchuck fellow. Do you have any stats for him?

• Habs64 says:

Gally outscored Grigs and tied Yak and won a Gold.

• matt jordan says:

Galchenyuk won the gold medal at the world juniors this week, he was tied for tenth in tournament scoring with Yakupov and he had more points than Grigorenko… what are you talking about?

52. Saintpatrick33 says:

I wonder how Therrien will do behind the bench. I have a feeling this team will have alot more jump and not get pushed around as much this season.

53. Shadows says:

Finally some hockey! I actually wasn’t expecting any hockey this season… 0.o

54. HABZ24 says:

Step one for habs : sign pk of course. Even if we only sign pk for this half ssn, then do a long term deal in the summer after the dust settles buy outs occur and habs know what kind of money theyll have available for pk.
    Step 2 : drop the puck !! Play and let the chips fall where they may. Who knows maybe bourque will shine and gomez will get a goal a game,maybe markov will fall down and shatter like glass,again.maybe not. So happpppy nhl hockeys back ! Ya maybe the fans should hold a one game boycott across the 30 teams to show there dislike for the lockout. But that wont happen. Go habs go !!
    GO HABS GO

55. Fake says:

Replying to Commandant from below,

I find Weber to be less soft and more physical, plus he’s younger. That’s it , that’s all. But honestly we need to dump ‘em both.

• commandant says:

I don’t mind keeping one as a long term 2nd unit PP option.

Of course they need to be the 6th D and paired with a polar opposite, a stay at home, strong defensively, physical player.

You can’t have Kaberle paired with them, (like the Kaberle/Campoli) pair last year. You need balance and versatility.

Right now we have too many puck movers and not enough physical defensive guys, but I don’t think going 180 degrees from that is the solution either.

Keep one and move one and get the rock solid D.

Also one other reason i move Weber is that as the younger of the two he might be easier to deal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

56. commandant says:

I’ve said it before and will say it again… getting rid of Subban at this point would be the equivalent of moving Chris Chelios when we did.

I wouldn’t trade Subban, unless you got an absolutely insane return.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

57. Fake says:

NOW FOR A REAL DEBATE!!!!

Next year we buyout Gomez with our 1/2 amnesty clause. Who do you buyout next and why?

A. Bourque (3.3M for the next 4 years – bum)
    B. Kaberle (4.25M for next 2 years – bum, soft, past his prime, not good defensively)
    C. Markov (5.75M for next 2 years – injury prone.)
    D _______

When I say 2 or 4 years I am including 12-13 (this 49 game season.) BTW: this is just for fun, obviously at the end of the day the 2nd clause may not be used, but if it is it will be the one who doesn’t perform this season.

• commandant says:

You buy out the guy who plays the worst this season.

If all three have good seasons and prove their worth, you don’t use your second buyout as with a 64.3 million dollar cap you can fit all three under it (And subban/DD too) once Gomez is gone.

Whoever you buy out, you do it with the thought that you will replace his role with a UFA/trade upgrade. But if they are playing well, you have no need for a buyout.

All 3 get the opportunity with new management/coaching to prove their worth.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Fake says:

Tbh I know all this already, I should’ve mentioned it in the comment. Because at the end of the day, it is who plays the worst or even if that. But it’s nice to talk about something other than Subban.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

A if Bourque doesn’t bounce back this season and doesn’t get at least 20 goals.
      C if Markov doesn’t return to form his cap hit sucks for an aging injury prone defenceman.

• Mark C says:

How about E. we actually watch the season and then decide?

• Phil C says:

I have a feeling Bourque and Therrien will not get along very well. Even when Bourque had his productive seasons in Calgary, he was often inconsistent, alternating from being the best player on either team to being invisible. And I can see Therrien losing his mind over it. I would be happy to be wrong, but I can’t see him on the team next year. His low cap hit may make him tradable which would be preferred to a buyout.

• neumann103 says:

D. No one.

Gomez is a no brainer. They pretty much have to buy him out to make the 64.3M cap for 2013/2014.

But after that there really isn’t anyone whose combination of cap hit, term length and uselessness is a slam dunk.
      The only way markov comes into this discussion is if he is hurt again, in which czse LTIR cap relief comes into effect.
      Kaberle’s negatives are much overstated and like markov is only one year.

Bourque’s term is a concern if he doesn’t pick it up, but he is not a suckhole of money. I suppose i could see considering after next season if after 2 full years he still is worse thzn anyone you could consider for your 4th line.

“Et le but!”

58. Fake says:

Can people that want to give up subban answer me this? Why fix what isn’t broken? We have ALOT of players that are ‘?’ marks (Kaberle, Gomez, Bourque, Diaz, Markie) just to name a few. If Subban has the confidence and character to flourish in MTL, why get rid of him?

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Right on enough of the trade PK talk. This city has a habit of running good players out of town. PK is a major building block of this team he ain’t going anywhere as much as some people would like him gone. He’s the most exciting player we’ve had since Kovalev why would you want to get rid of a major part of your team?

59. habbernack says:

If the habs ended up with the first or second pick in the draft would you trade subban for that other pick. It would be Drouin and McKinnon probably

• Say Ash says:

can they play defence?

• Fake says:

NO WAY IN HELL. You have to dump the bums (Diaz, Weber, Kabs) before even thinking about getting rid of a guy that can handle the pressure of MTL. And I wouldn’t take Drouin, I’d take MacKinnon, or Barkov.

• neumann103 says:

High first round draft picks are nice but it seems that people fetishize them.

I think PK Subban is demonstrably equivalent to a top 10 draft pick -plus a few years of actual development and validation. Would I take a flier on a chance for something better?

If the relationship with the Habs was poisoned or if PK was making $7M a year on the downswing of his career well of course I would consider that deal. But he is probably about 2 years away from his peak which should run about 5 years and will probably end up making somewhere in the $4- 4.5M range over the next three years so why on earth would I want to get rid of him?

The other thing I find odd about the draft pick fixation (apart form the bizarre willingness to move actual proven affordable roster players for random mid round picks with about 30% chance of ever playing in the NHL) is the Top 3 fetish. Figuring that 2012 was a little early to make any judgements on, I just pulled the previous two years of 1st round players chosen 6-10.

2011 6 Mika Zibanejad
      2011 7 Mark Scheifele
      2011 8 Sean Couturier
      2011 9 Dougie Hamilton
      2011 10 Jonas Brodin

2010 6 Brett Connolly
      2010 7 Jeff Skinner
      2010 8 Alexander Burmistrov
      2010 9 Mikael Granlund
      2010 10 Dylan McIlrath

Pretty good list.

So in short, I would be extremely reluctant to trade someone like PK Subban for anything other than a proven star of a similar age. And even in the draft sweepstakes, Top 3 is not magic, even more so if you have a deft talent like Timmins making the pick.

“Et le but!”

60. Hobie Hansen says:

The only concern I have with the team is the defense.

I actually think the offense is going to be fine. We’re going to get more out of Eller, Gionta is healthy – which will boost Plekanec and I’m hoping and somewhat expecting Bourque to pick it up. And the wild card is Galchenyuk. He’ll be good very good eventually, probably by next season but maybe, just maybe, he can stick immediately and make an impact.

The defense beyond Subban and Gorges is pretty shaky. It has been so long for Markov even though he did finish the season last year. I haven’t heard anything negative or positive about his stint in the KHL, other than him making the All-Star game, but I’ll really have to see him play the Bruins, Rangers and Flyers a handful of times to trust his knee and speed.

Kaberle is a big question mark and even in his best days he was never great in his own end. I love Franky Bouillon but I can’t imagine him having much left to offer and Weber and Diaz are just tiny and their little bit of offensive upside doesn’t make up for it.

I’m praying Emelin can play very well defensively and log a lot of minutes or things could be very ugly. We all know he can hit but in the corners and in front of the net is what I’m worried about.

Things are going to be a lot better down the road with Tinordi and Beaulieu and I’m very excited for their arrival. But we’re going to have suffer for a bit first I think. I give them a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs because every once in a while teams in Montreal can catch fire.

• Dulljerk says:

Defence is your only concern? Wow. The first 4 lines and defence are a major concern in my mind.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bah, the 1st line is gravy with Pacioretty, Desharnais and Cole. Gionta is back and He’ll get things going with Plekanec and hopefully Bourque. Eller is going to be one of the better 3rd line centers in the league, if he doesn’t end up playing on one of the top two lines.

Moen and Prust are going to provide a tad of offense and a big spark in the intensity department and we’re also going to have Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Leblanc in camp I’d imagine.

We’ll hopefully get a pleasant surprise with a forward, young or old, that we weren’t necessarily counting on that will give the offense a boost.

I have no problems with Price but people will blame him because of the weak defense.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

If we sustain injuries like last year we won’t make the playoffs. You’re right our D is a bit thin we might have to suffer another poor season but the future does look bright. Gally, Collberg, Tinordi, Beaulieu etc.

61. Dulljerk says:

Sorry guys, bringing in a re-tread for a coach, and signing Prust ain’t goin to do a thing. This team still stinks.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I don’t think this team is as bad as last season would have you think.

• Hobie Hansen says:

All of a sudden Montreal isn’t so small with Cole, Pacioretty, Moen, Bourque and Prust making up a good portion of the offense. For years it has been far too easy for defenseman to not have to look over their shoulder when playing Montreal.

With Therrien behind the bench and Bergevin calling the shots from upstairs, I think we’ll see some intense games that will give a new look to the team and give them some success.

62. slamtherimtim says:

I love PK

I hate Gomer

I hope Darche likes retirement

And I can’t decide if I’m happy hockey is back or mad I am going to watch every game. Finally Bell tsn Montreal is a bonus. I’m sick of the blank screen.

63. Bripro says:

Great thread! Kudos to Stu for a very entertaining montage.
    You can feel the excitement from the players.
    And Jack Todd is making a great deal of sense without too much facetiousness.
    It won’t be long people.

64. tippytoes says:

Ya i know you all have this man crush on PK and that’s fine. But the man has been a constant thorn to his teammates and coaches since he arrived in Montreal. what i’m saying here is factual and cannot be disputed. i too appreciate his talents as a he can be a great hockey player at times,

But on the bleeping TV as s analyst on the day that the lockout is over!! Come on, its just ego boosting. I hope Iron Mike Therrien puts and end to this clown

65. Propwash says:

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program of throwing Habs players under the bus.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

According to Sportsnet, Cammalleri took a Stamkos slapshot in the face and lost 3 front teeth. That million dollar smile of his will look a bit different.

67. Steeltown Hab says:

I hope PK gets a long term deal (under 5M per) and starts being treated the same way Price and Pacioretty are looked at as young leaders on this team. John Carlson got 3.9 per over 6 years and I think he’s a good comparable.

Really curious how Desharnais new deal unfolds and what his role with the team is going forward. At some point Eller needs to get a fair shot, and not a 1 or 2 game look in the top 6 as a winger.

Happy to be back boys.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

68. Wow, all the regulars are back and just talking Subban like nothing has happened. Guys, are you all just going to consume again? Isn’t there any latent anger? This isn’t even a real season, just 48-50 games to a sprint… As for Tippytoes… that’s such an old rant about PK. He has heart, attitude and style, something this team badly needs. There will be no trade, he will be a Habs for many years to come.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

69. sreuel says:

Subban could sign for more money than he is worth. The ball is in his court if the Habs want him bad

70. commandant says:

Another move that I could see being made would be a trade of Yannick Weber once Subban signs.

With Subban we’d have 8 defencemen on one way deals, plus Fredric St. Denis.

Too many of those D play a similar role and style, and I think LJV is the odd man out.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

71. tippytoes says:

Ok PK the lockout is over get off the freaking Sportsnet…What a attention seeker this guy is. Its always been about feeding his ego…I really hope MB trades his ass out of town…send him to LA where he can live the glamour live everyday

• Steeltown Hab says:

Relax, best D-man the team has had in a long time. You need a guy who can play in the high 20s of ice time come playoffs (where the kid has been lights out).

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

• ZepFan2 says:

I posted this on the other thread. Now I’ll post it here.

Good thing you’re in the minority in wanting PK to be traded.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

Thanks to Stubbs for the Markov article, I like Markov’s sense of humour. I think he will show himself well this season.

73. So forgive me people for not being excited. A shortened season means stats, performance, everything is on an asterisk. Effectively losing a real season and then limping it home. Sure there’s hockey, but it’s not a season, so why is everyone excited? Bettman is a complete $*&^%&%^&%$ and Fehr was doing his best for his players. Why only 8 owners get to put the team owners on a lockout and then jerk the players around and the fans for four more months, is beyond me. So everyone runs back and our game continues to be at the beck and call of greed. Sorry, still not excited. I liked Markov in the KHL, he was thriving.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

74. habs001 says:

Subban is the type of player you need to become a cup contender once the Habs upgrade by 5-7 players in the next few years…Hopefully Markov can regain some of his old form this year but so far in the 19 Khl( 1goal 4 assists) games his offense is not back…

75. Psycho29 says:

FEHR-ST !!!!

76. Kooch7800 says:

I think galchenyuk would be the best potential superstar for the habs. that isn’t to knock pk but I think Gally is the biggest potential star

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

77. Dulljerk says:

Based on what? I don’t get the Subban thing. I personally can’t see him being a franchise player. Any good skating defenseman can try to skate through an opposing team and NOT score.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

78. Saintpatrick33 says:

Or he’s a troll and should be ignored. He had a hard on for PK and was hating on him in the last article too.

79. Dulljerk says:

That is not hard to do.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

80. Kooch7800 says:

you said potential….

PK still has to get a lot better still and more consistent to be a star. Look at any of PK’s first half of the NHL seasons…not so good. which will be interesting in a 48 game season.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

81. Fake says:

I’m sorry did you say 17-18 yr olds? I think you mean 16-20 year olds. And no, PK does not have the most potential. Gally would be the guy atm. PK will be a GREAT TWD for years to come scoring in the 30-50 pts range, plus being solid as a rock defensively.

82. neumann103 says:

I don’t know, but this Gregerenko! guy sounds pretty good.

“Et le but!”

83. silversnake says:

Irrelevant under new CBA, it will count on the cap.

84. piper says:

You’re right LA. Langway is a better example. Chelios was almost 30 at the time they traded him and for off ice reasons.