P.K. Subban at top of Habs’ to-do list

Subban_001web

Now that there has been a tentative agreement reached to end the NHL lockout, the biggest question Canadiens fans are asking is: When will the Habs sign P.K. Subban?

Subban, a restricted free agent, earned $875,000 last season in the final year of his entry-level deal and wasn’t re-signed by new Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin during the summer.

The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reports that Subban will meet with his agent Don Meehan Monday at noon in Toronto and that if the defenceman isn’t signed by the time training camp starts, don’t expect to see him in Montreal.

“It’s been a very tough situation for me,” Subban told Stubbs. “I haven’t been able to engage myself in a lot of the things that our team has been involved in (during the lockout).

“That’s because as much as people may believe I’ll be back this season with the Canadiens, it’s still dependent on whether we can reach an agreement. Whether I’m positive about reaching an agreement or not, there’s always a chance it may not get to that.

“So now I’m on the outside looking in, obviously waiting for an agreement to get done.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Subban by clicking here.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that Bergevin and new Canadiens coach Michel Therrien can now get to work and that apart from Subban, Bergevin will have to decide what to do with Alex Galchenyuk, the team’s first-round draft pick this year. Therrien’s major chore will be to introduce a new system in a short period of time before the season starts.

You can read Hickey’s column by clicking here.

New Hab Colby Armstrong was behind the bench of the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL, working as an assistant coach, when he learned a tentative agreement had been reached to end the lockout. Canadiens captain Brian Gionta found out there was a deal when his young son jumped on his parents’ bed early Sunday morning after flipping on the TV.

Read Stubbs’s story on how Canadiens players learned the news and their reaction by clicking here.

Andrei Markov was in Yaroslavl, Russia, on Sunday afternoon, some 260 kilometres northeast of Moscow, when he heard the rumour that the lockout had been tentatively settled.

“It was all over the media here,” Markov told Stubbs over the phone.

And then he laughed.

“But you know me. I don’t believe the Russian media.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Markov and other Habs who were playing in Europe by clicking here.

In his Monday Morning QB, column, Jack Todd says shame on Gary Bettman and the NHL owners for allowing the lockout to drag on so long.

Writes Todd: “Four months of rage and bad press. Every dirty trick and nasty stunt in the Gary Bettman Lockout Playbook. Disgusted sponsors, alienated fans, lost revenue, lost salary, lost momentum and, very nearly, another lost season. All for what? A few tweaks on a 50/50 revenue split that was agreed to almost from the beginning? A deal in January that could surely have been reached in September? And now, a compressed 48- or 50-game season, with plenty of intensity and (no doubt) enough injuries to fill a hospital ward.”

You can read Todd’s entire column by clicking here.

Ken Campbell of The Hockey News writes that with the lockout finally over, it’s time for Bettman to step down as NHL commissioner. Read his column by clicking here.

The NHL on TSN has identified six urgent matters facing teams now that the lockout is over. Find out what they are by clicking here.

TSN also wonders if either side can claim victory after the lockout. Read more by clicking here.

Habs fans weren’t the only ones cheering the end of the lockout. Montreal restaurant and bar owners were also ecstatic, though concerned that some hockey fans will hold a grudge against players and owners.

Bars saw revenue fall by up to 40 per cent due to the labour conflict, with downtown Montreal particularly hard hit, Peter Sergakis, president of an association of bar owners, said Sunday. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

1. nek25plus says:

They need to sign P.K…otherwise o have to say “i’m done”. All this lockout nonsense is already too much to take. I am almost ready to wave the white flag.

We have constantly given good young talent before they hit their stride in order to keep veterans. The new NHL is about the youth, and we need to value ours.

Sign P.K, before he gets fed up and moves on. Toronto wgladly more heaven and earth to get him.

2. Ron says:

Its good to see the players happy to get back. JOSH GORGES was so happy he went out and had his new vehicle delivered today. His being pleased was tweeted by his dealer 2 hours ago. He bought a 2013 Jaguar Range Rover from JS Jaguar in Montreal. Good to be getting a cheque shortly.

3. habs001 says:

Is the NHL an easier league to play in than the KHL?… as Markov has produced 5 points in 19 games so far yet many posters think he will produce with the habs..hopefully they are correct but so far there is no indication that he is back to his old form…Diaz may have played well in the Swiss league but the games i saw him play in the Spengler cup he was over matched physically in the d zone just like last year with the habs…..

• jedimyrmidon says:

Markov was playing with a team that was basically known for its rough play. I’m assuming that means that they weren’t particularly known for any offensive or defensive play. I don’t think his KHL team had any other locked out NHL players either.

I’m not sure how many games in the Spengler Cup he played with HC Davos, but Diaz was playing against Team Canada loaded with All-Stars (and not playing shinny as in an All-Star game either). And he still managed to score a goal in a 7-2 loss. So I’d say he did fine.

4. Phil C says:

I am really curious as to what type of system the Habs will play this year. I am so tired of the JM trap, I am really hoping they open things up more this year. The Habs really do not have the defense for grueling defensive battles and close checking games, but they are well equipped for offensive hockey with Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Diaz and Weber on the back end. The US WJC under Housley activated their defense quite a bit in the attack, so I hope Montreal does the same.

Side note: I wonder if Housley’s stock as a coach is on the way up?

• nunacanadien says:

Sadly Therrien’s tenure was just as boring as JM’s trap style as both rely on defense. Sadly on top of that we have the bending Gorges who is easy to push around cause he bends so easily….and then we have Bouillon back who is tough but too short to be effective, and then Subban who can hit, but honestly, what do we have defensively?

5. habs-fan-84 says:

I’m excited to see Cube back in a Habs uni

with Cube, Emelin and PK on the back end, I’m excited for some big clean open ice hits

6. rhino514 says:

I don´t get why everyone is assuming the team will automatically use their two buy out options. I can see it being used with Gomez after the season, but, after all, these are buyouts which mean the club has to pay two thirds of the player´s salary for NOT playing. It is a slightly more atractive option if it doesn´t count against the cap, but still not a great tool. Paying two thirds of someone´s salary NOT to play and then having to pay his replacement, who if he´s any good is also going to cost quite a bit of money, doesn´t save much money in most cases. The only other situation where I could see the club wanting to get rid of a contract would be if Markov simply can´t play anymore, and in that case I believe putting him on LTR is a more attractive option.

Summit Reminder!
    Keep your cancelled Summit game tickets that you have.
    It is the only way to get your new replacement game tickets!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

8. adamkennelly says:

PK will get signed – 2 years at 4.25M average per year. tons of question marks for this year – this crap team did not get better by not playing together for 4 months but at least they will not get pushed around this year – should add up to at least a few wins. If Markov is back to 85% of his self and Price plays well – could make the playoffs.

9. New says:

I luv that hockey is close to being back! HIO is now back to bickering about who on the Canadiens should be fired rather than just grumbling about all the NHL should be canned.

Bergevin’s press conference this afternoon is to announce that…..?????

PK has been traded to the L.A. Kings!!?

• thorandresson says:

for Drew Doughty? YES!!!!lol

• TomNickle says:

You’re probably joking Ian but in all honesty I’m far less enthusiastic about his hiring than most.

Hiring Michel Therrien is a HUGE red flag for me.

Presumptuous or not it tells me that he puts more value in personal relationships than the best person suited for the job.

Very scary.

• Ian Cobb says:

Tom I tend to agree with you, now. At first he played all his cards well and I liked it. But your correct, he is a Francophone and friends of such through and through.

• Bripro says:

I don’t know about that Ian.
          Larry Carriere, Rick Dudley, Scott Mellanby… they’re all english.
          And then you have those who’ve played on english teams, like Marty Lapointe, JJ Daigneault….
          I think you guys are simmering what isn’t there.

• Phil C says:

I’m not sure MB had many better options, especially after Hartley signed in Calgary. A first year GM was not going to take a chance on a rookie, so the pool of bilingual NHL coaches with experience was quite small. Who would you have rather seen as coach?

• thorandresson says:

I’d say Guy Boucher was the best candidate and still is for the Montreal market, but I doubt Yzerman was going to let him go…

Other than that, Therrien was the best bilingual option, you could argue that Hartley is better, but I don’t see much of a difference.

I wonder if people are going to hate on Therrien more than they did on JM?

• TomNickle says:

Therrien being the next best thing to Hartley(and Hartley himself being the best candidate) are highly debatable opinions at best.

You know what you’re going to get with both of them and it ain’t all roses.

If you’re talking about the most experienced and successful coach it’s Marc Crawford. I admit that I wanted him as coach because he’s demonstrated that he understands the adjustments to coaching that are required to be successful in the NHL now.

Hartley and Therrien haven’t demonstrated that yet.

I would have had no problem with anybody other than Therrien or Carbonneau.

• Cal says:

After last season, Yzerman would have been glad to “help” the Habs out. Funny how this “innovative” coach bobbled the ball after his rookie season, eh?

• TomNickle says:

Boucher hasn’t yet demonstrated that he can adapt to his personnel. Very fair criticism Cal.

• TomNickle says:

There were plenty of options available. Sylvain Lefebvre has five years of coaching experience. Marc Crawford has over twenty years experience, Benoit Groulx has over ten years experience, Martin Raymond has three years experience.

There were several other candidates. And while I understand that not all of them have NHL head coaching experience, Therrien remains a very risky choice.

Guys like Hitchcock and Darryl Sutter have demonstrated they’ve adapted and realize that you can’t yell at, scream at or humiliate players now to get the best out of them. I’m not sure that Therrien has the humility to do that.

If he does, I’ll gladly admit that it was a good move. Otherwise, I’ll remain discouraged by the hire.

• thorandresson says:

Funny that you mention Sylvain Lefebre, he’s doing a pretty lousy job with Hamilton so far, then again young team, new coach so I’ll cut him some slack. Therrien is superior to all the candidates you mentioned.

• thorandresson says:

I don’t know how you could argue that Crawford has had more nhl success than both Therrien and Hartley, Hartley won a cup too (with the same team as Crawford) and Crawford’s last 5 teams have missed the playoffs. Oh and Crawford has the lowest winning % of all 3.

• Thurston says:

I suspect that Sylvain Lefebvre was named Hamilton head coach in preparation for the Canadiens’ job once Therrien flames out again.

• TomNickle says:

I really enjoyed all of the logic and analysis you put into that opinion just now.

Lefebvre has the youngest team in the AHL and didn’t have a bunch of current NHL players dropped into his lap to compete with.

The Bulldogs were destined to a have a subpar first season if you’re evaluating their season based on wins and losses.

As for the Head Coaching candidates. We’ve seen what Therrien can do and more importantly what he can’t do.

And you can’t quantify “best candidate”. What you can do is bring in the candidate you want based on the intangibles that you see.

By your logic I could call Brian Burke the best candidate with “because I said so” attached to the reason.

• Bripro says:

Marc Crawford?
            Really? Given the talented teams he had, I believe he only made it beyond round 1 twice. Yes, he won a championship, but how many times have the Canucks, Kings and Avalanche failed to make the playoffs with him at the helm?
            He would be a lousy choice, IMO.

• TomNickle says:

Crawford took on two rebuilding projects in his last two stops and guided a Canucks team with arguably the league’s worst goaltending to consistently deep playoff runs.

Crawford has the most experience, expressed the most desire for the job and has openly admitted his mistakes.

I haven’t heard any kind of mea culpa from Therrien or Hartley.

We’ll see.

• Bripro says:

Tom.
            I looked up his stats.
            He never took the Canucks deep.
            He made it to the second round once.
            And in the 13 years since he won the cup, he’s missed the playoffs 7 times, and was ousted from round one 4 times.
            That’s not very impressive.

• Phil C says:

I was expecting Crawford to be hired, but you have to give credit to Therrien for winning out in the interview process. He must have said some things to impress the Habs’ brass. I would like to think he has learned a few things since his last time in Montreal, which gives me hope that he can be effective.

• TomNickle says:

He won 7 rounds in 8 playoff appearances Brian. That’s well over league average and for the sake of levity…..

Hartley inherited Crawford’s team and produced like results.

Therrien has won 4 rounds in 5 playoff appearances. 3 of which came with the Penguins in ’07-’08.

Difference? Crawford went to the playoffs fairly consistently with Dan freaking Cloutier.

And in Dallas and Los Angeles had something ridiculous like 15 different goaltenders. Maybe that’s his fault. But if it isn’t, he should be at the top of most teams’ lists in my opinion.

I’m not sure how a vote against Crawford should translate to a vote for Therrien either by the way.

If you feel Crawford isn’t a good candidate that doesn’t by default make Therrien a good one.

• habstrinifan says:

Tom, I havent been able to catch many Bulldog games on TV. Not available here. But from the two or three that I have seen I am disappointed in how that team plays (is coached therefore). If this is a directive from MB/Therrien then I dont blame him but do not look forward to good hockey in Mtl. Sylvan came in with a really good reputation but the dullness of the Bulldogs is not speaking well to it.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I absolutely hated the Therrien hiring at first, however, humans learn by making mistakes. Michel has had lots of time reflect and identify what he’s done wrong in the past. To this end, I’m willing to give him a second chance (provided he’s actually learned something). At the very least the team won’t be pushed around as easily; this I like.

• TomNickle says:

I would agree but the team was pushed around last time he coached it.

There’s one thing I like about his hiring, and one only. When he was the coach previously the Habs were the most disciplined team in the NHL despite being one of the least talented.

And if he’s reigned in his temper and dictator attitude it could be a great hire. If he hasn’t corralled those personality traits I’m afraid it will be a dumpster fire.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Fair enough.

• thorandresson says:

But isn’t it that reign of terror and dictator attitude what makes his teams disciplined?

You also mentioned that Crawford had admitted to his mistakes while Therrien hasn’t. I recall seeing a few interviews where Therrien talked about what he’s learned and how he’s learned to better deal with players, sounds like admitting mistakes to me.

Anyways, I’m not saying that Therrien is the greatest choice, however given what was available I have no problem with it and I’d be far more worried with Crawford at the helm.

• New says:

Training camp will begin once the CBA is ratified.

• Nitroslices says:

LOL…The LA Kings will be a stand-pack team. PK has not been signed because management is testing the waters to see whether they can get a better return for him from either Philadelphia or the Oilers. If a deal cannot be made, Molson WILL sign PK. I will add that if PK has not signed by the opening of the Habs training camp, chances are he will not be in Montreal; just an opinion.

Talk is that training camp won’t start until Saturday or Sunday. Then the players have just one week to get ready. I can’t see much happening there, espiecally with the Habs only having to make one or two roster decisions.

The big issue just might be coming out of the gate and playing 3.5 games a week. This could easily lead to a few injuries for each team. The only guys in Hamilton right now are Leblanc and Blunden with no candidates on defense. One major injury and the season could be over before it starts. Of course you could say the same thing about all the other teams near the bottom of the conference.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

I was following Arpon Basu on Twitter last night and he presented an interesting scenario where he believes Galchenyuk does have a “shot” of making the team and playing on a line on the wing on one of the top two lines since he’s been playing there in Sarnia and on the US junior team and has looked very good.

Thoughts?

• TomNickle says:

If Therrien’s got any brains he’ll play Gomez with Gionta, because he’s going to have to find a spot for Gomez.

Chemistry is going to be paramount.

I would have Galchenyuk with Plekanec and Bourque and pray to God that the two veterans(Plekanec and Bourque) get along better than they did last year. If it didn’t work, I’d move Eller to the left wing on that line.

• thorandresson says:

I was on the fence about him making the team before the season started, but after watching him at the WJC’s I think he can definitely help the team on the PP and so I think he’ll make it as a 2nd/3rd liner and PP specialist.

• TomNickle says:

His shot is already elite by NHL standards, as are his puck handling and passing.

If he’s coming up to the big club they’ll have to limit his minutes and use him on the Powerplay as you say.

• Strummer says:

The third overall pick should be given every opportunity to stick with a 28th place team.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

13. bel33 says:

Mmm… (wipes sleep from eyes)
    Hey guys… been a couple months…. what did I miss?
    So we get not one… but TWO “cement shoes” buyouts after the season?
    Nice!!

14. SmartDog says:

Re: Subban and Cap issues, I don’t think the Habs are in a bad position WRT the cap.

Right now Gomez and Kaberle account for almost 12 million. It’s unlikely Kaberle AND Markov will still play in Mtl next year so assume one of them is gone and the number drops by at least 12. On top of that, Markov (if still here) and Gionta are both UFAs a year later so there’s another 11 million.

The money is there for Subban, and with some good young players on D, and some good prospects up front, the Habs should be okay capwise for a few years. IF they don’t do anything stupid. Since Gauthier is gone…. I think it’s fairly safe.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

15. habs913 says:

Does anyone know if Galchenyuk will be playing for Sarnia before attending training camp?

16. Strummer says:

New Coach + New System + No Training Camp = Potential Slow Start.

A 48 game schedule is going to be a sprint, so stumbling out of the blocks is not an option.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

17. SmartDog says:

5 THOUGHTS:
    1. PK is the #1 priority now and he will be signed. It might be short term (an indication they couldn’t agree on what his value is), but he WILL be signed and soon. He can be traded later if there is an issue – easily – but whatever his situation it makes sense for Therrien to work with him.
    2. Galchenyuk will not play with the big club this year. At most he’ll get a game or two late in the season if there are a lot of injuries, but more likely he won’t play a real game at all.
    3. I predict this year that Eller, Weber, and Diaz will all see their stock rise while DD’s stock will fall.
    4. Our 2nd best LW is still Bourque (behind Patches). Is this a problem? I think so. BTW, interesting to note, the “small” Habs now have 6 forwards at 6’2″ (Patches, Cole, Moen, Bourque, Eller, Armstrong), and when Gomez is gone will have only 3 players – all of them valuable – under 6′ (Plex, Gionta, DD).
    5. For our summer buy-outs. No question that it will be Gomez. But who else – Kaberle or Markov? It could be Markov if a) Kaberle has a great season and b) Markov has lost a step. Hopefully Markov is fine, but this could happen.
    SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

On the Galchenyuk point.

This would be the ideal time to bring him up to the big club. Low expectations for the team in a shortened season and while it would burn a year of RFA eligibility it would allow him to get further acclimated to an NHL season and would also be an ideal time frame for him to get his feet wet so that he could start next season with confidence having already played an NHL season.

Bringing him in next season without any NHL action could result in a season long struggle to get accustomed to the level of play.

Allowing him to get his early struggles out of the way in a 48 game season could have him set to be an impact player from day one next season.

• New says:

Galchenyuk played on the gold medal team. Nail failed on the Russian team that fought it out for fourth with those other guys. Nail will play in the NHL or stay KHL. Why not Galchenyuk? It isn’t like the Habs lineup has been laying low for 20 years waiting to surprise us with a sudden resurgence to glory. This is an overpaid, under performing, team that fired their coaches without replacement last year, fired their GM without replacement last year, and has developed a last place minor league team so far. The new GM picked Galchenyuk, signed Galchenyuk, and unless he wants another one (bets may be off with new draft process) will likely play this one rather than let someone else develop him and then take the blame if Galchenyuk turns out to be average. Bergeron can cement his place by showcasing Galchenyuk and making all before look bad in comparison.
        Maybe.

• Cal says:

1. Agree.
      2. Disagree
      3. Weber and Diaz will not make the club, while Eller does a little better and DD’s production drops.
      4. Bourque is a RW who was stuck onto the LW by the Habs. Yet another case of placing players into the failure position. Is that answer Nyuk this season?
      5. Gomez, but not sure about anyone else.

• HabFanSince72 says:

5. If Markov is unable to play due to injury he doesn’t count against the cap. If he is fit, no way will we feel the need to buy him out.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Bripro says:

1. Agreed, totally.
      2. I would rather see him play the prerequisite 9 games early on, then send him back.
      3. Agree and Disagree. Diaz is holding his own very well in the Swiss league this year and I predict he’ll do the same when he gets here. I’d like to see them trade Weber. Yes DD will not perform to the same level as last year, but Max and Cole will still help pick him up. And Eller will be beast.
      4. Agreed. On all points.
      5. Dump Kaberle, like yesterday’s news. He’s done. Markov looks like he’s got his mojo back, so that should be very good news.

• New says:

1. PK is market. He is a salesman for hockey, well spoken, smart, community orientated, and not franco. His value outside Montreal is far greater than within the community. RDS gets more viewers in Montreal than TSN. He will be signed. The question is by who and for what.
      2. Galchenyuk is Bergeron’s big pick. Watch for him to start in Montreal, and stick.
      3. If Eller’s stock rises, and Gomez stays, and Pleks stays, then DD will fall. Has to or Pleks goes. No one will want DD or Gomez.
      4. Yes.
      5. I don’t see Markov or Kaberle being bought out. But everything depends on how stubborn Therrien and Bergeron are about some things. Nothing to do with their play.
      Just being the devil’s advocate.

18. Bripro says:

The NHL network has been showing “classic” playoffs of the past.
    The one series I did watch, for obvious reasons, was the Habs/Capitals of 2009-10.
    For anyone with reservations about Markov, I would suggest you google and watch it.
    He was a beast. He is such a smart player. Even if he’s given up some speed as a result of his two operations, I still think he will be key.
    And if we’re really looking at adding a grinding forward, I would go after Dominic Moore. Grit. Stamina. Never-say-die.
    These are his attributes, and they are a prerequisite on any team.
    He’s a UFA, so go ahead and sign him.

• habs33 says:

We seem to have short term memories when it comes to players like Moore, eh? We’ve done this dance in the past few seasons with Begin, Darche, Moore, Smolinski, and Halpern.

Maybe the thought process this year is that Armstrong and Prust will fill this void.

GO HABS GO!

Follow me on Twitter:djamesross

• Bripro says:

Agreed.
        Although most on your list were never lights-out for me due to their age or lack of talent, a few players went beyond, and they included Moore, and Halpern, to a lesser extent (it should be noted that we could have used his face-off expertise).
        The same could have been said the following year of Metropolit.
        I believe he had a dozen or so PP goals for the Habs, and then was dropped without regard.

• commandant says:

I’m a big fan of Dominic Moore.

However, I’m not 100% sure he’s available.

I know that when last season ended the reason he didn’t sign a new contract on July 1st (and he missed playoff games last year) was because his wife has cancer and he decided to stay home to be with her.

No idea what that means today, how her treatment is going, and what his decision is now 7 months later, but thats what we heard in June.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habs33 says:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Metropolit.

Smokes was one of those guys who gave it his all, but you’re right, he was passed his prime.

Halpern still could contribute and so could Darche. It’s too bad they couldn’t keep them on. I’d rather havethem than Bourque and Gomez.

GO HABS GO!

Follow me on Twitter:djamesross

19. habsnyc says:

The NHL and players have yet to reach an agreement on drug testing. The NHL has the most lax testing of any professional sport. I am increasingly skeptical that this is a clean league. I would not be surprised if players started taking steriods in high school.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

Call me a pessimist, but re PK I think Bergivin is going to blow it.
    We will lose the only good defenseman we have.

21. habs33 says:

That article doesn’t paint a very rosy scenario, does it?

I know this league is a business, but I’ve got to assume PK would be willing to take some kind of hometown discount to stay with the Habs. Given the correct coaching, I think PK can be one of those lynchpin players that Dave was talking about in this article – Price, MaxPac and Georges. PK will do well to have Markov back as well and you’ve got to imagine that having Markov back 100% good to go has got to be a carrot dangling in front of him. What a pairing that would be – both defensively sound and rockets from the point!

I hope Molson/MB step up with a reasonable long term offer and PK does “the right thing”.

GO HABS GO!

Follow me on Twitter:djamesross

His hometown is Toronto.

;)

• habs03 says:

talked about often here, the money isn’t the issue with Subban right now, its the term, he shouldn’t have to take a discount, Gorges got full value, Price too, maybe Patches took a 500K discount. But with Subban its about UFA/RFA years. a 4-5 year deal is bad for Mtl, it only takes RFA years up. If your going to go long term, just go max 8 years then.

• habstrinifan says:

I wrote a post many many months ago re some insight into P.K’s MOM opinions… which I wont go into again but which are relevant. I dont think MONEY or LONG TERM is the biggets problem. A 2 yr deal with reasonable dollars … not 1.5 mill etc… will do the trick if it is accompanied by a positive message to the family… believe me.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ll believe Markov is 100% of his old self after the first month or maybe longer.

Jameson! The ball is in the rookie G.M. Bergevin’s corner now, will he make the right moves?
    The Hab’s need to look long term at their kids that will have to be signed in the next 3 years with a CAP that is lower, and over priced players already signed for two long.

It will be a tight squeeze for Bergervin to keep all this talent around under the new salary cap with over priced vets around. Something has to give as far as the total club salary is concerned.
    What they want to do and what they can do is two very different things. And Bergevin is not only a rookie, but brings a very different philosophy to our organization.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks Ian for your response. Guess we’ll know in a few days. From my perspective, P.K adds to the ‘glamour’ of our team. And even if he is worse than his detractors insist I dont see him having been bad for the team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bergevin is going to buyout Gomez and Kaberle prior to next season and Gionta’s and Markov’s expire at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season.

2014-15 will be the start of what we’ve all been patiently waiting for when all the overpriced veterans are gone.

23. TomNickle says:

Been a long time since I’ve been on here so if it’s been discussed I apologize.

But I find it funny that TSN and nearly every other scouting source has ranked Nathan Mackinnon and Seth Jones #1 and #2 or in a dead heat for the first selections in the upcoming draft.

I brought it up many times prior to my self exile from here but Aleksander Barkov from Finland should be seen as the unanimous #1 prospect with Jones and Mackinnon fighting for #2.

Barkov has been playing pro for two years and is a 17 year old. In other words, he started playing pro hockey at 16 years of age. He’s a near point per game player in one of the most notably low scoring leagues in the World and has ideal size and offensive creativity to be a top ten NHL player if not better.

Nathan Mackinnon might not be the best forward on his own team with Jonathan Drouin displaying elite offensive ability and instincts while Mackinnon struggled to adjust to the speed of the game during the World Juniors.

Seth Jones is the prototypical #1 defenseman and I believe has the highest ceiling of any prospect for the upcoming draft but I saw a very selfish player in watching him during the WJHC and if he doesn’t mature, he won’t become the player he should.

Food for thought.

• 24 Cups says:

Funny you would bring up this point. I was just wondering what might happen if Montreal was somehow able to pick 1st in the draft this summer. Could this be another Denis Savard scenario? Would there be immense pressure to pick Drouin? The Habs haven’t had a French star player since Lafleur (or Roy if you’re so inclined).

• TomNickle says:

I really don’t think anybody with a top 5 pick in June could screw it up if they select any of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin or Lindholm.

But having said that I wouldn’t be taking Mackinnon with the 1st overall pick as it stands today and I’d have a hard time taking anybody over Barkov.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

How high a pick would you risk on Nichuskin?

24. Bripro says:

This year will be one to remember in more ways than one.
    Aside from the lock-out, I would think the owners will take an inventory of the NHL executive.
    I don’t see Butthead being there much longer.
    With all the threats, the hills-to-die on, the negativity and the end result being the owners looked foolish in the end, I don’t see why they would chose to keep him any longer.
    As for Fehr, given his age and the fact that the NHLPA brought him out of retirement, I would say his time is almost up as well.
    Let’s hope that the next 10 years are hockey-only.
    Shelve the politics. Shelve the animosity.
    We the fans will take care of upheaval.
    Bring on the show, and make it a good one!

25. shiram says:

Would be annoying to lose Emelin, but this would not be much of an issue for the Habs.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Just a low rumble for now, but there are whispers KHL teams may be offering “inducements” to get RUS stars to stay and not return to NHL.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie In last 24 hours, multiple sources told me NHL teams would do well to have roll call because it’s possible a RUS player or two may not show.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Two things to keep in mind: 1. Many RUS stars publicly stated earlier this season they might stay the entire the year in the KHL.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2. NHL-KHL have post-Radulov pact to honor contracts. That said, been suggested to me this entire issue could heat up again. We’ll see.

26. TomNickle says:

I was excited for the return of the NHL and then I remembered that Marc Bergevin hired Therrien.