P.K. is last unsigned Canadien

DiazRoom
Raphael Diaz signed a new two-year contract with the team on Friday, avoiding arbitration.
This leaves P.K. Subban as the Canadiens’ only unsigned Restricted Free Agent.
Both Diaz and Subban are clients of super agent Don Meehan, so the last piece of the puzzle should be in place imminently.

Diaz will make $1.25 million in the first year of the deal, $1.25 million in the second.

Diaz becomes the Canadiens’ sixth highest-paid defenceman – seventh when P.K. signs.

Diaz’s salary last season, his first in North America, was $900,000.

And while P.K. is waiting to sign:

The team announcement on Diaz:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced today the signing of defenseman Raphael Diaz to a two-year contract (2012-13 and 2013-14). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Diaz, 26, completed his first season with the Canadiens in the NHL in 2011-12. The 5’11’’, 191 lbs defenseman recorded 16 points (3 goals, 13 assists) in 59 games. He tallied one winning goal, added 61 shots on goal and served 30 penalty minutes, while averaging 18:00 of ice time per game. Diaz blocked 102 shots, ranking third among rookie defensemen in the NHL. He missed the team’s last 16 games of the season due to a season-ending groin injury.

A native of Baar, Switzerland, Diaz was part of the All-Rookie Team at the NHL All-Star Weekend. He first signed with the Canadiens as a free agent on May 13, 2011.

1. logical 46 says:

It’s a sad situation when 50% of your Defense is AHL caliber. George’s and Markov are NHL CALIBER but, ARE BASICALLY ONE CHECK AWAY from another knee injury. They have nobody that is big that can move people from in front of the net. It’s Gauthier’s Defense, year two. And OH yes Kaberle he’s been finished for two years. It is simply impossible (with this defense) for the Canadiens to make the playoffs. I am willing to bet on this one.

• nunacanadien says:

I wonder if Bergevin will and can make any real changes with what little budget he has left. We may make the first round of the playoffs if we are lucky. But I agree, basically we are short Hal Gill and you saw how the habs were without him. What Bergevin signed so far mainly seems to be for shoring up Scott Gomez. The habs ownership committee wants the habs to suck yet again. What do you expect when they live in Toronto, the Coors group of companies on the Canadian side all live in Toronto and the Coors group owns Geoff Molson.

2. jamefour says:

PK will be the last to be signed? What about Geoffrion? Did I miss his signing?

– Perhaps it’s because Geoffrion isn’t even mentioned on the Canadiens official website.

3. Captain aHab says:

Renaud Lavoie just tweeted the owners’ proposal:

Can’t see the players accepting this.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Malreg says:

I was pretty positive that they would get a deal done before the season starts, but now that I see what the league wants, I’m not so sure anymore…

For those who aren’t on twitter:

1- Players share of revenu down to 47% instead of the current 56%.
      2- UFA after 10 years, instead of 7.
      3- Maximum contract length of 5 years.
      4- No more salary arbitration.
      5- Entry level contracts upped to 5 years instead of 3.

• chelseafan says:

would we get the 3rd pick in the next draft if the season is cancelled?

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, this is obviously an opening salvo and no way will it fly.

#4 is ridiculous. They have to have some mechanism for disputes or the civil courts will get dragged into the NHL’s business and that’s the last thing they want.

I’m not even going to dignify the other deal points with comment, except that in principal I think shorter contracts are wise for all parties.

• --Habs-- says:

Arbitration works either way for a player! I say leave it it but a team who walks from an arbitrators decision should also be compensated in a draft choice from the team who signs him once he declares himself a UFA.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That has to be a hoax.

If not, then we won’t have to worry about sucking next season.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nice non-starter of an initial offer. If the owners have 46% as their cynical opening bid for splitting revenues, it’s an indication of how much they’ll fight to get 50% or under. The players will be in a fight to stay anywhere near 57%. We’ll have our lockout yet, and burn off a year of Scott Gomez’ contract the easy way.

5 year entry-level contracts and no arbitration are another ridiculous opening position. They know that can’t stand, players like Steve Stamkos and Drew Doughty would be underpaid for years in that system. It would probably open them up to legal challenges too. They’ll probably yield on that in a last-minute deal. pretend to give up on something they don’t believe they’ll get anyway. The system works fine now, rookies have to earn their big second contracts and beyond, and owners aren’t on the hook for first-round busts.

10 years to free agency is an honest opening position, in that an 18 year old phenom is a free agent at 28, at the height of his earning powers. Problem is the majority of players or college players who make it at 22 or 23 years old, and would probably never have a shot at free agency. A compromise can be worked out there.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
      June 2627: Mathieu Darche
      June 26: Ryan White
      June 30: Alexei Emelin
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 52: Carey Price [x]
      July 6: Lars Eller
      July 9: P.K. Subban

• --Habs-- says:

I don’t mind 10 years to UFA. What should change is a balanced contract. Meaning the monetary term of the contract should be split evenly throughout the time of the contract. SO if a player signs a 100 million 10 year contract he gets paid 10 million a year and the cap is 10 million a year. Signing bonuses go against 1st year cap and performance bonuses go against the following year of which they are incurred.

4. slapshot777 says:

Why is everyone so intend on trading away one of our best defensemen, in PK Subban. What has he done that is so unforgivable that we must banish him from the Habs.

Here lately almost every trade that is proposed starts out with PK going back the other way. What is the problem?
    Is it his skin color? Is it his attitude? Is it he is too good of a player we really don’t need that type of player? Is it because Markov may not like PK? What really is the problem?

• chelseafan says:

I love PK, but it is our offence that needs a boost. Vlasic is very solid and we have Beaulieu getting ready. Just a thought- but it is more a compliment to PK that he would be coveted.

• LA Loyalist says:

The problem is we have very few truly trade-able players, beyond 3rd and 4th line grinders. With Price now signed, who else is left to talk about that any other team would actually want?

Also, PK’s camp (I’m not saying him, I’m saying his agent) it is in their interest to create a market in order to maximize the return. It’s just business. PK has the most potential upside of any of our players other than perhaps Alex G, who at this point is a kid. Montreal would be insane to trade him unless the deal were over the moon spectacular.

That said, if Gretzky can be traded, than anyone can be traded. But I wouldn’t lay away at night over it nor do I think it’s anything sinister.

• terrier92 says:

PK would look great in a Bruins uniform. If Montreal is dumb enough to trade him we would love him here in Beantown. On another matter NHL network played game 4 clinching cup game against Flyers from 1976. What impressed me were the interviews of the Habs players after the game. Lets be real clear that group haunted the Bruins however what an impressive group. Bright, poised, reflective and just at the beginning of one impressive run. I really enjoyed seeing it. It kinda of soften the blow a bit to see the human side behind the hated Habs jersey. Just reinforced my impressions from seeing hockey the last 45 years (yeah long time season ticket holder) that was a all time great group. No shame in losing to that group and Bruins did give them all they could handle and Bruins were not in their league . 1979 stung for 33 years till B’s won last year. Glad to see Habs getting better. Nothing like B’s habs rivalry . Cant WAIT TILL THEY DROP THE PUCK,,,,,

Go Bruins

5. chelseafan says:

Heard we might be interested in Marleau… if 20 million for 4 years is not enough for Doan how ’bout it? Marleau and Vlasic for PK and ???- would ya do it???

• HabFanSince72 says:

Hmm… no.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• jedimyrmidon says:

How old is Marleau? We don’t need another high cap hit veteran forward. And while I’m sure Vlasic is a solid Dman as many posters here have indicated, he isn’t PK who I think will be more than just reliable and solid.

6. Newf_Habster says:

Alfieturcotte

Here’s the link of cropped screenshot that I told you about wrong login early today:

You can see your login name there.

7. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

ok, this should be the step-by-step procedure in any instance of Boston attempting to rough up or intimidate the Canadiens in the TD Garden:

1. Colby Armstrong runs Lucic into the end boards as hard as he can, and then runs for his life.

2. Prust fights Campbell and kicks the crap out of him, and then proceeds to imitate Lucic’s post fight routine.

3. White goes with Boychuck (again) and beats him (again) but stays away from anyone out of his weight class.

4. Emelin goes into beast mode

5. Subban scores flashy goal and accompanies it with a middle finger and other obscene gestures to the crowd.

6. Anyone challenged to a fight by Thornton is to refuse and accompany the refusal with a strongly worded insult (“I F**ed your mother” or somthing like that.)

7. Evryone stays the heck away from Chara untill the last 30 seconds or so, and even then, make sure that the chirping is done from the bench.

8. Boullion does whatever he does best

9. Moen acts as a deterrent.

10. Price goes Hextall on Marchand

11. Evryone chirps the fans

that is all

now have at me!

8. The Cat says:

Im a fan of PK and whatever he does is fine by me. I been here on HIO for a couple of years now, and consensus was for a while that the habs needed players with jam. And we cant say that PK doesnt bring the same attitude in the games, and yes I will say it, some of PK’s ‘victims’ during the practices need to toughen up a little.

• Caper says:

Agree with you 100% Cat. Pk gives the Habs excitement and I love his attitude. PK also keeps younger fans interested in the Habs and we need this or we end up losing young fans to the Pens , Capitals and now the Oliers. I’ve been a fan since the very early 1970’s and I find him to be the most exciting Hab since Guy.

**Dave Keon is an all-time Leaf great but he hates them more than I do.

9. Adidess says:

@HabFab
    Green font? I’m also on IPhone, which doesn’t help…

10. Adidess says:

@GrimJim

What are you doing bringing evidence and reason into the argument? -)

If you had the choice between saying…
    ‘PK has been involved in 3 minor scrums with teammates over trashtalking and going too hard at practice’ and
    ‘PK gets into fights every other week and had squared off with every teammate not named Gill’,
    in defense of your argument for why PK should be traded, which argument would you choose? The second one gives you a bit more support, right?

Let me get this straight. So Chicago isn’t trading P. Kane despite his outrageous behavior over a nb of years, repeatedly embarrassing the team. The Jets aren’t trading E. Kane. But the Habs should consider trading their second year player, 23, top defenseman only because he may rob some uptight people the wrong way (by being too extroverted, too excited, too confident, too unrestrained).

The world has changed a lot. As in other walks of life, there is room in sports for a wider range of personalities, behaviors, and styles. Young people don’t wait for permission to be anymore. Other sports have embraced personalities, you know.

The kid has done nothing to be viewed as a misfit by anybody.

11. Hoegaarden says:

Should the Habs look into trading one of our Swiss combo, I would think that Diaz might interest Calgary for it was Hartley who highly recommended him to the Habs. Not sure who the Habs would be looking for in return but include a mid-round draft pick and who knows what might be offered in return.

12. The Dude says:

Nathan McKinnon is ours baby

Nice, would love to have him, did we make a trade with Columbus or Edmonton to get their first round draft pick?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have no real data or personal observation to back this up, but I’ll take Seth Jones thank you very much.

• ABHabsfan says:

I would put Sean Monaghan in the mix as well (67s). And Sam Reinhart as a really nice consolation

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

13. AK_PK_Usay says:

I am seeing quite a bit of complaining that PK is too intense in practice.

I was under the impression this is the NHL, and you play to win…

The harder you practice, the better you will get when you play an opposing team.

Winners do it all to win, and trash talking to get under your skin is fair game, much better than baby crosby that just cries, and cries some more…

Under Martin habs played not to lose… Therrien is mediocre… Muller and Boucher were let go because of incompetence. Much how Muller was traded as a player for no deleted good reason.

14. habs-hampton says:

It’s really none of my business, but if you were PK or particularly Diaz, wouldn’t you be a little worried about Meehan representing both of you. I mean basically Bergevin has x number dollars to split between both of them, so they’re both competing for a bigger slice of that pie through the same agent. Every dollar that Diaz got is a dollar that is no longer available for PK.

I know, I’m quibbling, but its mid-July and there’s no hockey to talk about!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Conflicts of interest for an agent are always a danger in principle, and I suspect that’s why some players prefer a smaller agency with a more restricted client list. You wouldn’t be out of line to suspect that your agent might give in on your negotiation to gain something from the GM for his other client. All parties always flatly deny this ever happens, but you can imagine that a player could get suspicious.

• ABHabsfan says:

I agree, it would be too easy for the agent to work the two players against each other in negotiating. The commission for PK will be much larger than for Diaz. (this comment brought to you by Capt. Obvious)

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• LA Loyalist says:

Um, as long as the commission % is the same, the gross commission is the same.

For example, if Diaz gets 3 and PK 5, or Diaz 2 and PK 6, the total is still 8, ergo the gross commission is the same.

That’s actually one of the benefits of the cap.

15. HabFab says:

I was one of the first people on this site to talk up Diaz when he was first signed and I’m glad he is resigned.
    On the other hand, think him and Weber are too much the same type and not strong enough physically so would like to see one traded.
    I would hope Weber is traded first because right now IMO Diaz is the better.
    Who ends up the better player is irrelevant because in 3 years they both are gone.

16. solomio says:

Heard on 990 not long ago that Doan has signed for 30 mill for 4 years to an Eastern Conference team.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

17. TorontoHabsFan says:

So what do you think – start the season with one of Palushaj, Leblanc, or Geoffrion on the third line or Kostitsyn on the 2nd?

18. frontenac1 says:

So how many cups did we win with guys like Big Bird,Butch ,Bluet,Nilan in the line up? “Look to future,but Remember the Past”. Running out of juice on my bb,so over and out. Have a great night and stay safe amigos.Hola!!

19. jo_maka says:

I really sink that this is a good deal. I sink Kraperle and Le Jeune Vebaire are trade baits on the blueline. And I sink that’s great news for the future.

On to The Soobs !!!

20. ed lopaz says:

naweed,

Jacques Martin and Cammalleri, are both gone.

Gomez is on his way out the door.

What will we do when there is no one left to complain about Subban?

Probably, start winning!!

• naweed235 says:

you have a point there… although for that to start we probably need to get rid of DD, Pleks and Markov too

• punkster says:

Why stop there? Cole is costing a fortune and is old beyond belief, Max is a fragile concussion-prone one season wonder, Gorges is way over rated and Price has never won a thing.

Hell, blow it up and start over, I say. Trade ‘em all while their value is high.

DO IT MB!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

so two of the best power forwards in the NHL, a star goalie, and a great shutdown defenceman are all tradeable??

what are you smoking??

• punkster says:

I shouldn’t have to use emoticons to express my sarcasm and you shouldn’t have to take me seriously when I suggest something as outrageous as that.

Man, the heat’s gettin’ to everyone in here today.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

I’m smoking with Punkster, don’t stop at trading players, lets trade for a new arena in a province with lower taxes! Trade Everything!

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

sorry man, is’s this blasted 33 degree heat!

(and emoticons would be appreciated)

• dhenry1234 says:

I’m pretty sure it’s all sarcasm.

• ed lopaz says:

forget this crap, naweed.

if you really believe PK is the best player on the Habs, just stick to that.

the rest of the stuff you hear about is nonsense.

the team is much better with PK on it.

sure he can piss some people off from time to time, mostly because he “shit talks” them during practice, but that’s not a reason to trade him.

what PK does is done all over the NBA, the NFL, and MLB.

he makes a good play against someone in practice, and he rubs it in their face, its called “shit talking”

forget it.

its not worth trading him for that.

• Dulljerk says:

Ya, the team is “much better with P.K. on it”, except the team sucks. Most ridiculous statement I’ve read yet on this forum.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• ZepFan2 says:

Keep trying. It’s not working.

What excuse will you make when P.K.’s signed…long term?

———————————————————————-
        “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• naweed235 says:

I don’t understand why you think that I WANT PK traded? All I said was I won’t be surprised as most here if it were to happen. Like I said I think he is the best player on the ice when he plays and as fans that’s really all we can ask for. I don’t care if he is so loud mouthed that the whole team want’s to pull his thong out as long as they win. I was talking about it as a team perspective and judging by their last place performance winning was not what we got…

• ZepFan2 says:

You don’t care if he’s a loudmouth?

Then why bring it up in the first place and then try to defend it by name dropping?

———————————————————————-
            “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• naweed235 says:

to zep:
            No, I as a fan, couldn’t care less. But I can’t say the same for his teammates.

• ZepFan2 says:

But you’re not quoting players. I am.

You’re saying Cammy and Gomez said P.K. is a big mouth. Where and when did they say this?

My quotes from Gill are right from H I/O.

Because Markov says, no comment, that means he hates P.K.? Ever hear of dry humour?

———————————————————————-
            “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

I can’t see why people are unhappy with the Diaz signing.

He was a total freebie last season in terms of an asset acquistion.

His first season was decent considering he played on a last place team on a smaller ice surface over an extended time frame.

Barring any injuries, I can easily see him fighting it out with Weber for the 7th spot. Same size, type of game, and general age. One shoots left while the other fires from the right side. Diaz also is good insurance in case Kaberle leaves or Markov gets hurt again.

Failing all of that, the fact that he is signed for two years at low coin just happens to up his trade value.

Saying he isn’t the large, bruising Dman we need is hardly his fault.

His development path also dove tales with that of all of the young kids reporting to Hamilton. He gets another year or two to show his stuff while players like Beaulieu and Ellis apprentice in Steel City.

It’s a win-win situation for the Habs and Diaz.

• ed lopaz says:

of course, you are absolutely right, 24 Cups.

but you hardly need me to tell you that.

either we keep Diaz or we trade him, but the no brainer was we had to get him signed first.

• twilighthours says:

Both shoot right.

I’d rather weber, for a variety of reasons

No disagreement here Steve, getting a guy like Diaz signed is key. As you say we found him and got him for nothing. He may become a longterm depth dmen, he may become long term 5th/6th dman or he may get traded and get us an asset. All of those options are a bonus given we got him for nothing. But let the haters hate!

22. sreuel says:

How about Doan shouldn’t he be the next piece of the puzzle. I have my doughts for new season if they can only score 1 or 2 goals a game like last season then ??

23. frontenac1 says:

EO habfan, My favorite was watching Big Bird tossing around tough guy Schultz like ragdoll while pummeling him. In Philly! Priceless!

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

YEAH BOYEEE!!!

I hope Tinordi bulks up to around 245, gets some experience, and does that exact same thing to Lucic in a few years!

now that would be priceless!

24. The Cat says:

How come Eric Cole doesnt get any respect? I always read Price or PK is the best player on the team. Am I the only one that thinks Cole is the best player on the habs?

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

you are not alone, in 2014 or 2016 Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Thrower, Tinordi, Colberg, and Gallagher will be the best players on the Habs.

But now, the best players are Cole and Pacioretty

• bleedhabs81 says:

So, no Pacioretty in 2016… or is he going to regress by then?

I like your optimism. 7 best players. That is a lot of best players to have. Sounds like we will get the cup.

Really though? You think Thrower, Colberg, etc will be considered as part of our best? I can see PK, Price, and maybe Gally (needs to prove to me he isn’t a Daigle first)…. but Thrower?? Isn’t he projected to be a 3rd liner?

I sure hope there is also a FA signing with some magnitude…

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

What I meant was that Thrower will be very good at what he does, same goes for all the others mentioned.

Colberg could wind up as pretty good, and Galchenyuk has superstar potential.

Tinordi will likely be the #2 defenseman

and Pacioretty will (if my math is right) be in his prime at that point, so my bad

• bleedhabs81 says:

Indeed. I was just being a dink. probably because I am the last one at work because I am waiting for my wife (we work for separate companies that are directly beside each other)… i hate carpooling sometimes.

• solomio says:

He’ll be out best fighter

25. frontenac1 says:

Yeah EO Hab, when asked about the fight much later ,Jr.Butch said that Johnathan was so wirey that he let go of him for a second and got drilled right on the button,breaking it and his eyes filled up and couldn’t see a damn thing. He was also laughing about it and gave kudos to Stan. Jeeze I loved Jr.Butch and what a “stache eh?

26. GrimJim says:

What type of cape do you think SuperAgent wears?

27. naweed235 says:

To habstrinifan (re. the post on the previous tread):
    I said it before and I’ll say it again. I like Subban and think he is the best player on this team right now. But you have to be blind and naive if you chose to ignore every story that surrounded Subban in the last 2 years. I am sure that the majority of those stories were blown up because that’s what the media does but us as fans and logical human beings (if that’s even possible) can deduct our own conclusions based on the limited amount of information that is presented to us. I am not saying Subban is not liked in the locker room because I have inside information or anything. But, when I see him getting into scrums with team mates at practice almost every other week, or when guys like Cammaleri and Gomez say “he has a big mouth” or when Markov doesn’t want to comment on him, or when Jacque Martin goes on Antichambre and say that ” sometimes I am not sure if PK plays for PK or for the team” or … I can go on and on…
    Anyways maybe I am misinterpreting a lot of those stuff but then again for some reason or another, all these similar stories seem to have PK involved when there is 24 other players on the team…
    What ever it is, it’s a distraction for the team whether you’d like to admit it or not…

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Cammaleri was one of the whiniest, most selfish players ever to wear a habs uniform.

Anything Gomez says is instantly insignificant.

practice scrums happen, plus that was a very tough time for the team, they were loosing, not to mention being a Hab at the time was like being in North Korea.

Markov was being his usual crusty self.

Jaques Martin had an extreme hatred of Subban and young players in general, no one cares what he says.

so there

• naweed235 says:

well you seem to have an explanation for everything don’t you?

• GrimJim says:

Okay, I’ll play…
          1) PK has gotten into three scrums with teammates. A google search also points out that Jeff Skinner had a fight with a teammate at practice, as did Chris Neil, Akim Aliu, Steve Downie, Joey Crabb, Carl gunnarson, Keith Primeau, Bob Probert, Brian McGratton, Ray Emery…
          2) A google search of various combinations of Cammalleri and PK served up nothing where Cammy called PK “a big mouth”. Please provide a link or cite your source.
          3) The same lack of results occurred for a Gomez and PK search. However, there were lots of hits about the infamous “Gomez Snubs PK” incident where Gomez doesn’t celebrate after PK’s overtime goal. Now, given a prior incident and the intense scrutiny in Mtl, you would think Gomez bad mouthing PK would be good for at least one internet hit, right? Or if the comment came before, you would think someone would have brought it up as part of the discussion during “The Snub”
          4) The Markov comment and the extrapolation of it. I remember another Markov incident in 2009-2010 when he yelled at Price for not being sombre enough after a loss. A lot of people pointed to that incident as evidence that Price had lost the confidence of his teammates, that he could never recover, that Price disliked being in Mtl and that (1) he would be traded by the team which was the only viable option, clearly (2) Price would never re-sign in the summer of 2010 and would be on the way out as soon as he could. Clearly the same is happening to PK.
          5) TV personalities never exaggerate and/or are never wrong in their personal opinions, are they? And Jacques Martin is renowned for his interpersonal skills, right?

• ZepFan2 says:

You ignored this on the other thread. So I’ll post it again

“The frustrating part is I wanted to play with P.K., that’s why I signed (last summer) for another year. But Jacques wanted to switch it up.”

“I thought he was awesome, I’d talk to him a lot. In the Buffalo airport, as I was leaving for Detroit after the trade, he called me and talked to me for five minutes. He’s a really good kid. He just needs to play the game. That’s all it is.” – Hal Gill

You couldn’t be more wrong.

———————————————————————-
      “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• naweed235 says:

you are absolutely right. Gill was always the one who seemed to have PK’s back. Unfortunately the team is not one guy and Gillsy is no longer here…

• ZepFan2 says:

“Gillsy is no longer here…”

Neither is Cammy, Martin and maybe soon, Gomez. :wink:

Gill was a leader on the team. Do you think he’s BSing when he says, Let P.K. be P.K.?

Of course he has a big mouth. P.K. would be the first one to say so. He’s young, he’s brash and he’s ours! He’s not going anywhere.

———————————————————————-
          “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• punkster says:

Your posts have a tinge of anti-Subbanism that seemed to be based on nothing.

In your own words: “I am sure that the majority of those stories were blown up because that’s what the media does but us as fans and logical human beings (if that’s even possible) can deduct our own conclusions based on the limited amount of information that is presented to us.”

Many people jump to conclusions. Based on this quote you, my friend, have taken an Evil Kenevil Grand Canyonesque leap of monumental proportions.

Please…step away from the edge.
      ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

naweed, be prepared for a lot of flak over your opinion, but I understand your points, they are valid and not to be dismissed.

P.K. fell to the second round in the draft because of the concerns regarding his fit in the dressing room, his outspokenness, not due to anything talent-wise. He was seen as a highly-skilled player who takes a lot of chances, the anti-Ryan Murray, so to speak.

I’m optimistic, but I don’t think he’s a guaranteed Norris Trophy winner and Hall of Famer as some posters on here seem to evaluate him as. He still has a lot of work to do, mostly on growing up and learning to play within the team.

If Marc Bergevin traded him and his immense potential for a sure thing right now, I’d understand, but probably think it’s not wise, since the team will come together in a couple years time, hopefully along with P.K.’s development curve.

As far as critiquing P.K., if you stick to behaviours he demonstrates (he hogs the puck too much, and tries to hit a homerun every time at bat, instead of making the safe pass, advancing the runner) rather than character statements (he’s too selfish), you’ll be on safe ground, but again, be ready for a spirited backlash.

Last season, I would thus critique P.K. in my game recaps, with specific examples of his repetitive blunders, and no one said a peep. When I threw up my arms in surrender, and floated the idea of packaging him and Andrei Kostitsyn to discuss a trade with Nashville for Shea Weber, ooh boy, it’s like I’d peed on the Canadiens logo at centre ice. I was running the kid out of town, not trying to maximize his value and offer the kid a fresh start.

So be warned, but I do enjoy a measured countervailing opinion, as opposed to one in lockstep with most everyone (“Diaz is too small, get rid of him!”) or one that is extreme (“Shane Doan at $7M for four years? Great!)

• naweed235 says:

I appreciate the fact that you actually understand what I am trying to say as opposed to automatically criticize the post as soon as you see the words “PK” and “trade” in the same paragraph like most here. And I agree with everything you said there

• Chris says:

Subban fell into the second round because he was absolutely wild in the defensive zone. You had to see him to believe him…the other team could rotate their player right up to center ice and Subban would follow him all the way out.

Even as a 19 year old, he was an adventure in his own end but could get away with it because of his All-World speed.

Every scouting report I saw of him said that he was an outstanding talent with a great personality and wonderful enthusiasm, but his positioning was VERY raw.

• solomio says:

Would you like to see him on Boston?

28. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Petr Sýkora: yes or no?

Diaz will toil between Hamilton and Montreal honing his skills in reserve of injury. PK will be done shortly.
    This is going to be a good team.

Now lets just see if the coaching team, can put the right people together on the ice. Does the new coaching staff, have the right stuff that has been missing over the past few years.

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

You only have a couple days to get your Summit game tickets. I believe we get cut off by Wednesday next for this deal.

• habitunts1 says:

Do you think PK Subban will be traded ? His signing is overdue.

• Chris says:

Was Price traded last summer?

Subban isn’t going anywhere. How could Bergevin, widely known for being a fun-loving prankster during his career, dump Subban, the biggest breath of fresh air in the league?

I think Subban and Bergevin will hit it off very well!

• habitunts1 says:

Good Point Chris I can see Subban & Bergevin the practical joker hitting it off but also keeping PK in check at times. I still wouldnt mind seeing that #1 draft pick from Edmonton come here to play along with our #3

• boing007 says:

Trade who for Yakupov? Suggestions?

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• GrimJim says:

No, no and no.

• Ian Cobb says:

He will be going nowhere but on our blue line. He does have a very shrude agent! Don Meehan goes after the bucks.

• Chris says:

If Diaz gets sent down to Hamilton, somebody will claim him off waivers. It’s NHL or bust now for Diaz.

• solomio says:

Ian…why do you think this is going to be a good team? What have the Habs added to their on ice cellar dwelling team that will make it so?

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

Breaking Bad Bloopers

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

• Heisenberg_ says:

Well, nobody’s perfect…:p
      ;)

__________________________________________________________________ “Never give up control. Live life on your own terms. Every life comes with a death sentence.”

31. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Wow, DIAZ SINGED!!????, I hate this new GM already

• Chris says:

Understandable. He struggled at times as a rookie on North American ice for the first time in his career, but throwing him into the fire was simply uncalled for.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The correct usage is ‘sunged’, as in “Michael Jackson sunged pretty good for a twisted disfigured creep”.

32. frontenac1 says:

Diaz signed. Ricolet! Riiiiiiicolet!!! Sorry guys having some cocktails at the lake,listening to Bob Marley. Just couldn’t help myself.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I see TSN’s Team 990 is being morphed into TSN’s French-language station end of year
    …that’s too bad, because Mitch Melnick’s spot was something I occasionally would tune to on My TSN app …conveniently accessible on My Ipod Touch
    …but, while living in Montreal I was a CJAD Guy
    …the only thing I would really miss on the Team is Hab/Expo/Als-centric Mitch Melnick and his gang …I absolutely have no use for the other crap filler from ESPN, the NBA etc.
    …if CJAD would find airtime for Melnick’s format over 2 to 3 hours, I will live with no Team 990
    …since, I live in Vancouver, though, would also be nice and convenient if CJAD had an app I can download

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

34. db says:

Amazing how Cabbie can get Subban all dressed up as a Zookeeper!!… check out the tsn videos.. PK has the last word hehe

I can’t find the link in their videos but its on the main page for me right now….

I’m ok with the Diaz signing..

35. habitunts1 says:

Any member here on this site currently play ball hockey ?

• Kooch7800 says:

I play in a tournament in my home town every year. I much prefer ice hockey to Ball hockey. Ball hockey is a lot less fluid and you get hacked in the legs and wrists a ton.

• habitunts1 says:

Oh yeah the slashing and hacking are so much apart of ball hockey. Kooch do you play in the tournament in Montreal? I’m looking to land on an over 40 league team

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry Brother, I am in southern Ontario. I am sure there has to be quite a few leagues in Montreal though

• habitunts1 says:

Oh yeah Ontario has alot of elite ball hockey leagues just checking that out today. You must be pretty good yourself. I’m actully in Massachusetts but have family in Montreal. Wanted to get onto a team for weekend tournament. Thanks anyways. Love your Ryan White picture the guy’s awesome to watch as a player and fighter

36. Feraco says:

I like this move! Hopefully he can develop in a Mark Streit esc.

37. Heisenberg_ says:

2 more days untill the best thing on T.V. is back! (The best on T.V. besides our Habs of course!) Br
    —- —- ——Ba

Now lets get my favorite player P.K. signed!

• bleedhabs81 says:

I can’t view your link at work and without looking at your avatar I knew you had to be talking about breaking bad!

• Kooch7800 says:

I like that show as well. It is addicting.

I am interested to see where they are going to take it now

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was responding with a longer comment when I realized there would be too many spoilers. We should stop for the rest of the gang.

EDIT: Kooch, nice edit to remove the spoiler. Well done.

• Heisenberg_ says:

That’s why I picked that trailer. I’d seen the other one which gave away the season 4 climax about 10 shows in to season 4. It ruined the end for me but I still love the show.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve been lucky in that I knew the barebones premise of the show, and knew the acclaim it got, but otherwise went in cold, so that was great. I watched on DVD or online, tried to limit to one episode a day max, but it was hard to not start a second episode right away some nights, same as with “Dexter” or “The Shield”.

Generally I stay away from previews and reviews, they tend to spoil the plot too much. This really paid off when I saw “Terminator 2″, I didn’t know Arnold was the good guy, I really enjoyed the plot twist that way. In the previews, they gave it away, so all the suspense in the first part of the movie during the chase is for naught.

• Heisenberg_ says:

I also tried to keep it down to 1 show a night, but there where lots of times when the ‘addiction’ (I guess there’s a little Jesse in me!) would win out and I would end watching 3 or 4 shows up till 2 am.

Edit:re-T2
            That must have been pretty cool watching T2 like that. You probably didn’t know Arnold was the good guy untill that awesome scene in the mall when Arnold hauled out a shotgun from the box of roses.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, when he was stalking the young John Connor and had him cornered in the mall, I thought to myself: “It’s way too soon in the movie for the climax, what stupid plot twist is coming up?”

I was pretty impressed, thoroughly enjoyed it. Avoid previews, folks! Two thirds of the way into a movie you still know what’s coming up.

• Kooch7800 says:

My bad

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• ZepFan2 says:

No spoilers, please.

I’m only finishing season 3. I’ll be caught up real soon.

———————————————————————-
          “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• piper says:

Started watching it on a disc last winter, i think it was season 2. Could not stop watching it, great show.

• Hobie Hansen says:

They are a season or two behind on Netflix….pisses me off. I know there are alternatives but I’m lazy.

38. frontenac1 says:

I remember that well Lizard.Habs were Tough Motherfu….back then .And Skilled as all get out. We can only hope it will return sometime soon. Hola!

39. Max_a_million says:

Is anyone hoping the Habs made that huge offer for Doan? It’s about the size of what would be freed up from demoting Gomez. Everyone is calling for a player on our second wing. …

Crazy money yes, but you don’t have to give up any assets like you would for Nash or Ryan, along with paying them crazy money.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if it was the Habs.

• LA Loyalist says:

After seeing Doan in the playoffs, I would take him in a heartbeat, though obviously not more than 3 years.

The fact that the KINGS have made an offer, when they must have hated him in that series, shows respect. Vancouver and San Jose have also made offers.

What a message that would send to our other players that any floaters on the team will be buried in shallow graves!

C’mon M. Bergevin, open the desk drawer, take out the checkbook, and get busy.

40. thondia58 says:

Did I miss something, was Baby Boom Geoffrion signed? if not, and he and PK are the only one left unsigned.

41. Lizardking89 says:

On the NHL network here in the states they’re showing Philly Vs the Habs 1976 cup final. I wonder if the Habs will ever be an elite team like that again.

42. Hoegaarden says:

Saving the best (PK) for last. Let’s hope he gets a similar deal to what CP got.

43. commandant says:

Heard it is 1.2 million per season for Diaz.

Very fair deal to lock him up for if true.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

44. Un Canadien errant says:

Mike Boone, silencing the critics with their “It’s Friday so he’s gone fishing” cracks! Readying the glow sticks for a Friday night rave is more likely, but still, there’s always time for a quick HIO update and new thread to sate the beast.

EDIT: Of course, a new thread while the old one was at a mere 720 comments isn’t going to help out Little Jimmy any…

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…don’t know if mentioned on the previous thread or not, as I am enjoying My summer too much to drop-in more than occasionally …but overheard on Mitch Melnick’s TSN Team 990 show is that Shane Doan offered $ 30 million over 4 years by an Eastern division team
    …no word if that offer made by Our Habs, but unlikely We would commit +$ 7 million/season to a Shane Doan
    …would love Him on Our Team, but not at that price
    …so, who ??? …Da Weeds ???

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

Repost:

…for the foreseeable future I will be annoyingly and shamelessly crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats
    …now some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor …and/or do not want yet another low-number unavailable to contemporary Players
    …maybe forgetting Toe Blake won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career …He was an essential component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on the ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day
    …most remember Toe Blake as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us were inspired by to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own
    …Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon
    …Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach
    …His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre
    …the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage
    …I wish to request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong
    …I suggested to Ian to theme this year’s Summit on Toe Blake …to incorporate some homage to Toe …maybe even make a request to Hurley’s Tavern to try to replicate the ambiance of the famed former Toe Blake’s Tavern
    …I will leave that to Ian, of what is doable in that regard …knowing Ian, He is more than capable
    …meanwhile, some clear input must be made by Habs Fans that agree with the objective, to let Their feelings and opinions be known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens Management
    …that means You !!! Boys and Girls
    …if this is something You would like to make right as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Retire Number 6 !!!’
    …if anyOne out there have other suggestions please let Ian and I know …they will be considered and appreciated

The following are the most relevant to send your testomonial to Retire Number 6 !!!:
    Geoff Molson: President and Owner (Twitter; @gmolsonchc)
    Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Send your testimonial to:

[Name of person]
    c/o The Montreal Canadiens
    1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Them Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

47. WarHero says:

Good signing! I think Diaz has more to offer in the offensive department if he gets the chance :)

• kbhab4ever says:

The Habs bigest FAIL since 93 is that the HABS have never maximized the assets of our skilled offensive players.I hope that changes .It has to!!!

48. shiram says:

what of Geoffrion?
    first it’s insulting Palushaj and now completely forgetting a 4th generation Habs?
    Tut tut Mister Boone! :p

• Kooch7800 says:

I think Geoffrion will make the team this year and play in the bottom six

• Un Canadien errant says:

The thing about Blake Geoffrion is his skating needs a lot of work before he’s a true NHL caliber player. I’m not the best judge of these things, but in some games on the plasma last season he stood out he was so slow, and I usually only notice for guys like Hal Gill and Derek Boogaard. Another consideration is that once he’s played three more NHL games it will make him waiver eligible. So with these things in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was kept in Hamilton all of next season, to work on his skating, his game, get tonnes of minutes in all situations, provide some ‘veteran’ presence for the AHL newbies, and not clog up a roster sport on the Grand Club. 2013-14 would be his chance to make the team.